Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E06: Week 6

• Start Topic

Wonder if there will be a tribute to Prince. Of course it's almost impossible to get clearance for his music.

He was not a dancer but like Stevie Wonder, he made great dance music.

Edited by gohawks

If they can't get clearance for his songs, which I agree will be impossible, the one thing they can do is replay Nicole and Derek's cute Kiss Cha Cha that was the only song cleared because Nicole asked him as a friend.

Prince songs are notoriously hard to clear, but a slight correction - in addition to Nicole, Erin & Maks ("You've Got the Look") and Alfonso & Witney ("Trust") also danced to his songs.

Edited by Mbeaker

If they can't get clearance for his songs, which I agree will be impossible, the one thing they can do is replay Nicole and Derek's cute Kiss Cha Cha that was the only song cleared because Nicole asked him as a friend.

No thank you, I prefer for this season to remain a Hough free zone.  And I hope to never have to see Zinger the Ringer again.

• Love 1

While I agree that there probably won't be a Prince tribute this week because of clearance issues, I believe that if it does happen, it will probably be in the Finals and IMO there's only one contestant this season who should dance to a Prince song and that's Nyle because Prince's music was all about breaking barriers and so is Nyle .

Actually with MJ they had competition in the All Star Season with all MJ songs from the Bad album.

That was just a Michael Jackson themed week. In season 8 (2009) they did an all-pro tribute to Patrick Swayze the week after he passed and then a month later did an all-pro Michael Jackson tribute (with a special intro from LaToya).

I'd prefer if they followed suit with any potential Prince tribute, honestly.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 2

I am soooo proud of Jodie what a rough week she had shes a trooper and I loved the dance it was more like a fierce version of contemporary rather than being soft. Well done!

• Love 8

FWIW, Nyle's been stealthily as arrogant/cocky as Antonio this whole season in his pre-dance packages.....only Len decided to ding him tonight for the specific Val comment. He's gotten a pass because he's Nyle and (for all we know) he's been punctual and on time for all his practices with Peta.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 8

Wow, I tuned in just in time to see Nyle reveal himself as an arrogant dick. Honey, you're not that good and your 10 last week was a complete joke. I hope he loses.

Edited by WhitneyWhit
  • Love 7

Nyle is just confident , he's not a dick by any stretch LOL. I think there's something between him and Val  lol 

Was that a freestyle by Ginger?? That just seemed way too slow. 

• Love 1

I'm not going to diss Nyle for his comments during the pre-package...he's confident, not arrogant IMO.  As to the judges comments....I agree, Len and Carrie probably never saw The Mask.

Paige/Mark's dance was energetic and fun...but not worth a 10.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 5

Was that a freestyle by Ginger?? That just seemed way too slow.

To be fair, Nasty Boys isn't a particularly fast song. I thought it was very Janet Jackson-esque. PureDWTS has it as a jazz routine, which means ... anything.

Did they bring back Henry back as one of the boys? I couldn't quite tell. And Shannon might be becoming my favorite troupe member; he fits my tall, dark, and bearded type quite nicely. Also, is Alan MIA this week?

<EDIT> Just kidding, found Alan!

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

I really think Nyle was mostly kidding with his comments, but that is what editing will do for you.  But he said it, so got to take the lumps and move on.  You learn to be careful since they can edit everything you say however you want.  Nyle in general has a fairly good sense of humor though.

So basically everything is a really big group dance tonight.

Jodie IMO got the hardest assignment by far, but she did as well as she could with it, especially with Keo not being the best choreographer.

Nasty isn't a particularly fast song and I thought Ginger did well enough with it all things considered.  Though it felt like there was a long 15-30 second period where she mostly just walked around the guys and then down the line without really doing anything but acting and mouthing words.  Also loved that of course Ginger got a package about how hard her life is and blah blah blah.  Does she think the rest of the women on this show don't have families and other jobs outside of dance?  At least you have a job that allows you time off whenever you feel you need a rest.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 11

For someone that was screwed with his dance, Doug sold Jai Ho. Much less cringe-worthy than Gilles's try, but only because they didn't try to make it head to toe Bollywood. I was pretty entertained.

Though it felt like there was a long 15-30 second period where she mostly just walked around the guys and then down the line without really doing anything but acting and mouthing words.

Val pretty much copied the choreo for the dance directly ... Janet Jackson spends a lot of time walking around in that video, too.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

First thing's first, Paige's "I'm just a fighter edit" is completely fabricated. There's no way you're busting out double pirouettes without previous dance training. Don't get me wrong, Paige is by far my favorite female contestant, but she's clearly trained.

Secondly, I'm sorry but Nyle deserved to be brought down a notch for those comments. Any female contestant who's said that in the past (Tamar, Rumer) were raked over the coals. If you don't want to be treated differently bc you're deaf, well there you go eat some humble pie. 

Thirdly, I'm a big Val fan but I get nothing from Ginger's dancing. It's so... sterile...

• Love 11
I really think Nyle was mostly kidding with his comments, but that is what editing will do for you.  But he said it, so got to take the lumps and move on.  You learn to be careful since they can edit everything you say however you want.  Nyle in general has a fairly good sense of humor though.

I thought it was obvious that he was kidding. I've seen him on the after shows talking about how great Wanya, Paige, and Ginger. I really don't for one second think he actually meant that. I agree about the editing, too. IT happened a lot to Tamar last season. Loved their dance. It embodied the movie, which I thought was the point of this whole night.

For someone that was screwed with his dance, Doug sold Jai Ho. Much less cringe-worthy than Gilles's try, but only because they didn't try to make it head to toe Bollywood. I was pretty entertained.

Haha. I kind of like Gille's bollywood dance. I get the sense, though that a lot of people hated it.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
  • Love 3

Val pretty much copied the choreo for the dance directly ... Janet Jackson spends a lot of time walking around in that video, too.

Yes, but considering this is a dance show I would think they would be allowed to amend sections of the choreography from the original dance that weren't really dancing.  Or maybe they are not...and if so, why choose this number?  That is if Val chose it.

Though to be fair, I don't think Ginger was better/worse than most others tonight.  She was kind of cheerleader Janet.  But still kind of feels like most everyone has been on par with each other with no real amazing standouts.  Paige has been the best of the bunch so far.

Haha. I kind of like Gille's bollywood dance. I get the sense, though that a lot of people hated it.

I liked Gilles's dance, too. He was the best choice, imo, to attempt an actual Bollywood routine with. But yeah, it was generally panned as being culturally insensitive and all cliche, I think. Doug's dance was less so.

Yes, but considering this is a dance show I would think they would be allowed to amend sections of the choreography from the original dance that weren't really dancing.

I would have imagined so, too, but I think it depends on the pro. You've got pros who throw in homages to their dances (Lindsay, Sharna) and those that just copy the original (Val, Derek).

I was a Backstreet Boys girl but damn if Wayna didn't kill his *N'Sync dance.

I actually like this season's group of dances better than last years. Outside of Nyle's Hey Paucho there were less obvious choices (I'm looking at you, again with Dirty Dancing).

• Love 1

First thing's first, Paige's "I'm just a fighter edit" is completely fabricated. There's no way you're busting out double pirouettes without previous dance training. Don't get me wrong, Paige is by far my favorite female contestant, but she's clearly trained.

Secondly, I'm sorry but Nyle deserved to be brought down a notch for those comments. Any female contestant who's said that in the past (Tamar, Rumer) were raked over the coals. If you don't want to be treated differently bc you're deaf, well there you go eat some humble pie. 

Thirdly, I'm a big Val fan but I get nothing from Ginger's dancing. It's so... sterile...

I agree with all three points. I've never liked Mark, so I haven't been rooting for Paige, but she's almost as good as the pros. That's kinda what Maks was implying last week when he called out her lines and pointed toes and extensions - she clearly has training and knows what she's doing.

I'm pulling for Nyle this season, but his look was ugly tonight - the face and the boastful comments. Boo.

Lastly, Erin really bugs. I think she's such a bad host. Enough with the "show us that move!" Someone with comedic chops would be so much better. Bring back Leah Remini!

• Love 2

I'll give Nyle a pass for what sounded like overconfidence this week because until now, he's had virtually no critique. I put that on the judges.

He has no background in dance and likely hasn't paid much attention to it in the past. So all he knows about his abilities is what they're telling him and although he's great for a beginner, they've been giving him a pass. I hope they start giving him constructive criticism that Peta can use to polish him up and make him really great.

• Love 2

I haven't seen this yet, so I don't know what he said (west coast) but I wonder if the ASL translator's intonation made it sound more cocky than intended. It's not his voice you're hearing, so the delivery may be off.

Actually, I mostly just check in here these days to see who got tossed, and watch occasional excerpts in the recap - and lately they haven't included the comments, just the dance.

Edited by akr
  • Love 2

Hmmm ... not sure what their play is by putting Paige in jeopardy.

I wonder what it means that the week after Jodie was with someone that was not Keo she's no longer in the bottom? But then again, Kim wasn't in jeopardy tonight, so maybe it's not Keo? I don't know.

Not shocked. I'm glad Doug went out on a dance he had fun with, though. I feel like everyone else could go out next, though.

• Love 2

Carrie Ann and Len must not have seen the movie The Mask... Nyle and Peta were spectacular!

Nor did they remember when Helio and Julianne did the same for their freestyle waaaaaay back in season 5.  

I only saw starting with Nyle (which I hope was bad editing even though I was confused) but Wanya took me back to 2000 so that worked.  Ginger...walked around a lot.  But given the video, it was to be expected.  Had it been one of the other songs off Control, I would have demanded more.  

And wasn't Antonio the one that was showing up late?  If he was, he's got some nerve saying "we're not a team" to Sharna.  (Someone correct if I'm wrong.)  

Next week: double elim!  Battle of the sexes dance! It must be sweeps.

• Love 2

FWIW, Nyle's been stealthily as arrogant/cocky as Antonio this whole season in his pre-dance packages.....only Len decided to ding him tonight for the specific Val comment. He's gotten a pass because he's Nyle and (for all we know) he's been punctual and on time for all his practices with Peta.

Nyle doesn't get a pass from me. He came across as arrogant.....how could he possibly think he is on the level of competing with Val? Nyle verified that statement by saying he doesn't think he is competing against any of his fellow celebrities. My opinion of Nyle fell a few notches. I'm so glad Len called him out on it and brought him back to reality. Way to go, Len!

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 10

I find it very hard to believe that Kim/Sasha weren't in the bottom three vote getting pairs. But I'm not sure who out of Mark/Paige and Witney/Von they'd replace in the "true" bottom three. Clearly Paige and Von are lagging in votes....so hopefully this helps going into a double elimination. If Paige/Mark go next week I will be super bummed.

This was a really weird night of dances because so many of the dances were basically tests of the individual celebrities dance ability and synchronicity. Especially Von, Ginger, Wanya, and Antonio at least till the last 25 seconds seconds or so. But then you had Paige and Nyle and Kim who had much more traditional partner-intensive dances. I thought it made Ginger stand out in a bad way. She just seemed super slow for that routine and I kept waiting for it to kick into high gear.

Glad Doug went out on a relatively high note. He held his own pretty good in a style that I thought would completely confuse him.

This was the first time all season I thought Jodi and Keo honestly got underscored by at least a point or two.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2

And wasn't Antonio the one that was showing up late? If he was, he's got some nerve saying "we're not a team" to Sharna. (Someone correct if I'm wrong.) .

I believe Witney was charging Von for being late (and for farting).

Glad Doug was the eliminated contestant today. There are still a few I think should go but I am not hating any of the dancing (but I am so tired of Ginger).

I think Jodie was underscored again. I didnt think she was only 1 point better than Ginger.I thought Paige was overscored. There is no way that her dance was anywhere close to as good as Wanda so I don't get the 10 from Len for her and not for him. There's something I find off-putting about Paige and I'm not quite sure what it is. I hated her sticking her bottom lip out like she was pouting she was in "jeopardy". You're a grown woman don't give boo-boo lip like you're a toddler who wasn't allower a cookie.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 5