Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E06: Week 6

• Start Topic

So I guess I should just accept that the dances this week will be a troupe-a-poluza.

Kim:  Choreographed by Adam Shankman?  I think that's the first time I've heard them give credit to an outside choreographer for a couples dance.  Maybe that was part of his deal?  Fun, well done, nice, nothing remarkable. CAI : maybe energy was "just a hair under" because Kim's dancing on stress fractures.  Scores are good.

Von:  In the white tile "tunnel", he was good but once he got out onto the dancefloor,  he lost energy. After each of a couple turns, he just petered out, almost like he didn't know what comes next. But then he picked it up again.  A very uneven performance.   Scores are ok.

Jodie: I felt a rage all over again for those 2 guest choreographers.  Jodie did an amazing job, a bit safe a few times, understandably, but she's a brave one.  I noticed she seemed to be walking ok.  She's got to be on painkillers.  Underscored! For all she went through, they couldn't all give her 9s? Not one 10?  She deserves better.

Paige:  Very fun dance, thrown together on the fly.  The 10 was a surprise but I think she's earned it by now.   (Take a seat Paula!)

Nyle:  Cable kept going out, racing between the tv on my desk where I watch and the other tv where I record, I missed most of it.  But what little I did see, he seemed to be racing more than I was between home office and bedroom.

Ginger:  Not surprised the schedule is getting to her.   A little out of sync here and there but I don't think she carried off the character.  It was too soft - there was no attitude.  I almost think she and Paige should have traded dances. Scores ok.

Doug:  I had no idea what to expect...Doug doing Bollywood? Crazy. But I thought he did great. Helped by simplish choreography and even with all the male troupe, he wasn't always just copying their moves. Most important, he looked like he was enjoying this dance (even if I could see him counting).   Underscored. I think they could have given a 8 or two.

Wanya:  Yea. Ok. They copied the music video instead of  using it as inspiration or just using parts of it.  I'd rather watch the real NSYNC. Sorry. Didn't care for this. Joey was funny though.  Massively overscored but I guess some liked it.

Antonio:  Get over yourself. Your poor little feelings were hurt? Try putting in the time to do more than just learning the steps.  He really raced through that! Out of sync with both the other dancers and the music.  At one point it looked like Antonio would topple over.  Sloppy. Absurdly overscored.

Sorry to see Doug go. There's one or two I'd rather have gone first.

• Love 1

Those talking heads always reek of producer manipulation, especially when the producer is sitting off camera talking and asking questions. If Nyle really said that he was better than all of the other male contestants, that's definitely an arrogance problem. If he said he wants to be as good as Val, well, that's unattainable, but also it makes sense that he'd be looking to the pros for dance role models. And Nyle IS a good dancer. It's sort of absurd everyone's supposed to feign modesty and be all self-deprecating (especially when it comes to women on this show).

• Love 4

I thought Doug and Jodie had by far the hardest dance assignments and both coped with it really well. Jai Ho could have been so much worse and Doug looked like he was having a lot of fun.

Ginger was kind of like the nicest girl who is a cheerleader doing "Nasty." Everything was very clean and well done but not nasty.

I hate anyone who starts to compare themselves to the pros but I thought Nyle was pretty obviously kidding with his comments. He was laughing throughout that segment.

Wayna and Lindsay are the best. Great to see Lance and Joey. 

Alan was in approximately 87 dances tonight. I wonder how the pay works, does he get paid the same as Artem and Edyta who were in one each? (And really show, you couldn't have thrown a little more Artem in?)

• Love 2

I believe Witney was charging Von for being late (and for farting).

But I think Antonio was just late, all the time. Sharna explained as much to Karina last week via Facetime when Karina was waiting for Antonio to show up. He was what, an hour late at that point? And Sharna just said, "Sounds about right."

Not to mention the rumors that Antonio is spending more time football training than dance training and generally doesn't care much about DWTS ...

Edited by McManda
  • Love 3

Random thoughts, Kim's dress was flattering. During Von's dance, I had a hard time focusing on him, I was looking at Artem and Whitney. Camera work for Antonio was wonky, but at one point was on his feet for a few seconds, liked that. I cannot stand Jim Carrey and have never been able to watch The Mask, I thought that Nyle did ok, did catch the out of sync moments. Jodie Sweetin has a very healthy body instead of stick with boobs. I do try to watch the dances but can't help but notice. And on that note, Carrie Ann seems to be losing her dancer body. Doug was probably the weakest dancer, so it was time for him to go.

Len calling out Nyle for comparing himself to Val seems like producer-driven drama. Peta is engaged to Val's brother, so I thought it was obviously an inside joke between them because they even showed a quick shot of Val giving Nyle a 10 after Len's criticism. But why not compare yourself to a pro? If you want to get better at something, you put yourself with people who are better than you, not at your same level.

• Love 8

I thought most of the dances were really good. Even Ginger, my least favorite among the female celebs, was pretty good. But that's one of Janet Jackson's best songs, so maybe I'm just predisposed to like the dance.

Wanya killed it, and he's become my pick to win. I thought Jodie was amazing, and I really liked Kim's dance. I hope her performing so early in the show doesn't hurt her with votes.

With a double elimination next week, who do we think will get the boot? I'm thinking there's a good chance that Von is one of them. He just doesn't seem all that into it. I'd love to see Ginger leave, but I doubt that'll happen, so it'll probably be Kim. This is the first season in a while that we've gotten to the midpoint and I couldn't point to anyone as a lousy dancer who needs to go. It's an interesting lineup.

• Love 2

Jodie IMO got the hardest assignment by far, but she did as well as she could with it, especially with Keo not being the best choreographer.

I wish the judges had taken the difficulty of Jodie's dance into consideration when scoring. Those 8's should have been 9's. She wasn't perfect but she was really good and had an incredibly challenging dance. I feel like Jodie's been consistently underscored this season. There's been some premature/undeserved 10s handed out yet Jodie can barely get deserved 9s. 

I love Nyle but I hate arrogant people and I thought his comments were off-putting. Maybe he was joking but it was a silly thing to say nonetheless. I was actually glad to see him get some proper criticism because the judges have been overlooking a lot of his failings, like his posture, in the past. If he thinks he's on the same level as Val then he should be judged as so. 

• Love 5

I really don't take any of the faux B3 stuff that seriously and I don't think it's always a sign that somebody is on the brink of elimination, because if they were then everyone would be on the brink of elimination.  Sometimes it's just your turn to sweat it out.  Personally I think they just stuck Paige there since she got called out for lack of rumba last week and somebody had to stand there.

The only thing I really think about the B3 was that Kim was likely there and the show wants her gone next and so didn't put her there because doing so would only rally votes.  It's not a coincidence they keep burying Kim in the first or second slots.  Or how they made a big deal about Jodie's injury, but not Kim's actually more serious stress fractures.  So they weren't putting Kim in that B3 no matter what.

Liked Doug.  He did better than I expected.  Wanya killed it.  I love Lindsay.  Antonio was much better though don't love him making it sound like everything is Sharna's fault.

• Love 3

Did Kim really say Keo was ok for a "one-and-done," but not for a whole season? Man, that's a pretty obnoxious thing to say.

The way I heard it, Keo kind of abandoned her after the dance which may be why she made that comment. 

• Love 1

Len calling out Nyle for comparing himself to Val seems like producer-driven drama. Peta is engaged to Val's brother, so I thought it was obviously an inside joke between them because they even showed a quick shot of Val giving Nyle a 10 after Len's criticism. But why not compare yourself to a pro? If you want to get better at something, you put yourself with people who are better than you, not at your same level.

Nyle is confident but clearly he was joking about Val. I wouldn't be surprised if it was egged-on by the production team so they could knock the assumed front runner down a peg. This sort of thing seems to happen every season to at least one pair. 

• Love 6

Nyle clearly screwed up on the side to side portion of the dancing when he and Peta were waving their arms. They were so off sync it almost looked like they were doing mirror images. Then that threw him off the beat until he got back into hold and was given his next cue.

My biggest problem with Jodie's dance was that it was not fluid enough. You could see slight pauses before some of the trickier lifts as I'm sure she was bracing for the ankle pain and tentative about being hurt again. I'm pretty sure that's why the judges didn't really call her out on that, but gave her 8's.

Ginger had no soul whatsoever in her dance. That was so vanilla I was cringing. There was nothing NASTY about that dance. I'm not sure Paige could have done better. Jodie would have probably killed it though.

Does anyone know what song/dance got axed from Mark & Paige?

• Love 6

...... And on that note, Carrie Ann seems to be losing her dancer body. .......

Losing?....CAI has lost her dancer's body. But that's perfectly OK with me. She is in middle age now and that is a normal part of aging. She still has a killer body for her age. This is  CAI back up dancer for Madonna.......

https://youtu.be/PeM4-2JNM6Q

CAI dancing coming down the pole, topless in same Madonna show.....

https://youtu.be/qj-IceHW4H8

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 2

The way I heard it, Keo kind of abandoned her after the dance which may be why she made that comment.

Maybe, but it was still disrespectful.

As for Antonio's speech to Sharna, it was a very team sport/football perspective. Imagine if his team was headed to the Super Bowl, and he heard a teammate say that the other team was probably going to win because so-and-so's such a great player. What? That's sacrilege! So I see his point. That being said, next time he's late, Sharna can definitely tell him that he's not being a team player.

• Love 6

If Paige and Mark's dance seemed unworthy of a 10, I think it could be because the music is rather low key and the Austin Powers dance is not that impactful of a "famous" dance. However, looking at the technique, musicality, and detailing of their number, I can see how someone like Len would want to give them a 10.

• Love 6

At first, I thought that Nyle was being very arrogant with his comments, but the more I thought about it, it seemed like he was only joking. Nonetheless, he should avoid saying things like that because even if he's joking, people will be turned off.

In terms of the dances:

-Jodie did a great job with her challenging contemporary and Wanya shone with his N'Sync routine.

- Nyle's dance was good, but his frame wasn't.

-Ginger didn't convince me because I feel like she didn't give enough attitude to sell the dance.

-Paige's dance is the first of hers that I actually loved.

-I was expecting Doug Flutie's Bollywood dance to be a disaster, but he did better than I thought. His elimination seems fair to me though.

• Love 2

As for Antonio's speech to Sharna, it was a very team sport/football perspective. Imagine if his team was headed to the Super Bowl, and he heard a teammate say that the other team was probably going to win because so-and-so's such a great player. What? That's sacrilege! So I see his point. That being said, next time he's late, Sharna can definitely tell him that he's not being a team player.

Fair enough. I didn't like Keo's attitude last week so I guess I'm on Kim's side in this one.

As for Antonio, a tough coach will sit a player's ass out of a game if he's not bringing it. He should know that. It's about commitment, and him bringing it up gave Sharna an opportunity to get his head back in the game. That said, Sharna had a couple of foot-in-mouth moments last week in the packages, so maybe she was a little off her game - not dancing but being mindful of the producer-driven drama that such moments can be exploited for. 

• Love 1

From what I heard, though not confirmed, Mark/Paige originally had Opposites Attract by Paula Abdul.  However at some point Paula changed her mind and said they couldn't have rights to the song.  Which is fishy because Paula was in the audience tonight.  She also choreographed Nasty, so that was partly why she was there I'm sure.  But why deny one of the couples your song and then show up to watch the show?

• Love 2

Even tho I was entertained by the dances, I still think this theme is stupid. I want to see original choreography not a rehash and how the heck are the judges supposed to judge this? Way too many extra dancers, just big production numbers. I miss the intimacy of ballroom dancing.

• Love 7

Oh snap!!! I guess Sharna's comment lit a fire under Antonio cause that was his best dance all season He slayed that jive just now!!!

I thought the same thing to. Last week when Sharna made that comment I immediately thought of how Antonio Brown would take it, and it turns out it made him want to take dancing more seriously and win that Mirror Ball trophy even more. :)

• Love 1

I was mad about Paige being in jeopardy, because while she may not have actually been there, it makes the audience think you are and I hope she doesn't go next week in the double elimination.

She's my number 1 this season and for her to and have to deal with 4 more weeks without her would be very boring, IMO, because Nyle is being fawned over and the men just in general. I get TPTB want a male winner after only having 2 win since season 14, but Wanya is the only one who actually dances the best, granted he's not my favorite by any means, but The agenda just seems very "the men are AMAZING" this season and then they throw out a men vs. women team dance and I can't see a scenario where the judges allow the men to lose that.

• Love 3

I haven't voted in a few years but decided to do so again this season since I'm actually watching it. I have a question though. Do they reduce the amount of votes we can use online as the number of couples goes down?

For those who have wondered about Paige possibly having some dance training, the answer is that she's had a lot of dance experience!  Her parents owned a dance studio, and she trained in ballet, jazz, and hip hop for more than 13 years.

I 100% agree with you. I guess that a lot of people on here don't watch football because if they did they would know that it is a team sport and you have to rely on your teammates a lot, and the same goes with dancing.

I haven't voted in a few years but decided to do so again this season since I'm actually watching it. I have a question though. Do they reduce the amount of votes we can use online as the number of couples goes down?

Yes, they do reduce the amount of votes you get as each couple gets eliminated. I would know because I have been voting online for over 4 years. lol.

• Love 1

Oh - I thought Nyle meant he was competing with Val in the who-has-the-most-rabid poster-buying fan-club, which was arrogant enough, but kind of a funny point.  I don't think it's possible for him to be so arrogant as to suggest that he dances as well as Val, so maybe I was just looking for another explanation (like he was joking?)

• Love 1

My cable cut out and I missed Nyle's pre-dance package. Could someone please tell me what Nyle said?

Thank you.

He said Val is his biggest competition, not the stars, and that he doesn't think of of the pro dancers are better than him. (roughly what he said)

As for Antonio, a tough coach will sit a player's ass out of a game if he's not bringing it. He should know that. It's about commitment, and him bringing it up gave Sharna an opportunity to get his head back in the game. That said, Sharna had a couple of foot-in-mouth moments last week in the packages, so maybe she was a little off her game - not dancing but being mindful of the producer-driven drama that such moments can be exploited for.

I totally agree, but a coach would never go public re: why the player was benched. That's my only criticism in regards to what Sharna said, and what was behind Antonio's gripe. Otherwise, I'm totally team Sharna, and support her frustration if he's ever late or dogging it. That's why they both have to be team players, and I think they figured that out. (Team Boom, is it?!)

Remember when this show just featured borderline famous people dancing in ballroom styles and didn't look like a Halloween party on speed? I miss those days.

• Love 11

Part of why I hated this theme last season and tonight is because I don't want to see recycled ideas and recycled choreography. Too many times tonight it was just the same stuff from what they were basing it off off. Paige was one of the only ones that seemed to be more original and not just a complete recreation or borrowing at least 85% of the original.

I can see why Len gave it a 10 because of the detailing, the athleticism, and the fact that it felt more refreshing and fun.

• Love 4

I'm not going to diss Nyle for his comments during the pre-package...he's confident, not arrogant IMO. As to the judges comments....I agree, Len and Carrie probably never saw The Mask.

Paige/Mark's dance was energetic and fun...but not worth a 10.

This is not the first time someone has danced to Hey! Pachuco, so this is not exactly a valid argument for why Len disliked Nyle's dance. Len has gone on record as saying his favorite Quickstep on DWTS is Helio and Julianne's from season 5 to the same song/theme - right down to the same "banana suit."

• Love 3

He said Val is his biggest competition, not the stars, and that he doesn't think of of the pro dancers are better than him. (roughly what he said)

Thanks!

That's quite a statement. It doesn't sound like a joke or that his interpreter used the wrong tone of voice.

Nyle might have been joking but I don't care. This isn't his first reality show rodeo and he should know better. It's a dick thing to say, even as a joke and disrespectful to the other competitors and to Val who has put years into getting as good as he is. Plus, his dance was a sloppy mess. He was out of sync and his frame continues to be poor. Those scores were kind. Even Doug's screw ups weren't quite as noticeable.

Wayna was amazing. There's a true musicality to his dancing that makes him stand out. He's always right in the pocket and knows exactly when to go big and when to be soft. I love that Lindsay gets to have this amazing partner because she's been doing such good work.

Paige was also fabulous. Mark was so smart with that choreography. Paige was almost always closer to the camera and always more centre than him. It really helped her stand out considering his costume was a real attention getter. Her turns, her feet, her lines and her precise movements are such standouts. And I really thought she had some serious personality this week too. I don't think she has the fan base to win, but I really want to see her freestyle. I do not want her to go home yet.

Jodie was underscored. She danced the hell out of a very difficult number and I believed her emotional connection to that piece. I also think someone could have thrown an 8 at Doug considering the huge improvement and energy of his performance. There was one moment where he blended so well with the guys and I was blown away. Antonio, was for me, over scored. I wasn't feeling his dance at all and I think it was hectic and lacking jive. Kim was right on the money but I do worry about her for next week.

Ginger and Von got the hardest jobs of the night. They both looked low energy and nowhere near sharp enough for that Jackson style. Obviously Michael and Janet were different dancers but they shared a lot too and neither Von or Ginger quite got it. Ginger was the weakest for me of everyone including Doug. It was like watching a junior high talent show number. She was just a giant cheeseball. You don't actually have to be a nasty person to dance that way. Janet has always been a sweetheart girl next door type who just happens to be able to flip a switch and perform. Ginger has never been in the pocket for s single second while dancing. I wish she'd go home, but I doubt it'll happen.

• Love 7

And wasn't Antonio the one that was showing up late? If he was, he's got some nerve saying "we're not a team" to Sharna. (Someone correct if I'm wrong.)

Correct. Antonio has been habitually late, and yet they made Sharna out to be the bad guy. That's rich.

Uke, Tom was crediting Adam Shankman as the choreographer of Hairspray, the movie, not Kim's routine.

Edited by Mbeaker
  • Love 1

Ginger and Von got the hardest jobs of the night. They both looked low energy and nowhere near sharp enough for that Jackson style. Obviously Michael and Janet were different dancers but they shared a lot too and neither Von or Ginger quite got it. Ginger was the weakest for me of everyone including Doug. It was like watching a junior high talent show number. She was just a giant cheeseball. You don't actually have to be a nasty person to dance that way. Janet has always been a sweetheart girl next door type who just happens to be able to flip a switch and perform. Ginger has never been in the pocket for s single second while dancing. I wish she'd go home, but I doubt it'll happen.

Totally agree with this. Michael and Janet are different performers but there is a specificity to the Jackson style of dancing. Ginger has never been in the pocket, even though I would say her Salsa was the closest thing to it. But for that street jazz style, there's a certain attitude to it, that Janet and Paula had back in the day that Ginger does not. Smirk does not equal attitude. It's a whole vibe, not a facial expression. However Tamar got criticism last season for hitting it like Janet as well, so it just goes to show that Jackson choreography is hard to do, not that that is any surprise. 

• Love 1

Haha. I kind of like Gille's bollywood dance. I get the sense, though that a lot of people hated it.

I don't think it was the dance. I think at that point people just couldn't stand Gilles anymore.

Doug's dance was less so.

Doug's dance was essentially the final dance number from the movie down to the costumes, so I don't imagine anyone would be bothered by it since that was the assignment for the week.

Nor did they remember when Helio and Julianne did the same for their freestyle waaaaaay back in season 5.

It wasn't for their freestyle, it was interestingly, for a Quickstep. And I always thought that dance was WAY overrated but then I thought Helio was overrated and a mostly mediocre to decent dancer who won because he was popular and Julianne had some really clever choreography.

I see the producers this time wisely gave the celebrities a dance style that matched the damn famous dance. The obvious Jive-esque songs were Jives, they just straight up gave Doug Bollywood, there were a whole bunch of Jazz assignments, etc. Because I think that was the worse part of this stupid gimmick last season - assigning Witney and Carlos a rumba but telling them they had to recreate the Pony dance sequence from Magic Mike. Like wtf?

That said, from the performances I did see (missed Ginger and Wanya), I thought everyone did fairly okay. Unpopular opinion but I actually thought Paige deserved her 10. I think on the first glance the dance didn't seem as flashy as Antonio's or maybe even Nyle's but there were a lot of really intricate little details and touches in that dance that she just nailed. I agreed with Bruno that there were many little Fosse touches that I just thought she was so smooth and slinky on. Yes, it's probably because she's a big ol' ringer but I don't care. Girl can dance and that performance was perfection in my opinion from beginning to end.

I enjoyed Nyle's dance but even before he danced I had a feeling he might struggle a bit only because Quickstep is quite hard - your lower body is moving at a crazy speed while your top half has to stiff and rigid. And with all the touches from the movie performance, it made him have to break hold with Peta many times which made getting back into proper hold difficult. But it was still a fun number and we all knew his scores were going to take a hit eventually. No comment on the arrogant/package thing because frankly I just don't care. Not just about this but all of it. I watch the dances and all the other stuff is just whatever to me at this point, especially because I don't vote anyway.

eta: I thought Jodie did okay but I wanted more. However, I feel like she may have been slightly tentative because of her foot injury which is absolutely understandable. But the performance just felt a bit uneven at times. Like there were moments of brilliance and when she just really threw her all into it and she and Keo were truly connecting and other times it just felt sort of clunky and awkward.

Choreographed by Adam Shankman? I think that's the first time I've heard them give credit to an outside choreographer for a couples dance

I'm not sure, because I didn't see the package but it is entirely possible they were referring to the choreography from the film, since the point of this week was to recreate famous dances. And Adam Shankman directed and choreographed the Haispray remake with Nikki Blonsky.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

That little speech from Antonio was exactly what the football fans who are voting for Antonio want to hear. Antonio is the one to watch this season. He is Steeler nation and they vote their tails off. I actually thought the dance did everything to highlight Antonios strengths and it worked pretty well. That was charisma shinning through. This was by far his best dance.

I thought Antonios team comment was in contrast somewhat to what Nyle said about being in competition with Val. I dont take any of it seriously, but for those who do, if they want a reason to dislike Nyle this was it.  I think Nyle can dance like nobodys business, but he does need to think more now about technique if he wants to win it. Wanya has got it all over Nyle in technique.  I was not in love with Wanyas dance but he killed it and deserved to be best male dancer of the night.

I think of the guys left, Von is the most self conscious dancer. I think if he let go a bit more he would surprise himself. 

For the ladies, Paige is still fab. She looked like a young Julie Christie tonight in her 60s garb and her dance technique on the jazz was very good.Her chainez turns were pretty solid dance technique.She still jumps the beat a tiny bit, nerves I assume. But there is a flow to her dancing that the other ladies have yet to show. To be able to do that with only a few days practice was pretty impressive.   I am not normally a Mark fan, but  his Austin Power movement and expression was fantastic, all the way from the awkward leg rub at the beginning right to when he got his scores. He made me chuckle all the way through the dance in a good way. 

Jodie is a trouper and worked very hard on that dance. I was with her when she hurt herself. What were those choreographers thinking!  Unfortunately for me, the dance is more about highlighting Pink and her incredible athleticism, so Jodie gave it a great Try, but because it was so much about athletics, it fell short of the original. It was tentative in places, the lifts were a bit labored. But I think the package beforehand really showed her tenacity and will probably save her next week. 

Someone said Ginger danced Nasty like a cheerleader.  I co-sign to that. She needs to get into it more, get Nasty. It was all a bit too careful. I wonder if Val telling her to tone down the booty move made her a bit self conscious of everything. It just felt that way.

Kim threw herself into the Jive, and it was a lot of jive, but I think the injury made her labor it a bit.  

Since they split the boys and girls next week, I am guessing there will be one boy and one girl going home. 

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 1

Did Kim just totally shade Keo this week? She said something about how he was good for a one-week-Switch-Up-partner, but maybe not for the whole season. And then she said how much she missed her Sasha.

It's probably more true than it isn't, but still...damn. Lol

Correct. Antonio has been habitually late, and yet they made Sharna out to be the bad guy. That's rich.

Uke, Tom was crediting Adam Shankman as the choreographer of Hairspray, the movie, not Kim's routine.

Thanks and also to TruthAboutLuv - now I see that Tom was mentioning the original choreographer, not who choreographed tonight's recreations.

• Love 1

I really don't take any of the faux B3 stuff that seriously and I don't think it's always a sign that somebody is on the brink of elimination, because if they were then everyone would be on the brink of elimination.  Sometimes it's just your turn to sweat it out.  

Tonight it was actually "in jeopardy"  We don't know who was actually in the bottom 3 with Doug.

Yes, sometimes they put people in jeopardy just for "fun" and sometimes to prompt fans to vote.  Ron Wade said as much in a preseason interview (TV Guide IIRC).  I tend to think maybe Paige's fans might have needed a little boot to the behind to remember to vote for her.

Fake jeopardy can mean nothing, Riker and Sadie weren't having trouble with votes, but they put them there constantly to mask what was really going on. At other times it is a warning shot. I don't know if Paige is in immediate danger, but if they want her around in the finals perhaps it's a good idea to remind people to vote for her. She's got very little fanbase of her own, Mark's fans will carry you a bit, but week 5,6 is about the time where only the pros' supporters aren't enough to keep you in (unless your pro is Derek, but even his fanbase gives out eventually...as we saw with Nastia and Bethany). She dances great and she gets good scores, but that also puts her at risk in the sense that people are assuming she's safe. And she's not very loud, she doesn't have drama, she doesn't have much narrative (that's why the heavy-handed "I'm a fighter who wants to be girly" nonsense, to give her something, anything to talk about). She's confident, she's working hard, she's having fun, there are no issues in her dance partnership. On this show, this can be a problem. And it's not always enough to dance awesomely to compensate for it.

• Love 2

I'm team Antonio for his comments this week even if I understand previous gripes about him.  Part of this show is working with people from different backgrounds  (and that's part of the whole point, and yes, as the "pros," the lion's share of the work for adapting falls on the professional partner), and where Antonio comes from--football, Liberty City--what you very much don't do is make statements behind your teammates' backs implying you have doubts about their abilities.  Remember when the loathsome Master P, whose level of disrespect for his partner's efforts vastly exceeded Antonio's, went off on his partner for snitching?  Not equating Master P or his problems with Antonio or his problems.  Just saying that at the end of the day while you may not personally agree with whatever the perceived foul might be and it may not be something that would offend you personally coming from whatever background you come from, it's sort of the pro's job to meet the celeb where they are, and I don't think it's unreasonable for Antonio to share with Sharna why, from his perspective, what she said was out-of-line and how it affected him.  It's not like he was criticizing her for having an opinion or even for what that opinion was--it was just the manner of her expressing it that bothered him,  He calmly explained to her why it wasn't okay with him, and I think that's fair.  

• Love 1

I give Antonio a 10 for his rousing speech (felt like he was a character in Empire when it was still good), Paige a 10 for her dance, and Jodi an 8.5 for her dance (All-Stars paddles).

I find it hard to believe Paige is really in jeopardy. If she actually went, I would be frustrated about that loss even after the season wraps. What a waste that would be.

• Love 1

This is another theme week that I could do without. First of all, way too many dancers on the floor for most of these. Secondly, it is silly to ask the choreographer to include a specific dance style as well as replicating part of the original dance. Pick one or the other. It seems like it would be better if they made the theme movie night instead of famous dances. At least that way, the pros could use the movie and the song as inspiration for costumes and the dance without being too beholden to the original choreography.

Once again, Carrie Ann makes no sense. Being consistent is not a bad thing. Gawd. I didn't love Kim and Sascha's Hairspray jive but Kim looks gorgeous and she definitely looked like she was having fun. I hope she is careful with that injury. I also give Sascha bonus points since he had to incorporate jive into that routine and he had a lot more jive in his than Sharna put into her Footloose routine.

I wasn't crazy about Von and Witney's Michael Jackson routine. A Michael Jackson routine is like a Fosse routine in that it's not just about the steps but really embodying the style. Von learned the basic choreography, but if I had seen just him perform that routine without the costume, music, sets, and backup dancers I probably wouldn't have been able to tell that it was supposed to be Michael Jackson because even some of the iconic moves didn't look the same because of the way he did them. I also didn't like Witney crying last week about the scores she got during switch up week.

I think that Jodie had one of the toughest dances of the week. It required a lot of precision, a lot of lifts, a lot of emotional commitment, and a lot of dance. And that's before you take into consideration poor Jodie getting smacked in the face and hurting her ankle (and losing rehearsal time to go to the hospital). Jodie had such a fantastic attitude the entire time. She was a total trouper. She said that she was the one who dropped Keo and asked if he still trusted her. Even though she wanted to continue, she was still mature enough to set limitations when she said that she still trusted Keo but that she didn't want to do that lift again which is totally understandable (especially given the time constraints). For me, this was one of the least famous dances on famous dance night.

I have never been a huge Mark fan, but I totally felt for him about this routine. Under normal conditions, it sucks to find out that you have to change your song but on a show like DWTs where you only have one week to teach a non-professional an entire routine, that REALLY sucks. Having to start over from scratch with a new song and come up with new choreography is rough. I actually didn't like most of the Austin Powers choreography, but I'm glad that this gave them the opportunity to use Paige's jazz, gymnastics, and cheer experience.

Man, Cameron Diaz was so fresh faced and beautiful when The Mask came out. Hard to believe that it came out over 20 years ago! I don't blame Peta for being nervous about the mask and prosthetics not being ready ahead of time. I would never want to be in a position where I didn't get to rehearse with key stuff like that for at least a few days beforehand. Even with regular costume pieces, I always wanted at least a few practice sessions beforehand to make sure that everything worked okay with the choreography. I thought that this routine actually showed some of Nyle's weakness, particularly the section where they weren't in hold. I am not a ballroom expert but most of what Len said sounded right.

Ginger and Val's Nasty routine was just okay for me. She learned the steps but her performance was pretty bland. She didn't have enough attitude and she wasn't sharp enough. It's like she wasn't committed enough to the moves. She also smiled too much for that particular song. The other thing that bothered me is that in this kind of situation, you have to decide whether or not to lip sync. It looked like there were certain points where she was definitely doing it and then other parts where it looked like she kind of was. It was like the suburban dance recital version of Janet Jackson.

Doug and Karina's Bollywood was better than I thought it would be (mostly because Doug is the least coordinated celeb left this season). I think it actually worked in his favor because there were a lot of parts where he only had to do arm movements. It was obvious that when he had to move his feet and his arms simultaneously that he was sloppier.

Not at all surprised that Wanya killed his routine. That was the most relaxed and comfortable I've seen him on DWTS. Just awesome. I really have very little to say about it because it was that good.

Antonio can say that he's not a quitter, but he's the one who is showing up to rehearsals late which doesn't exactly make it seem like he gives a shit. But at least he looked like he was having fun during his Footloose routine. I think it was stupid to make them incorporate jive into that routine. Sharna squeezed in a little bit but other than a few measures, it was just a reproduction of the big prom scene, most of which wasn't great dancing even back in the 80s.

Kim:  Choreographed by Adam Shankman?  I think that's the first time I've heard them give credit to an outside choreographer for a couples dance.

Adam Shankman was the original choreographer of the Hairspray routine. They also mentioned some of the choreographers for the other routines. They definitely mentioned whoever choreographed The Mask and Jai Ho, as well as Paula Abdul who choreographed Janet Jackson's Nasty routine and Wade Robson who choregraphed the nsync routine.

Wanya:  Yea. Ok. They copied the music video instead of  using it as inspiration or just using parts of it.  I'd rather watch the real NSYNC. Sorry. Didn't care for this. Joey was funny though.  Massively overscored but I guess some liked it.

The beginning of the choreography was actually from their VMA performance (not the video) and it looked like they didn't copy all of the VMA routine (which is nowhere near as famous/iconic as the choreography from the video). Joey and Lance even mentioned that Lindsay changed some of the moves and that they liked it. In contrast, the show duplicated choreography from the Janet Jackson video and the Pink video, as well as almost the entire Footloose routine.

VMA performance (Bye Bye Bye starts at the 1:23 mark):

Bye Bye Bye video:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

And once again Jodie's scores don't reflect what the judges said during their critiques. Len was the only person who made any comment that indicated that it was less than perfect when he commented that they struggled a bit to get into the lift. Jodie's dance was amazing and looked to be quite difficult and I wish the judges scores would actually reflect how she danced (especially comparing to scores they give others).

• Love 4

I guess I'm in the minority that I like Antonio. I think he's a lot more genuine than most of the others. I don't think he was rude to Sharna, but I can understand why his feelings were hurt. I probably wouldn't want to put in the work either if my partner thought I had no chance of winning. Whatever happened, they seemed to work it out. It's not like Mischa Barton who looked like she couldn't stand Artem.

As for Nyle, it seemed like producer manipulation to me, like they did with Tamar and Rumer in previous season. They haven't had much drama to work with, so they had to invent some. People who watched ANTM always said he was humble, so why would he turn arrogant now? I think he was joking and they ran away with it.

On 4/26/2016 at 10:25 PM, Curio said:

I agree.  If Nyle is getting huge vote totals, the producers might have felt the need to add some "drama" to his story so that he can have a redemption arc.  Plus it gives them the chance to put the focus on the other dancers.  They put him in an ugly mask in a number without any troupe dancers to add to the dramatic effect and then gave him the "Don't be arrogant" edit.  I've seen Nyle on other things, he has never been arrogant and I think you are quite correct in saying this is producer-driven drama.  

Edited by Brynnjk
fix typo
  • Love 1

I thought Nyle was trying to be funny -I didn't find him arrogant, but in fairness, I was only half watching.  Not his best dance.

Loved:  Wanya.   He is awesome every time out.  I really hope he can ride this thing to the end.  

The rest:   I liked Kim - she looked great and I thought it was a pretty good effort.   I give Jodie major props for trying that dance and I thought she did well and was underscored (although I hate that entire video - sorry Pink fans).    Paige and Mark were good but not 10 worthy (Len).   I like Val but I find Ginger and her husband so annoying and her dances are so basic and forgettable to me.   I really would like to see her get the boot, but my guesses for the double elem are Kim (sadly) and maybe Jodie (hopefully not, but I think Keo did some damage with his attitude last week)  I would rather see Von or Antonio (more Von) get the boot but I am guessing the footballers rallied and that won't happen.  Will be interesting to say the least.

Antonio must have really been slacking because even Bergeron took him to task for not trying hard enough, and he usually goes out of his way to help the stars.  Glad he finally got a fire lit under him.

Von's routine looked much crisper in the rehearsal package than during the actual show. I think he gets massive stage fright. 

I watched the "try" video- and man is it hRd to watch!  I think Jodie did a great job with it.  I thought Kim's routine was good and lots of fun.  I usually don't like mark, but I like his pairing with Paige.  Put me on the side that Nyle was kidding