Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: Paula Needs To Get Over Josh!

Oh please, just don't have Josh make a love confession to Rebecca at his sister's wedding. PLEASE. I can already imagine Valencia catching the bouquet, her realizing he doesn't want to marry her, them breaking up, then Greg realizing Rebecca's not over Josh... 

That said, I want to trust the writers. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I want to know why Rebecca and Greg are at Josh's sister's wedding. If Josh's sister was mad enough that Rebecca isn't a bridesmaid anymore, she shouldn't be invited as a regular wedding guest. I guess maybe Greg was invited because he's Josh's friend? I know some families do that. I mean, I didn't. As much as I like my sisters' friends, I was like dude, Mr. EB and I are paying for this entire wedding out of our own pockets so no, my sisters don't get to invite all of their friends to my wedding. I know, I know, it's necessary for the plot and I shouldn't be putting so much thought into this.

More importantly, yay for Lea Salonga!!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

The notion that Rebecca was going to be a bridesmaid for Jayma in the first place suggests that the invite policy is probably a little loose. Add to that the notion that Greg probably is bringing Rebecca as his plus-one, and Rebecca being Rebecca probably doesn't let Greg know that she had been disinivited as a bridesmaid, and well, hilarity will likely ensue.

The notion that Rebecca was going to be a bridesmaid for Jayma in the first place suggests that the invite policy is probably a little loose.

I don't think that's true. I mean it was implied that Rebecca had stayed in contact with the Chans after she spent Thanksgiving with them and that they really liked her. She even helped get a discount on Jayma's engagement ring and wrote a letter for rec for one of Josh's other sisters.

Oh please, just don't have Josh make a love confession to Rebecca at his sister's wedding. PLEASE. I can already imagine Valencia catching the bouquet, her realizing he doesn't want to marry her, them breaking up, then Greg realizing Rebecca's not over Josh... 

That said, I want to trust the writers. 

Would that be cliché writing?

I guess so? I don't really care if something's cliché or not though, I care about how well it's implemented and whether I like the narrative direction. And in this case, I don't want any Rebecca/Josh stuff anymore because it's the worst part of the show for me.

• Love 3

I kind of hate Paula, she deeply needs to get over not only Josh but hating Greg. She is a terrible friend.

Oh please, just don't have Josh make a love confession to Rebecca at his sister's wedding.

I don't want to see a love confession, but I do want to see him dump Valencia unequivocally. 

I'm most excited about seeing White Josh and Darryl at the wedding, they have matching tuxedo accents. 

I hope the title of this episode means Paula will get a big musical number.  I have been waiting for another one for far too long.  Preferably with a portion that is a duet.

Looks like she does. Just saw this capsule review of tonight's episode at USA Today (a few little possible vague spoilers):

Broadcast's brightest new light ends its season with a romantic spectacular featuring an Arabian nights-themed wedding, a possible proposal, and a song performed by Lea Salonga and written by Adam Schlesinger (who also teams with star Rachel Bloom on a number for the fabulous Donna Lynne Champlin) that so perfectly mimics one of Salonga's Disney tunes, you may think it actually is one. What the finale best exhibits, however, is the growth in this show and in Bloom’s Rebecca, a slightly unbalanced young woman who has spent the season searching for love, friendship and, well, balance. Whether she finds them is part of the cliffhanger; but what's certain is viewers have found some knockout new talents and a terrific new show.  See you next season.

I'm excited for growth! Hiatus is going to feel very long for this show.

Paula's number was spectacular, and DLC was amazing. 

At last, Rebecca admits to herself and to Josh that she moved to West Covina for Josh. It wasn't a little more nuanced than that.

I'm glad Valencia and Josh broke up, but I don't want Josh and Rebecca to be together. She might work with Greg later, but not now.

Lea Salonga's number really was a dead-on version of a Disney song. The last line or so when it just went on and on was hilarious.

I'm really curious to see where this goes next season, and I will enjoy rewatching this season knowing where it's gone.

• Love 5

I've been a silent reader but I actually created an account just to leave a comment on this episode. This was easily my least favorite episode. They just made Greg very terrible this episode (especially at the wedding), it was painful to watch. I'm looking forward to season 2 though.

• Love 8

There are some things I agree about in this review and some things I don't.  In some ways, it's the perfect way to end the season, maybe especially if it were a finale.  It's is ominous enough to know that things aren't as perfect as they seemed. And I think that fits.

I think this show did do a good job of letting everyone be both right and wrong.  Greg was a total jerk for getting wasted and 'playing it cool.'  At the same time, he wasn't wrong about Josh and Rebecca.  As much as Rebecca was focused on moving forward, it was still an effort and process for her.  Rachel Bloom did such a good job showing that in not only how she reacted to the notion that Josh and Valencia were going to get married but those long intense stares at the wedding.  Had he been honest, would it be different?  I can honestly say that I don't know.  I really don't.  One would think it would have been different but Rebecca was looking for something fairy tale and I do think any overture from Josh would have been considered that.  It's not like she hasn't slept with guys while on a date with Greg.

And for that reason, I think it's better for Greg that she is with Josh right now.  There would have always been the "what if..." hanging over her head.  And I know the reviewer thinks that Josh and Rebecca won't be together next season but I kind of think they will be.  Josh will find some way to get past that confession just as he sort of put the fact that Rebecca staged a break-in or broke into his apartment earlier.  I just think the "crazy" stuff will just keep piling on and on and on. 

That was an incredible performance by Paula but I don't know that I'd be forgiving her.  A restraining order might be more appropriate.  Holy hell is she off the rails. 

I was cheering for Valencia tonight.  This is another reason why I think Rebecca/Josh will last for a while.  He has managed to both justify being with Valencia for fifteen years and justify not committing to her.  Valencia is responsible for sticking around but at least she has been unequivocal in what she wants from him.

• Love 7
I think this show did do a good job of letting everyone be both right and wrong.

I agree, and I think the show has been good about that throughout the season.

This is another reason why I think Rebecca/Josh will last for a while.

I don't know. He didn't seem thrilled to learn she came back to West Covina for him. And I don't think we're supposed to think he was pining for Rebecca after running into her in New York. It took Rebecca actually moving to get his attention, and maybe that's what he's liked about it all along, all the attention she gives him. Valencia's desire to get married seemed more like a way to keep up with her friends than because she really wanted to marry Josh. Those two were in a holding pattern for a long time, so it's good someone finally took a hard look at it and made a decision.

• Love 3

Season 1 is the past now. Let's see what season 2 has in store. The show has always been true to its core. A fairy tale like disney story.I'm okay with the season finale.

You know the show is pro Disney when you get a Lea Salonga golf club promo. 

I'm just so happy, looking back on this season. They were true to their vision, didn't shrink from making pretty much every character unlikable at some point or other (except maybe Darryl?), had a plan that went beyond what I anticipated at the start, and they gave us 1 to 3 great new musical numbers each week. And just when I thought we had settled into a rather cheesy (if dubious) "fairy tale ending"... suddenly it wasn't.

I also love the distinctive style they give it. Every episode has that out-of-continuity wacky tag, except the two finale episodes (California Christmastime and this one), which instead have a flashback prologue. And from time to time we get a special take on the main titles, like Paula & Scott's conversational version, or saving it for the last second in tonight's show.

And again, great songs. "Paula's Turn" was a great showcase for Donna Lynne Champlin (who tweeted that after filming she immediately bought a duplicate of that red dress for herself), and Lea Salonga got a dead-on Disney princess song.

I got a chuckle out of the reveal that when Rebecca is "really" singing (not in the dreamy musical numbers)... she's not very good.

At least we had one happy loving couple tonight: Darryl and his Josh!

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 9
I don't know. He didn't seem thrilled to learn she came back to West Covina for him. And I don't think we're supposed to think he was pining for Rebecca after running into her in New York. It took Rebecca actually moving to get his attention, and maybe that's what he's liked about it all along, all the attention she gives him.

Oh I agree.  I don't think he was pining for her all the time. I also don't think he's thrilled to learn the truth.  But he also has a really really hard time advocating for himself and breaking up with someone.  I think he knew for a while that he didn't want to marry Valencia but he kept letting himself be pushed closer and closer to that.  And I suspect Rebecca will be even pushier.

Season 1 is the past now. Let's see what season 2 has in store. The show has always been true to its core. A fairy tale like disney story.

Is it?  I think that's the fantasy.

• Love 3

So, Rebecca really didn't care about Greg? The "I'm over Josh" and "you're not second to anyone" was just...wishful thinking on her part? I don't know. Greg was a dick at the wedding, but she never really processed that -- just that he wasn't living up to her fairy tale. But she was full on, all-in on Josh the next morning, which was less reacting to the mood/being disappointed by Greg and more, well, crazy ex-girlfriend time.

The chemistry between Josh and Rebecca was nonexistent tonight: That magic carpet kiss was painful. The flashback to the courtroom kiss didn't do that scene any favors.

I realized tonight that Greg reminds me of ... Logan Echolls. (So of course I started drawing Josh/Duncan parallels, and remembering that Veronica Mars had to live out the fantasy of perfect past boyfriend before she could figure out Logan.)

• Love 5

I think I really need to process what I just saw a lot more, but my first reactions were:

1. Paula needs more music numbers 

2. White Josh and Darrel are together, and they look fancy, and that will keep me going until season 2. 

• Love 6

Valencia's victory dance was so cute. With that said, girl. If it's been 15 years and he still hasn't sealed the deal despite you clearly wanting that level of commitment from him...well, you don't have to be as smart as Rebecca to figure that one out. If a guy isn't interested in marrying you after five years together, he's not going to be any more interested after 15. And if a guy takes 15 years to decide at long last to marry you, how keen could he possibly be at the prospect?

He has managed to both justify being with Valencia for fifteen years and justify not committing to her.  Valencia is responsible for sticking around but at least she has been unequivocal in what she wants from him.

Exactly. It takes two. Josh has been stringing Valencia along for many years--he seemed to believe earlier in the season that he wanted to commit to Valencia, but his pattern of noncommitment over the years has belied those intentions however sincerely believed by Josh--but Valencia has allowed him to do it. Valencia may not have Rebecca's brilliance, but she's very intuitive (being one of the few people Rebecca couldn't hoodwink); if she'd applied that towards Josh's lack of commitment, she would have seen the writing on the wall years ago.

The show has always been true to its core. A fairy tale like disney story.

I'd say rather that Rachel Bloom has always been about blowing holes in Disney nonsense, and the show is a continuation of that sensibility. To me, anyway, it's not a coincidence that for its two "finales," 1x13 and 1x18, the big Josh/Rebecca romantic Disney clinch was punctured by Josh looking horrified.

I think it's better for Greg that she is with Josh right now.  There would have always been the "what if..." hanging over her head.

That, and Greg has a lot of issues of his own that he needs to deal with before he can be a decent boyfriend to anyone: drinking to deal with his problems, thinking he needs to act like a dick to maintain a girl's interest, etc. etc.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 7

Everything as I've expected. Sigh. Made sense, but there was a part of me that wanted this show to surprise me, and it didn't happen.

Loved Rachel Bloom's acting tonight, she was just terrific, even more than usual.

No good songs - now that was a disappointment.

I did love some digs at the romcom cliches and stuff. I hope the show really starts deconstructing them in season 2.

Also, I kinda hate Josh Chan. This wishy-washiness of his when it comes to Valencia is something I absolutely abhor in male characters. She's no angel, but it sure feels like he's been leading her on for years and never wanted to be with her for reals.

• Love 6

I realized tonight that Greg reminds me of ... Logan Echolls. (So of course I started drawing Josh/Duncan parallels, and remembering that Veronica Mars had to live out the fantasy of perfect past boyfriend before she could figure out Logan.)

Yes!! And boy did I find the Duncan/Veronica relationship boring even though I know it had to happen, like Josh and Rebecca. I had to rewatch last week's episode because I was so sad by the end of this one. Hope we find out what else is behind Greg's complex. Don't think it's as simple as his mom running out on them. Just realized we don't really know too much about him (except now we know he wanted to be a pro-Dodgeball player.) And minus all those times Rebecca broke his heart since he had issues with Heather too.

Love how free-for-all this wedding was lol "Hey Paula, come to this wedding right now!"

I want Hector and Heather to meet next season.

Overall, love this show and how complicated they make things. Can't wait for next season and hope we see more of Rachel during the hiatus. That whole "playing cool" segment was freaking hilarious.

Edit: Nooo we were deprived of a Greg and Rebecca scene (possibly a call back to "Settle for Me"): https://mobile.twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/722119668505272320

Edited by niklj

Love how free-for-all this wedding was lol "Hey Paula, come to this wedding right now!"

At least it seemed like she didn't show up until after the dinner. At that point you're not really worried about seating and stuff. She could just blend in and probably no one would ever notice she was there.

• Love 1

So, Rebecca really didn't care about Greg? The "I'm over Josh" and "you're not second to anyone" was just...wishful thinking on her part?

No I think her feelings for Greg are real, as are obviously his for her, which is part of the problem for both of them. She admitted to Greg that she had been become too invested in the night going like a Disney movie, but when she laid it all out there for him, he rejected her, and then it was all to easy to fall back into her biggest fantasy of all, getting together with Josh and that relationship fixing "all her problems" which I'm not sure what Josh was more disturbed by,  that she came there just for him or that she thinks he's gonna FIX her, especially since he was often too oblivious to the fact she was broken.

Greg's be a jerk plan was doomed to failure, but his trust issues with Rebecca are real and I can see why he was still reluctant to believe  her feelings for Josh were truly benign and in the past. I laughed really hard when he puked after saying he loved Rebecca. Hee.

That episode did nothing to make me think Paula was less of an asshole, but I did love their reunion anyway since it made it really clear like Dream Ghosts said that it's not about the guys. 

White Josh and Darryl are the best but I wish they would have kissed like a Disney movie instead of Josh/Rebecca.

I am glad Valencia and Josh broke up and that Valencia realized it wasn't Rebecca bunch that was the issue, though she still blamed Josh entirely which noooo honey, but I hope somehow some way she can stick around and be part of the show.

• Love 1

And again, great songs. "Paula's Turn" was a great showcase for Donna Lynne Champlin (who tweeted that after filming she immediately bought a duplicate of that red dress for herself), and Lea Salonga got a dead-on Disney princess song!

That dress looked amazing on DLC. She should buy it in every color! Also I want it.

• Love 3
(edited)

First of all, Paula was rocking that gorgeous red dress during her big song. One of the many things I love about this show is that they manage to put ALL of the women in beautiful flattering clothes, not just the ones who are skinnier and therefore allegedly easier to dress like Valencia.

Can Aunt Myrna come back every week and sing for us? Lea Salonga's voice is just so gorgeous and perfect (plus I love how obsessed she is with her 1984 appearance on Star Search - I used to love that show!). And that song was both the most hilarious and most non-Disney Disney song ever. Hee, and I loved Rebecca's terrible "real life" singing.

Loved Darryl and White Josh being fancy together!

Paula is straight up crazy. Putting a tracker on Josh's mom's car confirms it.

Oh, Greg. You just had to go and fuck things up, didn't you? I mean, even before we get to his ridiculously stupid "plan" to act like an uncaring bad boy, who goes to a formal wedding wearing a flannel shirt and sneakers? You can be a bad boy and still wear a tie. Mr. EB's theory with weddings is that it's always better to be overdressed than to be underdressed. Case in point: Rebecca, Darryl, and White Josh all looked great. It's better to have someone think you look fabulous and fancy than to have someone think you're a lazy slob who can't be bothered to wear appropriate attire to an event that someone's parents are paying tens of thousands of dollars for. And then to top it all off he had to be a dick about everything at the wedding. Of course he had to criticize the wedding and hate dancing and generally be the least fun person in the room.

Similarly, Valencia. What kind of selfish bitch deliberately buys a white (sorry, IVORY) dress to wear to someone else's wedding and then tells her boyfriend to "get up on the bandstand and steal some wedding thunder and get engaged" at his own sister's  wedding?

I am neutral on being married. If you want to get married, you should. If you don't want to get married, that's fine with me too. In my book, getting married doesn't make you any better than unmarried people and it certainly doesn't make you more committed (it just means it's more expensive when you have to get a divorce instead of breaking up for free). The key is finding someone who wants the same things that you want. If you are the kind of person who wants to get married and the person you're with is not (or vice versa), you can't spend the duration of your relationship trying to convince the other person to do what you want.

And even if you find someone who wants the same thing, they have to want it with you. If want you want doesn't align, then don't get pissy when you don't get what you want. One of my friends has always known he wanted to get married and have kids but he was adamant from when I met him (when we were both 18) that he didn't want to get married before he was 30. One of his college girlfriends was the kind of girl who wanted to get married right after graduation and he was like uh, no, that's about eight years too soon. Needless to say, they eventually broke up, which is fine and as it should be because you shouldn't have to talk someone into changing their mind to do something as big as getting married.

Josh and Valencia have a lot of issues in their relationship and one of them is communication. We've seen Josh keep things from Valencia because he didn't want her to get mad at him, so what are the chances that they've ever had a really honest conversation about marriage and their future? If it was ever discussed in greater depth than what we saw in this episode, I would bet it was Valencia saying things like, "Joshie, I can't wait until we get married and have three kids! Should we have two boys and a girl or two girls and a boy?" while Josh just sat there smiling weakly until he could come up with a good reason to change the subject or leave the room.

I agree that if Rebecca and Josh didn't at least try to date even a tiny bit, Greg would always wonder if Rebecca had settled for him and that eventually it would drive him crazy. He could barely handle his jealousy in this episode as it was so imagine if Greg and Rebecca got serious. His self doubt would rear its head sooner rather than later so in that sense, it's best that Rebecca tries to see if there's anything there with Josh besides their idealized fantasies of each other.

I like that Rebecca finally confessed that she moved to West Covina for Josh, partly because she just needed to admit it but partly because Josh has no idea the depths of her issues go (just like Rebecca had no idea the lengths that Paula had gone to in the name of helping Rebecca get Josh). Even though we know Rebecca idealizes Josh and sees him as the answer to all of her problems, Josh has an idealized version of Rebecca. He sees her as the supportive person who believes in him and encourages him. He has seen a little bit of her craziness but he really has no idea about all the other stuff. Her confession was a huge step for her but it was also a lot for him to take in. Not only did she move all the way across the country after talking to him for like two minutes in New York, but she said now their love story can begin and that she sees him as the answer to all of her problems. No pressure though, man.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 12

Edit: Nooo we were deprived of a Greg and Rebecca scene (possibly a call back to "Settle for Me"): https://mobile.twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/722119668505272320

I kept waiting for a ballroom dancing number, what with Rebecca's dress and them almost dancing. The fact that they didn't was so unfulfilling--which really worked for the episode.

That dress looked amazing on DLC. She should buy it in every color! Also I want it.

I am struggling with this. Part of me wanted her to be glammed up and costumed a little more. The dress was great for her, but pretty simple, and her hair and makeup were still pretty standard Paula frump. I think a glam witch/badass, like Ursula, Malificent or Cruella de Ville would have made sense.

Edited to add: I just saw the recap with the direct comparison to Bette Midler doing "Rose's Turn," and I admit I'm off target about which villain. But I still think they could have glammed Paula up a bit more and the homage would have been enhanced.

With that said, her performance was off the charts! She was so fierce and scary and yet you could also see the hurt. Made me feel for Paula rather than be impatient with her, which is how I have felt.

And I loved the resolution between her and Rebecca. Fabulous twist on the fairy-tale ending.

Josh can be a little cartoonish. The extended staring felt endless. I know this show is broad strokes but the rest of it is real enough that things like that don't work for me. With that said, I loved the shirtless scene. :)

Greg really broke my heart. I don't want to believe he is an alcoholic (I could be wrong but I thought drinking while studying was the first evidence we have seen of this), but his behavior was horrible and a sign of true dysfunction, if not disease. Boy, are the characters on this show fucked!

Well done all around, show! Rachel Bloom and Aline Brosh McKenna, congratulations on BRILLIANCE and on being two talented, driven women doing great work!

Edited by lovinbob
  • Love 2

I just saw the recap with the direct comparison to Bette Midler doing "Rose's Turn,"  ... But I still think they could have glammed Paula up a bit more and the homage would have been enhanced.

Mileage varies, as ever, but I feel differently. The essence of "Rose's Turn" (in any production) is that she bursts into it from her everyday life -- she's just come from badgering her daughter. So the most flattering possible "regular" look for Paula is appropriate to make the homage specific, and I think they achieved it: not frumpy to my eyes, sleek and impressive, but not like she's dressed up for a special occasion. This by the way is what Donna Lynne identified as the dress in question.

• Love 7
I agree that if Rebecca and Josh didn't at least try to date even a tiny bit, Greg would always wonder if Rebecca had settled for him and that eventually it would drive him crazy. He could barely handle his jealousy in this episode as it was so imagine if Greg and Rebecca got serious. His self doubt would rear its head sooner rather than later so in that sense, it's best that Rebecca tries to see if there's anything there with Josh besides their idealized fantasies of each other.

That's a good point.  I also wonder whether Rebecca needs to get Josh out of her system by getting involved with him to finally decide which guy she really wants.  I'm hoping she'll see that Josh is little more than a fantasy and that Greg is her real match.   The only problem is that when Greg finds out about her and Josh it will only make him angry at her and all the harder for him to ever trust her again.  Not to mention that it would make it harder for him to face his feelings about Rebecca and likely send him into total hate/destructive mode for a long while.  The drinking in this episode looked to me like a foreshadowing of what's to come.

I kept waiting for a ballroom dancing number, what with Rebecca's dress and them almost dancing. The fact that they didn't was so unfulfilling--which really worked for the episode.

I am struggling with this. Part of me wanted her to be glammed up and costumed a little more. The dress was great for her, but pretty simple, and her hair and makeup were still pretty standard Paula frump. I think a glam witch/badass, like Ursula, Malificent or Cruella de Ville would have made sense.

Edited to add: I just saw the recap with the direct comparison to Bette Midler doing "Rose's Turn," and I admit I'm off target about which villain. But I still think they could have glammed Paula up a bit more and the homage would have been enhanced.

I agree with you that she should have been more glammed up despite the imitation of the Bette Midler number.  I knew there had to be a specific reason for that red dress, I just didn't know what it was.  That said, I didn't really love that musical number although the actress who plays Paula has some set of pipes!

My favorite line of this episode was definitely Greg's, "It's like the turducken of sympathy balloons"!

I'm looking forward to next season - Will miss the show!

I love how Rebecca is a horrible singer in real life!

This episode really made me question whether she and Greg should end up together though. While her romantic notions are way overboard at the moment, that doesn't mean that she shouldn't have any romantic aspirations. And I'm not sure that Greg would ever offer that.

• Love 7

Drunk Greg is the best. Reminds me of my asshole friends, hahahha. Hey look, I'm sizzling bacon,zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I'm actually going to try that dance at a wedding reception without getting punched in the face.

I loved Paula's red dress. It was very flattering on her and looked easy to move in. Great colour on her, too.

This episode really made me question whether she and Greg should end up together though. While her romantic notions are way overboard at the moment, that doesn't mean that she shouldn't have any romantic aspirations. And I'm not sure that Greg would ever offer that.

Greg doesn't offer anything at the moment besides a whole host of issues. I think Greg as he is now shouldn't end up with anyone.

Beyond that, I think there's a difference between wanting a little romance and being obsessed with Disney-type romance and finding anything less unacceptable. The former is completely normal and acceptable. The latter, as Heather astutely pointed out, is toxic, patriarchal bullshit that can ruin one's prospects for genuine romantic happiness.

If Rebecca genuinely wants "a little romance" in her life, like someone being able to voice his honest feelings of appreciation and love without his own bullshit getting in the way, or someone who is able to be there for her openly and honestly, Greg is certainly not the guy for her right now and may never be the guy for her. 

I winced in recognition watching this episode, because I've known so many Gregs: reflexive users of sarcasm and self-deprecation, crushingly insecure, doggedly superior and above it all (especially anything remotely "girly"), terrified of being hurt, of showing vulnerability, or of showing any positive emotion, ever. They are relationship poison--poison!--until they deal with their shit. I can see why someone like Josh, who can be so warm, so open and so kind, would be catnip for Rebecca, who has so many insecurities of her own.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 5

The only problem is that when Greg finds out about her and Josh it will only make him angry at her and all the harder for him to ever trust her again.  Not to mention that it would make it harder for him to face his feelings about Rebecca and likely send him into total hate/destructive mode for a long while.  The drinking in this episode looked to me like a foreshadowing of what's to come.

I am not looking forward to that!

Greg probably can't offer the fairy tale romance Rebecca fantasizes about.  Could he try?  I bet he could if he took care of his other issues but I don't know that I would say that Greg doesn't offer any romance.  Because that balloon with that ridiculous message on it?  I found so romantic. Flowers are okay but something unexpected like that would thrille me. Or the way he gently teased her when she confessed that her eight dates were made up. "All eight?" in feigned surprised.  Yeah, that ish made me swoon. Maybe it's because the typical idea of "romance" doesn't do much for me. I like to be surprised.  As for Rebecca, well she may be more into the flowers and chocolate thing but I think she puts too much stock into what romance should look like than who she's sharing those moments with.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 7

I was underwhelmed by this episode. I wanted a huge production number for it to end its season. Oh well. Unfortunately, Greg's issues are all too real-people seem to be more afraid of not being cool than losing an opportunity to love someone. I am glad that Rebecca told Greg that she cared, but she ran after Josh a bit too quickly after that. I am looking for to next season.

• Love 1

The whole wedding backdrop for the episode was so dead on. I cannot tell you how many young women I know who  have either gone to a wedding hoping to meet some kind of Prince Charming (really? at a wedding?) or thought the BF or SO would get caught up in a romantic moment and sweep them off their feet. Such crazy. Everything from the faux french ballroom to that ugly bejewelled prom dress Rebecca was wearing was great. 

Darryl and Josh getting fancy were hilarious. Valencia wearing white, securing a ring and wanting a proposal in the middle of wedding was killing me. 

I do wish there were more snarky songs like they usually have, a wedding is so  perfect to make fun of. Can't wait for next season. 

I love how Rebecca is a horrible singer in real life!

And Greg is a terrible dancer!

Ugh, and it starts so early. It can be a really hard thing to break.

I think Dawson's Creek did more damage than Disney to my young self in terms of unrealistic expectations (curse you, Pacey Witter!), but yeah. 

Edited by Eyes High

So Josh decides to make a move on the girl who his supposed best friend is with (and he already knows is really crazy about?) What class. No matter what you think of the relationship, he's your best friend. What kind of friend does that? I can't see how Greg and Rebecca could recover their relationship after this. Greg wouldn't be able to trust her or his own worth after being ditched for another guy twice. And the second time right after she told him that she really liked and cared for him. That'll mess with anyone's head. After this, if Greg ever takes Rebecca back I'd probably lose some respect for him. 

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 13

So Josh decides to make a move on the girl who his supposed best friend is with (and he already knows is really crazy about?) What class. No matter what you think of the relationship, he's your best friend. What kind of friend does that?

Yea. I was thinking that the whole time as well. I hated it when Josh was bad mouthing Greg to Rebecca. That's a totally shitty move no matter what Josh actually thinks about Greg. Absolutely agree about how could Greg ever believe what she says to him in the future, how does he forgive his "best" friend for doing this behind his back? I know it's supposed to be romantic but I was disgusted, a sign of me getting older cause that will not end well.

Greg was a jerk at the wedding and she should have done a better job of asking him WTF his problem was rather than trying to be a pretty, pretty princess.

Josh's face when Rebecca when she said I moved here for you....I laughed, not cause I thought it was funny but I was thinking serves you right, you have no idea who she is, just the idea of her. But more importantly, he likes that she makes him feel special.

I just started watching cause the name of the show put me off initially, but I have been telling everyone how good it is! Season 2 better not let me down!

Everyone needs to get over Josh.

• Love 9
Everyone needs to get over Josh.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when Rebecca gets over Josh. I hope that she and Josh are together long enough for her to realize that he isn't perfect, that he can't fix her problems.

Josh talking shit about Greg to Rebecca would have been much less of a betrayal if it hadn't been rooted in Josh's own jealousy and feelings for Rebecca. In contrast, consider what White Josh said to Rebecca about Greg before taking him home. He was acknowledging two of Greg's huge flaws (drinking until he passes out then pukes which, let's be honest, is not acceptable behavior once you're out of college and screwing things up because that's what Greg does) and warning Rebecca that this is who Greg is, but without any agenda or ulterior motives (unlike Josh).

• Love 8