Type keyword(s) to search

UK/US Translations

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

After a foot it becomes a yard (3 feet) and what is funny is that we tend to go metric after that.

Well, we don't go metric in the sense of using centi -deci- etc. units. I see what you're saying in terms of us counting, metric-style by tens/hundreds/etc., but we're still using Imperial units.

I'll buy a pint for any Brit who claims their country uses only metric measurements ;-)

• Love 1

Well, we don't go metric in the sense of using centi -deci- etc. units. I see what you're saying in terms of us counting, metric-style by tens/hundreds/etc., but we're still using Imperial units.

I'll buy a pint for any Brit who claims their country uses only metric measurements ;-)

That would be a lie though....much as TPTB may try to impose the metric system on us, our road signs still show distance in miles etc. Plus some of us old schoolers, prefer imperial and refuse to go metric..when I go to the shop I buy a PINT of milk not 0.568 of a litre, grr! *shakes fist*

• Love 2

Not sure if this counts as a translation thing but I guess more a tradition thing. I just watched a video on why men don't wear engagement rings and wondered if there is a tradition/cultural difference between the US/UK/any other country in whether they're common or not.

In Australia they're a fairly common occurrence, generally the bigger the better. Although I'd be a bit scared to wear such an expensive piece of jewellery around and also find them a bit chunky.

From my experience, in the US almost all engaged women wear engagement rings of some sort. There is a small, but growing, trend of nontraditional rings (e.g. stones other than diamonds, no stones at all, unconventional materials, etc.). However, some women don't get a separate wedding ring; they just use the engagement ring during the ceremony and then, once married, their engagement ring is now called their wedding ring. For those that do have separate wedding rings, it is usually a simple band that complements the engagement ring. The two rings are usually fused together.

In terms of men, much like @SilverStormm indicated for the UK, the vast majority do not have engagement rings. Additionally, I'd say it's somewhat common (but definitely less than 50%) for men in the US to not wear a wedding ring either. My dad and uncle both never have, although that is due in part to their lines of work. My uncle is an electrician and it could be unsafe for him to wear one while working. To avoid a situation in which he forgot to take it off before starting work, he just never wears one. I'm not sure what other reasons men have for not wearing wedding bands or how common it really is, but I have known married men outside of my family who also don't wear rings.

• Love 2

The video I was watching suggested that men wearing wedding rings wasn't overly common until post WWII where they symbolised men being a more companionable, family figure than previously:

I have no idea how to embed youtube in this forum otherwise I would :P - ooh it does it by itself, magic.

I don't know how I feel about that, I think if a woman is going to wear a wedding ring to symbolise she is married then the man should also.

Normally (in the UK) I'd say men don't wear engagement rings because they never get them in the first place - it's the ring given when you propose and normally the man's doing that. Though I don't think it's quite such a protocol violation to have a woman propose over here (traditionally it was only "allowed" on 29th February, though that's dying out, I'd say) if US TV is any guide.

Of course, given my proposals are limited to one and that didn't get to the altar, I'm hardly an expert!

I had thought that men wearing wedding rings wasn't big until the 1960s or '70s, but then I was watching old episodes of What's My Line? on GSN that were from the 1950s, and one contestant was a jeweler who made wedding bands, and he commented how men were wearing them much more commonly than they had in the past.

I didn't know about the feb 29th thing.. maybe I should do that to my partner next year :P I doubt we'll ever get married (not that I care too much, the idea of wedding planning scares the hell out of me) unless I do the asking.

So, if the engagement ring goes too the proposed, does that mean if I were to propose to my partner I'd offer him an engagement ring but not have one myself? (I'm not interested in having one at all but wondered if that is how that would work).

Kalliste I didn't know about the feb 29th thing.. maybe I should do that to my partner next year :P

That would be hard, since 2015 isn't a leap year! But as I understand it, traditionally, yes. As for only getting one ring - well, I never received an engagement ring I only gave one (and later got it back :-( ) which I think is how it's "supposed" to work.

Of course, it's all just archaic tradition based on chattel ownership/wealth display/effective marketing by the de Beers company so feel free to ignore it!

• Love 1

I brought this over from the "Kill the Moon" thread.

Well, the show was originally conceived as an educational teatime programme for children, yes. The reboot was designed as family entertainment, rather than as a children's show, but still geared more toward children than adults. It's effectively teatime drama still, even though Strictly Come Dancing has pushed it back into a slightly later timeslot at the moment.

I had asked why this show was so often referred to as a "kid's show".  After reading this, I am wondering if the show is viewed/classified differently in different countries.  I don't see it being promoted as a kid show in America.  It is paired up with the series "Intruders" which definitely could not be thought of as something for the kids or the family.  Even back in the days when I was lucky to catch it on PBS, usually late at night, I didn't think of it that way.  

What have others noticed?

Classic Who was an afternoon / early evening show back when it was on PBS. Where I was, it was something like 2-4 PM on Sundays. Going back to my kid brain, I think some of scariest parts of the show were highlighted by the ominous music. There were also the piercing sounds of the laser weapons and the creatures hiding in the shadows because the rubber masks looked kind of silly in broad daylight. There were also a lot of lumbering creatures which predated the zombie trend. 

NuWho has gotten worse as it goes along because they have this need to raise the stakes every season. The universe has been in danger / destroyed at least twice. The Daleks come back every season. Every Earth astronaut is stupid and has to be saved. I think the episodes are needlessly complicated with pseudo-science, even without the technobabble. Captain Jack, while an entertaining character, ushered in far too much sexual content for a "kids" show. The creature of the week never seems malevolent anymore. Hell, they've made Daleks semi-redeemable in this incarnation.

I think part of the reason is that every show on tv seemingly has to be A Thing. A show can't just be a show anymore. Going back in time to discover the legend of Robin Hood was actually a real person and having an adventure should be more than enough for a show, but it's not. It's part of the reason Who is falling flat this season. 

It's not just Who, but part of a larger problem.

• Love 2

I had asked why this show was so often referred to as a "kid's show".  After reading this, I am wondering if the show is viewed/classified differently in different countries.  I don't see it being promoted as a kid show in America.

The operative phrase in the U.S. is "kid-friendly show", although you rarely see that phrase used because nobody wants potential adult viewers to confuse it with a "kids show".

• Love 1

I brought this over from the "Kill the Moon" thread.

I had asked why this show was so often referred to as a "kid's show".  After reading this, I am wondering if the show is viewed/classified differently in different countries.  I don't see it being promoted as a kid show in America.  It is paired up with the series "Intruders" which definitely could not be thought of as something for the kids or the family.  Even back in the days when I was lucky to catch it on PBS, usually late at night, I didn't think of it that way.  

What have others noticed?

My thoughts exactly.  BBC America broadcasts Doctor Who at 9pm Saturday nights in the Eastern Time Zone.  That's a very loud, very clear acknowledgment that the show isn't particularly kid-friendly, especially given that BBC will run promos during the show for other very adult-oriented programs like Orphan Black or Intruders.  Whatever it's meant to be in the UK, it's marketed in the US as a show for grownups or, at the very least, kids who are allowed to watch a lot of violence. 

That's not to say the show can't appeal to kids.  Heck, I grew up watching Star Trek and it's a great example of a program that can appeal to every generation.  Any good show should have something in it for everyone.  But NuWho in particular has stuff that I wouldn't want kids watching -- people screaming in agony as they're being devoured by spiderlike bacteria on the Moon, for example -- and I've never seen anything in the way the BBC markets the show to suggest it's aiming for adolescent viewers. 

Well, UK wise (and it IS a UK show after all) it's recently been moved back to an 8.30 time slot (9.00 being the start of adult programming); and provoking a fair bit of controversy by being late to effect bed-time. New Who's timeslot has been 7.00 or 7.20 until this season.

It gets discussed on Newsround (news for kids) and has a huge audience picking up from aged 5-6 or so (old who audience stared younger still - I was certainly watching aged 4) probably peaking in the 10-14 range (my estimate).

• Love 1

Heck, I grew up watching Star Trek and it's a great example of a program that can appeal to every generation.

Me too!  The Original Series!

As far as kids shows go, Doctor Who is far superior to a lot of what passes as a "kid show" on a couple of "kid networks" here.  (I won't bother to get out my soapbox)

I would let my daughter (10) watch Doctor Who if she wanted to watch still.  She doesn't like the new Doctor.  I think she got spoiled because her first Doctor was Eleven with Amy and Rory.  She started to watch the show with me (aka Mom's show) back when they where showing the whole season in a day or two.

Hello to our European friends! It's true a lot of "lower income" don't have bank accounts. Banks charge for everything so a lot of people prefer to keep all there money and not pay the bank for the privilege of..well..using the bank. But you can cash a check at a a lot of places for 2 to 5 dollars which is still cheaper then a banking account. The down side is it's a pain to pay your bills. I wouldn't do it but I know people who won't get bank accounts because of the fees. On to food-I've never had lamb and I'm 56..Sounds yummy but I know it's uber expensive so guess I'll stick to hamburger. Easter for me is always ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, & rolls. 

A lot of banks do not charge a thing for a basic checking or savings account, actually.  You just won't earn interest on those accounts.  If you want to earn interest, you need to keep a minimum balance and if you go below it, then you get charged a fee.  

Here in Massachusetts, to have overdraft on a free account, you just need to link it to something. Depending on the bank, that can be a savings account, credit card, or personal line of credit (i.e. a loan account they set up for that purpose).

Is the phrase "and the penny dropped" very popular in the UK?  I had not heard the phrase before "Kill Hitler".

Yes, that's a fairly common saying. It means that you've suddenly realised something. No idea where it comes from!

• Love 1

Yes, that's a fairly common saying. It means that you've suddenly realised something. No idea where it comes from!

It is similar to the phrase "Lightbulb moment!" or some variation of that.

• Love 1

It comes from the old penny arcades where sometimes the penny would get stuck till the machine received a hard thump or kick, then the 'penny would drop' into the mechanism and the machine would work as intended. So it is a play on 'your brain finally kicks into gear' - 'the penny dropeth'.

It comes from the old penny arcades where sometimes the penny would get stuck till the machine received a hard thump or kick, then the 'penny would drop' into the mechanism and the machine would work as intended. So it is a play on 'your brain finally kicks into gear' - 'the penny dropeth'.

Ah, I sees. :)

In "Kill Hitler", Rory mentions that he has "earlys" in the conversation just before Amy realizes that Rory loves her.  Did he mean an early class or an early shift?

An early shift. I think he said he's on earlys which is the way most shift workers I know would say it.

• Love 1

Why did America have to export Black Friday to half the world instead of Thanksgiving? Seriously, a day off work where all you have to do is eat - no presents, no religious stuff, just piles of food and maybe a parade - that all sounds pretty good to me right now.

But no. Cruel and unusual shopping with extreme prejudice. That's what we get.

• Love 6

I'm watching old episodes of Top Gear and they did a thing about road signs, two of which warned about red squirrels.  I've gathered that they're endangered, but I don't get the point of the signs.  What exactly are you supposed to do if one runs out in front of your car, besides the obvious thing of trying to avoid hitting it?  Do you get fined if you hit one?  (I'm also obviously assuming the signs are actually real and not made up.  If they are, disregard.)

I've never seen a road sign warning for red squirrels, but there aren't any in my area. Usually when you see a warning sign like that at the side of the road (they tend to be for deer or sheep, in the main), it is simply asking you to be aware that there are wild animals in the area that might run across the road without warning, and to drive with extra caution.

• Love 1