Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Talk: Spring Baking Championship

A good beginning.  I felt sorry for the woman who cut herself but boy did she redeem herself.  Her cake looked nice.   I was shocked at who the eliminated because she made a good shortcake.  I kind of figured her for the winner.

And then we have the annoying one, Dan, although he's not as annoying as others in the past.  I was glad he didn't win the elimination round.  I felt so sorry for the girl whose cake collapsed.  She was lucky.

I'm glad to see that this show is back - it's perfect light TV watching.  The contestants all seem like they're not just really good bakers, but also pleasant.  I didn't find Dan annoying - I thought he seemed like a very  nice guy.

As a non-baker, I very much like how they explain not just what they're making, but how.  Just about all of those "naked cakes looked great.  I admit I laughed at the bathrobe. I wonder if Audrey's cake really tasted so good, or if they were using that as a reason not to eliminate her. 

I don't know much about the scoring - are taste and presentation given equal weight?

One of my favorite things about this show is how Nancy and Lorraine don't seem to like each other. 

• Love 2

I'm happy the show is back too, and I like it that the judges are allowed to have their own opinions and aren't forced to agree on everything. I almost thought I missed the first episode because this didn't feel like a premier for some reason. The margarita cake looked good and well I like everything berry so it all looked good. I agree that I like when they give some information like adding citrus to the bowl makes eggs whip better-never knew that. 

Duff used to be my favorite judge but since i have seen him on other things like Cupcake Wars, he comes across as really picky. I'm sure he has reason to be, but he is dealing with mostly home chefs. Lorraine and Nancy are picky in their own way but it's more like their personal preferences rather than the bakers are doing something wrong. 

Glad the show's back.

But how does a guy who says he neither watches TV nor uses the internet end up in a show like this? I mean, where would he have heard they were looking for participants (unless friends or relatives "on the media grid", as it were, told him)? I don't think Food Network took out newspaper ads (& who knows if he even reads the papers; if he doesn't watch/have a TV or use the internet, maybe he doesn't read the papers either) looking for participants.

And Nancy & Lorraine still seem to dislike each other, I see. Some things never change.

As long as Nancy doesn't say something like "Yummy, yummy, yummy to my tummy, tummy, tummy!" about a contestant's food again this season ( to be fair, she may have actually said that on the Holiday Baking Championship, which Bobby & all 3 judges also do, instead of this show), I will be happy. I thought that was silly & cringeworthy.

If you think Duff is picky here (which I haven't really ever thought), you should see him on the Kids' Baking Championship, which he's done (hosted & judged) for 2 seasons now with Valerie Bertinelli--at least if it comes back for another season. He's different, I think, on that show. Very helpful & supportive to the kid bakers. Duff also has another new show, which they advertised a lot during this show tonight. It's Cake Masters & it seems to be based around his Charm City Cakes West bakery, &/or his Duff's Cake Mix place, in LA, which are offshoots of his original Baltimore bakery, Charm City Cakes, where his original Ace of Cakes show was set. I think the new show starts tonight (Monday).

• Love 1

Did anybody else catch the close-up of the cut on Jane's hand when she was cutting the peaches? I hope they had her redo them. Also kudos to the producers for the close-up of the almond extract bottle reading "super strong". I find I don't really hate anybody yet. My least favorite contestant went home although I suspect Jane may start to bug me. However, I did apparently learn that too much alcohol makes your zygotes split.

• Love 2

I enjoyed this episode. Even if Audrey's cake didn't really taste that good, I'd much rather a good (better)-tasting cake be saved than a good-looking, horrible-tasting one. I love bread, just not with frosting.

A pleasant Sunday @ 9 habit to replace The Walking Dead... wait, what?

I especially enjoyed how they spliced many bakers' explanations into one piece.  I got irritated with previous episodes in which one know-it-all would gas on and on, "I did this and then I did this and then I did this and..." but when each baker gets one line, it's much more entertaining.

• Love 3

I love all the seasonal shows - Spring Baking, Halloween Wars, Holiday Baking - so I'm delighted that FN is continuing with them.  I like Duff and Lorraine as judges and tolerate Nancy Fuller.  I don't hate her but her cutesy act is just so not cute at her age.  I even like Bobby Deen.

I was surprised that the woman whose cake fell apart wasn't eliminated.  The young girl's cake must have been awful.  In the first round, I thought her shortcake layers looked compressed like they hadn't risen properly but I guess they tasted OK. 

The only contestant I don't care for so far is the woman who was crying and carrying on.  I like the young fellow with the cheekbones (Dan?).  He seems genuinely nice.  There doesn't appear to be anyone who will reach the annoyance level of Erin.

I thought I heard Bobby call someone Damiano - who was on a previous season.

• Love 1

I haven't seen this show before, but I liked it.  A little Top Chef action to ease my withdrawals.  Not too gimmicky, based on the first episode--although key lime is a high-powered acid to throw at them after their plans to meld and balance their flavors are so far along.

Ironic that the woman getting stitches--ow--missed the almond extract memo and then made a beeline for almond extract, but everything turned out okay.

I like the man with Grampa's Secret Shortbread Recipe and the love potion spices and the leather-look marzipan. . .er, that's all the same person, right?

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

Heh, I didn't even know these shows went on outside the holidays, but I'm happy that they do!

I like the man with Grampa's Secret Shortbread Recipe and the love potion spices and the leather-look marzipan. . .er, that's all the same person, right?

Yes it is, and he's my early favorite as well, if only because none of the others stand out very much thus far. Also, was it me, or did things seem a bit rushed in this episode? Maybe I just haven't seen enough of these to know the rhythm yet...

• Love 1

^^^Heeee.

Yes it is, and he's my early favorite as well, if only because none of the others stand out very much thus far. Also, was it me, or did things seem a bit rushed in this episode? Maybe I just haven't seen enough of these to know the rhythm yet...

There's that guy, Chocolatier, Deadhead and Homecook.  That's all I got.  : )

ETA:  Oh, and boozy zygote-split.  (Hilarious, btw.)

Edited by candall

But how does a guy who says he neither watches TV nor uses the internet end up in a show like this? I mean, where would he have heard they were looking for participants (unless friends or relatives "on the media grid", as it were, told him)? I don't think Food Network took out newspaper ads (& who knows if he even reads the papers; if he doesn't watch/have a TV or use the internet, maybe he doesn't read the papers either) looking for participants.

I was wondering this myself.

Why did he keep saying he had to pee? TMI, much.

• Love 1

Also, was it me, or did things seem a bit rushed in this episode?

I think it was just because they were trying to introduce us to all the contestants.  The show doesn't usually feel rushed to me.

I was wondering this myself.

Why did he keep saying he had to pee? TMI, much.

I had totally forgotten that was the same "no TV, no internet" guy. And it really was too much information! Sorry I didn't use his name, in either post; it takes me longer than the first ep to remember who's who.

Seems like a pleasant group of bakers.  And they seem to get along well.  Maybe FN is learning something from all the love The Breat British Bake Off (or Baking Show) gets. 

I found the deadhead guy (it will take me weeks to know the names) annoying because he talks so slowly (everyone in my family talks at a normal to fast speed).  I kept wondering if he was high or wanted us to think he was high to fit his deadhead persona.  

I like the contestants but I was surprised by who they dumped.  I really thought the woman who had the cake that looked like a 2 year old put it together would be the one to go.  Her cake must have really tasted good to keep that smashed mess around.  

• Love 1

Perhaps if the better looking cake at least tasted okay there might have been a different result. But it sounded to me like the judges really didn't like the taste at all.

I don't like the guy who kept whispering he had to pee. I just want to see the cakes, not hear about his bladder. He sounds like he's trying too hard to be entertaining. Other than him, there isn't anyone I'm rooting against yet.

• Love 1

Sign ups are online....as a rule I never believe anyone who says they don't watch TV...I am sure a friend or colleague told him to sign up.  Given where he works his boss might have a publicist with connections.

My best friend is very proud of not having a television.  She's online and she streams entertainment.

Yesterday I found out she'd never heard about any problems with the water in Flint, Michigan.

Sorry, had to sputter.  Back to baking!

• Love 1

Sign ups are online....as a rule I never believe anyone who says they don't watch TV...I am sure a friend or colleague told him to sign up. Given where he works his boss might have a publicist with connections.

He also said he doesn't use the internet. So, unless he lied, he still couldn't have signed up unless someone else signed him up or he had other connections to get in.

• Love 1

They had some hard challenges tonight, especially the one about making picnic looking food from desserts. I thought they all kind of looked visually unappealing so I would go on taste alone. In the first challenge, I thought the winning nachos looked really messy. In the second challenge, I didn't think the winning ribs looked like ribs either but it was a tough task.

• Love 3

Fondant should never, ever be allowed in this competition.  Not only does it taste kind of gross, but it's such an easy cheat for making food look like something it isn't, or cakes looking perfect (eg: wrapping rice krispie treats in yellow fondant for corn on the cob).  Frosting or modeling chocolate can do the same thing, and both require some skill in that you have to make them instead of pulling it out of a bucket and rolling it.

Edited by cherry slushie
  • Love 7

I was creeped out by the way the food looked.  I can't understand why anybody would want to eat that anyway.  The visual just takes over for me.

I was worried about Will.  I'm glad he stayed.

• Love 4

Good, pee guy is gone. He was shaping up to be the annoying one of the season.

I'm not crazy about fondant either, especially because it seems a lot of these bakers screw up with it, making their cakes look clumpy. I liked the concept of this challenge though.

• Love 3

I wish this show was more like The Great British Bake Off where the contestants are just told to bake cookies, or bake a sponge cake, or bake profiteroles, etc & it's up to them to come up with something instead of gimmicky things like make a dessert that looks like something else.

• Love 9

I wish this show was more like The Great British Bake Off where the contestants are just told to bake cookies, or bake a sponge cake, or bake profiteroles, etc & it's up to them to come up with something instead of gimmicky things like make a dessert that looks like something else.

Agreed, but at least these bakers seem to be decent sorts so far. 

I'm having a lovely little dinner of cold leftover salmon on a fresh spinach-mushroom salad.

I'd trade the whole shebang for one bite of that churro pudding with warm chocolate sauce.

Weird challenge.  All that meat and veg, which was really sugar, was sort of. . .disgusting.

Did "Grampy's Recipe" guy forget what a sausage looks like??

• Love 4

Don't want this to come across the wrong way but I wish they would use captioning for the lady who owns the bakery in San Antonio, they one who had to get stitches. I find myself rewinding quite often since her accent is so strong. 

My daughter was kind of watching and said aww they are sending slow talker, stoner dude home. She said they way he talked reminded her of the turtle Crush from the movie "Finding Nemo." Spot on observation, made me giggle.

I have liked both elimination challenges so far. Naked cakes because it's somewhat technical (hard to hide flaws) and dare I say, on trend. And lookalikes because it's really creative. The fondant was the easy way out and I was glad that not everyone used it. This show is no GBBS but so few are the shows on FN which have somewhat firm critiques and collegial contestants, it'll do until my real fix.

I had high hopes for the Deadhead. Moto is known for really creative cuisine, including desserts - in their heyday it had a dessert that looked like cigarettes and ashes. One of the chef/owners (Homaru Cantu) died last year so maybe it's hard times for them. Too bad. Try to watch (or steam ;) Future Food to see what it's about - it's really interesting. Anyway, dude needed to bake a little more. Part of me loved the song lyric banter between him and Bobby. Oh well.

I'm curious about the personal trainer's cream genoise, sounds really yummy.

Ashley looks like Sex and the City Charlotte (Kristen Davis) and it's really unnerving me!

• Love 1

Ashley looks like Sex and the City Charlotte (Kristen Davis) and it's really unnerving me!

Yes! I didn't watch that show but I know who she it and you're exactly right. I kept thinking Ashley looked familiar.

I didn't much like stoner guy so I'm fine with him being eliminated. All the contestants seem likable and skilled, so I've got no real favorite yet.

I think using fondant or even modeling chocolate in these "impostor" challenges is cheating (though, on the kids' show, I loved the "bacon" made from marzipan). That's why I thought the nachos were so great - all the ingredients were real food.

• Love 2

Speaking of the Great British Bake-Off, does anyone know when the next season starts in the US?  We're already two seasons behind where it's at in the UK.  I always end up missing the first two or three episodes because it just pops up out of nowhere, although thankfully, you can watch the episodes at the PBS website for the show, when it's airing here.

Edited by cherry slushie
  • Love 1

Nancy and Lorraine hate each and it's fun to watch.

I thought the same until Lorraine was a guest on Nancy's "Farmhouse Rules" show a few weeks ago. They claimed to be friends and acted pretty friendly with each other. They talked to each other and argued like they do on the baking show and it all seemed to be in good humor. It was fun to watch them interact.

Still, anybody can do anything in front of the camera. Maybe part of Lorraine's deal with FN was a mandatory appearance on FR ...

I wonder if the contestants are given the challenges ahead of time. They always act surprised, but it seems unlikely they can think of a dessert featuring five different colors and and a unique dipping sauce so quickly. I suppose it's possible they have time which isn't shown to think about and look at notes, otherwise I don't buy that they each quickly thought of something black to use (and each one was different), a minute or two before the end of the challenge.

I figured shortening guy was going home although I have heard that some cooks use shortening all of the time and you can't always tell the difference. I do agree that these contestants aren't really grabbing me like in seasons past and I don't have anyone I want to win or don't want to win. I am hungry for some shortbread cookies though.

• Love 1

I think cocky lady who chopped fruit and presented it on green ooze ought to have gone home. 

Shortening-based frosting is really a thing, and some people really do like it. I think Will (was that his name?) had more potential than fruit lady.

Also, not one of these clowns except the talented hispanic lady with 5 kids (sorry, names again)  know how to pronounce "macaron".  They were making French Macarons.  Uggggh. 

tumblr_lyz1e5ZVZZ1rnhhyeo1_1280.jpg

• Love 9

I figured shortening guy was going home although I have heard that some cooks use shortening all of the time and you can't always tell the difference. I do agree that these contestants aren't really grabbing me like in seasons past and I don't have anyone I want to win or don't want to win. I am hungry for some shortbread cookies though.

Many (if not all) grocery store bakeries use shortening and sugar. I haven't had 'butter cream' made with shortening where I couldn't tell the difference, but I've almost exclusively had it with grocery store cakes.  The minute he pulled out the shortening I knew he was going home. I do know people who like it but for me you can tell by the texture it is shortening not butter cream. Although I did feel badly how upset he seemed about going home. 

I wanted to eat all the French Macarons. I love them and since I have celiac, I can eat them too. 

I was so impressed by Kenneth's plate. It was beautiful. 

• Love 2

Many (if not all) grocery store bakeries use shortening and sugar.

My friends and I always called it Sugar & Lard frosting.

Don't want this to come across the wrong way but I wish they would use captioning for the lady who owns the bakery in San Antonio, they one who had to get stitches. I find myself rewinding quite often since her accent is so strong. 

Use closed captioning.

• Love 1

I also wonder if the bakers get some advance notice of the challenges (maybe not the twists like having to use black). It's fine with me if they do, since they still have to produce something under pressure and within the time constraints.

There's a local private club that makes the best macaroons I've ever had, and I don't even like coconut. They're soft on the inside with a crispy shell and I've been known to make my one friend who's a member bring me a bag. The only macarons I've had recently are from Trader Joes and they were quite tasty.

I thought Kenneth's plate was lovely, but I guess Jane's tasted better. Shortening guy's bake didn't look that good even without the bad frosting but, then again, that green sludge looked awful too.

For those of you who can't wait for GBBO to show up on PBS, the latest season is on YouTube, although episodes 7-11 are on a reduced-size screen (damn those copyright infringement laws!). It's still my favorite show ever.

I heard "macaroon" at first, but then both of the bakers doing them starting saying "macaron" pretty consistently.

I hate these color challenges where they have to start using food dye, which tends to produce the most unnatural and unappealing colors. Interesting that the winner focused on making a good cake, and you could hardly see the colors, they were primarily just accents. I think taste will win out over getting the letter of the challenges correct every time.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2

I think they waited too long to add the "twist" of also needing a black component. It just didn't seem to add or detract from what the bakers were already doing. I also think for needing the colors of the rainbow that it was lazy to only use five of them.

I don't know if I believe they were given the challenge ahead of time. I mean, using red frosting or blue sugar meets the spirit of the challenge, absolutely, but I would think that if they knew ahead of time, they would make a red velvet cake, a yellow cake, a blueberry tart, etc. You know, actually BAKE something with that color. 

Maybe I overestimate just how little time they had. 

• Love 1

I liked the look of the one lady's tart but agree she really didn't bake much compared to the others.

My poor teenager she was watching and wants to try macarons however they are spelled. It upsets her that she has a deadly tree nut allergy gotta go search for a recipe.