Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 04/11/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday:​  Christopher Walken (”The Jungle Book”); Matthew Perry and Thomas Lennon (“The Odd Couple”).

Tuesday: The cast of ABC’s “Shark Tank,” including Barbara Corcoran, Mark Cuban, Lori Greiner, Robert Herjavec and Kevin O’Leary.

Wednesday: John Cena (“American Grit”); Joey Lawrence (“Saved By Grace”); Yara Shahidi, Marcus Scribner, Miles Brown & Marsai Martin (ABC’s “black-ish”).

Thursday: The Fourth Annual “View/Chew” Cook-Off – the co-hosts of “The View” are paired with their pals from “The Chew” for this guilty pleasures culinary competition, with emcee Marc Summers, judges Deborah Roberts and Al Roker, with chefs Mario Batali, Michael Symon, Carla Hall, and Daphne Oz as guests. (UGH!!!)

Friday:  The Best of “After the View,” featuring highlights from “The View”’s livestream.

• Love 1

It was great to see Matthew Perry & Thomas Lennon on the show today.  I like them as individuals, but I love them in The Odd Couple, which is right up there with my favorite comedy shows.  Missed the first half of the show ... how was Christopher Walken?

• Love 1

It was great to see Matthew Perry & Thomas Lennon on the show today.  I like them as individuals, but I love them in The Odd Couple, which is right up there with my favorite comedy shows.  Missed the first half of the show ... how was Christopher Walken?

I like their version of The Odd Couple too. Matthew was on The Late Show last week and people in that thread kept harping on his look and talking about the way he sounded. He looked better to me today and didn't sound any different then usual. There was speculation that he had dental work or was drunk during a couple past appearances on different shows. I admit that every time I see Thomas Lennon one of my first thoughts is him in those short shorts. He was always a fun guest on Craig Craig Ferguson's Late Late Show and participated in skits that were more entertaining then the charades game today on The Spew.

As for Christoper Walken is was an ok interview. Once the cat was out of the bag about him not having a cell phone and not knowing how to use a computer the rest of the interview was the hosts kind of ragging him about that, asking how people get in touch with him and gasping in shock pretty much (mostly Paula) when he said he has a landline and the phone is actually on the wall in the kitchen. I kinda felt bad for him with how they went on about those things so much. 

• Love 2

I am a big Matthew Perry fan. I actually own the entire set of Friends DVDs and have watched them a lot (Don't judge-I lived in Bumfuck Egypt with no cable in those days) Matthew sounds thick tongued like he is having difficulty speaking well. I wonder if maybe he doesn't take Xanax before these appearances because of anxiety. His difficulty speaking is very noticeable to me. I watched all of his other failed sitcoms and I don't remember him ever sounding like this before. I really like him and hope he is okay. I will still watch Friends when it happens to be on tv. Matthew and Lisa Kudrow were so funny on that show

• Love 2

That show was awful. The hot topics were weirder than usual, Joy was rambling, the Jesus twins were obnoxious, and the audience was so non responsive I wondered if they even had an audience there. None of the guests seemed to be enjoying their interviews either. It was all very awkward.

• Love 5

I am a big Matthew Perry fan. I actually own the entire set of Friends DVDs and have watched them a lot (Don't judge-I lived in Bumfuck Egypt with no cable in those days) Matthew sounds thick tongued like he is having difficulty speaking well. I wonder if maybe he doesn't take Xanax before these appearances because of anxiety. His difficulty speaking is very noticeable to me. I watched all of his other failed sitcoms and I don't remember him ever sounding like this before. I really like him and hope he is okay. I will still watch Friends when it happens to be on tv. Matthew and Lisa Kudrow were so funny on that show

I hope he's ok too. I didn't see the interviews. I've just seen the Odd Couple show. He looks older and is older , so that's all I was going by.

• Love 1

That show was awful. The hot topics were weirder than usual, Joy was rambling, the Jesus twins were obnoxious, and the audience was so non responsive I wondered if they even had an audience there. None of the guests seemed to be enjoying their interviews either. It was all very awkward.

The show was awful and awkward today..I did not like the twins condescending attitude towards Joy, even though Joy was rambling. I hated how the hosts, except for Whoopie were aghast on Christopher Walken's not owning a cell phone or a computer..I thought that they were too old to be so shocked by it all....I can understand people who are below 20 to be like that, but, not grown women who are old enough to remember a time where cell phones were not the norm....I  actually thought that it was refreshing on his part..I still have a regular cell phone and I have no need for an Iphone...lol  Though, I do have a computer...lol

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 8

I didn't really pay attention to the show. I knew the topics would be boring, Walken is okay, and I'm not a fan of Friends (don't hate me) and especially not Matthew Perry. I felt sorry for Walken because his reaction time is slow, and that doesn't gel with all these women talking at the same time. I'm just glad Raven wasn't there to act gobsmacked when he said he did not use (or care about) social media.

• Love 5

I am 49 and I don't have a cell phone. I hate the idea of someone being able to track me down wherever I am. I also detest talking on the phone. Sometimes I will use my husband's cell phone when I run to the store or something. I doubt Walken appreciated their going on and on about it.  So many more interesting things to talk to him about than cell phones. This was a bad show. I hate game shows and I have no interest in watching these fools do one. Are there other people like me who would like to see a morning talk show led by women who don't dance out to their seats, giggle about sex, shill fucking merchandise ad nauseum, and play stupid games? I would like to see a diverse group of women talk about the day's issues intelligently for about an hour. No yelling or talking over one another---no Kardashian or Bachelor talk.-no diet or exercise crap or advice on how to attract the male gaze because IDGAF about that and if I ever do, I will not get advice from these people. Is that really too much to ask? From what I can tell all the morning "news" programs like Today do the same damn thing? WTF?

• Love 17

YES, YES, YES, GiveMeSpace^^^That would be a show worth watching, unlike today's boring morass.  Even Joy was unwatchable, what with the carpet, no linoleum guns (huh??  Why so necessary to give the full deets??  Apparently in her hood, kids shot carpet/lino pellets at each other. EOS.)  i also despised Joy asking Chris Walken what it's like to be 73 (oh yes, that was you, Joy, a year ago - or close.  So unusually disingenuous today.)  Hope the rest of week's shows are live!

Edited by telemachus2
  • Love 4

Wow I haven't watched yet, but it sounds like they really gave some shade to Walken . BOO

Jesus - not everyone has to be attached to techy stuff. Wow. Insulting to a grown ass man.

I cant stop saying "Wow"

• Love 4

This was a bad show. I hate game shows and I have no interest in watching these fools do one. Are there other people like me who would like to see a morning talk show led by women who don't dance out to their seats, giggle about sex, shill fucking merchandise ad nauseum, and play stupid games? I would like to see a diverse group of women talk about the day's issues intelligently for about an hour. No yelling or talking over one another---no Kardashian or Bachelor talk.-no diet or exercise crap or advice on how to attract the male gaze because IDGAF about that and if I ever do, I will not get advice from these people. Is that really too much to ask? From what I can tell all the morning "news" programs like Today do the same damn thing? WTF?

The problem is networks (and advertisers) all try to appeal to the lowest common denominator.  And unfortunately that is stupid people. (Yes Whoopi I said stupid).  They always use the argument this crap is what people want to see.  Bullshit.  This is what they continually shove down our throat. If we the viewers were given a smarter alternative I have no doubt people would tune in.  Would it get huge ratings?  Probably not.  But to be told this shit is the only choice we have is an insult. 

• Love 7

WOW!

***giggle snort*** !

I thought it was just me but obviously others noticed: Matthew Perry looked bad and he seemed to have difficulty speaking.Otherwise, it was a pretty dull show.

I should watch the show before opening my yapper. :-)

• Love 1

I watched topics and it did seem like Joy was rambling and Miss Whoopi was nice and quiet until she had to jump on Paula who said she had told her son she made a mistake using a bad word and then Miss Whoopi has to begin lecture number 5,903,000.001 this month about ??  WTF "you need to take it a step further!"  and she went on and on completely off the rails!  Thank you to that interruption with a robot or whatever it was.  Shut her up!  I fail to see the draw of CCB or Paula with their Christian beliefs and need to spout it all the time when their demographic is so low.

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 7

Regarding Christopher walken not having a cell phone or computer, I'm guessing his wife who is a casting director has one or both and he has "people" to do things for him.  they have no kids, and maybe being on line has no interest for him.  I used to Watch Regis and Kelly and Regis always said he was computer illiterate but his wife had a computer and certainly wasn't.  Of course, I could be totally off base here!!

Matthew Perry looks old to me.  

• Love 5

I watched topics and it did seem like Joy was rambling and Miss Whoopi was nice and quiet until she had to jump on Paula who said she had told her son she made a mistake using a bad word and then Miss Whoopi has to begin lecture number 5,903,000.001 this month about ??  WTF "you need to take it a step further!"  and she went on and on completely off the rails!  Thank you to that interruption with a robot or whatever it was.  Shut her up!  I fail to see the draw of CCB or Paula with their Christian beliefs and need to spout it all the time when their demographic is so low.

YES! Instead of  having two people who are all but almost the same... heaven forbid they have a Muslim on the panel .... some day....oh the horror !  

• Love 3

No yelling or talking over one another---no Kardashian or Bachelor talk.-no diet or exercise crap or advice on how to attract the male gaze because IDGAF about that and if I ever do, I will not get advice from these people. Is that really too much to ask? From what I can tell all the morning "news" programs like Today do the same damn thing? WTF?

Apparently it is too much to ask!   According to Raven, you are no one if you don't have the latest cell phone.

GMA has become "Entertainment Tonight" in the morning. I will not watch it.

• Love 8

Maybe Matthew Perry is one of those people who look like hell when they haven't had the amount of sleep they need.  Also, he is doing a play in England so he's traveling back & forth, possibly dealing with jet lag.  I'm not making excuses for him, but I'm one of those people who is totally miserable & gets black rings under my eyes if I'm sleep-deprived.  Just sayin'.

• Love 7

First time I've watched the show in months and immediately turned it off once they started riding CW's ass about having no cell phone.  My husband & I are in our early 40s and **GASP!!!**  neither one of us owns a cell phone nor do we have any desire to own a cell phone.  I get sick & tired of people in my real life acting like I am some sort of social reject who doesn't belong in society when I say I have no cell phone -- "Whaaa??!!!  How on Earth do you manage to survive??!?!  Egads!!  How can you breathe without one??!!"  that I don't need to tune into this shit show to watch a table full of cranky harpies ride a well-respected and established actor's ass because he says he doesn't have one either.  I am so above and beyond over this shit show but miss interacting with all of you fine people.

• Love 11

I'm catching up on The Graham Norton Show from last season (thanks, BBCA, for holding it back), and Matthew was a guest on one of those shows. He sounded weird (weirder) then. I think he's naturally funny, and God knows I look a lot different than I did when Friends was in its first run, but I do wonder what's going on with his voice. It's noticeably different, and not in a good way.

• Love 2

First time I've watched the show in months and immediately turned it off once they started riding CW's ass about having no cell phone.  My husband & I are in our early 40s and **GASP!!!**  neither one of us owns a cell phone nor do we have any desire to own a cell phone.  I get sick & tired of people in my real life acting like I am some sort of social reject who doesn't belong in society when I say I have no cell phone -- "Whaaa??!!!  How on Earth do you manage to survive??!?!  Egads!!  How can you breathe without one??!!"  that I don't need to tune into this shit show to watch a table full of cranky harpies ride a well-respected and established actor's ass because he says he doesn't have one either.  I am so above and beyond over this shit show but miss interacting with all of you fine people.

I had to get a cell phone in 2000 because my boss insisted.  I have the same phone now & have it in my purse for when I'm "out & about", but it only works, I've found, if I charge it.  It does everything I need & have no desire to get an Iphone.  OTOH, a friend of mine got his first Iphone last September & is still barely able to just answer a call on it.  LOL.

• Love 8

I have an iPhone which I rarely turn on. Before I retired in December, I had to carry a govt. phone with me 24/7. I hated being available 24/7, so now I'm not. I lived for decades before cell phones existed and found that I like the peace and quiet that comes from being unreachable. It's amazing how much flack you get though. It's like you owe it to people to be available. Umm, no.

• Love 17

I have an iPhone which I rarely turn on. Before I retired in December, I had to carry a govt. phone with me 24/7. I hated being available 24/7, so now I'm not. I lived for decades before cell phones existed and found that I like the peace and quiet that comes from being unreachable. It's amazing how much flack you get though. It's like you owe it to people to be available. Umm, no.

PREACH!

• Love 3

I remember Matthew Perry from his 1987 sitcom on the brand new Fox network. He always had a bit of a lisp on his "s's". He also had different teeth back then . He got a Hollywood set when he hit big on Friends.

Love Thomas Lennon, I miss Reno 911!

• Love 3

The problem is networks (and advertisers) all try to appeal to the lowest common denominator. And unfortunately that is stupid people. (Yes Whoopi I said stupid). They always use the argument this crap is what people want to see. Bullshit. This is what they continually shove down our throat. If we the viewers were given a smarter alternative I have no doubt people would tune in. Would it get huge ratings? Probably not. But to be told this shit is the only choice we have is an insult.

Maybe this is why Netflix, Hulu, etc. , have become so popular. I hate games too. Why have people on if they don't have anything to talk about (the guests-- not the hosts). The hosts are one trick ponies, except for Joy-- most of the time. Lazy hosts? Or just dumb? Or both?

• Love 1

I am old and I love my iPhone. It backs up to the cloud and I use it as a calendar and address book. People who say they can't use them are just saying that or haven't tried. They are very easy to use. I say you can't break it unless you drop it in the toilet or throw it onto concrete. We gave up the house phone. Now I never have to wait at home for a call. And there is a button to hit if you don't want to take a call. Or let it roll over to voice mail. Probably off topic so I'm done with my unpaid commercial!!!

• Love 7

I was not happy with Paula's bullshit about telling her son, "Art is not your strength". If a kid draws a picture , he's expressing himself. It doesn't have to be judged, it's a picture. And then telling him " art is not your strength, it's your sister's strength. Yours is sports" what is the message she's giving him? Don't ever try something outside your comfort zone? Don't do something just for fun, unless you excel?

I felt sorry for her son when she said that. Why can't kids be encouraged to draw, or sing, or do anything they enjoy, just because a sibling does it better?

• Love 18

Maybe Matthew Perry is one of those people who look like hell when they haven't had the amount of sleep they need.  Also, he is doing a play in England so he's traveling back & forth, possibly dealing with jet lag.  I'm not making excuses for him, but I'm one of those people who is totally miserable & gets black rings under my eyes if I'm sleep-deprived.  Just sayin'.

I'm catching up on The Graham Norton Show from last season (thanks, BBCA, for holding it back), and Matthew was a guest on one of those shows. He sounded weird (weirder) then. I think he's naturally funny, and God knows I look a lot different than I did when Friends was in its first run, but I do wonder what's going on with his voice. It's noticeably different, and not in a good way.

While I didn't see the show today I'll just say Matthew Perry was on CBS This Morning last week (great show btw, especially if you hate GMA or Matt Lauer)  and I was stunned how rough he looked.  I loved Friends - I still stop and watch it if it's on when I'm home and yes, I still laugh out loud at it.  I'm about their age though so seeing Perry look so much older and rougher than he did on the 20 year old rerun I watched last night bums me out and reminds me that I don't look the same either, LOL.

When my nephew was 16 he had his phone taken away for a week - I thought he would go crazy because he was always on it but in fact he told me (in confidence) he didn't really mind because it was a nice break from his mother texting him all day long and he got alot of things done.    I'm glad to hear Christopher Walken manages to live a full life without a cell phone - my 79 year old father refuses to carry one (I've bought him several pre-paids and he just lets them expire)  and in fact still has a land line complete with a phone on the wall just like Walken LOL.  Last summer a friend visited with her middle school grandkids who asked what it was!

• Love 5

...... I fail to see the draw of CCB or Paula with their Christian beliefs and need to spout it all the time when their demographic is so low.

Polls are always in flux and the way questions are asked also come into play.  Mitt Romney actually won married white women in 2012 and that is a big chunk of the demographic at home, watching The View.  Or at least that is the audience that ABC wants watching The View.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/153995/stay-home-moms-lean-independent-lower-income.aspx

At the same time, stay-at-home mothers' ideological views mirror those of the broader population of women, with 37% describing their views as conservative, 39% as moderate, and 20% as liberal.

Wikipedia has the rundown:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2012#Voter_demographics

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 1

I was not happy with Paula's bullshit about telling her son, "Art is not your strength". If a kid draws a picture , he's expressing himself. It doesn't have to be judged, it's a picture. And then telling him " art is not your strength, it's your sister's strength. Yours is sports" what is the message she's giving him? Don't ever try something outside your comfort zone? Don't do something just for fun, unless you excel?

I felt sorry for her son when she said that. Why can't kids be encouraged to draw, or sing, or do anything they enjoy, just because a sibling does it better?

EXACTLY, backformore! Thank you! I always found something to praise in my son, cuz I wanted him to feel confident and try everything. My son is not a great singer, but he enjoys it, and who of us is? He is 28 now and did karaoke the other night with friends for fun. I wasnt a good drawer in elem school, but I as an adult I learned to sew and craft a shitload of cool stuff. I stayed away from arts classes all through school. More's the pity.

Paula is wrong. What if her son hurts himself in sports? What's his strength then? Arggh, the hosts on this show are morons.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 6

So does Paula think that art is only for girrrrls? Does she not know that, even in the art world, there are more male artists than female? Rembrandt, Picasso, Van Gogh, Renoir...I suppose she's never heard of them, eh? What? Is she afraid that her son's interest in art or drawing might turn him gay? Because as we all know, there aren't any women in sports!

Of course, there's the possibility I don't know what I'm talking about, since I didn't watch and deleted the episode, based on all y'all's' comments!

• Love 6

You got it, GHScorpiosrule! Never discourage a kid from anything--except hurting himself/herself, which goes without saying--although in the mindset of this show, I'm sure if I said "anything"-- without the disclaimer, Whoops wd get all up in my grill and lecture me ad nauseum. Gahhhh!

I may be feeling exasperated this a.m. cuz I wasted time watching yesterday's show.

• Love 3
I'm about their age though so seeing Perry look so much older and rougher than he did on the 20 year old rerun I watched last night bums me out and reminds me that I don't look the same either, LOL.

It has been 20 years since MP's been on Friends, and not just a normal 20 years, but a 20 years filled with drug and alcohol addiction.  That shit ages.

• Love 6

You got it, GHScorpiosrule! Never discourage a kid from anything--except hurting himself/herself, which goes without saying--although in the mindset of this show, I'm sure if I said "anything"-- without the disclaimer, Whoops wd get all up in my grill and lecture me ad nauseum. Gahhhh!

I may be feeling exasperated this a.m. cuz I wasted time watching yesterday's show.

I just have this negative reaction when parents use "labels"  for kids -  like - this is the athletic one, this is the creative one. 

Kids end up hearing it as "I'm not athletic like my brother"  or "I'm not artistic like my sister".  I came from a large family, and each of us had a label when my mom talked about us to others, and it was very hurtful to all of us.  Like, if you label one child as "this is my smart one", the effect is that the rest of the kids feel that they must be stupid.   (sorry, Miss Whoopi, I know that's a swear word!)

With Paula, she was discouraging her kid from DRAWING.  First,  often times girls master fine motor skills at an earlier age while boys often master gross motor skills earlier (boys run jump and climb, girls draw, write, etc)   But they catch up.  The brain continues to develop.  So you can be not so good at something at one age, and then excel at it later.    But DRAWING?   If a kid likes to draw, let him. Telling him "it's not your strength"   is like telling him don't even try, you're not an artist.

It's like singing.   It's not something you have to be GOOD at, if you enjoy it.  And his sister is going to hear "sports aren't your strength, that's your brother's strength".  That's like telling her -  don't play sports, sit down and draw a picture. 

sorry to go on about this, she just pushed my "bad parent"  buttons.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 10

So, did no one tell Paula wrong she was to label her kids? Or question what she said?

I get you, backformore, because I was the "smart one" and my younger sister the "pretty one." Then it was I was the "booksmart one" and my sister was the "streetsmart one" etc., etc.  I didn't appreciate then, nor do I now, and I'm with you on labeling kids. Hell, even adults.

• Love 3