Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

RIP, Jack Bruce.  I've still got my Cream album "Disraeli Gears" (the original '67 one, not the re-released one) and I still play the hell out of it.

Edited by Ohwell

Damn damn damn.   This is so sad.    

God she must have been young when Kotter was on.   That was a great show and she added so much to it.   

I also loved her in Tremor the Series.   The hippie Earth Mother trying to live and let live with El Blanco while keeping Burt Gummer from setting off World War III.   

Far too young, far too soon.

• Love 2

God she must have been young when Kotter was on.   That was a great show and she added so much to it.   

I also loved her in Tremor the Series.   The hippie Earth Mother trying to live and let live with El Blanco while keeping Burt Gummer from setting off World War III.   

Far too young, far too soon.

So agreed :(. I recognized the name. So sad.

RIP Mrs. Strassman.

26 or 27, around there, I think.  I recall reading some article or book (maybe it was about Travolta) that said that while she maybe seemed to play older as Kotter's wife, she was in actuality only a few years older than the actors playing the Sweathogs.  Then again, even with Kaplan the age difference between the Kotters and the Sweathogs was less than you'd expect (Kaplan was only 30, and even Travolta, the youngest of the cast, already in his 20s).

• Love 1

Which makes sense.   Kotter was clearly just out of college at his first teaching job.   Which makes him 22/23.   The Sweathogs were not Freshman, so 15/16 when the show started (boy were those some OLD looking 15/16 year olds) which makes the age difference about 6 or 7 years.   

Julie was young but trying to be the mature married woman.   Who made horrible tuna casserole.    She wasn't much better as a potter on Tremors let me tell you.

I remember her best as Nurse Cutter(?) from M*A*S*H.   She organized the nurses to "strike" and nobody got to go on a date until somebody 'made Edwina his own'. Hawkeye drew the short straw (literally).  She was in a few first season episodes, but I remember that one best.  RIP Marcia Strassman :(

• Love 3

I loved Car Talk!  It is best that he had complications that took him out.  Alzheimer's is not something that you want to prolong, that is for sure.  For the care takers as much as the person.  

I loved Car Talk!  It is best that he had complications that took him out.  Alzheimer's is not something that you want to prolong, that is for sure.  For the care takers as much as the person.  

Yea, had a neighbor who had it some years back that really suffered due to it. It's not something I'd wish on anyone, that's for sure.

I saw the news about Tom this afternoon as a I am "friends" with Car Talk on Facebook. I had no idea he suffered from Alzheimer's. Admittedly I haven't listened to the show in a while, were they still taping new episodes?

Back before I Had baby number two I used to work in a four story building and on my lunch breaks I would download Car Talk pod casts and listen to Tom and Ray while I ran the stairs. I lost all the first baby's weight and then some and hardly even noticed I was excercising because I was laughing so much!

• Love 1

They stopped producing new Car Talk episodes in 2012. The world is poorer for losing Tom's laugh, beloved by goats everywhere (according to one episode, during which I nearly drove off the road from laughing so hard).

• Love 5

They stopped producing new Car Talk episodes in 2012. The world is poorer for losing Tom's laugh, beloved by goats everywhere (according to one episode, during which I nearly drove off the road from laughing so hard).

Same here. I'd double over in laughter at times. And the credits were priceless XD.

R.I.P. to Richard Schaal, prolific HITG! actor (and Valerie Harper's ex-husband) who passed away Tuesday at 86. I remember him best from the various roles he played on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, Rhoda and Phyllis, but he appeared on dozens of TV shows (and several films) from the mid-60s thru the 80s.

• Love 4

I just saw a thing about All The President's Men on some channel yesterday. 

Rest well, Mr. Bradlee.

Edited due to Portia gently correcting me. :-)

I read the book and saw the film, and both were great. Richard Poe did a superb job narrating on the audiobook as well.

• Love 1

Dalziel and Pascoe used to be part of the A & E Tuesday night detective line up.   You know back when they were Arts & Entertainment, not "what schlock can we put on this week?"   I liked it a lot.   Not as much as Morse and Silent witness, but more than A TOuch of Frost and the one with the psychologist (which clearly I cared so much about I don't even remember the name).

• Love 2

It's getting to the point that I don't want to look into this forum, scared of who is next.  Ugh. 

Thing is.  We are all going to transition, die, croak, pass, whatever word works for you.  I never feel sad when someone dies, even if we see it is "before their time."  Is it really?   Not sure what determines our leaving.   I know it is complicated.   I secretly applaud when someone exits because, deep inside, I think that is a fabulous experience.  Those left behind, who love them, suffer.  That is where the sadness comes from me.   

Re: Warren Clarke. I don't remember the first time I saw him...maybe Jewel in the Crown, but he seemed to show up in all sorts of British things I enjoyed. Sleepers with Nigel Havers was one. It hasn't aged well--I tracked it down a couple of years ago. And Top Secret is, imo, under-rated. I had mixed feelings about him being cast as Andy Dalziel because he didn't really fit my mental image of him from the books. Andy is God, after all. But he did well enough. It's a bit of blow losing Reginald Hill 2 years ago and now Clarke. Now there's really no more Dalziel.

It's getting to the point that I don't want to look into this forum, scared of who is next.  Ugh.

Well it is the celebrities-who-died forum, it's not like you're going to be surprised with happy news in here.  ;) 

Now that I have seen exactly what Alzheimers does to a person, I'm not as sad as I used to be about people who got struck down some other way, let alone people who make it to 77 without that affliction. 

• Love 1

Damn that is way too young. RIP Glen Larson.

Indeed! I remember how his production logo had the flashes and the light rays, and that stylized "GL" on the dark blue background, when it was on Knight RiderThe Fall Guy, and quite a few others. 

• Love 1

We just lost Dagliesh. Now we lost his creator. PD James passed. Man she was old. But still sad.

You gave me a scare! Both Roy Marsden and Martin Shaw, the two actors who have portrayed Adam Dalgliesh, are alive and well. I think you must mean Warren Clarke, who portrayed Andy Dalziel.

Edited by praeceptrix
  • Love 2
He was also part of the family that trained the Lassie dogs.

Oh, I remember that name--Rudd Weatherwax was the Lassie trainer.   I used to see his name in the credits when I watched Lassie as kid.

Well, RIP, Ken.

• Love 2

Mary Ann Mobley had a successful, if unspectacular career in movies and TV after her reign as Miss America 1959. Ms Mobley was always a classy lady.  May she rest peacefully, reunited with husband Gary Collins passed in 2012.

• Love 3