Type keyword(s) to search

Diem Brown: True Fighter

Stinger97
  • Start Topic

From the media thread:

I find it very touching and it clears up some confusion for me. I had been told by a reliable source that they have not been a couple for a while but kept seeing posts that they were. I guess people were guessing? Regardless I am so happy they've remained friends and that he's being a strong source of love and support for her.

As far as I know, they've been a couple since Rivals II, though they've publicly denied it. Not only were they sighted together almost constantly in both Boston and NY, but a few of the sightings were of them making out/holding hands/etc. I also had heard it from a couple of people who are close with cast members. I don't know about the past couple of months, but I can't imagine them agreeing to go on the challenge together if they had just recently broken up, given the intensity of that relationship.  A couple of cast members have also re-posted CT's photo with captions about true love. I really feel for both of them--they finally got together only for her to get sick again, and in a major way. It's really awful. I hope she's able to keep her positive spirit, but at this point I'm sure it's a challenge. 

I'm hopeful for Diem, but I'm scared for her also. To have new tumors in the couple of weeks she was recovering from surgery seems like the cancer must be very aggressive. I hope she's able to get into chemo soon and there won't be any more setbacks.  

Her tumors could be shedding, it means that cells travel to other parts of the body and grow new tumors. It's less frightening than complete full body metastasis. Diem is very, very sick but she can recover. She's a young woman with access to almost all medical therapies. The biggest issue right now is getting her weight up. To that end, I think CT should dump her for a weekend so she wants ice cream and chips. (I know it doesn't work that way and her weight is not related to diet.)

Every time I see there's a new post here, I'm all but covering my eyes as I click on it.  

I admire the hell out of her for maintaining a positive attitude in the midst of this.  It will serve her well no matter what comes her way, but I hope that her positive outlook brings positive things to her.  

Every time I see there's a new post here, I'm all but covering my eyes as I click on it.

That makes two of us. This definitely seems like her toughest battle yet. She can't start the chemo to treat the colon cancer until she is healthy enough but seems like she's losing more weight rather than gaining. And it just seems like her body has taken such a beating that you wonder how much more it can withstand. 

Rest in peace, Diem.  God bless her friends and family.  

I know it wasn't rational, but I was really holding out hope she'd get a miracle somehow.  it's heartbreaking to see what this disease can do to someone so determined and full of life. 

• Love 6

Just saw the news on my Twitter timeline - punch in the gut. I knew it was coming. I honestly did not think she would make it the moment I found out about the colon cancer because it seemed clear that the cancer was spreading. I obviously didn't know her personally but watching her on the Challenges, as far back as Fresh Meat when she had just found out she had ovarian cancer the first time, it did feel like I knew her so this really hurts. 

RIP girl...you fought and you fought hard. Now it's time to sleep peacefully.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

I just heard the news.  I'm very sad.  I've always liked Diem, and found it increasingly uncomfortable the comments she would get about milking her cancer and acting like a diva.  I wonder how CT is doing.

Edited by RedheadZombie

I noticed in the picture she has an ng tube. Hopefully that will help with the weight loss.

It no longer matters, but it looks like her NG was to suction, not providing tube feeding.  I didn't even know she was sick again.  This really shook me up.

I don't think I watched all of her appearances but I'm still...rattled.  She fought.  I liked that when she was on tv, from what I saw of her, she was a whole person- flaws and all- and not just someone who was sick.  I hope she's at peace now.  That's a lot to go through for anyone, let alone someone that young.

• Love 1

Wow. May she rest in peace. 

I haven't watched a Real World episode in years, and I checked out of the challenges long before that, so I was surprised when I saw it in the news ticker on Facebook. Diem was a fighter, that's for certain. 

I didn't find out until just now. I know she wasn't the most popular cast member, but I don't think anybody should have to go through what she had to endure, not even those that are beyond redemption. As entitled as she could be on the show, I don't think she was that hate-worthy.

And yeah, I can't imagine what CT is going through. After BOTExes, I wanted them to get hitched and adopt lots of kids. To me, they were the Elaine & Puddy of the Challenges.

Anybody have some good memories of her? Right now, I'm thinking of her and CT in The Duel. I'm trying to avoid how he let her down at the end of BOTE. I can barely remember her and Derrick in Fresh Meat.

I didn't find out until just now. I know she wasn't the most popular cast member, but I don't think anybody should have to go through what she had to endure, not even those that are beyond redemption. As entitled as she could be on the show, I don't think she was that hate-worthy.

And yeah, I can't imagine what CT is going through. After BOTExes, I wanted them to get hitched and adopt lots of kids. To me, they were the Elaine & Puddy of the Challenges.

Anybody have some good memories of her? Right now, I'm thinking of her and CT in The Duel. I'm trying to avoid how he let her down at the end of BOTE. I can barely remember her and Derrick in Fresh Meat.

I worry about CT.  We all saw what a bad place he was in after he lost his brother.  I hope he has the right support system in place around him to keep him from going to that place again.  

I'm someone who didn't always like Diem's Challenge persona, but I think we all recognize that, for the most part, what we see of them on our screens during the season isn't the whole picture of who they are as people.  (i.e. Johnny, who is apparently a much different, and nicer, person off screen).   

I respect anyone who makes helping others their life's work, and that was what she did.  

It always seems so brutally unfair when someone so young passes away.  I really hope she was at peace in the end.  

• Love 3

Honestly, I always liked Diem and thought some of the fandom hate for her was extremely over the top and exaggerated. I was always very uncomfortable and slightly horrified by the snarky "cancer girl" comments and things that seemed to mock her battle because to me, there was a lot that could have been used to attack her without going at something that was very real and brutal. What always convinced me that she was not a bad person is that almost none of the people who did challenges with her had anything negative to say about her.

She was one of the few challenge contestants almost everyone liked. It's a pity that her last Challenge appearance unfortunately was the one where she was suddenly the "disliked and bitchy" one and she was edited like this crazy monster. I actually think she wasn't very confrontational and the few times she had issues with someone came across as passive aggressive simply because she was never going to be the violent, screaming, angry and raging type like many of these girls on the challenges. 

At the end of the day, nothing I ever saw on the challenges ever convinced me she was anything but a genuinely sweet person and it is truly heartbreaking that she basically spent the last ten years of her life battling this disease until her poor body just couldn't fight anymore. As for good Challenge memories, I did like when she and CT seemed to bury the hatchet and come to a positive place during Battle of the Exes especially because of how angry he was at her for a long while after they split. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

It's been years since I've watched MTV but I would occasionally read the boards to see what fame whores were still sticking around (not that I'm calling Diem a famwhore per say) which is how I found out about her recent battle with cancer. When Diem first appeared on my screen years ago I had an instant like for her. I thought her name was beautiful and I thought she was beautiful and someone worthy of being admired for all the health issues she had faced. I thought she deserved way better than CT but it sounds like they were back together and he had changed his ways a bit.

Cancer scares the shit out of me. I lost an Aunt to breast cancer almost 10 years ago. She was 38 and had a two year old and four year old. The same age as my own children. Diem was only two years older than me and it just hits so close to home when you see people who are the same age as you dying so young to stupid cancer. I can't imagine having been diagnosed in your young twenties, what should be some of the best, carefree days of your life. I hope her family and CT can make peace with this and realize what a true fighter she was. One to be admired for sure!

I'm crying now too. That was a beautiful article. I'm happy she was surrounded by her loved ones at the end.

I love how her friend says that as they were at her bedside talking about her, Diem put her "2 cents in to the end".

Fucking cancer.

• Love 1

CT was by her side all the way up to the end. Whatever his many faults he really did care deeply for her. I'm sure he is taking this pretty hard. I've always liked Diem but I hadn't watched the Challenge regularly in a long time. I had no idea her cancer had returned so I was absolutely shocked to read about her passing today. RIP Diem. 

Even when you know it's coming, it's still very hard news to take. Between Diem and that guy who had his wife and newborn die, it does reinforce that life is unfair sometimes. But for Diem, it was amazing that she had the inner strength to deal with her cancer as long as she did. And in the midst of all that, she went on many Challenges and completed some of the more grueling missions the show had to offer. I'm just glad that her pain is over, while also feeling sad that she wasn't able to fulfill all her life dreams.

• Love 1

From the People article:

Soon after her death at 10:22 a.m. – the very same time she was born on June 12, 1982 – the hospital's fire alarm went off.

"There were strobe lights, and it was so loud – like a dance club," says Rotondi. "All of our hearts stopped. It was classic Diem. She was up there having her dance off. It could not have been more fitting. It was like, 'Yep. She did that.' "

Diem in the PM! She'll be missed.

Edited by Bob Sambob

I have attended way too many funerals due to cancer in my life. It's a genetic curse on my Mom's side of the family.  It's so tough to watch someone die such a slow, agonizing, wasting death. Fuck cancer indeed!

I stopped watching the challenges years ago but I read People.com sometimes and she blogged there, so I knew she was sick again. When I read that it had spread to her colon, stomach, and lymph nodes I knew it was the end. That People article was beautiful, as is that picture of her and CT.

Diem and I are contemporaries. I'm at a point in my life where I no longer take good health for granted - when I have a physical and everything is fine, I'm relieved. Life is so unfair sometimes - I just learned that a childhood friend buried her infant son yesterday. He lived an hour. Sometimes things like this really do have you asking why.

Sincerely sad about this. I've always enjoyed Diem in her Challenge appearances, for better or worse, I've always gotten a genuinely good person vibe from her. From her first diagnosis to her relationship with CT all the way up to their reconciliation and her second + finally, the third. She was beautiful and a doer 'til the end. MEDgift is an amazing legacy for her as well as her many others, she's touched a lot of lives for the better.

Reading how she managed to get her body into a kneeling position and prayed for peace just breaks my heart but really proves how strong she was through the whole thing. A lot of her last Tweets mention her constant pain and I'm glad she's finally free of that.

RIP D. I'll send up a heathen prayer for you. And CT :(

RIP.  She seemed to really be in need of winning money on the Challenges, especially coming back from cancer before her hair had grown back.

How did she manage to get treated for cancer 3 times?  Usually would exhaust most insurance policy and what kind of insurance could she had if she didn't work regularly and had to repeatedly get cancer treatments?

Anybody have some good memories of her?

Her first kiss with CT.

Realizing she couldn't wear her wig in a challenge involving mud, and everyone's support when she exposed her bald head.

Powering up the mountain of snow barely out of breath, while CT is wheezing and collapsing.

• Love 3