Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

That's so sad.  She was so fabulous on SNL, among the best.  Hopefully they'll do a bit of a tribute on SNL this weekend.  Somehow I don't think they'll go to the lengths they did for Gilda, Hartman, or Farley but I'm hoping for more than a dedication.

At least Bill Hader is hosting this week, I've seen him do interviews about how underrated the women of SNL have been and mention Jan Hooks specifically.  So maybe something in the monologue.

• Love 1

Here's how long I've been a fan of Jan Hooks: I remember her on the Turner Broadcasting Network sketch comedy series, The Bill Tush Show, in the early '80s. She was very young but already a standout talent. Tammy Jean? Anyone, anyone?

My very favorite thing she did on SNL were the Sweeney Sisters musical sketches with Nora Dunn.

• Love 2

Here's how long I've been a fan of Jan Hooks: I remember her on the Turner Broadcasting Network sketch comedy series, The Bill Tush Show, in the early '80s. She was very young but already a standout talent. Tammy Jean? Anyone, anyone?

My very favorite thing she did on SNL were the Sweeney Sisters musical sketches with Nora Dunn.

Look what I just found:

• Love 1

Wow, I feel like it's my birthday! Thanks for all the great Jan Hooks clips, everyone! I had never found a decent Tammy Jean or Sweeney Sisters clip in the past, so those vids are very much appreciated. In that Tammy Jean sketch she was, what, 23? Sometimes I feel like I hallucinated the Tush show because no one else in the world seems to remember it. That show also launched the prolific Terry and Bonnie Turner.

I love the Sweeney Sisters more than life itself, and it breaks my heart that no good clips are available, though the one above is the best I've seen. Nearly every Christmas, my husband and I have a moment where we look at each other meaningfully and then say, in unison, "BELLS." (We've known each other a loooong time.)

I still can't believe Jan Hooks is gone. The only explanation I've read is "serious illness." Is it morbid to ask if anyone has heard anything more specific?

Edited by Portia

I still can't believe Jan Hooks is gone. The only explanation I've read is "serious illness." Is it morbid to ask if anyone has heard anything more specific?

Whatever the illness was, Hooks was very private about it.  Not even TMZ seems to have a clue. 

It was so cool seeing Jan as Jenna Maroney's mother, Verna, in 30 Rock a few times in recent years.  Perfection,

• Love 1

Thanks for all the great Jan Hooks clips, everyone! I had never found a decent Tammy Jean or Sweeney Sisters clip in the past, so those vids are very much appreciated.

Yahoo screen has a bunch on SNL clips.  They've been adding since she passed away. 

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

So sad about Jan Hooks. First came across her on 3rd Rock as Vicki Dubcek. YouTube has a bunch of HQ sketches with her. I floved the Lifetime parody show "Attitudes."

Edited by joelene
  • Love 1

WOW, don't know where I have been, evidently under a rock, cause I just found out about Jan.  How incredibly sad.

I first knew her from Pee Wee's Big Adventure - "There's no basement at the Alamo!" - and fell in love with anything she ever did since.  My fave character on SNL was Sinead O'Connor, albeit I couldn't really tell you anything she did that I didn't like.  Tammy Faye Baker was another one I absolutely loved. 

She was in a little known movie I just saw again about 3 weeks ago, Simon Birch as an uptight Sunday School Teacher.  Wowzers, again, she was a powerful performer.

RIP Jan - you will be missed.

BTW - Wikipedia says Cancer was involved, don't know how reliable that is.

• Love 1

Horrible news about Misty.  Do you know why she was taking medication?  Another must-rent movie is Frozen River.

Her father said she's bipolar, and had episodes of depression and anxiety. I'm hoping this turns out to be false, it'd be like Robin Williams all over again.

EW reports that Misty Upham's family has confirmed her death.

After a body was found in Auburn, Washington yesterday—eight days after actress Misty Upham was reported missing—a family spokeswoman has confirmed the body to be that of the 32-year-old actress.

If this next part is true, how doubly awful:

Local filmmaker Tracy Rector, a friend of Upham’s, said that the Auburn Police Department was less than helpful in the search process: “The family wants everyone to know that the Auburn police did not help with this situation at all,” she told THR. “They refused to help. When she disappeared on Oct. 5, the family knew something was seriously wrong—it was out of character for her to be gone so long without being in touch—and they repeatedly went to the police, who insisted there was no cause for concern.” According to Rector, Upham’s uncle led the search party.

Funny how so many think we rest when we die.  RIP. Seriously?  I don't believe that but it matters not;  Different beliefs.  I hate the thought that when we die it is over and we rest!  NO way, baby!!!! We continue!  Anyone out there that is with me or is everyone Christian here! ???? 

Well, if you think we rest then you do.  I don't.  Just an opinion.  When someone sneezes I say, "stop it!"  It is so silly to say bless you on so many levels.  But that is just me. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

Ben Bradlee, former Washington post editor has passed away.

I just saw a thing about All The President's Men on some channel yesterday. 

Rest well, Mr. Bradlee.

Edited due to Portia gently correcting me. :-)

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 2

I just saw a thing about All The King's Men[ on some channel yesterday. 

Rest well, Mr. Bradlee.

I'm a huge Robert Penn Warren fan, but I think you mean All the PRESIDENT'S Men?  :-)

• Love 3