Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Liberty Medical?

To Gen Xers he is the oatmeal guy.  

I remember recently looking up how old Wilford Brimley was recently and being surprised that he was "only" in his 80s because he has looked like he is 80+ years old for as long as I can remember back IN the 80s.  

• Love 24
14 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Liberty Medical?

To Gen Xers he is the oatmeal guy.  

I remember recently looking up how old Wilford Brimley was recently and being surprised that he was "only" in his 80s because he has looked like he is 80+ years old for as long as I can remember back IN the 80s.  

Yes.

• Love 5

I have never actually seen the movie Cocoon (have to add it to my list to see......I literally have a list)..........He was 51 when the movie was made.  

He was only 13 years older than Deidre Hall, who played his daughter in law in Our House.  

• Love 8

Wilford Brimley-- I loved his role in "Absence of Malice". It's not a really big part, probably 30 minutes on screen, but he owned it. When you can share the screen with Paul Newman and shine, that's saying something. Although, to be fair, Newman mostly just sits silently in a chair for  most of that time, but still. A great part of a great movie.

Also, his turn on Seinfeld, when Kramer doesn't want to get his mail anymore-- "I am the postmaster, but I'm also a general-- and the job of a general is to, by God, get things done !" Had poor Kramer shaking in his shoes !

• Love 6
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I have never actually seen the movie Cocoon (have to add it to my list to see......I literally have a list)..........He was 51 when the movie was made.  

He was only 13 years older than Deidre Hall, who played his daughter in law in Our House.

Regarding the bolded: Deidre Hall’s family in Our House was supposed to have been from my hometown before they moved to California (I think it was) to live with Wilford Brimley’s character after the death of his son; Wilford was supposed to be Deidre Hall’s character’s father-in-law & the grandfather of the 3 kids in the show (who included Shannen Doherty, pre-90210 & the original version of Charmed). They accurately named both our city & which county of our state my hometown’s in more than once during the show’s relatively short run on NBC (I think it was only 2 seasons), so I think someone with the show must’ve had a local connection. I remember reading, during the show’s brief run, that Deidre Hall & Wilford Brimley apparently didn’t get along very well.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To correct the spelling of Deidre in 1 place.
  • Love 3

The only two films that I ever thought were as equally pleasing as the book were ... Bonfires of the Vanities

Err....I always thought the movie was a shitshow that had lots of potential but never quite clicked.

• Love 3

On The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson, Geoff Peterson (the robot skeleton sidekick created by the recently deceased Grant Imahara and voiced by Josh Robert Thompson) would frequently imitate Wilford Brimley.  He was finally booked as a guest, and had obviously never watched because he said he had no idea why they would want him on the show.  Geoff (at whom Mr. Brimley seemed bemused) wisely remained quiet and Craig did not explain (he seemed to like Craig, but I don't think it would have gone over very well).  Mr. Brimley later made another appearance to perform a song, but I'm pretty sure he had to pause at one point because of a coughing fit.

Although I watched Our House, oddly the thing I remember most about it was how before each commercial break, they would show a picture of the family's house and put a photo of something that had happened during the most recent segment in one of the windows, gradually filling all the windows by the end of the episode.

• Love 8

I always thought the movie was a shitshow that had lots of potential but never quite clicked.

There's a whole book about how everything in the production went wrong. My favorite anecdote is when Melanie Griffith wasn't needed on set for a few weeks she returned with visibly larger breasts that didn't match the continuity of anything that had already been shot.

Wilfred Brimley was only 51 in Cocoon?! And Melanie's mother Tippi Hendren is still chugging along at 90 and living with tigers.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

THANK you! And don't even get me started on The Pelican Brief. Grrrrr.

The only two films that I ever thought were as equally pleasing as the book were Lonesome Dove and Bonfires of the Vanities. 

You should post that last part in the Unpopular Opinions thread in the Movies section to start a discussion! Bonfire of the Vanities being a good is definitely not the popular consensus! 

I remember Our House. There was that one episode where there was an earthquake but the eldest daughter didn't experience it because she was off in a biplane piloted by her boyfriend which she wasn't supposed to? She was looking down at the town not aware it was shaking. She got caught when she got home and everyone was freaked out and she was like "Whaaa?" I think that's what happened but it's been a long time since I watched it.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, BradyBunchFan said:

Since users on here are mentioning that they thought Wilford Brimley already passed, I thought the same thing myself when first reading the news about it.

Mr. Brimley definitely had that weird 'old forever' vibe since he was only 51 when he starred as the retiree grandfather in Our House! Somewhat like the late character actor Charles Lane had had (most famously as the mean skinflint Homer Bedloe on Petticoat Junction). Charles Lane had a sunken chest and spindly arms from way back and somehow was able to pass for 60 in movie and TV roles - for about 60 years! Yet, Mr. Lane would live to 102 (!)!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

Mr. Brimley definitely had that weird 'old forever' vibe since he was only 51 when he starred as the retiree grandfather in Our House! Somewhat like the late character actor Charles Lane had had (most famously as the mean skinflint Homer Bedloe on Petticoat Junction). Charles Lane had a sunken chest and spindly arms from way back and somehow was able to pass for 60 in movie and TV roles - for about 60 years! Yet, Mr. Lane would live to 102 (!)!

Same as Whitman Mayo, Grady on Sanford & Son.  He was in his early 40s when it was on, yet he played Sanford’s best, oldest friend.

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, auntlada said:

Huh. I just watched an episode of "Grey's Anatomy" that he was on and had to look him up because he looked so familiar.

I had never seen "Enter Laughing" until last week when it was shown during TCM's Carl Reiner tribute night. I, too, had to look him up because he looked so familiar.

Edited by lurkerbee
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, lurkerbee said:

I had never seen "Enter Laughing" until last week when it was shown during TCM's Carl Reiner tribute night. I, too, had to look him up because he looked so familiar.

He was in many other movies and shows too including 28 Days.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Josette said:

On YouTube: The fishing scene from Cocoon that Ron Howard mentioned.

When he was on Inside the Actors Studio he said each of the actors playing the seniors had a different style: Don Ameche was old Hollywood where he just needs to know where his mark is, Hume Cronyn was New York theatre, Jack Gilford was a vaudevillian and Brimley as Howard said "Let me just talk to the boy".

3 hours ago, BradyBunchFan said:

He was also in four episodes of Seinfeld as Poppie The Pizza Guy.

One of the best moments!

BlankSaltyBeauceron-max-1mb.gif.753d421c4220387296076f83ff624c72.gif

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

When he was on Inside the Actors Studio he said each of the actors playing the seniors had a different style: Don Ameche was old Hollywood where he just needs to know where his mark is, Hume Cronyn was New York theatre, Jack Gilford was a vaudevillian and Brimley as Howard said "Let me just talk to the boy".

One of the best moments!

BlankSaltyBeauceron-max-1mb.gif.753d421c4220387296076f83ff624c72.gif

I wish that I could find a video, but I couldn’t!

According to a Facebook post written by his friend and TV writer-producer Tracy Newman, Santoni died on Saturday morning. He had been “sick for quite a while.”

• Love 1
On 8/2/2020 at 7:47 PM, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding the bolded: Deidre Hall’s family in Our House was supposed to have been from my hometown before they moved to California (I think it was) to live with Wilford Brimley’s character after the death of his son; Wilford was supposed to be Deidre Hall’s character’s father-in-law & the grandfather of the 3 kids in the show (who included Shannen Doherty, pre-90210 & the original version of Charmed). They accurately named both our city & which county of our state my hometown’s in more than once during the show’s relatively short run on NBC (I think it was only 2 seasons), so I think someone with the show must’ve had a local connection. I remember reading, during the show’s brief run, that Deidre Hall & Wilford Brimley apparently didn’t get along very well.

I remember watching Our House because it followed NBC's NFL telecasts, back when NBC had the rights to AFC games then.

• Love 2

Unfortunately my view of Dick Goddard is colored by two meetings, including one accidental when his long time g/friend shared a hospital room w/my mother.  The other time I met him when I got lost at Channel 8 when l was there for a class taping.  

Both times, he was not a nice man.  Now he may have been ornery that the g/friend didn’t have a private room at Fairview, but back in the early 90s that was rare still.  We didn’t bother them, but I remember mom saying that he wasn’t very pleasant even when she didn’t have visitors.  Granted, my mom went home after three days, so she only saw him a few times too.

But aft that I always looked at his smile as fake, but not his love of animals.  That I will admit was real and honest.  He was also one of the first, maybe even the first, to get a seal from the Meterological Society - the seal you usually see right b4 the weather person comes on.

However, it is the passing of an era.  I was shocked to read he just retired a few years ago!  (We haven’t lived in OH since 2005.)

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, BradyBunchFan said:

Dick Goddard is also in the Guiness Book of Records for having the longest career ever for a TV meteorologist, over 50 years.  I'm in my 60's and some of my earliest childhood memories are of watching him doing the weather on Channel 8 when it was still a CBS affiliate.  My little sister, age about 3 at the time, had a crush on him, called him 'Dick Gutter'.

As many Clevelanders know, the Ohio legislature passed a law a few years back making animal abuse a felony.  It's know as 'Goddard's Law' because he spearheaded the campaign.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

From the New York Daily NewsLegendary Columnist and Writer Pete Hamill Dies At 85 After Fall

He fell and fractured his hip on Saturday, after which he was hospitalized; then he died in the intensive care unit, of heart & kidney failure, 4 days later.

I was going to post that myself, but decided not to because the URL in the link that I planned to use had the word politics in it.

Edited by BradyBunchFan
34 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Dick Goddard is also in the Guiness Book of Records for having the longest career ever for a TV meteorologist, over 50 years.  I'm in my 60's and some of my earliest childhood memories are of watching him doing the weather on Channel 8 when it was still a CBS affiliate.  My little sister, age about 3 at the time, had a crush on him, called him 'Dick Gutter'.

As many Clevelanders know, the Ohio legislature passed a law a few years back making animal abuse a felony.  It's know as 'Goddard's Law' because he spearheaded the campaign.

I'm not from Ohio myself (I live in New Hampshire), but he seemed like a real legend over there.

3 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Sexual assault survivor Daisy Coleman (whose story was featured in the Netflix documentary Audrie and Daisy) has committed suicide at age 23. I feel sick with grief, and am so pissed off at shitty town that turned against her at her time of need. Rest in peace, Daisy, you beautiful angel.

https://people.com/crime/daisy-coleman-high-school-rape-survivor-dies-by-suicide/

Oh, no!  This tears at my heart.

Her advocacy will live on, via the documentary (which I recommend to everyone; it's a difficult watch, but a necessary one) and the organization she founded, but it is utterly tragic that she is gone. 

Shame on all her attackers - that entire "wolf pack" (her rapist, the guys who dumped her passed-out body in a frozen yard, the asshole who filmed the rape), all the assholes who passed that video around school, the despicable sheriff who blamed the victims (her best friend was raped that night, too), the corrupt prosecutors who dropped charges because the rapist was part of a locally-powerful family, and everyone who bullied her and her family relentlessly because she dared speak out against the football star.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh, no!  This tears at my heart.

Her advocacy will live on, via the documentary (which I recommend to everyone; it's a difficult watch, but a necessary one) and the organization she founded, but it is utterly tragic that she is gone. 

Shame on all her attackers - that entire "wolf pack" (her rapist, the guys who dumped her passed-out body in a frozen yard, the asshole who filmed the rape), all the assholes who passed that video around school, the despicable sheriff who blamed the victims (her best friend was raped that night, too), the corrupt prosecutors who dropped charges because the rapist was part of a locally-powerful family, and everyone who bullied her and her family relentlessly because she dared speak out against the football star.

Sadly, Darren White could very easily be re-elected as sheriff. Well, you know what? He's exactly the sheriff that a shithole like Maryville deserves. Any town that stands behind a rapist just because he's related to someone important and knows how to throw a ball gets no sympathy or compassion from me.

The Colemans have endured way too much loss, I hope they can find strength somehow.

• Love 6