Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

49 minutes ago, praeceptrix said:

Original Supremes member Barbara Martin has died. She was 76.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51766812

I wonder if Mrs. Martin regretted leaving or if she saw the sad fate of Florence Ballard and thought 'there ,but for the Grace of God, so I could have gone'?  Well, I hope she had a happy life with her family and they all were somehow emotionally enriched by  her earlier experience. RIP, Mrs. Martin. 

• Love 3

Joyce Gordon, apparently the first woman to wear glasses in a TV ad, has died at the age of 90. Her obituary is quite interesting. I'd probably recognize her voice, but had no idea how important and groundbreaking she was as a labor leader.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/arts/television/joyce-gordon-dead.html?algo=als2_desk_filter&fellback=false&imp_id=643219108&imp_id=483833483&action=click&module=editorsPicks&pgtype=Article&region=Footer

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

I am embarrassed to say I hadn't heard of him, because my exposure to jazz has never gotten further than the Vince Guaraldi trio playing 'Linus and Lucy'.  But this guy is fantastic.  Maybe I'm the only one here who didn't already know that, but seriously, play the links in those articles.  It's worth it.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

RIP.  Mr. Tyner.

My husband is a ginormous jazz fan.  I mean, he can listen to Dexter Gordon, Sonny Rollins and John Coltrane (all tenor saxophonists) play the exact same piece and pick out which is which because he is so familiar with their individual styles.  Our first date was a Sonny Rollins concert.

We saw McCoy Tyner twice.  He is a beautiful pianist.  Just so expressive.  Also he is the pianist on one of the arguably best jazz albums ever made, Jon Coltrane's Love Supreme.

• Love 9

Please note that we have clarified the policy on this thread.  As the purpose of this thread is not to be a collection of obituaries but rather a place to pay respects to recently departed celebrities, we ask that some context be added when an obituary is posted.  This could be a personal recollection or even a quote from the article.  

We also ask that additional obituaries not be posted for those who are already mentioned in the thread.

There is also a note on every page of this thread regarding this.

• Love 17
(edited)

Nicholas Tucci, Channel Zero and You’re Next star, dies at 38.

"Originally from Middletown, Connecticut and best known for his work on Channel Zero and You're Next, Tucci also logged roles in horror film Long Lost, games Wolfenstein: The New Order and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, and TV shows Ramy, Pose, Homeland, Quantico, The Blacklist, and Daredevil. He currently has three movies set for release in 2020: Ten Minutes to Midnight, Come Home, and Ballad of a Hustler."

Quite the resume. Not sure if he would classify as a HITG!, but close enough?

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Oh now, this makes me so sad.  Danny Tidwell of So You Think You Can Dance Season 3 has died.  Only 35.

I LOVED that season.  His Argentine Tango with  Sarahwas one of my abso lute favorites ever!

Damn.  I loved Danny.  What a beautiful dancer he was.

• Love 4

Max Von Sydow, a man who I thought was eleventy million years old back when I first saw the Exorcist back in the 80s, has died at 90. Thanks for all the nightmares since, chief!

giphy.gif

(edited)
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I'm ashamed that after all his countless amazing roles, the one I remember him most from was Emperor Ming.

I've heard the name before, and only knew him from The Exorcist along with Flash Gordon and that was it.

Wasn't familiar with the other movie roles.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault
  • Love 2

Max Von Syndow was in so many many movies.    Too big of an actor to be "hey it's that guy" but man he did a lot.   Always really well too.   From camp to deeply serious to horror.   We lost a legend.

• Love 12

Earl Pomerantz passed away..He was a sitcom writer and blogger. Ken Levine wrote a nice tribute to him. He wrote classic episodes of Cheers, Taxi, Mary Tyler Moore. Funny and spot on about writting.  I know writers are not as a big a deal as actors but for me, seeing names on those opening credits, still means something. It may just be a name to some but it feels like a friend..RIP..

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2020/03/rip-earl-pomerantz.html

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Earl Pomerantz passed away..He was a sitcom writer and blogger. Ken Levine wrote a nice tribute to him. He wrote classic episodes of Cheers, Taxi, Mary Tyler Moore. Funny and spot on about writting.  I know writers are not as a big a deal as actors but for me, seeing names on those opening credits, still means something. It may just be a name to some but it feels like a friend..RIP..

That's a nice tribute from Ken Levine.

2 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Another lovely tribute by Ken Levine.  Earl Pomerantz created Best of the West!!!!!!! Loved that show!  I sometimes search YouTube for lost episodes.  It deserved far more than one season.  R.I.P. Mr. Pomerantz.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 9

That article just goes to show how far we still have to go in how we understand and thus speak about mental illness - the manner of death was suicide, but the cause was bipolar disorder.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

Barbara C. Harris, the first female bishop in Anglican communion, has died at 89.  

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/14/815892227/barbara-c-harris-first-female-bishop-in-anglican-communion-dies-at-89

From the article:

She was elected as a suffragan, or assistant, bishop in September 1988. On Feb. 11, 1989, Harris was consecrated as a bishop in the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts.

Her rise to bishop broke centuries of precedent for tens of millions of Christians in the Anglican Communion, which has members in more than 165 countries.

May she rest in peace.  

• Love 1

Barbara C. Harris, the first female bishop in Anglican communion, has died at 89.  

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/14/815892227/barbara-c-harris-first-female-bishop-in-anglican-communion-dies-at-89

From the article:

May she rest in peace.  

Truly a great woman.

I am neither religious nor a member of her faith, but I clearly remember when she was ordained as Bishop; she was a double first: first woman, first African-American woman. She made history and inspired so many by her example.

May she rest in peace.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Aw geez there has been such bad luck with twin child stars lately. Poor guy.

Although I feel like I should add that I always hated how the writers wrote Sam and David acting like...I don't know what the right word for it is, but those who watched the show know exactly what I'm talking about.

• Love 3

The man who brought us the Members Only jacket has died. If you are old enough, you will remember everyone wore those jackets. Or more likely, a no-name knockoff of the Members Only jacket. I used one for years as my spring windbreaker. I'm pretty sure I have it in my closet still although it's not been worn in a very long time. You weren't fashionable unless you had that on. You could argue it was the defining look of the 80s.

• Love 13
On 3/15/2020 at 12:31 PM, BW Manilowe said:

From The Hollywood Reporter (THR)Lorenzo Brino, ‘7th Heaven’ Star, Dies at 21 (Report) He & his twin brother, Nikolas, played the youngest Camden children, twins Sam & David (he was Sam), in the later years of the series. He was killed in a car accident.

Well that's sad to read and way to young. I remember watching that show as a kid. I liked that they managed to have the same kids who played them as babies continue to play them to the point where they had dialog.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, rainsmom said:

Lyle Waggoner passed away. I saw him in reruns of The Carol Burnett Show, but he was the object of my first childhood crush when he played Steve Trevor on Wonder Woman. RIP, Lyle.

https://deadline.com/2020/03/lyle-waggoner-dead-carol-burnett-show-wonder-woman-actor-was-84-1202885749/

I never watched Wonder Woman, but I enjoyed him on The Carol Burnett Show. More often than not. he was the handsome "straight man" to the wacky others, and later got replaced by the zany Tim Conway. I enjoyed Conway, especially as Boss Tudball and the teller of that crazy "Conjoined Elephants" story, but I wish Waggoner could have stayed also.He had his funny moments.  In "Lovely Story," a spoof of "Love Story," Oliver (Harvey Korman) says to Jenny (Carol), "I'll get you the world's best doctor!" Lyle comes in, says, "I'm the world's best doctor!", unpacks an assortment of scary-looking medical instruments, takes one look at Carol, says "Uh-oh!" and gathers them up again.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
17 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Yes, it's me Lyle Waggonner, everybody....Awww...I loved him on Golden Girls. Will have to watch that episode tonight..

No autographs.
No problem.

Although I loved Wonder Woman as a kid, that GG episode is the first thing I thought of, too.  (Just like any mention of Sonny Bono makes me think, "Sonny Bono, get off my lanai!")

• Love 15
On 3/17/2020 at 2:41 PM, rainsmom said:

Lyle Waggoner passed away. I saw him in reruns of The Carol Burnett Show, but he was the object of my first childhood crush when he played Steve Trevor on Wonder Woman. RIP, Lyle.

Sad to hear of Lyle Waggoner's passing.  Loved him on both The Carol Burnett Show and Wonder Woman.  Lyle and Sharon Waggoner went on to start Star Waggons which provides top quality trailers for movie sets.  R.I.P. Mr. Waggoner.

Lynda Carter posted this on her IG page:

• Love 19

Sad to hear of Lyle Waggoner's passing.  Loved him on both The Carol Burnett Show and Wonder Woman.  Lyle and Sharon Waggoner went on to start Star Waggons which provides top quality trailers for movie sets.  R.I.P. Mr. Waggoner.

Lynda Carter posted this on her IG page:

Mr.Waggoner had a tough role to fill- playing a rugged, dashing military man who constantly wound up over his head and needed to be rescued by Wonder Woman- yet despite that fact STILL maintained his dignity and bearing that one could believe enlisted men would be proud to serve under AND that women would swoon over.  It's great that Miss Carter paid tribute to him AND that he didn't attempt to lord it over her re her lack of previous experience or chomp at the bit that he was a featured player NOT the title star of the show (while Larry Hagman HAD behaved badly in that vein to the patient-to-a-fault Barbara Eden on I Dream of Jeannie). 

Also, although he never was as zany as Harvey Korman or Tim Conway, he made the most of his abilities as a good straight man, foil on the Carol Burnett Show.

Great that, rather than complain about not being a contender, he wisely decided to make a living AWAY from showbiz by practically  inventing the niche of custom-built trailers and making life quite comfortable for his loved ones.RIP, Mr. Waggoner!

• Love 19