Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

NC/MA to Adelaide

The husband declared that he wanted to move to Australia because they have such a good work-life balance there. So what is he doing? Working his same job in Adelaide for the same company. How does that make sense? Maybe it is his goal was to land another job in Australia.  

You gotta have great job security to take your American job with you elsewhere. You can be the great employee who doesn't require housing in an office building. You can also be the one people think of as making it difficult to schedule meetings with because of the time difference. I've been through that a lot. Somebody will be working off hours; most likely on those days he'll be working in the evening and maybe into the wee hours. I wonder what it's like to be laid off when you're working overseas?

I liked that the mother was happy about there being an upstairs. Apparently, she's experienced at teaching small children to go up and down the stairs and not break their necks. Perhaps she should teach this skill online. 

• Love 9

NC to Adelaide. There was clearly much missing from the backstory. The wife said she and her parents had vacationed there last year and then she decided they just HAD to move there. Really? And what did the wife do for a living? She mentioned she would be working. Yes, the husband is doing the same accounting job that he did in NC. It is on his LinkedIn. No mention of Australia. I thought it was a weird episode.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mojito said:

The husband declared that he wanted to move to Australia because they have such a good work-life balance there. So what is he doing? Working his same job in Adelaide for the same company. How does that make sense?

I wondered that as well. Working at home means less commuting time so he has more to spend with the kids?  You don't need to move halfway across the world to do that;  just set up a workstation in your current home and tell your boss you aren't driving in anymore.  And if the whole thing was so that he could be near a beach, the US has plenty of coastline to chose from.  The whole thing was goofy.

And having worked for a multinational corporation, scheduling meetings can be a nightmare. I had to go into the office in the middle of the night for some overseas meetings.  Or those in Europe or Asia did - we took turns to make it fair.

• Love 3

"I liked that the mother was happy about there being an upstairs. Apparently, she's experienced at teaching small children to go up and down the stairs and not break their necks. Perhaps she should teach this skill online. " - LOL, loved that one, Mojito. 

The condo they chose is really small, and the bathroom they showed looks really tiny.  I'm not a fan of the huge bathrooms that most HH's seem to want, but this one was even too small for me. 

Maybe the husband does a type of work that he doesn't have to interact with his co-workers or clients very often, but I can see how the time/date difference could be a problem.  Never thought about it before.  I generally enjoy the Australian episodes, and did enjoy seeing the children at the animal exhibits.

• Love 1
On 5/4/2018 at 2:06 PM, mojito said:

The husband declared that he wanted to move to Australia because they have such a good work-life balance there. So what is he doing? Working his same job in Adelaide for the same company. How does that make sense? Maybe it is his goal was to land another job in Australia. 

In my experience, having the same job in another country can make a big difference. I used to work for a large international tech/e-commerce company headquartered in the US. I worked at the company's German office my first three years there, and then transferred to the HQ in the US. I was still doing the same job, but on a different team. In Germany, I had three more weeks of vacation time, and rarely had to work evenings or weekends. If I had to work in the middle of the night - fixing a bug when I was on call, or rolling out a new feature - I was entitled to 10 hours of "continuous rest" per German law, so if I was up until 2am working, I didn't have to work again until noon. My German boss never sent me "urgent" emails outside of work hours.

In the US, doing the same job, I regularly worked evenings and weekends (as did all of my coworkers), my boss regularly emailed me on weekends expecting an immediate reply, and made me pull all-nighters to put together all the data she needed for a presentation she was giving the next morning (I was never told about those presentations more than 24 hours in advance). Granted, the company is notorious for the brutal way they treat their employees (you may or may not have read a New York Times article about it a few years ago), but countries like Germany have laws in place to prevent that.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

...but countries like Germany have laws in place to prevent that.

Yeah, from what I've heard, many many countries treat workers so much better than the US.  Work life balance is considerably better.  Not sure about Australia but it's possible.

• Love 1

In my experience, having the same job in another country can make a big difference. I used to work for a large international tech/e-commerce company headquartered in the US. I worked at the company's German office my first three years there, and then transferred to the HQ in the US. 

I didn't hear him say that he transferred to a branch office or headquarters in Australia and was now reporting to different management, so it was my understanding that he was merely doing his job for his US company in Australia. Your scenario makes sense, though, if he's reporting to Australian management now. I've worked for many large high-tech corporations, and work-life balance much depended on your management. My last two managers didn't like me working many extra hours.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:43 PM, Pickles said:

NC to Adelaide. There was clearly much missing from the backstory.

My only thought was the husband had had an affair and the wife was moving him as far away from the mistress as possible! 

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:06 PM, mojito said:

I liked that the mother was happy about there being an upstairs. Apparently, she's experienced at teaching small children to go up and down the stairs and not break their necks. Perhaps she should teach this skill online. 

Maybe she can teach adults too?  So the Notting Hill Wife won't fall to her death off of her two kitchen steps?

• Love 9

I am floored that they went with the no tv, no internet, no air conditioning house in Chaing Mai, I assumed it was a red herring because the no internet particularly seemed extreme when they said they talked everyday he was in Afghanistan and being so far away from their family in Pittsburgh. 

They could also get a projector and get DVDs for cheap without having cable. 

• Love 4

Pittsburgh to Indonesia

Interesting back story. Initially, I thought the husband was an incredibly selfish person with the constant demands to television and Internet. He comes home a couple times a year and this is what he demands? But then later, when they implied that he didn't have such luxuries in Afghanistan, it all made sense. He's a network engineer working in Afghanistan. I would expect that he gets paid a shitload of money for that but maybe times (and employment opportunities) have changed from the old days. Or maybe they're just socking away shitloads of money for some point in the future when they will live large elsewhere.

The wife didn't fret about schools, so I gather she home schools. I hope living in that neighborhood the kids get to mingle with other kids and pick up some new language skills and they're not isolated from the community.  She has the kids doing yoga and was fine with them not watching TV and reading books instead. Might be a cool experience for them to be in an Islamic country, too.

Nice family.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mojito said:

Might be a cool experience for them to be in an Islamic country, too.

They moved to Thailand, which is over 90% Buddhist not Indonesia. 

• Love 3
(edited)

The couple and their 17 year old daughter moving to Amsterdam. Did not like the mother or the daughter. They came across as very entitled. The daughter started out the show by saying something along the lines of--I had a walk in closet in our old house and I expect to have one here. Nice. The mother and father both seemed overly invested in the daughter, in my opinion. No need to worry about the daughter. She was 17, but appeared supremely confident and self assured to the point of being off putting. Appearance wise, she was  a clone of the dad.

Edited by Pickles
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, Pickles said:

The couple and their 17 year old daughter moving to Amsterdam. Did not like the mother or the daughter. They came across as very entitled. The daughter started out the show by saying something along the lines of--I had a walk in closet in our old house and I expect to have one here. Nice. The mother and father both seemed overly invested in the daughter, in my opinion. No need to worry about the daughter. She was 17, but appeared supremely confident and self assured to the point of being off putting. Appearance wise, she was  a clone of the dad.

Okay I was not sure what to make of the super peppy way too chirpy Canadian couple.  Why are you moving to Amsterdam right before your daughter graduates high school?  You can't wait a year?  Hey daughter - are you paying rent?  Then shut it.  And they pulled out the whole "We are spending so much time together as a family!" line  - like really?  You can't do that in Canada?

• Love 6
On 5/3/2018 at 5:15 PM, Ohwell said:

The funny/sad thing about Princess Notting HIll is that I'd bet good money the only thing she knows about the area is what she saw in the movie.  She probably imagines herself standing in front of Hugh Grant.   

No doubt when they return to the US, she'll also be spouting a faux British accent.

• Love 9
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, mojito said:

Pittsburgh to Indonesia

Interesting back story. Initially, I thought the husband was an incredibly selfish person with the constant demands to television and Internet. He comes home a couple times a year and this is what he demands? But then later, when they implied that he didn't have such luxuries in Afghanistan, it all made sense. He's a network engineer working in Afghanistan. I would expect that he gets paid a shitload of money for that but maybe times (and employment opportunities) have changed from the old days. Or maybe they're just socking away shitloads of money for some point in the future when they will live large elsewhere.

The wife didn't fret about schools, so I gather she home schools. I hope living in that neighborhood the kids get to mingle with other kids and pick up some new language skills and they're not isolated from the community.  She has the kids doing yoga and was fine with them not watching TV and reading books instead. Might be a cool experience for them to be in an Islamic country, too.

Nice family.

I hadn't caught what type of engineer he was so thanks. I thought the wife was being selfish.  Apparently he had been in Afghanistan working for quite some time while she was home in Pittsburgh with her internet and other amenities. Yes, it IS nice for the kids to be away from too much gaming and television watching but he had been coming back to the US only 2x a year.  So with the move a bit closer, even if he comes home 4x a year, it would be nice if the guy could relax and watch a bit of TV.  I guess maybe they FaceTime via mobile phone?  Was there even decent cell phone service in that area?  I thought for sure they were going to pick the house that was a mix of traditional but had the cable hook up. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

So with the move a bit closer, even if he comes home 4x a year, it would be nice if the guy could relax and watch a bit of TV. 

Shouldn't he want to spend the limited time he has with his family paying attention to his family?

I don't think she was any more selfish than he was in that they both had logical reasons for wanting what they wanted.  She left the US with her kids to move to a foreign country to be closer to, but not with, her husband.  As a result, he gets to visit four times instead of twice per year.  But still, she has to live there year round so I tend to see her side.  That traditional home was gorgeous and just seemed peaceful.

But this, of course, is HH fiction.  Who knows if he's really TV/internet deprived in Afghanistan?  And I'm sure there are some places in Thailand he could watch TV.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Shouldn't he want to spend the limited time he has with his family paying attention to his family?

I don't think she was any more selfish than he was in that they both had logical reasons for wanting what they wanted.  She left the US with her kids to move to a foreign country to be closer to, but not with, her husband.  As a result, he gets to visit four times instead of twice per year.  But still, she has to live there year round so I tend to see her side.  That traditional home was gorgeous and just seemed peaceful.

But this, of course, is HH fiction.  Who knows if he's really TV/internet deprived in Afghanistan?  And I'm sure there are some places in Thailand he could watch TV.

I am sure in Thailand there are places he can watch more than TV!!!!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, BlossomCulp said:

Sounds like one of the few times when the non working spouse genuinely is making some "sacrifices"! 

I have to support the wife here. I am in a couple of "angel" groups that support the military - both deployed and families at home.  It's a terrible, lonely life for the spouse (wife or husband) left behind to handle life while their better half is deployed especially if there are kids involved.  It's a single parent existence with worry added into the mix. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

It's a single parent existence with worry added into the mix.

My husband is an engineer who worked a lot of the time on contracts away from home, that's one reason back in the day that we decided to start moving around as a family.  I can only imagine how much more difficult my life would have been when he was still working away from home if I'd had the added worry about his safety!  At least for me most of the worry was I knew as soon as his plane took off that something in the house or car would break down.  Like within minutes of him leaving.  It's as if they knew!

• Love 4

I went to grad school a few years ago (starting a new career) in Brattleboro, VT which is close to East Dummerston. It’s my dream to move back to Vermont so I can’t believe that lady wanted to move to Santo Domingo. Doesn’t hurt that I hate hot weather. 

• Love 5

Okay I was not sure what to make of the super peppy way too chirpy Canadian couple.  Why are you moving to Amsterdam right before your daughter graduates high school?

Wild-ass guess: the daughter needed to get away from her high school and surroundings for social/emotional reasons.  

• Love 3
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Doesn’t hurt that I hate hot weather. 

Couldn't pay me to move to Santo Domingo especially from somewhere as gorgeous as Vermont. I know she wanted her son to live his roots but I can't imagine too many American-raised kids wanting to head south like that. I wonder if there is another back story here.  And was the kid adopted?  I didn't hear anything about a man in the picture.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Couldn't pay me to move to Santo Domingo especially from somewhere as gorgeous as Vermont. I know she wanted her son to live his roots but I can't imagine too many American-raised kids wanting to head south like that. I wonder if there is another back story here.  And was the kid adopted?  I didn't hear anything about a man in the picture.

It made no sense to me, either.  It didn’t seem like she spoke Spanish since she said her little boy didn’t.  Surely there are immigrants from Santo Domingo in the eastern US.  I’ll bet there are cultural opportunities in that community that would be available to her son and would make more sense than moving down there. 

I figure he was adopted or the result of sperm donation or his father was totally out of the picture.  Otherwise, it seems like there would’ve been extended family down there to connect with.

• Love 1

And didn't the Vermont/Dominican Republic mom actually say 'I always wanted to live in a tropical paradise', as her other rationale for taking her boy little boy away from that lovely farm?  She looked like an out-of-shape Rockette with a bad boob job. And those apartments were all pretty atrocious; if she wanted a warmer climate and Spanish-language speakers her kid could interact with, why not just go to Florida? 

And can an English teacher there actually teach effectively without understanding Spanish herself?

• Love 2

For most of the show I thought the Santo Domingo woman's child's name was Myson. "My son" this and "My son" that but near the end she said his name was Starling? So Myson isn't so bad after all lol. Nice to try and get him connected to his Dominican roots. I guess she wanted him to meet his father's family there and speak Spanish and get immersed in the culture. The child did seem happy from what we were shown so that's the important thing. I don't suppose she plans to stay there forever. Santo Domingo was a lot nicer than I thought it would be but I think her budget was so conservative that the apartments she looked at were in some dodgy looking areas. I did a quick google and found some really lovely apartments in the city for about $1000-$1500US and up.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, ZoZose said:

For most of the show I thought the Santo Domingo woman's child's name was Myson. "My son" this and "My son" that but near the end she said his name was Starling? So Myson isn't so bad after all lol. Nice to try and get him connected to his Dominican roots. I guess she wanted him to meet his father's family there and speak Spanish and get immersed in the culture.

There didn’t appear to be a father in the picture at all. As for learning about the culture, as others noted, a lot of Dominicans live in the US, especially in NYC and south Florida.

Vermont ::sigh::

• Love 1

Yes, there are cities with large Dominican populations in the US but that would not at all the same as beong immersed in the culture by living there for a few years and he is at a good age to do it. 

• Love 2

Just watched the episode with the couple moving to Warsaw (and wife was 4 months pregnant).  Sure enough, thinking himself hi-lar-ious, the husband did a full backwards JUMP (not fall!) on the bed in the first apartment (which was not the one they chose).  I absolutely hate that-why would anyone jump on a bed or step into a tub/shower with shoes on when it is not their own home/apartment?  He jumped hard enough that I was surprised that the bed did not just collapse.  I just find it extraordinarily rude when people have no consideration for the property of others and jump on the furniture (just like every season of The Bachelor when all the women jump on the beds of every hotel room).  Maybe I'm just old and grumpy...

• Love 13

Re: the couple who moved to Antwerp, wow, they sure had young kids (loved the red hair). Anyway, I loved the house they picked. Those stairs ought to get them in shape. The suburban house was lovely, but without a car she would be stuck there (unless there were buses). The place with the weird bathroom must have been built for uni students. Each bedroom had its own sink! 

• Love 1

Flemington to Antwerp: Oh my merciful heavens, but those two were unattractive. They must have had to have sex in the absolute dark with bags over both their heads.

She was whining about not having enough closet space. For what? Your torn jeans and dirty hoodies? And the place with multiple showers? You should have picked that one, since it was painfully apparent that neither of you showered with any regularity. They both looked like they needed a flea dip. These two were the schlubbiest Hunters I have ever seen on this show ever.

I feel badly for their kids.

• Love 3

NJ to Antwerp

Two showers, a toilet room off the hall, and sinks in the bedrooms. Were there sinks in the shower rooms?

I'm no germophobe, but not locating a sink next to a toilet just seems so very, very wrong. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Flemington to Antwerp: Oh my merciful heavens, but those two were unattractive. They must have had to have sex in the absolute dark with bags over both their heads.

She was whining about not having enough closet space. For what? Your torn jeans and dirty hoodies? And the place with multiple showers? You should have picked that one, since it was painfully apparent that neither of you showered with any regularity. They both looked like they needed a flea dip. These two were the schlubbiest Hunters I have ever seen on this show ever.

I feel badly for their kids.

Equating perceived unattractiveness with poor hygiene? What's painfully apparent to you is different than what's painfully apparent to me.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 7
40 minutes ago, mojito said:

NJ to Antwerp

Two showers, a toilet room off the hall, and sinks in the bedrooms. Were there sinks in the shower rooms?

I'm no germophobe, but not locating a sink next to a toilet just seems so very, very wrong. 

Nope, the sinks were in the bedrooms.  The shower rooms didn't look to have anything other than a shower stall and some hooks on the wall.  I think that, in parts of Europe where buildings predate indoor plumbing, it wasn't unusual to get running water before indoor toilet facilities were available.  So, people got sinks before there were toilets in the house. Also, of course, buildings needed to be adapted and space found for the bathroom facilities.  I think this is why we see a fair number of European places where the sink is not close to the toilet and/or the shower/bathtub is located in an unusual site.  Remember the kitchen with the shower in it earlier this season? 

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, mojito said:

NJ to Antwerp

That's how the student housing when I studied abroad in Wales in college was. One person rooms, each with their own sink.  Then a separate toilet room in the hall (and yes the lack of sink in the toilet room grossed me out....how could that door handle not have been a biohazard...), and another separate room in the hall that had the shower and a bathtub.  There were no sinks in the "communal" areas.  They weren't old buildings, that's just how they were laid out.  I guess maybe if that Antwerp place had been geared towards students and/or multiple roommates at some point, that may be why it's laid out that way. 

• Love 3

NJ to Antwerp- I couldn't understand why the builders hadn't just made that corridor (with the 3 doors) into a big bathroom, it looked like there would have been plenty of space.  I agree this was probably a student or rooming house solution ( a lousy one).

When this episode started, I couldn't stand the husband, but he was OK by the end. I sympathize with his lack of enthusiasm for the long commute and the need to search for a parking spot every night.  I was also impressed that the obligatory party scene at the end included people who weren't expats or real estate agents.

The kids' hair was fabulous (it's so sad that color doesn't last)- hopefully they each inherit the best of their parents' features, who were indeed homely. Maybe the '65 steps' to get to their apartment will get them in shape! (She needs to consider white strips, though).

• Love 3

NJ to Antwerp - I had to wonder what they saw in each other.   I could give her a pass because she may have looked different before she became a harried mom of 2 but was it his (less than) stellar personality that attracted her?  Some of his commentary about the houses were eye-roll worthy.   "Do they charge extra for the squeak?"

• Love 2
(edited)

I think the increased walking and bike riding will benefit the Antwerp couple greatly. Enough said.

ok, I just have to add....they shouldn't have worn those awful torn jeans. They're on national TV! Make a little effort, no matter what size you are. You don't have to be a fashion plate, but wear something decent. I wouldn't wear those jeans to paint the house.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 3

Watched the last 20 minutes or so of one this morning that I am positive was a rerun.  Nevertheless.  It was a mature couple who had met via computer match.  They were moving to France, near the seashore; can't remember the name of the town. 

Does anyone know what he did for a living?  He seemed to have to travel a lot; and was she going to retire or was she working also? It looked like she had to make most of the renovation decisions long-distance from...maybe Maine?  And they made friends with their real estate agent and her husband; who, from what I could gather, was also a contractor.  I loved seeing the older homes and liked what they did with the one they bought and re-did.

I would like to see them on a "where are they now" episode if the one this morning was filmed more than a year or so ago.  She was cheery and enthusiastic..he was serious but she brought out a bit of lightness in him.  Maybe she was forcing the cheer for the cameras but who knows.  Anyway, enjoyed the episode.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

NJ to Antwerp - I had to wonder what they saw in each other.   I could give her a pass because she may have looked different before she became a harried mom of 2 but was it his (less than) stellar personality that attracted her?  Some of his commentary about the houses were eye-roll worthy.   "Do they charge extra for the squeak?"

Ugly people deserve love to.

• Love 7
(edited)
8 hours ago, sempervivum said:

NJ to Antwerp- I couldn't understand why the builders hadn't just made that corridor (with the 3 doors) into a big bathroom, it looked like there would have been plenty of space.  I agree this was probably a student or rooming house solution ( a lousy one).

When this episode started, I couldn't stand the husband, but he was OK by the end. I sympathize with his lack of enthusiasm for the long commute and the need to search for a parking spot every night.  I was also impressed that the obligatory party scene at the end included people who weren't expats or real estate agents.

He said that he usually finds a nearby spot at night, but I'm sure by now there's been times when that wasn't the case... and then those 65 steps.

I did sympathize with the wife about not wanting to be in the suburbs without a car. However, she was another one who insisted on "charm," and she tried to use that against the suburban house (nice grassy backyard — and that wraparound bench circling the tree!) even though the other two city center places each had a few modern touches.

Edited by nanometer
Typo

NJ to Antwerp, Belgium couple.... was it only me who let out a chuckle that this couple from Flemington, NJ moved to the Flemish speaking part of

Belgium?  Just struck me as funny.

I do agree that the apartment in the city center was the best choice for them. I may have missed where the husband said how far his commute would be if he lived in the city proper versus the suburbs.  Without a 2nd car the suburbs would not be a great choice so I can understand wanting to be right in the action. It's too bad, though, b/c that country house was lovely and I am sure the kids would have loved that large yard to run around in.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, wovenloaf said:

That's how the student housing when I studied abroad in Wales in college was. One person rooms, each with their own sink.  Then a separate toilet room in the hall (and yes the lack of sink in the toilet room grossed me out....how could that door handle not have been a biohazard...), and another separate room in the hall that had the shower and a bathtub.  There were no sinks in the "communal" areas.  They weren't old buildings, that's just how they were laid out.  I guess maybe if that Antwerp place had been geared towards students and/or multiple roommates at some point, that may be why it's laid out that way. 

The realtor said it was in the university district. BTW, thanks for confirming my suspicion that it was probably formerly student housing.

• Love 1

I watched one today where a couple with three young children moved to Taipei (he was born there, her parents were from there) from California. When they moved there he didn’t have a job lined up. What? Isn’t that what you do when you are single or married without children? At the end of the episode, hubby was “freelance consulting.” ?

• Love 2

Isn't this the Berlin art gallery decoy?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3188899

Looks like AirBnb includes a few Berlin gallery options, including an apt for $65 / night but it requires the tenant vacate by 11:30 a.m. to allow the gallery staff to open ... Ugh!

At least this landlord doesn't rent if/when gallery events are scheduled!

(Sorry to post belatedly.)

• Love 2