Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/16/2023 at 4:02 PM, chessiegal said:

They can.

catflush.jpg.ef2fe530a948b9b695abd439a51200f9.jpg

Mine would probably run my water bill up sky high if I let them use the toilet. 😉

On 3/16/2023 at 3:33 PM, debbie311 said:

I'm sorry, I found that disgusting. Maybe she is ok with using the same toilet seat as a cat

Idk, is it really worse than sharing a toilet with men?

On 3/16/2023 at 11:03 PM, Grizzly said:

Why such a small budget? Didn't they sell her 5 bedroom monstrosity in Miami? If he would spend more to buy, why not just buy?

He wanted to save money to eventually buy a place.  Most likely in Paris.

On 3/17/2023 at 1:32 PM, ECM1231 said:

Do Parisians think Paris is the center of the universe?

Yep, generally.  Paris is quite nice, but I'd prefer one of the smaller French cities myself.  Wouldn't turn down the opportunity to live in Paris, though.

On 3/18/2023 at 6:37 AM, debraran said:

although Paris is hyped up, it's very expensive and touristy. There is much more to France than Paris.....but don't tell everyone. ; )

Yep, keep Carcasonne a secret. (That's where I'd want to live.)

On 3/18/2023 at 10:15 AM, Grrarrggh said:

I've often wondered if instead of drafting people into the military or a service corps, the government should instead move city/country people to places the opposite of where they live for 2-5 years? Walk a mile, and all that.

That's not a bad idea, depending on where.

On 3/19/2023 at 12:41 PM, Rickster said:

Interesting article about the wave of Americans moving to Europe, especially Portugal, Spain and Greece, for lower cost housing (not sure if this is paywalled)

The Good Life On The Cheap 

I'd move to Greece in a second if I could afford it.  The south of Crete was wonderful.

• Like 4

We've been to France twice, spent time exploring Normandy (I wanted to see Omaha Beach - my dad landed there D-Day plus 20), and Provence. We spent several days in Paris both times. Paris is so beautiful, just the architecture alone. The first day we were in Paris we had arranged for a skip the line tour of the Eiffel Tower. We decided to walk rather than take the Metro, and I'm so glad we did. Just looking at all the beauty along the way was worth it. I'd go back again in a heartbeat.

This was the view from our hotel room.

parisfeet(1).jpg.5adbfac5888585b49d045ced5abb6a95.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 1

California to Mexico City.

Young couple, the guy just out of college and the woman some kind of a counselor.  Forget whether they were married or were going to marry.

He has a mechanical engineering degree but gets a lucrative management consultant job in Mexico City.  But he's worried that he might not last in the job and then wouldn't have a fallback option as easily as back in CA.  So he wants to stick to the $2500 budget.

She wants to be in a neighborhood with a lot of expats, which happens to be "posh" with more expensive dining options.  She's making a greater sacrifice she says since she already had a job back in CA so she wants to be comfortable.

They want at least 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, so they could each have an office in addition to the bedroom.  She wants "homey" and he wants modern.

First apt is in Polanco, under budget, has hardwood floors but the Kitchen and some of the other spaces are small for them.  He says the neighborhood is posh, not really them.

Second apt. is in Condessa, over budget, very modern with concrete walls and floors.  Way more spacious than the first one.  Too modern for her.

Third apt. is also in Condessa but is furnished -- they wanted unfurnished -- and has only two bedrooms and the rooms are too small for their liking.  It is on budget but they eliminate this one right away.

Guy pushes for #2 and she initially talks up #1.  There's a $400/month rent difference but he says that kitchen is too small and they'd have to buy a fridge.

So they choose #2 and 3 months later, she finds a way to do her counseling practice and he's enjoying his job.

#2 is industrial and dark walls and floors but there are large windows and although they don't show it much, they've furnished it so it looks less industrial and impersonal.

It's a lot of space though for two people.  Wonder if they hire housekeeping, probably do, sounds like they're both making good money and neither seem like they'd be interested in doing a lot of work around the home.  In fact probably dine out or take out as many people in their twenties tend to do.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, aghst said:

In fact probably dine out or take out as many people in their twenties tend to do.

She sure made a BFD out of having a large kitchen for someone who isn't going to use it. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

We've been to France twice, spent time exploring Normandy (I wanted to see Omaha Beach - my dad landed there D-Day plus 20), and Provence. We spent several days in Paris both times. Paris is so beautiful, just the architecture alone. The first day we were in Paris we had arranged for a skip the line tour of the Eiffel Tower. We decided to walk rather than take the Metro, and I'm so glad we did. Just looking at all the beauty along the way was worth it. I'd go back again in a heartbeat.

This was the view from our hotel room.

parisfeet(1).jpg.5adbfac5888585b49d045ced5abb6a95.jpg

Haven't we seen those feet before? 😄

I really didn't like how the husband kept saying that Polanco wasn't "them" when the wife specifically stated that she wanted to live there.  So, it may not be "him" but it definitely seemed like it was "her" but he "spoke" for both of them stating that Polanco wasn't "them."

• Like 3
23 hours ago, aghst said:

California to Mexico City.

Young couple, the guy just out of college and the woman some kind of a counselor.  Forget whether they were married or were going to marry.

They were married.  In fact, they'd gotten married twice.  The first one and then another in Puerto Rico, I think.

I thought he was super cute until about halfway into the episode there was a camera angle that wasn't flattering and after that I couldn't regain the super cute.

Also, I forgot to mention in the Gothenburg, Sweden, episode, the HH was looking at a bay window or similar and said it would be a great place for her cat to relax. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

the HH was looking at a bay window or similar and said it would be a great place for her cat to relax. 

My cats have all loved bay windows.  I don't sit in mine; I like the look of them from outside and inside, but I don't use them, only the cats do.

• Like 7
6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Also, I forgot to mention in the Gothenburg, Sweden, episode, the HH was looking at a bay window or similar and said it would be a great place for her cat to relax. 

It ain't easy being a cat, what with all that licking and sleeping and keeping your staff in line.

• Like 1
  • LOL 15

Philly to Stockholm, an unmarried couple, he is Swedish, she’s American.  Swedish guy’s visa ran out and she decided to follow him back to Stockholm, giving up a job in finance, as well as leaving behind friends and family.  She’s never been to Europe or maybe never traveled outside the US but claims to want to live in another country.

They met at the start of the pandemic — I thought it was hard to date in those early months — but they have a cat together, showing how serious their relationship is.  Apparently foreigners in a serious relationship with a Swedish citizen can get a residency visa easily and quickly in Sweden.

They have to buy an apt instead of renting because there’s like a 7 year queue to get an apt rental — or was it 7 months?  Neither supposedly have jobs but they have $250k, which might get them a studio in the city center.

She wants a 1 bedroom while he doesn’t want to be on the ground floor because passerby’s can look inside — or so he says, maybe it’s part of this episode’s script.

House 1 is close to the center, 1 bed apt on the second floor with good space, washer and dryer which she wanted.  But it’s $300k and though she said she’d pay more, she doesn’t like the gray/white walls or decor.  She never heard of painting or accent wall coverings?

House 2 is in the suburbs, about 20 minutes by public transportation from the center.  It’s a 1 bed and under budget at $230k.  But it’s on the ground floor and while they’re looking at the bedroom, some guy passes by outside the window, looks in and waves, smiling.  I think it’s a production crew member pretending to be a stranger.  Who waves at strangers in their home?

House 3 is a studio apt right in the center, on third floor, right on budget at $250k.  It’s their favorite location but she can’t get over the studio.  The bed is right by the couch.

They eliminate #1, probably because of price — he said they had enough money for 4-5 months though they’re probably getting help from parents for the apt and probably staying with his family?

They choose #2 and he says they can shop for curtains.

Three months later:  he found a job in sales right away, she’s taking Swedish — may take a long time before she’s proficient enough to get a job where Swedish language skills are required — though most Swedes seem to speak English well, without a hint of an accent.

The city center they refer to is Soderalm, a small island with the Royal Palace, govt buildings, expensive hotels and restaurants.  No doubt it’s a draw to young people but also a big tourist draw.  Centrally located but do people necessarily want to live there? Maybe if they worked in one of those govt buildings or wanted to be in the middle of the nightlife.  People commute for work and for nights out all over the world and this shouldn’t be different here.

So this insistence on beIng in the city center is a HHI thing.  There are certainly people who always want to be in the hustle and bustle and maybe some want to be close to work or school.  But otherwise a lot of people are priced out of these dense areas which tend to have smaller dwellings despite higher prices.

• Like 9
On 3/19/2023 at 12:41 PM, Rickster said:

Interesting article about the wave of Americans moving to Europe, especially Portugal, Spain and Greece, for lower cost housing (not sure if this is paywalled)

The Good Life On The Cheap 

Ugh, paywall.  We are considering this and I would have loved to read the article  *shaking my fist at the NYT* 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

Here you go, no paywall.

Very interesting.

I can see the resentment from locals.  They make a fraction of the income of Americans, but they can't afford a place of their own in these desirable places like central Lisbon.

As one of the researchers quoted pointed out, it's the investment companies like American investment banks buying up homes to rent and driving up rents, leading to housing shortages and higher prices for local residents.

As opposed to a given American buyer who tend to buy more expensive homes.

But there is always going to be a certain amount of resentment to deep-pocketed foreigners coming in and buying places they can't afford and all they know is there are more Americans all of a sudden and it's American investors buying property which are never occupied by the buyer but rather rented out, including as Airbnbs.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, aghst said:

They have to buy an apt instead of renting because there’s like a 7 year queue to get an apt rental — or was it 7 months?

It was seven years.  That's to get a "first hand" contract, which is rent controlled and you can keep it for life.  You can also sublet, or you can rent from private landlords.  But those are more expensive and even those are limited in length.  But at least it explains why everybody's not homeless for seven years, which was my initial thought.

This is where I got my information:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20160517-this-is-one-city-where-youll-never-find-a-home

7 hours ago, aghst said:

though most Swedes seem to speak English well, without a hint of an accent.

Boy, I don't know.  Just yesterday I met a Swedish man who's been in the U.S. for decades and he sounded like the Swedish Chef.

And get this:  My nephew was an exchange student a few years ago and chose Sweden.  Why Sweden?  Because the guy who invented Minecraft is Swedish.  Kids.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, AnnMarie17 said:

Ugh, paywall.  We are considering this and I would have loved to read the article  *shaking my fist at the NYT* 

This is NYT

“What is cheap for these Americans is brutally expensive for southern Europeans, whose average wages are substantially lowerthan Americans’. Locals are competing for housing against wealthy foreigners in markets already distorted by Airbnbs and corporate real estate investment. The result is a generation failing to launch, with more than 90 percent of southern Europeans under 35 still living at home, rates that eclipse their American counterparts. Those who have apartments face evictions and unpredictable rent increases in cities with weak rental protections, like Lisbon, Barcelona and Athens.”

This is ME

The Portuguese and  Greek people resent the foreigners coming in with their tax breaks buying up the best properties that they couldn’t afford in America.  It’s people with upper middle class incomes who want to live a wealthier lifestyle. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
12 hours ago, Bluesky said:

This is NYT

“What is cheap for these Americans is brutally expensive for southern Europeans, whose average wages are substantially lowerthan Americans’. Locals are competing for housing against wealthy foreigners in markets already distorted by Airbnbs and corporate real estate investment. The result is a generation failing to launch, with more than 90 percent of southern Europeans under 35 still living at home, rates that eclipse their American counterparts. Those who have apartments face evictions and unpredictable rent increases in cities with weak rental protections, like Lisbon, Barcelona and Athens.”

This is ME

The Portuguese and  Greek people resent the foreigners coming in with their tax breaks buying up the best properties that they couldn’t afford in America.  It’s people with upper middle class incomes who want to live a wealthier lifestyle. 

Great Americans. Don't fix your own broken country, move somewhere else and ruin it for those citizen. Lovely. I bet some of these American buyers complained at the Chinese rich buying up tonnes of property and raising prices at some point. 

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

Great Americans. Don't fix your own broken country, move somewhere else and ruin it for those citizen. Lovely. I bet some of these American buyers complained at the Chinese rich buying up tonnes of property and raising prices at some point. 

Or the Japanese in the '80s and early '90s.

Or Chinese investors bidding up properties in Manhattan and Canada and often leaving them empty.

All we can do is take care of ourselves and our families first and then vote for politicians who support certain policies.

We see areas of old cities being renovated all over the world, which often leads to poorer residents being priced out of many areas and those areas being revitalized with renovated apartments and shops and restaurants coming in.

We can decry it but how can you blame some of the people described in the NYT article, who found much better value and lifestyles that they otherwise couldn't afford in the US?

They're mainly trying to do best for their family and themselves, not deliberately trying to displace anyone else.

What they can do though is continue to vote and vote for policies like more affordable housing in the US, more dense housing.  Here in the Bay Area, some affluent communities are complaining about proposals to build high-rise affordable buildings near this expensive real estate.  

For instance, NBA superstar Stephen Curry lives with his family in Atherton, one of the richest zip codes in the US if not the richest.  The Currys submitted a letter expressing opposition to a high-rise building near their home, which they worry could allow people to look into their back yard.  They have young children.

Atherton has resisted building higher-density, more affordable housing near or within its borders for years.  They're not alone, even bigger cities like SF has blocked efforts to build more high-density housing, resulting in spiraling housing prices, one of the most expensive in the US.

So NIBMYism but just the fact that people with money will always be favored over people without.  

There's greater hostility to people without money vs. people with a lot of money in the US.  Maybe to a lesser extent in Europe but you see poorer residents -- not poor, many are considered middle class -- being displaced by richer ones all the time, all over the continent.  And yes, often those richer ones buying in are Americans and other foreigners.

At least the locals can vote and have a say in things like housing policies, while rich foreigners don't have that right.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, aghst said:

At least the locals can vote and have a say in things like housing policies, while rich foreigners don't have that right.

Rich foreigners actually have more power, imo, than poor or middle-class locals. The rich have lobbyists. 

Edited by Grrarrggh
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, aghst said:

We can decry it but how can you blame some of the people described in the NYT article, who found much better value and lifestyles that they otherwise couldn't afford in the US?

I certainly don't blame the American ex-pats who move abroad for a cheaper cost of living. I have an acquaintance in her early 70s. She is a well-educated career woman who was married for close to 50 years. No children. Currently going through a messy, and protracted divorce. She was blindsided by her husband. With no family or children to help, she's going to be forced to sell the family home and move. She won't be getting anything from her husband in the settlement. She's looking into Portugal as an option. She wants warm weather but doesn't want to move south to a red state. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Great Americans. Don't fix your own broken country, move somewhere else and ruin it for those citizen.

The people moving abroad often aren't people suffering in a "broken" America.  They often have decent incomes and can afford housing here--in fact, many move from high-cost-of-living areas in the US to lower-cost-of-living areas in the US to purchase a bigger house. It's not just European workers being displaced.

So even though they get all cutesy with their jobs on these shows, their move is not because they can't afford to live in the US.  Almost every country requires people to be students or have a certain income level.  They either have that money banked or they're privileged to be able to work remotely.  They just want to live somewhere cool and turn it into a money-making opportunity the minute they return home.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Stockholm, Sweden. I did not know that Stockholm was a bunch of islands. I need to get out more. Or watch more HHI. Anessa doesn't seem to like anything about Sweden. #1 seemed fairly spacious for city center. I've never seen a realtor as frustrated as Malin was about the guy who walked by at #2. For people who've never lived together, a studio could be too small. But they can entertain their friends at the bars. I adore Wolfie.

• Like 3

Breda, Netherlands. Aussies moving to the Netherlands. I thought #1 was a good option. That was a great color in the main bedroom. Floor looks good in green. #2 was quite cozy. Great outdoor space but how many months is that usable?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Stockholm, Sweden. I did not know that Stockholm was a bunch of islands. I need to get out more. Or watch more HHI. Anessa doesn't seem to like anything about Sweden. #1 seemed fairly spacious for city center. I've never seen a realtor as frustrated as Malin was about the guy who walked by at #2. 

Calling total shenanigans on guy walking by- but I laughed. If I saw a camera person filming, I might wave- but that area was a parking lot, not a walking trail. They won't have much foot traffic.

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Breda, Netherlands. Aussies moving to the Netherlands. I thought #1 was a good option. That was a great color in the main bedroom. Floor looks good in green. #2 was quite cozy. Great outdoor space but how many months is that usable?

Yeah was thinking the same thing, The Netherlands isn’t known for a lot of sunny days.

Seems like budget overrode other factors, as they immediately eliminated the only over budget option.

Didn’t catch why they were moving to Breda.  Must be a big job opportunity.  But most Aussies would go to the UK, though the Dutch speak English very well.

• Like 4
On 3/22/2023 at 4:58 PM, javajeanelaine said:

I found the Stockholm woman unpleasant and she certainly didn’t seem like she even liked her partner.

yeah, i'm curious to know how long this couple stays together.  she was a pill and annoying.

• Like 6
19 minutes ago, aghst said:

Didn’t catch why they were moving to Breda.  Must be a big job opportunity.  But most Aussies would go to the UK, though the Dutch speak English very well.

The female was of Dutch heritage and had gone to the Netherlands before, met some (I assume) distant relatives, and fell in love with the country. She knew that one day she would want to live abroad.

I was concerned about her partner. He honestly didn't seem happy about the move. He left behind a good job and a HOUSE in Melbourne. Idk if I would have wanted to downsize to a small studio, either.  

Also, as has been mentioned, the yard won't be getting a ton of use, year-round, due to the Netherlands climate.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I certainly don't blame the American ex-pats who move abroad for a cheaper cost of living.

When I consider individuals moving overseas, it's one thing. When I consider Americans (or anyone else) flooding an area and getting prices jacked up so that the local people can't afford places, I'm uncomfortable.

21 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I bet some of these American buyers complained at the Chinese rich buying up tonnes of property and raising prices at some point. 

Hell, in the US, we complain about Californians, and they're our countrymen!

Australia to the Netherlands

I'd love to know how long these new couples last, especially in foreign lands.

• Like 3
On 3/23/2023 at 12:24 AM, Bluesky said:

Which is perfectly understandable.  If ever I was able to move to Crete, however, it wouldn't be because I had an upper middle-class income and was trying to live like I was rich.  It'd be because I loved the south of Crete when I was there and would want to retire to someplace where I could live in the sun, eat Greek food and be near the beach.  Without needing to go to work, obviously.  Just a pipe dream, really.

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Ha!  I was just about to say, "Look what the Californians did to Austin."

Don't get us Floridians started...

Edited by ML89
  • Like 4
  • LOL 5

Chiang Mai, Thailand. They are certainly made for each other. Maybe I envy their joie de vive. Very impressed that they tried durian and Stephanie actually liked it. Hope they continue to have adventures and enjoy each other.

• Like 6
13 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Chiang Mai, Thailand. They are certainly made for each other. Maybe I envy their joie de vive. Very impressed that they tried durian and Stephanie actually liked it. Hope they continue to have adventures and enjoy each other.

They certainly were enthusiastic.

She says she wanted to live in Thailand since visiting when she was younger but the plan seems to be to launch their podcast, hope that it hits.

Lower prices on housing and cost of living probably helps a lot.

But online advertising has declined a lot already and may decline more if recession hits.

This episode may have been recorded a year ago or more.

Remains to be seen if their enthusiasm will lead to success with podcast.  What could they offer potential listeners, besides their bubbly personas? Certainly not insights from a lot of lived experiences.

Good that they stayed on budget.  He's going to have to find a gym or something, while she gave up being near cafes and other things to do.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, aghst said:

Certainly not insights from a lot of lived experiences.

I'm sure after a whole year together, they're qualified to give relationship advice, y'know, what's worked for them over the weeks.

• LOL 6
16 hours ago, mojito said:

I'm sure after a whole year together, they're qualified to give relationship advice, y'know, what's worked for them over the weeks.

but she's damned cute and so is he, right?  goodness, they were so cheery and perky and happy and lovey........ugh, i think i am having a sugar high

• LOL 7

Maine to Mayenne, France:  two empty nesters wanting to live in a French farmhouse, now with all the kids out of the home or almost all out.

But he gets a job opportunity back in Maine so he wants a last big payday — presumably — while she doesn’t want to wait so they will buy now and he can join her when his work is done.

She said when they met, it was like a moment out of a Hallmark movie.  Is that a good thing?

They go to a small village of Mayenne, west of Paris, over 3 hours by car, seems to be pretty much nowhere, maybe closest landmark is Mont St. Michel, about 90 minutes to the NW.

Their budget is low, $150k and she wanted 2 or 3 bedrooms at least 2 bathrooms.

House one is only $100k but wife says flatly she doesn’t want to live there.

House two is $130k, only 2 beds, 1 bath.  Rooms are big and it’s possible to build a bathroom upstairs.

House three is $160k, is immaculate, plenty of character with exposed beams and a beautiful stone facade.  Neither of them mentioned character.

They’re wowed but they choose house two for the money, could use improvement but is move-in ready.

She must really have wanted to get out of Maine.  She seemed like a Francophile but not to the same extent as some of the other house hunters who’ve been in HHI episodes in France, like one who practically orgasmed over a croissant or macaroon or something.

3 months later segment they put up a wooden sign, “Secret Garden in France.”

Edited by aghst
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, aghst said:

like one who practically orgasmed over a croissant or macaroon or something.

Macaron - one o. A macaroon contains coconut, which I hate, and therefore are inedible. Macarons are heaven on earth. I bought one in every place we visited in France.

• Like 4
On 3/25/2023 at 10:55 AM, mojito said:

I truly don't understand how unknown people can make a living as a podcaster.

Maybe if you are super lucky to hit on a topic you become a bit viral.

But who in the world would want to waste a nano-second listening to these people? What do they have to offer anyone in terms of wit or wisdom?

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

Maine to France

Nice to see a HH who doesn't want to be in the city center, in a walkable area, close to bars and shops. The homes were interesting; I would've chosen the one they did. Interesting arrangement this couple has come up with. It's nice that they're following different paths for awhile.  I liked what she said about how the kids aren't going to be raised in the house and that it's not often that they'll all be visiting at once, so a third or fourth bedroom was not a necessity. 

I liked the agent's excitement at finding a large mushroom. ("Anyway, sorry. I'm Stella.")

I worry, though, where the wife is going to craft or set up her vlogging studio or install her gym. 😏

• Like 2
12 hours ago, mojito said:

Maine to France

Nice to see a HH who doesn't want to be in the city center, in a walkable area, close to bars and shops. The homes were interesting; I would've chosen the one they did. Interesting arrangement this couple has come up with. It's nice that they're following different paths for awhile.  I liked what she said about how the kids aren't going to be raised in the house and that it's not often that they'll all be visiting at once, so a third or fourth bedroom was not a necessity. 

I liked the agent's excitement at finding a large mushroom. ("Anyway, sorry. I'm Stella.")

I worry, though, where the wife is going to craft or set up her vlogging studio or install her gym. 😏

all i could think is that this is a strange way to get your wife far out of the way so you can do your own thing

• LOL 6

Just watched the Netherlands episode and found it...interesting.  It seemed like the male did not really want to move from Melbourne, but the female wanted to move to the Netherlands (plus he had a house in Melbourne).  She also drove the decisions about where to live.  I wonder how their finances work out as she's a personal trainer and I'm unsure what he does but he did get a job.  I would have spent the extra for the renovated flat-their excuses about not knowing what it would look like after the renovations fell flat (yes, I did that on purpose).  I wish there were follow ups to these episodes-especially as to whether or not the house hunters were still together...

• Like 5

Yeah I wonder why they don't do more Where are they now episodes or even HHI Renovations.

Maybe they don't get too many house hunters interested in re-appearing on the show.

You'd think the logistics would be simpler, they already have house hunters who've been recruited and vetted for the show.

But maybe they feel it's easier to stick to the formula, which is getting house hunters to want different things, artificially, so there's some dramatic tension or suspense about which way they way go at the end of each episode.

• Like 2

Maine to Amsterdam.  Melissa seems very pleasant. But how is she going to be a match maker when she doesn't know anyone in Amsterdam? That cute little car that can drive in the bicycle lane. So easy to park but you're dead if you're in an accident. Interesting home choices. She did not get/want any of the Amsterdam charm that we usually see. I would have picked that one too.

• Like 2

Maine to Amsterdam. I liked Roz. Liked her style, humor, support, and wonder if the pay structure is similar to a realtor, plus additional for whatever else a relocation specialist can provide. She seemed super competent and low drama. Loved her car, although I’d feel like I was in an enclosed scooter rather than a car. But with so much bike traffic, and far fewer SUVs, it’d probably feel ok. Loved her parking!

Melissa, otoh, uh, what? What were they leaving out? New service business—no network. Heavy stress on I’M SINGLE but in five years, I’ll be married and running a successful business (the matchmaking one?). Are those the outfits for apartment hunting? Oh, sure, if this is really about the exposure. $5 says that client was a friend of Roz.

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Maine to Amsterdam.  Melissa seems very pleasant. But how is she going to be a match maker when she doesn't know anyone in Amsterdam? That cute little car that can drive in the bicycle lane. So easy to park but you're dead if you're in an accident. Interesting home choices. She did not get/want any of the Amsterdam charm that we usually see. I would have picked that one too.

3 hours ago, buttersister said:

Maine to Amsterdam. I liked Roz. Liked her style, humor, support, and wonder if the pay structure is similar to a realtor, plus additional for whatever else a relocation specialist can provide. She seemed super competent and low drama. Loved her car, although I’d feel like I was in an enclosed scooter rather than a car. But with so much bike traffic, and far fewer SUVs, it’d probably feel ok. Loved her parking!

Melissa, otoh, uh, what? What were they leaving out? New service business—no network. Heavy stress on I’M SINGLE but in five years, I’ll be married and running a successful business (the matchmaking one?). Are those the outfits for apartment hunting? Oh, sure, if this is really about the exposure. $5 says that client was a friend of Roz.

Where was Floor?

Melissa said she’d been a few times before.  I missed whether she speaks Dutch or what she did in Maine.

But she must have some kind of work visa, which isn’t something you can just get.  Maybe she has Dutch ancestry so they granted her citizenship.

The micro cars are cool.  Maybe theres more of a danger of them tipping over than collisions.  Or maybe the bicyclists resent these things intruding into their domain.

Maybe she bought a client list.  The Dutch all speak English but would they hire an American who didn’t speak Dutch?

As for the homes it seems budget was the main thing.  But great to get all that space and modern finishes for the lowest price.

I believe those IJ ferries are free too or They used to be when I last visited, around 10 years ago.  But she might need to rent office space.  She could meet people at cafes but would need some privacy to talk to clients about personal info.

• Like 3