Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Vancouver to Perth.

The cousin brought out the Mean Girl in me: was she desperate for a friend, and if she has friends, will the swimmer steal them all away from her?

That third home and the surrounding homes looked they  came off some sort of futuristic movie set for a script that called for a sterile-looking non-descript neighborhood. The homes were nice enough, but without large trees and second story homes (they all looked fairly flat), the place looked so bland and strange to these American eyes. My mind flashed to "The Stepford Wives" and "The Truman Show". Not to say, however, that they wouldn't appeal to me.

This episode felt more fake than usual to me. I'm skeptical of  the Olympic story. Really, a team set three years in advance? People get injured, new athletes surface, performances weaken, etc. She emphasized proximity to the pool but only looked at one apartment in the vicinity (according to the story, of course). What jobless person would rent a large house 45 minutes from the pool that was supposedly the center of her life for the next few years?

• Love 6
15 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

She was a grade A bitch. I thought house 3 was better, not only the amenities, but the views. It seemed like there was a good view from both the patio and the rootop.

I doubt very much "his" room, with its sad lone piece of exercise equipment remained "his" for very long. Besides, he didn't want an exercise room, he wanted a garage to tinker, presumably with engines and such.

Hopefully, the husband finds some beautiful Mexican woman with thick luxurious hair and dumps the harridan.

Ugh, Cabo lady was so rude to her husband, the poor guy.  Hopefully that was all an act for the show!  If he spoke up about anything, she gave him a smackdown like "it's all about YOU, isn't it!?" when the entire time, it was all about HER!  

• Love 9

Holy shit! Five minutes in, and I couldn't stand the Aussie cousin. The realtor tried to steer the swimmer, but the cousin was relentless in her neediness. What an emotional vampire. 

And don't Olympic athletes train all the time? How is it she has freedom to go out drinking and clubbing with her vampire cousin?

• Love 6
On 6/10/2017 at 11:37 AM, mojito said:

This episode felt more fake than usual to me. I'm skeptical of  the Olympic story. Really, a team set three years in advance? People get injured, new athletes surface, performances weaken, etc. She emphasized proximity to the pool but only looked at one apartment in the vicinity (according to the story, of course).

If you look at some results for the Australian national team, you'll see that she was competing with them as early as 2014, so the three year time frame fits with her history, even if it's highly implausible that she'd be a lock three years out. She was on the team competing at Worlds for the right to compete in Rio although she doesn't seem to have made the Rio team. Maybe she got fed up with the cousin and fled back to Canada to try for a shot there but ended up back in Australia when that didn't work out.

• Love 1
(edited)

Nothing in that show felt right, some fake is always there, but this didn't flow. Way too much hype with the cousin, almost came off as "stalking", the cousin you don't want around, and too much emphasis on roommates (they wouldn't want that other place because of bedroom size ?) Maybe it's growing up with money, she seemed to come from some the way she was talking. I wish her well, but a serious athlete that wanted to drive 30 minutes to workout to be nearer to her cousin? 

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4
On 6/11/2017 at 10:31 PM, KAOS Agent said:

If you look at some results for the Australian national team, you'll see that she was competing with them as early as 2014, so the three year time frame fits with her history, even if it's highly implausible that she'd be a lock three years out. She was on the team competing at Worlds for the right to compete in Rio although she doesn't seem to have made the Rio team. Maybe she got fed up with the cousin and fled back to Canada to try for a shot there but ended up back in Australia when that didn't work out.

After I wrote this, I thought about how teams form and compete throughout the world. Just because you're on the team now, doesn't mean you'll make it to the Olympics. The story still smells, though.

• Love 1

About the parents on sabbatical teaching in S. Africa with the 2 daughters, yes, I wondered what happened with that loft / attic bedroom, too.  It actually was the younger daughter reading in that nook.  (Confusing, lol!) 

They did have multiple beds in the loft but perhaps they were for sleepovers.  The other b/r was set up as a girls' room.  So, I'm thinking the daughters did have separate bedrooms.

Anybody else notice that she hadn't at least covered that ghastly furniture in the l/r?  Or, if you don't even want to invest $50 (or whatever), at least throw some white sheets on it!  Guess everyone has their own taste / priorities.

The wife in Cape Town annoyed me with her constant complaining about her "long" commute to work if they moved near the beach. 25 mins is not long, IMO. I thought house 2 was perfect! It was bigger inside, had a good sized backyard with a pool, a garage and was five mins to the beach, etc. Those kids would never be bored! But the wife didn't want to spend the 50 mins commuting a day. So I guess the husband and kids get to so she can live in the little house in the city. 

• Love 5

The Cape Town wife came across as both bossy and bitchy...did not care for her at all.  I would have chosen the place near the beach.  More spacious, more fun time for the kids, plus the garage and a 25 minute commute isn't much, especially as she was blathering earlier that she often works from home.  If she works from home, she doesn't have to commute every day.  Yeah, I 'wasn't a fan' of her. lol

• Love 4

I thought the wife last night was fine.  Both were fine. In fact, except in some special cases, I usually think the house hunters are fine.

4 hours ago, juliet73 said:

25 mins is not long, IMO.

It depends on what time of day that 25 minutes was for.  I live in one of the most Western suburbs of a city and I can get to the most Eastern suburb in 25 minutes if it's well outside of rush hour.  But during rush hour?  It can take up to an hour. And while I will go to that most Eastern suburb to get my hair done, there are a lot of people that won't even without traffic.  So if she does plan to have clients come to her house, as she mentioned, there is some benefit to being closer to town.

The wife in Cape Town was bossy and emasculating, but god, shut the fuck up about the beach, dude. You sound like a whiny bitch. Maybe you would have gotten the second house if you didn't keep throwing it in your wife's face that you'd be at the beach all day all the time. 

I still maintain the person with the commute has the final say about how much time they want to spending getting to and from work. 

I was surprised at how nonchalant they were about the unfenced pool, especially whiny husband's comments that he wouldn't have to pay much attention to them while they played in the yard. The pool took up most of the yard.

• Love 4
(edited)

What is it with young mothers today who have to SEE their their kids every minute of the day?  The Singapore mother just wanted to have an open kitchen so she could see her boys when cooking.  When we were kids, we were outside playing all day in the spring and summer without mom having to stare at us the whole time.  And when we were inside, we lives in a craftsman house, with all the rooms compartmentalized.  We weren't any the worse for wear if mom didn't see us constantly.  

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

What is it with young mothers today who have to SEE their their kids every minute of the day?  The Singapore mother just wanted to have an open kitchen so she could see her boys when cooking.  When we were kids, we outside playing all day in the spring and summer without mom having to stare at us the whole time.  And when we were inside, we lives in a craftsman house, with all the rooms compartmentalized.  We weren't any the worse for wear if mom didn't see us constantly.  

And the ER nurses didn't call CPS when we broke our arm or needed stitches after trying to jump our bike on a homemade ramp. Bumps, scrapes, broken bones, and stitches were considered part of childhood when I grew up. These days parents are expected to keep their children "safe" and the only way to do that is to know exactly what they're doing 24/7.

• Love 8

Helicopter parenting.  It's a wonder those of us born more than half a century ago lived to tell about it.  Not only did we disappear for hours at a time playing all over the neighborhood, we didn't have seat belts and our parents all smoked.  Truly a miracle.

Saw a rerun of a couple buying in Rio de Janeiro.  They had about a $250,000 budget but the one kept arguing about how much he wanted a downtown apartment that was upwards of $400,000.  Seriously?  The whole thing was ludicrous.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

It's a wonder those of us born more than half a century ago lived to tell about it.  

A lot of kids didn't live to tell about it.  Or if they lived through their childhood they developed long term health issues thanks to stuff like parents who smoked.

There's a happy medium here folks, the old days weren't so great and helicopter parenting isn't much better!

• Love 5

Show of hands:

How many of you never knew any kids who died when you were children?

I didn't, despite being out of Mommy's view for all but maybe 10-14 hours a day (forget about Daddy; he was always at work). I don't even know anyone who broke more than one limb at a time. And I'm a Baby Boomer, so I had more peers during my childhood than people born after 1964. When did home become so dangerous?

• Love 7

Nope, we were fatality free.  Of course we were all in pretty good shape physically because we were always running around ( no TV to speak of) and everybody had umpteen kids that all hung out together so nobody got away with anything, and nobody drank any poison or jumped of balconies because we had enough brains not to.  Plus the "Mom Arm Seat Belt" which was more likely garrote you than save your life but was still effective.

• Love 8

But things did happen .  A distant  relative was paralyzed  because   she was riding  in the back of a pickup  truck on the beach ,  bounced out and broke  her neck. I on the other hand ran the woods  with my  cousins ,  camped  out in the back pasture with the cows  and knew what snakes  were poisonous  and which were not and was  never hurt.I would  not chance that part  of my childhood  for anything . Other parts now , they are up for  grabs.

• Love 3
(edited)

I had a 5 yr old cousin drown in a neighbour's  unfenced pool, and a brother seriously injured in a car accident in those halcyon pre-seatbelt days.  On the other hand I don't think anyone I knew of died because their mother was in the kitchen and couldn't actually see as as they sat and watched TV in the living room!  Like I said, there's a happy medium and the parents on HHs sure haven't found it.  I fearlessly predict though that these parents who can't bear to have walls between them and their young kids are going to change their minds when those kids hit their teens.  Or those teens will be spending a lot of time in their rooms.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 6
(edited)

I grew up in the 60's and most of us played outside all day, BUT in many ways we were supervised but quietly. So many parents were home then, eyes were all over the place, sure if we were in some yards or fields, it was harder, but I learned many years later, not much was done without an occasional eye out the window.  That's why some kids heard, "I don't like that "fill in the blank" kid without much explanation.

We had falls,bruises and bouts of poison ivy and many insect bites,but I was spared the trips to the ER some had to go on. Casts did happen although parents were not blamed.  Most kids had deadlines to be home for dinner or lunch and if they didn't, were punished in some way.

I found the biggest issues were teens, although we lived in a suburb that seemed "quiet", many lost lives in car accidents driving too fasts, drugs, alcohol and one suicide I was aware of.

I think parents do hover a bit more today, the news 24 hours a day makes them more anxious, I hovered (not helicopter!) more outside of the house, being more anxious about things away from home, but not in the ballpark of some I witnessed. It makes kids more anxious and that is never good. You learn some things from failure and trial and error.

If I ever had to watch my twins all day and not just listen on occasion, I'd never have gotten anything done  : )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 6/16/2017 at 0:54 AM, KLovestoShop said:

What is it with young mothers today who have to SEE their their kids every minute of the day?  The Singapore mother just wanted to have an open kitchen so she could see her boys when cooking.  When we were kids, we were outside playing all day in the spring and summer without mom having to stare at us the whole time.  And when we were inside, we lives in a craftsman house, with all the rooms compartmentalized.  We weren't any the worse for wear if mom didn't see us constantly.  

She said a few times that being with the kids was not a common thing for her, I think she wasn't experienced with being "at home" with them and maybe they had daycare and help a lot of the time, her husband probably doing a lot when he was home.  She almost sounded scared. I've seen that with some parents, but hopefully she adjusts.

And how dare they have their stoves in Celsius!  Didn't they know an American would be living there?? lol

Edited by debraran
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, javajeanelaine said:

When I was little, my mother brought me in the kitchen with her and let me play with the canned goods. 

Many of us got pots and pans too...nothing like a cheap set of drums or blocks. You just have to have a little imagination.

• Love 7

Ah, you 60s kids had it good.  My Oma tied rags to my hands and knees so I could clean her kitchen floor as I learned to crawl.  Before that, I'm told I was dragged around said floor on an old blanket to clean it.  (50s kid here).  ;-)

Played all day in the park before I even started school, and in the "bush" whenever I visited my cousins.  Never broke a single bone in my body,  Never knew a single kid who died (or had asthma or allergies or autism, for that matter).  Lived with 2 chain smokers (in a small apartment in the early years), and have been a heavy smoker myself for more than 40 years.  I may have the first signs of a little wheezing and a smoker's cough, but haven't had even the slightest cold or flu in a decade.  (Of course, I won't be surprised if I eventually die of emphysema, lung cancer or old age, but that's on me).

So, yeah, I AM giving a bit of a side-eye to these eagle eyed nervous Mums who cannot trust their kids out of their sight for a hot minute, and NEED that open concept living area and kid's bedrooms close by.

• Love 3

England to Australia.....I guess Australia has lots of snakes, that's all I really have to say about this show.  Except for the modern home, it wasn't for me and the script was pretty limited, it was like the children could have done better.

Nice scenery though.

• Love 1
On 6/16/2017 at 7:49 AM, Kohola3 said:

Helicopter parenting.  It's a wonder those of us born more than half a century ago lived to tell about it.  Not only did we disappear for hours at a time playing all over the neighborhood, we didn't have seat belts and our parents all smoked.  Truly a miracle.

My brother and sister and I were just telling all of our kids about the no seat belts.  Remember when a car seat was made of wood and steel and wasn't as much for safety as it was to contain the child, always put in the front seat with a steering wheel that could jam into child in a stop-short incident?  I remember going on trips all over Michigan with the windows rolled up, air on and both parents smoking like chimneys.  Our baby sister was sitting on mom's lap until she handed her back to us, age 5, to put her up in the back window.  She would pass out there and I swear it was because she was smoked out and lying in the blazing sun.  Ah the good old days.  We would be outdoors all day and would bike by the side door to pick up a sandwich from mom when then she would tell us to drink from the hose.  DRINK FROM THE HOSE!  The same hose that layed in the sun all day and all this while the grass was chemically treated twice a week for that green lawn.

10 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Ah, you 60s kids had it good.  My Oma tied rags to my hands and knees so I could clean her kitchen floor as I learned to crawl.  Before that, I'm told I was dragged around said floor on an old blanket to clean it.  (50s kid here).  ;-)

Our mom would dress us in cotton jammies with mitts on our hands and drag us around the wood floors and use us like brooms under the bed.  We loved it!

Just watched where the girl from the states was going to Copenhagen to meet and move in with her boyfriend.  People!  She needs a tub and would like an open floor plan with a new kitchen and spacious bathroom.  Why do they have to embarrass all of the USA?  Why?  Why is it always the person without the job wants to rule the options?  I just sit there and admire the architecture, the beautiful city and then scream at the tv, "shut the fuck up".

• Love 7
(edited)

I used to babysit a bunch of "little" kids when I was about 10-11.  A friend of mine and I would gather up all the neighbourhood kids and take them to the park for a couple of hours.  I think each mother gave us a quarter.  Riches :).  I cannot even imagine letting a child that age go to the park alone with a younger sibling let alone a bunch of little kids not even related to her!  Those may have been simpler times but sheesh, what were those mothers thinking?

6 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Why is it always the person without the job wants to rule the options?

Because it's producer driven drama but also because it's usually the person without the job who's going to be home all day - and despite what HH would like us to believe they are going to be alone a lot of the time (that large circle of friends isn't real for most expats, at least not right away that's for sure) so I don't really blame the stay at home spouse for wanting a few things their own way.  Expecting the working spouse to make an unrealistic commute, well that's another story though.   

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 5
56 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

Because it's producer driven drama but also because it's usually the person without the job who's going to be home all day - and despite what HH would like us to believe they are going to be alone a lot of the time (that large circle of friends isn't real for most expats, at least not right away that's for sure) so I don't really blame the stay at home spouse for wanting a few things their own way.  Expecting the working spouse to make an unrealistic commute, well that's another story though.   

The problem on HH is that they usually have the staying at home spouse being very unreasonably combative about what they expect.  While at the same time they have the working spouse being pretty damn casual about potential difficulties, like just how safe the wife and kiddies would actually be!  Sometimes they have one spouse come across as reasonable and the other a total jerk, often they're both pretty jerky.  I guess it's just wouldn't be interesting to have two sensible people who've explored all the options available to them making the most reasonable choice that works for all.  No drah-ma there!

• Love 4

I felt sorry for the husband in the Australia episode. No wonder he wants to live in the rain forest -- but he'd probably prefer it alone. I was surprised they took the second house; I thought for sure it was the third (there even seemed to be some children's toys in the third one). The aerial shot of the second showed it all alone. Was all that property theirs? That first house was so wrong for a family, with the kids in a separate building (just like the one property in Morocco a few episodes ago). I did like the realtor's confessional smack down that people moving to that area of Australia really didn't know what they were in for. 

Whiny Whitney in Singapore was annoying. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I did like the realtor's confessional smack down that people moving to that area of Australia really didn't know what they were in for. 

I missed that episode.  Where in Australia were they looking?

21 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

I missed that episode.  Where in Australia were they looking?

Mossman, Australia, which is in Queensland in the northeast. According to Google Maps, looks like there are several national parks and preserves in the area.

The Queensland, Australia episode was so strange.  I'm always suspicious of a man who wants to move his wife and small children away from everything and anyone.  But, she was even worse - OMG girl, get a freaking grip!  What a big baby she sounded like most of the time. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Mossman, Australia, which is in Queensland in the northeast. According to Google Maps, looks like there are several national parks and preserves in the area.

Looked up Mossman and found out that the community is on 1,700 + people.  I also looked up the flora and fauna of the area.  I am so intrigued by the many different plants and animals that can do you harm.  Oddly enough the leading animal that causes death to people is the cow.  How funny is that.

I used to be in a web ring (God, I am old) with political minded people and the site sprang from Australia though had women from all over the world.  One Brit moved to Australia with her husband and children and would regale us on a daily basis of her "scare of the day".  The giant spider they found in the ceiling corner of the dining room that when being swept with a broom, had like 100 baby spiders disperse.  OMG!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, LazyToaster said:

The Queensland, Australia episode was so strange.  I'm always suspicious of a man who wants to move his wife and small children away from everything and anyone.  But, she was even worse - OMG girl, get a freaking grip!  What a big baby she sounded like most of the time. 

The mom really did need to get a grip!!!  I knew they would not take the first house and almost hubby and I were almost yelling at the tv:  "TAKE THE SECOND HOME!!!"  "DON'T LET HER TALK YOU INTO THE THIRD ONE!"  

Living out in the middle of nowhere sounds great to me!!!

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/23/2017 at 5:23 PM, LazyToaster said:

I just watched a crime show about a missing wife and that strangely passed my mind with the first house, having kids make it seem less plausible. ; ) I would go stir crazy in that environment

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
(edited)

North Carolina to Berlin....another "did no homework" or was made to look stupid show.  "No dryer? how do you dry clothes in Berlin?" I'm surprised the number of pets that come over. Is it that easy to bring them to most countries?  Beautiful retriever she had. He must be like, Where are we, where's the farm?"

The third apartment was called "creepy" by her friend, modern yes, but creepy? Why does an apartment have to feel like "Berlin", you are IN Berlin. It's all around you. Sometimes the more modern apartment gives you better insulation and perks.  It was the best choice.

My daughter was saying she must get paid well or have savings because of her shopping and decorating the apartment but you never know. Many companies give you "setup" money and her parents might have helped.  I know a few where I work that supplement their children's pay in other states or countries, something I couldn't do but is an option for some.

This young woman gives an nice overview of HHI...she had to makeup something too, kind of silly, but the producers like it.  I liked her house.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Diane M said:

There are no dryers in Berlin apartments?  Where are they supposed to hang their laundry?  Towels and sheets draped over the furniture to dry?

Drying rack or in nice weather if possible a clothing line outside the windows/balcony. 

10 minutes ago, Diane M said:

Hanging clothes out the window like they do in impoverished countries?  That just seems strange in a metropolitan city like Berlin.

It's common all over Europe not just "impoverished" countries as are indoor drying racks.  My mom got so used to it when they lived in Prague she does it now when she is back in the US for a lot of clothes because it's better for them than a dryer.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Diane M said:

Hanging clothes out the window like they do in impoverished countries?  That just seems strange in a metropolitan city like Berlin.

This forum mentions it also. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187323-i135-k5265256-Washing_machines_in_apartments-Berlin.html

My daughter is in UK and although dryers exist many don't use them. Most of her clothes she dries on a rack (even in states) because of shrinking or delicate material. She misses it for towels and things like that.

• Love 2

"Promotion in Berlin"

My gobsmack moment came when the HH asked about the lack of a dryer, and was told about "line drying".  She acted like it was an alien concept.  Am I really so fuckin' old that I remember the ubiquitous backyard clothesline?

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Am I really so fuckin' old that I remember the ubiquitous backyard clothesline?

You may be old but I still have one so what does that make me?  Why pay the electric bill when nature takes care of it for free and it smells better!

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

You may be old but I still have one so what does that make me?  Why pay the electric bill when nature takes care of it for free and it smells better!

I have one, too, but I also have a bazillion backyard birds who love to perch and shit all over whatever's hangin' on that clothesline, so that sweet outdoor smell?  Kinda a MOO point.  ;-)  Makes me wonder how my ancestors dealt with that particular problemo (best no to think of such thing!).

I now hang my handwash in my "living space" AKA - the re-purposed enclosed patio (replete with"local" paver tile floor and perpetually leaking roof).  The last time a really dangerous California wildfire threatened my bird hoardersi/friends, I evacuated them and we screwed a bunch of hooks into my ceiling for perches (22 birds, all made nice with my curious kitten).  The hooks have come in pretty darned handy after all these years, as I have not used my clothesdtyer appliance since the early 2000s. Conserve & preserve, my friends (oh, and Downy in the final rinse).  :-D

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Diane M said:

They do in Paris.  I've stayed in apts. and many places just have wading machines or one of those combo units.  But they also have clothes racks too.

Fine in the summer but it gets wet and cold in the winter.

Berlin is even more to the north, so colder weather.

But line drying is definitely common in Italy and Spain.  I've seen some narrow alleys with lines strewn across between buildings.

• Love 2

For those asking questions about where to dry clothes....How do you think people dried clothes in the winter before electric dryers? I still use a folding drying rack for clothes that I don't put in a dryer.

I shook my head when the Berlin woman said, "At this price point, I would expect a little more room." Based on what? Your vast knowledge of North Carolina property?

My daughter was saying she must get paid well or have savings because of her shopping and decorating the apartment but you never know.

The woman sold her house in NC before moving to Berlin. She probably had a little pocket money.

The third apartment was called "creepy" by her friend, modern yes, but creepy?

I didn't hear that. I did hear the friend refer to the balcony as "crazy" because it was so large.

The woman was hung up on there being a park for the dog.  Do people assume that they can take their dog to a park and let it run loose? I would think in a city, that would be difficult considering all the people who are using the park. Then, she didn't like that there was a 20-minute walk to the nearest park. Twenty minutes of exercise for the dog that may or not be able to run loose. I hope the poor dog gets his exercise despite his now being confined to an apartment with an owner who doesn't want to walk 20 minutes. Maybe she'll take up jogging....

• Love 3