Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I prefer Flor, but will watch Sarah—especially with that couple. Well balanced and respectful, and the house is great. And somehow Tom’s commute fell to 25 minutes, which he was originally not too opposed to.

Berlin without Kevin: I passed.

• Love 4

The Berlin couple seemed like they were genuinely interested in travel.

He'd traveled a lot during college, she never had.  She was willing to give up her job in Chicago now that the opportunity presented itself for them to live in Berlin, with opportunities to travel from there.

More convincing than most other house hunters talking about how they wanted to give their children exposure to the world or whatever.

They seem to specifically reject the one with the most space and highest rent because it wasn't near restaurants and bars.

She said they'd never do the large kitchen justice anyways since they just like to go eat out.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Sarah and her antics have spoiled the Netherlands episodes for me.  She is not cute.  I want to see Floor.

Yep. Sarah tries too hard for my liking. 

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Amsterdam:  Just about fell out of my chair when the guy said their budget was 3 million!  Then they went $600,000 over.  

I agree the antics of Sarah are annoying and in this episode she was joined by the one home buyer.  Who goes into a kitchen and puts their face down on the kitchen island?  It seemed there was more antics than showing the houses.  I just got a sugar daddy vibe from the older guy who I thought seemed very nice.

Berlin:  That first place was so deceptive looking from the outside  - that living room wasn't more than a hallway with stairs( which took up half the floor space).  At least they were young so maybe walking up 6 flights of stairs multiple times a day isn't so bad.

• Love 3

I must be in the minority but I don't pay a whit of attention to the Realtors at all.  They are just background noise to me.

I thought the "do it yourself" pair in Mexico City were an interesting twist.  I wonder if they are still there and how they made out in the recent earthquake.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

I must be in the minority but I don't pay a whit of attention to the Realtors at all.  They are just background noise to me.

I like them when they're witty, eye candy and/or provided the needed snarky wake-up call for stupid Americans. 

• Love 11
18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I didn't like the way the San Francisco to Mexico City let their dog run in the courtyard, and in the apartments.   

Yes.  He takes it off leash in the places and tells him to go play!  Laying on the furniture, maybe leaving momentos.  How rude!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Lately it seems like more hunters with dogs than children so demands for gardens, though I guess hunters with children would also want backyards.

The Perth couple it looked like she wanted to mock HH trope of wanting character, cracked the joke about the only character she needed was him twice.

Or she just wants to play to the cameras, as one might expect from someone with pink hair.

Husband wanted outdoor space as well as additional bed and bathrooms for whenever his daughter visited.

I guess in general, Australia is a place to take advantage of the weather.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, aghst said:

Lately it seems like more hunters with dogs than children so demands for gardens, though I guess hunters with children would also want backyards.

The Perth couple it looked like she wanted to mock HH trope of wanting character, cracked the joke about the only character she needed was him twice.

Or she just wants to play to the cameras, as one might expect from someone with pink hair.

Husband wanted outdoor space as well as additional bed and bathrooms for whenever his daughter visited.

I guess in general, Australia is a place to take advantage of the weather.

yeah, they were annoying, especially her. 

i always wonder if the couples are still together and i'm guessing this union won't last long.

• Love 4

It seems to be happened more often that a rerun gets tagged with "new" and so my dvr records it (and gets me excited thinking there are more new episodes).  Does this happen to anyone else?  It's no big deal of course as I just delete them, but it does disappoint me.

As for the Perth episode, I thought the stand alone home was the best!  I loved the updating on that and it had a (small) pool.  I always treat this show as if the renters/buyers actually choose from what they are shown (even though I know they already have their home), but I do wonder from time to time if once they view the decoy options they are disappointed with what they actually have.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

As for the Perth episode, I thought the stand alone home was the best!  I loved the updating on that and it had a (small) pool.  I always treat this show as if the renters/buyers actually choose from what they are shown (even though I know they already have their home), but I do wonder from time to time if once they view the decoy options they are disappointed with what they actually have.

Is this the one where they ended up in a shipping container tiny house thing in the middle of some field near nothing?  He REALLY wanted beach so he could surf, and a space to work, neither of which he got.  She wanted to live near farms and to, basically, live in their van, which is pretty much what they ended up with.  It made me angry on his behalf that they ended up in the field, sitting on chairs outside the shipping container, but then I remembered what you said - they already had picked their "house."

48 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

...I do wonder from time to time if once they view the decoy options they are disappointed with what they actually have.

Me, too!  "Crap, we ended up with this dump and the fake house we just toured would have been awesome."

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, izabella said:

Is this the one where they ended up in a shipping container tiny house thing in the middle of some field near nothing?  He REALLY wanted beach so he could surf, and a space to work, neither of which he got.  She wanted to live near farms and to, basically, live in their van, which is pretty much what they ended up with.  It made me angry on his behalf that they ended up in the field, sitting on chairs outside the shipping container, but then I remembered what you said - they already had picked their "house."

Different episode.  The three options were the stand alone and two townhomes.  They chose a townhome near to the city center.  It was fine, but I thought it paled compared to the stand alone home.

This is the only reality show on which I could see myself-and I would love to live over seas for a while.  However, if I did move elsewhere I would NEVER be on this show because I am afraid I would like one of the decoys better than where I was living and would have apartment/house envy for the remainder of the lease...

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
On 9/8/2021 at 10:21 AM, chessiegal said:

Adrian really has a business finding properties for clients. Sarah is an actress. So yes - not the same league.

Adrian Leeds Group

Meh, no one on this show is actually documenting real purchases or rentals. Everything is staged, so it's all subjective anyway. 

Sarah's in the same league as Adrian for me, entertainment wise. They have different styles of presenting, but I always enjoy both of their episodes.

• Love 8

Brisbane, Australia. That rooftop space at place #1 was spectacular! And there were actually people using it. What a great way to meet new friends, Matt. The studio was cute. Too bad they didn't take some of the bedroom space and add it to the lounge. I'm impressed the realtor hasn't thrown up her hands. Good outdoor space at #3. Can't believe Maxine tried to talk him out of his choice. Did she live nearby #2?

• Love 4

Has Maxine been in other Australian cities or just Brisbane?

Seems like she was kind of thirsty for the HH.  They had her play the role of the friend and the agent in this one, with them kayaking together for the little scenes of the HH doing something in the new city.

Yeah he's not a good negotiator.  Must have really signaled that he'd do anything to move to Australia and the employer took advantage.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, KFC said:

Meh, no one on this show is actually documenting real purchases or rentals. Everything is staged, so it's all subjective anyway.

I know someone who was on the show and most of the story was only based in truth, but the house they showed them picking was their house.  Which they'd bought a couple of years prior, but it really was theirs.  But maybe that's not documenting the purchase, now that I think about it. 

6 hours ago, aghst said:

Seems like she was kind of thirsty for the HH.  They had her play the role of the friend and the agent in this one, with them kayaking together for the little scenes of the HH doing something in the new city.

You forgot going shopping for new clothes due to his weight loss.  Bleh.

As stupid as some of the constructs seem (like having a "friend" along to offer counterpoint, or having someone pose as an agent), I appreciate them when they're gone. 

• Love 1

I watch this show for Kevin, of course, but mainly to see what housing is like in other countries and to snark on the HHs. I don’t watch it for a realistic depiction of the house hunting process.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 5

Orihuela Costa, Spain. Nick! We'll take what (who) we can get. Hayley is ok, but seems stuck on being by the water. Those first 2 option are really nice. The beach place is way too big for her. Mary and her family could move in so Hayley isn't lonely. Wonder if she really goes to the beach all that often.

8 minutes ago, Texasmom1970 said:

So business attire for realtor lady in Brisbane, Australia is lots of side boob? Is that how she get business?

Omg, I noticed that too! She is not one for bras.

• Love 4

Spain: Nice to see the Silver Fox again. Why on earth did the HH call the (too big for her) house a chalet? It wasn’t a chalet. When she said for the millionth time that she wanted to be on the water, I was like “Then live on a boat, bitch.”

• LOL 2

Wouldn’t they call it a villa in Spain?

Chalet I think of the Alps.

She calls in her new BFF since she’s lived in the area for years and promptly ignores her advice.

What does she do from her seaside home?  Bikes instead of surf or do yoga in the beach.

Wonder if in peak tourist season the area gets noisy.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Spain: Nice to see the Silver Fox again. Why on earth did the HH call the (too big for her) house a chalet? It wasn’t a chalet. 

In a lot of places a chalet is the word for any type of holiday home, ie where tourist go to chill. So if she was looking in a touristy part of Spain then it can definitely be considered a chalet. 

• Love 3

Pyeongtaek, South Korea. They are an attractive couple. Does her "job" bring in any money that could contribute to the rent? That was a nice playscape at #1. The wallpaper wasn't too garish. I could live with it. The 3rd apartment definitely had a lived in vibe. It didn't seem that bad. But Justin should know how competitive Anna is and not turn this into a contest. My dad hated kimchi, I've never tried it.

• Love 2

Bribie Island, Australia. Does Molly look older than Sean? What does this guy have against a little yard work? Get a job and you can hire someone. Those kitchens don't look that outdated. Does he do the cooking? Sure that condo was spectacular, but I think Molly is looking for some privacy after living with resort guests. Nice trade off, she gets what she wants and he can have a boat.

• Love 2

They chose Korea over returning to the US and were willing to put their younger child into a local school rather than an international school.

But maybe it’s better for his pilot career to be in Korea.

They can’t speak the language or know how to take the subway but there must be some other base families to socialize with.

I can’t imagine twitch or whatever game streaming she’s doing is that sustainable.  She is pretty but how long will young men pay to watch her play games when they find out she’s the mother of two young boys?

4 bedroom apt for $1700 is so much cheaper than most places in the US though.

The Australian couple, I guess boat and lower rent means he doesn’t have to get a job.  They named their daughter after some clam, not Longstocking.

Also that island seems like another vacation destination, like Fiji apparently is to Aussies.

They must have made money because he also has a red Mustang (with the drivers seat on the right!) and a 4x4 so he has a lot of toys.

• Love 3

I watched the Birbie Island, Australia one. I kept thinking that their daughter was an "opps". But that just my opinion and assuming they are real people of course they love her. I'm glad the guy realized that a house made more sense. I didn't like that condo, it was cold and too white. I'd have to paint or something. 

• Love 3

I don't think it's a sign of immaturity that he wants lowest-maintenance possible.

Who wants to spend their weekends doing yard work?

Sure he likes his toys but presumably they've saved enough that they don't have to be in a hurry to work again.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

South Korea, so why did the husband even go look with his wife? So he could hear her say, "that's not gonna work for me", a hundred times. She bugged me.

Why? She was going to be there the most and needed an office. A place that didn't have one wasn't going to work for her. Simple. I was surprised she didn't have a bit more of an on camera personality. Though I don't watch gaming so maybe it's more about the skillz in that business. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Texasmom1970 said:

I wanted to grab him through the tv and yell dude you are married with a young child, grow up!

I wanted her to grow up and get rid of the pig tails.  I know it might be hot and humid there but surely she could have had a more comfortable, adult hairstyle.  And I got tired of them mentioning "Pippi" throughout the episode. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I wanted her to grow up and get rid of the pig tails.  I know it might be hot and humid there but surely she could have had a more comfortable, adult hairstyle.  And I got tired of them mentioning "Pippi" throughout the episode. 

I'm genuinely curious what hairstyles count as adult vs children ones in your mind? 

I also felt a bit bad for Pippi and hope that's a nickname only. 

Just now, Grrarrggh said:

I'm genuinely curious what hairstyles count as adult vs children ones in your mind? 

I also felt a bit bad for Pippi and hope that's a nickname only. 

Ok, I'll genuinely answer.  I think pigtails are for children.  Just my opinion, it doesn't have to be anyone else's.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, aghst said:

I don't think it's a sign of immaturity that he wants lowest-maintenance possible.

Who wants to spend their weekends doing yard work?

Sure he likes his toys but presumably they've saved enough that they don't have to be in a hurry to work again.

I hate yard work as well. I am with his wife when she suggested hiring someone to maintain the yard. I think some viewers see immaturity when a house hunter seems to not be giving equal consideration to the entire family.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Why? She was going to be there the most and needed an office. A place that didn't have one wasn't going to work for her. Simple. I was surprised she didn't have a bit more of an on camera personality. Though I don't watch gaming so maybe it's more about the skillz in that business. 

Maybe I am just too old, in my thinking it just seems like it is not a real job. But maybe she does make money that way, I totally agree with you about her personality; well lack of one.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Maybe I am just too old, in my thinking it just seems like it is not a real job. But maybe she does make money that way, I totally agree with you about her personality; well lack of one.

S. Korea: What exactly was her job anyway? Does she beta test games?

• Love 1