Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Vaucluse, France. Budget is 200k but we have saved a bit so it can go up to 600k! That's quite a jump. Lucas has an interesting tattoo, I don't hate it. These properties are not to my taste. I wouldn't want to do the major renovations. The third is certainly fascinating with that history. Instead of a restaurant, they should do a B&B. Curtis and his practicality wins out. 

Looked like a lovely part of France but doesn't seem to be a huge tourist destination like nearby Avignon or the Luberon villages.

Does the chef house hunter work in a restaurant which tries to attract tourist clientele or hope to open one?

Do people who live in small villages patronize restaurants enough to sustain them?

I think the choice they made was good, not to put all their money into a big property without getting an idea of the local market.  That third place was also 45 minutes away from the restaurant where they have jobs, so they'd have had long commutes for awhile.

They don't know that that place is necessarily good for restaurants.

Also, they happen to choose that area because that was the first job he found after culinary school.  So he might prefer or find jobs in a different region.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Lucas has an interesting tattoo, I don't hate it.

Initially, I sort of felt like I was swallowing in sympathetic discomfort at the sight of that tattoo on his throat like that. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4
On 6/15/2022 at 10:58 AM, mojito said:

The woman declared in disgust that the sofa was "blue-ah". Is this some new speech pattern or am I only now noticing it? I'm hearing it in a certain demographic (always females) a lot lately.

Yes! Hate that, been noticing it for a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm wondering if the town in France only has tourists a certain time of year? I saw NO people as they were walking around -- and no cars on the roads around them or even at a distance.  It looked deserted.  I may have missed a car but this place, while beautiful in it's way, didn't look like a place people would flock to a restaurant.  And not much parking for customers from what I could tell. 

I think the above idea of a B&B is a good one. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The "chef" (Lucas?) graduated from culinary school (hope it was a good one!) and now has what is apparently his first job. So he wants to buy a house in this village and open a restaurant?

What happened to training? And why doesn't he consider some of that training outside France? There's a wide world of cuisine out there.

In any event, in France or not, with a partner willing to support him he could concentrate on building his skills and experience for a few years.

I thought Vaucluse is a region? What village are they actually in?

• Like 2
(edited)

Richard Blanco is on fire tonight!    Young couple moving in together for the first time, she's Canadian, and is moving to Coventry England for a university course for him.   Impossible wish list, for $1200 a month.  Richard is on fire on this one.     You can almost see his thoughts about their wish list, close to train, 2 bed 2 bath, outdoor space, for $1200 a month furnished.   

1st place 2 bathroom, so you know that's probably the one she'll demand.   

Carrie doesn't even go into the second place and already says she doesn't like it.  #2 has a big kitchen, it has an oven, all of the appliances. lots of cabinet space, but furnishings aren't up to her standards.   Carrie gets snotty about the kitchen and bath, it's $200 under budget.   1 bath, that's pretty big.   For one income, $1000 is a bargain.    Richard wants to strangle both of them. 

Third place has a great back yard, 1 bath. 2 bed, two story, $1200. Kitchen isn't big enough for her royal pickiness, bath is too small. bedrooms upstairs, but bath downstairs, so you know she'll whine.  

Richard really analyzed them very well, Carrie's in charge, and boyfriend should get over it. 

They pick #1, Carrie wins again. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 11
  • Love 2

Coventry, England: “I don’t know what Richard was thinking.” EXCUSE YOU? Mentioning it was her money multiple times, and the way she stated how it “wasn’t at all a sacrifice” to support him and make the move makes me think she considers it a big sacrifice. “I have to do what’s right for me.”

It’s two of them. How big of a kitchen do they need?

A pet peeve: People who say “I” when “me” is correct. It’s “for Max and me.”

I’m calling it. The chances of them making it as a couple? Zero.

• Like 8
  • Applause 9
  • Love 7

Coventry: Poor guy! I hope he meets a nice local woman or a fellow student. 😏 

Apt.2: There was nothing wrong with that kitchen or bathroom. 
Carrie’s voice was like fingernails on the chalkboard for me. I’m an English Instructor so the “for Max and I” grated too.

7 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

It’s two of them. How big of a kitchen do they need?

You mean does she need. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

I’m with you on all the misuse of “I, me, myself” in the world.

Wow.  Carrie wanted a LOT and was a lot!  I wonder if they emphasized the two bathrooms because that is what they already had.  I could not figure that out — in an apartment, while one of them is still in school.  

House #2:  I thought the kitchen was fine; the stove not as new but she was being picky.  I did agree with her on the bathroom only because it looked dirty and rusty to me.

House #3:  I liked it for the “charm” and the back yard.  The one bathroom was far away from the bedrooms, which to me would be an issue.

• Love 6

Coventry girlfriend wanted her own bathroom.

Not unreasonable, since she's paying the bills.

They'd never lived together so it's kind of a leap for her to move to the UK with him, get a new job, pay the bills while he goes to school.

Does she do that without an understanding that they will marry so his increased earning after getting a master would benefit the both of them?

But for now they're not married so girl better check herself a bit, he could exit stage right after he gets his masters.

It's not uncommon for young women to toil and support a guy through med school or residency only to be screwed over and abandoned.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 3
12 hours ago, Thumper said:

I’m with you on all the misuse of “I, me, myself” in the world.

It also drives me insane.

Also I am never sure whether poor grammar in a movie or television show is because of the stupidity of the writer or whether it is deliberately done as part of the development of the character.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I’m calling it. The chances of them making it as a couple? Zero.

I second that.

1 hour ago, aghst said:

Does she do that without an understanding that they will marry so his increased earning after getting a master would benefit the both of them?

I don't marriage as a given for these two.

He liked that small patch of grass because it reminded him of Cleveland. Well, okay. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Brisbane - Couple moves from DC to Brisbane, guy is American and wife is originally from Sydney.

They have a baby now.

She's used to getting her way.  But she relents, agrees to buy the apt. with amenities like the gym for her and the pool for their toddler.

$600k.

Maxine is the agent.  She keeps cracking while they're not around that the wife is going to get her way.  Says 40k people came to Brisbane in the last year so the city is booming.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, aghst said:

Brisbane - Couple moves from DC to Brisbane, guy is American and wife is originally from Sydney.

They have a baby now.

She's used to getting her way.  But she relents, agrees to buy the apt. with amenities like the gym for her and the pool for their toddler.

$600k.

Maxine is the agent.  She keeps cracking while they're not around that the wife is going to get her way.  Says 40k people came to Brisbane in the last year so the city is booming.

Nice mature couple.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, aghst said:

They have a baby now.

$600k.

Maxine is the agent. 

I did like the couple. And Maxine got a healthy commission for once.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, aghst said:

Maxine is the agent.  She keeps cracking while they're not around that the wife is going to get her way.  

Maxine and a couple of the guys who appear on these Australian episodes display a bit more personality than most of the other HHI agents do. I like them for it.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, mojito said:

Maxine and a couple of the guys who appear on these Australian episodes display a bit more personality than most of the other HHI agents do. I like them for it.

Kevin (🥰), Richard, Adrian, Nick the Silver Fox, Taniel, and Floor all have great personalities. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
37 minutes ago, QQQQ said:

I like Maxine, but (shallow comment alert) find the shape of her face/head very distracting.

I like Maxine, too, but I feel the same way.

And speaking of shallow, I like Richard but I can't stand to look at him with that beard and moustache encircling his mouth.

• Like 6
On 6/22/2022 at 10:57 AM, aghst said:

It's not uncommon for young women to toil and support a guy through med school or residency only to be screwed over and abandoned.

True, but I'm rooting for the boyfriend to run for the hills asap.

I do get not wanting the bathroom to be so far from the bedroom, though.  But that was the only real problem with choice #3.

I liked the couple in Brisbane.  I understood her reluctance to spend the extra money, but she and the baby will be in that pool all the time, so they'll all get amenities they'll enjoy and it'll be worth it in the long run.  I couldn't live that many floors up, but the view was great.

• Like 6
(edited)

Apologies in advance but in Canada I receive every episode 6 months to 2 years later.  I just saw "Party Bus to Rosarito" (Mexico). 

A couple is determined to find a home with character on the water in Rosarito, Mexico. Since they failed in their past attempts to find the perfect place, they bring a party bus full of friends with the hope that the group will push them to a final decision.

An American white middle aged couple brings a Party Bus of about a DOZEN FRIENDS or more to every single house they're looking at.  They're all drinking, they have their drinks and go to every house's rooftop and party while the couple and the realtor looks around.  That poor realtor!

It felt very distasteful.  Obviously I'm jealous of their life but still.

Also, they made it clear they bought the house for themselves and their friends to party in and then suddenly at the end they tried to throw in this 'heartwarming scene' of the husband telling his parents "Happy Anniversary.  This is your house, I bought it."  What??????????????  DO THEY LIVE THERE OR DON'T THEY?  If they live there, then it isn't the parents' house, is it?

What an episode!

On 6/25/2022 at 12:56 AM, LittleIggy said:

Kevin (🥰), Richard, Adrian, Nick the Silver Fox, Taniel, and Floor all have great personalities. 

I'm obsessed with Floor - she's so gorgeous and stylish.  

https://www.instagram.com/fpeijnenburg/?hl=en

Oh hey, I like Kevin too.  I always end up Googling him because I can't believe how much he reminds me of Jai from the original Queer Eye.

jai_rodriguez_now_queer_191126_jpg_g9bqorq2sh.jpeg

Kevin-Brugger.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

The superficial comments about Maxine are all true but so far at least her personality seems cool. Though I'm watching a Brisbane episode (I think a different one that you guys are) and she's giving the husband a very hard time about using the phrase "pocket doors".

Who's the American blonde who does all the the Netherlands locations?  I don't trust that woman.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
5 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Who's the American blonde who does all the the Netherlands locations?  I don't trust that woman.

Sarah Eggar - she's an actress, playing a real estate agent on HHI.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Oh hey, I like Kevin too.  I always end up Googling him because I can't believe how much he reminds me of Jai from the original Queer Eye.

OMG I never thought of that but YES!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Two things I like about the couple in Mexico:

1) The wife makes a compelling argument for letting your hair go grey. I thought her face was beautiful. 

2) Their adorable 2 year old granddaughter made me miss my own toddlers nieces, she looked just like them.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, javajeanelaine said:

Sarah Eggar is an actual real estate agent. 

I thought I read that, too. She's an actual realtor who used to be an actor ( or maybe she still does some). Just like (believe it or not) Ryan Serhant of Million Dollar Listing NY, who was an actor many moons ago, but obviously found a more successful path.

• Love 4
(edited)

A lot of actors do real estate as a side job if they can't make a consistent living as an actor.

Real estate agents are often technically independent contractors (at least in the US) and can set their own schedules.  That gives agents the freedom for auditions or putting their work on pause while they do a short term acting job they've booked.  Or work later in the afternoons if they are out late doing a play.

Most of the cast of Selling Sunset, for example, have acting or modeling in their portfolios while also being real estate agents.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

1) The wife makes a compelling argument for letting your hair go grey. I thought her face was beautiful. 

While watching, I kept thinking, "She's got a nice head of hair."

I was underwhelmed by the places in Mexico. I think I would've had to shell out more money or looked elsewhere.

Mexico, Australia, and the UK are getting pretty boring for me (the latter's weather is frequently so dreary I can almost feel my SAD kicking in and the homes are not at all my cup of tea).

I would like HHI to include house hunters from other countries (that would be the international part) looking for homes in Canada and the US.  I think I'd enjoy their perspectives. 

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Mexico and Australia get same-same for me too, but I'm never bored by the UK!  I'm never bored by anything in Europe - except Spain.  Sorry, Spain.  I have no idea why I have so many Spain episodes sitting on my PVR.  HHI Loooooves Spain.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Ugh, repeat tonight. 

I haven’t seen it, so am watching.  It’s funny how they keep showing the very “breast-y” photo of her with him.  And what’s with needing a “glam room?”  lol

Hope they are doing well!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Mexico and Australia get same-same for me too, but I'm never bored by the UK!  I'm never bored by anything in Europe - except Spain.  Sorry, Spain.  I have no idea why I have so many Spain episodes sitting on my PVR.  HHI Loooooves Spain.

Amsterdam bores me (except for Floor). I wish they would have more episodes set in Asia. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Amsterdam bores me (except for Floor). I wish they would have more episodes set in Asia. 

That's another one that HHI loves - Amsterdam.  I feel like I know that city inside and out without visiting.

I saw that I have an episode about Vienna, Austria that I still have to see!   There's so many countries that they rarely go to!  And yes, Asia!  Africa!  More please.  So many possibilities.  

There's a cute realtor in Thailand -- I think her name is Roberta but they call her Robbie for short.  I saw her do some Chiang Mai episodes.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3
20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah, I rarely watch the Australia/Mexico/Costa Rica shows all the way through. I find most of the Australian houses bland, and too many of the Mexican places look like generic vacation condos. Spain I watch because I used to live there and loved it. They show too many vacation condos though, too. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I found the name of the German realtor I don't like:  Kryspina Muenchschwander.

I enjoy her because she's so outgoing and enthusiastic and while her English is great, she sometimes says things kinda differently. I like that. Some people don't have the courage to speak a foreign language freely, but she's uninhibited. 

• Love 2
On 6/30/2022 at 11:01 PM, Thumper said:

I haven’t seen it, so am watching.  It’s funny how they keep showing the very “breast-y” photo of her with him.  And what’s with needing a “glam room?”  lol

Hope they are doing well!

I tuned in mid-way/caught her name and figured she was either trying to be an influencer or had an online reseller shop (the glam room looked like a boutique with each purse in a lit cube that would’ve been good in photos), but I didn’t find anything. The only thing I remembered about him were his oft-repeated “she slid into my DMs” and it was time to “take things to the next level.” Dude, put down the remote and stop watching The Bachelor.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

The couple in Mexico, with the pretty lady with grey hair….she drove me nuts. I felt she was very condescending and rude, and her husband was all about “she wants….she likes…” and not much about his wants.  I did not like her at all.

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, Meowwww said:

The couple in Mexico, with the pretty lady with grey hair….she drove me nuts. I felt she was very condescending and rude, and her husband was all about “she wants….she likes…” and not much about his wants.  I did not like her at all.

Another couple whose move to Mexico seemed completely inscrutable.

I have no idea why people feel they need to move to unwind. Why can't people decompress their own homes. Not that I have a particular urge to live in Gilroy but I would be as able to "relax" there as I would in a condo that seemed more suitable for rental for a week on a vacation.

Also when he said he was a "cloud engineer" who had a job where he could work remotely I was assuming his budget was more than $200,000. I thought all of the choices were rather strange for a couple with theoretically four children plus a grandchild. 

I don't get it because you could move to a condo with a pool in the US and live a peaceful "resort" life style and be closer to your family. 

Edited by amarante
  • Like 2
  • Love 10
On 7/2/2022 at 10:16 PM, amarante said:

Another couple whose move to Mexico seemed completely inscrutable.

I have no idea why people feel they need to move to unwind. Why can't people decompress their own homes. Not that I have a particular urge to live in Gilroy but I would be as able to "relax" there as I would in a condo that seemed more suitable for rental for a week on a vacation.

Also when he said he was a "cloud engineer" who had a job where he could work remotely I was assuming his budget was more than $200,000. I thought all of the choices were rather strange for a couple with theoretically four children plus a grandchild. 

I don't get it because you could move to a condo with a pool in the US and live a peaceful "resort" life style and be closer to your family. 

I think the whole 'storyline', that they were moving to Mexico permanently, was total fiction.  I think they wanted a place where they could vacation for a few weeks a year while renting it out for income the rest of the time.  That's what I think many of these Mexico HH plan to do, no matter what they claim to the camera.  The producers apparently don't think people want to watch HH's looking for vacation homes with income potential. The place they chose made no sense at all, otherwise.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1