Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Amsterdam, Netherlands. Guess we can see why Sarah hasn't been used lately. Another person who wants charm, maybe she should keep traveling. I guess if you're used to living out of a suitcase, a studio must feel like enough space.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Cute studio, great location, big tub=not a lot of tension over her choice. Felt for Sarah—who must have swallowed a fair amount of snark—having to pretend asking for appliance replacements was a legit ask.

Meanwhile, one wonders what income was supporting this wandering content creation. Maybe her mom, the sweater complimentor? LOL

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I got the impression that Sarah found the woman annoying. I liked when Sarah said something to the effect that you (the HH) would put the charm in the flat. I say that all the time especially when someone complains about a place being too sterile.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I got the impression that Sarah found the woman annoying. I liked when Sarah said something to the effect that you (the HH) would put the charm in the flat. I say that all the time especially when someone complains about a place being too sterile.

I often have a similar reaction, except that does cost money.  If you can find something which comes with period charm already at a price you can afford, that's great, as long as it meets your needs otherwise.  (Now, if the HH is buying, then all they have to do is paint, which is a cheap fix.)

• LOL 1

I didn't finish watching Amsterdam because Sarah annoys the hell out of me.  She thinks she's soooo adorable and cute.  I was surprised to see she was pregnant because I thought she was in her 40's.   I prefer Floor.

I got the impression the HH was being funded by parents.  

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I didn't finish watching Amsterdam because Sarah annoys the hell out of me.  She thinks she's soooo adorable and cute.  I was surprised to see she was pregnant because I thought she was in her 40's.   I prefer Floor.

Well they aired the Floor in Amsterdam episode just a couple of days ago so I don't know if that's indicative of these two Amsterdam episodes being filmed around the same time.

Usually Sarah has done all the Amsterdam episodes so maybe they let Floor cover because Sarah is as big as a house!

Might have been tough for her to get up those steep Amsterdam stairs, where you have to sometimes bend forward and twist as you climb or descend them.

Or maybe Sarah got out of the house after Floor encroached into her territory.  What's going to happen to her chipper persona when she's tired taking care of her baby?

All the properties didn't seem to have stairs.  The one that the "content creator" chose is on the ground floor and if she opens the windows, people can walk in from the street!

Sounds like she's on a digital nomad visa, so she could probably create content in Europe, mainly Instagram pics.  OK, she must do product placement to get income or just tout certain products on her IG feed.

She had a modest budget for Amsterdam so the properties weren't that inspiring.  She chose the best location, to get those IG pics of the canals and then she's near the main train station, which links to the airport.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I often have a similar reaction, except that does cost money.  If you can find something which comes with period charm already at a price you can afford, that's great, as long as it meets your needs otherwise.  (Now, if the HH is buying, then all they have to do is paint, which is a cheap fix.)

Doesn’t have to cost a lot. A few tchotchkes and throws can do a lot, IMO! 😁

4 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I watched despite Sarah. I had forgotten how annoying her voice was. At least, the pregnancy made her more subdued. I prefer Floor, too.

• Love 2
On 12/9/2021 at 11:43 AM, mojito said:

Picture Perfect in the WhitsundaysCouple from UK. She's originally from Tel Aviv. Beach, beach, beach. She just couldn't let go of that word.

Actually it was “bitch, bitch, bitch.” 😏

• Love 5

Usually Sarah has done all the Amsterdam episodes so maybe they let Floor cover because Sarah is as big as a house!

I like Floor, as she presents as more amiable, but have gotten use to Sarah - snark, voice & all!  This episode was filmed @ August, & Sarah has since given birth to her baby girl.

(Re: Sarah's absence, I just caught up with her IG, as I adore her dog Baron, but she has had a terribly sad summer with the passing of her beloved father. She went home to Ohio for several weeks during this difficult pandemic & pregnancy, to try to be with her father...)

Edited by swissair100
  • Love 1

Amsterdam:  I can't stand Sarah but I watch the episodes with her because I enjoy seeing Amsterdam.  I liked that we saw a bit of her house this episode - she has a nice yard.  I was interested in how this woman house hunter was actually supporting herself - she made it sound like her instagram account was providing it.  Searching her name I didn't find an instagram account so I looked for Sarah's - first time I've seen hers and she certainly has a nice lifestyle based on her pictures - and through that found the househunter's account.  She only has 43,000 (or was it 48,000) followers which doesn't seem that large too me at least not large enough to provide any sizeable income.  I had to laugh because so much of her photography was her posing (albeit with a scenic background).  So I really don't get how she's making money off it.

The place she chose would have been my last choice but I guess if you've been living out of a suitcase you're used to one room.  I had to laugh that so often a house hunter will comment about the windows in the front of the house - gee passerbys can look in!!! - but in this case passerbys could just walk right in.  She said she took this place because of the availability of taking photographs - was she planning to sit in her living and take photos?  It's not like the other places were out in the far suburbs.  I'd think you'd be out and about taking photos.

• Love 4

That place was right in the center of Amsterdam while the others weren't

So more opportunities for photos of canals and other Amsterdam postcards without walking too far.

Also close to the Central station, where she can take trains to other European cities or to the airport.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

There had to be money coming from the family or something more to the Amsterdam hunter's story. Why else would she choose two extremely expensive places to put down roots? 

Didn't people used to offer to sell their body parts for a bribe to get out of looking at other people's holiday snaps? Now they pay money to see them? Weird. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

The Amsterdam woman seemed very...uninterested.  Even when Sarah (who I don't care for) asked questions, she barely answered them and just seemed so removed from what she was doing and her surroundings.  

I think she was mostly worried about whether she'd find herself a guy in Amsterdam.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 12/12/2021 at 2:25 PM, abbyzenn said:

Amsterdam:  I was interested in how this woman house hunter was actually supporting herself - she made it sound like her instagram account was providing it.  Searching her name I didn't find an instagram account so I looked for Sarah's - first time I've seen hers and she certainly has a nice lifestyle based on her pictures - and through that found the househunter's account.  She only has 43,000 (or was it 48,000) followers which doesn't seem that large too me at least not large enough to provide any sizeable income.  I had to laugh because so much of her photography was her posing (albeit with a scenic background).  So I really don't get how she's making money off it.

"Photographer" is the new "travel blogger." Total poseur. Funded by a trust fund/bank of Dad.

(“Estetics” [aesthetics] my ass.)

Edited by ArtFossil
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Cloncurry, Australia. Maybe he'd like to live in the shed. #3 is definitely the winner. House is clean and modern with a good size garage. Maybe the realtor can negotiate the price down or they could write a letter 😉

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Cloncurry, Australia. Maybe he'd like to live in the shed. #3 is definitely the winner. House is clean and modern with a good size garage. Maybe the realtor can negotiate the price down or they could write a letter 😉

These outback mining towns look very unappealing.

Maybe there was one scene, where they parked in front of some body of water, that looked nice.

But the rest was ugh.

Road trains to keep these towns going?  Blech.

He should have moved to Norway though maybe she wanted to get away from the cold.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, aghst said:

He should have moved to Norway though maybe she wanted to get away from the cold.

That's highly probable.

10 minutes ago, aghst said:

Road trains to keep these towns going?  Blech.

Depending on what they're mining, keeping the towns going is quite important to the economy.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

#3 was the very best.  #1 is fixable, and he can put a big shed at the back of the property, being on a corner will make it quite accessible.  Being in the Out Back is probably a good place to be in Australia during this pandemic.  

• Love 2

Culross, Scotland. Now we're talking, an apartment above a pub! Stinks there's no yard for the dogs. And that wallpaper would be a no, plus no shower. Sigh, best location ever. They should film in Scotland more often, a place that has a ghost! What a great episode. And I like the couple. Cherry on top was their dogs trying to make friends with people at that food stand.

• Love 7
On 12/21/2021 at 10:58 PM, Grizzly said:

If I was the owner I would want to add a pet fee.  

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Pine said:

#3 was the very best.  #1 is fixable, and he can put a big shed at the back of the property, being on a corner will make it quite accessible.  Being in the Out Back is probably a good place to be in Australia during this pandemic.  

#3 was great but way too expensive.  The first house was a good compromise for both of them.

• Love 1

Scotland.  Both couples say they were into Scotland in their youth.  He surprises her with a honeymoon there and they decide to move there, at least for a year because he found a job there.  They're on a work visa.

He's trolling about preferring old, with dirt floors.

They eliminate #1 quickly because of wallpaper, lack of yard.  Number 2 is a picturesque stone cottage but inside needs renovation, including a kitchen without appliances.  How would that work with a rental?  Are they going to spend thousands to install a new kitchen and renovate other parts of the house when they may only be there one year?

The owner won't pay or give them credit?  

So they choose over budget #3, which has almost everything they want, including a big yard for their dogs.

Maybe they had a budget constraint or maybe he found a job near that village (as opposed to relatively nearby Edinburgh).  

I've never been to Scotland but I hope they've seen other parts of Europe or plan to before going on like Scotland is everything.  Maybe they don't mind the lack of sunlight since they were living in CT.

But they went on and on about this historic village, so well preserved.  You can find that everywhere in Europe, in prettier settings, better weather.  OTOH there might not be English-speaking jobs.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, aghst said:

Scotland.  Both couples say they were into Scotland in their youth.  He surprises her with a honeymoon there and they decide to move there, at least for a year because he found a job there.  They're on a work visa.

He's trolling about preferring old, with dirt floors.

They eliminate #1 quickly because of wallpaper, lack of yard.  Number 2 is a picturesque stone cottage but inside needs renovation, including a kitchen without appliances.  How would that work with a rental?  Are they going to spend thousands to install a new kitchen and renovate other parts of the house when they may only be there one year?

The owner won't pay or give them credit?  

So they choose over budget #3, which has almost everything they want, including a big yard for their dogs.

Maybe they had a budget constraint or maybe he found a job near that village (as opposed to relatively nearby Edinburgh).  

I've never been to Scotland but I hope they've seen other parts of Europe or plan to before going on like Scotland is everything.  Maybe they don't mind the lack of sunlight since they were living in CT.

But they went on and on about this historic village, so well preserved.  You can find that everywhere in Europe, in prettier settings, better weather.  OTOH there might not be English-speaking jobs.

yeah, buying appliances for a rental plus it had no furniture.  why would you even consider doing that???

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, aghst said:

Maybe they don't mind the lack of sunlight since they were living in CT.

You get plenty of sunlight during the summer. We were in Edinburgh on summer solstice. Our hotel room had blackout curtains because it stayed daylight so late.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, cinsays said:

yeah, buying appliances for a rental plus it had no furniture.  why would you even consider doing that???

I wondered the same thing.  Sure, they could sell the appliances when they moved or take them with them if they stayed in Scotland, but the place needed flooring in the kitchen.  Why would anyone install a new floor in a rental? How could any landlord expect tenants to make permanent, expensive improvements to the property?  I know the Scottish have a reputation for frugality, but that seems excessive.

I will say that my sister has a home she rents out to tenants.  3 beds, 2 baths on a fairly large piece of land, definitely a family-type home.  First tenants she ever had took the fridge and stove with them when they snuck out on the rent in the middle of the night.  Since then, she has purchased a new stove, but there is no fridge, and she hasn't had problems finding renters who bring their own.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, laredhead said:

Dehumidifier, check your TV settings regarding subtitles.  You probably can turn them on for HHI.  I use them all the time, especially for HHI's episodes, and British programs.

I was kidding. Well, half kidding. It's just funny to me that a woman for whom I assume English is a second language is easier to understand than a native English speaker. 

• Love 6
On 12/11/2021 at 8:33 AM, cinsays said:

I think you mean, look at me, look at me, bitch, bitch, bitch!

Yeah...she was quite the diva and dressed to show off her assets on TV. She seemed to be all about herself and wanting to be on the beach. Didn't really say much about what the kids needed. This poor guy treats her like a princess and that can be quite tiring after awhile. 

• Love 2

London. I'm mesmerized by the eyes of this couple. So striking. Peter needs to grow up a bit. If they weren't ready to be parents, they should have used protection. Their difference of opinion is stressing out our Richard. The place they picked was really nice. But didn't Hannah have a 2 hour commute from all of the properties? That makes for a long day.

• Love 8

Keila and Ryan in Thailand. I remember this repeat. The first thing I remembered is how he can’t eat with chop sticks. (He lifts food up, and then he dives in like a predator bird rather than moving the chop sticks to his mouth.) He’s living on his savings (??) from his time as a farm worker. He nagged his girlfriend to move from California to Thailand because he’d spent ELEVEN days there once. I feel like we’re witnessing the beginnings of a cult with him as Spiritual Leader who has sex with all of the female followers, and Kaila is his 1st Wife.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

London. I'm mesmerized by the eyes of this couple. So striking. Peter needs to grow up a bit. If they weren't ready to be parents, they should have used protection. Their difference of opinion is stressing out our Richard. The place they picked was really nice. But didn't Hannah have a 2 hour commute from all of the properties? That makes for a long day.

Her eyes were pretty, but his were stunning. Paul Newman blue! I thought the same thing about Peter. He won’t have time for pub hopping when he has to change nappies during the time Hannah is at work and commuting. Was that 2 hours round trip or one way? Why didn’t they move to Birmingham if he could work at home whereas she had to go to the office? 

• Like 1
  • Love 13
33 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Her eyes were pretty, but his were stunning. Paul Newman blue! I thought the same thing about Peter. He won’t have time for pub hopping when he has to change nappies during the time Hannah is at work and commuting. Was that 2 hours round trip or one way? Why didn’t they move to Birmingham if he could work at home whereas she had to go to the office? 

Birmingham is over 100 miles from London, so we're talking 2 hours each way commuting.  It makes no sense to me.  

• Like 1
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Birmingham is over 100 miles from London, so we're talking 2 hours each way commuting.  It makes no sense to me.  

All 3 properties were long commutes. Maybe she doesn't commute daily. Agree that parenthood may be a shock to these "jetsetters".

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

yeah, a long commute and a new mother with a husband who still wants to be cool and part;y

Wonder if the Thailand couple are still together. He did finally get a job but I think he would have been content to let her work while he goofed off.

• Love 4

I kept yelling at the TV every time the London guy said he wanted to be near pubs, and restaurants, etc.  His wife is going to be on a train for almost 4 hours every day, and he's going to be at home taking care of a baby unless they will have a full-time nanny.  Both of them are about to have a big dose of reality when the baby arrives.  I cannot fathom her agreeing to a 4 hour daily commute with a newborn at home.  There has to be more to this story than was told.  Maybe they wanted a 3 bedroom place so that they could have live in help, or a relative was planning to come stay for a while after the baby was born.  I'm still shaking my head over this one.  I was so distracted by the commute issue I have now forgotten which one they took.  Was it the largest one?  

• Like 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

yeah, a long commute and a new mother with a husband who still wants to be cool and part;y

Wonder if the Thailand couple are still together. He did finally get a job but I think he would have been content to let her work while he goofed off.

Not to mention, Birmingham is a large city, too.  It's not London, but its got a vibrant downtown area with plenty of restaurants and pubs that are popular with the younger crowd.  Moving Dad-to-be's social life to Birmingham (whatever social life he might have after the baby comes) makes far more sense than mom doing a 4 hour commute, even if she doesn't do it daily.

• Love 11

Just saw Cloncurry #2 (truck driver/Norway) - no cameo from the artist bartender? C'mon now. They keep telling me how few people there are there (and weren't there 2 real estate agents?)

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Yeah, I didn't get why they were moving to London if her job was in Birmingham.  That's crazy.  They could've gotten more for their money in Birmingham, and it's a nice city.  Peter needed to grow the fuck up.  And that last neighborhood looked kind of rough to me.

On 12/23/2021 at 11:30 AM, aghst said:

But they went on and on about this historic village, so well preserved.  You can find that everywhere in Europe, in prettier settings, better weather

Depends on your definition of prettier.  I thought Cloncurry was lovely.  And you get plenty of sun in the summer - when I was in Inverness in June, it was still really light at 11pm.

3 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I hope the kid never sees this episode and finds out how little daddy wanted him or her.

He really didn't look happy about the baby, that's for sure.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

And I laughed at the Scotland hunter, Mr History, wigging out over a "400 year old" stone wall. That's a blink in Scottish history. 

True, but that's still older than our actual country.  (Not of the continent, just of the country.) Perception of time is a relative thing.

• Love 4
On 12/17/2021 at 9:11 PM, ArtFossil said:

"Photographer" is the new "travel blogger." Total poseur. Funded by a trust fund/bank of Dad.

(“Estetics” [aesthetics] my ass.)

I agree...there was something very off putting about this woman. She seemed aloof and kind of entitled to me. She seems like the kind of person that never really worked a day in her life. There has to be more to the story about why she left London...maybe a failed romance? She seemed to be pretty full of herself. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

All 3 properties were long commutes. Maybe she doesn't commute daily. Agree that parenthood may be a shock to these "jetsetters".

There’s got to be something else, Google Maps indicates over 3 hours by car and 5 hours by train.  Maybe they’re letting her work at home or his income alone is enough for them.

Interesting that he only mentions pubs and wanting a young adult lifestyle while she says they’re not going to be jet-setting around.  If they really did plan this move before she got pregnant and they’re still doing it, they must be planning more than simply settling into family life.

Because if they’re going to be nesting a lot, might as well stay in San Francisco where she wouldn’t have that ridiculous commute.  But with the pandemic, maybe they’d both be working from home.  He certainly would since he says he’s in technology.

Do a few pub crawls but I would think anyone with a demanding job isn’t going to be spending hours each night at the pubs.  Maybe he or the producers couldn’t think of better things he was supposedly interested in doing.  There’s a lot more to London and Europe than pubs.

She specifically said no jet setting but again, why move to London and not go to Paris or other European cities when they have time off?  Well once the baby arrives she may demand more nesting but parents with toddlers will travel.

So in one of the interstitials, they visit a bakery chatting about all the breads and cakes.  The sales clerk is masked and they’re not.  Clearest sign that HHI doesn’t want the hunters or agents to mask on camera.

Since July, the Uk has removed all pandemic measures other than pushing vaccinations and tests. They were okay through the summer but then cases started climbing in the fall and now they’re hitting all time highs as Omicron is spreading there.  They still don’t have restrictions though scientists are advising the politicians to re-impose them.  This episode was probably filmed months ago but if that salesperson is wearing a mask, she probably would have preferred that they mask.

• Love 3