Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I agree about the white glasses, and was glad he wasn't wearing them in every scene.  And that made me wonder why he wore them at all.  Usually if you wear glasses, you wear them all the time, or you wear them just for reading. 

There just seemed to be something really strange about him and I also couldn't figure out why he chose those particular glasses.  I mean, did he actually think he looked good in them?  I guess he thought he looked "cool"?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I guess he thought he looked "cool"?

Bingo.  People wear glasses these days without corrective lenses, just for the look.  Having never had a pair of (necessary) glasses that didn't make my ears and nose hurt in less than an hour makes me think they're insane.  I guess if they have fake lenses they're not very heavy?

I got a second-hand headache just looking at the temples on his.

• Love 2
On 7/21/2016 at 9:44 PM, SmithW6079 said:

That was my thought too. He must love her very much to spend $575,000+ to let her sow her wild oats.

It's been months since I saw that one, but I'm pretty sure she mentioned that it was her money--from an inheritance, I think--and apparently she decided to spend it on herself.  So somebody loves her very much. 

2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

It's been months since I saw that one, but I'm pretty sure she mentioned that it was her money--from an inheritance, I think--and apparently she decided to spend it on herself.  So somebody loves her very much. 

Episode?  Oz to Paris?

She must have been sorely lacking in wild oats b/c she, according to public records, never relocated from Australia and promptly listed the apt with Adrian Leeds' service.  (See Leeds' listing link, above.)

And / or ... lacking in wild oats but not acting skills, lol ???

• Love 1

Between the two of them, speaking of the Netherlands couple, I couldn't decide who'd win an HHI Over-Actors Anonymous contest.  It'd be a tight competition.

Oh, but wait, what about the girls?  Loved the way one of them forcefully clammed up when asked to say a Dutch word during the episode.  But, naturally, in the outro / postscript, probably filmed a few days later, they were showing their skills off like crazy!

The couple moving to Warwickshire, England:

Dear Americans, from an American:

England is small and cramped!!!! Detached houses are by far the most expensive houses there!!! If you want an American-size house, find a new fucking job and move to Kansas or something.

• Love 12

Gouda husband was a jackass, plain and simple.  His overacting and budget brouhaha was a pain.  The agent's comment that the husband was negative was an understatement.  And,mother stupid glasses didn't fit and were crooked.  

• Love 6

Introvert goes to vet school in Glasgow (2015 episode):

Mother was trying to coax the daughter into living more in the city to meet and mingle. I liked the mother's statement:

"I'm her mother. I'm not worrying about being her best friend till, like, she's taking care of me."

It was easy to relate to both conflicting points of view of this duo. Mom needed to back off. Mom needed to push her daughter some. Daughter needed to try to be a little more outgoing. Daughter related to animals more than people, leave her be. 

Gouda husband wasn't so bad, though. He was paranoid about the budget now that they were down to a single income, but gave in to his wife's wishes once they excluded the expensive place (really nice, expensive place, which, at $1500 didn't fit their budget, but seemed decently priced), and her choice of home locations (Gouda). I thought both husband and wife were reasonable people. The specs were quirky, that was fine by me, but they seemed so ill fitting.

• Love 4
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 8:18 AM, Ohwell said:

"Helpless Baby Voice," indeed.  I don't know how anyone can listen to her for more than 30 seconds.

That about sent me over the edge.

Well, I went back four pages and didn't find this episode, so maybe the newlywed couple moving from Massachusetts to Lund, Sweden is old--but I'm dying to say this, so I piggybacked onto another voice complaint:

CORY HAS THE WORST VOCAL FRY!!   Ack, I don't even know how to replicate the way she pushed every sentence through a cheese grater, but it was painful.

(I guess I have to be fair and note that it wasn't as bad during the "epilogue."  Maybe the speculation about this and that exaggerated the ground glass effect?)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, candall said:

Well, I went back four pages and didn't find this episode, so maybe the newlywed couple moving from Massachusetts to Lund, Sweden is old--but I'm dying to say this, so I piggybacked onto another voice complaint:

CORY HAS THE WORST VOCAL FRY!!   Ack, I don't even know how to replicate the way she pushed every sentence through a cheese grater, but it was painful.

(I guess I have to be fair and note that it wasn't as bad during the "epilogue."  Maybe the speculation about this and that exaggerated the ground glass effect?)

Ha!  I watched my recording of it the other night, and that vocal fry was brutal!   You weren't the only one who found her voice painfully annoying.   The previous discussion is here - http://forums.previously.tv/topic/4148-house-hunters-international-all-around-the-world/?do=findComment&comment=2073669

Texas couple buying a home in Panama... When the wife said the perfectly nice wood kitchen cabinets in the third house looked 'tired' and needed to be 'updated'... I wanted to reach through my television and smack her!

If you don't like the style, fine, but stop with the "needs to be updated" crap. 

HGTV shows/episodes make me apoplectic most of the time.  I rarely watch this channel any more, and I used to be kind of an HGTV junkie.  I don't need my television shows to annoy me.  I have my real life for that.

• Love 11

Apologies for being shallow, but I couldn't even pay attention to the homes because I was distracted trying to figure out how much older the wife in Panama was than the husband.  She looked almost old enough to be his mother, and I shouldn't have been worrying about that.  I have a dear PE coach friend that has spent too much time in the Florida sun who is in the same boat.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 2
On ‎08‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:08 AM, mojito said:

Introvert goes to vet school in Glasgow (2015 episode):

Mother was trying to coax the daughter into living more in the city to meet and mingle. I liked the mother's statement:

"I'm her mother. I'm not worrying about being her best friend till, like, she's taking care of me."

It was easy to relate to both conflicting points of view of this duo. Mom needed to back off. Mom needed to push her daughter some. Daughter needed to try to be a little more outgoing. Daughter related to animals more than people, leave her be. 

Gouda husband wasn't so bad, though. He was paranoid about the budget now that they were down to a single income, but gave in to his wife's wishes once they excluded the expensive place (really nice, expensive place, which, at $1500 didn't fit their budget, but seemed decently priced), and her choice of home locations (Gouda). I thought both husband and wife were reasonable people. The specs were quirky, that was fine by me, but they seemed so ill fitting.

I liked the couple in Gouda, but was surprised that the wife gave up the expensive place so quickly.  I love eps in the Netherlands.  And now I know how to correctly pronounce Gouda, although I won't be doing that when I'm buying cheese at Food Lion, lol.  Plus, I want everyone to move to Gouda so that I can see more of hottie real estate agent.

Being the slightly introverted child of a social butterfly mother, I mostly sided with the daughter in the Glasgow episode, though the thing about no stairs was a bit much.  You really can only push so much someone to be more social before you get bloody annoying.  I loved seeing some nice places in Glasgow, especially in older buildings; reminded me of a movie I've seen where the character lived in a building with the most amazing Art Deco tiling and railings in the stairwell.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Watching a mini marathon this morning before the endless episodes of Fixer Upper come on.

I just saw a clothing designer and her hottie boyfriend moving to London with their 2 pomeranians.  She just had to have the Chelsea area despite the fact that her $4500 budget is from half to two thirds lower than the rents there.  She's very snobby and not very nice to the boyfriend.  He holds his own as a house renovator.  She forced him to move abroad.  The realtor, Toby, is pretty snarky and has me giggling.  He really didn't like them and was happy he was done with them.

They took the dogs house hunting with them and at one point the dog was sitting on someone's bed.. wha???  Luckily it was the one they chose despite seeing car tires out their front window.

She definitely looks 10 years older than the boyfriend.

• Love 1

NYGirl - just coming on here to comment that one of my pet peeves is when they take their dogs with them to look at houses.  I just can't believe it (and I say that as a dog lover/owner.)  I wouldn't want someone bringing their uninvited dogs into my house.  That woman was nasty to her boyfriend.

Re;  Gouda episode.  When the guy first came on with the glasses (he wasn't wearing them in his first scene) I thought it was a joke - like he was trying to be funny.  I thought both of them were annoying.

And once again we have the "I want charm something that shouts I'm in Netherlands, London, etc but it must have a master bedroom 40 x 50 feet with it's own bath with double sinks, an American side by side refrigerator, stainless steel appliances, lots and lots of closets, oh and did I say I want authentic charm!!!!"

• Love 4

I just can't believe it (and I say that as a dog lover/owner.)  I wouldn't want someone bringing their uninvited dogs into my house.

Gosh, yes.  I adore dogs of all shapes and sizes but I would certainly NOT want one brought to a showing.  Dogs have the unfortunate habit of wanting to leave their mark and you'd never know if they had piddled somewhere!

And don't even get me started on people who step into the shower or tub with their shoes on!  Born in a barn much?

• Love 1

Thanks for the heads up Magemaud.  I knew it was a rerun but I hadn't seen it before.  I knew there'd be posts on it but I don't know how to find them.  You found it so easily.

The previous posters said all that I was thinking.

Just saw the Netherlands episode, and mostly agree with the previous comments posted WRT the husband coming across as less than pleasant.  I really thought he was sort of a jerk when he muttered under his breath that she didn't technically have to sign off on the papers of what they would choose.  I loved the first house, but it was over budget and there was no way he was going to cave on that.  What I thought was funny was how the wife loved that house so much and liked the kitchen/dining room/living room arrangement which was one big room.  She also said that the girls could share one of the 3 bedrooms and she would take the 2nd bedroom as a sitting room.  Then when they toured the high rise apartment, she complained that the kitchen/dining room/living room arrangement which was open like the first house, didn't have enough separation.  Of course, she didn't want that place anyway, but she totally contradicted herself on that type of lay out.  In the 3rd house which they chose, she stated that she really wanted the girls to have their own bedrooms.  I'm yelling at the TV at this point and telling her to either make up her mind, or remember what the producers told her she needed to gripe about.

Personally, I thought both of them were a little selfish.  She was the one who instigated the move and seems to dictate it would be one of those I want what I want things, but he was just as much a stickler about budget, but I saw his point since he was the only one earning a salary.  By the time the episode was over, I didn't care about either one of them.    

• Love 4

I thought the Netherlands couple was awful, the wife much more than the husband. She was just nasty. The place they chose, didn't the realtor say it was a 20-minute walk to the train? To me, the one with the commute has the final say on how far they're willing to commute. 

The Costa Rica couple were annoying too. The second apartment with the window in the bedroom that kept the wife whining about privacy -- does she not understand the concept of drapes and curtains?

And I cringe every time I hear Americans talk about "authentic" or "traditional" in a foreign country, especially when speaking to a native of that country. It's embarrassing. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

And I cringe every time I hear Americans talk about "authentic" or "traditional" in a foreign country, especially when speaking to a native of that country. It's embarrassing. 

That really annoys me to no end.

• Love 2

And I always wonder where they get their information on what is "authentic" or "traditional".  From movies made in Hollywood?  From TV?  Do they even do any research?  It IS embarrassing to hear them spout off when they clearly a) don't know a darned thing about the real estate in the counter and b) only want an Americanized version of the "traditional" home.

• Love 6

Wasn't it the Netherlands wife who wanted an authentic Dutch house and then when the realtor found one for them, she crawfished on that desire and admitted that she didn't realize what that meant.  Yes, I think it's time for the producers of this show to focus on some new HHI wants or tell the participants to educate themselves about how people really live in those countries.

4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

And I always wonder where they get their information on what is "authentic" or "traditional".  From movies made in Hollywood?  From TV?  Do they even do any research?  It IS embarrassing to hear them spout off when they clearly a) don't know a darned thing about the real estate in the counter and b) only want an Americanized version of the "traditional" home.

Or when they're in England they want "country charm."

• Love 1

I liked the Michigan to Isle of Wight couple, with the four kids.  She'll be teaching math and he's enrolled at university in Southampton.  Too bad that first house was so far from his ferry and her school -- it would have been perfect, but they would have needed two cars. 

They did choose a nice place -- they'll be a bit cramped, but it's only for a couple of years.

• Love 1

AuntiePam, I thought it was interesting that the realtor said the reason there is no bridge between the Isle of Wight and the mainland is to limit the number of tourists because their infrastructure would be overwhelmed.    

• Love 1

Loved the couple looking for a vacation home on the coast of Spain tonight.  The lived in another non-coast town in Spain.  The husband wanted to be right on the water. (I can't remember the name of either town...they were all like 6 words long.)

They had a very easy rapport with one another, which made their squabbles fun rather than annoying, but I was totally on the side of the pro-beach husband as opposed to the city-loving wife.  Why carry another mortgage when the house is exactly the same as your first one?  

Edited by Albino
  • Love 2

Spain episode: I like the couple, but I was confused on the location. They currently lived in Spain and wanted a vacation home at/near the beach for under $200k. From the map, it looked like their main home was already fairly close to the coast...maybe about an hour or so drive.  But they wanted to be near a beach that was 6 hours away and in an expensive area? Did I miss why they desired that specific location?  They could have gotten a beachfront apartment near (2-3 hour drive) their main home for less than $200k.

Edited by juliet73
1 minute ago, juliet73 said:

Spain episode: I like the couple, but I was confused on the location. They currently lived in Spain and wanted a vacation home at/near the beach for under $200k. From the map, it looked like their main home was already fairly close to the coast...maybe about an hour or so drive.  But they wanted to be near a beach that was 6 hours away and in an expensive area? Did I miss why they desired that specific location?  They could have could have gotten a beachfront apartment near (2-3 hour drive) their main home for less than $200k.

IIRC, they wanted to be near the US Naval station because the husband is retired and they can still use all the "amenities" on base - gym, pool, etc. etc.  Also it would make a good spot for people stationed at the base to rent for a week.

Which reminds me...why was the wife so worried about grocery stores when they can still shop at the base's PX which will probably have more than the "basics" the local shops had?

I liked them too, and I'm glad they didn't go for the place on the beach that was over budget.  It may have been close to the beach, with wonderful views, but that rocky breakfront wouldn't be easy to navigate.  I assume there were spaces where someone could get down to the water without scrambling over those huge rocks.  ??

The episode was almost an ad for the military.  Stay in for twenty years, and look what kind of retirement you can have!  I liked his focus on family, a slower pace.  Huzzah for getting out of the rat race. 

I liked the Spain couple too.  However, I did laugh at the end when they were discussing their "decision."  They sounded like they had memorized a whole bunch of lines and were trying very hard to make sure they got them just right.  Did I hear something about her having a job teaching?  

I was totally on the side of the pro-beach husband as opposed to the city-loving wife.  Why carry another mortgage when the house is exactly the same as your first one?  

Not only that but the wife kept harping about being within walking distance to shops. And one little convenience store wasn't going to cut it for her. I don't get it. If this is only supposed to be a weekend getaway house why do you have to be near big shops? Can't you just bring whatever food and supplies you need for 2 days with you on the rare occasion you visit? It's not like it's their permanent home, and even she kept pointing out they would only be there on the odd weekend and a couple weeks in the summer. So does she plan to spend all her vacation time shopping?

it looked like their main home was already fairly close to the coast...maybe about an hour or so drive. 

Their current home is six hours from the coast. They started out living near the base when he was in active duty but then she got a job further inland which is why they moved six hours away. 

20 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Their current home is six hours from the coast. They started out living near the base when he was in active duty but then she got a job further inland which is why they moved six hours away. 

Do you know what town their main home was in?  My in laws live outside Madrid and have a vacation home in Oropesa del Mar. It's about a 4.5 hour drive so that's how I was basing this couple's travel/distance to the east coast. The Mr and I have been discussing buying something in Spain in the future so I'm curious more than usual to see where people live. 

42 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

They talked about renting it out so it's entirely possible the shops were to make it more attractive for people who would be looking at rentals.

I think she even mentioned that point.

Still . . . people wanting to rent a beach house want a house near the beach, not in the city center. If they're going to be sharing the house with renters than I assume the renters will be short-term, not long-term leasing. Meaning the renters themselves will probably only be renting for a week. And can gather whatever food and supplies they need in one trip and spend the rest of their time at the beach. If you're renting a place to spend a weekend or a week at the beach it doesn't make sense to rent a place in town so you can be near shops if you plans to spend most of your time at the beach.

They went back and forth on how they were going to rent it because at one point he even mentioned wanting to be close to the base to improve rental opportunities which indicates more long term    rentals.

From Caravaca, Spain to Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain. That was kind of confusing. Of course, I don't know their business or anything like that, but I kept wondering, "Why doesn't she work closer to Puerto de Santa Maria or just not work at all?" Clearly, being near the base was the most important thing because they currently live only around 60 miles from the Mediterranean coast. You'd think she could get a teaching job near the military base. I got the feeling maybe they didn't speak Spanish; perhaps investing the time and effort in doing so might open up more teaching opportunities outside the base but closer to Puerto de Santa Maria. And save them the hassle of a 6-hour commute to the base and second home and maintaining two places. 

But I know, this is about the house. I found neither the homes nor the scenery appealing. Different strokes.

• Love 3
On 8/19/2016 at 0:21 AM, Albino said:

IIRC, they wanted to be near the US Naval station because the husband is retired and they can still use all the "amenities" on base - gym, pool, etc. etc.  Also it would make a good spot for people stationed at the base to rent for a week.

Which reminds me...why was the wife so worried about grocery stores when they can still shop at the base's PX which will probably have more than the "basics" the local shops had?

Strangely enough because of SOFA(Status of Forces Agreement), while  retirees can use many base amenities on European bases, others, like the messhall, PX and Commissary are sometimes off limits. This happened to me recently in Ramstein. I was about to use my benefit of free Space A travel to come home to the USA and I tried to by a cord for my Iphone. I got to the register only to realize that I was not entitled to use the PX at all. We also couldn't get a rental car on Ramstein, and  had to go off  base. I assume they were near Rota or Moron AFB? SOFA does not allow us to use the PX but we can use the smaller shopette there.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mojito said:

From Caravaca, Spain to Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain. That was kind of confusing. Of course, I don't know their business or anything like that, but I kept wondering, "Why doesn't she work closer to Puerto de Santa Maria or just not work at all?" Clearly, being near the base was the most important thing because they currently live only around 60 miles from the Mediterranean coast. You'd think she could get a teaching job near the military base. I got the feeling maybe they didn't speak Spanish; perhaps investing the time and effort in doing so might open up more teaching opportunities outside the base but closer to Puerto de Santa Maria. And save them the hassle of a 6-hour commute to the base and second home and maintaining two places. 

But I know, this is about the house. I found neither the homes nor the scenery appealing. Different strokes.

She is the only one working and they had just decided to move and that is where she got the job, so initially it had nothing to do with the base because he was already retired before they decided to move to Europe. The above link explains more of their situation. 

Good luck to the Spain couple, but the last thing I would want to do is be a landlord in a foreign country, having to familiarize myself with the rental laws and whatever else in that country.  Hell, it can be a pain in the ass right here in the U.S. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1
On 8/9/2016 at 7:33 AM, Peanutbuttercup said:

I liked the couple moving to Uruguay last night, despite the fact that one of them was of the "death is lurking everywhere, waiting to snatch our children, God forbid they be near water or a window!" sort. Except he apparently forgot where death is really lurking: in the backseat of his car, where he's apparently perfectly fine with having his son ride around without a freaking seatbelt.

On 8/9/2016 at 8:10 AM, biakbiak said:

Kids that age take off seat belts all the time because it annoys them. I didn't think he was crazy about the kids, he wanted a yard for them to play in. He wasn't complaining about the pool for the one house he was saying the other side of the house was on a deep drop off. They got a house with a pool that had no fence and didn't have a problem. 

They were less annoying than some of the gay couples on the show, but I had to roll my eyes at the bald husband's "death is right there!" or whatever he said about the third house. I thought he was a little over the top with the kids and needing to see them every hour of every day when they were in the house together. And maybe it's my childlessness showing, but when did what the kids want become the way adults make decisions?

Eye rolling was also necessary for bald husband's insistence that he wanted to become a screenwriter and could only write in a foreign country. Besides, it's all a lie any way (at least for the show). Tim, the bald husband, ran for political office several times in Georgia, and apparently, he and husband Eric still run their coaching business, Prologo Consulting. Also, from the articles about Tim's political endeavors, it appears they were married a couple of years ago in Virginia, not Georgia, so he didn't just propose to Eric. However, kudos to HGTV for showing two masculine men kissing. 

At least the kids were legit. From Eric's bio on his site: 

I am the father of two small kids, Ignacio and Eva, they fill my life with joy and passion and purpose and I am honored to be their “Dad”.

• Love 1
On 8/18/2016 at 6:27 PM, AuntiePam said:

I liked the Michigan to Isle of Wight couple, with the four kids.  She'll be teaching math and he's enrolled at university in Southampton.  Too bad that first house was so far from his ferry and her school -- it would have been perfect, but they would have needed two cars. 

They did choose a nice place -- they'll be a bit cramped, but it's only for a couple of years.

On 8/18/2016 at 10:54 PM, laredhead said:

AuntiePam, I thought it was interesting that the realtor said the reason there is no bridge between the Isle of Wight and the mainland is to limit the number of tourists because their infrastructure would be overwhelmed.    

I liked them at first -- mostly for the "we told the kids this is what we're doing" (except they were almost apologetic for not putting the kids' desires above their own) -- but at the end, I came to dislike the wife. They picked the house close to her job -- that she could drive to. Meanwhile, he has to walk into town, take a train to the ferry, take the ferry to the mainland then a train to campus, and then reverse it all. According to Google Maps, the University of Southampton is at least 90 minutes from Newport, the town they moved to. 

• Love 1

Couple buying a house in Brisbane, Australia - did I miss it or did they not explain why the husband needed to ride his bike to work, even if it was going to be a 30-minute bike ride? That's an hour a day on his bike - was there a special reason he didn't want to just get a car? Couldn't afford one, or just wanted to be "green?"

I also noticed the couple kept referring to closets as "built-ins." LOL. I guess that's not a requirement of bedrooms down under. "Oh look they have these nice built-ins, that's convenient." If regular "built in" closets are considered a bonus down there imagine what they'd think of our ginormous walk-ins here in the states.

32 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Couple buying a house in Brisbane, Australia - did I miss it or did they not explain why the husband needed to ride his bike to work, even if it was going to be a 30-minute bike ride? That's an hour a day on his bike - was there a special reason he didn't want to just get a car? Couldn't afford one, or just wanted to be "green?"

I wondered the same thing.  He mentioned he found some alternative routes so he was able to shave off some time.  I imagined him riding his bike took work wearing a suit, etc. When they showed him riding home from work in shorts and t-shirt, I didn't feel bad. 

When they showed him riding home from work in shorts and t-shirt, I didn't feel bad. 

And, honestly, how much of this is just plain made up drama.  Who knows if he was riding home from work or just out toodling around the neighborhood for the photo op.

• Love 1
On June 1, 2016 at 0:50 AM, KLovestoShop said:

These spoiled youngsters have no idea what things used to be like.  My mom got her first wringer washer when I was a toddler. She got it because I contracted polio and she needed to stay home with me rather than taking two buses to the laundromat. It was on wheels and the hoses were connected at the kitchen sink.  It was considered super cool to even own a washer.  

Maybe these people need to take a trip to India and see their version of a laundromat.  It's dug into the ground, with concrete walls and floors, all filled with very dirty water.  They take their clothes in there, stand in the water and beat the clothes on the walls.  I was overwhelmed with emotion when I saw that.   I sometimes think that these over privileged people would benefit from a shot of reality and see how others live.  

Wringer washer kid here.  After that, when I was old enough, I carted a wagon to the laundromat.   To this day, I feel like having a washer/dryer anywhere in your home is a luxury.   Damn ingrates.  

• Love 5