Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: Our Decay

• Start Topic

Emma, Snow, David, Regina, Robin, Henry and Hook continue to search for a way to free everyone from the Underworld. At the mercy of Hades, Gold creates a portal to Storybrooke, which transports Belle, Zelena and Baby Hood to the Underworld. While Zelena and Regina get into a sibling squabble, Belle is reunited with Rumple only to learn some tremendously shocking news that will change her life forever. Meanwhile, Snow and David hopelessly attempt to send a message from the Underworld to their son, Neal. In flashbacks, Hades learns about Zelena’s very special spell and pays her a visit in Oz with the intention of striking an alliance, but finds himself with more than just a partner in crime.

(edited)

That was a little . . . odd.  I didn’t hate it, really, and I was far less bored and annoyed than I expected to be during a Belle/Zelena/Hades-centric, but it was just strange.

And, well, Rumple is a despicable person.  But, he was spot-on in that conversation with Belle.

Um . . . bwhahaha.  Henry has Author Fugue states, where he writes all this?  Hahahahahaha..

Zelena was born on the United States tax day.  For some reason, that also makes me want to laugh.

Edited by Mari
  • Love 9

Wow. so... I guess I kinda... called it? Though instead of Persephone - they're using Zelena as the love interest. 

who wants to take bets that Belle can get over Rumple's lies before they get back to Storybrooke?

• Love 3
(edited)

Rumple sucks and I feel bad for Belle even though I'm glad she now knows the truth.

He totally sucks, and maybe I'm a little unfeeling, but I don't feel sorry for Belle.

All the signs were there--and she just kept ignoring them and blaming everyone else for what he did. I hope she and the baby are safe, and the baby is happy, but, well, Belle?  

It was just his nature, and Belle repeatedly ignored any evidence that didn't' fit with what she wanted..

Edited by Mari
  • Love 7
(edited)

I enjoy Zelena and tonight’s episode allowed me to appreciate her sad backstory and Rebecca Mader’s excellent performance, although I always look forward her one-liners (“It’s like a broom with wheels!  and “We’ll see what gingham looks like with blood spatter!” are my two favorites tonight.)

I think Hades’ obsessive love for Zelena may be the most frightening thing about him.  Unfortunately, it seems like they have to show the blue fiery hair in every episode. 

Rumple was finally honest with Belle about their relationship.  Belle has been in a fantasy world thinking Rumple can become an idealized version of someone that she thinks she should have as her true love.  Finally she has to face the fact that he is the beast and the man, and she cannot have one without the other. 

And did anyone else pick up on Henry speaking for the show writers tonight?  Heh.

Edited by Worsel
  • Love 5

Um . . . bwhahaha.  Henry has Author Fugue states, where he writes all this?  Hahahahahaha..

Makes you wonder what is really going on in the OUAT writers room

• Love 3

Belle is too stupid to live.

I'm impressed that rumple came clean right away, glad he's stopped pretending and has starting being as honest about the kind of person he is.

Not near enough Hook and Emma.

I enjoyed Zelena. I thought Mader looked beautiful in this episode and really knocked it out of the park when she was giving up pistachio.

• Love 4

The last thing I expected was for Rumple to come out and tell Belle everything. I'm glad he's owning that he'll never change. I'm wondering if my speculation that Belle will end up helping him will come to pass.

Not buying the whole Hades confessing his true love for Zelena thing. I just smell manipulation, how he kept bringing up that she's alone. Plus, that was the quickest profession of love I've ever seen. But you know....this show!

• Love 2

Wow. I actually liked that episode...and I even felt sympathy for Zelena? Wat?

Rumple is awful as usual, but I did enjoy hearing him drop some truth bombs on Belle. Belle is the smartest dumb person around. 

So, we have teen Henry. Oh joy. 

• Love 3

That was definitely some truth bomb dropping in that conversation between Belle and Rumple.  I wish this could've happened a long time ago, but I suppose that either way it'll just go back to Belle "believing in" Rumple or whatever she wants to call it.

I was definitely feeling the Zades love during their cute bike ride ... that a scene between the Wicked Witch and Hades should be cute is an accomplishment.  Then of course Hades had to screw it up by babbling about true love.  Too soon, man.  I can't even decide if he was trying to be manipulative or is just obsessive.  Either way I don't blame Zelena for noping out of the conversation, but it was a little bit much that she never wanted to see him again.  A part of me is honestly rooting for them ...

Soooo.  When exactly will Robin "know" Pistachio enough to give her a real name?  When she's 2?  10?  25?

• Love 6

I suppose it's fitting that Hades and Zelena spend so much time turning into puffs of smoke, because their love story feels like it was cooked up in a hotbox. I can see a That 70s Show conversation between Eric Foreman and Kelso, or something, giggling about how the Wicked Witch of the West would totally be the true love of the ruler of the Underworld.

Doesn't help that I find Mader one of the weaker links of the cast, and Germann barely up to her level, so selling this story was always going to be a longshot. I'm not even sure Robert Carlyle could've done it (as Hades or Zelena).

Puffs of smoke, I tell you.

• Love 4

I did not expect to enjoy this episode, but actually really did!  I very much enjoyed Rumple giving Belle some home truths, and Zelena calling Robin on his abandoning their infant daughter to go on a rescue mission for someone he barely knows. Robin was pretty well used in this ep as well. Also enjoyed the Snow/Charming bits and Snow showing some of her old toughness. Zelena/Hades was the weakest element, and even that was fun! This may be the first Zelena episode I've genuinely liked. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Has the board been acting out for anyone else?

The episode was surprisingly good. What i'm getting is that they don't even need a stupid boat to get out of the UW. All they need is straw spun into gold and Rumple's blood.

I will give Belle the benefit of the doubt until I see what she does next week. I could not watch that scene in the library. 

I liked Zelena a lot. I can't stand this version of Hades.

Shout out to Zelena on the name issue. At least the show can still make fun of itself when it's called for.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 1

This was an okay episode. The pacing was off again. The writers really are on the redeem-Zelena train this arc. I don't mind her as long as she doesn't whine too much. There were some sweet moments with her and the baby. Regina was quite likable too. Poor Robin. At least he was back this episode, huh.

I'm not sold on the Hades/Zelena romance, but he does seem to love her. Underbrooke as a grand romantic gesture--hah! Hades backstory wth Zues is completely unlike anything in Greek mythology. Not sure how I feel about that. How can a god's heart be stopped? 

Dorothy was a waste of time. What was the point of having her back? I hope we don't get a flashback of her in Kansas. I couldn't care less.

Henry is writing the book in his sleep? Best job ever! It was very sweet when Emma read out loud from the book about her parents' phone call to Snowflake. Awww... Not enough Hook and Emma, but I'm glad to see Hook's sass is back.

Ugh Rumple. At least he told Belle truth. I still feel sorry for Belle. I hope she kicks his ass to the curb for real this time. But, with this Show...

• Love 2

True, Hades and Zelena have/had similar goals and temperaments. I don't know that I buy Hades giving up his revenge against his brother so quickly, even if that's what they intended to show. Yeah, I know the power of true love on this show. It was just a little too quick for me. I guess I prefer the slow burn when it comes to romance :)

• Love 1
(edited)

"Oh god, not Marion". Bwahah - this episode was worth it for that alone.

I definitely ship Wicked Hell. I loved the whole bike scene. Adorable evil. Who knew?

Regina has been surprisingly tolerable and dare I say, like able, this arc. It's like a director, Lana and the writers finally decided to tone down the crazy.

Way to own who you are, Rumple. slow clap. Please, listen to him Belle. That is some serious truth he dropped on you there.

I loved Emma reading the baby story. Bittersweet.

I could have used some more Killian and Emma. But I always can, so, there is me owning my truth.

Edited by Selina K
  • Love 5

I feel odd. I was sympathizing with Zelena and liked Regina.

I don't buy that Hades' love was genuine. I was yelling at Zelena, "Don't trust him!" I still think he's trying to stir up love in her heart so he can take it and use it for the spell. So I was cheering at her when she walked away from him. I was totally on Team Zelena with Robin. She's right, they did take her away from the baby, only to then ditch the baby and head off down to the Underworld after some guy Robin barely knows. His reasoning was nonsense. What a newborn infant needs is security and bonding with its parents. She's too young to know that her father is setting an example and wanting to be a hero (ugh, people quit talking about wanting to be a hero. Do or do not, there is no wanting). Yeah, I'm sure when she's older and suffering from emotional issues because she didn't develop any kind of parental attachment in those critical early days she'll be really inspired to hear about how Dear Old Dad left her behind to go bring Uncle Killian back from the Underworld.

If Belle gets back with Rumple after this, I'll have to write her off entirely. Unless maybe she goes full villain. Dark Belle could be very interesting. But she can't stay with him and pretend to be good.

• Love 4
(edited)

I totally called that Storybrooke was built for Zelena. (Yes, spoilers helped.)

Pros:

* Dang it, show! You made me feel sorry for Zelena. They made her more like a full character now.

* That Rumpbelle scene was totally unexpected. I thought Rumple would have kept the secret about the second child, much more the fact he's still the Dark One. I can't believe this show just recognized that Belle loves the beast. The headcanons of this board are slowly becoming true...

* The Oz stuff, though brief, was appealing. I laughed out loud when I saw Toto.

* I didn't suspect Blue to be Zelena, simply because she's that shady all the time. Pretty funny.

* "Oh, god. Not Marian!"

Cons:

* Wicked Hot seemed really compatible, but it was very rushed. Someone as cold-hearted and revenge-bent as Zelena wouldn't fall for a stranger that quickly. That being said, I'm still okay with it. It just executed oddly.

* Shut up, Henry. I don't give a flip about your teenager issues.

* Bringing a baby to the Underworld, scraping a baby's face with magic and then haunting one was a little creepy.

* Didn't care for Dorothy. She was a little too... Merida-ish. 

* How the heck is bringing a baby into the forest safer? Robin - you're too stupid to live.

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. It was fun and I'm glad Zelena is back.

I don't buy that Hades' love was genuine.

That was my assessment up until the ending. The Underbrooke reveal made it slightly more ambiguous. But yeah, don't trust Hades, Zelena. 

I was totally on Team Zelena with Robin. She's right, they did take her away from the baby, only to then ditch the baby and head off down to the Underworld after some guy Robin barely knows. His reasoning was nonsense. What a newborn infant needs is security and bonding with its parents. She's too young to know that her father is setting an example and wanting to be a hero

So much this. Zelena is actually a smarter parent than Robin. This show is in a world where the Wicked Witch has better parenting sense than Robin Hood. I don't understand this.

The writers really are on the redeem-Zelena train this arc.

This episode got me on that train. I sympathize with Zelena's trust issues. After all that rejection from Cora, her adoptive father, the Oz witches, Rumple and Oz's people, it makes sense. Hades walks in and promises her all the love in the world, but at the cost of what she wants most. Then with the Pistachio drama, Robin remains protective over the baby like he's going to take it away from her. Oh, and Regina the "hero", who's trying to preach goodness, is still a hypocrite. There's definitely room for questioning who to trust for her. (Coming from her perspective.) 

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4
(edited)

I remember thinking, when OUAT first started, that it couldn't last long because eventually they would run out of fairy tales to twist. They sure ran out of fairy tales, but how wrong I was about that being the end. Here we are, with Hades and the wicked witch of the west as star-crossed loves and by the way, the witch also banged Robin Hood. Meanwhile, Snow White haunts her child from a phone booth in the underworld. It wasn't a horrible episode, but in so many ways, it was like, how the eff did we get to this point??

I was, however, amused by the masking of the baby bump with a baby while also gestating a fictional baby. Not sure I've seen that before.

At least Killian finally had an episode free of emotional and physical torture?

Edited by Randomosity
  • Love 12
(edited)

Color me shocked, but this was one of the better episodes of 5B.

Soooo. When exactly will Robin "know" Pistachio enough to give her a real name? When she's 2? 10? 25?

Based on the amount of screen time Robin gets per episode...probably never. Speaking of Robin's absence, did no one bother to ask him where he's been for the past few episodes? He randomly appeared back with the gang like nothing happened.

OK. That was spooky. Are A&E finally reading this board?

With Zelena saying "Marian" would be a terrible baby name and Rumple dropping truth bombs on Belle, it kind of seemed like it for a few seconds.

At least Killian finally had an episode free of emotional and physical torture?

I don't know, he seemed fairly tortured by Henry's terrible sleep-writing. Just when I thought I couldn't love Killian any more than I already do, they go and have him make fun of Henry's nonexistent writing abilities. Thank you, Hook. Thank you.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 10

My first thought was how dumb Regina, Robin and Zelena were walking through the woods looking for Belle and the baby. Where's the first place you'd expect Belle to hide? THE LIBRARY! Come ON brain trust! Of course, for plot reasons Belle did inexplicably wander the woods with the baby. How about trying Granny's or the Loft next time Belle.

Loved Hook's snark at Henry's breakfast report...didn't the last writer actually write with the pen vs just sleep it out?

I thought the episode was boring and unnecessary, if Underbrooke was built for Zelena, why wasn't he trying to get her there before now? He wasn't even trying to get her there. Hades in love makes no sense after what we've seen since the premiere. It just feels like filler.

• Love 4

Based on the amount of screen time Robin gets per episode...probably never. Speaking of Robin's absence, did no one bother to ask him where he's been for the past few episodes? He randomly appeared back with the gang like nothing happened.

He was probably off in the forest. Apparently that's the only place he's ever felt home (?).

• Love 1
(edited)

My first thought was how dumb Regina, Robin and Zelena were walking through the woods looking for Belle and the baby. Where's the first place you'd expect Belle to hide? THE LIBRARY! Come ON brain trust!

But they headed right for Zelena's farmhouse. They're clever only when it's convenient.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

I'm actually kind of impressed with how they handled Rumple and Belle's reunion, and her already finding out everything.  He's still an awful person, but I'm glad he's just like "Listen, I love you, but I love the power.  I've always been like this and I will never change.  And that is probably part of the reason you are attracted to me, even if you don't want to admit it."  Because at this point, they really either need to have Belle a) end it with Rumple for good or b) accept him and his evil behavior. Because this back and forth is so, so boring.

Zelena is back and Rebecca Mader is still delightfully campy, although she did good in the few moments were it required to be more serious.  I have no idea what to make of this new "love" between her and Hades.  I actually think Hades is being sincere on some levels, but I still wonder if he plans to use her baby to go back and time and take out Zeus.  I just have to think he has some kind of other motive besides just being in love with her.

So, Henry being the author means he writes stuff, but doesn't remember when he does it.  It just shows up suddenly.  I did chuckle over Hook suddenly be a book critic, with him complaining about the food descriptions.  He'd hate the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

They're just going to cart Robin off to the woods with the baby?  I guess they were barely using him anyway, but I kind of feel bad for Sean Maguire at this point.

I loved that while Snow freaking over being considered "regulars' in the Underbrooke diner, Charming was just chowing down on the toast and didn't even notice that line at first.  

• Love 3

I'm confused about the timeline here. The caption said "many years ago" at the beginning. But Dorothy was an adult, so I guess the previous flashback in which Dorothy "killed" Zelena and Zelena ended up taking over Oz was many, many years ago. So where did this fit against the curse? Was it during the curse and Zelena just magically kept herself looking young? Does the pendant have anti-aging properties?

I wanted to know how intrepid forest tracker Robin was going to track a baby who's not ambulatory. Anyone could be carrying it (did Zelena tell them it was Belle who had it?). Can he tell from someone's footprints on a street that they're carrying a baby? Was he expecting the baby to break open her rattle and leave a trail of rattle beads behind so he could find her?

I hope this is the end of whiny Zelena because Rebecca Mader is absolutely lovely when she smiles, and her laugh is delightful. I'm on board with her redemption train if they can keep her around as the snarky voice of the audience minus the "poor me" whining. Though it does sound like they've raised her body count significantly (offscreen) if Hades was so pleased with her. They really must be reading our boards, so they don't want us to wonder why she can't be trusted and village slaughterer Regina is hailed as a hero.

• Love 4

I know I am probably going to be in the minority but I liked the episode. I thought Zelena and Hades story made a sort of sense considering who Zelena was and is. The show did a similar thing with Regina awhile back while she was still the Evil Queen and gave her a chance at happiness but she would have to give up her quest for revenge. I guess Regiba and Zelena are similar because they both made the same choice.

I also kinda liked the convo between Rumple and Belle. Rumple is who he is and his asshattyness is not a new development. He has been one pretty much since the get go. Belle has been blind not to see that and that she might have made Rumple the best version of himself but he is what he is and there is a part of her that loved him gor that.

I'll be glad when Emma stops looking washed out. Get that girl her makeup and fake eyelashes back.

I'm actually liking the more subdued makeup for Emma. It's more realistic.

• Love 9

Kick ass freedom fighter Dorothy!?  Oh, please, let her show up again!

Hades and the Witch of the West got the hots for each other?  This show is just shipping everybody, ain't they?

How much do you want to bet Snow and David's call to past Emma is going to sound more like screaming and sobbing?

And, once again, The Blue Fairy is goddamn useless.

(edited)

I'm confused about the timeline here. The caption said "many years ago" at the beginning. But Dorothy was an adult, so I guess the previous flashback in which Dorothy "killed" Zelena and Zelena ended up taking over Oz was many, many years ago. So where did this fit against the curse? Was it during the curse and Zelena just magically kept herself looking young? Does the pendant have anti-aging properties?

When Dorothy first appeared as a child, wasn't it when Regina was first learning magic and Snow was still a child? So this flashback likely took place right before the curse. (Of course, we'll probably see Dorothy present time the same age, and A&E will twist themselves in knots to explain, like always)

Edited by snarkastic
  • Love 2

I'll be glad when Emma stops looking washed out. Get that girl her makeup and fake eyelashes back.

You want the spiders to attack their eyelids again? These women are so beautiful naturally that they don't need all that unnecessary makeup.

• Love 11

I think jmo is so gorgeous just the way she is. I'm so happy she asked for Emma to have more natural makeup. It makes sense given where they are anyway.

• Love 1
These women are so beautiful naturally that they don't need all that unnecessary makeup.

Yeah, I found myself thinking tonight how beautiful Emma was looking. She looked very fresh and radiant. She also looks at least five years younger without the spiders and dark gunk around her eyes.

I'm not sure I'd think that haunting a baby with his parents' voices would be a good thing for the kid. More likely, it would give him some kind of complex.

Kick ass freedom fighter Dorothy!?

Kick ass freedom fighter Dorothy still wearing gingham. That was one of the more fun costumes they've had, turning the traditional Dorothy costume into some kind of medieval battle dress.

• Love 3

I think jmo is so gorgeous just the way she is. I'm so happy she asked for Emma to have more natural makeup. It makes sense given where they are anyway.

I thought she looked very pale, like perhaps she was sick or tired. Or maybe they were hoping to show the ordeal taking it's toll.

You want the spiders to attack their eyelids again? These women are so beautiful naturally that they don't need all that unnecessary makeup.

Speaking of spiders, you could have a bloody tarantula come crawling off Hook's head and be none the wiser. You are PAST due for a haircut, sailor. I'm begging over here. Bring it back to the season 3 levels of perfection - or anything shorter. Pleeeease!!!

• Love 4

I forgot Dorothy was in the episode already. Meh.

I wouldn't be surprised if they cut some of her parts in this episode. Her line readings in the first scene were really, really bad.

Speaking of spiders, you could have a bloody tarantula come crawling off Hook's head and be none the wiser. You are PAST due for a haircut, sailor.

Part of me wonders if Colin secretly landed a role in an 80s rockstar biopic, so he's slowly growing out a mullet.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

When Dorothy first appeared as a child, wasn't it when Regina was first learning magic and Snow was still a child? So this flashback likely took place right before the curse. 

Yes, before Dorothy appeared in the episode Kansas, Zelena was watching Rumple train Regina, so Dorothy's first appearance was when Snow was still a child. 

Speaking of spiders, you could have a bloody tarantula come crawling off Hook's head and be none the wiser. You are PAST due for a haircut, sailor. I'm begging over here. Bring it back to the season 3 levels of perfection - or anything shorter. Pleeeease!!!

I've got to admit, I like the floppy hair. Deckhand Hook's 'do was my favorite.

• Love 1

Ok, this was definitely a weird episode, but good. I sympathized with Zelena. I found Hades/Zelena cute? That scene with the bike was more romantic than any of the OQ scenes and I thought the actors really sold it in the last scene. 

I wish Snow & Charming would've focused more on the time they lost with Emma. It was a good time to do it but they just smiled at her. 

I really felt for Zelena when she was giving up nameless Pistachio. That's the kind of emotion I want to see from the Charmings towards Emma (like in the pilot). You lost 28 years! That's sad as heck. Cry, don't just smile for once! 

Rumpel was so truthful to Belle, it was weird. Wise up for once, Belle! You're like the classic smart person that gets dumb when in love :P Or just admit that you love DO Rumpel. 

Regina is still being likeable 4 episodes in? I may now believe in real magic. 

• Love 4