Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Where Are They Now? Melissa and Ashley

• Start Topic

long term, I still think both Melissa and Ashley are successful. Neither is 600lbs any longer and they have kept the bulk of the weight off. They've also both become more self aware and more able to say "woah, gotta do something now!" which is something they lacked in the past.

For Melissa, we have followed her journey so closely for so long. We've seen her at her highest and her lowest, and now she seems to be at a low again. Her marriage is in shambles, her house is a mess, she's overwhelmed and exhausted and making poor choices in nutrition for herself and her family. If you go back to when she was feeling good about herself, look at her surroundings: her house was always neat and tidy... even when she was 650lbs! She used real dishes and pots and pans then too When she had Allona and they showed her, the house was clean, she was still eating well, she was active. She looks so defeated and beat up now. I think what she needs more than weight counseling is therapy for herself. She needs to find herself again, find her purpose as a woman, more than just "mom".  I am not sure why she fell into the "kid food" trap as she has, since that wasn't the impression I got of her when she had Allona. She seemed to be pretty adamant that she was going to teach her daughter healthy eating etc.

I hope both can get back on track to get under 200lbs again, but I maintain both have shown great success with maintaining their weight and not regaining all of it over the past 10 years.

• Love 6

Gotta love the Penny rehash tacked on to this - what did they call it? Defining moments? She is so, so awful. But the line about her yellow brick road is comedy gold.

I give Melissa a lot of credit for working on her diet during a pregnancy with two small kids at home and two older ones. No easy task. I wish her all the best. She seemed so happy to go to the support group. I hope she finds one she can go to often. I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers and it really works for me. I first joined 20 years ago when I was losing weight before my wedding. I only struggle with an extra 10-20 lbs but the emphasis is on struggle. When life gets in the way and I stop going, I gain. I have a great meeting that I love and it really helps me focus for the week. We have one member who admits to going to multiple meetings a week - it's like her AA :-). if you saw her you would never know she struggled. That's why I relate to this show so well even though I'm not overweight. Food is my thing and when they talk about the feelings of happiness and relaxation when they first taste the food and the guilt and self-loathing afterward, I totally get it. 

• Love 3

(I too love me some corn dogs, especially the ones at our state fair which is usually about the only time I get one)

You can ABSOLUTELY stretch your stomach back out if you have this surgery and don't change your diet habits.  It's not a cure-all.  It's a helping aid to hopefully change their eating habits and lifestyles.  Getting gastric bypass even makes it so you can't eat a lot of crappy foods.  They will make you sick.  I'm sure it's fairly common for people to gain all the weight back after surgery.  

My aunt had one of the surgeries and while she lost quite a bit of weight pretty fast, she never got very slim and within a couple of years she was eating regular food servings again.  She's at a much better weight than she was but she's still pretty overweight. 

Thats why I like it when Dr Now makes them prove that they can be motivated and dedicated to losing weight without the surgery first.  

• Love 1

Count me in on the dislike of corndogs. But....

This really goes to show that the surgery isn't the magic bullet they hoped for. In fact, diet and lack of exercising has lead them back to the path of returning to 600 pounds.

What's more it makes a really clear statement that no one can rely on the surgery alone to maintain weight loss. Especially if permanent dietary changes aren't made. It's funny that their plates looked no different years after the pains of struggling and surgery. Still a sea of brown, white and mystery. Not one vegetable in any hue other than white as in potato or light yellow (corn).

By the way, Melissa was dead wrong for eating her sad sack dinner of cottage cheese while the family munched on starch and ham, I mean, ham and biscuits. She prepares the meals and could easily (with a little effort) prepare a family friendly meal that she could also enjoy.

Don't get me wrong, I love my cottage cheese (I make a mean faux cheesecake with it, some vanilla and fruit) but she could easily make a filling, high protein, low carb meal that didn't pop out of a box or bag.

• Love 2

Didn't Dr Now have a son in earlier episodes that worked with him?  I had a friend who had some type of gastric surgery in 2001, and she had therapy before it.  She was dating a very large fellow at the time---probably 6'10" and 300+ pounds.  We don't live in the same town, but I saw her not too many months out; she had a list of food not to eat and said she would have to take some type of vitamins forever.  She lost a lot, and she looked really great for a few years, but they got married and she gained most of it back.  I have eaten with them on several occasions, and I notice she eats whatever she wants.  I thought certain types of food would make you sick after this type of surgery.  I guess for most people maybe the best that this surgery does is keep them from being super super obese.  I have some vague memory of Dr Now putting a lap band on this niece who was just overweight; I would think maybe they could put bands on the patients after they reach a goal weight.  I really don't understand getting to 500 and 600 pounds.  I feel terrible when I get 30 or 40 pounds overweight which I have a tendency to do on predisone.

I'm the one who first said corndogs were gross but a lot of you enjoy a good corndog!! so to each his own! You have to agree though that a corndog is the farthest you can get from real, healthy food. God knows what the ingredients are and dont tell me they are vegetables because they are made from CORN!! ha ha ha  Maybe wontons fried in deep fat are worse --Penny--- but I digress...They used to say at weight watchers you can eat anything that comes out of the ground. And I don't mean that comes from OFF the ground!

.What was disturbing was Melissa's husband eating a corndog in front of her and all the weight issues in that house that the last thing that should be in their fridge is corndogs- food created by man from animal parts and corn scraps. Not that Im a healthy diet purist (I ate jelly beans and those easter marshmellow things all day today with god knows that purple dye doesnt grow on trees either and put handfuls of something called Truvia in my coffee) but Corn Dogs in their fridge and him chowing down on one and ignoring the kids while she is trying to diet just struck me as uncalled for.

I can't eat corndogs (or popsicles, etc) because the thought of biting onto that stick just sends shivers down my spine. Some weird phobia of mine; just can't deal with it at all. Even thinking about it now is freaking me out. It's a real shame, as I do love me a fudgesicle. Though it might actually be a blessing in disguise - at this point in my life, I'm probably better off without any of the assorted treats on a stick anyway.

• Love 3

Don't get me wrong, I love my cottage cheese (I make a mean faux cheesecake with it, some vanilla and fruit) but she could easily make a filling, high protein, low carb meal that didn't pop out of a box or bag.

Fellow cottage cheese lover here. And cheesecake lover. :-) Can you PM me your recipe?

• Love 1

Didn't Dr Now have a son in earlier episodes that worked with him?

You may be thinking of Dr.Garth Davis, and either son or father.

And they did surgery on sister/daughter once.

The show was My Weight is Killing Me, and it's a subhead in this forum, for some reason.

And I'd thought that in her early follow-up, Melissa had dumped her husband.

• Love 1
(edited)

I worked with a lady who was super obese and she swore she didn't eat more than a person of normal weight.

She was fighting with her insurance company for months to get approved for gastric bypass surgery. One day after a visit with her doctor she said there was a lady in the waiting room who had bypass surgery a year ago and she was eating Doritos while waiting for her appointment. My co-worker said if she ever got approved for the surgery she'd be so happy to lose weight that she'd never eat crap like that.

She got approved, lost weight, and a year later had skin surgery. (She had to pay over $20,000 of her own money for expenses not covered by her insurance.). After it was all done she looked really good. But then we all started noticing her snacking on cookies and crap food and she started gaining lots of weight back.

She'd bring in the treats to "share with everyone" and when the rest of us wouldn't eat it she'd say things like, "I bring in good stuff and you're all constantly on diets." She seemed to think that once she lost the weight she wouldn't ever have to diet again. I think she really believed she ate normal amounts of food and couldn't understand why she was gaining her weight back. Or she was in denial? I don't know. I know she never got counseling because I asked her about it once and she said she didn't need it because she didn't have any emotional issues tied to food.

I left the company so I don't know what happened to her weight-wise. I hope she was lucky enough to have a doctor that gave her a wake up call.

Edited by Sup wit dat
  • Love 4

I am really starting to think a lot of these people have confused "gastric bypass" with "liposuction," the way they assume they will instantly be thinner with no lifestyle changes required.

Yep, just like taking an instant pill with no work necessary. It's sad really because the reality seems to be that yes, for a period of time, you eat less and lose weight with little effort. But over time, it seems that they body finds a way to deal with that less and still pack it on especially if you aren't careful.

I was reading about the ways people have defeated even the strict diet they are supposed to have. One easy way was to drink your calories.

(edited)

From my shallow side:

Melissa looks so much older at her thinner, current weight (275). At her thinnest (135-ish) she looked absolutely horrible!

And, are Ashley's arms disproportionate to the rest of her body? I kept being distracted by them.

The amount of physical damage that's done by the super-obesity is really formidable.

I noticed Melissa's legs seemed disproportionate to her body. Almost like she had the body of a little person. It seemed like she was happy to be able to wear jeans again but the pair she wore did not fit her properly. I know jeans are tricky to size no matter what your body shape, but hers seemed to be way too long & didn't fit her properly in the waist/hip area where she carried a lot of her weight. The jeans just looked so uncomfortable to wear. Something with some stretch in it would make her look so much better.

I am really starting to think a lot of these people have confused "gastric bypass" with "liposuction," the way they assume they will instantly be thinner with no lifestyle changes required.

You are right. I caught the clip with Zaslyn & her husband, ?Garth. The first time he saw her after surgery he was telling her he had expected her to look much thinner. Besides therapy, they need to make the applicants watch episodes of the show along with follow-ups to make them understand surgery is not the magic cure, that they still have to work on losing weight on their own.

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but why do we only see people that are on the lower end of life? (On public assistance, live in broken down poor homes, no one seems to hold down a job, etc) is it a Dr Now thing? Why can't they show a person from a middle to upper class family? I would think these people have same challenges as their poorer counterparts. I saw an old Dr Phil episode yesterday where they showcased a 600+ lb lady named Dee Dee. Basically same story, she expected/demanded grown children take care of her. But they lived in a nicer house, she had worked as a nurse. I would like to know how she made out. She assured Dr Phil she would do everything he wanted her to do to lose the weight but even he doubted her. You think TLC would get some flack from only showing the down trodden. Weight problems occur no matter if you're rich or poor. I'm just tired of seeing the poor.

I forgot to mention that Dee Dee from Dr Phil was dressed nicely, no exposed body parts when they showed her clip at home. She had on a nice dress with what looked like leggings underneath, nice shoes, hair & makeup done tastefully. It made her look oh so much better than what we usually see.

Edited by Barb23

You may be thinking of Dr.Garth Davis, and either son or father.

And they did surgery on sister/daughter once.

The show was My Weight is Killing Me, and it's a subhead in this forum, for some reason.

And I'd thought that in her early follow-up, Melissa had dumped her husband.

Yes I was;  I think all these shows just have run together in my brain.  Thanks for the clarification.

I think you are right about Melissa---maybe it was just an informal trial separation.  But I could be wrong about this as well......

I noticed Melissa's legs seemed disproportionate to her body. Almost like she had the body of a little person. It seemed like she was happy to be able to wear jeans again but the pair she wore did not fit her properly. I know jeans are tricky to size no matter what your body shape, but hers seemed to be way too long & didn't fit her properly in the waist/hip area where she carried a lot of her weight. The jeans just looked so uncomfortable to wear. Something with some stretch in it would make her look so much better.

You are right. I caught the clip with Zaslyn & her husband, ?Garth. The first time he saw her after surgery he was telling her he had expected her to look much thinner. Besides therapy, they need to make the applicants watch episodes of the show along with follow-ups to make them understand surgery is not the magic cure, that they still have to work on losing weight on their own.

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but why do we only see people that are on the lower end of life? (On public assistance, live in broken down poor homes, no one seems to hold down a job, etc) is it a Dr Now thing? Why can't they show a person from a middle to upper class family? I would think these people have same challenges as their poorer counterparts. I saw an old Dr Phil episode yesterday where they showcased a 600+ lb lady named Dee Dee. Basically same story, she expected/demanded grown children take care of her. But they lived in a nicer house, she had worked as a nurse. I would like to know how she made out. She assured Dr Phil she would do everything he wanted her to do to lose the weight but even he doubted her. You think TLC would get some flack from only showing the down trodden. Weight problems occur no matter if you're rich or poor. I'm just tired of seeing the poor.

I forgot to mention that Dee Dee from Dr Phil was dressed nicely, no exposed body parts when they showed her clip at home. She had on a nice dress with what looked like leggings underneath, nice shoes, hair & makeup done tastefully. It made her look oh so much better than what we usually see.

I think not nearly as many rich people let it get so bad ie to 700 pounds before seeking help. Many richer people get the bypass on their own at 400 pounds. abOr there enablers realize they are enabling and stop. I think with more money there are more available solutions. Had not the show approched all these people who have been helped, they would all be dead  Very few would have ever seeked help thinking they could not afford it. What we are seeing is poverty causes ignorance which causes these situations to escalate. The ignorance to think that you can eat fast food 10 times and day and be "trying to do better'.  NOt having any money so thinking your disability check is a reason to stay fat because without it how can you live. Often in poverty there is also abuse. not saying there is not abuse in wealthier homes but it seems rampant. We have just seen so many ignorant people on this show, the list is so long. like parents feeding their kids whatever they wanted thinking it was a good thing=dumb

• Love 2
(edited)

I also think we see impoverished people on this show because that's who has to stoop to being on this show to get surgery. I got my surgery because I have excellent insurance (read: I have a good, stable, well-paying job with benefits). Even if my surgery hadn't been included in my insurance -- many "good" plans do exclude it -- I could have afforded $7K or so to go to Mexico and get weight loss surgery there out of pocket.

I'm pretty sure people don't choose to be on national tv showing their children clean their vulva with a sweat rag or pooping themselves in a wheelchair unless there is absolutely no other way to get surgery, i.e., they are very, very, poor.

Edited by Peanutbuttercup
  • Love 8

I'm pretty sure people don't choose to be on national tv showing their children clean their vulva with a sweat rag or pooping themselves in a wheelchair unless there is absolutely no other way to get surgery, i.e., they are very, very, poor.

And I hate it that TLC apparently makes that a condition of getting on the show.

• Love 3

I can't eat corndogs (or popsicles, etc) because the thought of biting onto that stick just sends shivers down my spine. Some weird phobia of mine; just can't deal with it at all. Even thinking about it now is freaking me out. It's a real shame, as I do love me a fudgesicle. Though it might actually be a blessing in disguise - at this point in my life, I'm probably better off without any of the assorted treats on a stick anyway.

If I were really wanting a fudgesicle, which I do but we don't have right now, I'd go so far as to take it off the stick and eat from a bowl or something. Those are soooooo good.

• Love 1
(edited)

Someone else would have to do it for me. The mere thought of anything, including a spoon, scraping against that damn stick is enough to set me off. I have no idea why I react so strongly to an innocent popsicle stick, but there it is. Perhaps I choked on one in a previous life, who knows? :-) Fudgesicles are delicious, true enough, but chocolate ice cream is a pretty good substitute and no evil, evil sticks involved.

Edited by scootypuffjr
  • Love 2

As for the corn dogs, my son went through a corn dog phase(he has a rare form of autism and gets stuck wanting one type of food sometimes) and I found the corn dog maker. It is one of those $19.99 gadgets I found at best buy for $9.99 on BF. Since you control the ingredients and their is no deep frying, there can be a healthy corn dog options. I refuse to eat hot dogs but my son thought they were better then the real ones and my daughter is a vegetarian and had cheese or fruit in hers. Of course after the initial hype of something new the machine comes out maybe 4-5 times a year now.  I think most of these 600 lb patients on the show are all about easy quick food. The corn dog maker requires you to make batter from scratch and it takes maybe 20 minutes to make a batch for a family. Not quite as easy as buying a box of 20 and popping them in the microwave.

As far as the poverty observation, it seems like most of these people live in remote trailers or lacked being part of something with support. As the stories start out and we see the blurred shower scene, I try and guess will the person say they got fat because of a divorce, abuse, or traumatic event. It seems like these people on the show did not have a strong support at those times, whether it be religion, family, or therapy. I live in a suburb that is almost 100% the same religion. When a mom has a baby, the walking crew is at her door within a few weeks and she is part of the stroller walking group every morning. I'm not part of that religion and walk or exercise at night because of the heat and my neighbors came to me because one neighbor had a heart condition and could no longer walk in the heat and was staying inside and had gain about 40 lbs. They were concerned and asked if she could join me. While I have mixed feeling about religion, these women really seem to look out for each other and notice when one is having a struggle and try to get them support. We rarely on the show see these people have a support system outsider their primary "enablers". I realize many are too large to go out to church or activites but there are still ways to be involved if you want. I was bedridden for almost a year and went out of my comfort zone but kept my mind going. I just told people I need to have my feet up and most found a way for me to join. There is no one in my area that teaches painting for kids or certain foreign languages. I would fine if an housebound 600lb person taught foreign language or art classes.

Rich people tend to have more access to nutrition education and resources that can help them achieve health (doctors, personal trainers, nutritionists, healthy food, etc). Poverty can really keep a lot of people from being healthy even if they are ready/willing to try. I've always said if I ever won the lottery or something and could afford to work for free, I would start a free exercise program for low-income women. I suppose men could show up, too, but women would probably take advantage of it more.

• Love 1

Amber seemed the exception here. Her family seemed established. They were also very normal and she didn't seem to have anything traumatic happen to "trigger" her weight gain. I liked her family.

• Love 3

awww that's sad! But actually super helpful because so many crap foods come on a stick lol  I guess you don't really enjoy fair foods, huh?  That would stink... for a week in August I am all about anything I can eat on a stick lol 

Fellow cottage cheese lover here. And cheesecake lover. :-) Can you PM me your recipe?

I would like it too!!  I've been in a cottage cheese draught lately but I looooove cottage cheese.  I just haven't been able to get to the store that sells my favorite kind. 

about the paper plate comment on page 1 - it also bugs me that most of them don't eat at the table either

I live alone and i used to always eat on my couch, with a tray of some sort.  For a couple years after moving into my house I was doing the same thing, I would eat on my computer table tray.  Then one day I just decided that was ridiculous.  I had a nice dining table that was never used.  So maybe now I only eat away from the table maybe 1% of the time.  It really does make you feel more like a real person when you eat an actual table lol

It's mostly due to her skins surgery... her skin surgery was awwwwwffulllllllll.  And I wouldn't doubt it was maybe one of the first ones Dr. Now did because it was really really bad. Maybe he did the best he could for her... but I really believe someone more skilled would have done a better job. 

Once in awhile I will keep mini corn dogs in my house.... they are great for weekend lunches lol (i really eat like shit on the weekends)

• Love 1

Rich people tend to have more access to nutrition education and resources that can help them achieve health (doctors, personal trainers, nutritionists, healthy food, etc). Poverty can really keep a lot of people from being healthy even if they are ready/willing to try. I've always said if I ever won the lottery or something and could afford to work for free, I would start a free exercise program for low-income women. I suppose men could show up, too, but women would probably take advantage of it more.

I think there is a more of a stigma in being super obese when you are rich.  Don't get me wrong, since they are making designer clothes in plus sizes, there definitely are many fat rich people, but since there is still an expectation that they attend "events," they still need to retain somewhat of a normal appearance.  I hate to make generalizations, but I'm going to right now.  I grew up in a very rich city (I was one of the "poor" ones) and all the wealthy people I knew were very superficial--it was all about the way you looked, the brand of clothes you wore, the car you drove, the ski lodge you went skiing at every winter break...yada yada (with me teased mercilessly as I was fat and wore sneakers from Kmart). All of the rich kids I knew growing up weren't just thin, they were beautiful.  The first time I met an overweight rich kid was in high school, and she was probably a size 14 and still managed to wear designer clothes.  The only obese rich I ever saw were middle aged or elderly.   My husband lived in a very poor trailer park when he was a teen/young adult (when we were dating).  One of the first things I noticed is that the poor don't care what other people look like.

• Love 3

Amber seemed the exception here. Her family seemed established. They were also very normal and she didn't seem to have anything traumatic happen to "trigger" her weight gain. I liked her family.

Tara, living with her nicely dressed mom and step-dad and her two children, in a home where they ate at a dining room table with a tablecloth was an obvious exception.  Tara was also nicely dressed.

Melissa and scumball Chris were not in poverty.  At times, both were working.

Zsalynn wasn't living in poverty.  Just living in a miserable relationship.  She was working during her followup, and had lived a decent financial life via the internet from what I've read here prior to her surgery.

Quite obviously, Nikki was living in an affluent home, including attending college and holding an artsy (though probably low paying) job. 

Several other of the male subjects from year 1 on had decent jobs before their weight issues caused them to either cut back or not be able to work at all.

My replay and question has nothing to do with a individual case or person.I'm just wondering.as the adiction got to to point of being disabled.how did it happen that anyone could afford to live like that .as in pay for rent food transportation and most of all the surgery and recovery time.without a job .for every person it most of costed millions or a million.is it all working ppl tax dollars that pays for this.or is a&e paying the ppl that are on the shows so they can pay for there bills???? I always thought about that .some story's are great.but who,s footing the bills.

Didn't Dr Now have a son in earlier episodes that worked with him?  I had a friend who had some type of gastric surgery in 2001, and she had therapy before it.  She was dating a very large fellow at the time---probably 6'10" and 300+ pounds.  We don't live in the same town, but I saw her not too many months out; she had a list of food not to eat and said she would have to take some type of vitamins forever.  She lost a lot, and she looked really great for a few years, but they got married and she gained most of it back.  I have eaten with them on several occasions, and I notice she eats whatever she wants.  I thought certain types of food would make you sick after this type of surgery.  I guess for most people maybe the best that this surgery does is keep them from being super super obese.  I have some vague memory of Dr Now putting a lap band on this niece who was just overweight; I would think maybe they could put bands on the patients after they reach a goal weight.  I really don't understand getting to 500 and 600 pounds.  I feel terrible when I get 30 or 40 pounds overweight which I have a tendency to do on predisone.

If you have the gastric bypass, yes, you can get sick from sugar, tho I don't know how long that lasts. With the sleeve, you don't have the same issues with sugar. 

From just hanging on a gastric sleeve FB page, it seems that most of the people can't wait until they can have their regular food again = either food after being on a post-surgery liquid diet (OK, I get that), or the crappy things they ate before surgery, tho they assume they will eat less.  I see very few actually address changing their diet completely and I see quite a few bemoaning the fact that they are gaining weight again.  2+2 still = 4, folks.

• Love 3

I can't thank you enough for saying "vulva" instead of "vagina."  You just made the internet tolerable for one more day.

• Love 4

i sprinkle cottage cheese with cinnamon a sprinkle of equal and maybe 4 rasins and have a mock rice pudding.

What's with the husbands on this show being either emotionally checked out or gross borderline fetishist enablers?

Who marries 400+ pound people? I don't think we've seen a subject who wasn't morbidly obese throughout adulthood. I don't care how charming and kind someone may be -- you only marry a person with severe problems who needs you as a caretaker if that's what you're looking for.

• Love 2

Someone else would have to do it for me. The mere thought of anything, including a spoon, scraping against that damn stick is enough to set me off. I have no idea why I react so strongly to an innocent popsicle stick, but there it is. Perhaps I choked on one in a previous life, who knows? :-) Fudgesicles are delicious, true enough, but chocolate ice cream is a pretty good substitute and no evil, evil sticks involved.

Yes!  As I'm reading your post my teeth are on edge and I've got my "eww face" on.  Remember those dixie cup ice creams with the wooden spoon?  Gag.  As if the scrape-y texture of those wooden sticks/spoons aren't bad enough, they even have a nasty taste.

• Love 3

about the paper plate comment on page 1 - it also bugs me that most of them don't eat at the table either

Yes!  Is this a 'thing' now where no one eats at the table?  I didn't think it was a hardship to sit at a table with a plate, silverware and a napkin.  Balancing a plate on your lap while sitting on a couch seems so weird to me.

Yes!  Is this a 'thing' now where no one eats at the table?  I didn't think it was a hardship to sit at a table with a plate, silverware and a napkin.  Balancing a plate on your lap while sitting on a couch seems so weird to me.

It's not just here. On the UK shows about the obese, almost all of them sit on a sofa, watching TV, with a plate on their laps. Kids are  given snacks on their lap. I don't get it. Not even a TV table. Some even put their plates on top of their sofa pillows. So dirty.

You know Penny wanted her yellow brick road, as in "why aren't I losing tons of weight just from the surgery." 

There is a recipe on the South Beach Diet boards that uses sugar free fudgesicles, sugar free whipped topping and peanut butter. It tastes just like a Reese's cup. I've been doing the diet for 13 1/2 months and I'm down 68 pounds. I found my yellow brick road and have a supportive husband. 

I hope Melissa finds happiness. 5 kids in the house is going to be hard, but, I think she can do it.

• Love 2

You know Penny wanted her yellow brick road, as in "why aren't I losing tons of weight just from the surgery."

There is a recipe on the South Beach Diet boards that uses sugar free fudgesicles, sugar free whipped topping and peanut butter. It tastes just like a Reese's cup. I've been doing the diet for 13 1/2 months and I'm down 68 pounds. I found my yellow brick road and have a supportive husband.

I hope Melissa finds happiness. 5 kids in the house is going to be hard, but, I think she can do it.

The South Beach diet is awesome. It really helps me feel less bloated and I don't feel hungry all the time.

• Love 1

I worked with a lady who was super obese and she swore she didn't eat more than a person of normal weight.

Reminds me of "Secret Eaters"

I think there is a more of a stigma in being super obese when you are rich.  Don't get me wrong, since they are making designer clothes in plus sizes, there definitely are many fat rich people, but since there is still an expectation that they attend "events," they still need to retain somewhat of a normal appearance.  I hate to make generalizations, but I'm going to right now.  I grew up in a very rich city (I was one of the "poor" ones) and all the wealthy people I knew were very superficial--it was all about the way you looked, the brand of clothes you wore, the car you drove, the ski lodge you went skiing at every winter break...yada yada (with me teased mercilessly as I was fat and wore sneakers from Kmart). All of the rich kids I knew growing up weren't just thin, they were beautiful.  The first time I met an overweight rich kid was in high school, and she was probably a size 14 and still managed to wear designer clothes.  The only obese rich I ever saw were middle aged or elderly.   My husband lived in a very poor trailer park when he was a teen/young adult (when we were dating).  One of the first things I noticed is that the poor don't care what other people look like.

I think this is a very interesting point.  I think some of it is education, because reading food labels can be confusing, especially if you don't know what you're looking for.  How many people are there in the world that think Sunny D-Light is "orange juice."  And how many more people realize that orange juice has a ton of sugar in it and shouldn't be something you drink by the gallon?  How many people know that eating the orange is probably much healthier for you than just drinking orange juice?

I think some of it are food deserts.  I'm happy that so many people are thinking up inventive ways to resolve that issue, but for a long time it was an issue and so people are used to not eating fresh food.

I think some of it is just part of poverty handed down generation to generation.  Processed food has a much longer shelf life than fresh fruits and vegetables, and so more of it could be made and distributed and sold cheaper.  I used to love, love, love, love those Lil' Debbie oatmeal cookies, ,but those things could last at least a year.  If you've had generations that haven't had access to fresh food, have been taught that Sunny D-Light is a healthy drink and don't know any better...I think this is what you get.

There are so many eating habits we carry with us.  I know that, growing up, my parents made me eat fresh fruits and vegetables.  Now, I feel strange if I don't have fresh fruit pretty much on a daily basis (not a fan of vegetables....)

• Love 2

Reminds me of "Secret Eaters"

I think this is a very interesting point.  I think some of it is education, because reading food labels can be confusing, especially if you don't know what you're looking for.  How many people are there in the world that think Sunny D-Light is "orange juice."  And how many more people realize that orange juice has a ton of sugar in it and shouldn't be something you drink by the gallon?  How many people know that eating the orange is probably much healthier for you than just drinking orange juice?

I think some of it are food deserts.  I'm happy that so many people are thinking up inventive ways to resolve that issue, but for a long time it was an issue and so people are used to not eating fresh food.

I think some of it is just part of poverty handed down generation to generation.  Processed food has a much longer shelf life than fresh fruits and vegetables, and so more of it could be made and distributed and sold cheaper.  I used to love, love, love, love those Lil' Debbie oatmeal cookies, ,but those things could last at least a year.  If you've had generations that haven't had access to fresh food, have been taught that Sunny D-Light is a healthy drink and don't know any better...I think this is what you get.

There are so many eating habits we carry with us.  I know that, growing up, my parents made me eat fresh fruits and vegetables.  Now, I feel strange if I don't have fresh fruit pretty much on a daily basis (not a fan of vegetables....)

Totally agree. And something else to consider...There are those who don't want to know the difference.  

• Love 1

I am constantly baffled by how many people really, truly believe that juice is good for you. "It has fruit in it!" Yeah, so does pie, that doesn't mean it should be your primary source of that food group. I don't plan to give my son (now 1 year old) much juice, because I see what juice can do to a lot of kids. It makes them lose their damn minds. Imagine existing solely on sugary drinks for decades, what it does to you mentally and physically. No wonder people think they eat a normal amount of calories but they're still gaining weight, they DRINK so many calories!

• Love 3

I am constantly baffled by how many people really, truly believe that juice is good for you. "It has fruit in it!" Yeah, so does pie, that doesn't mean it should be your primary source of that food group. I don't plan to give my son (now 1 year old) much juice, because I see what juice can do to a lot of kids. It makes them lose their damn minds. Imagine existing solely on sugary drinks for decades, what it does to you mentally and physically. No wonder people think they eat a normal amount of calories but they're still gaining weight, they DRINK so many calories!

You're right, but I wish it was confusing for me.  But honestly, every ad I see for juice is busy touting how healthy it is for you.  Even Sunny D-Light, which isn't orange juice features kids running and mentions that it has the "daily dose of Vitamin C!" which people, naturally associate with orange juice.  And juice commercials are all made to make the juice look like its the same as eating a piece of fruit.....pictures of apple slices falling into water, freshly sliced oranges, standing in a cranberry bog.  At least no one is trying that routine with a Snickers bar, and like you said, people know a Snickers bar is bad for them so they mentally may try to compensate by not eating something else....but if you're just drinking "healthy" OJ.......why of course you deserve a donut, because its just like you are having fruit....which is healthy....right?

• Love 2
Guest dutronc

I caught the clip with Zaslyn & her husband, ?Garth. The first time he saw her after surgery he was telling her he had expected her to look much thinner. Besides therapy, they need to make the applicants watch episodes of the show along with follow-ups to make them understand surgery is not the magic cure, that they still have to work on losing weight on their own.

I'm pretty sure Gareth was saying to that be a mean a-hole, not because he was truly surprised. 

As far as the follow-up show, I was sort of surprised about the dating vignette in Ashley's story. I missed the part in the extended edition where she was discussing who she wanted to date, but I remember thinking that Ashley might have been interested in dating women. It wasn't just a vibe--in the original episode, there was a scene at a birthday party where she was hugging a woman in a way that seemed more than just friends. I might be reading it wrong, and of course it's her business. However, I also wonder if she is struggling with her sexuality, and the food addiction was her self-medication. 

but if you're just drinking "healthy" OJ.......why of course you deserve a donut, because its just like you are having fruit....which is healthy....right?

A nutritionist I used to work with told me that a glass of OJ was like eating 10 oranges in one sitting. Made me stop drinking juice.

Edited by pele2102
  • Love 2