Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Again, it may not be fair, but it's how things are on social media, people are idiots and have an easier time being idiots thanks to the internet so either Mama B should take a break from Twitter for a while if she doesn't want to deal with them or just use her damn block button like I do when people are being jackasses. 

Well, okay, one more thing, because it does relate to GH.

There are many things to hate about Ron, but right at the top of my list is how he uses Twitter to be a sniveling pissbaby asshole. Even if its just to tell people to shut up and eat the shit writing he's cooking up as if its delicious, he's using the medium to be a bullying snotnose. Should he also not police himself, or is that "just the way social media works"? I'm seriously asking this, because I see so many jokes about how he'll call your high school principal and tell on you, and complaints about what a whining loser he was on his feed when somebody said something bad about a storyline of his. If its not completely obnoxious, why is it a running theme, and if it is completely obnoxious, why should it be written off as "just the way things are"?

• Love 4
(edited)

Well, okay, one more thing, because it does relate to GH.

There are many things to hate about Ron, but right at the top of my list is how he uses Twitter to be a sniveling pissbaby asshole. Even if its just to tell people to shut up and eat the shit writing he's cooking up as if its delicious, he's using the medium to be a bullying snotnose. Should he also not police himself, or is that "just the way social media works"? I'm seriously asking this, because I see so many jokes about how he'll call your high school principal and tell on you, and complaints about what a whining loser he was on his feed when somebody said something bad about a storyline of his. If its not completely obnoxious, why is it a running theme, and if it is completely obnoxious, why should it be written off as "just the way things are"?

Well, I mean, it's not an ideal thing but it's unfortunately just how it is. People are allowed to get away with a lot of nasty stuff on social media because the platforms themselves can't police everyone. And even Twitter, which has a function where you can report people for harassment, isn't really that great at stopping people from doing it. It's kind of terrible actually. I reported someone who was clearly harassing a friend of mine, who is a pretty well-known sportswriter, and Twitter sent back a lame-ass message saying they couldn't do anything about it. 

As for Ron, he really takes being a troll to new heights on Twitter and the getting in touch with your high school principal thing isn't a joke, he either did it or threatened to do it to some kid. Granted what the kid said to him was bad, but still, he actually took the time to find out where this kid was from and where he went to school. Maybe if Ron took the time to write the show and didn't spend so much of it on Twitter acting the fool, the show would be a little better. 

I'm actually surprised that the higher ups haven't reined him in a bit on Twitter because even if you are criticizing the storylines in a constructive way, he reacts like a 5 year old. And god forbid a blogger or soap magazine writer says something that isn't 100% positive about the show or an individual storyline. Homeboy will throw a fit brattier than anything Spencer has ever done. 

Edited by Box305
  • Love 7

Anna Lee was an answer in today's NYT crossword puzzle. The clue was "longtime General Hospital actress."

As Ron tries desperately to make "Michelle Stafford" fit..

• Love 16

Ron is on Twitter saying the Liz rape argument is ridiculous, "no one is ruined" in the story, and RT'd an account that said Jason has had a form of amnesia since '95 and "Good soap is our favorite characters making bad decisions."

Twitter: where GH actually happens...

• Love 3

It makes me laugh that he thinks it's "absurd" that anyone would go there. For me, it's like, forget about the labels. Did Jason want to have sex with Liz before he "died"? No. Does Liz know this? Yes. To me, that's all that matters.

And the fact that he thinks this is comparable to when Jason Q. became Jason M....

Why is this man the head writer!? Why?!?

• Love 5
(edited)

This is the same guy who defended the Frodd/Marty story for months and still doesn't see what was wrong with Johnny/Connie

This was a violation of Liz's history with Jasus and the friendship she built with Jake.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 1
(edited)

This is the same guy who defended the Frodd/Marty story for months and still doesn't see what was wrong with Johnny/Connie

This was a violation of Liz's history with Jasus and the friendship she built with Jake.

Ugh, I forgot about Connie/Johnny. So that's five situations Ron has written where the audience has to debate whether or not it was rape. That is sick. Edited by Tiger
  • Love 2

This is the same guy who defended the Frodd/Marty story for months and still doesn't see what was wrong with Johnny/Connie.

And defended the odious Ford's treatment of Teen!Jess to OLTL's dying day.

I hate how Ron insists his opinion or take on the scenario is the only right one.  That's not how soaps work.

• Love 3

I know the retirement rumors have been around since the Fluke story began, but to see it actually confirmed is just crazy.

In any case, it's about time. Bye.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think Tony Geary can be an obnoxious blowhard with a deeply confused sense of his character vs. himself, but I also think he is a curmudgeon who has done great things on daytime for decades and deserves to be well and happy after his recent health issues. I'm a little surprised he's not leaving feet-first given his many threats to leave in the past, but I think it's what's best for him.

I don't know how long Genie's contract is but this is obviously no coincidence. I can't make heads or tails of that interview, though - he does his usual spiel about Luke and Laura being toxic for each other and Luke never wanting to be a father, which is complete nonsense, but then he says he was not at all happy with some of the writers' plans for his exit:

I had an epiphany shortly after the GH anniversary episode, when I was hearing the writers' ideas of how Luke Spencer would leave the show and I was not on board with a lot of it at first. But then I realized, you know what? I don't have ownership of this character. I have deluded myself all of these years that I could bully writers and producers into doing things my way, and a lot of times I bullied quite successfully. I have bullied, cajoled, and subverted! I know how to do all those things well but that has been very costly to me and to others. And so I finally had a talk with myself and realized that Luke Spencer belongs to ABC and to whoever is writing and producing GH. And there was a great weight lifted off my back when I accepted that. I will do my best with the material they give me in these next few weeks and I will fight to make it honorable but, at the end of the day, I am a color on the palette. I am not the painter. And I am finally at peace with that. [Laughs] God, it only took me 37 years on this show to figure that out!

That's a very good way to put it, but I just wish he'd figured out more of it sooner. And I love Tony Geary as an actor, he's done wonderful work on the show and it'll be hard to see him go. But it would be a lot harder if he hadn't spent over ten years trying to pretend his character is something it isn't - all things to all people, all roles to one actor. I do want Luke and Laura back together, despite what he wants, and I know Ron wants it so that may be happening, but it would be awfully fast at this point.

Anyway, he deserves to be well and we'll see how this goes.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 11
(edited)

I see that he's still crapping on Luke being a father.

Hopefully they can get JJ for the sendoff and then find a good lucky recast a few months later

Yep. And that the love between Luke and Laura wasn't equal. Such bullshit. But whatever. I hope, when Genie returns, that Laura isn't fucked over but good, to send Luke off canvas. But those hopes aren't very high.

And it's nice to get confirmation that yes, he did bully to get a lot of the kind of stories he wanted for Luke. Like him hating being a family man, let him be the one to kill Jake...I can see that.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 7
(edited)

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! See ya. 

Its still my wish that JJ would come back for his exit. :(

I want Julie to make a cameo too. 

I'm sure FakeSon will make an appearance too, bleh.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5

Yep. And that the love between Luke and Laura wasn't equal. Such bullshit. But whatever. I hope, when Genie returns, that Laura isn't fucked over but good, to send Luke off canvas. But those hopes aren't very high.

Yeah and I wouldn't be so sure that Jane Elliot won't be f'd over in the end too. 

• Love 5

I've never really wanted to believe Tony's as responsible for all of Luke's darkness, but yeah, he sure makes it hard to deny that. Sometimes, it's definitely not best to trust the actors' instincts over the the writers'. Luke Spencer would be leaving a much richer legacy than he ultimately will.

• Love 7
(edited)
So it sounds like GF was perfectly fine with Luke and Laura not reuniting.

I think a lot of that had to do with Laura being so fragile and that terrible writing. GF hated that. If it was a case of either thisclosetolosingit Laura with Luke or no Laura with Luke, I don't blame her for wanting the latter.

I do think Geary deserves a big sendoff. He and Genie made GH and Luke and Laura into household names. They got Elizabeth Fuckin'! Taylor to do a guest role.

And any dread of leaving was softened by Frank Valentini saying, "We'll take you back whenever you want."

Please, NO. I want a definitive end to Luke, not some bullshit thing that keeps options open for him to return. Otherwise it cheats the audience. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 6

They kill off other legacy characters that still have story potential but Luke who IMO has been bled dry will have a non-fatal exit - the one character that should? 

• Love 3

They kill off other legacy characters that still have story potential but Luke who IMO has been bled dry will have a non-fatal exit - the one character that should? 

That's right because you know, Geary isn't "retiring." He's still an actor. With other projects he wants to do. So of course he'd be willing to come back. Blech.

• Love 2
(edited)

Bet none of you knew I was a huge L&L fan......  :)

But I can honestly say, the time has come, and maybe it actually came several years ago if I'm being completely honest, for Luke to ride off into the sunset.  TG and this character have had their moment in the sun for a long, long time. 

My biggest sadness is that this once fabulously well rounded, layered character who could rip your heart out or make you giggle with glee, has become so unlikeable in the last 5-7 years. For many, Luke will only be remembered as a creepy old man played by an actor who was apparently a termite in another life based on his love of scenery chewing. That is truly a sad legacy for a fabulous character and actor.

Happy retirement to TG.

Edited by LegalParrot81
  • Love 12

If Sonny could be the new Luke Spencer that was: The Luke who first meet Sonny, the one who loves his family, his children, his wife. The great Dad, the better friend, the calm in the eye of the storm. That Luke. Well then that would be a vast improvement over everything that Sonny has ever been.

I for one once TG exits am going to remember Luke as he was up until 10 or 15 years ago. That Luke.

• Love 6

Wow.

Glancing at the interview, I liked what he said about Jane Elliott and about her airtime being too tied to him/Luke.

Jane has been tied to my story these last few years in an up and down love affair that's been a lot of fun. But it seems that if I don't work then she doesn't work. If I leave the show for a few months, they mysteriously don't seem to be able to find ways to keep her involved.

I think he's one of the few people on the show who could actually -- even obliquely -- say what a lot of us have discussed about  the isolation of characters and discontinuity of storylines. And since he also previously made the comments about plots being "comic book world," and "impossible to justify," I do applaud him for using his daytime status and current relative invulnerability to make some statements for the good of the cause that his colleagues who want to keep their jobs might be more hesitant to make. It's a good way of cashing in one's chips. 

• Love 2

Tony also saw to it that JFP was unable to take out Jackie Zeman the way she wanted to when she first took over. I respect him for things like that.

I still think the way to do it is the way I talked about a while ago - put him and Laura back together and send them away happy, then have Laura come back solo and have Luke offscreen living it up wherever, recuperating or getting treatment. I still think they may do something like that here. To me, it's the best way. And let Genie hang around as the elder Spencer in residence.

• Love 8
(edited)

Tony has said many times over the years that Luke should go out by committing suicide, but somehow I don't think that will happen, especially with Ron here (not that that's something I'd necessarily want him to write anyway, or anyone else, for that matter--I really don't know if that's the best way for Luke to go).

And if I may, I have to post this in regard to today's news:

Edited by UYI
  • Love 9

We don't know how long Genie is here, but I assume she's here at least to usher him out. If it was up to me she'd stay longer but I don't know if she is.

• Love 2

I have such mixed feelings on this that I 'liked' posts above that are diametrically opposed.

I'm sure I'll change my mind tomorrow, but right now I'd like to see Luke's exit be at least a partial copy of 'Twist of Fate'.

And despite my disdain for post-2002 Luke and Tony, I think his final episode deserves a primetime episode. It'll be summer and ABC can surely pre-empt 8pm reruns on one night.

• Love 1
And despite my disdain for post-2002 Luke and Tony, I think his final episode deserves a primetime episode. It'll be summer and ABC can surely pre-empt 8pm reruns on one night.

Only thing is, networks now have Summer shows/programming. Reruns are so 1990s!

• Love 1

Only thing is, networks now have Summer shows/programming. Reruns are so 1990s!

As far as I know, ABC is airing comedy repeats Tue 8-9, Wed 8-10, and Fri 8-9 all summer. I actually love all of their current comedies, but surely they can give GH one of these hours one week to honor Luke.

• Love 1

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! See ya. 

Its still my wish that JJ would come back for his exit. :(

He may be able to; allegedly "Nashville" isn't going to start shooting until late fall because Connie Britton is doing some show on FX.

(edited)

Putting Luke with Tracy was a weird idea that somehow worked like gangbusters. Jane is the best thing that ever happened to me on GH. Luke's love for Laura [Genie Francis] was a youthful thing. He saw Laura as the damsel who needed saving. That's love but an unequal kind of love. Luke's love for Tracy has been infuriatingly, wonderfully equal and much more mature.

How much do I dislike this guy? So glad to see him go. Luke and Tracy worked like gangbusters? Jane is the best thing that ever happened to him on GH? L&L was an unequal kind of love? Luke's love for Tracy? I have no idea what show this guy thinks we've been watching all these years.

Sorry, but I don't think TG and JE have a bit of chemistry. I don't think Luke loves Tracy. Plus, Tracy always seems desperate when it comes to Luke - gross.

I'm not sure how Jane could be the best thing that happened to him or his character on the show considering he wouldn't have this job anymore if not for his chemistry with GF! Luke was set to be a short term character until that all hit. The guy wouldn't even be as famous as he is without GF/Laura.

I'm not going to lie, despite how they began I'm still a fan of L&L. TG and GF have chemistry and have managed to hang onto that no matter what. Frankly, the only time TG/Luke didn't completely annoy me in the last 10 years or so, is when GF/Laura was around.

I cannot stand what Luke has become because of TG 'cajoling and bullying.' Whatever. I'm just happy he'll finally be gone from my screen. All that scenery chewing has had to cost the show a lot of money. Oh and maybe someone else can win a daytime emmy for lead actor now.

Edited by hypnotoad
  • Love 10

If Tony honestly believes that what he's been playing for the past several years is an "equal love" between Luke and Tracy, then I genuinely feel sorry for his real life boyfriend.  Because...no. 

• Love 18
(edited)

Even a few years ago, the news of Tony Geary's exit might have made me a little sad, and definitely more than a little nostalgic. Now, all I can think is goodbye, good luck, and don't let the door knob hit ya where the good lord split ya, Tony. Good riddance.

You're leaving at least five years too late, buddy, IMO. You've been phoning it in or chewing the scenery for at least that long and hogging the Emmys (no matter how meaningless they've become) for longer than that. Bye.

Edited by MichaelaRae
  • Love 9

Too little, too late, buddy. He couldn't have left a year ago and spared the audience the Fluke bullshit?

He could have also left without another months-long story surrounding his ass. Sigh. I don't even care about his exit in the slightest. For me, Luke hasn't been relevant since the '90s.

• Love 5

The thing is, the kid is on recurring. He doesn't have to do anything if his mom doesn't want him to. They can walk away.

but with the appearance of Courtney, maybe this is the turning point for less horrible material for Spencer.

Okay....why would you invoke that name? Damn and blast. I disappear for a year and everything goes to pot.

• Love 1