Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

It's true, the show wasn't at the top of its game when the axe came down, though I still think the persistent view of OLTL as the redheaded stepchild of the lineup by the higher-ups contributed to the cancellation more than Frank did.

I'm gonna reply in the OLTL forum.

Maybe. I don't think Becky leaving will break the show - I think a ton of Liz FF have already left at this point - but probably if Becky leaves this probably won't be the last major exit coming. Does anyone know whose contract is up next?

And at some point, even if the show isn't cancelled, if the ratings are low enough, the affiliate can just simply shove it in the middle of the night if they want to.

I don't think Billy Miller will re-sign later this year but nobody will miss him, viewers (online at least) will probably be celebrating like they did last time they kill Jason

Edited by gator12

I think Billy Miller has looked ready to smash the fire safety glass and axe his way out of the studio for a long time. But he also wants a dependable base income and FV is very good at making big promises he doesn't have to deliver on, so who knows.

• Love 6

I think Billy Miller has looked ready to smash the fire safety glass and axe his way out of the studio for a long time. But he also wants a dependable base income and FV is very good at making big promises he doesn't have to deliver on, so who knows.

LMAOOOO.

I don't see Billy leaving unless he secures something else.

• Love 2

Becky will not break the show. And I'd say that about any actor.

I agree with jsbt, though.  It's not any one specific actor who is going to break it, but, eventually, after some exit, it's going to be broken, because there are just too many.  You can't have the only real remnant of pre-FV/RC GH being Sonny and Carly.  Soaps evolve and change over time, but there's just been too much turnover in a fairly short time.  And when a lot of those who leave end up on the same show, then it's only natural to assume that viewers are going to start migrating to that show to see the actors they've grown attached to.  

When you add in how God awful the writing is, along with the seeming cast exodus, it's just not a recipe for succeeding.  It would be one thing if, even with the departures, we were being given something compelling to watch.  But, what's compelling now?  (And, let's face it, the shit-tastic writing is probably a large part of why the cast members are dropping out).  

• Love 16

I agree with jsbt, though. It's not any one specific actor who is going to break it, but, eventually, after some exit, it's going to be broken, because there are just too many. You can't have the only real remnant of pre-FV/RC GH being Sonny and Carly. Soaps evolve and change over time, but there's just been too much turnover in a fairly short time. And when a lot of those who leave end up on the same show, then it's only natural to assume that viewers are going to start migrating to that show to see the actors they've grown attached to.

When you add in how God awful the writing is, along with the seeming cast exodus, it's just not a recipe for succeeding. It would be one thing if, even with the departures, we were being given something compelling to watch. But, what's compelling now? (And, let's face it, the shit-tastic writing is probably a large part of why the cast members are dropping out).

Trust me, I don't disagree with your general point. I do think if enough crap happens, something has to give. I just also don't think Becky is the last straw.

• Love 1
Frank didn't get OLTL killed, that was all ABC.

He single-handedly chased me away back in 2003/4, when he lowballed Fiona Hutchinson and gave walking papers to James DePaiva.

I know, anecdotal and not worth anything. Anything whatsoever.

But Frank gutted that show and the (lack of) creative quality didn't help the ratings. If it had managed to be head and shoulders above GH, which was also hemorrhaging viewers between 2004 and 2011, OLTL would have to be the one still on the air.

• Love 4

This is so OT but AFAIK Frons was behind gutting the Holdens at OLTL. He was very involved back then, he wanted it done and FV was the hatchet man; the writers had had other plans. Still, it didn't have to happen the way it did.

I don't know that OLTL would still be on the air even if it was still beating out GH in some demos, as I believe it did at the time. The internal perception of OLTL was almost always "fuck OLTL," for almost as long as I'd been watching. GH was always the crown jewel, good or bad, because of the lingering reputation of Guza's best work and the faux-primetime sheen.

• Love 7

Oh, I'm sure it's about the money. It couldn't be anything else with her and Frankie Loves the Lowball (with both men and women, but especially women). I just can't see Becky Herbst, mother of [how many?] and breadwinner, being like 'time to spread my wings with a new character on a completely different show when soaps are at their lowest point in TV history!' She just doesn't seem the type and I'm not sure she'd be comfortable.

Yea, I just can't see BH leaving. If she does I'm gonna assume they tried to get her to take like a $5 salary or something just ridiculously low.

LOL at how obvious it is that BH is the one leaking this to the press though. And tweeting stuff like "Thank you for loving Elizabeth as much as I have." You go, girl!

• Love 6

I just can't see Becky Herbst, mother of [how many?] 

Three.

And like I said the other day, all three of them were born while she's been on the show, which means she's been a full time working mom their entire lives. Unless one of the other daytime soaps offers her another role, I truly think Becky is done with acting forever if she leaves GH. The only thing that makes me think otherwise is the fact that her youngest son is five and a half, which means he has several more years of schooling ahead. Meanwhile, her oldest son is almost 15, and her daughter is almost 12 (unlike Liz's kids, they're allowed to age), and having been on the show now for almost 19 years, she probably has more than enough money to put all three of them through school very comfortably, and spend time with the youngest son in a way she probably wasn't always able to with her older two kids. I really think, after having acted since she was a child (she did a lot of commercials as a kid), as well as training as a figure skater for several years, I think she has long seen GH as just a job, albeit a great one that's given her a good life and allowed her to raise her family. I just don't know. 

• Love 3

Wow, just looked it up. Becky has the third highest seniority on the show, after Maurice and Nancy.

Well, Michael Easton has his scape goat lined up for when his next character, the hospital orderly in love with Nina while she was in a coma or former vampire killer who wants to interview Sam about Silas, doesn't work out. "Every one was upset about Becky and no one gave me a chance."

Edited by Francie
  • Love 10

Oh yeah, if she does end up leaving because she's being nickel and dimed, the backlash about the Easton rehiring will really pick up steam.

IIRC, part of the reason behind JDP's firing from OLTL was to pay for ME. One more reason for me to hate him! :P

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

With all the talk about pay disparity in Hollywood, I'm really curious what kind of financial cut they're demanding. 

If BH is the breadwinner of her family, I doubt she'll quit acting, especially with an offer from another soap. And plenty of mothers work throughout their children's lives, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 4

With all the talk about pay disparity in Hollywood, I'm really curious what kind of financial cut they're demanding. 

If BH is the breadwinner of her family, I doubt she'll quit acting, especially with an offer from another soap. And plenty of mothers work throughout their children's lives, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. 

They do, but I'm just curious what VHJuan has largely done since leaving GH (besides selling Monavie, of course), which was before he and Becky were married. I just wonder how much of it was just out of necessity for Becky, even if she wanted to spend more time at home with her kids. YMMV, of course. 

I have heard VHJuan is apparently going to law school. though. Someone here mentioned that recently. 

They do, but I'm just curious what VHJuan has largely done since leaving GH (besides selling Monavie, of course), which was before he and Becky were married. I just wonder how much of it was just out of necessity for Becky, even if she wanted to spend more time at home with her kids. YMMV, of course. 

I have heard VHJuan is apparently going to law school. though. Someone here mentioned that recently. 

If he is he's been going for years because I heard that ages ago. If he's not a lawyer by now, he quit.

• Love 1

Trust me, I don't disagree with your general point. I do think if enough crap happens, something has to give. I just also don't think Becky is the last straw.

I agree. When GH gets cancelled it will be for a combination of reasons, BH leaving probably being one of them (if she does). Show is safe until it becomes completely unprofitable or ABC finds a suitable replacement, whichever comes first. Not to take anything away from BH, but I don't even really believe there would be a massive drop in ratings if she left. Probably the only people who would tune out are those who only watch to see her. 

• Love 1

Earlier than 2011 or are you talking about the 2011 firing? Because I think both NLG and BH said JFP was the one who saved her job in 2011.

The same soaptown person also said this just now:

The only other thing I was told was that ABC wants to cut BH's pay which could be the sticking point in the negotiations.

I know JFP was said to be behind LA's firing years back (and was part of the controversy over some pregnant actresses who were fired - i.e. the infamous "It's in God's hands now"), but I believe BH credited the fan support for her with the network rehiring her.

Wonder why they want to cut her pay, rather than cutting the fat out of the 'mob budget'.

Last week, Kelly had tweeted Becky a really nice message about her being robbed of a prenom that Becky reciprocated.  It was a sweet exchange. I kind of wonder if that was her way of supporting BH playing firm in her negotiations.  I like to think of women sticking together!

If Becky left, I can see it being a tipping point for people tuning out.  She's another long-time vet, another member of a once leading family, another tie to the hospital.  What's left?  The mob and their families make up the largest portion of the cast, and then there's Nina the baby-snatcher and Franco the serial killer, a murderous prince who never pays for anything, a smaller by the second Quartermaine family, and a couple of "good guys" (Anna, Jordan, Andre, possibly Curtis) who will never be allowed to win against Sonny.  They've relegated Laura to a non-entity, Maxie and Lulu are isolated, well-loved vets like Mac, Felicia and Scotty are only seen every six months or so.  It's a mess, and instead of doing something to fix it they focus on Sonny & Carly and Franco & Nina and make idiotic casting decisions.  I don't understand why FV, SA and JP still have jobs.

• Love 10

Dawn Griffin ‏@Dawn4Soaptown 9m9 minutes ago

A source told us this morning that she [becky Herbst] is not going to renew - Lawd, I hope this source is wrong. #GH

Dawn Griffin ‏@Dawn4Soaptown 2m2 minutes ago

The source also mentioned that Y&R is also interested in Becky Herbst as a possible recast Mackenzie. #GH

When the news broke on DAYTIME CONFIDENTIAL that Sony was considering an offer to Becky, the comments section lit up with fans clamoring for Y&R to bring her on as a recast Mackenzie.  Maybe some of them campaigned to Y&R for this?

I'd be shocked if that happened. JFP has no great love for Becky Herbst, who she tried to can.

I thought t was Brian Frons that tried to can her.

If I were guessing what JFP thinks of Becky Herbst, having "had" her for many years when she was EP of General Hospital, it's that she's useful. Becky and Liz were so clearly not favorites of JFP and the head writer she brought with her, Megan McTavish. A lot of Liz's material in that period was demeaning. Right at the start of it, the Face of Deception competition with Gia was dreadful. Liz's looks were constantly getting disparaged by everyone besides Laura and Lucky, who were presented as biased and unrealistic. Then under Guza as head writer too, and Frons as head of daytime, she was always lower on the totem pole than the favorites: Carly, Emily, Sam, Courtney. She was always coming out the loser, taking the leftover scraps.  

But I don't think JFP missed how the actress was popular in a number of pairings and had a devoted fan base. JFP isn't a dummy.  

• Love 1

Granted JFP is still in charge at Y&R, but they didn't they bring on some 'consultant' dude? British guy that wrote for Coronation Street, I wanna say. Anyway, if Sony is going through a transition there, neither JFP nor Pratt really have any say about it at all. And yeah, BH could come over as an established character, but they're also getting slammed for all the new faces they've brought on. I'm not really sure who she could be paired with as JT's Billy I think is going in Gina Tognoni's orbit. And unlike GH, Y&R actually has really good actresses (Melissa Ordway notwithstanding) in BH's age range.

I also don't think this will break GH. BH appears to be a sweetie but the Jiz romance was front & center last year, and ratings still tanked. I don't think there's enough of an audience to get in an uproar again. Yes, you have your vocal groups on social media, but so often I only see about 5 or 6 people just posting and reposting stuff. The audience isn't what it used to be when she got brought back before, so I wonder if whoever is left in the general, at home audience would really care anymore.

• Love 2

I don't think that Becky leaving, and Liz leaving the canvas, in and of themselves, is going to move the dial down. But as horrid as the Jason/Jake slow crawl of a story was, there will a void. And that void will almost undoubtedly be replaced with something less engaging, and even less recognizable to the GH audience. It'll be more newbies. More pets. More characters we know nothing about and care nothing about.  Probably Michael Easton's character and his storyline will fill that void, and I have no doubt that whatever they come up with for him will glaze over viewers and cause them to disengage even more.

• Love 8

I think it's definitely possible. I'm kinda of the same mind as UYI though - kinda. I don't think she'll retire but maybe go into something other than acting. But I mean, whether she continues to act or not, either way, it's a her wanting a change, as you say.

• Love 2

Playing devil's advocate, could BH leave because she wants a change? The set atmosphere has to be different with all of the actors who have left and the new additions.

Also, ABC could add a 3rd hour of GH at anytime. Key players to do this are already there, IMO.

I think if that were the case, then she would have just left instead of leaking the story that negotiations are at a stalemate.  She's trying to push ABC/GH into making their best offer. So she has some serious interest in staying.

• Love 3

I think it's definitely possible. I'm kinda of the same mind as UYI though - kinda. I don't think she'll retire but maybe go into something other than acting. But I mean, whether she continues to act or not, either way, it's a her wanting a change, as you say.

I really meant more as retire from acting, although she might take a bit of a break from doing anything for awhile--I know there have been times when GH has two weeks off, and other times where she may not have worked as often, but other than her maternity leaves, she's probably had very little down time, as she's someone who has been on contract for over 18 years now. I mean, she was away for awhile in 2011 when she had mono, but that wasn't a FUN vacation, you know? (and how weird that almost right after her job is saved, she gets sick enough for awhile that someone else plays LIz for a bit?)

I guess she could start some little clothing business or something, since she's always made clothes and dresses. 

One of the big reasons both BM and MS left Y&R was the time commitment of a regular soap. GH is attractive to many soap actors b/c of the block taping and time off. It would seem like a step backward for BH to move from more time off to less after such a long career and I can't think she really would want that. If she leaves b/c she has youngish children she may indeed take some time off and not jump straight to another show. I feel like what MTS does on Y&R BH is trying to drum fan outrage to help her negotiations. I'll be surprised if she leaves but even more surprised if she went straight to another show.

• Love 1

Why would she retire when she's the breadwinner of her family? Soap don't pay actors that much for them to retire in their 30s

Maybe she has other work plans besides acting, like I said. Maybe her husband is doing something now.

Why would she retire when she's the breadwinner of her family? Soap don't pay actors that much for them to retire in their 30s

Taking even 1 yr off is not retiring. MS did this after she left Y&R before coming to GH to work on other projects and spend time with her child. BH may want to do the same, but I still feel all the hoopla is to help her get a better deal and she won't leave.

• Love 4

In addition to the other options listed above, she's been an actress since she was a child. Combine that with how long she's been on GH, and who knows how much money she has saved up. 

ETA: OTOH, she also was a figure skater as a child, and that sport is HELLISHLY expensive, so...maybe not. 

Edited by UYI

Good for BH if this is a ploy to get more money.  I believe she took a pay cut (maybe more than 1) during her last few contracts.  Considering TIIC have wasted time and money paying for actors to fill roles that are not needed, she should hold out for better.  

• Love 1

It sucks that FV is using GH as an employee agency for his pets, and it sucks that money is wasted there. Full stop.

But soaps are not the cash cows they were in the '80s. Every actor has had the reality of slashed pay happen. So if more money is what BH is hoping for, I'm thinking she will be deeply disappointed - and without a job if that is a sticking point.

Time will tell how things shake out.

• Love 3

This isn't based on anything I have heard, but after the way her character was treated last year and doesn't even have a prenom to show for it this year, maybe she can ask for her character to be treated better. I would say non shitty stories, but you need non shitty writers/executive producers to pull that off.

Considering how tight money is, maybe they should think twice before they blow up a set. Is it cheaper to do such I thing than I think it is?

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 2

This isn't based on anything I have heard, but after the way her character was treated last year and doesn't even have a prenom to show for it this year, maybe she can ask for her character to be treated better. I would say non shitty stories, but you need non shitty writers/executive producers to pull that off.

I'd hope she'd know they could lie to her if that's the case. Probably why JT left. He was promised things for years that weren't delivered upon, too. Once she signs, they can go back to trashing Liz and BH would be stuck.

And, as said, it's hard to treat characters better when the writers have no imagination and just suck.

• Love 3

ulkis

If he is he's been going for years because I heard that ages ago. If he's not a lawyer by now, he quit.

Michael Saucedo

‏@MichaelSaucedo

I didn't finish Law School so ... RT @NikPriceWriter: @MichaelSaucedo @jaxse24 @kathluvsgh My lawyer has told me to delete this thread!

So, I saw that Ashley Jones is doing some episodes of B&B now.  The interesting (although not surprising) part of that news was that she's only shot two episodes of GH at this point.  So, yeah, sounds like the Kristina/Parker story is going to be left hanging for quite some time.  What great pacing, show.  By the time they get back around to it, a lot of viewers will have forgotten it was even a thing.  "Oh, yeah, Kristina and her professor..." 

• Love 3

So if more money is what BH is hoping for, I'm thinking she will be deeply disappointed

If that's the case, I agree with you.  But, if money is the sticking point in her contract negotiations, I would think it is more likely that she is just refusing to accept another pay cut rather than asking for a pay increase.  But who knows?

• Love 1

Unfortunately the Jiz story may have done more damage than BH may have realized. She was admittedly in a front burner story all last summer, and ratings didn't reflect an interest. They could use that as an excuse, that her 'A' story didn't bring any fans. Never mind that the story was a steaming pile of horseshit from jump for all involved. She didn't get a prenom for it, so they could use that as well as justification.

Y'all know I loathe her character with the heat of a thousand nuns (although ironically I didn't used to, until this story, heh) but BH seems like a team player and a nice person so BY NO MEANS am I saying they should do that, or that I agree with them. I don't. It's shitty. I've had bosses who have fucked up and then blamed me. That's exactly why I could see it happening with BH as well.

Now as far as the leaking info for leverage, if she did it, I think it's a risky move. ABC has pretty much proven as long as Uncle Frank continues to nickel & dime the show and bring it under budget, and until they have something viable to replace it, they have no fucks to give about how he runs it. Not a single one.

• Love 4