Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: Pour Some Sugar, Zombie

Liv consumes the brain of a recently murdered stripper and uncovers some extremely useful information. Meanwhile, Blaine isn't quite himself lately, and Ravi makes a startling discovery. Lastly, Major and Ravi are helping Peyton move back in with Liv when she receives a surprising phone call.

Promo:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

It was one of those great episodes where pieces start coming together and worlds collide and ... I love this show so much!

I even felt a bit concerned for GildaRita; no one should have that scary man haul you away anonymously. I fear she's going to be testing Super Maxand/ or the next level of that poison.

Major feeling compassion for a pet. I am pretty sure Major wasn't expecting that to be how he was found out. I wouldn't have thought Ravi was that ( excuse me) dogged about Minor. I am glad, story-wise, though. Only, what is Ravi gonna do with a Zombie Major?

Don E? This will not end well. I hope Chief comes out okay. I never thought I'd feel much outside of dislike for Blaine, but Amnesiac Human Blaine?  Watching him wipe down that slab was sad.

OMG, Peyton! "Pest Friend", indeed! Maybe now that Peyton has seen how Liv has to work, she will reel in the 'vision now, please'? Though, her wheedling Liv to go ahead and take stripper brain was funny.

So many reveals and actual sharing of information! So many other not-quite-told truths! *sigh*  I may have to watch this one a couple more times just to get everything for sure.

added a line to clarify my thought.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 2

Oh my god, this episode was awesome. I fell behind this season, but managed to catch up last week, and I'm so glad that I did.

First off, Ravi discovers Major's secret, AND Major is turning back into a zombie. That is going to be exciting; I knew it had to be a matter of time before Major followed suit to Blaine's return to zombie form. Now, is Major going to be able to explain what he's doing? I think once Ravi actually hears him out, he'll be less angry. Still angry, nonetheless, but less so. 

Blaine's human and with no memory! My god, the twists never stop here. And his two best men are zombies and they have all this information to take over the business. I like both Chief and Don E, so I'm going to be so sad if/when they turn on Blaine once he gets his memories back.

Peyton has fully embraced Liv being a zombie, and I love it.

The case of the week was mostly boring. I did enjoy the strip club scene with Peyton and Liv, though. 

So, Rita got kidnapped, probably by her own father to test Max Rager stuff, which sucks. I hope she makes it out alright. 

Also...did Ravi drug Major at the end there? It wasn't quite clear, but it looked a lot like he did. 

• Love 3

Wait, if Major is back to zombie form and Blaine lost his memory... what if Major loses his memory, too, before he can tell anyone about what he's truly been doing? Not good news for anyone, for sure.

Great episode packed with tons of stuff. I'm a little disappointed they didn't wring more humor out of stripper brain Liv in the second half, but I guess there just wasn't enough time. And as always, at least half of the chapter title puns fly right over my head. Oh well, at least the ones I get always crack me up.

• Love 1

Loved Liv giving Peyton a lap dance, Ravi doing his stripper dance, and the fact that things are finally coming together. I wonder if they're going to get back to Liv's family?

Oh, Major. I was hoping he wouldn't turn into a zombie too soon but I guess since we're getting closer to the end of the season it had to happen so that Ravi can race to find a cure.

I was trying to figure out why the latest cure succeeded in turning Blaine into a human but resulted in so much memory loss. Then I remembered not to apply any kind of science to fictional zombie cures.

Poor Ravi - he felt so betrayed when he found all that stuff in Major's safe. Props to him for doggedly trying to figure out the code to the safe. And man, did he know A LOT about Major since he was using Major and Liv's anniversary date, Major's dorm room number, and his pee wee, high school, AND college football numbers.

Despite the fact that Don E. and Chief have been doing a lot of the legwork running Blaine's business, I have no doubt that Don E. is going to find a way to monumentally fuck this up.

I'm with Peyton - CHANGE YOUR LOCKS, LIV! That is the first thing you do when someone moves out!

• Love 5

Ravi's striptease dance killed me. I love you, Ravi.

Major, Ravi, Liv and Peyton hanging out was a delight. I want them all to team up in solving zombie crimes together. And of course with Clive after he finds out about the zombie thing.

A new interesting twist with Blaine losing his memory! And Major turning back! Stuff is happening and it's exciting.

• Love 2

I had a friend who stripped for a while after her fiancé died (long story). They were an interesting group of ladies. There were some paying for private school for their kids or grad school for themselves, and some who were paying for drugs, and some who were using it to meet johns, and some who just didn't have any other marketable skills. If you've ever hung out at an after hours waiter bar, it's something like that.

Edited by Julia

Can I just say-- I'm stunned how much I like Major. Last season-- I really thought he was just a pretty block of wood (with the occassional funny line) but he's really grown on me.

The scene when the boys were helping Peyton move back in with Liv and her phone rang, and his "Booty call" (dirty look from Ravi) "Family emergency" in the exact same tone he said booty call-- made me laugh for far longer than it should have.

• Love 10
I think once Ravi actually hears him out

I hope that happens soon. I hate the trope where someone isn't allowed to tell some important information solely for plot reasons.

Also...did Ravi drug Major at the end there? It wasn't quite clear, but it looked a lot like he did.

I think Ravi dosed Major with the horse tranquilizer Major uses on his victims. If it was just to shut Major up, an overreaction, to say the least.

There were some paying for private school for their kids or grad school for themselves

I loved the stripper who was 3L at U-Dubs and debt-free, while Peyton was buried under payments. It was a good reminder not to get too judgey about people.

I wish we'd gotten a bit more of Liv on stripper brain—her snark was priceless—but this ep covered a ton of ground. Agent Dale Bozzio is getting closer to the truth about Major, too. Poor Ravi, having to lie to her.

• Love 3

I liked that we got some much needed forward movement on Major's plot, but I did not especially like this episode. As Tara pointed out in the recap, it was very strange that no one in the strip club had any kind of issue with Liv taking over one of the private rooms. I don't enjoy the cartoonishly hot-headed characters to be that interesting in general, so having a whole bunch of angry ladies spoiling for a fight was tiresome to me. And, that one who kept crying was a really, really terrible fake crier; that was a rough scene to sit through. MOST of all, I am disappointed that Ravi's dance was not directed at the camera! I would like to see that money-maker shake.

I did, however, really like Ravi this episode. I was very nervous he was somehow going to be harmed while investigating Major's doings, and I am extremely relieved the show did not go that route. I hope he and Major will have a substantial air-clearing next week, because not only has that secret dragged on for too long, I don't want Ravi to be sad.

Is there a timetable on Blaine's memory loss? It sounded like called Don E. by his twin brother's name, which I took to mean that Blaine has only forgotten his zombie years (from the original zombie-ing, not the reversion a few episodes ago). But I don't at all believe that pre-zombie Blaine was a kind-hearted considerate soul who drank decaf; has he forgotten all of everything about himself? Including his terrible childhood? I'm going to need some more parameters here.

ALSO, Liv - change your locks! Man, that was dumb. Also also, how long was she in the bathroom? It looked like the sun went down between Rita getting hauled away and the rest of the gang arriving.

• Love 2
The scene when the boys were helping Peyton move back in with Liv and her phone rang, and his "Booty call" (dirty look from Ravi) "Family emergency" in the exact same tone he said booty call-- made me laugh for far longer than it should have.

And then "butt dial" in the same voice. Yes, that was very funny to me as well.

But why are you giving your personal cell number to people (on your business cards!), Peyton? Maybe it was some sort of call forwarding thing.

I loved the stripper who was 3L at U-Dubs and debt-free, while Peyton was buried under payments. It was a good reminder not to get too judgey about people.

I could have used more of that. There was too much name calling and competition for me. I didn't like the brain/case of the week much.

ETA: Oh yeah, I meant to mention the BLT: brain, lettuce, and tomato.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 3

I couldn't work out how the BLT tied into the episode. Usually Liv's meals have some sort of tie in to the plot.

Ah ok, cross post. Strip brain. And I think there was also turkey on the sandwich, which had three slices of bread, making it a club sandwich. So it was a strip club. I'm happy now.

Edited by AllyB
  • Love 14

I'm confused about something and can't remember if I've missed something or the show has.

Blaine revived his father specifically so that his 'legal death' would be reversed and Blaine wouldn't lose his inheritance, but his father was included in the newspaper story about the Chaos Killer, so he hasn't gone public. Have we been told anything about what's happening with Angus?

It seems like a slightly ineffectual plan for Blaine, since he only inherits when Angus dies, and so if Angus goes back to his regular life, he can just change the will? But maybe Blaine is planning a natural death for dad and still has him locked up somewhere.

Edited by helent
  • Love 1

I assumed Angus was refrozen after he made the new video will.

I'm a little confused by that, because as far as I know it takes seven years for someone to be declared dead if there isn't a body.

I'd say they fudged the law in order to do the will story and have Blaine want to catch Major. It's a major (hee) plot hole but I will forgive them for it just for Blaine's awesome 'it's the future' gag.

• Love 1

I was annoyed that episode ended before that was resolved and was waiting for them to give us some resolution. Maybe they're saving it for the finale but it did annoy me at the time. Especially because Blaine's father being dead is one of the main reasons that the FBI suspected him.

And on that note, as awesome as this episode was, there was a point where Liv and Major were finally going to talk - he was going to tell her about "murders" and she was going to tell him about Blaine. If they had time for a beer and an awesome 'Friends' reference this episode, they had time for that talk.

• Love 3

I....actually didn't care for this episode very much.  I rarely complain about the case of the week, but this one took up waaaay too much time that would have been better spent on the real plots.  It didn't help that most of the stripper characters were really annoying.  The only bright point for me in the stripper murder case was the return of Johnny Frost.  I <3 that sleazebag.  He can come back on the show any time.

Also I still can't bring myself to care at all about Peyton's plot lines.  I don't hate her character, but it annoyed me that she took up time that should have been used on Rita's new found Zombie status (what a tease that opening scene was!), Ravi uncovering Major's side job as a Zombie-catcher, and the zombie cure finally wearing off on Major.

I'm also not sure how I feel about Blaine's amnesia.  I guess it's an interesting plot twist, but amnesiac Blaine seemed like he lost a lot of his personality when he lost his memories.  Hopefully it's just the shock that made him dull.

• Love 2

Liv on stripper brains.  Accompanied by Peyton.  Yeah, I don't care how by the numbers the case of the week is, when it ends ups involving Rose McIver giving Aly Michalka a private dance at a strip club.  I did like that the brains didn't just make Liv all stripper happy or anything, but just had the crass attitude of the victim, and the whole lap dance scene was an attempt to trigger a vision.  Again though, case itself wasn't all that.  Still, Johnny Frost!

Ravi finding out the truth (or at least part of it) about Major was great.  Loved how it was seeing a photo of Minor (sniff!) that helped trigger the suspicion, how he used that brain of his to figure out Major's safe combination, and then the confrontation.  Rahul Kohli has already established himself to be comedic gem on this show, but I thought he was fantastic in that scene, and Robert Buckley held his own too.  I felt bad for both of them, but I really do hope Ravi actually listens to Major once he calms down, and realizes that Major is doing this because Vaughn Du Clarke is threatening him with Liv.

Speaking of Du Clarke, I think that was his henchman that took the new Zombie Rita, so I wonder what he has planned for his now undead daughter?

Not surprised Blaine survived, but now he has amnesia that seems to have taken away his will and ambitions.  So, it looks like his henchmen are planning to step up. Can't see this ending well for them.  Or Blaine being pacified for too long.  You don't have David Anders play characters who are destined to be normal, I think.

Bozzio is still looking at that photo with Blaine and Major, so I have to think it's only a matter of time before she tries another run at Major.

Ravi, Liv, Major, and Peyton hanging out together was fun, although now I wonder what kind of Friends the guys are.  I guess if Liv is Rachel, that makes Major her Ross, while if Ravi really does have feelings for Peyton still, he's now Chandler?

I liked the myth-arc stuff, but the stripper stuff fell suprisingly flat. I love Rose McIver but she wasn't bringing it for that role. It may not have helped that I'm re-watching House of Lies and just watched the episode where Kristen Bell does a little stripper bit. I can't quite tell if she's supposed to be 100% embodying the personalities of her brains, a la Tatianna Maslany in Orphan Black, or if it's supposed to be somewhat filtered through Liv's 'sciencey white girl' baseline personality. By which I guess I'm saying, her stripper moves did not convince me. 

And the plot *amongst* the strippers felt like a long string of jokes that didn't quite land. Setup should have been comedy gold, but somehow it just whiffed. I felt like either they were rushed during writing or production of this one, or were distracted by the myth plot. 

I kept waiting for Major to walk in on Ravi during his safe-hacking. Great tension in that stuff. But I've loved Major ever since his S1-finale rampage. 

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 2
(edited)

I agree - Rose McIver is great as Liv, but a stripper she is not. Her awkward lap dance with Peyton was almost painful to watch. She was able to temporarily paint when she ate the artist guy's brain in S1 so I think that we're supposed to believe that she temporarily gets some of their physical skills/talents. Heh, maybe the stripper whose brain she ate wasn't a great dancer!

I remember that when she was preparing for her role in Petals on the Wind, she brushed up on her ballet skills (and she had previous dance training). There are some dancers who are really awkward at any kind of dancing without structure or choreography (there are also some dancers who make great strippers) so maybe Rose McIver is just not the kind of dancer who's comfortable with stripper-esque dance moves?

The way the safe scene was framed with the open door visible behind Ravi, I too was expecting Major to catch him trying to open it.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

There are some dancers who are really awkward at any kind of dancing without structure or choreography (there are also some dancers who make great strippers) so maybe Rose McIver is just not the kind of dancer who's comfortable with stripper-esque dance moves?

I presumed it was network censors who weren't comfortable. It's easy to forget that this show is on a broadcast network so it can't get as risque as something on channels like BBCA or MTV.

Johnny Frost

Was Daran Norris wearing fake teeth? His mouth looked so odd. I was very distracted by that every time we saw him.

I presumed it was network censors who weren't comfortable. It's easy to forget that this show is on a broadcast network so it can't get as risque as something on channels like BBCA or MTV.

Well, we got a "shit," so the censors can't be that squeamish. Besides, Liv and Peyton were fully clothed, and the point of the dance wasn't to be erotic or arousing (to Peyton, that is; if viewers found it so, that's a mileage issue), it was trigger a vision.

Edited by dubbel zout

Well, we got a "shit," so the censors can't be that squeamish. Besides, Liv and Peyton were fully clothed, and the point of the dance wasn't to be erotic or arousing (to Peyton, that is; if viewers found it so, that's a mileage issue), it was trigger a vision.

Did we?  I don't recall that (but the memory ain't what she used to be!!!).

I did have to rewind one of the interrogation scenes (& then put on the CC) to confirm that it was "frickin'" that Liv said and not "fucking".

I don't know; strip-club scenes are such a staple, even on broadcast TV. I can't imagine her receiving notes of "...and  make it look more awkward."

She was bringing more 'sexy' during the Fifty Shades episode, so we know she can do it. 

Edited by kieyra

It really was AllyB who got that it was a club sandwich.

So now, smartypants show & AllyB.

I'd never have made the connection that the brains were strips. It was a total team effort.

I'd love to watch how they work these out each week in the writers room.

• Love 3

I agree the case of the week was blah but the mytharc stuff had some great payoffs.

Ravi painstakingly trying safe codes and then slowly pulling out the contraband was great, and so was the confrontation with Major.  We rarely see Ravi angry and here it was so justified.  Good timing with the shot - I guess he know the onset of full-on zombie mode, and Major did say he was famished when he walked in the door.  I think we're going to see Major chained to a post when he wakes up.  And bringing Liv up to speed is going to get uncomfortable real fast.

That was a great moment with Gilda.  I hope they find her in the Max Rager basement when they either sneak in or storm the place.  Maybe she'll get to eat Vaughn.

Blaine's memory loss I didn't expect.  He seemed to know that he was missing things.  I suppose this means Major can be human too, as long as he is comfortable not knowing anything.  And of course Ravi and Liv will know everything he's done. 

I have no confidence in Don E and Chief as effective competition for Mr. Boss.

• Love 1

I have no confidence in Don E and Chief as effective competition for Mr. Boss.

Where Blaine seems relatively sanguine or zen, Don E  seems more jumpy and prone to not only be the boss but to use his own product. Blaine usually picks legmen who aren't planners in the way he is. Blaine loves a long-range plan.  He builds in contingencies and just does his thing. Makes lemonade out of zombie brew.  Don E doesn't especially strike me as that big a planner. Not that he doesn't have plans, but I am betting he isn't thinking about much other than taking over from Amnesia!Blaine and facing down Boss. Don E doesn't know everything Blaine does/did.  It will be interesting.