Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yeah, I'm not an idiot.  I know from my own experience with the word how "hocking" is used in slang.  I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood in NYC and my father was half Jewish himself.

On 9/28/2021 at 2:28 PM, Mondrianyone said:

😁 😁 😁

That's funny. I had (sometimes still have) a Noo Yawk accent. I was very conscious from childhood not to tawk like a Lawng Islander. (I mostly succeeded.) But no NYer would go so far overboard as to change "hawking" into "hocking." That's how midwesterners sound. But if you're up for a cup of cawwwfee, gimme a cawwl.

Yup, I was going to say that!

So Sunny is finally indoors - she was also on The Rachael Ray Show in her studio on Friday.  Will wonders never cease.

• Love 1
On 9/28/2021 at 5:26 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

It wasn't said at all.  A poster here wrote that Flay was "hocking" his book on the show.

It was said on the show.  Katie said Bobby was there "hocking" his new book and it sounded like hocking, not hawking.  Even the closed captioning spelled it "hocking".

On 9/28/2021 at 12:40 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

To be clear:  Nobody on the show used the word.

Again, yes they did, it was Katie.  See above.

On 9/28/2021 at 1:54 PM, Mondrianyone said:

And not only that, but "hocking" his book makes no sense. I grew up with a grandmother who spoke Yiddish, and "hocking" doesn't mean to constantly plug or hype something. In English it means to pawn something. In Yiddish the expression that occurs most commonly is Hak mir nisht keyn tshaynik! (spelling varies--a lot). It means "Stop bugging me" or similar. You can't bug a book, but you can hawk it--i.e., try hard to sell it.

The Yiddish phrase itself makes no sense and literally translated means "don't knock me a teakettle".  So why should any slang usage of its words taken individually make any sense either?  The meaning is not logical.  It's a figure of speech.

Two minutes in and I was ready for Sunny to be outside again. Her cackling is just too annoying. 

Again, I have no ideas what any of them made other than Alex's pasta and the bleeding cake. It says something I never remember what they make except Alex. I do remember Katie's shirt seemed to have cold elbows though. And I thought I hated the cold shoulder look. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Throwing Shade said:

The Yiddish phrase itself makes no sense and literally translated means "don't knock me a teakettle".  So why should any slang usage of its words taken individually make any sense either?  The meaning is not logical.  It's a figure of speech.

As with most idioms by definition, the literal meaning makes no sense. We say "kick the bucket" to mean die. Makes no literal sense, but we all know what it means. Same with hak in Yiddish, which I grew up hearing all the time in my own house, as an isolated verb. So I know what it means, and therefore I'm not as invested in this debate, which I'll now remove myself from.

1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

Two minutes in and I was ready for Sunny to be outside again. Her cackling is just too annoying. 

Again, I have no ideas what any of them made other than Alex's pasta and the bleeding cake. It says something I never remember what they make except Alex. I do remember Katie's shirt seemed to have cold elbows though. And I thought I hated the cold shoulder look. 

"C'mon!" Yup...annoying as hell, especially alongside bellowing Jeff.  Didn't they say GZ made the cake? With all the noise, maybe I heard wrong. And, yes, what was going on with KL's sleeves 😲

6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

"C'mon!" Yup...annoying as hell, especially alongside bellowing Jeff.  Didn't they say GZ made the cake? With all the noise, maybe I heard wrong. And, yes, what was going on with KL's sleeves 😲

They all seemed to do different parts of the cake. Alex "baked" it, Sunny made the raspberry sauce, Jeff made the meringue bones, GZ made the cream cheese frosting.  I don't remember what Katie did, frosted and layered the cake, maybe.

It really was a beautiful cake. Well, idk  if beautiful is the right word but it looked amazing. 

3 hours ago, Cozytea said:

They all seemed to do different parts of the cake. Alex "baked" it, Sunny made the raspberry sauce, Jeff made the meringue bones, GZ made the cream cheese frosting.  I don't remember what Katie did, frosted and layered the cake, maybe.

It really was a beautiful cake. Well, idk  if beautiful is the right word but it looked amazing. 

I agree with whoever said that Sunny could go back outside.  She is just too freaking noisy.  That Dead Velvet Cake was to die for!  I would love to make one.  Not sure who thought loading up the enchiladas with jalapeno peppers would appeal to children.  Probably someone who never had kids.  Katie's orange float looked good.  That's all I've got.

• Love 1

That cacio de Pepe pumpkin pasta looked fantastic and I appreciated they really showed how to make it from using less water to cook the pasta to melting the cheese into the pasta water. 
overall I thought it was a good episode, relatively calm w good cooking content

On 10/16/2021 at 10:15 PM, Throwing Shade said:

It was said on the show.  Katie said Bobby was there "hocking" his new book and it sounded like hocking, not hawking.  Even the closed captioning spelled it "hocking".

I didn't realize that; my original post was addressed to a poster who wrote "hocking."

I don't think Katie's West Virginia accent would reveal a difference between her saying "hawking" and "hocking."  I know that with my Texas accent they sound exactly the same.  When Katie says "put," it sounds like "putt" (like in golf).  I don't know what she does for "owl"; when I say it, it sounds just like the name "Al." 

I wouldn't put any stock in what the closed captioning says.  I use it extensively and it's at best kind of a guide to what it sounds like the people are saying.  I notice errors constantly, and when it's something I genuinely can't make out, chances are the captioner (be it man or machine) couldn't, either.  Grrrr.

As for the current episode, I liked it, and I'm happy to have Sunny back inside.  When they were talking about the Halloween pranks, Alex was genuinely asking Katie if she'd done the prank with her head.  That's the sort of banter I enjoy.

And that scene of Sunny falling down never gets old.

• Love 1

So someone in the cast or crew isn’t vaccinated? Masked? Careful? Sonny has serious risk factors for a bad COVID outcome and she’s back “outdoors”—but not grilling. So clearly uncomfortable with being inside, unmasked and not feeling safe.

Please pass Katie’s fig appetizer over here.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, buttersister said:

So someone in the cast or crew isn’t vaccinated? Masked? Careful? Sonny has serious risk factors for a bad COVID outcome and she’s back “outdoors”—but not grilling. So clearly uncomfortable with being inside, unmasked and not feeling safe.

Please pass Katie’s fig appetizer over here.

I'm wondering if FN flipped last week's episodes with this. I follow the Pioneer Woman and LAST Friday she had posted about flaming toast being in the Saturday episode and then Saturday, her episode had nothing to do with toast. But then today, that was the episode that aired. For what ever reason, all of last weekends shows had to do with Halloween meals/treats, which did seem a bit early. I guess we'll see if Sunny's back inside or out next weekend. 

Katie's appetizer was so very simple, but looked so very delicious. And not to put rumors out there, but is she pregnant again? There was just something about the way she looked today that made me wonder. 

I actually remember what they all made today! That's a first in a very long time for this show. I have to say, the thought of Alex's onion just grosses me out. I don't like onions, so the thought of eating a whole one the way she made it is really a no for me. I've never heard of an onion made like that as a side dish. I also don't eat steak, so GZ's filet did nothing for me either. I really didn't get the point of Jeff pouring a flaming drink on creme brulee other than lets see what we can set on fire. 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • Love 6

I tuned in just as GZ was salting the meat. I love beef so that dish made me want to reach into my TV and grab some off of Jeff's plate. So, what happened to Sunny? It was so much quieter (at least the part I saw)...even Jeff seemed a bit subdued (relatively speaking 😏) Alex's onions weren't appealing enough to make me want to try the recipe. Maybe they taste better than they look.

54 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I'm wondering if FN flipped last week's episodes with this. I follow the Pioneer Woman and LAST Friday she had posted about flaming toast being in the Saturday episode and then Saturday, her episode had nothing to do with toast. But then today, that was the episode that aired. For what ever reason, all of last weekends shows had to do with Halloween meals/treats, which did seem a bit early. I guess we'll see if Sunny's back inside or out next weekend. 

Katie's appetizer was so very simple, but looked so very delicious. And not to put rumors out there, but is she pregnant again? There was just something about the way she looked today that made me wonder. 

I actually remember what they all made today! That's a first in a very long time for this show. I have to say, the thought of Alex's onion just grosses me out. I don't like onions, so the thought of eating a whole one the way she made it is really a no for me. I've never heard of an onion made like that as a side dish. I also don't eat steak, so GZ's filet did nothing for me either. I really didn't get the point of Jeff pouring a flaming drink on creme brulee other than lets see what we can set on fire. 

I also think they flipped the episodes, too. I guess we shall find out next week?

• Love 2

I liked today's show - GZ's cocktail looked like a good holiday option (I just found a similar recipe w/maple syrup but also includes a little Bordeaux) and I liked his tip about pounding the filet. Katie's app looked so appetizing but I find burrata a challenge to serve on a shared platter. 

2 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I have to say, the thought of Alex's onion just grosses me out. I don't like onions, so the thought of eating a whole one the way she made it is really a no for me. I've never heard of an onion made like that as a side dish. I also don't eat steak, so GZ's filet did nothing for me either. I really didn't get the point of Jeff pouring a flaming drink on creme brulee other than lets see what we can set on fire. 

I actually thought Alex's red onion would make a nice addition to a serving platter but idk that I'd want to eat one. She had mentioned berries in creme brulee - I used to go to a restaurant in Connecticut that added some raspberries to the brulee and it's still my absolute favorite way to eat it.

But yeah, not only did I not understand why Jeff would spend time broiling a crust only to douse it with liquid - the final process looked like a great way to set all your guests on fire.

Edited by chick binewski
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

I also think they flipped the episodes, too. I guess we shall find out next week?

Yup me three.  I'll bet they show stuff out of order a lot and we don't even know it until something like this happens.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Yup me three.  I'll bet they show stuff out of order a lot and we don't even know it until something like this happens.

Totally agree!

Regarding Alex's red onion, I would make 1 as an accompaniment to a dish and cut it in 4 or more pieces as a side to a steak or roast. Eating the whole onion...no, not going to happen.

19 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Tonight on the Cooking Channel I saw an episode of Iron Chef America which was GZ's first appearance after having won the title.  Alex was his sous chef.  He won.

Saw that too, I like seeing these older shows before and just after they became Iron Chefs. I miss new shows, but I guess FN has just moved on...,ugg to Guy,, (and his son)

• Love 3

Iron Chef must have been incredibly expensive to produce, compared to their other shows. There was so much food and equipment. Plus you have to find chefs who are willing to compete, along with staff they bring with them. I saw a special on how they produce Iron Chef. I was glad to hear they donate as much of the leftover food as they can. There was no way all those mounds of different food products were all used up.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

And not to put rumors out there, but is she pregnant again? There was just something about the way she looked today that made me wonder. 

I wondered that, too. She had a little bit of a belly which is unusual for her, she is so stick thin. Even after having the baby she slimmed down quickly. Time will tell. 

• Love 2

Did Alex “literally” cook those onions? Or did she “literally” just reduce that sauce in that pot?   I do think someone who loved her would tell her to stop using that word.

11 hours ago, buttersister said:

Hello, my name is Katie/Jeff/Alex/GZ/Sunny. I speak trendy food! Or, rather, I read the teleprompter every. week. Can you see my eyes move from side to side? (Looking at you, Geoffrey.)

I wouldn't give a damn if I never heard the word "umami" again!  That and "literally", "moment", any cutesy shortened up version of a real word like dilush (dilution), and help me out here people!  Please get the staff a Thesaurus immediately for the sake of viewer sanity!  This has been a public service announcement!  😠

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Aunt Catfish said:

I wouldn't give a damn if I never heard the word "umami" again!  That and "literally", "moment", any cutesy shortened up version of a real word like dilush (dilution), and help me out here people!  Please get the staff a Thesaurus immediately for the sake of viewer sanity!  This has been a public service announcement!  😠

Don't some cooks/chef's on TV also say juuush or shuuush it up... can't remember that made up word they like to use. I'm sick of the cutesy wootsey stuff.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I noticed on today’s show that Alex wasn’t wearing her engagement ring.  And her hair looked amazing which might be another sign she’s single again !!!  (Don’t most women get a new hairdo after a breakup?)

37 minutes ago, Aunt Catfish said:

Watched this morning's installment.  My ears are still ringing (thanks Sunny).  And who knew that there was such a thing as Potato Milk?

I finally grabbed the remote and hit the mute button. My ears were ringing too. Yikes! Didn't see anything too appealing to make. But good grief...even Jeff seemed subdued compared with Sunny. She was wound up big time today.

• Love 3

I usually skip the comments during the tasting, because 99% of the time they're just a recitation of the ingredients we just watched go into the dish.  I get it--you have to say something, but it still bugs.

But today, Zakarian actually said something interesting when tasting Katie's eggs.  He said the heat was "behind it."  Then he said it's not a bus, it's a trolley, which was a little weird.  But I appreciated that he was sharing an observation instead of a list. 

Katie's chip bag folding thing was ridiculous.  Just because you saw it on the internet doesn't make it good. 

I've never liked regular bag clips; if I'm going to bother sealing something, I want it to seal.  I found these several years ago. 

https://clip-n-seal.com/

I have a bunch of different sizes, and keep them standing up in an old 6" tall plastic container right next to the chips and cereal.  They seal perfectly, and have no problem being in the freezer (sealing bags of frozen vegetables).  If the bag is wider than the clip, just fold the top into a V and make sure the open parts are above the clip.  Man, I love these things.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Here's my favorite way to seal chip bags, freezer bags, etc. The one I linked to isn't the brand I have, but same principle. You just hold the gizmo closed and run it across the open part of the bag. Voilà, heat sealed! And you really just need one. Ours has a magnet on the bottom, so it lives on the side of the fridge. Some have built-in cutters to open the bag, but most of the time you can just pull the seal apart. Easy peasy.

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Tried making those baked ranch pasta snack things because I thought they looked interesting. Uh… don’t bother. You are welcome.

I was wondering about that recipe. I'm surprised that it wasn't good (I usually like Alex's recipes), but then again, I usually avoid bowtie pasta--it can be doughy. Thanks for the warning!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I noticed on today’s show that Alex wasn’t wearing her engagement ring.  And her hair looked amazing which might be another sign she’s single again !!!  (Don’t most women get a new hairdo after a breakup?)

It seems like sometimes she wears the ring and sometimes she doesn't.  Her hair did look very nice.  Alex could use some styling help with her clothes.  Flattering things..she is a nice looking lady.

• Love 1