Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Bali Ha'i

• Start Topic

Once again the Breaking Bad callbacks are so well done. They aren't gimmicky in any way and actually, they enhance this show while never going so far as to veer the show away from what makes it different from its predecessor. I gotta say I geeked out when the Cousins appeared, even though I knew it was coming thanks to hints from the previews. I especially loved Dave Porter's musical callback... I believe that's the first time that has happened in BCS which has otherwise had a very different feel with the music.

• Love 5

I assume they just used period-appropriate stock footage from C-SPAN, and the voice was just the presiding officer of the Senate in that moment calling for Senator Daniel Akaka of Hawaii to vote or speak or whatever. I don't see any particular reason why they'd overdub his voice with Bryan Cranston's.

I just listened to it again.  I can see why the people on IMDB think it sounds like BC.  The voice is similar, and I might have been inclined to think that it was BC in a sneaky voice cameo too -- except for the fact that, as you said, there is no real reason for his voice to be saying "Mr. Akaka" in that scene.  if BC is going to eventually make an appearance on the show -- either as his pre-Heisenberg self, or full-on Heisenberg self -- I certainly hope we get some actual dialogue and not just a random "Mr. Akaka" thrown in.

Edited by Sherry67

Toaster Strudel, on 21 Mar 2016 - 9:51 PM, said:

If Kim takes the job she'll be litigating against Saul on the old age home case.

So is that why she's hesitant?

She won't though.

The guy made it very clear it was an obvious conflict of interest and she would not be on that case. 

ETA

Then again, they could be shady, or she might be worried about some kind of pressure to spill information.  Legal guys, want to chime in here on this kind of thing?

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 8

Yeah, she specifically would not be working on Sandpiper if she went over there.

As for pressuring her for info, it definitely could happen and she definitely could be wary about that being a motivating factor, but I imagine that they're such a big firm it really isn't worth it for them. I think either Jimmy did something underhanded or they just legitimately like Kim. 

• Love 2

Thinking about Howard as Barzini, is it possible that he is the one behind the offer to Kim...and that if she takes it, there will be a way to trap her in an ethical violation?

He really wants to burn her down, and this is just underhanded enough, that he might do it without leaving any fingerprints.It's true that Jimmy would not hurt his elderly clients, thinking it over, and Chuck's focus is on hurting Jimmy. It's Howard who has fixed his anger and resentment on Kim.

The spiel the Schweikert partner gave Kim over lunch was pretty elaborate, and designed to soften her up...seemed less than spontaneous on second thought. But I'm trying to figure what's in it for him...what kind of deal could he and Howard have made, without scuppering the case for HHM? Kim looked good in court, but not genius level...and he offered her partner track and to pay her student loans, based on that? Really? No wonder she's hesitating.

• Love 3

I must be missing something enormous.  

How on earth did that commercial air anywhere ever again?  Media is not known to give free airing to one-time knock-off clients like Jimmy, or even D&M.  It also had to be either a national cable net, or it was a local buy with the ABQ cable company.  Did D&M change their minds????  Or, did Jimmy screw with them again?!  Or, did I miss something ridiculously obvious which explains why the running of that spot is no biggie?

Kim is a fool.  Full stop.  She's fully entitled to forgetting her professional self, which she has slaved all of her adult life to establish.  She's what, 40?  44?   She has made her bed by staying single and going for partnership at a big firm.  But, no,  She wants to keep dipping her toes in the "bad boy" end of the pool.  It's also fine that she doesn't really believe in herself enough to accept the plainly better offer.  I do wonder, though, what the big deal was with "partner track?"  She's on that at HHM, although she has almost no shot getting it.  The carrot would be coming in at a Year greater than her current "4."   It was obvious to me that S&C would bring her in just below the standard year of partnership consideration (7 or 8 at most places I know of). 

This brings me to the taskmaster 4th year from hell who is terrorizing Jimmy.  Complete miss, for me.  Sure, she would be there to prod a little, but there is no way she would run roughshod over a 6th, like Jimmy, who was lead on a big case.   As a previous poster noted, that scut work we saw would have been done by others - likely in advance by that other associate who was in the room.  

So, both Jimmy and Kim bailed in the middle of important work.  Let's just see if they are made to pay for their afternoon delight.

I am also having trouble with Mike's code.  Nacho made assurances as to the clear path he had to whack Tuco as they did.  Nacho, if anything, owes Mike double.  I appreciated that VG at least had Nacho bring up the pickle he is now in.  I don't yet understand how Hector has missed the connection, or at least the possibility of one, to Tuco's troubles.

Bottom line for me this ep:  Unlike last week, I am with the bored camp after this one.  We had a complete rehash of grifter Giselle and everything in legal-land is as it was, and a relapse of Kim in bed with Jimmy.  Third verse, same as the first. 

• Love 2

I laughed at Kim going out for a seemingly innocuous lunch with a lawyer at another firm and getting an offer for a new position. When times are good, it seems that lawyers from different firms can't spend any amount of time socializing with each other without some casual poaching attempted. It can be almost like Smithers complaining in that one Simpsons episode "Can't a man walk down a street in this country without being offered a job?"

Kim's chosen alias of Giselle reminds me of an episode of Coupling, where numerous characters gleefully adopted the alias of Giselle ("ze French beech!").

So Jimmy can't sleep in his fancy new digs because he just can't get comfortable, and his coffee mug just won't fit in his fancy new car. Hmmm. It's almost as if the show is trying to tell me that something about his new situation just doesn't "fit" him or feel "comfortable," if you will. (I'm normally a fan of showing and not telling, but this is ridiculous.)

I loved the slow closeup of Kim's face as she listened to the "Bali Ha'i" message. I can see why Kim was charmed.

Kim is a fool.  Full stop.  She's fully entitled to forgetting her professional self, which she has slaved all of her adult life to establish.

Even though I think Kim's lack of interest in the job is stupid (especially given that it appears to stem from the tedium and hierarchy of big firm legal practice relative to the thrill and freedom in grifting), I get it. She's losing interest in the work now--not surprising given her treatment at HHM--and she was unintentionally reminded by Schweikart that senior lawyers screwing over juniors and throwing them under the bus is the way of the world. She has realized at HHM how tenuous her position is and how much she relies on the good opinion of assholes; she might be wondering whether she could expect anything different at S&C or whether she would just be trading one set of arrogant, duplicitous assholes for another. She might also be wondering whether she even wants to be doing much the same thing, something that doesn't excite her the way rolling around in the dirt with Jimmy does, for the rest of her career. If she's losing interest in it now, how much worse is it going to be when she makes partner? As they say, making partner at a law firm is like winning a pie eating contest where the prize is more pie.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 5

Well, at least we didn't have Chuck!

As for guessing what Howard's deal is?  Who knows?  All guesses are probably equally valid, the man's a cypher.  We know nothing about him, and at work, one minute he was the dupe of Chuck (or was THAT a lie?) punishing Jimmy reluctantly.  The next he's a complete asshole to Kim. 

Kim was annoying for me as well, I like her acting at times though, but her character is all over the map, probably on purpose at least.

That said, Mike, Hector, Nacho, and the cousins are saving this show for me, in spite of the annoying legal machinations that we are only partly in on, although I can certainly see why the show is fascinating for lawyers.  Of course, Odenkirk is a genius, I just adore watching him, but yeah, I didn't buy that he would take that much shit from Erin.

This brings me to the taskmaster 4th year from hell who is terrorizing Jimmy.  Complete miss, for me.  Sure, she would be there to prod a little, but there is no way she would run roughshod over a 6th, like Jimmy, who was lead on a big case.   As a previous poster noted, that scut work we saw would have been done by others - likely in advance by that other associate who was in the room.

The commercial was a new, boring wall of words style, not Jimmy's, AND it aired in the middle of the night, not during MURDER SHE WROTE when they are all glued to the television sets.

Still, are we supposed to think Jimmy and Kim are just bratty kids in their mid forties?  They play hooky from work to con people, and that's what gets Kim turned on?  If so?  WHAT?  She's not getting any younger, and I doubt she wants to work in a nail salon with Jimmy defending criminal criminals, although that might be fun for a while.  Watching Jimmy and Kim pair up in business, get married, get divorced, her career ruined, he becomes Saul?  Anything could happen with Vince, but I'm having a hard time believing Kim wouldn't have jumped at that "partner track" promise, and having all of her education debt wiped out.  Why?  Loyalty to a nut that has her make coffee and wears aluminum foil, and can't be around a phone or, you know, lights, or around Howard, who frankly, is either nuts, a wuss, or simply an asshole?

Anyway, thank heavens from the Breaking Bad bunch, and I hope we see Saul soon.  It feels like it's time.

So Jimmy can't sleep in his fancy new digs because he just can't get comfortable, and his coffee mug just won't fit in his fancy new car. Hmmm. It's almost as if the show is trying to tell me that something about his new situation just doesn't "fit" him or feel "comfortable," if you will. (I'm normally a fan of showing and not telling, but this is ridiculous.)

Yeah, I really do expect more from Vince Gilligan.  The anvils are falling on our heads.

I'm still thrilled this show is on, and hoping, hoping, hoping we see some of his razzle dazzle and complex motivations kick in with the Law Firms side of the cast.  Oh, and still hoping Chuck is electrocuted first, good actor, but I was over his story last season, unless there is a surprise coming soon, which given these writers, could happen, I don't need to see anymore of Chuck sabotaging Jimmy, even if it is completely justified.   I'm also looking forward to Rebecca's demise or splitting, she seemed interesting.  I hope we get scenes with Rebecca and Jimmy alone.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3

It really doesn't make any sense for the opposing firm to be in cahoots with Jimmy, to hire Kim away, as a means of getting inside info on the Sandpiper case. They're making a lot of money off the suit, win or lose, and it would be highly unethical, maybe illegal, to deliberately enter into a conspiracy to deprive the Sandpiper residents of effective counsel. The whole firm would be  at risk, for very little reward.

They have driven home long enough that Jimmy is a terrible fit for a traditional law firm, although I did love the fact that Jimmy's new bosses had no ethical objection, at the (literal) end of the day to a t.v. solicitation; they are just too dumb, in their stuffiness, to run an effective commercial. Jimmy has good reason to be mad as hell, and it looks from the previews that he is going to act on that anger, hopefully to humorous effect. I hope he has some scam in mind to get his bosses over the barrel, so they have to pay him to go away.

There is large irony once again in Mike, who in the future derides half-measures, once again puts what he loves most in great danger because of his own proclivity for half measures. If protecting your grandaughter is something you have fully thought through, there was only one course of action to take (other than disappearing from Albuquerque, which isn't an option he'll consider) when Nacho approached him with a propostion to clip Tuco. The thing to do would have been to kill  Tuco with the sniper shot, and then kill Nacho, perhaps even before collecting the money. The best way for  a hitman to avoid being ratted out by the person who hired the hitman, is for the hitman to kill the person who hired him. That would have only left the vet as a possible tie to the Salamanca crew, but he could go away too, if Mike thought it a real risk.

Mike is too soft hearted, which may seem strange, but it could be argued as well this quality

is what causes his demise at the hand of Walter White.

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 3

I noticed way too many closed doors in Mike's house.

Not everyone keeps doors opened in their houses. I know a lot of people who keep doors closed and when you're Mike and expecting trouble.. it only makes sense.  When a doors closed, a hit man can't shoot you in the kitchen from your bedroom.

I was not sure who was going to pop out from behind those closed doors, but Mike got off easy with the guys he caught.

I am pretty sure you MEANT to say the goons got off easy with Mike?  

• Love 3

I must be missing something enormous.  

How on earth did that commercial air anywhere ever again?  Media is not known to give free airing to one-time knock-off clients like Jimmy, or even D&M.  It also had to be either a national cable net, or it was a local buy with the ABQ cable company.  Did D&M change their minds????  Or, did Jimmy screw with them again?!  Or, did I miss something ridiculously obvious which explains why the running of that spot is no biggie?

Yes, you are missing that it's not the same commercial. It's the dry D&M version with the trademark nebulous blue waves. Cliff was open to the use of advertising and had done it before Jimmy arrived. They saw the success of Jimmy's commercial, and while still fuming at Jimmy stepping over them, created their own commercial that was in keeping with their "reputation" and branding. 

• Love 10

Yes, you are missing that it's not the same commercial. It's the dry D&M version with the trademark nebulous blue waves. Cliff was open to the use of advertising and had done it before Jimmy arrived. They saw the success of Jimmy's commercial, and while still fuming at Jimmy stepping over them, created their own commercial that was in keeping with their "reputation" and branding. 

That, and Jimmy had the sense to air it while people were AWAKE, and man the phones at the office.  No need for that this time, since they'll be lucky to get a single call.  I understood his frustration there.  As usual, perfectly acted by Odenkirk, that man is a genius.  One look from him does more than an endless Chuck monologue. 

Meanwhile, every single time I see a wall of words "call blankyblankandblank law firm IF" I think of this show.  Kind of like free commercials for them! Ha.  Tonight there was a real person, blond, pretty, semi professional looking standing in front of a wall of words about calling them if you lost your hair to chemo, specifically breast cancer patients.  UGh.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3

I'm annoyed with Erin, I know she's supposed to be annoying as hell, so, job well done?  Why didn't Jimmy just tell his assistant to do all that crap? 

I'm annoyed w/ most of this post and you're nit picking.. like about Kim's voice (no, Eminem is nasally, Rhea is not) or the car on the curb, like, seriously?

Odenkirk and Banks are so amazing, what a gift to have them both in the same show (again.)

Agreed.  Honestly, I think Mike's storyline is saving the show, right now.  I love the Jimmy stuff, but, it's moving too slow.

I had no idea what Nacho would say at the end when he gave Mike the $50K.  Wow, he just let him off the hook?  I didn't see that one coming, or Mike giving him $25K to make it easier.  A little too pat?  Maybe.  What happened to Nacho NEEDING Tuco gone?  Cold feet?

What are you talking about?  Who let "just let" WHO off the hook???  Nacho DOES need Tuco gone, but, he's also smart enough to know that his plan with Mike simply didn't work.  Nacho should've known that Hector would be a factor and Mike probably didn't know Hector existed yet.  Plus, Ray Cruz is staying around as Tuco, so, they need a way to keep Tuco on screen.  My bet is, you see Ray Cruz back next week.

I felt for Jimmy when they aired that dry commercial, and at a time when all the old folks were long asleep.  GAaaaahhhH!  Idiots.  Poor Jimmy.

Agreed, but, that's why Jimmy'll get the better of 'em all in the end.

So I am saying it now.......Jimmy is behind her job offer. Too much of a coincidence.

I am betting he is giving the other law firm info on the case in exchange for hiring Kim.

I am more interested in Mike and his situation though than Kim.

Mike reminds me more and more of Walt this season.

There's a HUGE difference between the genius of Mike and the genius of Walt.  Walt let his ego ABOUT his intelligence go to his head and it became his downfall.  Mike only slipped ONCE in his lifetime and that's when Walt shot him.  Mike was never greedy like Walt.

I wonder what Kim's hesitation about taking the job is all about. She doesn't owe Howard jack shit.

No, she doesn't, but, it's not about that.  She's being smart.  She doesn't trust Schweichert (however you spell it) and I don't blame her.  This could be a chess move on his part.

Who thought the bad guys would be behind the door nearest to the kitchen, since the camera kept it in sight in the beginning?  Nice misdirection there.  Loved the doormat trick, that's a new one for me, do they even sell carbon paper anymore?  Ha.

I didn't get the carbon paper trick.. what was that about?

Most importantly we know that she founded Ice Station Zebra Associates. I wonder if this means she goes into practice with Jimmy/Saul in the future.

What's always weirded me out about that is that my paternal uncles used to be HUGE ice fisherman and built a little tiny mobile shack that they painted "Ice Station Zebra" on the sides...  so weird.. that was 1980

Thank you!

It's still a big problem as D&M would have ceased running it a very long time ago, else they be seen as ambulance chasers.  They also would have heard it from others in the legal community as to how bland and boring it was.  It's a miss, for me.  Yet and still, it certainly was a powerful moment. 

I didn't get the carbon paper trick.. what was that about?

Mike put carbon paper upside down under the mat, with the copy paper underneath that.  If and when something pressed on the mat, it would imprint on the paper - which is exactly what happened.

• Love 1

I wonder what Kim's hesitation about taking the job is all about. She doesn't owe Howard jack shit.

I wonder if Kim isn't somehow scared of getting everything she wants and finding out its not everything she wants.  I just think of her, getting ready to make that call, with her phone out as she watches a woman getting into a Porshe and the date coming in to hit on her.  All that money, and it didn't make her life perfect.

Could also be the spectre of going up against Jimmy -- but I don't know.  Jimmy doesn't seem to care at all.  And I think it would be a clear ethical violation to continue working on the case.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1

She won't though.

The guy made it very clear it was an obvious conflict of interest and she would not be on that case. 

ETA

Then again, they could be shady, or she might be worried about some kind of pressure to spill information.  Legal guys, want to chime in here on this kind of thing?

I don't even know how much she would know.  It would be a huge ethical violation, and one that everyone from HHM and D&M would be watching for, so I couldn't really see how they could get away with it.  They would all be watching her with hawk eyes.  Although, I could see where she might be worried that the offer is so good that they would be hoping she gives them information....after all, if she left HHM for this other firm she would sort of be stuck there.  The timing of the offer is awfully suspect, as it seems they are still in discovery/planning phase.  

• Love 3

Kim is a fool.  Full stop.  She's fully entitled to forgetting her professional self, which she has slaved all of her adult life to establish.  She's what, 40?  44?   She has made her bed by staying single and going for partnership at a big firm.  But, no,  She wants to keep dipping her toes in the "bad boy" end of the pool.  It's also fine that she doesn't really believe in herself enough to accept the plainly better offer.  I do wonder, though, what the big deal was with "partner track?"  She's on that at HHM, although she has almost no shot getting it.  The carrot would be coming in at a Year greater than her current "4."   It was obvious to me that S&C would bring her in just below the standard year of partnership consideration (7 or 8 at most places I know of). 

This brings me to the taskmaster 4th year from hell who is terrorizing Jimmy.  Complete miss, for me.  Sure, she would be there to prod a little, but there is no way she would run roughshod over a 6th, like Jimmy, who was lead on a big case.   As a previous poster noted, that scut work we saw would have been done by others - likely in advance by that other associate who was in the room.  

So, both Jimmy and Kim bailed in the middle of important work.  Let's just see if they are made to pay for their afternoon delight.

How do you figure she is on partner track?  I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but I've known a few people that went in for that and it seemed to me that a 5th or 6th year associate is either put on partner track or they are kindly shown the door with a very long wind down so they can get another position or figure something else out.  I'm just wondering if her partner status at HHM was ever discussed, because I wouldn't assume its happening otherwise.

As for Erin, not sure, but she may have been specifically put "in charge" of Jimmy.  Cliff Davis indicated that he knew of Jimmy's reputation and Jimmy already has a big strike against him so they may have put Erin on him as a babysitter/bulldog.  Who is Jimmy going to complain to at this point?  Cliff Davis?  The other partners who didn't even want to give him a second chance?  I'll be interested to see if Jimmy can keep getting away with taking off in the middle of the day and doing everything else he can think of to sabotage his job.  And, I don't think the guy in the room is an associate, I think he is a legal secretary or paralegal.  This may be D&M's version of doc review to punish Jimmy.

It also seems to indicate that on some level they respect Jimmy's instincts, which is probably why he's not in doc review too at his firm.

Mike put carbon paper upside down under the mat, with the copy paper underneath that. If and when something pressed on the mat, it would imprint on the paper - which is exactly what happened.

I guess luckily the thugs were mouth breathers, because otherwise they would've heard the copy paper rattle when they stepped on it. Even if he had used rice paper or something less likely to make noise to capture the carbon footprints, the carbon paper would have rattled a bit too.

ETA: If Mike had put a really tight fitting hard layer under the paper, it might not have rattled. But it was just paper for the the bottom layer, right?

Edited by shapeshifter

It also seems to indicate that on some level they respect Jimmy's instincts, which is probably why he's not in doc review too at his firm.

I guess luckily the thugs were mouth breathers, because otherwise they would've heard the copy paper rattle when they stepped on it. Even if he had used rice paper or something less likely to make noise to capture the carbon footprints, the carbon paper would have rattled a bit too.

Yeah, I get the impression they didn't send in the A-team, those guys seem like they were pulled from the bench.  I guess when you get promoted you get a pair of truly, truly kickass boots.  I don't even know if there is an ass worthy of those boots!

• Love 2

I wonder if Kim isn't somehow scared of getting everything she wants and finding out its not everything she wants.  I just think of her, getting ready to make that call, with her phone out as she watches a woman getting into a Porshe and the date coming in to hit on her.  All that money, and it didn't make her life perfect.

Could also be the spectre of going up against Jimmy -- but I don't know.  Jimmy doesn't seem to care at all.  And I think it would be a clear ethical violation to continue working on the case.  Either way, it looks like Kim may leave HHM next week and team up with Jimmy/Saul.  That's the way the preview made it look

As I stated before, to someone else, I think it's obvious as all hell that Kim doesn't trust Schweichert and she shouldn't.  At this moment, she's technically at war with him and this could be a chess move on his part regarding the lawsuit.

• Love 3

As I stated before, to someone else, I think it's obvious as all hell that Kim doesn't trust Schweichert and she shouldn't.  At this moment, she's technically at war with him and this could be a chess move on his part regarding the lawsuit.

Could be, but I think as someone else mentioned it might be a silly chess move.  S&C is going to get paid either way, and its a pretty big risk.  You can bet that everyone at HHM and D&M would be looking for any sign that Kim is somehow involved in the case or giving S&C information.  Now, its possible that S uses some perceived ethical violation by Kim to get the case dismissed or delayed.  But I can't see how S&C walks away from that sort of thing unscathed so it doesn't seem likely.  And  I'm not sure its a trust thing with Kim.  She blew off Howard's assignment after the meeting, which reads to me like someone who has a "to hell with you, I got another gig" attitude.  She had the phone in her hand, ready to dial when she saw "the con" and did that instead.  However, you could say that she may have been calling him to tell him that she couldn't take the job, but if she wasn't going to take the job, she could have made that call after doing her work for Howard.

• Love 1

ETA: If Mike had put a really tight fitting hard layer under the paper, it might not have rattled. But it was just paper for the the bottom layer, right?

I doubt most people, including cartel thugs, pay much attention to the sounds a welcome mat makes when they step on it. Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 12

There's a HUGE difference between the genius of Mike and the genius of Walt. Walt let his ego ABOUT his intelligence go to his head and it became his downfall. Mike only slipped ONCE in his lifetime and that's when Walt shot him. Mike was never greedy like Walt.

I think there are a lot of similarities between Walt and Mike. Both turned to the illegal drug trade to provide for their families. I also think Mike might be just as greedy as Walt was at the start of BB.

Originally, Walt only wanted $737,000 to provide for his family after he died.

We know Mike put away $2 million for Kaylee, twice. Walt only started to get really greedy after he killed Fring and even then it was more pride than greed. I wonder if Mike is driven by pride as well. Being a badass, ninja fixer/enforcer is a lot more glamorous than being a parking lot attendant.

Mike's meeting with Hector was clearly an allusion to Walt's first meeting with Tuco in "Crazy Handful of Nothin'". Both of them stood up to a dangerous cartel leader, impressed them with their balls, and walked out with $50,000.

Also, both had Marco and Leonel threatening them and their loved ones. Seeing them threaten to kill Kaylee makes me think Mike must have taken great pleasure in finishing off Leonel in the hospital.

I think we are starting to see why Mike was both so annoyed by and had a soft spot for Walt. He sees a lot of himself in Walt.

• Love 5

I know that Schnekhardt or whatever his name is SAID that she wouldn't be working on Sandpiper.  But he looks like the incarnation of Satan and even the name of the law firm sounds vaguely evil.  The camera, the whole way the scene was setup was to make it look like he was manipulating her and playing her anxieties like a fiddle.

Kim knows some dirt on how Saul gets some clients... even though she may not work on the case they will ask her for you know... tips.  No way that Satan's attorney, who has the balls to try to hire his opponent in court to his side, will have the balls to ask her to compromise her ethics further.

And then there are the big banking clients she brought in.  What will happen with them?

• Love 2

I know that Schnekhardt or whatever his name is SAID that she wouldn't be working on Sandpiper.  But he looks like the incarnation of Satan and even the name of the law firm sounds vaguely evil.  The camera, the whole way the scene was setup was to make it look like he was manipulating her and playing her anxieties like a fiddle.

I'm wondering if Howard sent someone to Schweichert et al. to suggest they hire Kim to get info on at least strategies, with Howard's real motive being to get rid of Kim--perhaps because he knows she and Jimmy feed off of each other and would eventually tarnish the company name.
  • Love 1

I am also having trouble with Mike's code.  Nacho made assurances as to the clear path he had to whack Tuco as they did.  Nacho, if anything, owes Mike double.  I appreciated that VG at least had Nacho bring up the pickle he is now in.  I don't yet understand how Hector has missed the connection, or at least the possibility of one, to Tuco's troubles.

I think especially now that Nacho said he volunteered to bring the money to Mike, that Hector's ears should prick up if they haven't already.

Bottom line for me this ep:  Unlike last week, I am with the bored camp after this one.  We had a complete rehash of grifter Giselle and everything in legal-land is as it was, and a relapse of Kim in bed with Jimmy.  Third verse, same as the first.

Sadly, I am getting bored as well.  I feel like Kim is just doing a Jimmy.  He came home from Chicago after Chet's funeral and seemed to turn down the big promising job, only to take it and not fit.  It seems Kim is also enjoying walking on the wild side too much to ever really fit in the law firm life.  Maybe that can get interesting but right now it isn't. 

• Love 3

I love this show and I really hate that it's on Monday's at 9. Because of TWD on Sunday nights, this is my most tired night and I always have trouble staying awake. I end up rewinding a million times and still have to rewatch in the morning real quick before my kids get up. Anyhow, was I confused and nodding off, or did we get a flag waving inspiration for an eventual Saul commercial last night? 

And then there was the milquetoast D&M commercial. Wow. That had to sting. Here, we'll do a commercial, but we'll air it at 2 am and it will be so boring it will put anyone still awake right to sleep. Jimmy is utterly sick of not being able to do do things his way. 

This probably belongs in the spec thread, but all of HIS unhappiness with his current situation and Kim's hesitancy to take the new job offer makes me think that maybe they try to go into business together? Maybe they start their own firm, but something goes wrong and that's how things end between them? Kim clearly really enjoys the less scrupulous way that Jimmy does things, but I think this is just a summer fling for her and she doesn't quite know it yet. 

I definitely did wonder where this Schweigert (sp???) offer came from. I suspected Howard. He finally lets her out of doc review, but is treating her like dirt never-the-less. Once again, it seems like he did another favor for Chuck, and I think he's getting damn sick of it. I don't know why, but I suspect he wants Kim out of there. But why would Schweichert want her so badly? Is she really that good? 

The stuff with the Salamancas and Mike was very well done. I have never seen Mike that scared, and I was pretty darn tense myself! That scene of the brothers on the roof, while Kaley swam in the pool - totally chilling. It's interesting how many risks he is still taking, and I'm curious to see how he eventually ends up working WITH these kind of guys, not against them. 

• Love 3

I found the first half of this episode to be slow and not particularly interesting.  The second half was much better, with Mike dealing with Hector and the return of the cousins.  That was pretty awesome, as always.

Mike pulled a Princess Leia in Return of the Jedi when negotiating with Jabba the Hunter disguised as a bounty hunter.  He even argued for the same about of money, $50,000.  The only thing missing with a thermal detonator. 

Kim should leave HHM and I don't know what her weird fixation is with them.  She seems to love the bad/unhealthy relationships though.  Howard is an odd-looking person...he looked like a Terminator in that scene where he refused to talk to Kim.  I would have loved to have seen some reaction to Kim blowing him off to go to lunch.

I'm hoping for some movement on Jimmy's plot soon.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

After last season's reveal of Chuck's contempt of Jimmy, I'm calling that Howard himself contacted Schweikert to lure Kim away, either legit or as a trap to boot Kim. I can also see Erin stepping up, either for Kim's hours or getting Jimmy's work back to HMM.

I can also see HMM billing the crap out of this, then dropping it for a settlement which would screw over the Bingo Buddies. That would cause Jimmy to regenerate into Saul.

• Love 2

I loved that long tracking shot of Kim and Howard walking to the meeting. Howard is being such a dick. 

I don't trust the guy making Kim the job offer. 

Jimmy singing Bali Ha'i to Kim was wonderful. 

When Mike entered his house, the closed doors were scaring me. Knowing he survives to BB times eased my mind a little, but it was still a tense scene.

The first shot of the cousins on top of the roof, watching, sent chills down my spine. I'm glad I forget reading in last week's threads that their appearance was implied by the previews. I don't watch the previews because I want to be surprised. I wish people wouldn't comment on them here.

(I'm also wary of lots of speculation esp since major speculation on TWoP about a major plot point in BB's run ruined the revelation for me and others.)

I noticed the lack of continuity when Mike parked his car in front of his house, but it didn't bother me.

Last season it took me several eps to like Kim, and now I just love the character and the actress. I need to look her up and see what else she's done.

• Love 2

Who knew they still MADE carbon paper?

Yeah, the Salamancas are back. And with the unfortunate reminder that they're perfectly willing to murder an 8 year old child to get what they want. Back in BB land, they were not my favorite characters.

• Love 4

The showdown between Mike and Tio Salamanca was inevitable. The offer of $5k was an insult, whether it was meant as 'Sorry my meth-addled nephew beat the crap out of you' or as payment to divert the gun charge from Tuco. I am hoping that Mike comes up with a better story to give the DA. All of the explanations that Tio offered up were unbelievable and he did give Mike permission to come up with something else.

• Love 1

Seeing those cousins again made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.  *shudder*

I'm sick of Little Miss Nitpicky law associate.  I want Jimmy to screw her over (figuratively).

• Love 3

Seeing those cousins again made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. *shudder*

I'm sick of Little Miss Nitpicky law associate. I want Jimmy to screw her over (figuratively).

Jimmy should convince the cousins that she is a DEA informant. :)

• Love 3
As I stated before, to someone else, I think it's obvious as all hell that Kim doesn't trust Schweichert and she shouldn't.  At this moment, she's technically at war with him and this could be a chess move on his part regarding the lawsuit.

It's possible, but I think her hesitation has more to do with the fact that she's realizing that she doesn't feel the way she's supposed to feel about the opportunity. Thus her listless "Who wouldn't?" when Jimmy asks if she's excited about it.

Even though a senior lawyer casually trying to poach a junior lawyer on an ostensibly social outing is pretty standard, I do have to wonder about why S&C would go to the trouble of poaching Kim when HHM could scream bloody murder about a conflict of interest and try to boot S&C off what appears to be some very lucrative litigation. Even if S&C put in place all the appropriate measures to ensure that Kim would have no access to the Sandpiper work at S&C and would not discuss the case, put Kim to work in a completely different part of the firm, etc. etc., HHM would still raise a big stink to use it as a way to keep S&C from continuing to act. Even if HHM's attempt to remove S&C on the basis of a conflict was unsuccessful, resolving the issue could tie up the litigation even more. Nor would Sandpiper be happy about S&C making an easily avoided hiring move that would waste a ton of money and time due to what I can only imagine would be HHM's motion to remove S&C on the basis of a conflict. Why would S&C bother? Kim seems to be a talented, diligent lawyer, and up and coming law firms are always on the hunt for talent, but no one's worth that kind of hassle. If Schweikart believes so strongly in Kim's ability and potential and sympathizes with her current situation, he could find her a mentor, suggest opportunities he'd heard about elsewhere, etc. etc.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2

Rhea Seehorn will be turning 44 soon. I don't know how old Kim is supposed to be. Normally, if someone goes straight through college and law school with no Masters degrees, breaks or clerkships, 44 seems a little old to be a law firm associate (again, with no breaks, other degrees or first careers). However, this isn't the case for Kim. She was working in the mailroom as an intern in her 30s, according to Rhea Seehorn's description of Kim's backstory--usually a straight out of college-type position, as the actress acknowledges--meaning that there was a significant hiatus for Kim between college and law school and she probably didn't finish law school until her late 30s. Given that, Kim being 44 seems entirely plausible.

Yeah, I think the math works out for Kim.  Associate track in Big Law (though I have a hard time calling either HH&M or Davis & Main "Big Law" -- they may be big firms for New Mexico, but they're not cracking the AmLaw 200) is usually about 7 years, and it's a solid 7 years.  I worked with someone truly brilliant who'd built a strong client base, and they actively turned down early promotion to partner because of the bad taste it had left in people's mouths for prior early promotees.  If she worked for even 5 years post-college, law school is either 3 years (full-time) or 5-6 years (part-time), and she's clearly a mid-level associate.  Early 40s doesn't seem off to me, though she is likely to be older than her peers.

Law is a very reputation- and relationship-based business.  I have seen people leave a firm and then be persona non grata to both the firm they departed and certain clients who feel abandoned.  Kim brings the bank client on and then leaves before they really dig in?  That looks bad.  It can also be hard to break into work at the new firm because some attorneys don't like laterals that they have not seen "pay their dues" within the organization.

In Kim's shoes, I would aboslutely make the move, but I understand her hesitation, both from a loyalty and a career-impact perspective.

Instead, she's moved on to actually try conning people for MONEY?  Not just drinks and dinner, but actual money? 

I thought that, when she and Jimmy were talking at her apartment, one of them made a comment about it being a souvenir/memento from their con.  I didn't get the impression that either of them was going to cash the check.

I was surprised that someone as wiley as Mike would go to the hotel where his grandchild was. He had to know he was being followed.

I was really surprised that Mike was that careless with his granddaughter's safety -- both leading the creepy Cousins to Kaylee and also going to the meeting with the cartel by himself.  I got the sense that he let Tuco beat the shit out of him as some sort of personal penance that also generated cash for his granddaughter, but he is no good to Kaylee dead.  He must have been very confident that Tio wasn't going to off him because I wouldn't put it past the Cousins to go after his family after Mike was not there to defend them.

Thankfully, he gets it back together, and manages to convince Hector to give him $50,000, in order to say it was his gun instead.  And he naturally gives half of it back to Nacho because while he might be dealing with criminals, Mike does have a code.  Mike continues to be the best.

I'm not sure how much of this is Mike's "code" versus loyalty and relationship-building.  He's basically building an ally for himself within the Salamanca empire.  Same with the guys in prison he was continuing to pay in Breaking Bad.  That was hush money and keeping his team loyal to him.

I am kind of ready to see some proto-Saul Goodman next week.  "Colorful", indeed.

• Love 4

Mike had Tio S over a barrel from the get go.

Tuco is/was a loose cannon and while he was in the clink, out from under the influence of Tio - There was also the possibility of law enforcement offering him a deal for a suspended/shortened sentence.

Tio had to get him out of jail by hook or by crook, So, moving against Mike wasn't an option.

Mike did show huevos del tamano de la casa during the meeting, but it was going to be in his favor anyway, so he could pretty much name his price and get any concessions from Tio?

It should be pointed out again what a moron Howard is, treating an associate, who just demonstrated the ability to reel in a client who is worth millions in present cash value, like the way Howard treats Kim. A good way for a big law firm to to become a small one, or a dissolved one, is to drive away talent that has the ability to reel in big clients.

Sadly, I don't find the writing non-credible, especially with a female employee, and a partner/owner who is running a business built by a parent. Heirs, given the reins of a substantial enterprise, are not infrequently dumpster fires, and fly the whole shebang into the ground, like a plane that has its wings fall off. Talented female employees, in my experience, are much more likely to be slow to fully grasp their value to a business, compared to similarly talented male employees, and thus are more slow to act on that realization.

I think the writers may have erred a bit in making Jimmy as slow as he has been to fully reject the traditional law career (although I think his desire to please Kim has played a believable role in this, in my opinion), but Kim's reluctance to firmly decide to bolt from Howard has been credible to me, so far. It's not as if it has been months since she reeled in the big fish.

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 7
Yeah, I think the math works out for Kim.  Associate track in Big Law (though I have a hard time calling either HH&M or Davis & Main "Big Law" -- they may be big firms for New Mexico, but they're not cracking the AmLaw 200) is usually about 7 years, and it's a solid 7 years.  I worked with someone truly brilliant who'd built a strong client base, and they actively turned down early promotion to partner because of the bad taste it had left in people's mouths for prior early promotees.  If she worked for even 5 years post-college, law school is either 3 years (full-time) or 5-6 years (part-time), and she's clearly a mid-level associate.  Early 40s doesn't seem off to me, though she is likely to be older than her peers.

The very youngest of Kim's peers would be 22/23 (graduate college) + 3 (graduate law school) + 4 (four years at the firm) = 29/30. Again, that's assuming that they go straight through, and a lot of associates take breaks in between degrees, come to law as a second or even third career, do clerkships, or have graduate degrees.

I think Kim said in this episode that she had spent six years in the mailroom, and she had been at HHM for 10 years, so 4th year associate (mid-level) sounds about right. Even in an ideal world where she was still in Howard's good books, she would still have a few years to go before being considered for partnership.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

I thought that, when she and Jimmy were talking at her apartment, one of them made a comment about it being a souvenir/memento from their con. I didn't get the impression that either of them was going to cash the check.

I was really surprised that Mike was that careless with his granddaughter's safety -- both leading the creepy Cousins to Kaylee and also going to the meeting with the cartel by himself. I got the sense that he let Tuco beat the shit out of him as some sort of personal penance that also generated cash for his granddaughter, but he is no good to Kaylee dead. He must have been very confident that Tio wasn't going to off him because I wouldn't put it past the Cousins to go after his family after Mike was not there to defend them.

I think jimmy asked if she was going to cash it. She said it was going to be a souvenir. I think Jimmy would have had no problem if she wanted to cash it.

As for Mike, I agree that it felt a little careless with Kaylee but I attribute that to not fully realizing the extent of who he's dealing with. He's smart but perhaps a little less so than he will be by the time we hit Breaking Bad.

I don't understand the theories that someone set up the job offer for Kim. I don't think Jimmy has the clout and I've already talked about why I don't think he'd sabotage his clients but Howard doing it doesn't make any sense to me either. He's mad at Kim but if he really wanted to hurt her, it'd make far more sense for him to fire her and be very tight lipped about why he did it if potential employers ask. People will fill in the blanks with potential violations far uglier than what happened.

I don't think the offer is as straight forward as it seems but I also don't see some convoluted, massive conspiracy either.

• Love 7

I think jimmy asked if she was going to cash it. She said it was going to be a souvenir. I think Jimmy would have had no problem if she wanted to cash it.

Oh, absolutely, I have no doubt that JIMMY would have kept it, but the comment was about Kim having graduated to grifting for cash.  For Jimmy, this is a way of life, a career.  For Kim, it's like a budding addiction, a flirt with danger.

• Love 2

Mike had Tio S over a barrel from the get go.

Tuco is/was a loose cannon and while he was in the clink, out from under the influence of Tio - There was also the possibility of law enforcement offering him a deal for a suspended/shortened sentence.

Tio had to get him out of jail by hook or by crook, So, moving against Mike wasn't an option.

Mike did show huevos del tamano de la casa during the meeting, but it was going to be in his favor anyway, so he could pretty much name his price and get any concessions from Tio?

Yeah, Mike and Tio are both smart enough to grasp the correlation of forces at play here. Tio needs Mike alive,and not completely in burn-the-world-down mode, as a result of his granddaughter being harmed. Mike needs his granddaughter left alone (I don't think Mike is personally fearful of death at all, at this point in his life, except to the extent that he hasn't provided for his granddaughter yet) . 50 k is a rational price, and they both know it, even if it still requires Mike to have some ice water in his veins to ask for it.

Tio may also already be grasping that Mike has a useful skill set that Tio may have need of at some point in the future. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the writers add Gus to the mix.

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 4

I disagree.  He wouldn't want her to risk jail and her career for $10K.  They didn't cash the check that they got from that earlier scam. 

I think one of the reasons Kim doesn't shine with HHM is that she's too familiar to them.  It's sort of like that "prophet in his own country" thing, or partners in a long relationship -- no mystery.  They've known her for ten years.  They know everything she can do.  They take her for granted. 

I don't think Jimmy had anything to do with the Schweikart offer -- at least not directly.  He's nobody to them. 

Yeah, Mike and Tio are both smart enough to grasp the correlation of forces at play here. Tio needs Mike alive,and not completely in burn-the-world-down mode, as a result of his granddaughter being harmed. Mike needs his granddaughter left alone (I don't think Mike is personally fearful of death at all, at this point in his life, except to the extent that he hasn't provided for his granddaughter yet) . 50 k is a rational price, and they both know it, even if it still requires Mike to have some ice water in his veins to ask for it.

Tio may also already be grasping that Mike has a useful skill set that Tio may have need of at some point in the future. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the writers add Gus to the mix.

The main play for Mike was to keep his GD/DIL safe. I think that the price was just a starting point for the negotiations - 50k to a crank biz is nothing? Tio could have countered with less, but I think that Mike was mostly looking for that 'gentleman's agreement', in order to keep them off the radar screen?

Meanwhile, every single time I see a wall of words "call blankyblankandblank law firm IF" I think of this show.  Kind of like free commercials for them! Ha.  Tonight there was a real person, blond, pretty, semi professional looking standing in front of a wall of words about calling them if you lost your hair to chemo, specifically breast cancer patients.  UGh.

We have two local laywers/law firms here in town, One runs commercials where he calls himself 'The Hammer' - I laugh, he's 'The Hamster' to me.

The other is a very funny billboard, it's simple and says something like Call Crooks Law - the founding lawyer being named "Crooks".......

• Love 3

The main play for Mike was to keep his GD/DIL safe. I think that the price was just a starting point for the negotiations - 50k to a crank biz is nothing? Tio could have countered with less, but I think that Mike was mostly looking for that 'gentleman's agreement', in order to keep them off the radar screen?

It likely would have been more dangerous to the GD/DIL for Mike to simply ask for 5k, or worse, to meekly accept Tio's statement that money was now off the table. Mike had to communicate to Tio that he is smart enough to understand what leverage he has, and that he has the guts to use it. To not do so might give Tio the idea that he can expose GD/DIL to danger without dowside to Tio. Demanding 50k, and telling Tio he's willing to die right then and there, killing Tio in the process, if the demand isn't met, tells Tio that the smart thing to do is to pay out what is small sum by cartel standards, to get Tuco out quickly.  

• Love 5