Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Bali Ha'i

• Start Topic

How old is Kim supposed to be?  Close up she looks mid-forties in that video.

Rhea Seehorn will be turning 44 soon. I don't know how old Kim is supposed to be. Normally, if someone goes straight through college and law school with no Masters degrees, breaks or clerkships, 44 seems a little old to be a law firm associate (again, with no breaks, other degrees or first careers). However, this isn't the case for Kim. She was working in the mailroom as an intern in her 30s, according to Rhea Seehorn's description of Kim's backstory--usually a straight out of college-type position, as the actress acknowledges--meaning that there was a significant hiatus for Kim between college and law school and she probably didn't finish law school until her late 30s. Given that, Kim being 44 seems entirely plausible.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 7

Alternately very exciting and very annoying episode!

Go Mike!  Thank God I know you live or I would have been scared witless.  SO GOOD!  Although, why show him parking with the wheels scraping the curb, and then in the next shot show him with 5 inches clearance.  Looking for every little clue in this show can lead to a clunker.

Just take the damn partner track job Kim, what the hell is wrong with you?  (Part of the annoying factor.)  Also, she has an extremely nasal voice, but great facial expressions.  Jimmy gives her such good advice at the end about taking the other job, but the cup not fitting was a bit of an anvil, we get it, the new job doesn't fit.  I was happy to see him destroy the cupholder, but again, anvils about him destroying his new job falling?  If Kim doesn't take that other job I think I'll want to smack her, or at least go into private practice, get away from Howard!  What's she dreaming of anyway, becoming a two bit hustler?  Forget the law?  Bail? 

Yay!  More Breaking Bad people, the thing saving this show so far, well, and Odenkirk being interesting no matter what he does.  Although, since I'm struggling with insomnia myself?  Nailed that whole thing writers!  I loved that he couldn't sleep in his fancy new place, but went out like a tired toddler back at the nail salon.  Still, I loved seeing the cousins again.  I expected this to be less Breaking Bad heavy, but looks like they are going a different direction, and I'm good with that.  Hector and Nacho are so defined and interesting, we all guessed Kaylie would be threatened, but still, it was done perfectly.

I'm annoyed with Erin, I know she's supposed to be annoying as hell, so, job well done?  Why didn't Jimmy just tell his assistant to do all that crap? 

Odenkirk and Banks are so amazing, what a gift to have them both in the same show (again.)

I had no idea what Nacho would say at the end when he gave Mike the $50K.  Wow, he just let him off the hook?  I didn't see that one coming, or Mike giving him $25K to make it easier.  A little too pat?  Maybe.  What happened to Nacho NEEDING Tuco gone?  Cold feet?

I felt for Jimmy when they aired that dry commercial, and at a time when all the old folks were long asleep.  GAaaaahhhH!  Idiots.  Poor Jimmy.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 5

So I am saying it now.......Jimmy is behind her job offer. Too much of a coincidence.

I am betting he is giving the other law firm info on the case in exchange for hiring Kim.

I am more interested in Mike and his situation though than Kim.

Mike reminds me more and more of Walt this season.

• Love 8

I wonder what Kim's hesitation about taking the job is all about. She doesn't owe Howard jack shit.

Because Jimmy doesn't have the monopoly on making dumb, self-destructive choices?

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 5

So I am saying it now.......Jimmy is behind her job offer. Too much of a coincidence.

I am betting he is giving the other law firm info on the case in exchange for hiring Kim.

I am more interested in Mike and his situation though than Kim.

Mike reminds me more and more of Walt this season.

I don't think Jimmy would sell out all the old people that way. I could see him screwing HHM and D&M but not his bingo buddies.

• Love 11

At first I thought it may have been Chuck who set up the guy offering Kim the job, so he could run back to Howard and tattle on her, letting him know that she was planning to leave.  Also, he could just get her out of his hair because he probably knows that she doesn't like how he is treating Jimmy, and she doesn't like Chuck.   But it wouldn't upset Jimmy if Kim took the other job, and Chuck would mainly want to bug Jimmy, so there went my theory out the window.

Edited by Sherry67

No? Do you know what is was and where I could find it? Please? Youtube maybe?

Lost my PVR access for the night, but I recall the words looking vaguely middle eastern, maybe even Hebrew. I don't know. Title started with H, sounded like a name. Sorry for being of no help.

• Love 1

It's interesting speculation to think that Jimmy set this up for Kim, but why wouldn't another firm want to snap her up?  So, not sure about that.

I just realized I loved this episode in part because Chuck wasn't in it. 

Who thought the bad guys would be behind the door nearest to the kitchen, since the camera kept it in sight in the beginning?  Nice misdirection there.  Loved the doormat trick, that's a new one for me, do they even sell carbon paper anymore?  Ha.

• Love 6

We learned lot about Kim tonight. She also worked her way up from the mailroom and owes tuition money. I guess she didn't go to the University of American Samoa or she could have probably paid it off with her 3rd paycheck.

Most importantly we know that she founded Ice Station Zebra Associates. I wonder if this means she goes into practice with Jimmy/Saul in the future.

• Love 5

I had no idea what Nacho would say at the end when he gave Mike the $50K.  Wow, he just let him off the hook?  I didn't see that one coming, or Mike giving him $25K to make it easier.  A little too pat?  Maybe.  What happened to Nacho NEEDING Tuco gone?  Cold feet?

I think once Hector and the Cousins got involved -- and especially once they started threatening Kaylee -- Nacho knew they needed to cut their losses. He may have no compunction about killing his cousin, but he seems to draw the line at killing small children.

• Love 3

I think once Hector and the Cousins got involved -- and especially once they started threatening Kaylee -- Nacho knew they needed to cut their losses. He may have no compunction about killing his cousin, but he seems to draw the line at killing small children.

He's like an emu-faced Jesse.

• Love 5

I loved Breaking Bad, but I almost enjoy Better Call Saul even more, as it is so much more grounded (while still having action, of course). This is really an outstanding TV program. Every time I think we're going to run out of awesome current TV shows with shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men ending, we get shows like this one. Thank goodness.

• Love 19

Giselle is desperate to bust out of her shell and do something wild and rule-breaking.

I think to a point.  But I saw her con more like going on a bender.  She did it.  She got high off of it.  She crashed the next morning whereas Jimmy seemed invigorated.  I could be wrong but while I think she wants escape (she had a similar expression on her face when Jimmy was singing to her as she had when she was getting the job offer), I don't think she wants to break bad.

I agree with those above, I don't see Jimmy screwing his clients like that.  Jimmy gets shady for his clients. I don't recall him ever being shady agains them.

I wonder what Kim's hesitation about taking the job is all about. She doesn't owe Howard jack shit.

HHM has familiarity to her and nurtured her from the mailroom to the bar.  They're in a bad place right now but that hasn't always been the case even during this show.  Ten years tough to let go of even if it makes sense career wise and even if it weren't from a firm in such conflict with her current firm.  And I think that's part of what's holding Kim up.  Dennis Boutsikaris tends to play lawyers with a hidden agenda and it's just a wee bit of a coincidence that he wants to poach her from the opposing firm.

And maybe that's what the con was about--Kim testing herself.  Deep down, she might know she'll be asked to violate her ethics if she switches firms and is she capable of it?  Or maybe I'm way off base. 

I have to say I absolutely loved the "Welcome Mat"/cabon paper trick.  It made me fondly recall one of my favorite Breaking Bad sequences from Full Measures.

• Love 7

Yeah, but there is time to cut your losses, put on you big girl panties and get on with your life.

Instead, she's moved on to actually try conning people for MONEY?  Not just drinks and dinner, but actual money? 

• Love 4

Someone on IMDB is saying that he/she thinks that there was a Bryan Cranston voice cameo.  He/she said it was when Jimmy couldn't sleep and turned on the TV. Supposedly the voice on TV that said "Mr. Akaka" sounded like BC's voice.  I heard the Mr. Akaka very clearly, but I didn't pick up BC's voice.  Now I have to watch it again. Did anyone else catch that?

Edited by Sherry67

I was surprised that someone as wiley as Mike would go to the hotel where his grandchild was. He had to know he was being followed.

I like Dennis Boutsikaris. Good to see him. I had one of those copper cups when I was a kid. My father was a hotel manager and the lounges in the hotel would get promo swag like that. The one I had was from Smirnoff.

Judging from the preview for next week, it looks as if Saul Goodman is emerging.

• Love 3

Was it Cranston or wasn't it? On principle, I like the uncertainty.

I'm watching it again. I remember the Mr. Akaka part as Jimmy was watching TV, but the voice did not jump out at me as being BC's voice.  But now I am curious so I have to listen!

I'm watching it again. I remember the Mr. Akaka part as Jimmy was watching TV, but the voice did not jump out at me as being BC's voice.  But now I am curious so I have to listen!

I assume they just used period-appropriate stock footage from C-SPAN, and the voice was just the presiding officer of the Senate in that moment calling for Senator Daniel Akaka of Hawaii to vote or speak or whatever. I don't see any particular reason why they'd overdub his voice with Bryan Cranston's.

• Love 4

Because she'd rather stay and fight for what she's earned?  Even if she decides to go with Schweikart, it wouldn't do to respond too quickly -- she has to make 'em wait. 

I wonder if someone at HHM has talked to someone at Schweikart about what's going on with Kim.  Maybe it wasn't just Kim being sent to argue that lost cause that made them think she wasn't being treated well. 

I like that the check won't be cashed.  It's fun to think of that jerk wondering when that $10K check was going to hit his bank. 

Hoping that the DA won't accept Mike "confessing" that the gun was his and that Tuco still goes to jail.  Speaking of that gun, what if it can be traced to a crime?  Mike will be in deep shit.

• Love 2

Ah, bouts of insomnia before the age of Netflix!  Had Better Call Saul been set now, I'm sure Jimmy would have been able to do without the bouncing balls and infomercials, and just have a nice evening binge on something like House of Cards, Daredevil, Mad Men, or maybe some show called Breaking Bad I heard so much about!  I think he'd might like that one!

Hector not only returns but he brings the Salamanca cousins with him! Those motherfuckers still have the amazing ability to just pop out of nowhere like snazzy dressed horror monsters.  And I loved that it was them that caused Mike to have his first legit scare.  Obviously, anyone would have probably unnerved Mike at that moment with his grand-daughter, but the cousins in general would be the two that really throw him off for a second.  Thankfully, he gets it back together, and manages to convince Hector to give him $50,000, in order to say it was his gun instead.  And he naturally gives half of it back to Nacho because while he might be dealing with criminals, Mike does have a code.  Mike continues to be the best.

So, Jimmy continues to try and hold back his inner Saul, despite the pain it obviously causes (and I'm starting to think Erin is actually enjoying this.)  Meanwhile, Hamlin is now driving Kim to the point that she slips back into "Gisele", and they pull another con off.  I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be her fate. Just like Jimmy will become Saul, Kim will become Gisele.  Or maybe it was just a lapse, and she'll take Dennis Boutsikaris' offer.  I hope she does, because she clearly will never get back in Hamlin's good graces.  I guess the problem is if there are alternative motives to the offer.  Like if Jimmy or even Chuck are behind it.

Noticed they had some former Breaking Bad folks behind the camera, with Gennifer Hudson as the writer and Michael Slovis as the director.  There were a definitely a few shots that reminded me of Slovis' past BB episodes.  But I think it is safe to say that Vince Gilligan created a television show family with the BB crew, and they are all for reunions.

• Love 7

Jimmy serenading Kim with "Bali Hai" had me roaring.  Guess South Pacific was the musical of the week and it appeared to me like Kim didn't want to leave for work until Jimmy called with the day's song (I'm assuming one of the songs during the week was "Happy Talk!").  I found it so sweet and adorable and how could you be mad at a guy who does that? 

The turn of events with Mike and the Salamancas probably means that Nacho will now have to curtail his extracurricular side business to lessen the chance of Tuco finding out about it.

• Love 8

Hoping that the DA won't accept Mike "confessing" that the gun was his and that Tuco still goes to jail.  Speaking of that gun, what if it can be traced to a crime?  Mike will be in deep shit.

I think Tuco is still going to be charged with assault and maybe theft - didn't he have Mike's wallet? And I agree with your guess about the DA not accepting Mike's claim the gun belongs to him. Perhaps they will infer he is being pressured to confess to such?

• Love 3

I loved Jimmy making the car cup fit at the end. It felt like something I might've done.

And it bookended the beginning with Kim's happy face (no "sad puppy eyes") at hearing Jimmy serenading her on the phone.

It's sad to know a few years later they're not together unless Gilligan does a retcon.

I missed considering the motive for the offer beyond her being badass in the courtroom, but y'all can't all be wrong on that.

Yeah, but there is time to cut your losses, put on you big girl panties and get on with your life.

Instead, she's moved on to actually try conning people for MONEY? Not just drinks and dinner, but actual money?

Now I'm guessing she did figure Jimmy conned the other law firm into offering her the moon, and by engaging in the con in the bar she was psyching herself up for being part of the law firm con. No? Edited by shapeshifter

Love the speculation about Jimmy being behind the job offer to Kim...yeah, it looks like the easy out, but something smells wrong, it is just so conveniently timed.

That said, the march of Kim and Howard to the Mesa meeting was so perfect...he refuses to acknowledge her, so she steps up and is determined to arrive shoulder to shoulder with Howard, not a step behind...just nailed that corporate bullshit. And of course, he was completely congenial as soon as he greeted the clients. Howard, you are such a Barzini. 

I could not figure out how Mike would get out of that meeting with Tio...especially since the cousins were there. He knew Nacho, and the other two he had already beat down, but the cousins just look psycho...Margolis and Banks are great playing off one another. And Banks with carbon paper under the welcome mat...love the Gilligan storytelling details.

Had a hard day at work, cheered myself by remembering Saul was on tap for the evening...the pacing of this show allows me to really settle in with the characters.

• Love 4