Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

On 6/1/2017 at 9:07 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

After her impending divorce was revealed a few years back, the interwebs were ablaze with allegations and innuendo of Giada's um, voracious appetite for male attention.  Bobby Flay was considered one of her chief paramours.  Couldn't help but notice that his separation followed soon after.  I wouldn't think there would be enough airspace for those two egos in any given room.

Warning! Super long reply ahead!

There was an episode of Beat Bobby Flay on recently with an actress named Heléne Yorke who's in her early 30's being one of the people to choose who would go against him in the final round. It was heavily implied that she was/is his girlfriend which seems to be confirmed online. She looks like a younger version of his last ex-wife.

@TexasTiffany you mentioned the show Shear Genius in the SC thread earlier in the week. I meant to mention then that Tabitha who went on to host Tabitha Takes Over has a new show coming on Bravo sometime in the Summer. Once I found out about it my confusion about Bravo airing old episodes of Tabitha Takes Over some mornings was alleviated.

I didn't think mentioning how much I was missing my Mom would spark so much discussion about everyone's parents. I'm glad it did though. It's always nice to know your not the only one out there thinking, feeling or going through something. 

My Mom and Nana both of whom raised me weren't top chefs or anything but they knew how to cook. We never really had family recipes for anything and I learned to kinda wing things from them. My Nana always made bunt cakes with her green 60's/70's bunt pan. For the longest time I thought people made bunt cakes at home and bought sheet cakes at stores/bakeries. I helped my Mom care for my Nana while she was ill until she died. I tried my best to do the same for my Mom. Now it's just me and my cat.

My "father" who doesn't even deserve to be called that was/is an asshole I haven't spoken to in 25yrs. Doesn't seem like that much time has passed though. His family can care for him when he needs it. I had been in contact with some of his family for a few years before and after my Mom died up until a few months ago. Not even 24 hours after my Mom had been gone his 4th wife sent me a FB message and then him a few hours later asking me to at least tell the family I was in contact with that I got those messages. Which I never did and they never brought those messages up. I'll be damned if I'm going to honor any kind of request like that by him when he returned letters I wrote to him when I was younger basically asking why he's always been such an ass "Return to Sender" unopened.

I had to quit corresponding with his family that I was in contact with because they started to bombard me with religious stuff last Xmas starting with a women's "modivatonal" bible. I was trying my best to kind of ignore the religious stuff through FB messages until they sent this video called "Jesus Over Depression" where the guy calls mental health meds "Devil's Pills" and specifically names Lexapro at the end. Turns out the guy is some aspiring evangelist who was/is involved in a sex scandal that had him sweet talking and sleeping with young women making them think they were the only ones while engaged. When I sent the family a nice carefully worded FB message asking them to stop with the religious stuff the reply I got was how God is their life they aren't going to change that, they don't understand and would pray for me. They started coming over last year in Feb and only casually mentioned the bible thing a couple times before Summer and I didn't hear anything else about it until one popped up in an Amazon box on my doorstep.  As a friend online mentioned me as a non Christian tried so hard not to offend them in that message I sent and instead of doing the same in their response they tried to shame me with religion.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

I know what you mean. Jay tries too hard. Many of his stones are pretty, but many look like drab rocks you'd find in your garden. I remember his line from way back when it was "Santa Fe Silver" and he sold many beautiful pieces made by Native American artisans. I cherish the pieces I bought then.

I wish he'd go back to Made in USA artisan designs, or maybe concentrate more on designing than finding new rocks. Most of his bead necklaces are very plain, and he always uses a hook closure now instead of lobster claw like he used to do. I don't care for the hooks because they tend to scratch my neck. I never order his rings any more, because most of them have those extra-wide bands you can't wear unless you size up. His earrings are so plain they look often like amateur arts-and-crafts stuff, just a couple of tumbled pebbles on a dangle hook. He does do some unusual designs in pendants, though.

I like watching his shows and always end up adding stuff to my wish list, but usually never buy.  I read the reviews and more often than not, reviewers complain about the stones looking nothing like they do on tv.  And I don't care for huge band rings either.  I also find his prices to be high and his stuff takes forever to be clearance priced.

Looks like my area is finally getting a Chick-Fil-A! Nothing official from them yet but the newspaper article today had location and details when it will open.  Reading the comments on the local news site, looks like I am not the only one who is excited about it coming and not having to drive 90 minutes down the thruway to the closest one in the neighboring state.

1 hour ago, CaffeinatedAunt79 said:

I like watching his shows and always end up adding stuff to my wish list, but usually never buy.  I read the reviews and more often than not, reviewers complain about the stones looking nothing like they do on tv.  And I don't care for huge band rings either.  I also find his prices to be high and his stuff takes forever to be clearance priced.

Looks like my area is finally getting a Chick-Fil-A! Nothing official from them yet but the newspaper article today had location and details when it will open.  Reading the comments on the local news site, looks like I am not the only one who is excited about it coming and not having to drive 90 minutes down the thruway to the closest one in the neighboring state.

I love chick fil a! The ones by me are awesome! Not cheap though but food is great! They are all so polite there and it is always spotless!!!

Mmmmm....

I have had poor luck with durability on Jat King items...necklaces that came unstrubg, earrings that broke, etc.,....so stopped trying to buy anything from him.  I do enjoy the educational aspect of his stones, learning about the properties and origins of various minerals.

As a child, I had a second cousin (adult) who was a rock hound and had a tumbler. We younger kids would bring him interesting looking rocks and he would tumble them up for us until theyy were smooth and shiny.  Sometimes an interesting pattern would show up after the tumbling and we would tie a cord around the stone and make a piece of jewelry.  That was educational and fun, but not, in my opinion, worth the big bucks that Jay charges.

29 minutes ago, seasons said:

I love chick fil a! The ones by me are awesome! Not cheap though but food is great! They are all so polite there and it is always spotless!!!

Mmmmm....

Count me in as a Chick-Fil-A fan, and also a meatloaf fan. I love meatloaf sandwiches. There's a casual restaurant in my town that makes an awesome meatloaf sandwich with mashed potatoes layered on it and a vat of mushroom gravy on the side for dipping. Ok, now I'm hungry.

Also, add me to the daughters with miserable fathers club. Mine is long gone - passed in 1988 - and I shed nary a tear when he died. He wasn't physically abusive at all, but he was emotionally abusive - cold, mean and nasty. He had no friends because he had insulted and/or fought with everyone he knew. He disowned my sister and I at various points in our lives over so-called slights. He went on long jags where he wouldn't speak to any one in the house - this could go on for weeks. When my sister and I left home (her, to get married and me, at that time, to go to college) my mother's life was probably a living hell with that SOB. He was truly one of those people you could describe as toxic. After living with that, it amazes me that I went on to have a happy marriage with my late husband, and now again with Mr. Booney.

9 hours ago, Jaded said:

There was an episode of Beat Bobby Flay on recently with an actress named Heléne Yorke who's in her early 30's being one of the people to choose who would go against him in the final round. It was heavily implied that she was/is his girlfriend which seems to be confirmed online. She looks like a younger version of his last ex-wife.

@TexasTiffany you mentioned the show Shear Genius in the SC thread earlier in the week. I meant to mention then that Tabitha who went on to host Tabitha Takes Over has a new show coming on Bravo sometime in the Summer. Once I found out about it my confusion about Bravo airing old episodes of Tabitha Takes Over some mornings was alleviated.

I didn't think mentioning how much I was missing my Mom would spark so much discussion about everyone's parents. I'm glad it did though. It's always nice to know your not the only one out there thinking, feeling or going through something. 

My Mom and Nana both of whom raised me weren't top chefs or anything but they knew how to cook. We never really had family recipes for anything and I learned to kinda wing things from them. My Nana always made bunt cakes with her green 60's/70's bunt pan. For the longest time I thought people made bunt cakes at home and bought sheet cakes at stores/bakeries. I helped my Mom care for my Nana while she was ill until she died. I tried my best to do the same for my Mom. Now it's just me and my cat.

My "father" who doesn't even deserve to be called that was/is an asshole I haven't spoken to in 25yrs. Doesn't seem like that much time has passed though. His family can care for him when he needs it. I had been in contact with some of his family for a few years before and after my Mom died up until a few months ago. Not even 24 hours after my Mom had been gone his 4th wife sent me a FB message and then him a few hours later asking me to at least tell the family I was in contact with that I got those messages. Which I never did and they never brought those messages up. I'll be damned if I'm going to honor any kind of request like that by him when he returned letters I wrote to him when I was younger basically asking why he's always been such an ass "Return to Sender" unopened.

I had to quit corresponding with his family that I was in contact with because they started to bombard me with religious stuff last Xmas starting with a women's "modivatonal" bible. I was trying my best to kind of ignore the religious stuff through FB messages until they sent this video called "Jesus Over Depression" where the guy calls mental health meds "Devil's Pills" and specifically names Lexapro at the end. Turns out the guy is some aspiring evangelist who was/is involved in a sex scandal that had him sweet talking and sleeping with young women making them think they were the only ones while engaged. When I sent the family a nice carefully worded FB message asking them to stop with the religious stuff the reply I got was how God is their life they aren't going to change that, they don't understand and would pray for me. They started coming over last year in Feb and only casually mentioned the bible thing a couple times before Summer and I didn't hear anything else about it until one popped up in an Amazon box on my doorstep.  As a friend online mentioned me as a non Christian tried so hard not to offend them in that message I sent and instead of doing the same in their response they tried to shame me with religion.

Yikes Jaded!  So sorry that you had such a crappy dad.  Stand your ground and be well.

2 hours ago, CaffeinatedAunt79 said:

Congrats on the Chick-Fil-A!  I'm glad our closest one is about 10 miles away, lol.  Love it~

On 6/1/2017 at 2:00 PM, imisspuddy said:

My Dearest Bronxoni -

You ARE enough! And you are doing everything you can for her.  

My eyes are tearing over and there is so much I want to say.  I am in the same boat with my mother at the moment.

Just know we all care about you and are sending much love and bear hugs. xo

Oh my friend I'm very touched by your words.  My blessings go out to you in dealing with your own challenges.  Love to your Mom.

On 6/1/2017 at 6:51 PM, imarocker said:

I know exactly what you mean!  I also know you are a wonderful daughter!  

I'm so glad your mom was better today  

I don't know about wonderful but I do try.

Thanks so much!

14 hours ago, seahag said:

(((Bronxoni))) Praying for you and mom.  When Mama Hag nearly bit the dust 6 months ago, I was hit with how hard it will be when she goes.  

@seahag, I know you and your family are going through a lot of trials and I'm sending my deepest thoughts and prayers for good outcomes.  Thank you for your support!

(edited)

Mom always used to make the best chicken noodle soup.  We would have it all year round but especially on Thanksgiving.

I didn't realize it at the time, but I do believe the first sign that my mother was going "downhill" was about four years ago.  We were celebrating that holiday with my aunt and uncle (both since deceased) who also lived here in Boca.  I helped with the fixings and didn't taste the chicken soup until Mom ladled it out.  The flavor was like an old man's socks.  She couldn't understand what went wrong.  We laughed it off but it kind of disturbed me although I didn't really know why.

Edited by Bronx Babe
(edited)

I'm living a few miles from a Chick-fil-A for the first time in my life. I've heard people rave about them so much over the years, but what should I order if I go? Is there any consensus, or is it kinda up to individual taste?

Fast food Yelp-ish review, in passing: McDonald's has a new line of Signature sandwiches. I've had the beef versions and didn't much like them. It was the toppings/sauce that put me off, so I doubt I'd like chicken any better. Has anyone else tried them?

Topic swerve to toxic family -- my bossy and controlling sister continues to stress me out. I would never be friends with her if she was just someone I came across in life, and there were decades here and there in the past when we rarely spoke. But she and I are the only ones left in our immediate family and a few years ago I moved to be closer to her. I have mobility/neurological issues and she does drive me around and help with doctor appointments and whatnot, but I'm wondering if the mental toll is worth it. She's just so godamned mean to people and needs serious help with anger management. Gah.

Edited by Lord Donia
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Lord Donia said:

I'm living a few miles from a Chick-fil-A for the first time in my life. I've heard people rave about them so much over the years, but what should I order if I go? Is there any consensus, or is it kinda up to individual taste?

Fast food Yelp-ish review, in passing: McDonald's has a new line of Signature sandwiches. I've had the beef versions and didn't much like them. It was the toppings/sauce that put me off, so I doubt I'd like chicken any better. Has anyone else tried them?

Topic swerve to toxic family -- my bossy and controlling sister continues to stress me out. I would never be friends with her if she was just something I'd come across in life and there were decades here and there in the past when we rarely spoke. But she and I are the only ones left in our immediate family and a few years ago I moved to be closer to her. I have mobility/neurological issues and she does drive me around and help with doctor appointments and whatnot, but I'm wondering if the mental toll is worth it. She's just so godamned mean to people and needs serious help with anger management. Gah.

I've never cared for chicken salad.  Just feels slimy in my mouth.  Chick fi la's, I can eat.  I'm a fussy eater, too.  

Edited by Julie hunter
Chick fil A...

We have a few Chick-fil-A restaurants in town, but I don't go very often. They're always busy and they're more expensive. My boys have graduated to thhigh adult menu and three combo meals can top $20, even when it's just chicken nuggets and regular chicken sandwiches. 

Speaking of chicken, we discovered Zaxbys last year. The hubby and my younger son ate there during a road trip and there's one a few towns over. They have yet to arrive at the Beach. It's about 35 minutes away, so it works as a bribe ("if you get an A in social studies this grading period, we'll go to Zaxbys for lunch when school lets out"). 

3 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Topic swerve to toxic family -- my bossy and controlling sister continues to stress me out. I would never be friends with her if she was just something I'd come across in life and there were decades here and there in the past when we rarely spoke. But she and I are the only ones left in our immediate family and a few years ago I moved to be closer to her. I have mobility/neurological issues and she does drive me around and help with doctor appointments and whatnot, but I'm wondering if the mental toll is worth it. She's just so godamned mean to people and needs serious help with anger management. Gah.

My mother had that problem with her older sister. The sister got mad at Mother back when they were teenagers over a boy both wanted to date. My mother got him, and Sis held a grudge against her for the rest of her life, almost 60 years. Strange, because Sis married twice and her husbands left her very well off; she did just fine without that boy she'd wanted in high school. I don't think she thought he was her soul mate or anything. It was just that she saw him first, so she thought she was entitled to him. Sis did help my mother financially when they were both older ladies living alone, maintained regular contact with her, and took her on nice trips, but always acted bossy and belittled Mother.

Seahag, Booney and Jaded, I'm sorry y'all had to go through such distress with your fathers. I don't mean to sound callous, but sometimes it's for the best when a bad parent (or bad husband) passes away.

5 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

The sister got mad at Mother back when they were teenagers over a boy both wanted to date. My mother got him, and Sis held a grudge against her for the rest of her life, almost 60 years.

Isn't this a scene from Moonstruck? Did Sis put a curse on her airplane?  

3 minutes ago, ennui said:

Isn't this a scene from Moonstruck? Did Sis put a curse on her airplane?  

I don't remember Moonstruck, but Google says it was made in 1987. Mom and Sis had their situation in the 1940s. Maybe so many sisters had that kind of problem that the scriptwriter used it in the movie, thinking that lots of women could identify with it.

23 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

I don't remember Moonstruck, but Google says it was made in 1987. Mom and Sis had their situation in the 1940s. Maybe so many sisters had that kind of problem that the scriptwriter used it in the movie, thinking that lots of women could identify with it.

Old Crone: You have someone on that plane?

Loretta Castorini: Yeah, my fiancé.

Old Crone: [angry] I put a curse on that plane. My sister is on that plane. I put a curse on that plane that it's gonna explode, burn on fire and fall into the sea. Fifty years ago, she stole a man from me. S'aprese il mio uomo! Today she tells me that she never loved him, that she took him to be strong on me. Now she's going back to Sicily. Ritorna in Sicilia! I cursed her that the green Atlantic water should swallow her up!

Loretta Castorini: I don't believe in curses.

Old Crone: [shrugging] Eh, neither do I.

(I love Moonstruck)

My Internet went out this week, which in Maslow's hierarchy of electronic needs is, like, #3 after the A/C in summer and the garage door opener the rest of the time. Well, the ice cube maker is up there, too.

Aaaanyway. I called my ISP and after the obligatory phone menu nonsense and wait time, they said I needed a new modem. I didn't think that was right and protested a bit, but they insisted and said they'd send a new one overnight at no charge. When it arrived, I set it up and still naw. Called them back and they threw in the towel and scheduled a repair for the next day. I was kinda getting the DTs at that point because it was going on 48 hours without Internet.

The service tech showed up and walked directly to the back of the house where the [whatever] box is. I went out the back door (hair combed, housecoat and bra on!) to say hi and introduce myself. He said he wanted to check something else and walked around the side out of my view. I went back inside and heard his truck drive away. Huh. That's different.

He called me about 10 minutes later and said his wife had texted to remind him that he had a doctor's appointment. Okay, dude, but at least holler at me that you need to go. Yeesh. He came back later that afternoon and got everything sorted out. And no, it hadn't been the modem.

I then had to reset my laptop, tablet and TV receiver with the new modem info/password, but now I can't freaking get the printer to connect. I have the voice of Stefania from Everybody Loves Raymond in my head: "It's annoy-ING."

@Jaded

No storybook family here either.

It's just so "funny" how you (and I) are always the ones that are wrong, deluded, etc. etc. etc.--never them.

Just me and my cat, also. And I'm very pleased about that and wouldn't want it any other way.

Long-winded way of saying--I hear you and empathize and we are healthier without them.

25 minutes ago, SeriousPurrs said:

Just me and my cat, also. And I'm very pleased about that and wouldn't want it any other way.

Whenever anyone asks if I live alone, I always say, "Yes, thank goodness."

14 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

My mother had that problem with her older sister. The sister got mad at Mother back when they were teenagers over a boy both wanted to date. My mother got him, and Sis held a grudge against her for the rest of her life, almost 60 years. Strange, because Sis married twice and her husbands left her very well off; she did just fine without that boy she'd wanted in high school. I don't think she thought he was her soul mate or anything. It was just that she saw him first, so she thought she was entitled to him. Sis did help my mother financially when they were both older ladies living alone, maintained regular contact with her, and took her on nice trips, but always acted bossy and belittled Mother.

Seahag, Booney and Jaded, I'm sorry y'all had to go through such distress with your fathers. I don't mean to sound callous, but sometimes it's for the best when a bad parent (or bad husband) passes away.

No argument from me on that point.

4 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Whenever anyone asks if I live alone, I always say, "Yes, thank goodness."

Same here, I'm an introvert, so it just works better this way. I do encourage visitors though, LOL.

(edited)

OMG -- watching a show called Beach Hunters on HGTV.  Young couple from Chicago (look about 25), bought a house in Florida for $750,000 and bought a boat!!!!  Holy.Cow.   Where did they get that money???  

Edited by Thumper
On 6/4/2017 at 6:20 AM, SeriousPurrs said:

@Jaded

No storybook family here either.

It's just so "funny" how you (and I) are always the ones that are wrong, deluded, etc. etc. etc.--never them.

Long-winded way of saying--I hear you and empathize and we are healthier without them.

Thanks @SeriousPurrs. I love your username. It makes me smile everytime I see it because the sound of cat purring is so relaxing and calming to me. I'm long -winded I think because of something that happened when I was young which took some people a long time to believe me about. So now I feel like I have to over-explain everything to people and give details to try and prove that whatever I'm saying is true. Even now being grown up I still have the nagging thoughts and sometimes fears that people don't or won't believe me.

On 6/4/2017 at 5:46 AM, Lord Donia said:

The service tech showed up and walked directly to the back of the house where the [whatever] box is. I went out the back door (hair combed, housecoat and bra on!) to say hi and introduce myself. He said he wanted to check something else and walked around the side out of my view. I went back inside and heard his truck drive away. Huh. That's different.

He called me about 10 minutes later and said his wife had texted to remind him that he had a doctor's appointment. Okay, dude, but at least holler at me that you need to go. Yeesh. He came back later that afternoon and got everything sorted out. And no, it hadn't been the modem.

I've had techs from AT&T come out and try to "mansplain" stuff to me on more then one occasion. It pisses me off so bad. Most of them straightened out when I told them in detail what I thought might be wrong and what I had already done before they got there to try and fix it. I always try and learn or watch to see what they do so I have more things to try before having to resort to calling for help.

There were two techs last year that I didn't get tough with and neither of them did everything they could have to fix the issues I was having. I was still kinda in a daze of grief. I got pretty worked up when I realized that I was going to need them to come out a 3rd time. I kinda blew up at a couple of their social media people on Facebook in private messages there. The 3rd visit went smoothly and included a manager coming out with the tech who had been dispatched. Luckily the tech had been out to my home previously and remembered the visit. It was when my Mom was still here and he even asked how she was doing. He kinda felt bad about that after I told him she had died. It turned out that the only thing that really needed to be done to fix things was a new modem. That tech had to install a modem on that previous visit too after a rain storm so that was the first thing he tried as a fix which worked.

The previous two techs kept changed out my DVR and thought I was stupid for suggesting a modem change. The TV service would worked for a couple days and then a week after the 2nd one but went right back to going DOA. If that first tech had just changed out the modem I wouldn't have lost a DVR with stuff on it that I still wanted to watch. All the issues started after a bad rain storm so I think the modem might have gotten hit by a power surge that missed the other stuff that was plugged in. AT&T tries to stress that their crap has to be plugged in directly to the wall which obviously leaves it vulnerable if a customer lives in an area with a lot of rain storms that include lightning. I think at the time all of this happened the modem was the only thing not plugged into my surge protector. It is now since I got a new one with a couple more slots.

11 hours ago, Thumper said:

OMG -- watching a show called Beach Hunters on HGTV.  Young couple from Chicago (look about 25), bought a house in Florida for $750,000 and bought a boat!!!!  Holy.Cow.   Where did they get that money???  

Don't ya just love those shows?  Or the shows where a shack with a dirt floor and tar paper roof is listed for $550,000.  The shows buys it and puts $120,000 in renovations (no labor of course), and 'flips it'.  Makes me stabby!  (man, I love that word).

I quit House Hunters long ago when every damn person on there was always whining that whatever house didn't have stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops. I always knew it was fake but enjoyed seeing houses in other areas. Even that wasn't enough to keep me watching when the whiners whining about nothing were on every episode. They may as well rename HGTV and call it The Real Estate Channel. I used to love the decorating shows they had on years ago and other ones like Curb Appeal that had people doing stuff to the outside of their homes to make them look better. I'm trying to remember the name of a decorating show I liked that had an older man decorator who did sketches.

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I quit House Hunters long ago when every damn person on there was always whining that whatever house didn't have stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops. I always knew it was fake but enjoyed seeing houses in other areas. Even that wasn't enough to keep me watching when the whiners whining about nothing were on every episode. They may as well rename HGTV and call it The Real Estate Channel. I used to love the decorating shows they had on years ago and other ones like Curb Appeal that had people doing stuff to the outside of their homes to make them look better. I'm trying to remember the name of a decorating show I liked that had an older man decorator who did sketches.

I'm so tired of the "I want character ",  " no I want modern ".  It is getting old.

16 minutes ago, Lady J said:

I'm so tired of the "I want character ",  " no I want modern ".  It is getting old.

Yeah, the people who claim they want an "old house with character" but then bitch about the lack of walk-in closets and spa baths makes me stabby. The absolute best episode of HH ever was the one where the bigwig banker guy had gotten laid off in the '08 recession and the family had to downsize. The wife was a plastic surgery trainwreck who did everything in her power to make hubby feel like a huge fat failure. I wonder if they're still married, lol.

I had to stop watching because all of the couples were pissing me off. They were looking at perfectly good houses that I would be happy to live in as is, and they were nitpicking little things. These aren't cheap houses either; they're probably double what my house is worth. 

(edited)
On 6/2/2017 at 11:27 PM, seahag said:

My mom made a HUGE meatloaf!  There were 9 of us at the table.  They bought a half a cow at a time.

For my 60th, Mr. Hag gave me a necklace with charoite and onyx in a silver setting.  I had a pair of charoite earrings that I got at an art fair many years ago, and now I have something to go with it!

Charoite comes from the Chara River in Russia. I was surprised to find it in so many southwest jewelry items. How did that happen? From Russia to New Mexico. Weird. I got a beautiful pendant years ago that has that chatoyancy property I've read about. It wasn't really expensive at that time, but after it appeared on the shopping channels it got more pricey. Then it kind of disappeared. Glad I got my pendant before the price hike. 

Example from google.

Russian-Charoite-Egg,-03.jpg

Edited by TexasTiffany
3 hours ago, Jaded said:

Me too, @Jaded. I loved Designing for the Sexes, which might be the one you remembered with the older man and his sketches. I also loved Designer's Challenge, Design on a Dime, Decorating Cents, and Designed to Sell. For the gardening shows, I liked Curb Appeal like you, and also Ground Breakers and Surprise Gardener. I never watch HGTV anymore because of all the real estate shows.

(edited)
On 6/3/2017 at 1:44 AM, Coffeecup said:

I know what you mean. Jay tries too hard. Many of his stones are pretty, but many look like drab rocks you'd find in your garden. I remember his line from way back when it was "Santa Fe Silver" and he sold many beautiful pieces made by Native American artisans. I cherish the pieces I bought then.

I wish he'd go back to Made in USA artisan designs, or maybe concentrate more on designing than finding new rocks. Most of his bead necklaces are very plain, and he always uses a hook closure now instead of lobster claw like he used to do. I don't care for the hooks because they tend to scratch my neck. I never order his rings any more, because most of them have those extra-wide bands you can't wear unless you size up. His earrings are so plain they look often like amateur arts-and-crafts stuff, just a couple of tumbled pebbles on a dangle hook. He does do some unusual designs in pendants, though.

On 6/3/2017 at 0:03 PM, Denver Hoosier said:

I have had poor luck with durability on Jat King items...necklaces that came unstrubg, earrings that broke, etc.,....so stopped trying to buy anything from him.  I do enjoy the educational aspect of his stones, learning about the properties and origins of various minerals.

As a child, I had a second cousin (adult) who was a rock hound and had a tumbler. We younger kids would bring him interesting looking rocks and he would tumble them up for us until they were smooth and shiny.  Sometimes an interesting pattern would show up after the tumbling and we would tie a cord around the stone and make a piece of jewelry.  That was educational and fun, but not, in my opinion, worth the big bucks that Jay charges.

I'm trying to catch up on my posting. I worked long hours for several days and was too tired to post. 

I like different types of opaque gemstones but I like them put in a more upscale jewelry design. ITA that a lot of Jay's stuff looks like tumbled rocks on a cord. I'd rather have a more refined look like regular jewelry instead of the wide band ring with a huge clunky stone stuck on it. I'd like to have a rhodochrosite pendant, but I won't buy from him. You can't trust what you see on air is what yours will look like. The look of a particular stone can be personal and I'd like to pick it out. They show you the best, most gorgeous example on tv but as someone said the one shipped to you is dull and uninteresting. 

I hadn't heard about Jay's necklaces and earrings arriving unstrung and/or broken. That's too bad. They should have some sort of quality control or tell Jay to stop putting 15 lbs of stones on an 8 lb chain. Maybe that's why he does more S-hook closures since they can take more of the weight. Then again, I don't want to wear that heavy of a necklace all day. He should take better care of his clients since this is ALL this guy can do. 

Rhodochrosite examples.

rhodochrosite.jpg

Edited by TexasTiffany
(edited)
On 6/3/2017 at 3:04 AM, Jaded said:

I started watching Shear Genius from the beginning with the idea that I could maybe learn how to do different things with my hair. I pick up tips from the Food Network and I thought it would translate to SG. I've got thick fine hair that I can't do much with. I was surprised that these hair stylists don't know what to do with my type of hair either. Years later I've learned that other things are more important. I've got hair. It's thick ish. Grab a hair clip and go about my day.

Every challenge those arrogant stylists would whine about not getting the model with the perfect hair. They would be shown in their talking head segments pissin' moanin' and whinin' about every little thing. What a turn off. They remind me of MarkCharles Mesilly. A pussy whiner selling kitchen gadgets who thinks he should be treated like royalty. I wouldn't want any of those stylists touching my hair. 

I liked the unusual challenges. I remember a period style challenge where one guy did a model's hair with an innovative 1800's french hair-do. It was amazing. One that was talked about briefly was the challenge where one stylist had to use garden shears to cut the model's hair. How would you like that? Someone you don't know coming at your head with these huge clippers! Anyhow, she did so well with that challenge she said later that people at her shop requested she use the garden shears on them. Nuts but whatevah. 

The biggest turn off for me and why I stopped watching was they'd pick the biggest asshole on the show from the first episode and would let that person be almost a 2nd host of the show. A gazillion talking heads of what that asshole thought. Sometimes the challenge wouldn't start until the show host asked the asshole what he'd do, how he'd do it, who he should give what challenge to. Just NO! I quit watching. Apparently, everyone else too as that show is GONE. 

I can imagine Greasy Chaz on that show. His namaste praying hands wouldn't go over well. 

Edited by TexasTiffany
4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I couldn't believe Tabitha got her own show.  I did not care for her at all.

It surprised me, too. Out of everyone they picked her. She's got an unfriendly, disconnected air about her. 

I don't watch much Bravo, but I liked Tabitha's salon makeover show. I found it interesting to see the behind the scenes of a hair salon. 

I've now started watching the new season of Food Network Star. They rarely get someone who lasts more than a year or two before they disappear into oblivion and a lot of their contestants seem like caricatures instead of cooks. 

I still like the Hunters shows becsuse I enjoy seeing the different areas. So at times I tune in.

The difference is I watch with the sound off. No whining spoiled, bitchy bratty airheads that way.

2 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I'm trying to catch up on my posting. I worked long hours for several days and was too tired to post. 

I like different types of opaque gemstones but I like them put in a more upscale jewelry design. ITA that a lot of Jay's stuff looks like tumbled rocks on a cord. I'd rather have a more refined look like regular jewelry instead of the wide band ring with a huge clunky stone stuck on it. I'd like to have a rhodochrosite pendant, but I won't buy from him. You can't trust what you see on air is what yours will look like. The look of a particular stone can be personal and I'd like to pick it out. They show you the best, most gorgeous example on tv but as someone said the one shipped to you is dull and uninteresting. 

I hadn't heard about Jay's necklaces and earrings arriving unstrung and/or broken. That's too bad. They should have some sort of quality control or tell Jay to stop putting 15 lbs of stones on an 8 lb chain. Maybe that's why he does more S-hook closures since they can take more of the weight. Then again, I don't want to wear that heavy of a necklace all day. He should take better care of his clients since this is ALL this guy can do. 

Rhodochrosite examples.

rhodochrosite.jpg

Those are gorgeous rhodochrosite samples. JTV just had some Southwestern style rhodochrosite jewelry a couple of days ago. They showed a couple of the same pendant with different stone markings to tell us that each stone would be different. I appreciate that, but it still doesn't mean that the one you get will be a pretty one.

I had a rhodochrosite pendant made from a stone I selected on eBay. Also bought one from HSN which turned out to be a nice stone.

You have the same problem with malachite. The stone you receive may have pretty banding, and it may not. I love malachite.

misc pics malachite, two images.jpg

6 hours ago, Jaded said:

I don't remember that show, but I loooved watching HGTV for the decorating & DYI shows.  Now it's House Hunters every damn time I turn it on.  *cough*stabby*cough*

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

I couldn't believe Tabitha got her own show.  I did not care for her at all.

I like her no nonsense approach to running a business and customer service.  She would probably be a royal pain in the ass to work for or with, but the things she says make sense to me.

(edited)
5 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

It surprised me, too. Out of everyone they picked her. She's got an unfriendly, disconnected air about her. 

At least the show they gave Tabatha allowed her natural scold to come out! She was simply not having it with any of those crappy salons.

I'd watch another hairstyling show for sure; it was a lot of fun seeing how thoroughly someone could jack up a 'do. There was another one called something like Hair Battle, if I'm remembering correctly? But then, I'm a fool for artistic competitive reality shows like Skin Wars, Face Off, graffiti painting, tattoos, etc. I tried with that manicure/fancy nails show but it was too much even for me.

Edited by Lord Donia

Ugh......I used to love reading the posts.....but now I just can't get over how mean and nasty it all has become.  Certain posters are certain they know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...I come here for a laugh, and I feel now it really has become the jealous mean girls club especially in the shopping forum.  I, as a woman, just cringe reading ....the snark has turned sinister.   I wish instead of all the hatred, um, maybe just maybe we could offer some support or just remain silent and maybe show a little flipping grace....I have to say it shows one's character. 

rant over...I am out

4 hours ago, opinions said:

Ugh......I used to love reading the posts.....but now I just can't get over how mean and nasty it all has become.  Certain posters are certain they know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...I come here for a laugh, and I feel now it really has become the jealous mean girls club especially in the shopping forum.  I, as a woman, just cringe reading ....the snark has turned sinister.   I wish instead of all the hatred, um, maybe just maybe we could offer some support or just remain silent and maybe show a little flipping grace....I have to say it shows one's character. 

rant over...I am out

Hang it there -- it swings back and forth!

23 hours ago, Jaded said:

Thanks @SeriousPurrs. I love your username. It makes me smile everytime I see it because the sound of cat purring is so relaxing and calming to me.

I'm long -winded I think because of something that happened when I was young which took some people a long time to believe me about. So now I feel like I have to over-explain everything to people and give details to try and prove that whatever I'm saying is true. Even now being grown up I still have the nagging thoughts and sometimes fears that people don't or won't believe me.

My choice for Serious Purrs? When cats purr--nothing fake or phony about it--they mean it.... seriously. =^.^=

Better to be long-winded in posts than too terse (as I can be if I'm not careful and can sound offensive).

I also have got that "oh,really" skeptical look at times but I, of course, get pissed off and am very liable to say, "I don't care if you believe me or not--it's the truth" and/or walk away. (muttering to myself, why oh why do I have to deal with such fools?)

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:04 AM, Booney said:

I'll have to look for those smaller avocados at Trader Joe's. I love putting slices of avocado in sandwiches.

I made the potato salad for our cookout this afternoon. Looks like it may be a cook-in since it's rainy this morning here in the Philly area. Supposedly the rain will be mostly out of here this morning - I'm hoping! Anyway if any one likes to make potato salad, I do mine with a little extra ingredient that's really tasty. After you boil the potatoes and let them cool, cut them up, add some salt, pepper and diced onion, and then add some Italian dressing (I use Kraft Zesty Italian). For 4-5 lbs. of potatoes, I use 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the dressing. Then let it sit for a few hours in the fridge (I usually let it sit overnight). The Italian dressing absorbs into the potatoes and adds great flavor while keeping the potato salad moist. Then I add diced celery, chopped hard boiled eggs and mayo. Really yummy!

This sounds wonderful!  I am going to have to try it on my potato salad!

I already do a similar version of this, which we eat all summer.  I make a version of potato salad that uses a vinaigrette base instead of the traditional mayo.  I just steam some potatoes, then when they come out, I immediately pour Girard's Champagne Vinaigrette over them, then add whatever vegetables I have on hand.  This past weekend, it was leftover thin green beans, some yellow bell pepper, green onions, carrots, zucchini and snow pea pods.  I put the snow peas, green beans and zuchini in the microwave for a few seconds, then add them.  It's a great way to use up vegetables.  I've thrown radishes in there - anything I had a few extra of.  And always the few cherry tomatoes that are around.

@opinions, It is a back and forth thing. I just skim over or block...ignore button...certain posters who bug me. And then there are just some who have to be *right* in their own minds so why bother with them? Dad said those folks were like arguing with a stump... 

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:03 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I didn't settle on mine for probably 10 or 15 years after getting married, with lots of trial and error.  Meatloaf is not a meal I would have made as a single, though I like it.  Hubs and I have decided that we prefer brown gravy over a ketchup recipe. I've never mixed the two, though I bet you could.  One of my little signature add-ins is a small can of creamed corn, both for moisture and veggie content.  We're not fans of peppers here.

Creamed corn in meatloaf sounds good!  I've never been one to put ketchup in my meatloaf or on top of it, though I've had it and like it.

We're the same way in this house.  All of my relatives are in Kentucky - lots and lots of relatives (my great grandma had 17 kids, my grandmother was the oldest) so they cook very southern.  Their way of making meatloaf was the same way I made it for years and years, and probably about 10 years ago, I changed up in favor of brown gravy.  The kind in a jar with mushrooms, I think by Heinz?  I used to make a version of meatloaf like my grandma's - usual meatloaf ingredients - then put peeled potatoes around it and cover the meatloaf and the potatoes with Campbell's tomato juice and bake it for about an hour and a half.  It's good, but it's not like the tomato juice ever gets really thick or anything.  15 minutes.  I think my grandma made this version because she had huge garden and canned her own tomatoes as well as made her own tomato juice that she put up every fall.

Now, I make my usual meatloaf, and my secret ingredient is taco sauce.  I also sauté the onions and red bell pepper before I put them in the meatloaf mix.  I don't have a recipe/ratio for the breadcrumbs added to one pound of meat.  But my meatloaf always comes out fairly moist, because of the taco sauce. and the small amount of olive oil used to sauté the onions/pepper.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:07 AM, seasons said:

I've used this meatloaf recipe for almost 20 years! People really seem to like it. I used ground beef pork veal though. I also usually use a little less salsa. I just want the moisture from it but not too much of the flavor. The chopped spinach makes it look pretty. Even my picky son and ex hub like it!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/turkey-spinach-meat-loaf

Oh!!!!  I am making this!  Thanks for sharing!

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 6:36 PM, walnutqueen said:

I get stabby at the mere mention of "Pioneer Woman".  I clicked on her show for ONE hot minute and wanted to kill, kill, kill her.  In fact, if you are a PW devotee, we may just need to part ways now, before it gets all ugly.  :-D

Me, too!

1 hour ago, SeriousPurrs said:

Better to be long-winded in posts than too terse (as I can be if I'm not careful and can sound offensive).

Guilty as charged.  My posts are all too often short (and not particularly sweet), but it's because my arms are semi-disabled and typing too much causes strain & pain.  Consider yourselves lucky that you're not subjected to my windbagginess.   ;-)