Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Brynn's Big Moment

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Abby enlists Todrick Hall to direct the girls in a commercial inspired by "The Wiz" in hopes of gaining more business. Later, Brynn has a chance to join the ALDC if she can lead a team of her choosing to victory against a group led by Maddie.

Jill is just a total bitch, isn't she? She thinks Ashley is mean to Kendall, but has no problem telling Brynn her mom is a horrible person? Or complaining about Brynn going to the PCAs or getting to dance?

When Abby said Brynn was going to be a "captain," Melissa got this annoyed look on her face, and was all, "that's strange." Then Abby said Maddie was going to be captain, she started glowing.  Melissa also got such bitchface when they announced Maddie's team got second place. I guess realizing that meant Mackenzie probably got first didn't do anything for her.

I kind of agreed with Kira that if Melissa had a problem watching Kalani for so long she should have said something. If we believe the moms that Melissa had a problem.

I'm amazed that Abby hasn't used the idea of picking teams and the last one picked doesn't get to dance before.

• Love 3

That was so weird, there was never any mention of an issue with Melissa and Kalani. And Jess insinuating that Kara was just sitting at home with her feet up was bizarre. That was so out of left field.

Jill needs a time out. She is so seriously mean to that little girl, it makes no sense, Brynn seems like a nice enough kid.

• Love 4

Jill and Melissa are salty, petty ass bitches. Poor Brynn ....Jill you've been bullying this little girl since she got here. They want to take everything away from her and tear down every oppurtunity she gets. Shameful and disgusting.

I don't think anybody was surprised when Nia wasn't picked for trios. Smh.... I don't know why Nia and Holly are still here. Even Nia said herself tonight that Abby doesn't support her. Why are you still here then????

The group dance was a sloppy hot mess. First place my ass.

LOL, Jill and Melissa tried to pull the scores are rigged nonsense. Sorry, they won fair and square. Get over it!

Hey Jessalyn, remember when you and JoJo were Ashlee and Brynn? Like what a hypocritical jerkass Jess turned into.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Abby. The moms are making a big deal out of Brynn...

• Love 5
I don't think anybody was surprised when Nia wasn't picked for trios. Smh.... I don't know why Nia and Holly are still here. Even Nia said herself tonight that Abby doesn't support her. Why are you still here then????

Money? lol. I'm sorry, but Holly gave up her career and Nia isn't quite up to the task of paying the bills just based on talent. I think they are here for the money.

Jill has become a psychopath. It used to just be pro Kendall, not it's also anti other kids. She is wretched. Brynn's mom having objective opinions about performances is NOT bullying, it's the business, and Jill has done her fair share of it. Go away, Jill.

WHY can't Brynn be a team captain when she and Maddie both won last week. Why NOT make them both captains. These women thinking their kids deserve anything based on seniority rather than actual talent and wins is INSANE.

Holly hurting for Nia not getting picked for a team is understandable, but then saying she wants to "protect" her child? Protect Nia from what, being not as good as the others? Ugh, welcome to dance (although I would have taken Nia over Mackenzie- girl is never on count). These kids need managers AND mothers. Never the two should meet. Holly saying Brynn shouldn't be a captain because she hasn't been there as long is such crap! Brynn is BETTER. It's competition.Hurt for your kid, but don't make it some moral issue over excellence.

And the whole Melissa watching Kira's kid- she seemed proud to do it, and it's NO one's fault but Melissa's if she didn't tell Kira how she felt. But now Kira has to feel like crap because the mom hags turned on her. UGH. I love how the moms will defend Melissa to the death one moment, and throw her under the bus the next. Is this not the worst bunch of women ever? Jessalynn pushed Kira until she cried, and then groaned that the tears were inconvenient right now. 

That scene in traffic was so awkward, I don't even know what happened.

I LOVE the girls and their little pre show pep talks backstage.

Kendell in her bright green had a chance to steal the show with her character, if she could only stop being a beauty queen. She looked like a goody-two-shoes instead of a marvelous villain.

I think Brynn is a sweetheart AND a great dancer. Put her on the team, already. Moms, put away the torches and pitchforks. Or fork yourselves while you're at it. Brynn needs to work on emotion, but she is technically better than most of the little veterans.

Holly is breeding self entitlement in Nia. 12 years automatically deserves a spot? Who cares! It's about quality. Don't get mad at them, assess why they didn't pick you and work on it.

Maddie's team was terribly out of sync. And Jill blaming Maddie was hilarious. Jo Jo and Kendall are forever called out for their timing. Anyway, This is not Maddie's win. NO CHANCE it deserves to win first. Shut up, Jill. I used to think you were funny. Now you're pure evil.

Mackenzie talking about how Brynn is awesome but her mom is crazy? Pot, meet kettle. And the fact that Jill would squish a kid (Brynn) just because she hates her mother is a monster at work. Did Jill get a pay raise for becoming this level of evil? 

I remember when it used to just be fun and a little crazy. Now it feels abusive and I want prozac in their water immediately. These poor kids.

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 7

Yes, Jill is a total bitch. She's making the show uncomfortable to watch. I realize it's all about the drama, but an adult campaigning against a little girl takes crazy stage Mom to a new level of scary. Ashlee is annoying, always talking Brynn up and stating her opinions but I don't recall her being down right mean to the children. Since Jill is hell-bent on Kendall riding Maddie's shirttail, I hope when Maddie leaves she takes her best friends' mother with her. 

Jessa loves to stir the pot, the last few weeks with Ashlee and this week with Kira. I really don't know what her motivation is, unless it's to get more air time for herself, but it would be wise for her to not make waves. JoJo is an adorable, likable kid, but she has never produced great results for the team. Jessa should try to fly under the radar the way her daughter does. I would suggest they seek stardom through another venue, such as acting, but I fear she might be getting to old for the cutesy baby talk to actually be cast in a speaking role in a movie or series.

Holly and Nia - I felt bad for Nia, and, yes, the entertainment industry is very much like the real world were jobs and roles can be acquired a number of different ways... talent, looks, luck, favors and connections, etc., but you can't expect, and are not guaranteed anything, especially when it comes to a competition.

I also felt bad for Kira, and I don't even like her. If Melissa was stressed with having guardianship of Kalani, she needed to tell Kira, not the other mothers.

I wish at least the girls had hugged and congratulated Brynn when she made the team and Abby gave her the jacket. If the did, I missed it.

• Love 1

I think Jill is realizing Kendall will never be a star, so she is desperately trying to hang on to Maddie's coattails.  Brynn can dance circles around Kendall and Jill knows it.  She knows Maddie and Mackenzie are finished and terrified that Brynn will be the new star.

• Love 4

I felt very sorry for Nia when she wasn't picked for the trios - that's rough. Though I agree that Holly is making Nia entitled. I got that impression from both of them a lot last season too, in fact more so (couldn't stand Holly last season). They always harp on about being there the longest, as though that should mean Nia gets praise/opportunities/solos above far more talented girls. If I remember correctly, last season momager-Holly was even insinuating Nia would do just as well as Maddie at opportunities like the Sia video. Deluded talk. 

Once Brynn had chosen Kalani and Maddie had chosen Kendall though, it made me realise the rest of the choices weren't so fantastic.  Mackenzie is not great, in my opinion. JoJo has timing issues. Nia always feels like a heavy, sloppy dancer. I don't think I'd have chosen Mackenzie if I was Brynn, but then the alternatives weren't fantastic either. 

I wish the girls had hugged Brynn too when she made the team. That poor kid. You'd have to be seriously tough to go anywhere near that team, and stay there. Those mothers are monsters. 

• Love 1

I've never felt more happy and sad for someone as I did for Nia.  I know it must hurt not to get picked, but it only would have ended in Nia getting blamed or being on the bottom of the pyramid.  It gets harder and harder for me to understand why Holly keeps her there at this point because it has to erode Nia's self esteem to always be second rate and know it.  At least get her working on her acting, or a new song or something so that she has an escape from this world where she is so obviously seen as the worst one.

Jill is the worst, and I hope this is all an act.  And why in the sweet hell won't she dress appropriately.  I get that there is no age limit for a look, but those high top sneakers?  Just no Jill...just....no.

I have no idea why the conversation had to swing to Kira/Kilani.  I don't see how much trouble a sweet tempered 14 year old girl could cause.  I would be annoyed if Kira never sent any money for Kilani's upkeep, and I suspect that she hasn't.  But I also don't like Kira playing victim and hiding behind Kilani...no one blamed Kilani for anything.....but Kira used her as some sort of shield regardless.

Melissa was just being Melissa and mad bc Maddie didn't win this week, so she needed someone to blame for her problems. Enter Kira and Kalani. Easy targets.

But Melissa wasn't even part of the coven that attacked Kira.  I think that's what was confusing to me, Melissa left with Abby and suddenly the other mothers are telling Kira that she stuck Kilani with Melissa.  It was bizarre....maybe Brynn and Ashley left the room so they needed a new target.  I hate that these mothers make me side with Kira and Ashley -- both of whom I dislike!

I think this season has felt way more....personal to me, and not in a good way.  People willing to pick on kids, throw kids under the bus and just say things that are going to be downright hurtful to the kids once they see it later.  How is Kilani going to feel when the show airs and she hears everyone basically call her a burden?  I preferred this show when the dance moms had drama amongst each other but left the kids completely out of it.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1

Watching the 2 trios, I agree Brynn's team was better.  With Maddie's failed turn and JoJo's inability to keep in sync with the other 2, it was a hot mess.  JoJo looked so clunky and out of control in her transitions.  My guess is they were gifted 2nd place because the only other small group "competing" was a box of kittens. The stages & auditoriums for these dance shows are empty!   The fix is in for sure, re. the group taking 1st place. because even a box of kittens would've beat THAT disaster.  The choreography was bad enough thanks to Abby, but I think Abby must have written the lyrics for her "web-er-tisement" or whatever.  Very low rent and cheesy for someone trying to portray herself as the elite star-maker.

And how old will Mackenzie have to be before she can stop playing the role of animals, dolls, toddlers?  I don't care how famous her sister gets, Mackenzie is not going to be taken seriously at any legit competition wearing a dog costume with pigtails when she's 15.

Can someone with inside info answer this for me?  Mackenzie was in PA last week competing & won a "scholarship" for best overall.  Per Melissa, she beat out 200 kids for this prize.  Exactly what is a dance scholarship good towards?  Does it allow the kid to take extra classes or attend dance camp?  If it let's the kids go to another reputable studio/performing arts school to really learn technique, that's nice.  But if goes to giving Mackenzie "free" sessions at ALDC, well then, pfft.  I'm sure Melissa does not pay full price (or anything) for her girls to dance for Abby. Hasn't Melissa's sugar daddy turned hubby been Abby's financial backer in PA for years? 

Kendall's resting bitch face has turned into perma bitch face.  She always looks like she's smelling bad cheese these days. Jill should start saving up for therapy when this show ends.  Neither she nor Kendall will deal well with the end of their "fame".  I'm picturing a Norma Desmond & Baby Jane Hudson situation.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I think Maddie has learned to keep herself the star, with that choice of moving ventriloquist doll Kendall and future trailer park belle Jojo.

I can't believe that group routine won. These competitions are always suspect to me.

Jill is a mess. Time to medicate.

• Love 2

I wish at least the girls had hugged and congratulated Brynn when she made the team and Abby gave her the jacket. If the did, I missed it.

Another option is the editors chose to cut it out of the episode. 

I think all or almost all the "competitions" on the show are staged these days.  They manage to get another school or two to sign up and bring some kids just for appearance. 

If I were Ashlee, I would tell Jill "you are insane" every time Jill opened her mouth. I wouldn't argue or scream or try to prove Jill wrong; I would simply repeat the phrase "you are insane" over and over. There is no point arguing with insanity at that level.

Why do we have to keep pretending all the girls are equally talented dancers when they are so clearly not? That premise has led to all of the arguments, tears, and drama. Plus, they are all delusional hypocrites, including Abby. Ugh. I watch for the girls and the dancing, but the mama drama has spiraled is torturous to watch.

Well that was a hot mess.  Guys... Jill has to be acting... right?  She is so skeevy.  The way she was talking about how if Kira didn't want Ashlee to stick around she should basically tell Kalani to sabotage the trio so they don't win... oh my god that woman is desperate.

I think Jill is realizing Kendall will never be a star, so she is desperately trying to hang on to Maddie's coattails.  Brynn can dance circles around Kendall and Jill knows it.  She knows Maddie and Mackenzie are finished and terrified that Brynn will be the new star.

I agree.  

The sad part is, Kendall is going to be left in the dust.    Maddie and Mckenzie will ride whatever "fame" wave they have left over... plus Mack seems to be really happy just dancing and hanging out with her Pittsburgh friends.  Brynn and Kalani can go back to dance training with an excellent studio and doing very well on the (legitimate) competitive dance circuit.  The rest of them... I just don't know.  

And poor Nia.  Not everyone needs to be an exceptional dancer - and I am sure there are, and will be, many things that Nia will do better then any of the other girls.  But there needs to be an acceptance on her part, and Holly's part, that she is not as good a dancer as the others. I feel like Jessalyn (and Jojo) kind of gets this - Jessalyn always talks about what a great "performer" Jojo is, but doesn't argue that she is the best dancer.   Maddie and Brynn clearly picked their team mates based on who was the best dancer, not who has been there the longest.  I would have picked exactly like Brynn did.  I'd take Kenzie in a group dance over Nia and Jojo too.  

Honestly, I kind of miss watching Kalani dance outside of the ALDC (and Brynn to a certain extent too).  At this point, if Kalani was still with Club Dance she would have already started her season competing in legitimate competitions - we'd already have a beautiful, mature, polished new solo from her... plus she'd be in a bunch of awesome group dances.  Same with Brynn.  But at least Brynn gets solos... Kalani barely even gets solos anymore. 

Edited by sofiah
  • Love 1

I tuned in right at the end, and then watched the whole episode. So after hearing Jess say they'd switched the numbers, I listened during the performances for the numbers, and they did NOT switch the numbers at all. Brynn's group was 25, and the winner was 25. No mix up at all. Pure drama. I still can't stop watching though, and I have noticed recently that the group choreography has gotten much more mature, which is nice to watch.

• Love 1

It gets harder and harder for me to understand why Holly keeps her there at this point because it has to erode Nia's self esteem to always be second rate and know it.  At least get her working on her acting, or a new song or something so that she has an escape from this world where she is so obviously seen as the worst one.

You don't think she will be second rate at acting auditions?  Can her singing really compete against all of the talented teen singers out there?    Her showing up at auditions with other teen hopefuls will really kill Nia's self esteem based on how delusional she and Holly are.

Both numbers were boring but as soon as Maddie messed up the turn you know they lost because it seems like turns are everything at competitions. 

Edited by Lemons

And poor Nia.  Not everyone needs to be an exceptional dancer - and I am sure there are, and will be, many things that Nia will do better then any of the other girls.  But there needs to be an acceptance on her part, and Holly's part, that she is not as good a dancer as the others.

It didn't seem to me that Nia and Holly were claiming that she was a better dancer, but that it was upsetting to be left out and that Nia is routinely left out, in more than just dance-related activities. Nia and Holly both seem to realize that Nia's not the best dancer on the floor, but she's certainly not worse than JoJo. And Maddie picked JoJo because of her turns then she was late and even missed a whole turn at the end. Nia seems to manage her turns at least as well so I'm not buying that line of reasoning. Height would have made more sense since Nia's tall compared to Maddie and Kendall, but it just gives off an air of "I don't want to play with you" that I find particularly childish.

Nia will be fine. She was fine during the episode and she'll be fine after this is all over. She's got a good head on her shoulders, she's bright, a good singer and performer and no doubt will find her place in the world after DM, wherever that is. Hopefully she's accumulated a decent college fund in the meantime.

• Love 6

You don't think she will be second rate at acting auditions?  Can her singing really compete against all of the talented teen singers out there?    Her showing up at auditions with other teen hopefuls will really kill Nia's self esteem based on how delusional she and Holly are.

Both numbers were boring but as soon as Maddie messed up the turn you know they lost because it seems like turns are everything at competitions. 

No, I think Nia is a good actress and can handle rejection, as any good or bad actress has to handle.  Same with her music, I think she is a good singer and has potential there.  

• Love 2

That's exactly it. Nia is probably the strongest singer and strongest actress on that team, but in the world of child actors and child singers, she'd fall at the bottom of the pile. There's a lot of talent out there, and Holly I feel has become deluded and blinded to it all. Sure, Nia's got a head-start because of her celebrity and millions of instragram followers - that doesn't hurt - but I don't see her appearing on Disney, being cast in a movie or getting a record deal because of that. As with Kendall... it probably would have happened by now. 

Nia seems to manage her turns at least as well so I'm not buying that line of reasoning. Height would have made more sense since Nia's tall compared to Maddie and Kendall, but it just gives off an air of "I don't want to play with you" that I find particularly childish.

I don't think Nia is a turner. JoJo's a very good turner. So I think Maddie's reasoning was legit there, because those turn sequences they did wouldn't have been possible with Nia in the trio. It's a shame Maddie fell out of hers, but I think I still preferred Maddie's trio marginally to Brynn's... it was more interesting to watch.

That's exactly it. Nia is probably the strongest singer and strongest actress on that team, but in the world of child actors and child singers, she'd fall at the bottom of the pile. There's a lot of talent out there, and Holly I feel has become deluded and blinded to it all. Sure, Nia's got a head-start because of her celebrity and millions of instragram followers - that doesn't hurt - but I don't see her appearing on Disney, being cast in a movie or getting a record deal because of that. As with Kendall... it probably would have happened by now. 

I've watched a few Disney shows and I certainly don't think the kids on any of those shows are very strong actors, and no stronger than Nia.  I can't understand acting like the kids of the Disney channel are clearing some high bar in terms of acting ability.  I think if Nia focused on that with a few more classes she would fit right in.  I don't see any Helen Mirren level performances by the kids on the Disney channel. I don't think its accurate to say that Nia would automatically fall to the bottom of the pile amongst other child actors/singers.   

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 2

Last night when she was just running the lyrics with Toddrick seemed to be without auto-tune and she was very good. They auto-tuned the bejeezus out of the commercial though.

I think she excels in the performance aspect of dance. She can embody a character and convey emotion in a way that seems to come pretty naturally to her. Kind of the opposite of Brynn who has technique in spades but lacks emotion on the stage.

• Love 3

Nia's line, "I'm the best price in town and I'm not lying", was a little uncomfortable. She was speaking as herself, not ALDC.

It is impossible for Melissa to be happy for Mackenzie, isn't it? Melissa's ego is so out of control. How I would love for Christi to still be there. She'd be telling us the real deal on Melissa's attitude.

Wow, how does Abby still have people willing to work with her? Sitting back on her ass yelling at the makeup person to hand her something that was in her reach - she either doesn't know how she looks, or she doesn't care. It's clear the show is deliberately exposing her ugly moments.

It really irked me that Kendall tattled on Ashlee when Jill entered the room. Instead of that, she should have been telling Brynn that she was excited that she was on the team. Humility is key in life. She doesn't seem to have it. With that said, I would hate to have people judge me on the person I was at 13, so I'll leave her alone...

Felt really bad for Nia. I've been that girl. It isn't fun. Her mother parents differently than the others too which probably means she gets left out of social activities. Notice she rarely wears the same amount of makeup as the other girls, for example. The same thing happened to me when I was in cheerleading. I just didn't fit in and a lot of that had to do with not going along with the group's expectations.

If Ashlee just stopped talking, she'd be fine. 

• Love 3

Jill is an insane, deluded, bullying beyotch.  If it's real she needs to quickly get some help.  If it's an act to get screen time than she obviously doesn't realize how much it's going to backfire on her.  Who is going to want to work with Kendall after seeing this shite?  If it's producer manipulation she should sue.

• Love 4

Holly is breeding self entitlement in Nia. 12 years automatically deserves a spot? Who cares! It's about quality. Don't get mad at them, assess why they didn't pick you and work on it.

Holly knows Nia isn't the best dancer, so the only chance she has to get things is if they are done by seniority. That's why she always is harping on how it's not fair for new girls to come in and get solos.

I did felt bad for Nia not getting picked, because it always sucks to be in that position. 

• Love 2

Another option is the editors chose to cut it out of the episode. 

I think all or almost all the "competitions" on the show are staged these days.  They manage to get another school or two to sign up and bring some kids just for appearance. 

Yes, that's always a possibility and I try to keep editing in mind while watching, along with producer manufactured fake drama.

Speaking of fake drama, I have read the powers-that-be set the scene and tell them what to fight and argue about but I believe some of what comes out of their mouths are their own words and thoughts. And with that said... Jill has taken it entirely too far this season and is showing her true colors.

Also, Collins Avenue is the organizer of Xpression Dance Competition.

• Love 1

There is some awful acting on Disney channel that's for sure! Some of those shows have some pretty cute and funny writing, but then they just become unwatchable because the acting is so bad - nothing I hate worse than bad acting, and Disney channel seems to have the worst. I'm sure Nia, or any one of those girls, or any kid off the street for that sake, could hang acting-wise on Disney channel ;).

I liked the Maddie trio better and thought it was going to win just because what those girls did was a lot more difficult (in spite of the messed up turn).

The group dance was horrible and many of those costumes were very unflattering on the girls.

I agree w/ the poster above who said that Jill needs some meds - either that or she needs to get off the meds she's currently on.

• Love 1

When have we seen Nia act? Has she sung on the show without auto-tune? Not trying to troll, but I can't remember either of those things happening.

I think Nia has more charisma than some of the cast, but she stands out to me because of her poise and maturity rather than her performance skills.

They did the acting workshop with someone's sister (Demi Lovato?) and Nia by far did better than the other girls in that arena.  I also think she has sung without auto tune quite a few times, all the girls have, I remember because some of the girls were just absolutely terrible at it.  I might have been for the Matty B video, or something else.  I'll try to look it up, but I feel like we have seen the girls act and sing a few times and Nia was always a standout in those areas.  Which is why it makes more sense for her to focus on her acting before her singing.  So many Disney stars have done acting first and gone on to have a music career.  Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, even Lindsay Lohan (albeit a very short music career).  Once you get in the Disney mafia you're set for life!

But again, I don't think the Disney channel requires Academy Award worthy performers or performances.

Also, Collins Avenue is the organizer of Xpression Dance Competition.

Hilarious.

There is some awful acting on Disney channel that's for sure! Some of those shows have some pretty cute and funny writing, but then they just become unwatchable because the acting is so bad - nothing I hate worse than bad acting, and Disney channel seems to have the worst. I'm sure Nia, or any one of those girls, or any kid off the street for that sake, could hang acting-wise on Disney channel ;).

The dance was bad, but the worst part for me is that it was literally a commercial....literally a commercial.  A 2 minute, live action commercial for Abby's dance studio.  I understand that these dance competitions are rigged and they are run by the production company, but can we at least pretend like the competition is real and not put in a 2 minute commercial as a dance number?  Its just bizarre to me, who does that?

Wonder if Todrick is on tap to take over if Abby goes to the clink?  I will say that he does his makeup much better than Abby at this point, so it would be better for my friends who must suffer this show in HD.  :)

Oh...and "on fleek?"  is that still a thing?  It feels very outdated at this point.

Your comment just compelled me to post this skit about Disney acting....I think you'll enjoy it (apologies if I posted this before, but I don't think I have)

(the hulu link below is better quality)

http://www.hulu.com/watch/221674

Edited by RCharter
Jill should start saving up for therapy when this show ends.  Neither she nor Kendall will deal well with the end of their "fame".  I'm picturing a Norma Desmond & Baby Jane Hudson situation.

"Norma Desmond & Baby Jane Hudson"  Just priceless!

It sucks but even Black Patsy made the observation that Nia is left out. Holly is the one with the PhD in Education. Why is she still subjecting her daughter to this humiliation?

Most likely for a) the money b) a contract with Collins Entertainment that is an equivalent to legal serfdom.  These reality show contracts are usually very rigid and very binding.  They are difficult to break. Clay Aiken is one of the few who did it and he had to hire a very high powered (and no doubt very expensive) Atlanta entertainment law firm to battle it out with American Idol's production company. 

Why is she still subjecting her daughter to this humiliation?

Either money or fame. I'm guessing for Holly it is money. Maybe they are planning to use it to send it to a great college and think that will make things worth it.

• Love 1

It didn't seem to me that Nia and Holly were claiming that she was a better dancer, but that it was upsetting to be left out and that Nia is routinely left out, in more than just dance-related activities. Nia and Holly both seem to realize that Nia's not the best dancer on the floor, but she's certainly not worse than JoJo. 

Yeah, I suppose you're right...  Holly does know Nia is not the best dancer there which is why, as someone else mentioned, she tends to think that seniority should determine who gets chosen, who gets a solo, etc.   She is, however, obviously barking up the wrong tree - this is never how things have worked at the ALDC!  But I agree with you that Nia will be absolutely fine!  She seems like a great kid, with a great head on her shoulders and a very good attitude.  

Abby should have assigned one solo to a child - and then said that the remaining six would be put into two trios.  Someone would still get picked last, but it wouldn't sting nearly as much, and at least they'd all participate in something.  

Their group dance was embarrassing.

• Love 2
Why is she still subjecting her daughter to this humiliation?

Either money or fame. I'm guessing for Holly it is money. Maybe they are planning to use it to send it to a great college and think that will make things worth it.

Break your daughter to pay for college? Monster mom, just like the rest of them.

• Love 2

They did the acting workshop with someone's sister (Demi Lovato?) and Nia by far did better than the other girls in that arena. I also think she has sung without auto tune quite a few times, all the girls have, I remember because some of the girls were just absolutely terrible at it. I might have been for the Matty B video, or something else. I'll try to look it up, but I feel like we have seen the girls act and sing a few times and Nia was always a standout in those areas. Which is why it makes more sense for her to focus on her acting before her singing. So many Disney stars have done acting first and gone on to have a music career. Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, even Lindsay Lohan (albeit a very short music career). Once you get in the Disney mafia you're set for life!

But again, I don't think the Disney channel requires Academy Award worthy performers or performances.

Hilarious.

The dance was bad, but the worst part for me is that it was literally a commercial....literally a commercial. A 2 minute, live action commercial for Abby's dance studio. I understand that these dance competitions are rigged and they are run by the production company, but can we at least pretend like the competition is real and not put in a 2 minute commercial as a dance number? Its just bizarre to me, who does that?

Wonder if Todrick is on tap to take over if Abby goes to the clink? I will say that he does his makeup much better than Abby at this point, so it would be better for my friends who must suffer this show in HD. :)

Oh...and "on fleek?" is that still a thing? It feels very outdated at this point.

Your comment just compelled me to post this skit about Disney acting....I think you'll enjoy it (apologies if I posted this before, but I don't think I have)

https://youtu.be/gcAt338lxZk (the hulu link below is better quality)

http://www.hulu.com/watch/221674

Omg - that clip is soooo funny. The pause thing and the scooter - lol!

• Love 1

Omg - that clip is soooo funny. The pause thing and the scooter - lol!

LOL!  I'm glad you watched it.  Its just so hilariously true....you have to be the loudest in the room and disrespect authority figures :)

Clemgo, *can* Nia handle turns as well as Jojo? I've never seen Nia do one of those turns where the leg goes straight out and they go around and around like Sophia Lucia, my favourite dance move (what is it called?).
Is Nia really left out, she seems friendly with Kalani and Jojo quite a bit. On youtube it seems like Maddie and Kalani are close, with Kendall tagging along, then Kenzie and Brynn hang out. Jojo has videos up with Kalani and Kendall mainly. Anyway Nia will be fine, she's smart and sensible, much more so than her fame hungry mother.

Kira said on twitter "Ok now lets determine brynns fate since her mom hasn't already have we learned yet be a witch w a B and hey you got a contract #letsbereal", she really does hate Brynn's mum. It's funny how Kira is so feisty when Kalani is so even tempered and sweet.

Last night when she was just running the lyrics with Toddrick seemed to be without auto-tune and she was very good. They auto-tuned the bejeezus out of the commercial though.

I have to disagree, sorry. She wasn't very good, she was just fine. She was alright, as in she can sing in tune and she's confident with it and that's ok, but surely doesn't justify a career in singing. She's the best on that team for sure, but in the real world of child singers I stand by my point that she doesn't level up. 

Look at the kids on Broadway, on tv talent shows like AGT & the Voice, on Youtube channels like Spirit YPC etc. Nia couldn't stand up against these children. She doesn't have the right voice/projection right now for musical theatre and isn't exceptional enough to be a pop singer. She'd have to be exceptional, surely? It's all very well and good to be the best singer within a world that revolves around dance but here is where I think Holly - and Abby for that matter - are blind to what else is going on out there in the world, outside the ALDC.

• Love 2

I have to disagree, sorry. She wasn't very good, she was just fine. She was alright, as in she can sing in tune and she's confident with it and that's ok, but surely doesn't justify a career in singing. She's the best on that team for sure, but in the real world of child singers I stand by my point that she doesn't level up. 

Look at the kids on Broadway, on tv talent shows like AGT & the Voice, on Youtube channels like Spirit YPC etc. Nia couldn't stand up against these children. She doesn't have the right voice/projection right now for musical theatre and isn't exceptional enough to be a pop singer. She'd have to be exceptional, surely? It's all very well and good to be the best singer within a world that revolves around dance but here is where I think Holly - and Abby for that matter - are blind to what else is going on out there in the world, outside the ALDC.

That's true, for example this girl is 12 and much better than Nia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Sxw9asfX0. Nia, Kenzie and Kendall can all hold a tune but none are exceptional singers (or dancers :P).

Can someone with inside info answer this for me?  Mackenzie was in PA last week competing & won a "scholarship" for best overall.  Per Melissa, she beat out 200 kids for this prize.  Exactly what is a dance scholarship good towards?  Does it allow the kid to take extra classes or attend dance camp?  If it let's the kids go to another reputable studio/performing arts school to really learn technique, that's nice.

No inside info, ha!  Just looked on the Dance Moms Wiki - Kenzie won the Jr. Grand Prize Scholarship at Hollywood Vibe in Pittsburgh, which appears to be cash and an invitation to the nationals and inclusion on the Team that performs at the Gala (as well as the LA Agency Award, it's not clear if this is just a qualifier for nationals or a win, it includes headshots and a scholarship at Millennium as well as a representation) - the Grand Prize for the Teens and Srs is much better with a scholarship to Millennium.

(what is it called?).

à la seconde

They are easier to perfect than fouetté pirouettes, they are also regarded as the men's turn in formal ballet.

And yes, we've seen Nia do à la secondes in group dances.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1

They didn't pick Nia for the same reason that Nia has been excluded for years. The kids aren't that excited about being her friend. This isn't anything new and its something that Holly has been saying for a while. Even back in Pittsburgh, she didn't get invited to the sleepovers or the off-camera events with the kids. She's always been on the outside. Personally, I think its because she's the brown kid, but YMMV. Nia has had dances this year where she has had more of a featured role, which play to her strength and power, and yet you never hear the girls telling her how great she was or how happy they are for the few successes she has had.

And while I don't think that Nia automatically deserves a spot, I think that Holly's issue is that Abby bends over backwards to find reasons to give the girls (other than Maddie) special treatment. A few weeks before, she put Mack up on the top of the pyramid essentially for not sticking out in the group dance. Kendall gets acknowledged because she's pretty and even Jojo (who Abby hates only slightly less than Nia) gets acknowledged as the quirky kid. Kalani is the oldest and most mature and Brynn has great feet and technique. Abby only manages to find anything special about Nia when she is giving her some sort of underhanded shade and insult (I mean how can we forget that based upon the dances she's given, Nia is perfect to portray animals and drag queens???). I think Holly wants Abby to at a minimum acknowledge Nia as someone who is loyal and consistently continues to try to improve. What has struck me most about Nia has been watching her respect for Abby die slowly. I still remember her talking heads from a few years ago when she talked about wanting to make Miss Abby proud, and to get to this week's "Abby doesn't support me" must have been painful for her to acknowledge.

• Love 4

It doesn't?  From where I sit Britney Spears became a superstar with very little singing talent.  I also don't think Miley Cyrus is some amazing voice in the world.  To me, there are many popular singers who have a good voice, but not the most amazing voice.  In fact, I think its rare for a singer to have an exceptional voice anymore.  Madonna, Paula Abdul are two others.  Not everyone is Adele, and in fact few singers are.  

I'm surprised that anyone really thinks exceptional is the standard for singers in this day and age.  Yeah, if you want to go on the Voice or if you look like Susan Boyle thats going to be the standard, but if you're trying to sing pop music?  Really?

They didn't pick Nia for the same reason that Nia has been excluded for years. The kids aren't that excited about being her friend. This isn't anything new and its something that Holly has been saying for a while. Even back in Pittsburgh, she didn't get invited to the sleepovers or the off-camera events with the kids. She's always been on the outside. Personally, I think its because she's the brown kid, but YMMV. Nia has had dances this year where she has had more of a featured role, which play to her strength and power, and yet you never hear the girls telling her how great she was or how happy they are for the few successes she has had.

And while I don't think that Nia automatically deserves a spot, I think that Holly's issue is that Abby bends over backwards to find reasons to give the girls (other than Maddie) special treatment. A few weeks before, she put Mack up on the top of the pyramid essentially for not sticking out in the group dance. Kendall gets acknowledged because she's pretty and even Jojo (who Abby hates only slightly less than Nia) gets acknowledged as the quirky kid. Kalani is the oldest and most mature and Brynn has great feet and technique. Abby only manages to find anything special about Nia when she is giving her some sort of underhanded shade and insult (I mean how can we forget that based upon the dances she's given, Nia is perfect to portray animals and drag queens???). I think Holly wants Abby to at a minimum acknowledge Nia as someone who is loyal and consistently continues to try to improve. What has struck me most about Nia has been watching her respect for Abby die slowly. I still remember her talking heads from a few years ago when she talked about wanting to make Miss Abby proud, and to get to this week's "Abby doesn't support me" must have been painful for her to acknowledge.

I do think that Abby likes Nia, and I think that a lot of the way Abby treats Nia, has only been designed to make Nia look better.  But I do agree with the rest of your comments, and I think that Holly should be working double and triple time to get Nia out of there and to encourage her to pursue more acting opportunities.

In spite of naysayers, Nia is no worse an actress (from what I've seen) than anyone on the Disney channel or Nickelodeon....which frankly, doesn't require some high bar of acting skill.  She has a great attitude and spirit, and a natural talent to embody characters, even in her dances, which is something you clearly cannot teach (Kendall/Brynn).  Her mother should be encouraging and promoting that career and focus less on dance.  And her singing, which again, at her age, doesn't require any amazing level of talent.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 3

I agree but I can't agree with Holly's decision to stay at ALDC. Chloe has had some interesting things come her way, including a movie role, and she's not being excluded/humiliated/suffering from the results of racial microaggresssions every week on tv. Abby's not gong to change and the producers dont want to change the on-set culture.

Don't get me wrong. I think Holly is all kinds of wrong for keeping Nia at ALDC, especially if the role she is given is righteous indignation. Now if she got "gives no *ks" as her role, then I might be down for it. Being the mom sitting in the corner with her coffee and book, only putting it down to look at them all and say "You all know you're crazy, right?" then I might understand it. But the current state of affairs is just a pride-swallowing slog for seemingly little benefit.

• Love 2

That's true, for example this girl is 12 and much better than Nia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Sxw9asfX0. Nia, Kenzie and Kendall can all hold a tune but none are exceptional singers (or dancers :P).

LOL at searching the internet to find someone better than Nia.  Funny.

If we went on a mission we could find a theater actor better than Sir Ian McKellan, does that mean he isn't talented in his own right?  If we went on a mission to find a singer better than Beyonce, we could find about 100, does that mean she isn't talented in her own right?  In fact, I bet we could search and find about 10-20 dancers better than Maddie....much better than Maddie, but that doesn't mean she isn't talented in her own right. There is always someone better and there is always someone worse, to me that means nothing.  

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 3

I don't think Nia's level of talent is what keeps her from Disney or Nickelodeon shows. As many have pointed out, the acting on those shows tends to be mediocre to bad. But one thing a lot of those kids have in common is they are petite and look younger than their age. Nia has a healthy strong body, and I think she looks older than she actually is. I guess she could be cast as an older teenager. Those kids also seem to have loud expressive personalities, whereas Nia is very proper and mature.

But it doesn't matter how any of us feel on the subject. Holly has become such a stage mom that Nia would be on those shows if they wanted her. It appears they don't want her.

I don't think Nia's level of talent is what keeps her from Disney or Nickelodeon shows. As many have pointed out, the acting on those shows tends to be mediocre to bad. But one thing a lot of those kids have in common is they are petite and look younger than their age. Nia has a healthy strong body, and I think she looks older than she actually is. I guess she could be cast as an older teenager. Those kids also seem to have loud expressive personalities, whereas Nia is very proper and mature.

But it doesn't matter how any of us feel on the subject. Holly has become such a stage mom that Nia would be on those shows if they wanted her. It appears they don't want her.

I don't think that Holly has focused her efforts that way, and has likely relied on the show to get Nia some Sia style opportunity.  She doesn't need to pull Nia off the show, but she needs to find a good agent, or even a decent agent that can find those opportunities for Nia.  And given the explosions of alternative media, there should be more than a few opportunities for someone who already is on a popular TV show.  But, Holly needs to realize that she can't pull an Abby and try to manage Nia's career by herself if she wants Nia to have a career, she needs to find a hungry young agent/manager for Nia and give them the reins.  If Nia has an agent and this is the best they are doing, Nia needs another agent.

Nia can be loud and expressive when need be, which we've seen during the acting workshop.  Janet Jackson is generally quiet, and by no means the best actress in the world, but when she was on TV (as a child) she was loud and expressive.  So, I don't think your "natural personality" should be a bar from being successful as a child actor.

Edited by RCharter

LOL at searching the internet to find someone better than Nia.  Funny.

I didn't, that's my favourite show, so the singer immediately popped to mind, and I could link many more.

Rlb8031, I agree with your second paragraph about how sad it was to watch Nia's respect for Abby decline, and the relationship between them break (as I believe, early on, Abby did actually support Nia). However I'm not so sure the reason the girls never hung out with her much was because she's "the brown girl".. I feel doubtful they care. It's probably more so that they just don't have much in common. But we have seen Nia being really friendly with Kalani at least? I binge watched all the seasons when I discovered the show last year, and I went from being so touched when Nia got first place for the first time that I teared up, to wanting her to lose because Holly was being so irritating with that music business (last season they were awful). Now I'm back to supporting Nia, but NOT Holly.

Brynn was just lucky she got first pick for the trios and got to nab Kehlani.  I actually would have loved to see Kendall and Jill's faces if Maddie got first pick and picked Kehlani over Kendall.  You know she would have since Kendall can't hold a candle to Kehlani in any aspect.

Melissa is unbelievable.  Guess what Melissa...you had a kid on each team, so you shouldn't have been upset that Maddie lost since that meant that Mack won.  

I actually understood why Nia wasn't picked.  I also thought Maddie's rationale for picking Jojo made sense.  However Jojo could not keep up in that dance at all.  She was struggling.  Kendall honestly wasn't that great either but at least she blends.

I also think expecting people to be rewarded on seniority is dumb.  I do think Holly/Nia need to accept that Nia isn't the best one there.  However I do feel bad for Nia because it always suck to be the one left out when picking teams, let alone to be the one left out in a group of pre-teen/teenage girls.  I do think Abby could have worked it better where as Nia said, maybe the girl that gets left out gets a solo.  Or a feature in the group number.  Or just something so they don't feel like complete crap.

Jill is insane but I don't think it even needs to be said at this point.

Janet Jackson is Michael Jackson's sister though, lol. Even his pets were famous for a while.

But I guess the DM parent who is the prime example of keeping your kid in a bad situation for dubious reasons is Ashley. She's stopped her daughter's *good* training for an opportunity to be on tv. Meanwhile, her daughter is being  bullied by parents and subjected to mean girl behavior from her peers. This show, man.

She was a child actor before he was a huge solo artist.  I believe her acting started during the Jackson 5 years.   LOL.....I remember Bubbles!!

I keep hoping that Ashley/Brynn is some sort of act, or at least that Ashley prepared Brynn for all this.  If this is all real, its just bad bad bad.

But I guess the DM parent who is the prime example of keeping your kid in a bad situation for dubious reasons is Ashley. She's stopped her daughter's *good* training for an opportunity to be on tv. Meanwhile, her daughter is being  bullied by parents and subjected to mean girl behavior from her peers. This show, man.

I don't remember, was Brynn on briefly last season or was it the season before?  One of the moms from Club Dance, not a mom of anyone on the show posted here briefly and complained about one of the other dancers going to be on Cathy's team last year.  That's even more questionable, imho.  Not because I think Cathy's training is worse - but to give up intense training to be in the background so to speak.

Edited by NextIteration