Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

I thought that 'Oprah offered to pay their college tuition' rumor had been thoroughly debunked ages ago. It's turned into quite the urban legend.

Huh? I never heard the debunking -- or at least if I did I promptly forgot it because the story works so well with all my prejudices! Well, so much for that theory. I still think that the Oprah staff may have only hinted but not spelled out the abuse rumor to TLC, though. Followed by TLC not following up on it because they could smell the money.

I think the tuition refusal is a rumor as well. Didn't it supposedly come from an audience member? There would be no audience since the appearance was cancelled. This is pure speculation on my part, but I can't see Jim Bob and Michelle turning down money. Even if it had Oprah restrictions, they would have tried to find a loophole to use it to their advantage. JMO. 

• Love 4

I think the tuition refusal is a rumor as well. Didn't it supposedly come from an audience member? There would be no audience since the appearance was cancelled. This is pure speculation on my part, but I can't see Jim Bob and Michelle turning down money. Even if it had Oprah restrictions, they would have tried to find a loophole to use it to their advantage. JMO. 

True that. Jim Bob might find himself going to college 12 times if that was the only way he could get the money for himself.

• Love 4

I believe the Oprah/tuition/scholarship story was spun by the precursor to Razing Ruth--jhawksgirl. Jhawksgirl embellished "Alice's" story about the Duggars and Oprah. If I recall correctly, Jhawksgirl claimed her friend was a Harpo producer who gave her this inside information. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to those original TWoP posts. But, yeah, I'm pretty sure that's where the story originated, and it is not true.

• Love 4

I personally watched on my tv the "tuition" Oprah talk show episode in its' one and only airing. I was unemployed at the time, and I'll never forget the look on Jill's crestfallen face. Her face was full of hope after Oprah made the tuition offer (speaking to Jill) to send Jill to nursing school, but her face was crestfallen when Jim Bob answered on Jill's behalf by shaking his head no, as well as saying "No". Jill verbally stayed silent as if she knew that she was not "allowed" to speak for herself. It was heartbreaking to watch JB's arrogant attitude and his smug facial expression. I have hated Jim Bob Duggar ever since. It's something that I've never forgotten.

I personally watched on my tv the "tuition" Oprah talk show episode in its' one and only airing. I was unemployed at the time, and I'll never forget the look on Jill's crestfallen face.

Are you sure you're remembering this correctly? Because to my knowledge the episode wasn't even filmed, much less aired.

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 9

I'm not sure but I believe the Duggars were yearly specials during that time, so it is not like they were under contract with TLC then.  I think the Oprah non-show was a few years before the Duggars had a series on TLC. TLC may have heard the gossip, and maybe purposely did not look into it any further, or didn't think they needed to because nothing really came of the rumors then. At least publicly. 

Edited by GeeGolly

I personally watched on my tv the "tuition" Oprah talk show episode in its' one and only airing. I was unemployed at the time, and I'll never forget the look on Jill's crestfallen face.

BS. This never happened. All the documents show that Oprah never filmed a show. Also, there'd be a type of it somewhere. And it'd be listed in the Oprah episode guides. There's a separate thread for fanfic. I'd repost that there. EDIT: Also, the scandal was front page news with insane media scrutiny and fact-checking. Someone would've found this.

Jim Bob wouldn't have said no on-air anyway. Jesus would've given him a reason after the show aired to reject it. The Duggars never show the crushing of dreams on TV, just the aftermath where the victim says its really what they wanted all along.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 8

I don't know how accurate this article is,  but I found this:

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2015/05/22/oprah-moved-quickly-on-duggar-report-tlc-quiet-so-far-about-its-star-family

It says that they were all in Chicago to film Oprah but that the taping was cancelled after Harpo production heard about the rumors.  This one on the other hand says it was taped but never aired: http://www.9news.com/story/entertainment/2015/05/26/UPDATED-Josh-Duggar-Molestation-Allegations-A-Timeline-of-Events/27994179/?csp=etonline.

I'm so curious what the truth is. Doubt we'll ever know.

• Love 2

I believe the police report mentioned someone having contacted Harpo with the molestation allegations. I do not doubt the validity of that part of the story. I am specifically addressing the Oprah/tuition rumor, which I believe was started by a known Internet troll. I absolutely disagree with midwesthoosier's statement. Nothing like that ever happened. If it had, it would have been a huge deal, and all of us long-time Duggar followers would have talked about it to death...and would certainly remember it.

Edited by Wok Chop
  • Love 5

I don't know how accurate this article is,  but I found this:

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2015/05/22/oprah-moved-quickly-on-duggar-report-tlc-quiet-so-far-about-its-star-family

It says that they were all in Chicago to film Oprah but that the taping was cancelled after Harpo production heard about the rumors.  This one on the other hand says it was taped but never aired: http://www.9news.com/story/entertainment/2015/05/26/UPDATED-Josh-Duggar-Molestation-Allegations-A-Timeline-of-Events/27994179/?csp=etonline.

I'm so curious what the truth is. Doubt we'll ever know.

Both articles say before taping.

• Love 1

I'm not sure but I believe the Duggars were yearly specials during that time, so it is not like they were under contract with TLC then.  I think the Oprah non-show was a few years before the Duggars had a series on TLC. TLC may have heard the gossip, and maybe purposely did not look into it any further, or didn't think they needed to because nothing really came of the rumors then. At least publicly. 

TLC made two specials with the Duggars in 2006 (Moving In with all the free shit and On the Road w/16 Children), the same year that the Duggars were scheduled to be on Oprah. And don't forget, even a reality show takes months to get to air; TLC would have contracted them for the series sometime in 2007 for filming in early 2008. So no, the Duggars were definitely NOT off of TLC's radar at this time, it was merely a time of transition. Now, the key here is what Boob told TLC about Oprah, IF anything at all, because that email spurred the now-famous police report. Did he really keep TLC in the dark about all this? I would think that TLC would drop them from consideration for a series if they actually knew what had happened between filming of the last special and filming of the series. I have to believe that Boob swept it all under the rug, hoping that it would never see the light of day. 

I really wish we could hear TLC's version of events, even if it confirms that they were duped by this conman. They still made a buttload of money off of the Duggars, so business-wise, it's not really a negative for them. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

Both articles say before taping.

Ah I see you're right depending on how you read it. I was going by the person they quoted in the second article where it says they "taped Oprah Winfrey" so I was assuming they actually taped. But it could be read another way, she "wined and dined" them in anticipation of taping but they never did. In any case I think it would've been leaked or aired or something by now if it existed, unless Oprah's got some incredibly talented film-destroyers. There are so many people willing to crucify the Duggars for so many things I just feel like an actual video would've leaked by now.

I wouldn't be too terribly surprised to find out Oprah privately offered some type of additional education to Jill or some of the other kids (girls especially) and it was rejected, but I have no clue if that was ever offered, public, or aired.

I know we have talked about this, but I would like to ask again,

When Oprah abruptly cancelled the appearance TLC would of known obviously and the reason why. Maybe Oprah's staff gave a vague acceptable reason versus telling the truth, but I doubt TLC would of just gone along with it.

So, imo they would of had to have know the truth. I can't see them believing some story the Duggars cooked up. They would of investgated, looked around, talked to people.

Of course we have seen many skeletons come out on numerous reality shows over the years too.

But, I keep coming back to Oprah. A cancellation of an appearance like that, not your typical show , but involving huge budget to house, feed and prep them all costs.

So, wouldn't of TLC said, something really bad happened here.

My answer is always money. Too much potential money to be made.

My bet is TLC did know and went ahead anyway. That would explain why there seemed to be "negotiations" around the cancellation.

Edited by mimionthebeach
  • Love 3

I personally watched on my tv the "tuition" Oprah talk show episode in its' one and only airing. I was unemployed at the time, and I'll never forget the look on Jill's crestfallen face. Her face was full of hope after Oprah made the tuition offer (speaking to Jill) to send Jill to nursing school, but her face was crestfallen when Jim Bob answered on Jill's behalf by shaking his head no, as well as saying "No". Jill verbally stayed silent as if she knew that she was not "allowed" to speak for herself. It was heartbreaking to watch JB's arrogant attitude and his smug facial expression. I have hated Jim Bob Duggar ever since. It's something that I've never forgotten.

I agree with JoanArc (and love the name, by the way) and call BS. That episode, if it was ever taped, was never aired. 

• Love 3

Pure fact-free speculation, but Oprah is a sexual abuse survivor, and a vocal one. The Josh stuff, while not yet public knowledge, may have seemed legitimate enough to Oprah that she called everything off because, unlike the Duggars, she knows a little something about the way reality fame and People covers work and that it was only a matter of time before the world knew. Oprah is insanely smart and I bet she knew it was better not to be associated with them, both personally and professionally.

I don't believe that rumor AT ALL but I do feel that Oprah should be ashamed of herself on the off chance it's true. Particularly because she is a victim of such abuse. If she suspected abuse way back then, why didn't she say something or report it? I feel the same way about the idiot (I can't remember his name) security guard who came out and said that he knew all along that Micheal Jackson had been molesting children. He should've been hung and quartered, too, for knowing and not stepping up to protect the children. My family stopped speaking to me for years because I reported my own sister. It was hard, but I didn't care. I HAD to protect my nieces and nephew.

Edited by duggarfan
  • Love 1

My understanding was that Harpo productions did report Josh to the police.  If so, she and her team did more than TLC, Discovery, Figure 8 productions, and the Duggar family's church community ever did. I don't know that there was much more for her and her production company to do based on the information, an email from a stranger, provided to them.  I don't even know if she could be legally updated on the status of the investigation.  

Duggarfan, you did the right thing reporting your sister. That must have been very difficult decision. Your nieces and nephew are very lucky to have you as an aunt. You didn't minimize abuse and didn't look the other way.

• Love 10

I don't believe that rumor AT ALL but I do feel that Oprah should be ashamed of herself on the off chance it's true. Particularly because she is a victim of such abuse. If she suspected abuse way back then, why didn't she say something or report it? I feel the same way about the idiot (I can't remember his name) security guard who came out and said that he knew all along that Micheal Jackson had been molesting children. He should've been hung and quartered, too, for knowing and not stepping up to protect the children. My family stopped speaking to me for years because I reported my own sister. It was hard, but I didn't care. I HAD to protect my nieces and nephew.

There is NO indication that Oprah knew. The allegations were handled by her production staff, which may have happened after taping but before airing, IF that's how the timeline shook out; we have no confirmation that the show ever taped. As I understand it, the Duggars DID travel to Chicago, and the whistleblower likely was set into motion at that time. Oprah may have been informed about everything after the fact, ie. after production chucked the taping. She would have of course been curious as to what happened, but by then, production had alerted the AR authorities, so there was nothing else Oprah or her employees were obligated to do. Could she have outed them? Sure, but I imagine she wanted to let this proceed through normal channels and contribute what, if anything, she knew when contacted. Had things progressed further, I have no doubt that her production team would have been contacted. TBH, anything Oprah knew would have been heresay, so she may well could have been kept out of further investigations. 

Since the statue had run, and the hands of the police were tied, there was really nothing more Harpo productions could do. They acted as they should when receiving such a piece of information. Had the statute not run, we would have found out what happened in Chicago. We'll never know for sure what happened, but  based on what we do know, I can't fault Oprah or her production team in this case. 

• Love 3

I wouldn't believe my pure fact-free speculation either. :) Your nieces and nephew are lucky to have you as their aunt. Far, far too many people look the other way, especially for family members, and thank goodness they had someone to advocate for them before anything else happened. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I've been in an abusive situation too and let me tell you, having someone on your side makes all the difference in the world.

• Love 2

I was not talking about the 2006 Oprah show where Jill's age would have been around 13 or 14. I am remembering something else involving Jill and an offer for nursing college tuition from "someone", but I am misremembering who it was from; and Jill would have been around 17 or 18, right before they said that she was going to undergo training to become a midwife. Perhaps I am remembering a dream. Anyways, it is a mystery, and I'll post links if I ever find proof of it; probably not from Oprah, but it was someone off-camera talking with Jill and JB, with all the other Duggars lined up in sitting position all around them, with bleacher-type seats. Wish me luck in solving my mystery; no intention to "purposely" lie about anything, just a lot of confusion.

• Love 5

Yes, Gil and Erin recounted the story of how she was offered a music scholarship to the University of TN by her music teacher, who was (maybe still is?) a professor there. That's when she made the infamous speech about possibly having to sit next to someone with green hair. But you could see that Erin was not happy about not being able to go there. Body language said a ton more than her mouth did. 

eta: It's never been made public that Jill (or any other Duggar) has been offered anything remotely similar. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6

Thanks for the comment, drafan !

TLC, formerly known as The Learning Channel, used to run documentaries about WWII, science, and history.

Bravo - home of the Real Housewives of Wherever - used to broadcast OPERAS !

MTV used to show actual music videos. 

The world has gone to hell in a handcart. "Real" reality just isn't interesting enough for the drama vultures and emotional vampires...

On a good note, though, I think I might get one of those $15 Duggar Studios t-shirts (a small !) cut it down to a belly shirt, make the neckline so low the whole world will be saying NIKE !  and then drive to Tonitown to see if I can run into one of them. Sure, it's almost a thousand miles from SomePityCity, but wouldn't the look on Michelle's face be just PRICELESS when she catches me in that get-up at Aldi's ?!  I'm thinking eye-buggage to a degree we've never seen before  ;)

Now THAT is depressing. I am happy to say that the Duggars were the only reality TV I ever watched. I watched Breaking Amish once, actually, before I realized it was badly acted fiction. 

I have such mixed emotions -- I am glad the gravy train is over, because Boob in particular doesn't deserve it, but I will also miss getting to snark on new material. Maybe their YouTube channel will still afford us the occasional opportunity.

• Love 1

I miss my Josie Girl.  I really do.  She was the whole show for me.  Well, Michelle and her Minnie Mouse voice too.  I couldn't pick out any of the other kids in a lineup, but I lit up when Josie was on.  I wanted to watch her grow.  I miss her whacky antics. Collecting all that laundry and pushing the carts around, too much.  She has a zest for life. I loved when she just got on her bike and rode off.  Good for you, Josie.  I think her birth hardship gave her an extra helping of living and loving life without sweating the small stuff.  Maybe by the time she's grown her life can be different.

• Love 4

I wonder who's on J'Slave duty during the conference. Miracle Josie needs to be watched 24/7. MVP Jana, 'eh, better than Jessa' J'Slave Jinger and actual real mother Michelle will be out of town. Maybe Amy can earn herself a frozen margarita machine.

• Love 2

Hey now they can film my doctor and his brothers and sisters every one of them are doctors that's 13 in all and their mom has a Masters and their dad was a pharmacist!

That's AMAZING, and thus, unfortunately, not the stuff that TV dreams are made of. TLC, DIscovery, etc, would only latch on to a reality series in this vein if they were all also strippers, or hoarders, or weighed 600 pounds, or were extremist religious whack-a-doodles. Frumper-jumpers and poor nutrition optional.

• Love 4

Hey now they can film my doctor and his brothers and sisters every one of them are doctors that's 13 in all and their mom has a Masters and their dad was a pharmacist!

People don't really like to have their relative failure rubbed in their faces.

Don't forget Grandma, everyone else has! Perhaps now that the show's done she's moved out.

Jackson undies ain't gonna scrub themselves.

But realistically, she has 4 washers and 4 dryers, how hard could her job really be?

• Love 3

Defrauder's post in the Michelle and JimBob thread prompted me to bring this INQUISITR link over.

The mind! It reels!

I am not familiar with how close INQUISITR sticks to facts but I don't really doubt any of this.

And there are pictures.

I might be mistaken but Occupancy Laws are more for a landlord than a renter or dweller of a home. I believe they protect a landlord if they opt to refuse to rent a small home to a large family, etc.

So while the article seems to be true as to how the Duggars were living, I think it is making more controversy where there may be none.

• Love 1

That article seems pretty fair. A national documentary detailing their poor living conditions is damning evidence. Jim Bob better settle that suit out of court. I kind of hope he's suicidally stupid enough to let it go to trail. Bonus points if he acts as his own lawyer. Honesty, either way they're out six or seven figures.

I just wish the kids could sue Jim Bob.

• Love 11

So while the article seems to be true as to how the Duggars were living, I think it is making more controversy where there may be none.

Perfectly said. Michelle and JimBob are morons, and Josh is disgusting, but articles like this one feed the fires of those who scream that the Duggars are being "unfairly" persecuted. The known facts of this case speak volumes. I fear that some are losing perspective and an article like this one indicates that.

• Love 3

I might be mistaken but Occupancy Laws are more for a landlord than a renter or dweller of a home. I believe they protect a landlord if they opt to refuse to rent a small home to a large family, etc.

I wondered about that occupancy issue too. I figure if nothing else the information sure do make JimBob and Michelle look bad!

How new is the info about the non-family member claim against Josh? I was thinking he "only" abused his sisters.

Now I feel kinda' dirty...

• Love 1

Smuggar" deserves to face accountability for his actions. If he can't go to jail, he ought to be liable for what he did- perhaps the fifth victim will press forward with her lawsuit. The parents are just as, if not more, guilty for their role in covering it up, brushing it under the rug and then blowing it off like "No big deal" when the truth came out.

This comment was on the linked article this person has to be one of us as who else but us calls him Smuggar? :)

• Love 5

I am not familiar with how close INQUISITR sticks to facts but I don't really doubt any of this.

I don't know anything about this story, but Inquisitr is an aggregator site. It's sort of like saying how close Google sticks to facts, or the internet. It's not a requirement for entry.

• Love 2

I wondered about that occupancy issue too. I figure if nothing else the information sure do make JimBob and Michelle look bad!

How new is the info about the non-family member claim against Josh? I was thinking he "only" abused his sisters.

Now I feel kinda' dirty...

I think it's been part of the story since the beginning. I've always heard it as 5 victims including 4 sisters. The other one from the released report was visiting or babysitting (can't remember which now) and sleeping on the couch.

• Love 2

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/michelle-duggar-struggling-after-josh-duggar-s-molestation-scandal-report-66493

InTouch is getting desperate. They imply that the laundry room breakdown happened after the scandal came to light, not 10+ years ago.

I guess reporter Amber Belus doesn't even read her own magazine. And neither does the online editor, if they have such a person. Man, the 24-hour news cycle is tragic and embarrassing.

• Love 7

I guess reporter Amber Belus doesn't even read her own magazine. And neither does the online editor, if they have such a person. Man, the 24-hour news cycle is tragic and embarrassing.

I read Michelle's post. If you read 3/4 of the way down she says this was 12 years ago. They should pull that story.

I do think Michelle is struggling now, but she'll need to do it in public for me to believe it.

• Love 3

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/michelle-duggar-struggling-after-josh-duggar-s-molestation-scandal-report-66493

InTouch is getting desperate. They imply that the laundry room breakdown happened after the scandal came to light, not 10+ years ago.

InTouch is a sleazy celebrity tabloid rag. No one should ever forget that fact. They aren't desperate, this is normal behaviour from them.

I read Michelle's post. If you read 3/4 of the way down she says this was 12 years ago. They should pull that story.

I do think Michelle is struggling now, but she'll need to do it in public for me to believe it.

Did they ever pull the stories or issue a retraction about Jennifer Aniston being constantly pregnant for like a decade?
  • Love 2

InTouch is a sleazy celebrity tabloid rag. No one should ever forget that fact. They aren't desperate, this is normal behaviour from them.

The people at In Touch are still far better people than the Duggars.  I'll take being around gossipy tabloid people over those who molest children, try to cover it up, and blame the victims any day.

• Love 14

Meanwhile, Christianity Today has picked up the InTouch you-mean-she-isn't-an-unpaid-intern? sloppy-rehashing story and actually kind of embroidered on it.

http://www.christianitydaily.com/articles/5408/20150812/19-kids-counting-matriarch-michelle-duggar-suffers-mental-breakdown-cancellation.htm

Don't know who the heck they are, but the pub name is interesting. Guess they don't follow the Duggars any more closely than the mistaken InTouch night-desk-so-I-don't-give-a-crap online-writer woman. Which is also interesting. I'd think that writers for something called Christianity Today -- which appears to be kind of conservative-Christian oriented --- would be even more aware than InTouch reporters that there are no longer any diaper-wearers (with the possible or likely exceptions of Michelle and Jim-Bob) among the TTH inhabitants. That must be a big disappointment to JB. (Not the diaper thing. The "we don't really know what you're doing" thing.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1

I predict she will be found in a bikini of course, with mower of course, wreaking havoc on a labor and delivery floor of a hospital.  Sort of like Susan Hayward screaming I WANNA LIVE.   

• Love 6