Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

I predict she will be found in a bikini of course, with mower of course, wreaking havoc on a labor and delivery floor of a hospital.  Sort of like Susan Hayward screaming I WANNA LIVE.   

Off Topic but i love that movie I wanna live.

• Love 4

Meanwhile, Christianity Today has picked up the InTouch you-mean-she-isn't-an-unpaid-intern? sloppy-rehashing story and actually kind of embroidered on it.

http://www.christianitydaily.com/articles/5408/20150812/19-kids-counting-matriarch-michelle-duggar-suffers-mental-breakdown-cancellation.htm

Don't know who the heck they are, but the pub name is interesting. Guess they don't follow the Duggars any more closely than the mistaken InTouch night-desk-so-I-don't-give-a-crap online-writer woman. Which is also interesting. I'd think that writers for something called Christianity Today -- which appears to be kind of conservative-Christian oriented --- would be even more aware than InTouch reporters that there are no longer any diaper-wearers (with the possible or likely exceptions of Michelle and Jim-Bob) among the TTH inhabitants. That must be a big disappointment to JB. (Not the diaper thing. The "we don't really know what you're doing" thing.)

US picked it up too, then corrected the article. That's something, I guess.

They also lowered the price for their crap. Ahhh, desperation.

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/duggar-teeshirt-fundraiser-discount-lowers-price/

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 2

The people at In Touch are still far better people than the Duggars. I'll take being around gossipy tabloid people over those who molest children, try to cover it up, and blame the victims any day.

InTouch exposed the Duggar girls as sexual abuse victims and exploited it solely for the purpose of selling magazines and making money.
  • Love 2

InTouch exposed the Duggar girls as sexual abuse victims and exploited it solely for the purpose of selling magazines and making money.

They sure did. They are in the business of selling magazines to make money. Their paper is a rag, but freedom of the press and all that.......

Edited by kathe5133
  • Love 14

I guess reporter Amber Belus doesn't even read her own magazine. And neither does the online editor, if they have such a person. Man, the 24-hour news cycle is tragic and embarrassing.

I've seen this same story in different venues.  Lazy reporting - just copying and pasting!

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 1

They sure did. They are in the business of selling magazines to make money. Their paper is a rag, but freedom of the press and all that.......

Doesn't mean InTouch's actions didn't harm the sexual abuse victims, or that it served the greater good. I can't think of any other western country that would allow InTouch to do what they did. InTouch credited the story to "InTouch", did none of the writers want the byline? Aren't they proud of what they wrote? Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

For whatever little it's worth, I was an online 'reporter' for a print publication with a really good reputation for journalistic standards, and none of the online 'reporters' were factchecked or edited. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the young woman who wrote the story is getting piecework money for filling the news hole, although probably not any more.

• Love 1

Info the on the documentary:

http://deadline.com/2015/08/tlc-child-sex-abuse-documentary-duggars-1201498313/

TLC has scheduled its documentary about child sex abuse that was prompted by child molestation allegations against Josh Duggar. The film Breaking The Silence will air at 10 PM on August 30.

10 pm on a Sunday night. TLC's not losing much money on this one. It hasn't been filmed yet. Guess we know why Jill's flying in.

• Love 1

More details from PEOPLE

TLC Breaking the Silence First Look: Documentary about Childhood Abuse

Viewers will also hear from experts during a sexual abuse prevention training given by Darkness to Light, one of the nation's leading organizations for abuse prevention, where Jill and Jessa Duggar attend following their own family's experience as they hope to help others and promote adult education for the protection of children .

Info the on the documentary:

http://deadline.com/2015/08/tlc-child-sex-abuse-documentary-duggars-1201498313/

10 pm on a Sunday night. TLC's not losing much money on this one. It hasn't been filmed yet. Guess we know why Jill's flying in.

It doesn't say that it hasn't been filmed yet. The article speaks in future tense about the content of the program when it airs.  

eta: Jill and Derick were spotted in NYC today with the Seewalds. I think we have our answer about the taping schedule. I am also surprised that they're so free to travel not even two months after starting their mission work. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

Official press release from Darkness to Light

A compelling part of the documentary will be a look inside a training session held in New York City earlier in August that included Jill and Jessa Duggar. Through viewing the Docutraining® that features survivors, community members, and experts as well as participating in a facilitator-led discussion, attendees are able to see how they can better protect the children in their lives through practicing the five steps of prevention.

You're not kidding!  First comment: "I got molested by Josh Duggar and all I got was this lousy tshirt" 

I guess the leghumpers don't read

Unfortunately, the above t-shirt would probably sell like hotcakes...

eta: Jill and Derick were spotted in NYC today with the Seewalds. I think we have our answer about the taping schedule. I am also surprised that they're so free to travel not even two months after starting their mission work. 

It's easy to get time off when you're not really doing "mission work".

• Love 4

Unfortunately, the above t-shirt would probably sell like hotcakes...

It's easy to get time off when you're not really doing "mission work".

I have a friend who did long-term mission work in Africa a few years back. She was part of a non-denominational organization that tried to do actual, constructive work, and not an evangelical mission where the primary focus is on conversion. Anyway, she mentioned that her team was pretty flexible with the time off and she regularly took side trips to other cities/countries while she was there. The whole point was was so they could have a break and recharge, just like many of us who take vacations or only work weekdays while getting the weekend off. As such, I didn't think it was odd that Derick and Jill were able to travel after a few months in the mission field. It's not like they were in NY purely for fun, they actually had some TLC/work business to do while they were there.

Maybe other mission are less flexible about their time off?

Edited by Mariva
  • Love 1

Even though they were probably paid to attend, and even though they probably had everything comped, it is great that Jessa and Jill attended this training program. Isn't that what we wanted?  Is there any chance that this starts them questioning JB after the way he handled things?

• Love 6

I have a friend who did long-term mission work in Africa a few years back. She was part of a non-denominational organization that tried to do actual, constructive work, and not an evangelical mission where the primary focus is on conversion. Anyway, she mentioned that her team was pretty flexible with the time off and she regularly took side trips to other cities/countries while she was there. The whole point was was so they could have a break and recharge, just like many of us who take vacations or only work weekdays while getting the weekend off. As such, I didn't think it was odd that Derick and Jill were able to travel after a few months in the mission field. It's not like they were in NY purely for fun, they actually had some TLC/work business to do while they were there.

Maybe other mission are less flexible about their time off?

The Dullards have only been gone a bit over one month. Not a few months.

• Love 3

The Dullards have only been gone a bit over one month. Not a few months.

Yep. If you need a vacation after a month, you might not be a hard worker. Remember, they've already been to the beach in El Salvador, and had other excursions.

I'm sure Jill is insufferable with conversion stories.

• Love 4

Unless step #1 is teaching the victim it's not their fault; I don't wanna hear it. 

Well, Erin Merryn spoke with the Duggars and told them that they handled it all wrong. So since she's involved with Darkness to Light it seems that they won't exactly embrace the Duggar slant on things.

I assume that Jill and Jessa wanted to be involved because they see it as a step toward getting their own show. And I expect that both TLC and Erin Merryn will basically decline to mention the myriad problems with the way the Duggars, including J and J, have approached and are approaching the thing. But I do think there's some hope that the Duggs will just put in a very brief appearance and say little, while the show will focus on putting out proper messages. I expect they'll lie about the Duggs by omission, but only by omission -- I doubt they'll actually air any Duggar "advice" about how to handle it. 

Although Michelle's appearance in NYC worries me. She might purpose to kind of lie on tv about what their approach has been. And then later, when she's on her own, she might purpose to go around speaking about it, freelance, advocating the Duggar way far and wide. Being on the show could set her up nicely to be able to do that. Hope they barred the door. But what I pick up from the Erin Merryn quotes is that she certainly doesn't agree with their approach to the molestation, but she probably doesn't realize how misguided, stupid, ignorant and often downright evil JB and M actually are. So I can imagine her being let on to the show at the last minute, since they see her as a well meaning Christian mom. (certainly hope they didn't do this)

http://www.today.com/popculture/sexual-abuse-survivor-spoke-duggars-wake-molestation-allegations-t24681

'According to sexual abuse survivor and prevention advocate Erin Merryn, in 2014, the Duggars asked her to speak to their children about sexual abuse — though they failed to tell her about the incidents that occurred in their own home.

'She's since remained in touch with the family, and just this week informed them of her opinion on the revelations.

'"I said, 'I believe that you did not handle this the proper way. That you should have gone to the authorities immediately, and that Josh should have never been allowed to live in that home again,'" Merryn recalled while speaking to NBC News in a spot that aired on TODAY Friday.'

http://www.d2l.org/site/c.4dICIJOkGcISE/b.9298111/k.E4C/D2L_Announces_Partnership_with_TLC.htm

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

I didn't know Erin Merryn said that! That warms my cockles and gives me hope that Mechelle is not involved in this, although in that case she was definitely in NYC to oversee her grown daughters because no one in this family trusts anyone else farther than they can be thrown. 

• Love 11

I'm assuming the documentary will have clear messages it intends to convey, if Michelle shows up to filming, invited or not, and says things that conflict with those messages, it's likely it'll be edited out.

God help us if this is a Figure8, Enlow production.

The TLC article provides a link with some sad statistics.

http://www.d2l.org/site/c.4dICIJOkGcISE/b.9292355/k.BC8E/nbspnbspStatistics.htm

I think the statistics on adolescent offenders, that even without treatment they're unlikely to reoffend as adults, could be somewhat encouraging to those who fear for Josh's children.
  • Love 1

I have tried to read all posts, but I am confused so I hope someone can clear this up for me.

Jinger is in NY too and supposedly going to be on the abuse show?

Michelle is in NY too?

If Michelle is there then that is 100% proof to me that the lies and stories will continue.   Of course, I never thought Jill and Jessa would add anything positive or any credibility to the special. Actually, I think they discount it and make people CONTINUE to believe (like me) that TLC is pile of shit.

I know during the Fox interviews Erin Merryn came off hinky to me.    Something bothered me about her.    

Also, since this special is supposed to be helpful to ALL, and since victims and survivors are all different, I am not at all interested in a Christian organization, if thats what one of them are.   They should not be showcasing a religion based group imo.

• Love 4

If Michelle is there then that is 100% proof to me that the lies and stories will continue.   Of course, I never thought Jill and Jessa would add anything positive or any credibility to the special. Actually, I think they discount it and make people CONTINUE to believe (like me) that TLC is pile of shit.

All we actually know, though, is that Michelle was in New York. And the only evidence we have of who is and isn't on the show is the press release, which explicitly mentioned Jill and Jessa only. There's zero actual evidence that Michelle will be on the show and a bit of evidence that she won't. There are plenty of other reasons she may have wanted to be in New York -- notably, that she doesn't trust any of her kids and that she loves vacations, including in the evil Big Apple. I think the evidence is very much on the side of her not being on the show.

When it comes to showcasing a religious approach to this -- Well, their doing it stems from what happens from the Duggars. And they're having the Duggar daughters on, presumably at least in part to get some Duggar fans to watch. So it makes perfect sense to me that they would talk about responsible Christian responses and therapy, since that's the only approach that would actually resonate at all with most of those fans. If they have any intention of reaching out to those folks, then that seems like a reasonable thing to do. Their overall effort will involve some ongoing stuff, online stuff and not just this special. RAINN is involved in those, so they're not going to look at Christian programs only.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

I understand what you are saying  and I agree that Michelle is there to make sure nothing "wrong'' is said.    I never thought she would actually be on the show.

I will respectfully disagree or maybe just say that I still do not like the idea of Christian counseling.   If TLC's approach is wanting Duggars fans to watch, then it just reinforces my belief their intentions are not honorable with such a serious subject.  The Duggars do not represent anything good, honest or even Christian to me.

I am also sick  of having to hear or read the word Christian, because these days all it usually means is some kind of jab, false superiority or separation of some kind. 

I do respect my own Christian friends because they never act that way or make me feel not part of the club so to speak.     But I cannot imagine anyone who has been molested or raped and having to feel for even a quarter of a second like he or she is exempt from this particular organization.

There is enough good  help out there without having to bring one religion into it.

• Love 14

I think the photo of Jinger is of her allegedly driving to the Bates wedding.

Right. She was pictured driving the Stink Bus. She came with the rest of the family from AR. 

However, there are pictures of Mechelle in Times Square with Jill and Jessa, plus the shot of her and Jill at the airport with Izzy, so we have proof that she was indeed at the filming. 

• Love 1

Unless Michelle also happens to be the producer, she will have no input to this documentary. I think at most, if she was in New York, she was babysitting Izzy (Jill has a lot of favors to call in), and if she was in the studio, she was in a green room or dressing room the whole time with the baby. There's not going to be a Duggar style Christian spin on this special, they couldn't even get that for their own reality series. I do suspect TLC may be testing the waters with this special to see how the public stomach the daughters, but if that's the case expect Christianity to be even less visible than it was on the old show.

I understand what you are saying  and I agree that Michelle is there to make sure nothing "wrong'' is said.    I never thought she would actually be on the show.

I will respectfully disagree or maybe just say that I still do not like the idea of Christian counseling.   If TLC's approach is wanting Duggars fans to watch, then it just reinforces my belief their intentions are not honorable with such a serious subject.  The Duggars do not represent anything good, honest or even Christian to me.

I am also sick  of having to hear or read the word Christian, because these days all it usually means is some kind of jab, false superiority or separation of some kind. 

I do respect my own Christian friends because they never act that way or make me feel not part of the club so to speak.     But I cannot imagine anyone who has been molested or raped and having to feel for even a quarter of a second like he or she is exempt from this particular organization.

There is enough good  help out there without having to bring one religion into it.

I hear ya.

• Love 2

...  The Duggars do not represent anything good, honest or even Christian to me...

And unfortunately to many, the Duggars do represent Christianity. A group of people that probably has little exposure to the help that is available outside of their own little community. If the TV special can help to normalize receiving secular help, then I think that is a good thing.

RAINN is a reputable organization and will not want the show to include any ambiguous or harmful advice or information.

• Love 5

I just wish the kids could sue Jim Bob.

I'll go a step back from that. I wish the kids wanted to sue Jim Bob. To me, that would be a very positive development, whether they actually could sue him or not. But I expect the emotional, spiritual and intellectual abuse and manipulation are so strong in that household that they can't even formulate the thought -- We oughta sue Pops! .... or at least that most can't formulate the thought and the one or two who can feel too constrained by the whole situation ever to say it out loud.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11

I'll go a step back from that. I wish the kids wanted to sue Jim Bob. To me, that would be a very positive development, whether they actually could sue him or not. But I expect the emotional, spiritual and intellectual abuse and manipulation are so strong in that household that they can't even formulate the thought -- We oughta sue Pops! .... or at least that most can't formulate the thought and the one or two who can feel too constrained by the whole situation ever to say it out loud.

Excellent post! I would wager that Jim Bob and Michelle's behind-the-scenes crazyness/abuse/true selves during the scandal likely woke up a kid or two. Not that they'll ever admit it publicly, but it's 'out there' infecting their thoughts. It's a good thing.

• Love 4

I can only hope that JoanArc and Churchhoney are correct and the info they receive from this exercise actually helps them.

I guess I made the mistake of thinking they realized they were victims.

What a sick cult.

I mean, my gosh! If they don't think what Josh did was wrong, what about their kids?

• Love 4

Right. She was pictured driving the Stink Bus. She came with the rest of the family from AR. 

However, there are pictures of Mechelle in Times Square with Jill and Jessa, plus the shot of her and Jill at the airport with Izzy, so we have proof that she was indeed at the filming. 

I can't help but think that J'chelle would be willing to appear on television admitting that her parenting decisions weren't great (for $$$$), but JB wouldn't -- even for a paday.

I know this comment will be unpopular - but here goes. I think the entire Duggar family knows what Josh did was wrong - even Josh. And in the end JB & M did something, maybe too little, too late, but they did not ignore it totally. The girls really may think it is 'no big deal' as in it didn't really impact their lives, then or now, and they have truly forgiven Josh. Given all that, during the Kelly interview they were defending themselves and their brother (as in he is not a pedophile), and no matter how articulate one may be, (or in their case, inarticulate) nothing they say will have the same frame of reference to others. I could be reading them wrong and they are doing the whole Stepford daughter thing, but Jill, at least, appeared very genuine.

If Michelle is there as a 'say this or that coach' then she sucks, as a mom and a human being.

Edited to add that Michelle does suck as a mom.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 6

I know this comment will be unpopular - but here goes. I think the entire Duggar family knows what Josh did was wrong - even Josh. And in the end JB & M did something, maybe too little, too late, but they did not ignore it totally. The girls really may think it is 'no big deal' as in it didn't really impact their lives, then or now, and they have truly forgiven Josh. Given all that, during the Kelly interview they were defending themselves and their brother (as in he is not a pedophile), and no matter how articulate one may be, (or in their case, inarticulate) nothing they say will have the same frame of reference to others. I could be reading them wrong and they are doing the whole Stepford daughter thing, but Jill, at least, appeared very genuine.

This! I think they are just neieve (sp?). That is the problem with their entire brand of "religion". They are isolated from the real world and only have access to their controlled environment. They truly didn't know what to do and relied on their equally isolated and neieve (must be spelled right cause autocorrect, but looks weird) church members. I believe that they are genuinely surprised by the backlash. Now is the time to see what they are truly made of. Will they take the time to educate themselves about the subject of sexual abuse? Perhaps realize that although their intentions were good, they did not handle things in the best way? Time will tell. I think that is why I keep following this forum. To keep up with the latest. The part of me that believes there is good in everyone is hoping they see the light.

Sorry about the quote thing. iPad. I don't know how to "cut and paste" on this thing!

Edited by kariyaki
Fixed quote tags
  • Love 3

Meanwhile, Christianity Today has picked up the InTouch you-mean-she-isn't-an-unpaid-intern? sloppy-rehashing story and actually kind of embroidered on it.

http://www.christianitydaily.com/articles/5408/20150812/19-kids-counting-matriarch-michelle-duggar-suffers-mental-breakdown-cancellation.htm

Don't know who the heck they are, but the pub name is interesting. Guess they don't follow the Duggars any more closely than the mistaken InTouch night-desk-so-I-don't-give-a-crap online-writer woman. Which is also interesting. I'd think that writers for something called Christianity Today -- which appears to be kind of conservative-Christian oriented --- would be even more aware than InTouch reporters that there are no longer any diaper-wearers (with the possible or likely exceptions of Michelle and Jim-Bob) among the TTH inhabitants. That must be a big disappointment to JB. (Not the diaper thing. The "we don't really know what you're doing" thing.)

This article is from Christianity Daily, not Christianity Today.

I mean, my gosh! If they don't think what Josh did was wrong, what about their kids?

I'm curious about something. I can't find one single interview or written piece of information where the Duggar family actually stated that what Josh did was not wrong. I've heard and read where others state that they said this and I've heard and read where people are up in arms because his family supported, supports and had forgiven him, but is there any actual, factual point at which they plainly stated such a thing?

I'm curious about something. I can't find one single interview or written piece of information where the Duggar family actually stated that what Josh did was not wrong. I've heard and read where others state that they said this and I've heard and read where people are up in arms because his family supported, supports and had forgiven him, but is there any actual, factual point at which they plainly stated such a thing?

I don't think they ever stated such a thing. Transcript of Megyn Kelly interview part 1, Michelle refers to Josh's "wrongdoings", JimBob says "(Josh) knew that it was wrong". Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2