Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

It's disgusting that TLC continues to support the Duggars, by paying them to be part of a special about abuse. Boob and J'Chelle feel that Josh did nothing wrong. Let Jill and Jessa heal in peace. Stop exploiting them. You cancelled 19 Kids And Counting. Be rid of the Duggars' completely.

Ditto.

I also find it to be, at the very least, hypocritical of TLC to yank the show but leave the episodes available online. Just curious but wouldn't viewing those episode generate some kind of ad revenue, or something, for TLC?

• Love 4

http://www.ifyouonlynews.com/religion/dead-broke-duggars-delete-embarrassing-plea-for-money-after-the-public-laughs-them-off/

That was quick. I think GEML mentioned not being able to find the plea for money. Now we know why!

Interesting that one commenter is pointing out that the Duggars are not impoverished, they had businesses before, they have the cell tower and the house is paid for. It's kind of a crazy statement: They aren't asking for money/donations because they are poor or NEED the money they just want it. Haha, just what is that persons point?

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 5

I saw that FOX news will be doing a Duggar special on Sunday at 9pm.

I don't know if it's a repeat of Megyn's interview...the previews were vague. It mentioned a lawsuit and showed an unattractive picture of Josh. Her original interview didn't have a lawsuit involved, did it?

I will flip to Megyn at 9 on Sunday and see what is on. 

• Love 1

I don't know if it's a repeat of Megyn's interview...the previews were vague. It mentioned a lawsuit and showed an unattractive picture of Josh. Her original interview didn't have a lawsuit involved, did it?

Marigold takes one for the team.  Thanks, babe.  You're a stronger woman than I am.

• Love 7

Interesting that one commenter is pointing out that the Duggars are not impoverished, they had businesses before, they have the cell tower and the house is paid for. It's kind of a crazy statement: They aren't asking for money/donations because they are poor or NEED the money they just want it. Haha, just what is that persons point?

And I don't think they can be in foreclosure if they pay cash up front on everything. 

I'm pretty sure that if they had a mortgage, we would know. That would be something people would blab about, as that would be going against their core "cash only" principle and people would love to ding them for the hypocrisy.

It looks like they have made changes to their official Facebook page. One used to be able to Post to Page or comment on their posts (I liked to slip in a random snarky comment), but now you can't.  There are still comments, so presumably they still allow those from people who are approved. 

• Love 1

I'm confused. How are they facing foreclosure if everything's paid for?

It's for a different property they own. It's an odd story that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I found this: http://www.examiner.com/article/jim-bob-and-michelle-duggar-have-10-home-foreclosure  (I think since this was posted the Duggars have dropped the lawsuit.)

Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar have another secret that they’ve tried to keep hidden from the public. According to Radar Online, June 29, 2015, they have a home in foreclosure. Radar Online obtained Court documents from the Washington County Circuit Court, dated in August 21, 2011. The documents state that Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar bought a home near Fayetteville from Kathryn Keller. They paid $10 for the three-bedroom, three-bathroom home. Fast-forward 2 years. Kathryn is still living in the home she sold to the Duggars and no one has bothered to pay the mortgage of around $162,500. So, the Novastar Mortgage Inc. started proceedings to bring the property into foreclosure. One year later, on August 20, 2014, Jim Bob and Michelle filed a lawsuit against the Deutsche Bank National Trust Company. They claim they were unaware of the mortgage foreclosure and they were not notified of the statutory foreclosure. They had a trial scheduled for May 12, 2015. However, both parties asked to have the date pushed back.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1

My listing for Fox says that Hannity will be doing an election special in that timeslot. I don't see anything Megyn Kelly related tonight. 

And that article? Poorly written and "researched." I love to get my Duggar snark on, but at least I do it with the facts. Slamming the Duggars with misinformation (like that they owe on their property...do we know how accurate that foreclosure story is?) just sinks the snark down to the uninformed, uneducated level of the leghumpers. Thank goodness we aim for a higher level of discourse around here. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5

On my MacBook Pro, there's nothing about subscribing or paying anything at all, although I have AdBlock which might be considering the "Gib us your dollars..." message as an ad. ?? And there's a tab or whatever labeled Merch, but if you click it, you get asked for a password. ?? I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find them selling things online in the very near future.

I got the same password request on the Merch page.

Perhaps their contract with TLC prevents them from merchandising themselves.

• Love 1

It's for a different property they own. It's an odd story that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I found this: http://www.examiner.com/article/jim-bob-and-michelle-duggar-have-10-home-foreclosure (I think since this was posted the Duggars have dropped the lawsuit.)

I wrote in the JimChelle thread

I'm guessing the Duggars didn't know about liens on the property. ETA: a search on actdatascout.com for the particular address shows 2 warrantee deeds from Ms Keller, as in she may have sold the land twice.

'$10 and other good and valuable' drives me nuts.

That "journalists" either don't know that '$10 and other good and valuable' nearly always never means the buyer paid only $10, or that they choose to ignore that fact, is really disappointing. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 4

It looks like they have made changes to their official Facebook page. One used to be able to Post to Page or comment on their posts (I liked to slip in a random snarky comment), but now you can't. There are still comments, so presumably they still allow those from people who are approved.

People haven't been able to Post to Page on the official Duggar Family facebook page since shortly after the scandal broke.

On threads, seemingly the only way to get a negative word in is to reply to a positive comment. Because they don't delete the positive comment itself, so all the back-and-forth beneath it stays also.

• Love 1

Nope, can't even reply to comments anymore. They are on serious lockdown.

Are you blocked on that page?

I see a Reply button for each comment, and can click it for a text box.

I also see many replies from others on previous photos/threads.

• Love 1

It's for a different property they own. It's an odd story that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I found this: http://www.examiner.com/article/jim-bob-and-michelle-duggar-have-10-home-foreclosure  (I think since this was posted the Duggars have dropped the lawsuit.)

Actually, I have heard of this happening before.  A home goes into foreclosure and there is a problem with notification.  I read of one older woman who was put out of her home because someone else bought it dirt cheap at a foreclosure sale.  It does happen.

• Love 1

I thought if you got blocked on Face Book, you couldn't even see their page.

Maybe if you're blocked from an individual's page, but for fan pages you just can't like or comment/reply.

• Love 1

LOL       Jim Bob probably had himself a Josie accident when he found out about this.  

Working title "Quiver-fail"

That's not the real moonie news. That's a 'parody' site that publishes button-pushing false stories to get clicks from Facebook users.

aah, too bad.   Somebody should make a movie. The possibilities are endless/

• Love 2

The comments on that page — How can people be so nasty?

I love that website... been posting there for 10 years. Michael K keeps it real.

Topic: I guess the same could be said of the Duggars and their comments about the LGBT community. How can people be so nasty?

• Love 15

This week's InTouch continues to peel back the layers on all things Duggar in the wake of Joshgate. A multipage article covers a lot of what we've been discussing here, and not in any kind of a flattering way (natch). They even quote someone who calls out the Duggars for their subjugation of women and their anti-intellectualism, in so many words.

No link, sorry - I read the paper version. I inherited my mom's subscription!

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2

You're blocked. I just replied to a friend's post on the Mechelle YMCA video.

Following the link from DListed gave me the Tshirt link. So, the boys are still moneygrubbing.

http://duggarstudios.com/merch/8paaras31ifkoaor5etnshb278sx9a

They don't sell XXXL, XXL or even XL! I don't think they'll make much money, but I don't think there is anything wrong with selling T-shirts.

Coincidently, El Salvador's biggest exports are T-shirts

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 3

I love that website... been posting there for 10 years. Michael K keeps it real.

Topic: I guess the same could be said of the Duggars and their comments about the LGBT community. How can people be so nasty?

I've never even heard of Michael K. Is it a gossip rag?

• Love 1

They don't sell XXXL, XXL or even XL! I don't think they'll make much money, but I don't think there is anything wrong with selling T-shirts.

Coincidently, El Salvador's biggest exports are T-shirts

I hope they only sell those t-shirts to guys, because they would be pretty defrauding on girls with boobs since your eyes go straight to their logo.

• Love 4

I hope they only sell those t-shirts to guys, because they would be pretty defrauding on girls with boobs since your eyes go straight to their logo.

Joy wears the Benham Brothers shirt all the time, and she's the bustiest of the Duggar girls by far...before Jill's milk came in. I'm surprised that Jessa hasn't worn Ben's stupid Roe v. Wade shirt and taken a zillion selfies. 

• Love 2

I finally have a moment to comment on the Megyn interview with Jessa and Jill. When Jill stated that they were "victims", I understood her to refer to being victims years ago of Josh's....so if that's the case, these girls and their parents state that they don't even remember the incidents, weren't awake at the time, it was no "big deal", they have forgiven him for something that they don't even remember and have moved on".....so, how can they be victims? Does anyone else understand her statement the same way as I do? There's a contradiction....again.

• Love 9

I finally have a moment to comment on the Megyn interview with Jessa and Jill. When Jill stated that they were "victims", I understood her to refer to being victims years ago of Josh's....so if that's the case, these girls and their parents state that they don't even remember the incidents, weren't awake at the time, it was no "big deal", they have forgiven him for something that they don't even remember and have moved on".....so, how can they be victims? Does anyone else understand her statement the same way as I do? There's a contradiction....again.

I think they meant victims of the exploitation of their sexual abuse by InTouch.
  • Love 3

Plus don't forget he was apparently "very sly."  That whole thing still blows my mind. And on separate occasions there was at least one child being read to and another in the laundry room (those two had to be awake and aware!). The two who talked said they weren't victims, but now they're being "re victimized" by the media - for something they were never victims of in the first place.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 11

Plus don't forget he was apparently "very sly."  That whole thing still blows my mind. And on separate occasions there was at least one child being read to and another in the laundry room (those two had to be awake and aware!). The two who talked said they weren't victims, but now they're being "re victimized" by the media - for something they were never victims of in the first place.

I give them a pass on this. They were trying to express the unfairness of this being public. What other language could they use? Whether one was aware they were being abused or not, it is still not cool to have it blasted all over the internet for the world to see. I agree with the girls - they were re-victimized.

• Love 4

What other language could they use?

They could have left off the "re-".  That prefix says that they are being made victims AGAIN; which contradicts completely the notion they were not victims before.

"We are being victimized by the media."

"We were not victims before; we didn't even know what happened. Now, I feel like a victim of the treatment I've received by the press."

• Love 19

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/05/it-cost-24-million-to-cancel-19-kids-and-counting/

It Cost $24 Million To Cancel ’19 Kids And Counting’

Kaitlan Collins
Entertainment Editor
11:02 AM 08/05/2015

TLC canceled “19 Kids and Counting” after Josh Duggar admitted to molesting several girls as a teenager, including his own sisters, and it cost their parent media group $24 million to end the series.

After the amount showed up on its second-quarter earnings report, Discovery Communications CFO Andy Warren confirmed the company took a $24 million hit for “restructuring” after it canceled the Duggar family’s show.

“Higher other losses (which includes currency impact) and $24 million in restructuring from the cancellation of ’19 Kids and Counting’ (not included in segment earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) offset the higher profitability leading to the earnings per share miss,” Warren said.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2

Awwww.... boo hoo.  How about a show about families that adopt or take in foster kids, or care for their elderly parents?

Not sexy enough. Or cheap enough. After all, one can only imagine the production costs of a Gypsy Sisters or the endless Amish shows.

And in today's edition of Send Money, Those iPhones and Uggs Won't Buy Themselves...

http://jezebel.com/the-duggars-need-your-love-support-and-all-your-dolla-1722231221

• Love 6