Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

Ha!  TIL Mondello and Wayne families were related.

No, actually it would have been the Mondellos and Graysons who'd have been related as  Harriet Cooper was supposed to have been Robin's widowed maternal aunt (and his actual name was Dick Grayson). However, we never learn what Harriet's original surname was supposed to have been nor do I recall either her or Robin ever mentioning his slain mother's given name. Then again, since Dick was Bruce Wayne's teenaged(!) ward who Aunt Harriet shared guardianship with, this oddly enough gave her high social standing in Gotham City (as in entree to all kinds of snooty clubs that were often targets for Batman's foes).

BTW, I know that the performer who'd played Larry Mondello ( one Robert AKA Rusty Stevens) had left the entertainment industry by this point, but it would have been an interesting twist had Larry visited  and tried to grub cash from his cousin and cousin's guardian before he got revealed as the villain called. ..the Whopper-er due to Larry's habit of telling all kinds of dumb lies to his gullible pal Beaver.

• LOL 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I hope this isn’t UO, but I don’t like the origin stories that try to suggest the villain’s backstory is sad enough that it excuses the horrible things they do.

In my mind the good stories don’t necessarily “excuse” but “explain” and “explore.”    If the writing and acting is good the show can tell a captivating story on why someone ultimately chooses to be a bad person.    I don’t need them to face justice or get what they deserve.  It all actually depends on what works for the story.  If the most compelling character in the show goes to jail in the second season I would find that annoying but if a character gets written into the ground season 5 and finds a way out of it yet again because he/she is bad and the show needs a bad character then that is annoying as well.  I base it totally on the writing and the need of characters.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 6
On 4/7/2023 at 8:30 AM, bluegirl147 said:

I'm doing a rewatch of Big Bang Theory and I don't know if this is unpopular or not but I cannot stand Amy Farrah Fowler.  I just finished season five and between her giving Penny that creepy giant painting of them and her being Bernadette's maid of honor I just wanted to punch her.  In later seasons I remember her becoming less annoying mostly because she was spending more time with Sheldon and Sheldon was always going to be the annoying one in any pairing. 

Fully agree. I could never stand Amy or Sheldon, both were just horrible. And I hated the idea that they were some great perfect couple. Of course they were "perfect" Amy gave in to everything. They all have in to almost everything Sheldon demanded. 

And early Amy was way better than anything Howard ever did. 

• Like 4
(edited)
32 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Fully agree. I could never stand Amy or Sheldon, both were just horrible. And I hated the idea that they were some great perfect couple. Of course they were "perfect" Amy gave in to everything. They all have in to almost everything Sheldon demanded. 

And early Amy was way better than anything Howard ever did. 

Really crazy timing, I just gave up in season 4 of my rewatch. I started ffw through all of Amy's scenes and I decided to just give up. Show really became crap when she came on. Just a completely unnecessary character that really hurt the show and never really fit in and certainly never made it better.

Along with the constant Ross-Rachel crap this show went down the drain after 3 seasons.

Edited by juno
  • Like 3
On 4/6/2023 at 8:53 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I certainly don't care how the Pink Ladies got started (sorry to be mean, but why would anyone?!?!)!

Seriously!

They are teens in high school.  Their "origin stories" are Elementary school and Middle school, FFS!!!

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 7
On 4/7/2023 at 2:04 PM, Crs97 said:

I guess we are supposed to hand-wave Sheldon as an unreliable narrator, but his mother made very similar comments on BBT.  I don't watch much Young Sheldon, but I basically pretend it is a different show when I stumble across an episode.

I haven't watched either show besides a few eps I've caught here and there but...why does it seem like they make it a thing that young Sheldon dresses in very proper button down shirts (even with a bow tie?) when as an adult doesn't he usually wear tee-shirts over long-sleeved shirts?

I know it's a nitpick but it's like he was a tiny adult as a kid and a big child as an adult. (And I know some kids who have to grow up fast wind up being irresponsible as adults for that reason but here it seems like it's just a case of clashing nerd stereotypes.)

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I know it's a nitpick but it's like he was a tiny adult as a kid and a big child as an adult.

In some ways this does happen.  When we first meet young Sheldon about the only thing he has in common with his older self (aside from intense smartitude) is that they both love Star Trek,  But then he gets introduced to comics and games like Dungeons and Dragons and we see the evolution begin...By the time we meet Sheldon as an adult his "nerd-dom" is complete.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

Doing a massive re-binge of all my favorites and I was surprised that I cannot get through the forth season of Big Bang Theory. Some reasons are:

1. The constant shipping of Leonard and Penny was just getting too much. It was becoming Ross and Rachel and a pain to watch the temporary relationships that they create and destroy.
  2. Amy; I already talked about this. She arrives on the show and does nothing but put everyone down and alienate everyone. Then instead of kicking her out which they should have done, she becomes a Stan for Penny and clings to Sheldon. Basically a horrible character.
  3. Sheldon; the selfishness and arrogance starts to wear me down and the fact that Leonard stays in the relationship start to become a bit stupid.

BTW really like Bernadette in the early seasons. For some reason she becomes increasingly mean and nasty as the show progresses. Not sad I missed that.

• Like 3

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion but I think the most average tv show I've watched in my life is Everybody Loves Raymond.

It's kinda mushy and corny but at the same time it has heart.  It's how I feel about Ray Romano... he's kind of on the winy side for me but I think he's a good guy deep down.  

The Raymond show itself I've watched it a few times.  It was all right.  It's not a show I'd watch on my own.  But a few times I was in a hotel room with my dad and we were looking for something to watch.  So yeah Everybody Loves Raymond came on.  And I was like yeah okay...   I mean it's kinda good for laughs kind of thing and is relatively harmless..  

On 4/6/2023 at 7:00 PM, AstridM said:

IDK, I absolutely adored Better Call Saul, but some others aren’t necessary.

Since you are a fan my favorite character in that show was the security guard in the 6th season that liked the Cinnabons.  I liked that jolly guy 

• Like 1
On 4/10/2023 at 11:33 AM, sistermagpie said:

I haven't watched either show besides a few eps I've caught here and there but...why does it seem like they make it a thing that young Sheldon dresses in very proper button down shirts (even with a bow tie?) when as an adult doesn't he usually wear tee-shirts over long-sleeved shirts?

I know it's a nitpick but it's like he was a tiny adult as a kid and a big child as an adult. (And I know some kids who have to grow up fast wind up being irresponsible as adults for that reason but here it seems like it's just a case of clashing nerd stereotypes.)

As Elizabeth Anne pointed out, it's part of the evolution of the character.  The show is in its 6th season now, and Sheldon started wearing superhero t-shirts in the finale of season 5.

On 4/10/2023 at 11:08 PM, juno said:

Doing a massive re-binge of all my favorites and I was surprised that I cannot get through the forth season of Big Bang Theory.

My opinion of TBBT is that I like parts of most seasons, except that awful final season, but I'm not fond of a lot of season 4.  Partly because of Sheldon almost always getting his way but mostly because I cannot stand Priya.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Partly because of Sheldon almost always getting his way but mostly because I cannot stand Priya.

She's a beautiful woman and she's a fine actress but the character was just awful.  We all knew the end game for Leonard was always going to be Penny anyway so this was  just a marking time relationship - but she could have been a little more pleasant!  Although maybe that was the point. 

With regard to the Leonard/Penny match at least they settled that relatively early in the run of the series and didn't wait until the final season!

Speaking of things about BBT that are hateable - I really disliked the way it was fine for the guys to hop from woman to woman but Penny having casual relationships with guys made her a slut.  

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 8
On 4/7/2023 at 12:03 PM, Zella said:

It's been a long time since I watched TBBT and I agree that Amy was insufferable, but they also started Flanderizing Sheldon pretty early when they realized he was a breakout character.

I always called it "Steve Urkleing". 

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

I guess my unpopular opinion is I liked Sheldon.  Oh not as someone I'd ever want to be friends with!  But as a character.  Definitely some episodes had him go too far but mostly I enjoyed him.  I especially liked the scenes where he and Penny played off each other.  

• Like 10
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion but I think the most average tv show I've watched in my life is Everybody Loves Raymond.

It's kinda mushy and corny but at the same time it has heart.  It's how I feel about Ray Romano... he's kind of on the winy side for me but I think he's a good guy deep down.  

The Raymond show itself I've watched it a few times.  It was all right.  It's not a show I'd watch on my own.  But a few times I was in a hotel room with my dad and we were looking for something to watch.  So yeah Everybody Loves Raymond came on.  And I was like yeah okay...   I mean it's kinda good for laughs kind of thing and is relatively harmless..  

Since you are a fan my favorite character in that show was the security guard in the 6th season that liked the Cinnabons.  I liked that jolly guy 

ELO was a good show that happened to air in kind of a sitcom dead zone and won a bunch of awards.  It started in 96 but many of the awards were in the 2000 to 2005 range that was post Seinfeld and after the decline of friends and frasier.

It was going against sex and the city will and grace, curb your enthusiasm, the last seasons of friends which weren't that good.  It wasn't a great group of shows.  Good not great competition.  All three of those other shows were pretty niche in their appeal. 

Arrested development, the office, and 30 rock then came along and just blew it out of the water.  

It's a perfectly enjoyable show. I watch it.  But it's not like any of the shows that came right after it that won emmies. It was kind of a lull in sitcoms in the early 2000s. 

Always sunny was 2005 as well and is much better than elo but ignored by the emmy people. 

6 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

She's a beautiful woman and she's a fine actress but the character was just awful.  We all knew the end game for Leonard was always going to be Penny anyway so this was  just a marking time relationship - but she could have been a little more pleasant!  Although maybe that was the point. 

With regard to the Leonard/Penny match at least they settled that relatively early in the run of the series and didn't wait until the final season!

Speaking of things about BBT that are hateable - I really disliked the way it was fine for the guys to hop from woman to woman but Penny having casual relationships with guys made her a slut.  

Priya was selfish manipulative whiny and cheated on him.  Just awful.  I hated her.  

And I was never big on penny and Leonard. I could take them or leave them amd never felt they had much chemistry.  And yes I know they dated in real life. 

But Priya was a shrew and a grade a c word who he should have dumped much sooner. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

She was good on Leverage when she helps an injured Parker deal with thieves. She works at the restaurant and was asked to help Parker while the team was away. Ironically enough her character's name is Amy. Also, it turns out that it's a kidnapping and she's the target.

Amy "Yes, but my other charity work doesn't involve having a gun in my face."

Parker "Yeah, I know right..oh you meant that as a bad thing." 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
15 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I guess my unpopular opinion is I liked Sheldon.  Oh not as someone I'd ever want to be friends with!  But as a character.  Definitely some episodes had him go too far but mostly I enjoyed him.  I especially liked the scenes where he and Penny played off each other.  

I found Sheldon tolerable because of Jim Parson's portrayal.  He could have been a one note character but JP gave him layers. I also liked his friendship with Penny.  One of the funniest scenes was after Penny and Leonard broke up (the first time) and they were "sharing custody" of Sheldon and Penny took him to Disneyland.  She brings him home late and Leonard is saying something like how am I going to get him to sleep now.  I also laugh every time when after Leonard and Penny consider rekindling their romance Sheldon makes them a relationship agreement and upon finding out they are not getting back together he just throws it in the air.

13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Priya was selfish manipulative whiny and cheated on him.  Just awful.  I hated her.  

She also didn't mesh well with the rest of the group.  

13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

ELO was a good show that happened to air in kind of a sitcom dead zone and won a bunch of awards.

That is good point.  I always wondered why ELO lasted as long as it did.  It was a standard family sitcom.  Of course now I won't even look at it because of Patricia Heaton for reasons.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

One of the funniest scenes was after Penny and Leonard broke up (the first time) and they were "sharing custody" of Sheldon and Penny took him to Disneyland.  She brings him home late and Leonard is saying something like how am I going to get him to sleep now.

Sheldon is so sweet trying to keep the peace here.  Jim really gave him some lovely layers. I know TPTB said Sheldon wasn’t written with a diagnosis, but I have two on the spectrum and he tracks.  When people say how much they hate Sheldon because he is selfish and self centered, it hurts my heart a little.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 2
1 minute ago, Crs97 said:

When people say how much they hate Sheldon because he is selfish and self centered, it hurts my heart a little.

I feel the same way.  There is a vulnerability to Sheldon that those closest to him can see.   That said I think one of the funniest scenes is from the very last episode where Penny, Amy and Leonard argue over who gets to wake Sheldon up with a slap

Penny Hofstadter: Well... should we wake him up?

Leonard Hofstadter: Well, he did say if he fell asleep, we were allowed to slap him awake.

Penny Hofstadter: [excited] Oh, boy.

Leonard Hofstadter: Wait a minute. Why do you get to do it?

Penny Hofstadter: 'Cause I called it.

Leonard Hofstadter: Well, you can't just call it. You have to earn it.

Penny Hofstadter: Oh, and you've earned it?

Leonard Hofstadter: No one has earned it more than me.

Amy Farrah Fowler: [clearing her throat] Ahem.

Leonard Hofstadter: You have your whole life to smack him around. This is my time.

Penny Hofstadter: Fine. Don't miss.

Leonard Hofstadter: It's not a volleyball. I can handle it.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
17 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Sheldon is so sweet trying to keep the peace here.  Jim really gave him some lovely layers. I know TPTB said Sheldon wasn’t written with a diagnosis, but I have two on the spectrum and he tracks.  When people say how much they hate Sheldon because he is selfish and self centered, it hurts my heart a little.

Yes.  Sheldon wasn't intending to be selfish or self centered. And when he was told he was behaving in that manner he sometimes changed his behavior.  

14 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

There is a vulnerability to Sheldon that those closest to him can see. 

Yes.  They wouldn't have stayed friends with him if there wasn't a genuine friendship there.

My favorite scene from Young Sheldon is when Sheldon was upset that nobody showed up to listen to the Nobel Prize winners announced and we see his friends as children and his adult self says something like things got better and he had friends. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yes.  Sheldon wasn't intending to be selfish or self centered. And when he was told he was behaving in that manner he sometimes changed his behavior.

Even at his worst, I’d take Sheldon over Steve Urkel any day. Sheldon at least got called out on his crap.

• Like 13
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I found Sheldon tolerable because of Jim Parson's portrayal.  He could have been a one note character but JP gave him layers.

I always wondered why Leonard didn't kill Sheldon in his sleep.  That is probably not an unpopular opinion, though.

1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

When people say how much they hate Sheldon because he is selfish and self centered

We say it because he is and it could've been curbed in his childhood had his mother allowed people to say no to him once in awhile.

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Even at his worst, I’d take Sheldon over Steve Urkel any day. Sheldon at least got called out on his crap.

That's the only reason I found Sheldon tolerable at all.

• Like 6

Sheldon and Penney actually were a much better and more intersting pairing than Penney and Leonard.  Not in a romantic way just in a friendship with a real bond

One of the best scenes is when she goes and comforts him on his birthday. 

There is actually a handful of scenes where sheldon/ jim parsons really just nails it work his acting in dramatic fashion

But overall tbbt is a mediocre sitcom that relied on a lot of cliches and easy jokes and tropes. 

• Like 5

Another Big Bang Theory UO is that in “The Itchy Brain Simulation” —ie the one where Sheldon makes Leonard wear the itchy sweater so that he’ll know it feels like every time whenever he gets fixated on something—I was on Sheldon’s side. Because I, like Sheldon, know exactly how it feels to be unable to help worrying about the small stuff, only to be told off that it’s no big deal, to just let it go, etc. It’s good advice in theory, but everyone that’s neurodivergent/on the spectrum knows it’s easier said than done.

And you can call Sheldon sadistic for making Leonard experience all that, but remember in the end, Leonard can take the sweater off. Sheldon and everyone else in his position can’t take off their brains. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, Crs97 said:

12 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Another Big Bang Theory UO is that in “The Itchy Brain Simulation” —ie the one where Sheldon makes Leonard wear the itchy sweater so that he’ll know it feels like every time whenever he gets fixated on something—I was on Sheldon’s side. Because I, like Sheldon, know exactly how it feels to be unable to help worrying about the small stuff, only to be told off that it’s no big deal, to just let it go, etc. It’s good advice in theory, but everyone that’s neurodivergent/on the spectrum knows it’s easier said than done.

And you can call Sheldon sadistic for making Leonard experience all that, but remember in the end, Leonard can take the sweater off. Sheldon and everyone else in his position can’t take off their brains. 

I think Sheldon does care about his family and friends he just isn't mushy. His relationship with his grandmother is wonderful.

On 4/12/2023 at 4:43 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

• Like 3

My favorite Sheldon moment is when he talks about gift giving and reciprocity and how "You haven't given me a gift, you've given me an obligation."  I feel him on that and the anxiety that comes with it.

• Like 9
55 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

My favorite Sheldon moment is when he talks about gift giving and reciprocity and how "You haven't given me a gift, you've given me an obligation."  I feel him on that and the anxiety that comes with it.

I loved the Christmas episode where she gave him a napkin.  I didn't finish the series because I stopped enjoying it, but I did love how Sheldon and Penny's friendship developed.  Their scenes together were some of my favorites.

• Like 7
10 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I don't even find him selfish, not much more than other TV characters or people I know. He just doesn't hide it behind polite conversation.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I've only seen a little of "Big Bang Theory" here and there, but I can believe that about Parsons' portrayal - I've seen him on talk shows and he always comes off like such a lovely person, so I can easily see that seeping into his performance of Sheldon to some degree :). 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I loved the Christmas episode where she gave him a napkin.  I didn't finish the series because I stopped enjoying it, but I did love how Sheldon and Penny's friendship developed.  Their scenes together were some of my favorites.

that was one of my favorite scenes, the napkin was signed by Leonard Nimoy and it almost made Sheldon pass out with excitement.

• Like 5
15 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I think Sheldon does care about his family and friends he just isn't mushy.

Sheldon absolutely cares about his friends and family.  He just doesn't express his feelings the way other people do.

12 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I don't even find him selfish, not much more than other TV characters or people I know. He just doesn't hide it behind polite conversation.

Yes Sheldon doesn't have that filter that most of have that prevents us from always saying what we think and feel.

12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I've only seen a little of "Big Bang Theory" here and there, but I can believe that about Parsons' portrayal - I've seen him on talk shows and he always comes off like such a lovely person, so I can easily see that seeping into his performance of Sheldon to some degree :). 

I recently watched him in the movie Spoiler Alert.  He gave a very touching performance.

He was interviewed for the oral history book about BBT and he really comes across as a genuinely nice guy. He does get a little wrapped up in things.  He told a story about him getting in his head about something and he came up one day and his husband had bags packed by the front door and Jim asked what is happening and his husband said we are going away for the weekend.  Jim said it helped.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, JimmyJabloon said:

Looks like my TBBT UO is that i actually liked Amy.😂

The only main character i hated throughout was Raj. Others had their moments but were generally fine.

I loathe Leonard's mom though. 

Yes, me as well. I can't watch his Mom either. Horrible character.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JimmyJabloon said:

The only main character i hated throughout was Raj. Others had their moments but were generally fine.

I hated Raj too but the writing for him was pretty bad. They never seemed to know what to do with his character. 

• Like 3

They allowed Howard to grow but made Raj such a caricature.  I actually liked the hotel executive his parents matched him with and wouldn’t have minded if they had worked out.

• Like 3

Yeah, Sheldon Cooper cares about his friends, but his lack of a filter is how we know he believes that women are "slaves to their biological urges" and literally talk only about periods when men aren't around, to name just two examples of his misogyny.

Edited by janie jones
  • Like 5
24 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Yeah, Sheldon Cooper cares about his friends, but his lack of a filter is how we know he believes that women are "slaves to their biological urges" and literally only talk about periods when men aren't around, to name just two examples of his misogyny.

I don't remember specifics as it was so long ago, but I watched a couple episodes of TBBT on a friend's recommendation, and promptly emailed her to say, "There were a couple of good laughs, but I can't get past the sexism."  Years later, someone posted this video, and I damn near nodded my head right off my body agreeing with it:

There's a later one, "The Complicity of Geek Masculinity".

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
On 4/14/2023 at 11:18 AM, JimmyJabloon said:

I didn't actually hate most of the characters. Mostly just minor ones like Leonard's mother and Priya.  And Sheldon 98% of the time. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
On 4/14/2023 at 5:18 PM, JimmyJabloon said:

Oh God, yes.

My UO is that, while I like Christine Baranski and I think she's good in some roles, she seems to me like a very bad actress in some others. For example in BBT, I think she's overacting way too much, without realizing it. I've only seen the trailer from The Gilded Age, but I had the same impression from her there. I don't understand how she can seem like such a hit and miss to me.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Oh God, yes.

My UO is that, while I like Christine Baranski and I think she's good in some roles, she seems to me like a very bad actress in some others. For example in BBT, I think she's overacting way too much, without realizing it. I've only seen the trailer from The Gilded Age, but I had the same impression from her there. I don't understand how she can seem like such a hit and miss to me.

Most of the "villians" in comedies have some redeeming qualities. She does not. Not one. She comes on the show to abuse her son each time. I have never understood the necessity of having such a horrible character that offers nothing to a show except to abuse the lead character.

• Like 5

Flashbacks. I know they help tell the back story of the characters, but damn do they take you out of the story. They interrupt the story and force your attention away from the present.

• Like 1
On 4/15/2023 at 10:12 PM, Bastet said:

I don't remember specifics as it was so long ago, but I watched a couple episodes of TBBT on a friend's recommendation, and promptly emailed her to say, "There were a couple of good laughs, but I can't get past the sexism."  Years later, someone posted this video, and I damn near nodded my head right off my body agreeing with it:

Chuck Lorre produced this show. Why are you surprised? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5
17 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Oh God, yes.

I normally love her, but she's a theatre actress who's over-projection often reads as camp.  She needs scene partners who match her intensity.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I normally love her, but she's a theatre actress who's over-projection often reads as camp.  She needs scene partners who match her intensity.  

She was great as egotistical Maryann in the TV show "Sybil".  She was supposed to be OTT, and she absolutely was.  I loved her with Sybil Shepherd.  

• Like 12

She was one of the high points of The Good Wife for me. Not really familiar with her other work, but Diane was one of the more restrained characters on the show as a general rule. She could be a real glorious boss bitch when the occasion called for it, though. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 3
35 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

She was great as egotistical Maryann in the TV show "Sybil".  She was supposed to be OTT, and she absolutely was.  I loved her with Sybil Shepherd. 

This was my first intro to her.  The way she said "Dr. Dick" her voice just dripping with venom!

Another role she was in where she played quite a different character was as the birth mother of Val in the movie The Birdcage.  It was a relatively small part but an important one and she was amazing in it!  Never realized what long dancers legs she had until I saw her dancing with Robin Williams.

• Like 8