Type keyword(s) to search

Sense8 In The Media

I don't think I have ever been this upset that a show has been cancelled.  I considered Sense8 the best show on Netflix's roster.  I wouldn't mind so much if they gave us one more season to finish it up but the ended the show on pretty much a cliffhanger.  

Stupid netflix.

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Is there somewhere we can write to them and appeal this? 

This petition was in a comment on the Sense8 FB page.
This one was on Tumblr.

I've used my Twitter account for (probably) the second time in my life hashtagging #bringbacksense8.

Bastards.  Hemlock Grove goes on like Dorian Grey.  They waste funding on seasons of nonsense like Marco Polo, Refuse to put down Old Yeller aka "House of Cards" but we lose Sense8.

Damn You Netflix.  Disgusted.

• Love 1

I just called Netflix to register my opinion. They said they'd pass it along and gave a couple of suggestions. (Also, flood them with calls.)

--Use the online form for suggesting shows: https://help.netflix.com/en/titlerequest?ui_action=title-suggestion-quicklinks

They may not grant another season, but we might get a movie to wrap it up.

--They are live monitoring their twitter feed. I'd say post to them directly. https://twitter.com/netflix/

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Chaos Theory said:

You could try calling them or http://help.netflix.com

under quick links there is "request a show". I put Sense8 on all three lines.

Done. I'll take either one more season or a movie but I can't stand that they left us hanging. It's just unkind. 

I'm literally heartbroken as this show gave me so much more than the regular droning on soap-ish stuff. 

• Love 3

I put both Sense8 and Bloodline there, even though the latter definitely finished. The whole season was off, because they cancelled it, and rushed the writers. 

I just told them that they're going to lose subscribers if they want a higher cancellation rate. I know a lot of people were happy that Netflix made their own shows, because they thought we'd get to actually see a show through, from beginning to end, rather than have it cancelled mid-season, or before it was done. Also, people clamouring to have Netflix save a show (like Longmire), because they didn't want it to end. I'm not the hugest fan of Sense8, but I'm pissed. 

So unfair! At least out of consideration for the fans a last season, maybe short 3 or 4 episodes. 

How can I sleep now with the strong possibility of never knowing the end of my babies? Wolfie? The show has great potential still!

Boooooo Netflix! Going to complain formally right now...

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

Bastards.  Hemlock Grove goes on like Dorian Grey.  They waste funding on seasons of nonsense like Marco Polo, Refuse to put down Old Yeller aka "House of Cards" but we lose Sense8.

Damn You Netflix.  Disgusted.

Both Marco Polo and Hemlock Grove are already cancelled.

Sad news.  I just finished Season 2 a few days ago and I thought it was great.  Very original premise and I loved the fact that the characters were from all over the world and diverse.  I was already looking forward to Season 3 and seeing how they would rescue Wolfgang.

• Love 1
(edited)

Reed Hastings the CEO of Netflix is trying to be a maverick.  He wants to cancel more popular shows because they are popular and to try to find a diamond in the rough.

Things go bad for Netflix when they try to change what works.  What I liked about Netflix was that you could feel safe that a show would at least be finished in a somewhat way.  Even Bloodline and Hemlock Grove ended in some fashion. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, nosleepforme said:

I really thought they would not end this show on a cliffhanger, because it wouldn't be worth as much to their library without an ending. 

Guess I was wrong.

I hope a petition will at least make them consider a wrap-up movie. I mean, FINALE SPOILER AHEAD 

Reveal hidden contents

all Sensates are in one location now

so they wouldn't need to

Reveal hidden contents

shoot in all of the locations

that they did for season two.

I'm hoping for the same, at least a movie or mini season. 

And 

Spoiler

Having everyone in the same place would make it a lot cheaper.

I'm just so unbelievably devastated by this news. I'm literally crying as I type, that's how much this show came to mean to me. This was a huge mistake on the part of Netflix, I'm just so furious. This was my favorite of all the Netflix shows, and I cant imagine not seeing how everything ends. I'm off to sign petitions and call Netflix to tell them what I think about this awful choice.

I mean...they cant leave us like that!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Reed Hastings the CEO of Netflix is trying to be a maverick.  He wants to cancel more popular shows because they are popular and to try to find a diamond in the rough. 

Just yesterday Reed  Hastings told Recode that he's urging his team to take more risks, and today they cancel one of the most Netflix shows you can ever have. 

When they cancelled The Get Down (most likely for cost reasons) I had a troubling suspicion that Sense8 might be in trouble for a similar logic but I desperately dismissed that notion. Now I'm devastated. I'd say this knocks the Netflix brand down a few notches for me. 

• Love 2

I wonder if they already knew this was coming and that was why the final episode felt so rushed at the end/messy. Something similar happened to Penny Dreadful when showrunners got the bad news mid-season.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I can't even find the words to say what I feel (except for nasty ones...)

Do you think they'll make dvds of the two seasons? Does Netflix do that?

When I saw the news I said "well, shit." I'm hugely disappointed, but I wondered how long they could keep producing a show that must cost a fortune to shoot. I am sad.

4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

The canceled this and then did renew a sleeper series like Red Oaks? Who's driving this car? (Rhetorical) 

I cant say it enough. I'm not happy. 

I think Red Oaks is Amazon. But I'm with you.

4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

think Red Oaks is Amazon. But I'm with you.

Oops! Too bad they don't pick this show up! 

Heck, the Wachowski's and Mr S who make this show ought to start a 'go fund me' page and let all of us who contribute $3 or more be the ones entitled to watch it!! 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

When I saw the news I said "well, shit." I'm hugely disappointed, but I wondered how long they could keep producing a show that must cost a fortune to shoot. I am sad.

I read somewhere earlier that it was 9M per episode.
I just found this and this.

Sense8 was expensive, but not that much, in comparison to other series.

What. The. Hell?!? This is hands-down a super original show, I cannot believe they decided to not renew it.

But Wolfgang. They havent rescued Wolfgang! I cannot believe they're going to leave us hanging, we didnt even see the eight sensates physically together. Im crushed.

• Love 6

I'm NOT okay with

Spoiler

poor Wolfgang being left for eternity in the clutches of BPO.

Hopefully the outrage will give them enough energy for a one-off movie to wrap things up. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I just read this blather:

“After 23 episodes, 16 cities and 13 countries, the story of the Sense8 cluster is coming to an end,” Cindy Holland, Netflix’s vice president of original content, said in a statement. “It is everything we and the fans dreamed it would be: bold, emotional, stunning, kick ass, and outright unforgettable.”

Seriously? I mean, it's all those things - but the story hasn't come to an end in any way the fans would find satisfying - the opposite in fact. This is what Jon Stewart used to call "polishing the turd."

Over the years, I've learned to accept that shows get cancelled, but this one stings.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, kieyra said:

I wonder if they already knew this was coming and that was why the final episode felt so rushed at the end/messy. Something similar happened to Penny Dreadful when showrunners got the bad news mid-season.

Not sure, of course, but I don't think so. Season 2 finished filming almost a year ago, I think, and Netflix was reportedly attempting to contract the cast for a potential Season 3 just a few months ago since the contracts had lapsed.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, kieyra said:

That's a good explanation for it. Although at the very least due to the nature of the shows, Sense8 had a much better season two than Penny Dreadful had a season three. Showtime totally hosed John Logan by telling him they were cancelling in the middle of a season where all the characters separated. 

I had the feeling at the end of Sense8's season two, we were only getting one more season max. I wish they could work out a deal where they'd only film in one country and that would significantly cut down on production costs. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Boundary said:

Just yesterday Reed  Hastings told Recode that he's urging his team to take more risks, and today they cancel one of the most Netflix shows you can ever have. 

When they cancelled The Get Down (most likely for cost reasons) I had a troubling suspicion that Sense8 might be in trouble for a similar logic but I desperately dismissed that notion. Now I'm devastated. I'd say this knocks the Netflix brand down a few notches for me. 

It's a great way to make people wary of getting into more Netflix shows as it means that just like with network and cable, there's no way of knowing whether a show will be given closure, or whether it will just end. I tend to wonder if the success of that 13 Reasons show is going to push them more toward what amounts to what amounts to an edgier version of stuff you could get on Freeform (to tap into the burgeoning YA audience), even if they say they want to take risks. 

I wonder if they will address the backlash as it may lead to long-term problems if they don't...I guess we'll see. I just feel bad for the viewers who identified with the show in a way they can't with most television. I have my issues with Netflix but I appreciated them for providing that to viewers, especially when it's still rare to find. I hope it won't be the end.

• Love 3

I haven't started season 2 yet but was planning on it. I definitely enjoyed season 1. I'm a little more leery of jumping into season 2 if it's going to end on a cliffhanger or there's really no closure. Just how frustrating is it for people who have seen season 2 that it's cancelled? Should I save myself that frustration? 

1 minute ago, Ronin Jackson said:

I haven't started season 2 yet but was planning on it. I definitely enjoyed season 1. I'm a little more leery of jumping into season 2 if it's going to end on a cliffhanger or there's really no closure. Just how frustrating is it for people who have seen season 2 that it's cancelled? Should I save myself that frustration? 

Not only does it end on a cliffhanger, it gives no emotional resolution for the overall arc of season 2. Meaning you will not leave with much feeling of satisfaction. Worse, for me, they squandered some obvious oppurtunies to give us that, with just a little tinkering of scenes. (Most of this has to do with the sensates in the "real world" but I won't say more than that.) The final episode ends with an abrupt splat, not a bang.

There are worthwhile scenes in season 2 (it's still a groundbreaking show), but I will be unlikely to rewatch this season.

• Love 5

Bummed out about this. Sounded like they were trying to get something going after season 2 came out, maybe they couldn't get the actors and whatnot firmed up. I'll miss these characters. 

28 minutes ago, Ronin Jackson said:

Me, too. I was going to start watching it, but now I'm not so sure I will.

The cliffhanger/non-resolution is frustrating, but the season is still really good. There's some fantastic character development as well as progress in the cluster's search for answers. In my opinion, it's well worth watching even if there's no resolution. Don't deny yourselves the experience that is available. 

• Love 16

I HATE it when this happens. So much crap on television, and something truly beautiful and unique and inclusive gets cancelled well before the plots are resolved. I'm not ready to say goodbye to these characters. Is Dectective Mun okay? Will they rescue Wolfgang? What was up with the secondary clusters? SO DISAPPOINTING.

And honestly, we may be living in the Golden Age of Television, but I'm sick to death of tuning into shows, letting myself get invested, and then having the plug get pulled. Instead of greenlighting five hundred or so pilots, network executives should pick their projects and COMMIT to them. 

This sort of policy is only going to bite Netflix (and other networks) in the ass. No one wants to risk starting a story that'll never get finished. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, kieyra said:

If they knew it was coming, I think they would have wrapped things up with a prettier bow than what we were left with. This is sad new indeed.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, justmehere said:

The cliffhanger/non-resolution is frustrating, but the season is still really good. There's some fantastic character development as well as progress in the cluster's search for answers. In my opinion, it's well worth watching even if there's no resolution. Don't deny yourselves the experience that is available. 

This so much. Yes, you don't get resolution of the plot aspects of the show, but the character development was so wonderful. Personally, this was my favorite season, and though I'm bummed we won't see more, I'm happy to have watched it.

• Love 6

I would still recommend watching the show/second season, because it really was excellent, taking the things that worked in the first season and expanding on them, allowing for more interaction between the characters, diving into the mythology and the world, and characters are just as lovable as ever. I'm still holding out hope that we will at least get a special to wrap things up if fans complain enough. Or maybe just a comic book or novel continuation, I will take anything!

I need hope that we will get something at least. Thinking about poor Wolfie being tortured by BPO forever is just too depressing to even think about.

• Love 6

What?! No! I just caught up on Season 2 and loved it. I was so looking forward to watching future seasons.

We live in an era where shows move networks, get limited returns, or are just un-cancelled. Sense8 needs any or all of those options, dammit!

• Love 3
(edited)

So I just got off the phone with Netflix, and the customer service lady I spoke with was very nice. She said that she would pass along my request for a third season ( or at least a movie to wrap things up), and that she has been getting calls constantly begging for a third season since they cancelled the show. She said she's been telling people to hit the Suggest a Title on Netflix support, and put Sense8 in as the show your requesting. I have no idea how much its going to help, but it feels good to do something at least. Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if this whole thing is some bizarre publicity stunt on the part of Netflix. They cancel what is clearly a popular show (the lady at the call center said it was one of their most popular) with a strong internet following, then bring it back because "its what our fans want" and they get to look like the heroes who put the fans first. Its all just super weird.

Is it time to bring out the #6seasonsandamovie hashtag again?!?!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Ravenya003 said:

No one wants to risk starting a story that'll never get finished. 

That seems too sweeping a statement. I have no idea how many other people react like me, but I can still find a long-form experience worthwhile, even if the end is unsatisfying or missing altogether. Maybe my age is showing: The whole idea that a proper finale is mandatory for a complete TV series experience is a relatively recent one.

That said, I too am gutted at the cancellation of Sense8. I enjoyed it, and felt that there was much more to tell about its world. There are some favorite series that I felt ended satisfyingly and in the right way and I don't want more of them (Leverage, seasons 1-3 of Arrested Development), but I do long for more of Sense8.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

So I just got off the phone with Netflix, and the customer service lady I spoke with was very nice. She said that she would pass along my request for a third season ( or at least a movie to wrap things up), and that she has been getting calls constantly begging for a third season since they cancelled the show. She said she's been telling people to hit the Suggest a Title on Netflix support, and put Sense8 in as the show your requesting. I have no idea how much its going to help, but it feels good to do something at least. Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if this whole thing is some bizarre publicity stunt on the part of Netflix. They cancel what is clearly a popular show (the lady at the call center said it was one of their most popular) with a strong internet following, then bring it back because "its what our fans want" and they get to look like the heroes who put the fans first. Its all just super weird.

I think I might have spoken to the same customer service lady.  Very nice.  One of the things I told her was the reason I liked Netflix was that they ended stories.  For better or worse both Bloodline and Hemlock Grove were given final seasons.   Hemlock Grove budget was cut to nothing and like Bloodline it left alot of people unhappy but it was still an ending.    If a show is not popular and just isn't getting the ratings then say that.   But from what I understand Sense8 has a genuine fanbase so unless there are other things going on it looks like Netflix is canceling for counterproductive reasons.  If it is too expensive say that as well.   Right now all it seems is that Netflix cancelled a popular show for no reason.     

That kind of thing makes me nervous about other Netflix shows.  Now I am not as certain about starting a show if Netflix is more likely to cancel.  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Thank you for the tip, I've done the Request A Show thing and it makes me feel relieved that I've done something visible to Netflix. Honestly, if all of us sent in the same request, they will take notice and if they then decide to ignore us then that's a risky corporate decision on their part.

With the way season 2 ended, they could easily wrap up the major storyline relatively cheaply and restore some goodwill. Better yet, how about committing to the original 5 seasons? Netflix might have to "lose" money for 3 more years but the Wachowskis and JMS will have to compromise as well: fewer cities, more indoor shots, quicker production schedule ... (but maintain a couple of spectacular action sequences the show thrives on).

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Maybe my age is showing: The whole idea that a proper finale is mandatory for a complete TV series experience is a relatively recent one.

Granted, there are considerations that have to be taken into account when it comes to TV shows: budget, actor availability, time restraints, viewer figures, etc. But I'm not talking necessarily about TV series, but stories in their purest form. A story must have a beginning, middle and end or else it's not a story - or sure as hell not a satisfying one.  

Sense8 is a television show that got cancelled. At some point, I'll have to make do with the fact that "shit happens". But I think it's reasonable to expect that every story will have an ending. This doesn't. 

• Love 2