Type keyword(s) to search

The Real O'Neals - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

He just did. He said he'd always been attracted to "bad boys" and they were usually jerks so he's looking for a nice guy now, one that follows all the rules and gets awards for attendance like Kenny. Plus - I know it's a matter of taste - but Kenny's not bad looking 

It seems like the audience really soured on Noah Galvin after that Vulture interview came out and now nobody likes Kenny but I don't care if the actor is a bitchy queen in real life, I still like Kenny and I still like the show. My one complaint is that I wish they'd give Shannon more to do.

I thought it was hilarious Brett caught Kenny with a white strip, acne strip and curler in his hair. And that Kenny wouldn't take the rap for Shannon when he found out it meant 2 days suspension. "No, yeah, it was Shannon. She went that way."

Eh, I think season 1 Kenny was a nice guy, but season 2 is stereotypical bitchy little queen.  

Look, I freely admit that certain parts of that interview made me vehemently dislike Galvin, but there has also been a definite shift in Galvin's performance and in the writing.

• Love 4

At that age, I would have been seriously swayed by anyone else who was out at school. It may be different now, but it was soooooooo lonely being queer in high school when I was there. I can imagine that the pool of options is small, and Kenny is nice to the guy, plus they're in the same church choir, so they see each other in a context where they have something in common, and there are probably even fewer guys willing to be out.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2

but there has also been a definite shift in Galvin's performance and in the writing.

YMMV but I haven't seen that. Kenny was just as self centered last season. And nothing he did this episode was very different from stuff he did last season. He got very over eager and trying too hard with the first guy interested in him last season. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

At that age, I would have been seriously swayed by anyone else who was out at school. It may be different now, but it was soooooooo lonely being queer in high school when I was there. I can imagine that the pool of options is small, and Kenny is nice to the guy, plus they're in the same church choir, so they see each other in a context where they have something in common, and there are probably even fewer guys willing to be out.

Ah,  well it was exactly the same ten years ago when I was in high school.   I dated a few guys just because they were gay to and I wanted to hold hands in a hallway on my way to class. 

Also sidebar,  while the vulture interview did sour Noah for me a lot it hasn't changed my view of Kenny.   He's kind of high maintenance but I can recall that time when I first was out and proud and wanted to be "super" gay because of it.   The whole I need to be gayer to prove I'm gay thing is real

• Love 2

Eh, I think season 1 Kenny was a nice guy, but season 2 is stereotypical bitchy little queen.  

I can understand how that's a perception but I personally see no difference in the way the character is either written or portrayed now as opposed to the first season. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Tiger said:

Look, I freely admit that certain parts of that interview made me vehemently dislike Galvin, but there has also been a definite shift in Galvin's performance and in the writing.

I agree. I also think Brett is Kenny's "bad boy," and I have a really hard time seeing any sort of attraction between the two. If anything, Brett sees Kenny as a little diversion before going back to someone (anyone) with a little more "spice."

I was sorry to see Pat and Eileen's divorce be final, because it was too easy. I know they were amicably divorcing, but division of assets is a set of salt shakers? That's why he's going to live in his tiny house in the garage? Pat's talk with Jimmy in the spa was great, and I liked the insecurities he had about being alone.  I still dislike Eileen and VP Murray together, so I'm hoping Eileen and Pat will get attracted to each other again. 

• Love 1
On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Suzy123 said:

Did a new episode come on yesterday? I'm not seeing it on the ABC app.

In Arizona (MST), it airs on Tuesdays (Yay, us! Except that I miss the last half of Bull). 

It was a new episode last night;  I thought it was good - the opening sure showed off Noah's dancing and singing abilities.   I liked that Eileen knew about Brett since the Christmas pageant.

• Love 2

I liked the song and dance number too. But what's with Escape Room Theme Night on ABC? They had an Escape Room on American Housewife too. I don't watch The Middle or Fresh off the Boat - did those shows have Escape Rooms too? Or was this some kind of weird coincidence?

The best part was Jimmy saying "this is just like the time you said I could go to the moon for my birthday. There is no moon!"

• Love 1

The Middle had an escape room two weeks ago. After tonight I was wondering if they were originally scheduled to all air on the same night. Fresh off the Boat is set in the 1990s and I don't think escape rooms were a thing back then. So that explains why FOTB didn't have an escape room in their episode.

• Love 1

So . . . WTH? Did the network deliberately plan some kind of Escape Room Theme for the night then decide to air The Middle earlier? Or do all the writers for these shows crib from each other? It's strange.

Noah Galvin has a great singing voice, but I just can't with Kenny.  

When Brett asked him to go to the Sia concert as his boyfriend, I actually said outloud "seriously?  Why?!?". 

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 1

Rolling in late to the party because I was extremely bored over the holidays and binged this show. I was actually quite surprised at how much I like it.

Noah's infamous interview was rather offputting, but I actually like Kenny. He's a little high-maintenance, but he actually comes across to me like a self-doubting recently out kid in a very religious family -- who goes to Catholic school, to boot. 

I like how Pat and Jimmy are supportive -- especially how casual about it all that Jimmy seems. 

Edited by jmonique
  • Love 6

Fresh off the Boat is set in the 1990s and I don't think escape rooms were a thing back then

Yeah even when Jodi said she and her ex went to one, I was surprised. Of course, I don't know exactly when they divorced but I thought it had been a few years and I feel like Room Escapes are pretty new (at least at the scale of today).

I do love Jimmy and the thing with the car in the alley was very funny to me. And I agree that Shannon needs more to do. Spread the wealth TPTB.

• Love 1

I loved Jimmy playing the tape recording of himself asking his parents if he passed 1,000 on his SATs if they'd buy him a car, and they just started laughing their asses off. So much so that he had to fast forward to the part where they finally agreed to it.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

I loved Jimmy playing the tape recording of himself asking his parents if he passed 1,000 on his SATs if they'd buy him a car, and they just started laughing their asses off. So much so that he had to fast forward to the part where they finally agreed to it.

Yeah that was hilarious. 

Noah's infamous interview was rather offputting, but I actually like Kenny. He's a little high-maintenance, but he actually comes across to me like a self-doubting recently out kid in a very religious family -- who goes to Catholic school, to boot. 

This. YMMV but I feel like if one cannot separate Noah from Kenny then it's best to just stop watching the show because everything the character does will be nitpicked and criticized because his portrayer was an asshole in an interview. Because Noah is obviously not going to stop playing Kenny and I for one don't want him to because I think he does an amazing job - asshole or not. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, jmonique said:

Rolling in late to the party because I was extremely bored over the holidays and binged this show. I was actually quite surprised at how much I like it.

Since you recently watched all episodes, did you notice a difference in Kenny's personality from the pilot to now? There's been discussion. ;)

Glad to have another viewer, although the show probably isn't long for the world.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 2

YMMV but I feel like if one cannot separate Noah from Kenny then it's best to just stop watching the show because everything the character does will be nitpicked and criticized because his portrayer was an asshole in an interview. Because Noah is obviously not going to stop playing Kenny and I for one don't want him to because I think he does an amazing job - asshole or not. 

Agreed - and I didn't even think he was that much of an asshole. He said some catty things about some other actors, but for heaven's sake, the guy's allowed to have an opinion. It's not like he shot anyone. I just think it made people realize that the actor isn't really "Kenny" - he's not a sweet little sixteen year old high school boy, he's a 20-something actor who has no doubt jumped through all the hoops in show biz.

I've never been able to stand Tim Allen, yet Galaxy Quest and The Santa Clause are two of my favorite films. So I'm able to set aside my personal opinion of an actor and enjoy a show or movie they're in. And Tim Allen served two years in prison for drug trafficking. Yet people are pissed off Noah Galvin said some bitchy things? Jeez. 

• Love 2

The whole rainbow-song-and-dance at the beginning was really funny. Noah can dance like that?

I don't get Noah's hysteria that he's never had a boyfriend. He's only in, what, eleventh grade? Not everyone has a boyfriend in high school.

I took it more as excitement than anything else. He feels nervous and inexperienced but also super-excited about it, and also insecure because he knows his beau HAS had boyfriends before.

Also, high schoolers often tend towards emotionality, in general.

• Love 3

No most of are pissed off that he practically outed a young actor. 

Are you referring to Colton Haynes? He commented on the actor's "non-confirmation" of his orientation, pointed out that wasn't really coming out, and called it "pu**y bullsh***." That's not "outing" anyone, that's just his opinion about Hayne's own comments about himself. There's a big difference, and while it was a bitchy thing to say he's entitled to his opinions. (And I kind of agree with him.) For the record, Haynes had openly admitted to having relations with other men. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2

He nudge-nudged wink-winked his way around an actor who had been a guest star early in the season.  He didn't actually come out and name him, and in fairness, a bunch of us (myself included) mentioned how much the actor pings when discussing a recent, high profile project he was involved in, but it was really easy to figure out who he meant.

I know it's hypocritical of me to tut-tut him for doing something I myself am guilty of, but I'm also not doing it with a platform that's broadcast to the ends of the internet.

I like the addition of Brett and Alison and hope they both stick around. Alison is good for keeping Kenny in check and he and Brett are cute. And shocker that they actually showed the kiss tonight. And not to stereotype but anyone else surprised that Kenny was not a Real Housewives fan? Although that actually made me like him. And of course Shannon would make Jimmy an Uber driver without him knowing. 

• Love 4

And not to stereotype but anyone else surprised that Kenny was not a Real Housewives fan? 

Not really. I've never seen a single episode of that show nor do I have any desire to.

I do think Alison is an excellent addition to this show and she should be included more. Loved her throwing water into Brett and his girl friend's faces. That was my biggest laugh of the episode.

Also? Slaw-sages? That actually  . . . sounds kind of good? I mean, cole slaw and sausage does kind of go together, y'know?

• Love 1

I like this show.  It's fun and entertaining.  Love the tiny garage!  I like that the parents called it quits before things got ugly, divorce is not a bad thing is my book if handled correctly.   I like the Uber driver of the love cab, is his name Jimmy.  He cracks me up in a clueless way.  Love how all the kids look out for their aunt and that whole scene was great.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Also? Slaw-sages? That actually  . . . sounds kind of good? I mean, cole slaw and sausage does kind of go together, y'know?

Totally OT:  My favorite hot dog at one of the local gourmet hot dog places is topped with yellow mustard, cole slaw, and chili.  It all goes together very well.

And now I'm hungry.

This was a fun episode.  I don't care so much about the vice principal, but the other two stories were great.  

The way Eileen kept knocking glasses off the table was cracking me up. That's such a passive-aggressive thing to do and so in character for her.

I watch four sitcoms on Tuesday night and I have to say The Real O'Neals is consistently smarter and funnier than any of the other ones. It's a shame it doesn't get better ratings considering how many truly awful sitcoms manage to stay on the air. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The way Eileen kept knocking glasses off the table was cracking me up.

Yes!

And then Pat trying it but the mug didn't break on the carpet.

I don't know why VP Murray couldn't have just told Pat and Eileen the same lie, but I guess there wouldn't have been a plot otherwise. I like the exes comfortable and relaxed interplay with each other, but the two of them scheming together was even better.

• Love 1
On 2/8/2017 at 1:57 AM, memememe76 said:

I love Alison. So much. So so much. Alison and Kenny are my otp. 

I think she grounds Kenny; he was downright likeable in their last scene.  I also think the Allison actress is making Noah go small when he usually goes big, and it's showing he actually is a good actor.  

• Love 1
On 2/8/2017 at 5:54 PM, Lord Donia said:

Eileen knocked the mug off VP Murray's desk; it didn't break. Pat knocked over a glass at the restaurant. 

I thought Kenny and Eileen's secret obsession from last season was one of the "Housewives" shows.

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:
On 2/8/2017 at 5:54 PM, Lord Donia said:

Eileen knocked the mug off VP Murray's desk; it didn't break. Pat knocked over a glass at the restaurant. 

Yes. And then Eileen asked him if it didn't feel good.

I thought Kenny and Eileen's secret obsession from last season was one of the "Housewives" shows.

Top Chef, I think, or possibly Chopped?  I recall a cooking show, although that might be the fantasy sequence from the Thanksgiving episode.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse

Pretty sure it was Project Runway or something else fashion based, it was another one of those "How did she not know Kenny was gay!?!?" moments that they did a lot of in Season 1.

Enjoyed it too but honestly, I always enjoy the show. I continue to be amused by Shannon's schemes and yeah, even if it was obvious where the whole Jimmy/Kenny storyline was going, it was still adorable. Probably because of like you said, the chemistry between the two actors. 

• Love 4

It was all in the line reading, but I cracked up when Jimmy mimicked Kenny's voice in his annual Comic Con turn down: "Do you even know me?"

I also loved Shannon telling her brothers they could, you know, always drink from the mini bar. Congrats to Jimmy for taking a single swig of whatever was in that prop bottle. It was probably iced tea or colored water, but it looked so gross.

Of course Eileen could sniff out even traces of peach schnapps! And Pat not wanting to ground Shannon because he felt bad that her friend moved away in the middle of the night? Aw. He and Jimmy are two peas in a sweet, subilluminated pod.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 4

OMG when Jimmy pulled out that jug of brown stuff I about died. How was it even that color?? All the liquors he named are clear. It wasn't even whiskey-brown, it looked like chocolate milk! So disgusting. 

This was a really good Jimmy episode. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

OMG when Jimmy pulled out that jug of brown stuff I about died. How was it even that color?? All the liquors he named are clear. It wasn't even whiskey-brown, it looked like chocolate milk! So disgusting. 

He was naming liquors, but there might have been mixed drinks as well. And who knows how long all that was sitting in the jug. Ew

14 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

And Pat not wanting to ground Shannon because he felt bad that her friend moved away in the middle of the night?

I'm not clear on why they would want to ground Kenny and Shannon.  At the worst, it looks like they brought their drunk brother safely home.  Why would they want to discourage them from doing that?

How was it even that color?? 

Yeah my guess is that he was pouring rum and cokes and things like that in the jug. I'm surprised it didn't eat through the jar - that looked vile. 

I have to say that I love the Jimmy/Kenny dynamic. It's nice to see 2 brothers who are in many ways opposites actually have affection for each other. Usually most sitcoms have teen siblings constantly fighting, which isn't a bad thing, but it's a nice change of pace here. I thought it was very sweet that Jimmy wanted to bond with Kenny.

And I love Eileen and Pat's (non-)relationship too. I feel the endgame is reconciliation for them, but part of me likes them apart and hopes it continues that way. And I realize I'm in the minority, but I like VP Murray and his thruple.

Finally, please give Shannon a real story. She always seems to be plopped into her own C plot and I feel the character is becoming one-note.

• Love 5

I agree we need a Shannon focused episode. She's so good and I loved the way she reacted to the bellhop who questioned her age. 

He was naming liquors, but there might have been mixed drinks as well.

He would have had to fill that jug with some kind of chocolate liqueur and/or Kahlua for it to be that color. Talk about nasty.