Type keyword(s) to search

The Real O'Neals - General Discussion

• Start Topic

For me this show is at it's best when Kenny and Jimmy are trying to navigate teen stuff together, as they tend to build off of each other and spiral in a funny way, sometimes with a side of Shannon as the cold bludgeon to their neurosis and anxiety.

Which I feel like the show has been doing less of in recent episodes.

• Love 3

I really liked "The Real Fit". I didn't care too much for the gym plot (although seeing Eileen jump onto that counter top was awesome!), but I liked the other plot about converting the basement.  Watching Pat's brother and sister-in-law dance around each other was pretty funny.

• Love 3

Who played Pat's brother? He seemed familiar. That "tiny house" was actually pretty damned impressive, and I can never watch that show on HGTV because it makes me feel claustrophobic. Although a two-car garage is actually about twice the size as most "tiny houses" featured on that show. 

Favorite part: Pat: "Spell joist." Jimmy: "G . . ." Pat: "No." Jimmy: "Dammit!"

2 things I noticed:

Analogies haven't been on the SATs since 2005

When Dwayne said that Pat would need a bigger bed, Pat said  "Listen, I don't mind living in small spaces. I shared a bedroom with Sean, Paul, Mark and Brendan for all those years and it wasn't so bad till I outgrew the drawer."  Later, when Pat was talking about the "Rock" game, he said "It's a game that he (Dwayne) and Sean and Paul and Mark and Brendan used to play, where they'd have me go and sit in my room and pretend to be a rock.  Then they'd do the same in their room . . . ."

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Did Shannon really want her aunt and uncle to have sex in her bed?

Shannon is preternaturally cunning, but my mind refused to budge past "she wanted them to talk out their differences." Also, Bebe looked so different without Shannon's glasses on!

I liked Jodi getting her own B-plot and the addition of Dwayne. I enjoy Kenny and his coming of (gay) age story, but the rest of the cast is so delightful that I don't mind the focus starting to shift more towards them and the family as a whole.

It's nice that Jimmy was shown to be competent at something.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, lordonia said:

Shannon is preternaturally cunning, but my mind refused to budge past "she wanted them to talk out their differences." Also, Bebe looked so different without Shannon's glasses on!

I liked Jodi getting her own B-plot and the addition of Dwayne. I enjoy Kenny and his coming of (gay) age story, but the rest of the cast is so delightful that I don't mind the focus starting to shift more towards them and the family as a whole.

It's nice that Jimmy was shown to be competent at something.

I think Shannon was surprised (and disgusted) that Jodi and Dwayne ended up making out. 

I liked Dwayne, but what kind of Irish Catholic name is "Dwayne"? (I should research before I post: Dwayne is Gaelic in origin and comes from the name Dubhan. According to Wikipedia: "St. Dubhan was a Welsh monk who established an abbey in Hook Head, Ireland, during the 5th century.")

I have to be honest: I liked Pat's and Jimmy's story, with Dwayne and Jodi, much better than Kenny and Eileen's. In fact, I'm starting to find the latter two to be unbearable and unlikable. I wish they had addressed that as a carpenter or other skilled tradesman, Jimmy could make quite a nice living, especially if he enjoyed the work. Mike Rowe says there's a shortage of skilled tradesmen in America today.

On 11/30/2016 at 11:34 AM, MaryMitch said:

I didn't care too much for the gym plot (although seeing Eileen jump onto that counter top was awesome!),

I don't think that was Martha Plimpton doing it, because of the camera angles they used. Or did you just mean the jumping on the counter itself?

I got a kick out of the Cross Fit instructor doing an iron cross on the rings as Eileen had her epiphany that she was substituting gym for church, although exactly how many Sunday Masses did she miss? Given her devout Catholicism I can't see it being more than one or two weeks.

• Love 3
On 11/30/2016 at 11:34 AM, MaryMitch said:

I really liked "The Real Fit". I didn't care too much for the gym plot (although seeing Eileen jump onto that counter top was awesome!)....

2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I don't think that was Martha Plimpton doing it, because of the camera angles they used. Or did you just mean the jumping on the counter itself?

Yeah, Eileen jumped on the counter, but I would be VERY surprised (and impressed) if that was Martha Plimpton!

• Love 1

I really enjoyed Jimmy, Pat, and the brother building Pat's tiny house, and Shannon with Jodi, but Kenny was extremely annoying and kinda ruined the crossfit plot.  

Im starting to wonder if the writers and producers are making Kenny awful on purpose as some sort of punishment of Galvin for that interview.

• Love 1
On 12/3/2016 at 4:03 PM, Tiger said:

I really enjoyed Jimmy, Pat, and the brother building Pat's tiny house, and Shannon with Jodi, but Kenny was extremely annoying and kinda ruined the crossfit plot.  

Im starting to wonder if the writers and producers are making Kenny awful on purpose as some sort of punishment of Galvin for that interview.

I wonder if they've come to realize Kenny being gay isn't enough to carry a sitcom -- especially because Kenny is really annoying -- and they have such a talented cast in the other family members.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I wonder if they've come to realize Kenny being gay isn't enough to carry a sitcom -- especially because Kenny is really annoying -- and they have such a talented cast in the other family members.

I never thought Kenny's being gay was the only thing carrying the show. Yes, he was the narrator and so a lot of story centered around him but last season had the parents' separation, the mom and the Principal's relationship, which was awful and I hate that that's continued, Shannon and whatever was going on with her, Jimmy's issues, etc. The episodes always had more than one thing going on but yes, Kenny's coming out was a heavy focus. Now they've had time to get used to it, it's not as weighty an issue even if it's still there. 

• Love 1
On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Tiger said:

I have a huge problem with the portrayl of every guy that likes banging dudes is into drag and being a snippy female-stereotype bitch.

Truth be told, most kisses aren't the breathless, curled toes experiences shown in romantic movies, not even the first one. But I would have expected Kenny to at least acknowledge that he liked it. Well, you do sometimes have to kiss a number of frogs before you meet your Prince Charming. And practice makes perfect.

What a thoroughly endearing, loving family. Can't wait for Season Two.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 1:57 AM, possibilities said:

I was one of the few who wasn't all that upset by the famous interview, but I do find myself hating Kenny/Noah this season on the show. I do think something has shifted, but I'm not sure whether it's the writing or... what.

Since coming out it seems like Kenny is more comfortable acting however he feels like in each moment, instead of perhaps stifling his desires the way he did when closeted. I like that he's able to celebrate his various hobbies and romantic yearnings, but I agree he is different this season.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

I can see what they were going for, but I'm not sure if it makes sense for the entire team to default and give the visiting team an unearned win rather than doing their best to defeat the visiting team and then trying to get the kid who wouldn't wrestle Kenny barred from future meets. Next, if Kenny was ok with it, Shannon could be in charge of alerting the media to what had happened, in an attempt to shame the entire visiting team and their coach, who were likely aware of what was going on, and therefore complicit in the individual wrestler's prejudice.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

I love Shannon and the Mat Mates.  I really liked them playing with the stereotypes, and I kind of hope they come back.

"I'm hanging up my singlet until my first gay cruise."  I'm glad they acknowledged that.

• Love 8

I can see what they were going for, but I'm not sure if it makes sense for the entire team to default and give the visiting team an unearned win rather than doing their best to defeat the visiting team and then trying to get the kid who wouldn't wrestle Kenny barred from future meets. 

I didn't get it either. They basically rewarded the visiting team with a win for their poor sportsmanship. And I'm realistic enough to acknowledge that these are supposed to be Catholic schools and it's probably within the wrestlers' rights to refuse a match based on religious objections and there's probably nothing they can do about the kid who refused to wrestle with Kenny. But to turn around and just let that team win? Makes no sense.

What would have worked better is if every single wrestler on Kenny's team at that point went to the mat and told their opponent they were also gay, making the entire visiting team forfeit each match-up. It would have shown the same message of solidarity without costing the home team the win.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

What would have worked better is if every single wrestler on Kenny's team at that point went to the mat and told their opponent they were also gay, making the entire visiting team forfeit each match-up. It would have shown the same message of solidarity without costing the home team the win.

Get thee to the writer's room.

Noah certainly filled out that singlet like an unathletic, gangly teen. Yay for Method bodies.

• Love 1

I think the wrestlers on the other team would have seen through the other wrestlers claiming to be gay, especially since all the talk was about how Kenny was the first gay athlete at the school.

Also, even if it worked, do you want a win on your record because you pretended to be gay to benefit from homophobia? And, in the bigger picture, a bunch of straight guys claiming to be gay to get easy wins, even if a well intentioned effort to teach some bigots a lesson, could be interpreted differently once the story got out.

IMO Jimmy giving up a chance at an undefeated season and the rest of the team walking out in a show of unity is a stronger message, and much less open to being interpreted as a self serving or exploitative act.

• Love 6

I was surprised that the onesie or whatever it's called that Kenny was wearing was so explicitly form fitting. Why was Jimmy wearing pants but Kenny had his, um, family jewels sticking out? Yuck.

and  Eileen asked the quesiton we've all been asking... "Why am I into him"? LOL

23 minutes ago, Big Mother said:

I was surprised that the onesie or whatever it's called that Kenny was wearing was so explicitly form fitting. Why was Jimmy wearing pants but Kenny had his, um, family jewels sticking out? Yuck.

Wrestlers usually wear pants over their singlets when they're not actually on the mat.  Since we saw Kenny wrestle but didn't actually see Jimmy do it, IIRC, that wasn't that weird.

• Love 4

Refreshing:  Brett, a gay teen character who isn't a stereotype. Most veteran actors of all ages have stage experience with singing and dancing. Once they get into TV, they don't often get to exhibit that talent. I hope this show continues to mix music in with the plots, including occasional over-the-top production numbers. If that was Noah's voice, he does have pipes behind the falsetto.

Inseminate, infiltrate. I hope Jimmy does eventually get them straight. LOL.

• Love 3

I wish everyone would stop cribbing from Hamilton.  It was brilliant once.

Still very enjoyable episode.  Jodi and Allison were delightful together.  And they know that Pat and Shannon together are gold.

I only wish they'd gotten Anna Camp to play Protestant Eileen, because they clearly wanted her.

I only wish they'd gotten Anna Camp to play Protestant Eileen, because they clearly wanted her.

I don't know the actress's name that they did hire for that part but there was something odd about her head. It looked too big for her body.

The best part of this episode was the tag with Jimmy seeing Santa. 

And yeah - it was kind of nice that they addressed how Kenny keeps announcing to everyone who will listen about his orientation. And that he talks about his mom a lot.

• Love 1

And yeah - it was kind of nice that they addressed how Kenny keeps announcing to everyone who will listen about his orientation. 

The repeated line a few shows ago, "It's not always about you being gay, Kenny." Even the priest said it.

Still loving Kenny's family, but getting a little cool on him. Maybe if he were more naive and I'd like him more. I really enjoyed earlier when his father and siblings were "helping" him be gay. 

• Love 2

YMMV but this kind of feels like the writers can't win. Some complain about the show being too much about Kenny being gay but then there's a complaint that he's not naive enough anymore and should still be learning how to be gay?

I think Kenny is still very much figuring himself out like any teenager but his being gay is no longer at the forefront now that everyone knows (literally with all his blurting out about it). He had other things in his life before he came out and those still exist now that he's come out. 

• Love 2

Jimmy's kind of the leftover kid, isn't he? Eileen has her special bond with Kenny and Pat dotes on Shannon.

A loud guffaw escaped me with the line about the Unitarian Universalist choir winning and that Kenny forgot about the gays. (Maybe only because that's the church I go to.)

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I wish the show would ship Kenny off somewhere and the family would take in Brett for reasons. 

Because of Noah Galvins whiney voice and kenny's horrible personality?  Oh sorry those are MY reasons for wanting Kenny to be shipped off.

• Love 3

This area just got Antenna TV and they air Evening Shade. I remember my Nana watched that show and watching episodes with her when I was younger. I always remembered the actors who portrayed adult characters on the show but didn't really remember the kids. I bring all of that up because I had no idea Jay Ferguson (Pat) was also the oldest son on Evening Shade until I started watching it again.

Edited by Jaded
On 12/15/2016 at 1:16 PM, Tiger said:

I wish the show would ship Kenny off somewhere and the family would take in Brett for reasons. 

On 12/15/2016 at 3:07 PM, Aliconehead said:

Because of Noah Galvin's whiny voice and Kenny's horrible personality?  Oh sorry those are MY reasons for wanting Kenny to be shipped off.

Yes, exactly, but I do have to say -- he has a beautiful voice. The choir's number at the contest made my cry. However, up until that point, Ken was a bitch with a capital "C." I groaned when Brett said he was crushing on Kenny. Dude, you could do so much better than that self-absorbed whiner.

• Love 2

Awwww. I must be one of the few who like Kenny. He's a hilarious mix of nice and self-absorbed (just like any teenager I've ever encountered.) Although I agree his character was better last season.  Also, he no longer looks like a teenager like he did last season. It's a bit distracting.

• Love 1

I like Kenny just fine too. It's a comedy, so a slightly self absorbed and snarky teenager is a hardly a big sin to me. I do think all of the off camera drama with that interview Noah did turned some people off regarding the character. I think with social media and all, it's harder sometimes for people to separate an actor from their character. 

• Love 3

More smooth Brett, less giddy Kenny -- or more Kenny fantasies. Too bad the Brett character is in a short arc. Jimmy sure has matured as a character, talking like an adult with dad, no naiveté. Somehow I wasn't surprised that the guys both thought couples massaged each other! So funny. Lab frogs running loose -- shades of "E.T." 

Edited by Bobbin
Fixed typo.
  • Love 1

I need the show to show me WHY Brett is even giving Kenny the time of day. 

He just did. He said he'd always been attracted to "bad boys" and they were usually jerks so he's looking for a nice guy now, one that follows all the rules and gets awards for attendance like Kenny. Plus - I know it's a matter of taste - but Kenny's not bad looking 

It seems like the audience really soured on Noah Galvin after that Vulture interview came out and now nobody likes Kenny but I don't care if the actor is a bitchy queen in real life, I still like Kenny and I still like the show. My one complaint is that I wish they'd give Shannon more to do.

I thought it was hilarious Brett caught Kenny with a white strip, acne strip and curler in his hair. And that Kenny wouldn't take the rap for Shannon when he found out it meant 2 days suspension. "No, yeah, it was Shannon. She went that way."

• Love 12
20 hours ago, lordonia said:

Cute episode. Something just tickles me about Eileen being all hot for VP Murray.

Twas many a maid fairly wooed at the Courtyard by Marriott at the airport.

• Love 3