Type keyword(s) to search

2016 Tryouts and Training Camp Spoilers and Spoiled Speculations

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

I've thought about it, but one of the things that held me back (besides my weight) was the lack of dance experience.  I haven't really spent much time in dance classes so I didn't really go much further with it.  At 5' 8"+, I don't have to worry about the height (or the long legs since I have both), but I think Kelli and Judy would have an issue since my body shape (when it's not round) as they would probably think my butt is too big for the uniform and I'd probably end up either on weight probation or with multiple weight warnings throughout the season.  Still, I would love to try one day and see how far I got.

• Love 1

There's really no rookies that I think stand out as being one-hit wonders. I would love for Amy L to make it back, she seems like a fun girl from her Instagram posts. I used to think that Amy T shouldn't make it back because of her weight/body shape, but dang she looks good in the swimsuit photos. Either she's lost the weight or she's really good at hiding it

I'm too old now (somewhere in-between a "she's living in the past" and a "I got to admire them for getting out there and giving it a shot" comment from Charlotte ;) - haha!) - but back in my prime probably the biggest thing that would have held me back would be picking up dances. Once I know them I'm good, but I'm not that quick (never was), and you really need to be to be a professional dancer. I would have had to work at being tone cause I am genetically predisposed to cellulite (but when I do a lot of squats I'm good), but my legs are long and very flexible - I can still kick well and do a split (which after having kids is pretty impressive). Would have had to work on my jump split in TC - but I think I would have got it provided I didn't get cut for not picking up the dances by then. Lol!!!

Kelli would make me a red head ;).

• Love 1

Since the topic of trying out has come up and dance experience, I thought of a question I'd like to ask.  There are a few shows on TV dedicated to dancing.  I guess the most popular is Dance Moms.  I will confess I record it to watch the girls dance.  It has been fun watching McKenzie grow up and actually begin maturing into a dancer from such a young age.  I record it so I can fast forward through the Moms and the drama (most likely faked to make the show more popular).

Is this the type of dance experience needed to try out for DCC?  I think I am asking if this is the type of dance studio a girl dances in all her young life and then tries out for DCC?  And are dance teachers really that mean to students?

• Love 1

I think it is - w/ the one exception being that studios like that rarely teach pom or cheer type of dance. You usually get that from a high school or college drill team type of team, and some of those types of teams even do kicklines. Combing the two would probably be ideal (drill team and studio dancing), but I would bet the majority of the girls that we consider the better dancers on the DCC (Melissa, Jenn K., Lacey, Megan C., Rookie Holly) all trained intensely at studios similar to fhe Dance Moms studio. And no - the teachers are not all that mean ;).

• Love 1

I think it is - w/ the one exception being that studios like that rarely teach pom or cheer type of dance. You usually get that from a high school or college drill team type of team, and some of those types of teams even do kicklines. Combing the two would probably be ideal (drill team and studio dancing), but I would bet the majority of the girls that we consider the better dancers on the DCC (Melissa, Jenn K., Lacey, Megan C., Rookie Holly) all trained intensely at studios similar to fhe Dance Moms studio. And no - the teachers are not all that mean ;).

This. Im going to split off from recreational dance (cute kids In costumes that skim the surface one a week and have a cute recital) and talk about more advanced and competitive dance:

Good classes a will focus on technique - proper placement, form, movement, memory etc. and then choreograph on that. Lots of ballet, jazz, usually some basic tap, lyrical, then throw in some acro and hip hop for fun. When the basics are down you get to specialize a little more.

DCC field style is most similar to Pom/drill (sharp movements, synchronization, kicks). when I was a kid, you picked up that Pom style at middle school age. Our dance team was a smaller school and a mix of basic dancers and some girls with no dance who picked up quickly, some who had cheered. Not sure if Texas focuses more specifically on drill experience at that level. Most places now offer Just pin or hip hop - kind of how lots of gyms have just cheer tumbling instead of full on gymnastics. In college, it was more dance training and kickline for football, usually with the band at halftime, but basketball was more hip hopish.

DCC does rely more and more on traditional dance technique and not just cheer or pom. Melissa, holly, Erica - some of the 'wow' dancers definitely look like they're doing competitive 'Dance Moms' routines in their solos. You can just tell they're doing the point racking moves and combos. Not saying that's bad or they're not good dancers, because they obviously are talented, but their solos scream 'competitive dance circuit.'

No - all children's teachers aren't as mean as Abby in normal dance classes, but when you start getting competitive, the dance moms and sometimes the mean teachers increase. Pro schools and adult classes - Kelli, Judy, Abby, kitty = all very mild. Adult casting = don't even try to take anything personally or to get positive criticism. You're a commodity. You're a means to an end and if you don't look or perform correctly, they won't waste time on you while looking for someone who will.

Back to dance moms DCC crossover - I always suspected Kendall from dance moms would be the one who crossed over into pro cheerleading/dance.

My high school had both cheerleading and a pom team. I tried out for cheerleading but didn't make it. I was always tempted to try out for pom but I really think you need more dance background for it. I think the girls who have the easiest time with the choreography are those who have probably danced, cheered, and done pom. That's why I think Madeline had a hard time. She really just danced.

I really liked watching her dance except for her facials.  Those were really distracting and I noticed that, in some of the pictures of her dancing with the Sooners, that she wasn't the only one making them.   I think that, if she doesn't tone those down a bit, Judy and Kelli will be getting after her for those.

Don't be too sure about Caila. The DCC Instagram posted another pick of her today in a group shot. She's wearing a green bikini and looks great. Sometimes I think the angles can just be off.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BER-8BBQWF4/?taken-by=dccheerleaders

She still looks a bit soft to me in her tummy, arms, and legs. You can even see a slight weight gain in her face. I'm not saying she looks bad. She is gorgeous and I would kill for that figure. But it's just obvious if you compare that pic to the pic someone posted from her rookie year audition. Of course she was 18 then, so a slight filling out is kind of expected, but DCC hasn't exactly been known for being sympathetic about that sort of thing.

Danielle looks really soft!

https://instagram.com/p/BER13RKKT30/

Danielle looks the same to me as she always has honestly. She's always had a softer middle with less ab definition than some of the other girls, but she's still gorgeous and looks good in a swimsuit. She's gotten by that way for four years so I don't really forsee it being a problem at auditions.

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 3

That shot of Caila above makes me think she looks like a bodybuilder without the muscles...if that makes sense haha. Thick upper body and legs but relatively slim middle. She looks so different from when she started. I've always thought Danielle looked soft- even in last year's squad photo.

• Love 1

I think Caila looks big in that shot above - actually even bigger than the other 2 shots from yesterday (or was it the day before yesterday?) that initially made me think she was thicker. I thought she looked great in the suit fitting pic they posted, so I'm wondering what the heck happened in the past few weeks (unless the angles were favorable in the fitting pic where I didn't notice her being bigger). I don't know, but I think she's gonna be in trouble, I really do :/. Her dancing has improved so much, so maybe that will save her - I guess we'll see.

I think Danielle looks soft and slightly thicker in all of the photos shown from the shoot too. She was much more fit/thin last year at finals IMO. From these recent pics she looks similar to how she did that year she was injured and was almost cut IMO. Don't think they'd cut her after all this time, how much they love her, etc., but who knows.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 1

It could also be for Caila that she is 19-20 years old and has begun to fill out as a woman. Happens to all of us at some point, regardless of our diet and exercise. She certainly looks "softer" than before but I honestly think she has finally grown into her looks- she's so long legged and tall she actually has some curves! Of course I say this as I'm in my sweats on my couch drinking wine....judge away. :)

• Love 1

Based on Caila's swimsuit photos, I would imagine she's going to get cut at finals.  :-(

Unless she gets it together by finals..

Danielle looks really soft!

https://instagram.com/p/BER13RKKT30/

She always looks "softer" than the rest, but I guess that's her body type and they don't really have an issue with it..

It could also be for Caila that she is 19-20 years old and has begun to fill out as a woman. Happens to all of us at some point, regardless of our diet and exercise. She certainly looks "softer" than before but I honestly think she has finally grown into her looks- she's so long legged and tall she actually has some curves! Of course I say this as I'm in my sweats on my couch drinking wine....judge away. :)

Good point. But good points like that usually fall flat on K&J..they're supposed to STAY THE SAME AS THEY DID WHEN THEY ORIGINALLY AUDITIONED. Which, is unrealistic. Especially for a young girl becoming a woman. It CAN be done, but..nah.

• Love 1

I never thought about it, but the swimsuit shoot is probably very helpful to Kelli and Judy given how close it is to finals.  They can now go into finals already knowing who is looking soft and just see what the other judges think.  With less than a month to finals, anyone looking soft is going to have to seriously bust ass once they get home if they hope to look better in so short a time span.

Danielle looks fine:  https://www.instagram.com/p/BESNujjRPlD/?taken-by=danielle.marie12

I never thought about it, but the swimsuit shoot is probably very helpful to Kelli and Judy given how close it is to finals. They can now go into finals already knowing who is looking soft and just see what the other judges think. With less than a month to finals, anyone looking soft is going to have to seriously bust ass once they get home if they hope to look better in so short a time span.

Danielle looks fine: https://www.instagram.com/p/BESNujjRPlD/?taken-by=danielle.marie12

That's very true about the timing of the swimsuit shoot - hard to hide any weight gain while being photographed in a bathing suit! I wonder if K&J warn girls that they think look soft now so that they know they need to fix it for finals?

Calia looks terrible. She looks big.

I agree.  I understand the whole "filling out" and "becoming more womanly" thing, but even in that picture with her sucking it in you can see a lower tummy pooch.  When I gain weight, that's the first place it goes, and it's just so darn noticeable, so I do sympathize.  I think the biggest problem is that they're going from a lifestyle of several hours at practice along with several hours a week at the gym (not to mention the games) to one that is still very active but not quite as much, so if they're eating the same with less activity, of course weight gain will be a result.  I'm sure she'll end up being able to lose it relatively quickly and she'll be fine.

I do not understand the swimsuits either. I know they want to go for the sexy next door neighbor girl look, but the majority of the swimsuits do not look good on the girls. I can see why the Sideline Calendars sell better than the Swimsuit Calendars.

I agree with you assessment of Danielle, Moxiejan. I adore her look. She's such a throwback to my first exposure to the DCC was when they were on The Love Boat (I'm dating myself). Her hair and face and body have such an early 80s look to her. That fresh, all-American girl look.

• Love 1

They have so many bikinis that half the girls butt is out. I don't understand why that is in, but I guess it's probably for the male fans.

I wonder if she will try for DCC after all.

Maybe ... but she should probably figure out a DCC appropriate answer to her bf in jail thing

Whoa, I gasped. I agree, she's in trouble.

Yeah .. it's tough because she looks so much bigger than the other girls.  sigh - shame.  Erica is beautiful btw

Maybe ... but she should probably figure out a DCC appropriate answer to her bf in jail thing

Hmmm...what would be a DCC appropriate answer?

...He's undercover. It's a 21 Jumpstreet thing.

...That's actually his identical twin brother.

...The conviction is a clerical error. They're going to let him out any minute now.

...He wasn't convinced of anything. He's in there on a voluntary basis to spread the Word about Jesus.

• Love 2

Maybe ... but she should probably figure out a DCC appropriate answer to her bf in jail thing

Would they ever reject someone's application outright? (I'm not saying in this specific case because who even knows if they care about your boyfriend.) I doubt they do full background checks on eeeeverybody auditioning, but if they knew someone was planning on auditioning and something very obviously would keep them off the squad, would they just say "don't bother"?

I would think they probably do background checks on the girls that come highly recommended from other dance squads.

Would they ever reject someone's application outright?

I bet they wouldn't. They'd let anyone go through the audition process and then cut them.

I would think they probably do background checks on the girls that come highly recommended from other dance squads.

But I wonder how extensive that check is. We know they look at the applicant's social media account. But do they look at their friends' accounts? How deep do they dig? Gaebri could probably fly under the radar with her issue. If she does audition for DCC, I hope she mentions her situation, because if they put her on the team and found out about it afterward, Kelli and Charlotte would be so angry.