Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: The Kindness Of Strangers

• Start Topic

I'm actually impressed with Samantha in this episode. Compare how she immediately gets the expulsion rescinded to Felice "I've used all my influence with the board," Martin's total failure to get Donna's suspension revoked later this season.

Also, how is it possible that Steve was expelled without a call to his mother? I feel like that's not really a step a school could take without parental involvement.

• Love 3

Question: was Grandpa Walsh, who we previously understood to be a short, pinko, activist from the Save the Peach Pit episode, also a marine who fell out with his son for opposing the Vietnam War? Or are we talking about two different grandfathers? How many dads did Jim have and ultimately disappoint?

• Love 4

Samantha Sanders wins the episode for me:  "Don't even talk to me."  

She and Mrs. Teasley are comedy gold.

For the rest of the episode meh.  We got another "bimbo" usage, we got more of Brandon/Jim issues.  And then the love of Thanksgiving wins out and peace is restored; Steve gets laid, Dylan bonds with his Dad, and Brenda/Brandon/Donna/Kelly/Andrea  bond with the homeless guy and we never saw him again.

I think the actor who plays Jack must be from a Texas/Oklahoma/Wyoming region.  It's not quite a southern accent, but there is definitely a I grew up on a farm "where the wind comes sweeping on the range" tinge to his voice.  But watch me be wrong; he was brought up in Switzerland and went to the finest schools.

Can't wait to hear you guys read how Shannon got on (or not) with Jennie and Luke.

• Love 2

I'm think the actor who plays Jack must be from a Texas/Oklahoma/Wyoming region.  It's not quite a southern accent, but there is definitely a I grew up on a farm "where the wind comes sweeping on the range" tinge to his voice.  But watch me be wrong; he was brought up in Switzerland and went to the finest schools.

Heh. I looked him up and he's from Illinois. Also, he has a law degree and his birth name is Tommy Tim Taylor.

• Love 4

That moment when Dylan shows up and kisses both girls - ugh, I really want to kick him. But mostly, I would like to kick Brandon for being so bransplainy to a homeless person. I really like Samatha Sanders though. For all her faults she just seems to be a mother who is in her kid's corner even when he's an idiot (and her kid is after all Steve, who is being idiotic a lot). I must confess tjat although my teen self never had any time for Steve, almost 40 year old me finds his stupid ways quite charming and funny.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I really like Samatha Sanders though. For all her faults she just seems to be a mother who is in her kid's corner even when he's an idiot (and her kid is after all Steve, who is being idiotic a lot). I must confess tjat although my teen self never had any time for Steve, almost 40 year old me finds his stupid ways quite charming and funny.

I agree. He does look 35 but I feel like Steve is written as the most realistic teenager - generally well-intentioned, just too short-sighted to understand consequences. His excitement with Brandon over the Production Assistant while all this much more important (to everyone else) stuff is going on around him is very seventeen, unlike Dylan's high drama or Brandon's brayitude. Plus he's the only one of the cast who's allowed to be funny. Not "funny" like Donna, but actually amusing in a realistic way. 

Ugh. I forgot about Brandon's gambling addiction. 

• Love 3

Seriously do the writers just hate Brian? Dude does nothing except complain about the TV going out. At leas we know his character like sports, kind of.

lol love how Andrea doesn't get a seat at all.

Not gonna lie but I've had those conversations when watching sport. Basically "How much is a lot."  I know how you feel Walsh except I didn't lose a lot of money but I know how you feel B-man. 

Them pants and that PA girl is way too keen. 

Next episode is going to be the worst.....

You can tell how very old this is from the fact that it features a has-been and her kid having a scandalous conversation on camera and the reality TV director gets mad because he can't use it.

I had the same thought - Alyssa is my pick for MVP of the week for basically inventing the genre and changing TV forever! (Wait, or is that LVP? Eh, I love reality, MVP it is!)

Question: was Grandpa Walsh, who we previously understood to be a short, pinko, activist from the Save the Peach Pit episode, also a marine who fell out with his son for opposing the Vietnam War? Or are we talking about two different grandfathers? How many dads did Jim have and ultimately disappoint?

Unless Jim has two dads at various points in his life, yes, they are one in the same! That also stuck in my craw when he said that. And I just finished a Season 4 ep where this infamous grandpa attends Jim and Cindy's 20th wedding anniversary, so the whole "and I never saw him again" spin that Jim puts on this story ALSO rings false. (Again, unless his mom re-married to a pinko hippie.)

• Love 1

Does anyone else really want Brenda's huge Koosh ball she's carrying in that last shot? I used to love those things!

And boy howdy do I hate how Dylan, fucking Dylan, just cheerfully kisses them both. Like okay, a little levity is much appreciated from him and particularly regarding the triangle of despair--I'm particularly looking forward to their double date with the 15 year old dweebs--but he's just such an asshat.

• Love 1
Seriously do the writers just hate Brian? Dude does nothing except complain about the TV going out. At least we know his character like sports, kind of.

I feel like the character just is not that interesting.  He's only part of the "gang" because of Donna, and they aren't yet to the point where they did a better job of integrating him into the group. 

I'm kind of now wishing for a Samantha Sanders/Mrs. Teasley spin-off where they go around in giant shoulder pads, looking disgusted with various people and solving mysteries.  It could be called "Mrs. T & Sam." 

• Love 4

Heh. I looked him up and he's from Illinois. Also, he has a law degree and his birth name is Tommy Tim Taylor.

So true story. When this episode and the first episode with Homless Vet Hero originally aired I somehow decided in my head that he was one of the Estvez Sheen kids. I knew that Martin Sheen had a bunch of kids that were all around the same age and that other than Charlie and Emilio, none of them were famous, but they all had at least a few acting credits. I thought the actor looked and sounded like Martin Sheen and I decided (based only on what I stated above) that he must be one of the lesser known Estevez-Sheens.

Anyway, moving along. Jack's character arch is really weird. He's legitimately kind of a jerk to Dylan, offering his teenage son with a drinking problem scotch and using his house as a pussy palace. And then at the end we're supposed to decide that Jack's really great based on...stuff? The writers never did get a firm handle on Dylan's backstory and family dynamic. It changed from sub-plot to sub-plot.

• Love 5

So true story. When this episode and the first episode with Homless Vet Hero originally aired I somehow decided in my head that he was one of the Estvez Sheen kids. I knew that Martin Sheen had a bunch of kids that were all around the same age and that other than Charlie and Emilio, none of them were famous, but they all had at least a few acting credits. I thought the actor looked and sounded like Martin Sheen and I decided (based only on what I stated above) that he must be one of the lesser known Estevez-Sheens.

Anyway, moving along. Jack's character arch is really weird. He's legitimately kind of a jerk to Dylan, offering his teenage son with a drinking problem scotch and using his house as a pussy palace. And then at the end we're supposed to decide that Jack's really great based on...stuff? The writers never did get a firm handle on Dylan's backstory and family dynamic. It changed from sub-plot to sub-plot.

Yeah, this always bothered me too.  Jack was an ass to Dylan and that's largely why Dylan treated him the way he did in this episode.  It's not like Jack was making a real effort.  As stated, he wanted to drink and bang his girlfriend.  He doesn't seem to grasp why Dylan is upset and thinks Dylan is being the difficult one.  Then he gets pissy and flings the newspaper in Dylan's face.  Dylan is supposed to love him why?

Interesting fact, we don't get a good look at him in Season 1 but Jack is played by an actor named Terence Ford in his initial appearance.  Terence is the brother of Harrison Ford.

Homeless Vet Hero definitely looks like an Estevez, I completely agree.

• Love 1

I really wish we got more of the Samantha Sanders/Mrs. Teasley double act. I know they both keep coming back for entirely arbitrary reasons (why exactly was Mrs. Teasley at Donna's hen's night, except for "the show needed more women to hide how small the cast is"?), but I think this was the only scene they shared with each other. :(

Does anyone else really want Brenda's huge Koosh ball she's carrying in that last shot? I used to love those things!

And boy howdy do I hate how Dylan, fucking Dylan, just cheerfully kisses them both. Like okay, a little levity is much appreciated from him and particularly regarding the triangle of despair--I'm particularly looking forward to their double date with the 15 year old dweebs--but he's just such an asshat.

I will go on record as stating that I thought Dylan was a jerk even when I was 14, but now? Mother of fuck, he's such an asshole to everyone. The way he plays Brenda and Kelly is really gross. I'm starting to have much more respect for my mom's position of banning this show not because it's was so salacious, but because everyone was such a horrible person and she didn't want us growing up thinking being a narcissistic drama queen was a good thing. Edited by FozzyBear
  • Love 3

We open the McKay storyline on a prison! From the '50s! That might be an oil painting! Very authentic.

With the rain, I was expecting Sideshow Bob to appear as well.

Alexis Carrington storms West Beverly High

Nothing says early-90s Powerful Woman! like leftover 80s shoulder pads.

Donna, there was zero reason you couldn't have asked David to take you home to change clothes

Was there zero reason she couldn't have asked HIM to go home and change that fug sweater of his?

there are no winners in a Dad Glare-Off.

Did Tanner have a son? He and Brandon could have had a Bray-Off.

More likely to be Cowboys/Lions from Thanksgiving of '92 (when the ep is set): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_Thanksgiving_Day#1970.E2.80.932005

I thought about that but the uniforms of the other team doesn't match up with the Lions. If the episode was put out by the 25th, that means the filming had to be done a lot earlier. The other team's uniforms were maroon which means either 49ers or Washington but then the helmets suggest Washington and through the use of a reference of the 1991 and 1992 season. This was the closest thing I can come up with.

The footage states that Washington player is 74 and if Dallas has Emmett Smith running with the ball then it has to be a defensive player. Judging by the Washington Roster in 1992 and 1991 it has to be Markus Koch.

So yeah that's the conclusion and reasoning behind the game Cowboys v. Redskins 1991 September 9th. 

When it comes to sports, I go in deep with stats and stuff. 

On 2/16/2016 at 1:30 PM, txhorns79 said:

I feel like the character just is not that interesting.  He's only part of the "gang" because of Donna, and they aren't yet to the point where they did a better job of integrating him into the group. 

I have neeeehhhhver been a fan of David, although he gets a bit better with time. His appearances in Seasons 1-2 are so incredibly grating. I especially despise how his creeper-ness (spying on the slumber party, talking about how he's going to photograph the girls undressing during the fashion show) is just played off. Do. Not. Like.

On 2/16/2016 at 3:40 PM, FozzyBear said:

He is absolutely a long-lost Estevez child. I thought that the minute I saw him. Shannon needs to confer with Renee Estevez (she was in Heathers) to confirm.

On 2/16/2016 at 7:13 PM, marceline said:

I felt for Christine. She shows up for dinner and some nookie and instead ends up in the middle of the McKay family drama.

It took me an imdb search to figure out how I'd remembered Christine--she is the awesome gun range receptionist in Beverly Hills Cop II who has the scene with Eddie Murphy with the vitamins and she gives him cash to get the so-called explosive package off her desk. I love that scene! She's a decent actress, does a lot with what she's given.

Dylan is so gross, breezing up at the end of the episode to kiss each girl blithely. UGH.