Type keyword(s) to search

My Lottery Dream Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Twiz44 said:

DVR recording a “new” episode right now. Showing as “Episode 1”. I’ve seen this one before.

I was afraid of that.   Guess I'll remove the season pass since they keep playing games with the episode numbers.   Then they'll be sorry (ha ha!). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

There was an actual new international episode on tonight. They were in Birmingham, England and he won the money on a TV game show. He should spend some of it on a good barber. I kept wanting to smooth down that bit of hair in back. The Brits certainly aren't obsessed with bathrooms the way we are. 350k gets you only 1 bathroom. The house they chose was lovely.

• Love 1

Yes, that Birmingham house was lovely, and I really liked the couple.     I like the international (U.K.) episodes.      I really like getting to see different homes, and living situations.   I really liked the second and third house, but think the house they chose was the greatest location, and price. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, that Birmingham house was lovely, and I really liked the couple.     I like the international (U.K.) episodes.      I really like getting to see different homes, and living situations.   I really liked the second and third house, but think the house they chose was the greatest location, and price. 

The sunroom really sold me. I love all the purple suits whatshisname wears.

• Love 3
On 1/3/2021 at 12:04 AM, sue450 said:

did anyone notice they have expanded  who  can be on the show?? a lady was on and she inherited $900.000.00 from a distant relative

I was clicking through the channels this weekend and swore the featured couple hadn't even won the lottery but instead had received a "settlement" of some kind?  Wow.....isn't that spreading the criteria of the show a bit thin? 

Either stick to the premise or change the title.  And while they're at it, change the host too.  I miss the old David and have difficulty digesting this new incarnation.     

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

I miss the old David and have difficulty digesting this new incarnation.     

I miss the old David too.

Looking at what he's done to his body with tattoos is sad and distracting, especially those tigers running up his neck. What was he thinking? 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

I was clicking through the channels this weekend and swore the featured couple hadn't even won the lottery but instead had received a "settlement" of some kind?  Wow.....isn't that spreading the criteria of the show a bit thin? 

Either stick to the premise or change the title.  And while they're at it, change the host too.  I miss the old David and have difficulty digesting this new incarnation.     

I think there are a couple of shows with settlements and at least one with an inheritance.

• Love 1

Yes, the Georgia mountain show recently was a surprise inheritance from a great uncle.   The Virginia Beach man had a big settlement from something that happened to him.   The Virginia Beach couple were on a follow up episode.   

The Birmingham England man last Friday, won 500,000 Euros (or whatever it is) on the U.K. edition of Who Wants to be a Millionaire.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Kenzie said:

I miss the old David too.

Looking at what he's done to his body with tattoos is sad and distracting, especially those tigers running up his neck. What was he thinking? 

I know I've posted a lot about this but it's one of those things that's never any less shocking when I watch reruns of this show.  I was multitasking at the computer with  this in the background the other day when they had several episodes back to back from different years and it was like watching a person slowly spiraling down.  My husband and I can date the episodes based on how many tattoos he has plus how much worse he looks in general.  It's not even just the tattoos but how much less healthy he looks now and how OTT he acts.  You can't even blame the change on aging because it happened in only a few years and he's not that old to have aged so much in so little time.  I've heard rumors of drugs, sadly.

• Love 5

I was watching a bunch of episodes back to back.  However, once the couple said their budget was $200,000 from a million dollar win I was out.  I know that we comment on how the budgets are often lower than the budgets on House Hunters, but this one was ridiculously low.  Yes, I understand that many lottery winners have a lot of debt that they need to pay before buying a house, but, like a poster above, maybe they just need to change the title and focus of this show if they end up with such low budgets.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Even with the lower budget house hunts (I know they already own the house), I still like seeing what's available in different places, and meeting the lottery, or settlement, or inheritance person, and getting to know them.     I've been watching since the beginning, and I've only watched one episode that I didn't like the people, and in that case it was obvious that only one person in the family even wanted to be on TV.  

• Love 4

there is a show called  "I won the lotto"  some of these people win big and buy mansions for those interested.....they show the flip side with some not doing so well down the road

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

International (UK) edition new episode.    I really like Lawrence.    Tonight, Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, in Chelmsford, 40 miles from London.   The couple won the health lottery, $334,00 U.S./ 250,000 pounds.   The couple are moving from a tiny apartment, to their own house.    They're spending 220,000 pounds / $206,050 U.S., and they're moving near Durham, in the far north of England, south of Newcastle, and the couple should get a lot of value for the money.     Tim and Alison want a nice quiet place.    First house is a converted church, slightly under budget. a very quirky floorplan.   Second house, is brand new.  and it has an en suite on the main bedroom.  However, two baths upstairs, nothing downstairs.   Third house, is out of town, and is a lovely converted barn, 3 bed, 2 bath with an en suite.  I love the third one.    I love seeing the countryside. They choose the second one, with the new build.     I think the third one was just too expensive.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

There are a lot of different lotteries in U.K.    The health lottery was new to me, but there was a postal code one on one of the U.K. shows last year, where the man won, and then his mother won.      I'm just amazed that you can win without buying a ticket, or entering the contest. 

I set the DVR for the two new episodes at 7 - 8 Central.   Surprise!  There are supposed to be two new International (UK) episodes at 9 - 10 Central.   I swear the Cable guide said 7 - 8 was it.    I'll be so disappointed if that listings wrong too. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Wow tonight's lottery dream home international...the 10:00 pm episode in England.  The woman had some dress on at the reveal...holy cleavage!!!!

They did pick the right place for them but boy were those houses so small. 

I love the scenery and the oldness of England.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Wow tonight's lottery dream home international...the 10:00 pm episode in England.  The woman had some dress on at the reveal...holy cleavage!!!!

They did pick the right place for them but boy were those houses so small. 

I love the scenery and the oldness of England.

I love seeing how they live in other countries, but most of the time it makes me really appreciate what we have here in the good ole USA, lol. The homes they've shown so far in the UK are tiny, especially the bathrooms and bedrooms. 

That was indeed some cleavage the wife was sporting, lol. The couple had great style and some cool things but the decor was too cluttered, like living in an antique store.

I love the International host, Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen. His suits are fabulous and he's charming and funny. He reminds me a little of Tim Curry.

• Love 5

Yes, the antique collectors certainly had their own style.   I really wondered if the cleavage at the home selection was going to end up on the table, and being blurred out.    I'm amazed at the prices of a tiny two bedroom, with a separate garden allotment.   I liked the house they chose.   The tiny, steep staircase in the second one looked awful. 

The second episode with the big budget was amazing.   For once they picked the home I liked, and hoped they would buy.    I loved seeing all three houses, but the first was definitely too small, and not enough parking.       The second house was amazing, but the third was spectacular.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Wow tonight's lottery dream home international...the 10:00 pm episode in England.  

Darn it, my guide said the new international episodes would be on at 8 pm. When I found repeat, I turned to something else. Will have to see if it's On Demand.

• Love 2

I liked both of last night's episodes.  They brought something unique and different. 

The antique collectors were looking at houses that were very old so I'm not surprised they were all small.  I think the first or third would have been perfect; although ultimately, they chose the right one because of that big garden. 

I did guess that they were going to choose the third because they didn't go into that little shed at the end of the garden which made me suspect they kept the music equipment in there which would have given it away.  It was rather busy but that was something I expected given that her mother was a collector. 

I'm glad they didn't choose the second house, especially.  Former mental institution?  Strike 1.  Inside reno was rather modern? Strike 2.  Allotment?  Strike 3.

The second episode was interesting because the first house didn't seem like much compared to the second house.  I would have chosen the second house too.  It was well appointed. 

11 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I love the International host, Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen. His suits are fabulous and he's charming and funny.

One thing I loved that he said during the first episode was when the woman talked about her special plates with a special name.  He was very meta in talking about how the subtitle people were going to struggle with that one.

• Love 3

Oh my, so that's what you were all talking about. Did not know Russian oligarch was a look, but that described it. Charlotte was giving Laurence a run for his money in the outfit department.

Claire and Gary were tame in comparison but still a nice couple. That's the thing about the International version, you don't get the impression that these people are doing this to be on tv.

I liked all the housing options, from cozy to grandiose. I must have put too much rum in my drink.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

That kind of cleavage is on display at every RenFaire I've ever been to. It's the corset. I've seen way more threatening to overflow. She reminded me quite a bit of Angel(a) from Escape to the Chateau.

It was easy to guess in both episodes which one it was going to be. The first episode there was a cat on the bed of the chosen house when they toured it. If the homeowners had to clear out for filming they would have also taken the cat. Unless the owners were already there of course. And the second episode they were all oh, this is exactly our taste. Indeed.

• Love 5
On 4/17/2021 at 12:02 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The second episode with the big budget was amazing.   For once they picked the home I liked, and hoped they would buy.    I loved seeing all three houses, but the first was definitely too small, and not enough parking.       The second house was amazing, but the third was spectacular.   

On 4/17/2021 at 1:24 PM, Irlandesa said:

The second episode was interesting because the first house didn't seem like much compared to the second house.  I would have chosen the second house too.  It was well appointed. 

These houses were definitely a step or three up from the other episodes - but a million dollars? Holy crap! You can get a 5000 square foot house with four large bedrooms and bathrooms in my state for under 700,000.

Of course, we have some gorgeous areas but not much English charm, lol.

• Love 1

Not sure where to post this. But yesterday I saw an episode where it was international. They were in the UK. And it was a different guy (obviously). Who was fine, but I feel like David is more interesting. I'm not sure why exactly. But I feel like that guy couldn't pull of a segment where he is just talking and making a recipe his mother had and some how be fascinating lol. 

• Love 2

The two latest episodes were UK edition, and I enjoyed them.   The young couple who bought the house near London made a great choice, and when he said it was right around the corner from family, I knew which one they would pick.  

The second with the 16 year old that won $1.125 million US playing Fortnite, that was amazing.     The separate shower room makes so much sense.   

The second house with the giant multilevel deck and a separate cottage was interesting.   

Third house has a lot of items covered by tarps.   No surprise that they pick the one full of kids' stuff, and with tarps on a lot of the items.    He still gets his separate games room/cottage. 

The 16 year old gamer does his gaming at all hours, because they're international.   That's why he needed a separate place to game, because he's working while everyone else is asleep.   

Last night's with the single father who won over $500k US was interesting.   I like that they show interesting local features on the UK edition, and Dover castle was interesting.    I knew the second Laurence showed the top floor with the gaming chair, that the third house was the pick.   I loved the first house.   The second house was nice.    I still find it amazing to see a four story house, less than 1,000 sq. ft., and one bathroom.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I have been watching the UK shows and love them.  The houses are quirky...as are a lot of the Hunters.  It is nice to see small homes with some character (sometimes good, sometimes not) and how not-so-picky a lot of the buyers are.  And the host!  Love him - he looks like he could maybe be David Grohl (Foo Fighters...thank you my kids and Grands) if he was older, heavier, and wore flashy suits.  I wonder how much he spends on styling and hair products.

• Love 5

Thanks to reading everyone's comments, I looked for (and found) the International version and am loving it.  The participants seem very good-natured and are fun for me to watch.  I was really surprised though that the gamer boy actually fell asleep on a bed in a house they did NOT buy.  I wonder whose idea it was to be on this show as he was totally exhausted.  I actually thought they were going to go with the first house as that was the one where he fell asleep, so I was surprised with what they ended up choosing.  

I also like hearing about the different areas in England and LOVE the host's endless supply of amazing suits.  

Hopefully they will get to the point where they do not need David "handing off" the baton to Laurence.

• Love 5

New episode!   Cape Cod, Carol and Joe.   They want a home for $400k to $450k, 2/3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, and they want to get a boat too.    It must be cold, because David's wearing a lovely fake fur coat (not resembling a skinned Muppet this time).  As usual these days, low inventory. (I'm so glad they already own what ever they 'pick').  

#1 The Sandpiper, $436k (probably go well over asking).   3 bed/2 bath almost 2,000 sq ft, 2 car garage.    Lovely, cozy home.  They have a downstairs bedroom, and sitting room they could use, (I didn't notice if there's a downstairs bath) because the main bedroom is upstairs.   The back deck is great.  Kitchen is a little small and dark. COmes furnished. 

#2 Gooseberry Grove, in Barnstable.  $419k 2 bed /2bath 1426 sq ft. brand new septic tank.   Nicer kitchen than #1.    Bath and bedroom on 1st floor, main bedroom and bath is upstairs. There's a bonus room upstairs, staged as a bedroom.   Nice deck, and smallish back yard.   

#3 Gull Cottage   $399,900.   3 bed, 2 bath 1305 sq. ft.   in Hyannis.   Cute, cozy, all one floor.  En suite, nice main bathroom.   The only house with an en suite.    Great deck and yard.  outdoor shower.   

They 'buy' #1 (Yes the one that comes furnished).   Bidding war.  Move in ready.  

• Love 3

So happy to have a new episode, it's on the Cape, and David doesn't have any visible new tattoos! His outfits were even reasonable. Oh and the houses were all nice.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Grizzly said:

So happy to have a new episode, it's on the Cape, and David doesn't have any visible new tattoos! His outfits were even reasonable. Oh and the houses were all nice.

Loved the location even if it did look freezing cold!

I was thinking that the big butterfly tattoo on the back of David's neck was new, or has that always been there?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, BrainyBlonde said:

I was thinking that the big butterfly tattoo on the back of David's neck was new, or has that always been there?

I didn't notice the back of his neck. This will require more research.

On 5/7/2021 at 9:55 PM, Grizzly said:

He also didn't act too over-dramatic either, just like his old self, which was nice.  Although I thought the black tattoo covering his entire right hand looked new or maybe I just never noticed it before.

In a previous episode I saw a few weeks back he called the woman's husband a "silver fox" under his breath, but I caught it.  Now in my book that's not appropriate for anyone to call anyone's husband, especially in front of them and especially on TV.  I can't believe he got away with it and they aired it!

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Yeah No said:

In a previous episode I saw a few weeks back he called the woman's husband a "silver fox" under his breath, but I caught it.  Now in my book that's not appropriate for anyone to call anyone's husband, especially in front of them and especially on TV.  I can't believe he got away with it and they aired it!

Why? It's a joking compliment given from a homosexual man to a happily married heterosexual man. Did it seem as if either the husband or wife found it somehow insulting? 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Grrarrggh said:

Why? It's a joking compliment given from a homosexual man to a happily married heterosexual man. Did it seem as if either the husband or wife found it somehow insulting? 

They didn't focus on the scene long enough to see any response, but that doesn't matter.  Often people (especially older people) don't react to comments like that in public in order to remain polite.  But they may not like it nonetheless.  I know a lot of women who wouldn't appreciate another person male or female making such a comment to their husband.  They'd be like, "back off, he's mine" about it.

In our PC society it is especially not OK to say such things so as not to potentially offend someone.  So it doesn't matter what the intentions are or even how the person it is directed toward actually receives it.  The point is that it can potentially offend the person (or people) on the receiving end so it should just not be done.  It's something people usually receive training not to do on the job.  Having seen all the recent high profile accusations of people feeling harassed and objectified by public figures, consciousness is being raised about the way such comments can and are received.  It doesn't matter whether the person on the receiving end is male or female, it's the same thing.  Such a comment is often seen as a come on or a flirt and therefore not OK to say to someone's spouse especially in their presence.  Most men today seem to understand this and refrain from making such comments to women they don't know very well, but just because the comment is directed at a man doesn't make it somehow "harmless" and OK.  David should know better, IMHO.

• Love 2

The new Orlando area episode is fun.   I love the couple.  They want 4 bed 3 or more baths, , and two or three car garage, for up to $350k.    

House 1-Magnolia Lane.  3 bed 2 bath, older home, very modern and industrial inside. Lovely well-done older home.   $313k

House 2- Cypress Springs (Ocoee edge) with amenities, and an HOA.   Two story, 4 bed 2 1/2 bath almost 2,000 sq ft, $317k.   Great kitchen, great main bedroom, and bath, wonderful closet, big back yard.   Community has club house, gym, pool, a lake, gated community.  

House 3-Mockingbird Manor (Ocoee) 2 story, 4 bed 4 bath, 2800 sq. ft. $370k, 2 car garage.  I love this house.   Really big kitchen.  Really nice back yard.   I wonder if you can fence the back yard?   I didn't see any side fences in the back yards (some HOA communities don't allow fences, because the HOA fees include lawn mowing front and back.    

They go with Cypress Springs, the new build.  

• Love 2

If they show other people, they have to get waivers from all of them to show their face on TV.  Plus, people in the background may be trying for their moment on TV, and not behaving.  That's why they have virtually empty restaurants or coffee shops they meet with the 'buyers' at, if you see someone in the background, they're usually part of the production company. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/9/2021 at 11:08 PM, Yeah No said:

They didn't focus on the scene long enough to see any response, but that doesn't matter.  Often people (especially older people) don't react to comments like that in public in order to remain polite.  But they may not like it nonetheless.  I know a lot of women who wouldn't appreciate another person male or female making such a comment to their husband.  They'd be like, "back off, he's mine" about it.

In our PC society it is especially not OK to say such things so as not to potentially offend someone.  So it doesn't matter what the intentions are or even how the person it is directed toward actually receives it.  The point is that it can potentially offend the person (or people) on the receiving end so it should just not be done.  It's something people usually receive training not to do on the job.  Having seen all the recent high profile accusations of people feeling harassed and objectified by public figures, consciousness is being raised about the way such comments can and are received.  It doesn't matter whether the person on the receiving end is male or female, it's the same thing.  Such a comment is often seen as a come on or a flirt and therefore not OK to say to someone's spouse especially in their presence.  Most men today seem to understand this and refrain from making such comments to women they don't know very well, but just because the comment is directed at a man doesn't make it somehow "harmless" and OK.  David should know better, IMHO.

Agreed, and I don’t think it matters at all if the recipient of the comment is married or if the spouse is there. I’m all for light-hearted banter and I like David, but I think he crosses the line sometimes. Like, when he asked a couple if they shower together. For me, that’s an inappropriate question on this show. I don’t think it has anything to do with being politically correct, but rather being respectful. 

On 5/14/2021 at 9:46 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The new Orlando area episode is fun.   I love the couple.  They want 4 bed 3 or more baths, , and two or three car garage, for up to $350k.    

House 1-Magnolia Lane.  3 bed 2 bath, older home, very modern and industrial inside. Lovely well-done older home.   $313k

House 2- Cypress Springs (Ocoee edge) with amenities, and an HOA.   Two story, 4 bed 2 1/2 bath almost 2,000 sq ft, $317k.   Great kitchen, great main bedroom, and bath, wonderful closet, big back yard.   Community has club house, gym, pool, a lake, gated community.  

House 3-Mockingbird Manor (Ocoee) 2 story, 4 bed 4 bath, 2800 sq. ft. $370k, 2 car garage.  I love this house.   Really big kitchen.  Really nice back yard.   I wonder if you can fence the back yard?   I didn't see any side fences in the back yards (some HOA communities don't allow fences, because the HOA fees include lawn mowing front and back.    

They go with Cypress Springs, the new build.  

I wondered how much the HOA fees were.

Edited by readheaded
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They don't usually mention the HOA fees on this show, and they don't always on the other real estate shows either.   

I've seen it on House Hunters, but I'm not sure about other shows. It seems like HOA fees might be a particular concern for lottery winners because many of them get a lump sum so they can buy the house, but have to keep finding money for the HOA fees which can be hefty.

• Love 4
(edited)

Tonight's new episode, moving from Virginia, back to Louisiana.   Mandeville, LA. the bridge is 23.8 miles from New Orleans across Lake Pontchartrain.  Tim and Mary.   The husband won on a scratcher, $250,000 on a $5 scratcher.   They want 4+ bedrooms, 3 baths, so their eight children can visit, and space for her mother to live there.   Plus a pool, and close to fishing.  The budget is up to $500,000 turnkey, or up to $400,000 if it has projects.   

#1 Willow Bend,  4 bed 2.5 baths, 2580 sq. ft., $398,000, no pool but plenty of room for one.  Great kitchen.   main bedroom is huge, great bath.  great bedroom for the mother, but not an en suite. it would be easy to add another bath too.   

#2 Laurel Acres, has a pool, 5 bed 3.5 bath 3265 sq. ft. on 1/2 acre.  $420,000,   kitchen is huge, main bedroom is huge, great bath that needs some work.  Great bedroom, with an adjoining bath for mom.  The pool is gorgeous.

#3  Birch Tree Place, 4 bed 2.5 bath, $489000,   2798 sq. ft.  2 story.    Great pool, and a great outdoor kitchen.   Great kitchen, bonus room to turn into mom's bedroom.   Main bedroom is upstairs, and wonderful, the bath is wonderful.    

They 'pick' #2 Laurel Acres. (I know they already own it, but I thought #3 was it for sure). 

Tonight's is Charlotte, NC.  Youngest winner on the show, ever. The winner is 22, Hadley, shopping with her younger sister Nicole, She won $390,000.   She wants 3 bedroom, 2 or 3 baths, $550,000 budget.   Townhouse will work, she wants to have her mother and sister live there too.   

#1 beautiful townhouse, close to downtown.  $335,000 Cardinal Court Really nice, with a view of the city. 

#2 Windsor Woods, single family.   3/2, 2265 Sq. Ft. on 1/2 acre $475000.   Lovely two story, spectacular kitchen, main bedroom suite is wonderful, and the bath is wonderful.   A huge bonus room, the back yard is fantastic, with lots of kiddie toys.   

#3 Rosecliff,  single family.  It looks like something out of a story book, has Gingerbread all over the porch trim, smaller yard than #2,  5 bed/3 bed, 3.156 sq. ft. $546,000.      I love the kitchen, not white cabinets for once, I like the granite and back splash, lovely main bedroom on the first floor, great walk in closet, and wonderful bathroom, the rest of the bedrooms are upstairs, and all are huge.   Big screened in porch on the back.   

Hadley chose #3 Rosecliff.    I love that house.     (I know she already owns it). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Sorry if this has been asked already but I am watching season five episode one on stack TV in Canada, And the last part of the show is missing where they tell you which home they picked. I’ve tried to figure it out a number of ways with no luck so I’m hoping someone who has access to it might just be able to tell me which home they picked.

Cheers!

Deb

(edited)

If that's My Lottery Dream Stable, with the couple with the teen daughter, and won millions, they want room to entertain, and .  They look in Loxahatchie at a place with a really big yard, and house, with a poolside Tiki bar for the husband, that's #1, no room for horses though.   #2 is a lot of land, an OK house, would need barns, fencing etc.     #3 has all pastures, with a great stable.

The daughter makes the decision to get #1, because it makes the parents happy.   Plus, they buy a few acre lot across the street, for the horses.   I hope that's the right episode, Season 5 episode 1.  

Here's the HGTV listing for Season 5: 

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/my-lottery-dream-home/episodes/500

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Charlotte. What kind of style were the young ladies sporting? Especially the little sister? And David was toned down, like he didn't want to compete. How interesting that the just turned 22 year old seemed to have custody of the 16 year old. Mom is either camera shy or could come live there after she finished jail/rehab? All 3 places were fabulous. Really didn't think they needed all that space at #3 but it's her money. Or it was. All gone now.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think the younger sister wanted to be on TV, and Mom didn't.   After all, we know they already own the house, and only do the show with two decoy houses.  

Hadleigh, was the correct spelling.    I'm guessing her influencer income is huge, and I bet she didn't even have a mortgage.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4