Type keyword(s) to search

My Lottery Dream Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Sought this forum out for the first time to say that I cannot stand looking at the host, David? is that his name? and his awful tattoos. All that nastiness up his neck is so distracting. Looks like dirt. I wouldn't trust his taste in anything. 

And the show concept? Just awful.

Edited by Bossa Nova
On 10/20/2023 at 8:10 PM, Grizzly said:

Mother and son in Massachusetts.

They were so sweet together!  I love the kitchen in Burr Bliss.  I liked all 3 homes, but this one seemed to suit their needs best.  The downside to house #3 was that it was so close to other homes, and she wanted something more rural.  I noticed a busy street behind house #2, but hopefully that won't be an issue and they can put a fence up that will help with that.  They'll need one for the dogs. 

• Like 2

Hoping David has not added additional tattoos.

Sorry, they’re too much for me, as is. I don’t get it. I try not to grimace when I see “sleeves.”  Besides the pain part, and whatever’s in those inks that seep into your system, good luck when either weight changes or gravity kicks in. As it does.

People call on David’s services on this show to get on TV. I’m not sure what I’d think about his taste in homes if I just met him at a realtor’s office, sans celebrity. Unless irl, he’d frequently buy lunch and hunt out neighborhood gossip. Then, at least it’d be fun. I guess.

• Like 4
(edited)

Nova Scotia Homecoming Queen"

New, 5 January 2023

A woman with a baby on the way (she's 31 1/2 weeks) returns home to Shelburne, Nova Scotia, Canada, where she hopes to put her lottery winnings to work at an affordable oceanfront property. 

Eleanor aka El, won 3.5 million Canadian with a group of  20 people at work ($2.6 million U.S.) , about $170k to $180k each   

Wishlist-waterfront or water views, 3 to 4 bedrooms, .5 acre or more, Budget is $350k, willing to do renos if necessary.  Wants character. 

House 1- Cabot Cove- waterfront -4 bed, 2 bath, 425k CAD, on almost 3 acres. 1 bed first floor, 3 bedrooms up.  eat in kitchen is cute, sunken living and dining room, lovely hardwood floors and woodwork, bathroom is nice. pond on the property, rocky beach.   I like that there is acreage, but there are still neighbors close by.   

House 2-Seal Harbor -3 bed, 2 bath, 1700 sq ft, 324,900 CAD , 1920 house, water front, on .5 acre (I think, it might be bigger, but I missed it).   Lovely house, beautiful shape.   original everything. lots of cute wordwork details.  tin ceiling in the kitchen, needs new appliances.  1 full bath on the first floor.  Main bedroom is adorable, with views.  Primary bedroom, upstairs bath and 2 other bedrooms are cute.  Hot tub on the back deck, fire place on the deck too.    

David and El are going to have lunch, with Lobster Roll for him, and a burger for her.  He's going to see if the local Lobster Rolls are better than Maine's.   

House 3-Brightwood Bay-4 bed, 2 bath, 2200 sq ft, 315,000 CAD ($232k US) built in 1862, on  23 acres.  Upstairs needs work.  Exterior and front are adorable.  trim is cute, stairs are cute.  living, dining, kitchen are all redone.   downstairs bath is full and redone.   There's an organ in the parlor.   Upstairs has 4 bedrooms, 1 bath but tiny and needs to be redone, linoleum floors upstairs.   OUtside has a well, and a lovely lawn.   The closest to town. 

She bought #3.  I love that house.   I'm hoping every happiness for El, the baby, and her partner.  

(I really like the few Canadian episodes David has filmed, beautiful scenery, wonderful people, and such lovely properties). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6
(edited)

Second Home Sanctuary"  

New,

From the show site: A couple (Tessie and  ) sells their Iowa inheritance (land inherited from his Mom) to buy a cabin in Minnesota where their family and friends can gather for the holidays, and David gets a chance to return to his childhood home to help them find the perfect property.   They're keeping their own home, and sold the inherited land, and buying the lake home. David grew up in Cokato, about 35 minutes from St Cloud.   They're about 90 minutes from the Twin Cities. 

Wishlist-$400,000 budget, lots of bedrooms, lakeside cabin, around St. Cloud.  

House 1-Hollydale Hills in Watkins, MN -4 bed, 2 bath, 2000 sq ft, $345,000, over .8 acres.   (Looks like a mobile home to me).  Great lake view, huge living/dining space, kitchen is updated, with a pantry.   Main suite is big, great view, ensuite is big with a garden tub with a view, and a big shower.   Three guest bedrooms have bunks in one room.  Beautiful deck, lake frontage with a dock.    Turnkey property.  

House 2-Kachow Court at Grand Lake  in Cold Springs, near St. Cloud- 3 bed, 1 bath, 1166 sq ft, $399,900.  2 beds in the main house, one is a bunk room.  Main bedroom is upstairs with a fantastic view of the lak.  Theres lake frontage, a sold doeck with a huge deck, and a boat lift.   

House 3-Walleye Way-2 bed,1 bath, 1161 sq ft, $415,000, (On Chain of Lakes, a bunch of lakes connected together.) Fire pit, hammock, on .6 acres.  Everything comes with it indoor and outdoor furniture.   House faces lake, kitchen is beautiful with lots of bar stools, living room is big, bathroom is large.  1st bedroom is nice, 2nd bedroom is great.   There a two more bedrooms downstairs in the ground level, with bunks for five (but no bathroom?).   

They buy # 1.  They faked me out with #3 having the furniture included. 

My guess is there wasn't a lot of inventory in the house hunter's price bracket.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

6 people and 1 bath would have been a no go for me. Especially at #3 where the lower level sleepers would have to go outside, up the stairs, and in the main house to use the bathroom. The houses weren't what I was expecting for a lake cabin. They all had nice docks. And I liked the couple, seemed like nice, normal people.

• Like 1

LOL! Definitely made a big deal of #3. But like Grizzly pointed out, one bathroom?! Bedrooms not in the house? Smaller footage? 

They said up front that they needed room for everyone and #1 was the biggest space, best arrangement, awesome view and 2 bathrooms . 😂

• Like 2
On 1/12/2024 at 9:30 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

They buy # 1.  They faked me out with #3 having the furniture included. 

My guess is there wasn't a lot of inventory in the house hunter's price bracket.  

Yeah they faked me out with that furniture comment too, but I couldn't see them picking that home.  Despite looking like a double wide, that first one was the best house for the money.

As far as the Nova Scotia episode goes, I enjoyed that because I so rarely get to see Nova Scotia on TV, but wow those houses so close to the water like that - That one house needed to be re-shingled.  Being that close to the water is hard on a house.  I think she picked the best one.

• Like 3
(edited)

"I'm Italian, I Cook Sauce!"

New,  19 January

A Gio and Gia, (Giovanna and Giovanni), who struggled to care for their elderly parents, and afford a home for themselves at the same time got a stroke of good luck in the form of a million-dollar scratch-off ticket.  They’re using the money to find a condo with the perfect kitchen. This is in Fort Lauderdale/Plantation. 

Wishlist- $375,000 to $400,000. 2 to 3 bedrooms, 2 bedrooms or more, waterview if possible, 1500 sq ft condo.  Amenities if possible.  She wants a great kitchen. 

House 1-Cooper Colony in Plantation. condo with second story - 2 bed, 2.5 bath, 1205 sq ft, $375,000.   Near the lake.   Big dining area, living room is smaller, but kitchen is totally updated.  Half bath on the first floor, with the  living/dining/kitchen on main floor. Second floor has two bedrooms and two ensuites.   Guest bath has a tub. Main bedroom is big, tray ceiling, ensuite is nice with a huge shower.   Lake view.   The balcony overlooks the lovely lake, but it's small. 

House 2-Boca Point in Sunrise, condo - 2 bed, bath, 1174 sq ft, $368,000.   Tile floors, no stairs inside. .  nice kitchen with gas stove, open living to dining and living room.  Opens to the balcony, no lake view.   Main bedroom is nice, great closet, ensuite is nice with a shower, separate tub, double sinks.  Guest bath and guest room ar nice.  laundry.  Balcony is bigger than #1, and screened in.   Complex has a swimming pol. 

House 3-Firebush Fountain, in Plantation -Townhouse, 4 bed, 2 bath, over 2000 sq ft, $390,000.  Outside is 70's, inside is a lovely, updated kitchen, nice dining/living room.   Upstairs has guest bath, main is huge, with a balcony, and ensuite has a huge shower, two sinks.  Back patio is huge.  And three more bedrooms.   One stair case to second floor. 

They buy #1  for the lake view, the turnkey property, and the amenities.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

I thought #1 was a little small but it was the only one with a water view. The screened porch at #2 was really nice. And of course the kitchen of #3 was worth crying over. Something to like about all of them. 

• Like 3
(edited)

“City Mouse vs. Country Mouse"

New, 26 January

From the show site:  Despite having an ample budget of $2 million, a couple is unable to reach an agreement between living in the hustle and bustle of the city, or taking it easy in the country, so they ask David to help them find a house that accommodates them both.

He's in Windsor Canada (across the river from Detroit, $3 million (Canadian) from lottery, he won the lottery 3 times in a year, Helen and Anthony. 

Wishlist- Helen wants the city, Anthony want country side. Basement, 2 - 3 bedrooms at least 2 plus bathrooms,. If it's in the country it needs pool. $1.5 to $2 million (Canadian) budget.   New construction is running about $1 million and up.  Windsor is about 250,000 population and growing.  Some of the potential houses are mansions, 5,000 sq ft and more, those are the country properties. 

House 1- Duntoon Drive on the Detroit River-4 bed, 4 bath, 2300 sq ft, $1.6 million (Canadian). Great views, lovely property, huge kitchen, great finishes.  2 upstair guest rooms, with ensuites, main bedroom with ensuite is gorgeous.  Huge finished basement, walkout, with another bath and bedroom.  

House 2-Rivendell Road, 40 minutes south of Windsor -3 bed, 2.5 bath, 4800 sq ft, $1.8 million on 3.25 acres, new build with a huge pool.  I love the kitchen, great room/dining with a beautiful fireplace.    Main bedroom is huge, gian ensuite with a humongous shower.   Hardwood floors throughout the first floor,  guest bath, 2 bedrooms, basement is still under construction, but it is a ready for a few more bedrooms, bath and family room.  great back covered deck.  

House 3-Monterra Manor in a golf course community in a neighborhood closer to Windsor.  5 bed, 5 bath, 3600 sq ft, $1.9 million, basement is fantastic.   Great room/dining/living/ kitchen are spectacular.  The kitchen island is the longest I've ever seen, 20 ft at least. 

Basement is spectacular.  a basement bedroom, movie theater.   3 berooms upstairs on the main floor, main bedroom and ensuite is humongous with the biggest stand alone tub I've ever seen, huge main bedroom closet.  Big pool.  House is turnkey.  

They buy #2.   The partially completed basement in #2 was a giveaway, but I loved seeing all three homes. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
(edited)

Million Dollar Start"

New, 2 February

From the show site: After winning a million dollars right before his 27th birthday, a North Carolina local seeks David's help searching for beautiful homes south of Raleigh.

Bo, won $1,000,000 on a Power Ball, split 50/50 with his boss,  and he’s shopping in Raleigh.

Wishlist- 2 to 3 beds, 2 baths,  $320,000 to $325,000, turnkey, open floor plan, maybe a small project or two.  

House 1- Porter’s Point in Four Oaks, new build -3 bed,2  bath, 1479 sq ft, $307,000 on almost ½ acre. Lovely front porch, 1 car garage, open living room/dining / kitchen. Bedrooms are nice size, especially the main room, ensuite is nice, tub/shower combo.  Wide galley style kitchen, Back yard has a nice patio, and is big. 

House 2-Mid Pine Passage in Benson, new build  - 4 bed, 2 bath, 1833 sq ft, $340,000, on .6 acre. 2-car garage.  Great open concept, nice foyer, big fireplace, big kitchen island, butler’s pantry, and pantry closet.    Main suite is huge, ensuite is big, with separate shower and tub, back yard is huge. 

House 3-Talamore Trussell in Clayton, 2 story – 4 bed, 2.5 bath, 2150 sq ft, $359,000, on  .17 lot, 2 car-garage. Big dining room, large living room, breakfast nook, big kitchen, great island.  3 beds and guest bath on one side, with main suite nice size, but not huge, ensuite has huge shower, no tub.   Upstairs laundry, smallest yard of the three homes but still a nice size.  

He buys #1 .  

New, 9 February

PS, I Love You"

From the show site: Two siblings hope to pay tribute to their desert-loving brother, who recently passed away.  They're buying  their dream home in Palm Springs, California, where David must find them the perfect place, complete with a mountain view.

Marlene  and Kenny inherited from their brother, Lenny.  Lenny died unexpectedly, and left everything to his siblings.  They currently live in the northern California, Bay Area. Marlene is the buyer, and will move there with her husband.  Marlene says Lenny loved the desert, and was an artist too.  

(I lived in the southwest desert for 10 years, some love it, and some hate it. Palm Springs is very popular with people buying a retirement, or remote work location.  San Francisco, L.A., San Diego, etc. are so expensive that Palm Springs is an attractive location. Old Las Palmas was where old Hollywood came to play)

Wishlist- 3 bed, 2 bath, with a mountain view, Palm Springs, or Desert Hot Springs,   Budget $400,000 to $450,000. Desert Hot Springs sounds like a good fit. She needs a room for her art studio.    The one in Palm Springs is only a 2 bedroom.   Mid-century modern Jack Mieselman is possible. 

House 1- Tahquitz Rim, in Palm Spings, Mieselman-2 bed, 1 bath, 880sq ft, $475,000.  Love the look of the house.   Air conditioning is with mini-splits.  Beautiful mountain view, small back yard, covered patio 

House 2-Desert Dusk in Desert Hot Springs - 4 bed, 2 bath, 1550 sq ft, $399,000.   Pueblo style stucco. Tile floors througout, big living, dining, kitchen. Needs new countertops, and appliances. 2 guest rooms, and one for an artist studio, main bedroom is decent sized, en suite needs countertops too.   mountain view from the back yard.  

House 3-Palo Verde in Desert Hot Spings- 3 bed, 2 bath, 1784 sq ft, $450,000. 2 car garage. Sort of Spanish style. huge living, dining, kitchen.  newest house they've toured.  split floor plan, primary suite is nice, bathroom is decent size. Bathroom needs a door, but that's an easy fix.   Big back yard has a mountain view, if they go up the hillside to the back fence.   House has granite countertops throughout, and the former dining room with the shelves works for her art display, and studio. 

She buys #3 .  I liked 2 & 3 for the size, but I loved the history in #1.   

I wonder if David will come back to house tour with Kenny? I hope so. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
(edited)

St. Paul Homecoming"

New, 16 February

After winning $209,000, a Minnesota woman and her sister, Lisa and Susan,  pool their money to buy a forever home in St. Paul; David checks in with his own family.  Susan won the lottery, with online gambling. $209,000.   Her stuff is all in storage, and she's buying with her sister. 

Wishlist-  3 or 4 bedrooms, a room for Susan's art supplies and studio, Lisa needs an office, character, Mid-century, a yard, a garage . $300,000 to $400,000.   He's working with his brother-in-law Brace, a real estate agent. David's going shopping with his sister later. 

House 1-Goodrich Grove, in Falcon Heights -3 bed, 2 bath, 1326 sq ft, $375,000 on 1/3 acre.  Adorable house, hardwood floors, fireplace, arches, big dining and living area.  Kitchen is nice but tight, updated.   First floor main suite. Upstairs 2 bed and a bath, one is the biggest bedroom in the house.   Back yard is huge, with a nice screened porch and deck.  David suggests building an art studio in the back yard.  Lots of stairs. 

House 2-Meadowbrook Bliss -3 bed, 3 bath, 1700 sq ft, $340,000, only stairs are to the partially finished basement.   They all put on booties to protect the lovely hardwood floors.   First bedroom is lovely, and two original vintage bathrooms.  David says art studio in basement with lots of stoage room for art supplies.   Kitchen is original with a pantry, cabinets to the ceiling, and tons fo storage space, family room is mid-centruy with spectacular windows, and a big fireplace.   Back yard is fenced with a big patio

House 3-Snelling's Bend in Roseville-3 bed, 2 bath,1360 sq ft, $310,000, on .25 acre.  Huge driveway, 2 car garage, detached.  House is lovely, hardwoods, 3 decent sized bedrooms, 1 big bath, bonus room that's an addition, kitchen is solid wood cabinets, vintage look, downstairs is big, needs a little finishing, great for an art studio, great light, and full bath in the basement.   basement bedroom would need an egress window.   back yard is big and fenced, and the wood deck is big but needs work. 

They buy #3 .  I loved all three houses, I would have bought #2 for that great room addition, and that fireplace.

(I have to say the juvenile behavior of the Baeumlers, and Leslie and Lindsay make me want to avoid the latest Rock the Block series.  They showed this commercial repeatedly, at least on my cable channel). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I have to say the juvenile behavior of the Baeumlers, and Leslie and Lindsay make me want to avoid the latest Rock the Block series). 

LOL, seems random, except yay! That’s a hard pass for me, too. I avoid both of their shows on the regular.

The sisters were out of central casting of bickering sisters aging together. Based on the months later shots, David needs to return with some design ideas, but I’d rather watch remodel them than Leslie and Lindsay.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

(I have to say the juvenile behavior of the Baeumlers, and Leslie and Lindsay make me want to avoid the latest Rock the Block series.  They showed this commercial repeatedly, at least on my cable channel). 

I'm glad I'm not alone wrt those twins.  Their juvenile nonsense on the first Rock the Block was so bad that I started to FF past all their segments.  I can't imagine how they got their own show.  

• Like 2
(edited)
On 2/16/2024 at 11:37 PM, buttersister said:

LOL, seems random, except yay! That’s a hard pass for me, too. I avoid both of their shows on the regular.

The sisters were out of central casting of bickering sisters aging together. Based on the months later shots, David needs to return with some design ideas, but I’d rather watch remodel them than Leslie and Lindsay.

I added later that they were showing the Rock the Block previews, complete with Bryan and Sarah acting like brats to the other contestants, and repeated commercials for Rock the Block.   I love Paige and Mitch, and Evan and Keith, but I'm probably not watching R the B again.   At least it was showing on my HGTV feed.   Since a long cable outage a month or so ago, they've been showing Colorado commercials instead of the local ones.  and I get HGTV show commercials and previews a lot, with Colorado car dealer commercials.  It's very odd.   

Last night they have returned to the Scratch Off reruns episodes.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

I've been home sick, so I've been grabbing every episode,  no matter what time  it's on, meaning my "feed" is messed up. But tonight I saw one of my favorite episodes,  where a family in Florida won $6M so there was no fussing about the cost of anything. I hate when the Lottery Dream Home is about the budget - just give me $1M and turn me lose.

There were 2 quite modern homes,  and one Florida mansion. They chose one of the modern styles (#2) which was huge, open, airy,with expensive finishes.

I'm not one for Florida living, but how nice to see how this show can really take it to the max when it wants to.

• Like 3
(edited)

New episode, not a Scratch Off edition, Friday 22 March, and Friday 29 March.  They both sound familiar, and are listed as Season 15, but I'm wondering if they're really new.  The one on 29 March is the couple moving to Fayetteville from Philly for BBQs with the grandkids, and to take care of a relative, so I'm sure it's a repeat.   The 22 March Restful Miami Condo doesn't sound familiar, so maybe I missed it for some reason.   

In April they start doing Friday airings of Mega Secrets Revealed, with past episodes aired as new.   Pretty much like Scratch Offs I guess.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
34 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

New episode, not a Scratch Off edition, Friday 22 March, and Friday 29 March.  They both sound familiar, and are listed as Season 15, but I'm wondering if they're really new.  The one on 29 March is the couple moving to Fayetteville from Philly for BBQs with the grandkids, and to take care of a relative, so I'm sure it's a repeat.   The 22 March Restful Miami Condo doesn't sound familiar, so maybe I missed it for some reason.   

In April they start doing Friday airings of Mega Secrets Revealed, with past episodes aired as new.   Pretty much like Scratch Offs I guess.   

If they sound familiar they probably are.  They just aired the NYC episode from 2022 on the 15th and billed it as a "new" episode from season 15.

• Like 2
(edited)

Yes, the NYC episode was a scratch off.  The Philly to Fayetteville is probably a rerun, the Miami Condo doesn't sound familiar.    However, I get this off of Titan TV, and lately they've had issues with listing shows as new that aren't.  HGTV claims the Fayetteville and Miami are new, but they have big issues with their postings too.  

Unless they changed the title of the South Beach episode to Miami condo, I don't remember the Miami episode.  I guess I'll find out Friday.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, the NYC episode was a scratch off.  The Philly to Fayetteville is probably a rerun, the Miami Condo doesn't sound familiar.    However, I get this off of Titan TV, and lately they've had issues with listing shows as new that aren't.  HGTV claims the Fayetteville and Miami are new, but they have big issues with their postings too.  

Up until recently Comcast has been labeling some of them as "new" but it was easy to tell it was a rerun because they didn't give a season and episode number but now they are showing those numbers so I don't know where they are getting that info. or how they would ever reconcile it if actual new episodes should come out with those numbers.

• Like 2
(edited)

"Restful Miami Condo"

(HGTV claims this is new, it's not)

This originally aired under the title : "South Beach Birth Rite", after an inheritance from her parents, Miami native Julie wants a vacation condo in South Beach.   They live in Flagler Beach now.  Condo is for Julie and Jim. She's shopping with her best friend., Bobbi. 

Condo 1- Ribbonttail Road, in South Beach, Art Deco, 675  sq ft $295K, 1 Bed 1 bath, condo is cute.  It comes with the furniture.  Condo. Parking behind the building.

Condo 2-Sailbay Central, HOA $700+, resort style living, 1 bed 1 bath 850 sq ft, $439k, the building lobby is gorgeous, with a fantastic pool, and view of the water. View from the condo is water/bayside.   Small balcony, but great view, the living room has a Murphy Bed. plus the main bedroom is big, with a great view too. bathroom has a glassed-in tiled tub shower combo.  Lots of amenities. 

Condo 3-Amberjack Abode, two story townhouse 4 blocks from the beach, 2 bedrooms 1.5 baths,  802 sq ft,  $445k.   I love this one, open floor plan, hardwood floors, laundry room/half bath, full bath upstairs with huge shower.  2 bedrooms upstairs and kind of small, both bedrooms the same size.  

She chooses #2.   They faked me out with the remark about #1 coming with the furniture, but all three were furnished. 

The 29 March episode is another rerun with a different title---“BBQ Home in Carolina" (This is a rerun of a season 13 episode with a slightly different episode title it was originally called “Philly to Fayetteville”)

Philadelphia couple relocates to Fayetteville, North Carolina, to be closer to family, and David steps in to help them put their $2 million lottery win to good use finding the perfect home for hosting weekend barbecues.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, buttersister said:

So annoying. Guide has today’s episode’s first airing as today. Liars. I recognized the winners, their house and the 2022 copyright date. WTF?

Thanks for the heads up.  My DVR recorded it as a new episode but I haven't looked at it yet.  Now I know to delete it.  This sucks.  It's a waste of time and a disappointment at the same time.

(edited)

The reason it showed as new is they renamed it, from Philly to Fayetteville, to BBQ.     Just enough to make it 'new' technically.    The same thing they did last week with the South Beach episode.   The HGTV site also listed some versions formerly Scratch Offs, called Mega something.  I guess they're scratch offs with a bigger budget?  

TV ads about the show claim the new season starts this Friday, and it does sound new from the title. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

I'm wondering why they're constantly renaming older episodes as new.  Are they planning on not making so many new episodes and are looking for "filler"?  I feel like we don't get a real season anymore.

1 minute ago, Yeah No said:

I'm wondering why they're constantly renaming older episodes as new.  Are they planning on not making so many new episodes and are looking for "filler"?  I feel like we don't get a real season anymore.

I don't think it's because they are not planning new episodes. Probably they are having trouble finding folks to be on the show. HGTV has a track record of labeling old shows as new.

9 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I don't think it's because they are not planning new episodes. Probably they are having trouble finding folks to be on the show. HGTV has a track record of labeling old shows as new.

This article points to David's Instagram where he confirms that a new season is in the works.  The article does make mention of how quickly the past season flew by (6 short weeks).  No mention of the "rebranded as new" episodes, though.

https://heavy.com/entertainment/hgtv/david-bromstad-instagram-lottery-dream-home-cancel-renew/

(edited)

"Tappahannock Is for Lovers"

New, 4/5/2024

A couple met as he was recovering from a devastating injury, and now with a big lottery win, they're ready to find a dream home in Tappahannock, Virginia. They want a quiet, small-town life, so David sets out to find the perfect country home.

$912,000 win in the Virginia lottery.    Jennifer won the lottery, and Brad had a life changing injury, they met right after his injury.  He's had 17 surgeries.  

Wishlist- 3 bed 2 bath, 1500 sq ft and up, acreage.  Brad is willing to remodel, and has built entire homes, so a fixer works.  $350,000 to $375,000.  Tappahannock is a small city.  

House 1-Starling Straights-turnkey remodel in town- 3 bed, 2 bath,1560 sq ft, $395,000.   House is beautiful with lovely beams and hardwood floors, kitchen is huge.   First floor main suite, that's huge and lovely, with a wood stove, ensuite is nice with a tub/shower combo.  2 bedrooms upstairs, with another bath. backyard needs work but it's huge for in town.  They could build a guest cottage in the back yard easily.    

House 2-Northern Knoll -15 minutes from town-on 2 acres, surrounded by 100 acres of farm land,  3 bed, 2 bath, 1590 sq ft, $369,500.   Unfinished basement.  lovely hardwood floors, big living room, with a nice fireplace,  (my one worry is if the surrounding farm land will stay farm land).   Main bedroom is smaller than #1, with an ensuite.  David says to add 500 sq ft to enlarge the main bedroom and bath.  Kitchen is stunning, and a huge deck.  Basement is unfinished with a pool table.   Basement is a walk out.   

House 3-Goldenrod Gulch in the neighboring countryside 30 mintues from Tappahannock -3 bed, 2 bath,1400  sq ft, $339,900.   In a development, but not too close to neighbors.   living room has capet, but a vaulted ceiling, 3 bedrooms and main bath are nice, but David says to push the walls out for bedroom and bath out.   Kitchen is cute, but not huge.  Back yard has a big deck, above ground pool, detached garage.  

They buy #2.  The pool table in the basement was a big hint that even I caught onto.

(from the description of the 12 April episode, they claim the buyer has the biggest budget ever. Bigger than the mountain top mansion in the first season?)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6
(edited)

Gold Lady of Lake Mendota"

New,  4/12/2024

From IMDB: The incredible story of a Wisconsin woman who didn’t win the lottery but made a savvy investment that paid off big time – to the tune of eight figures!  With the largest budget he’s ever been given, host David is on a mission to find the ultimate lakefront mega-mansion for this fortunate homeowner. From breathtaking views to luxurious amenities, David is determined to help her find the perfect dream home that reflects her newfound wealth and lifestyle.  (Is this the largest budget compared to the couple who bought a mountain top estate in season 1?) 

Kathy and sister Peg tour homes on Lake Mendota, in Madison, Wisconsin.   Kathy managed her investments in a biotech company, and has a budget of $3 to $4 million, and up to $6 million for the right home.  

Wishlist-Kathy wants to be on Lake Mendota, great view, 5,000 sq ft or more, so officially a mansion, lots of bedrooms and bathrooms. Open floor plan living area.  Lots of land.   (Kathy is considering a place in Florida, and shopping with David). 

House 1-Blackwolf Bay - 3 bed, 4 bath, 5000 sq ft, $2.5 million on 1/2 acre.  Very modern Beautiful living area, huge kitchen with induction cooktop.  Guest bedroom has a balcony, and great view.  Primary bedroom is even bigger, and a putting green on the balcony.   Ensuite and closet are gigantic.   Pool table, guest bathroom with a speaking toilet (Kohler).  The back yard has a chessborad, boathouse that's a playroom.  Dock and boat lift.   Kathy wants more property.  (However, I want to move into the primary suite and never leave). 

House 2-Thornberry Bay -4 bed, 5 bath, 7400 sq ft, $4.25 million. Fantastic front drive and garages, gigantic two story entry, living, decks and balconies, David's right, it looks like an upscale mall.  Kitchen is gigantic.  Stairs are curving, two guest bedrooms on the second floor, with the huge primary with windows on three sides.   Balcony /deck is overhanging the lake. 

House 3-Whistling Wake -4 bed, 8 bath, 6300 sq ft, $5.2 million. Sauna, pickleball court (not included in the sq ft). 4 car garage, plus another garage attached.  Fantastic living/dining/kitchen with the most wonderful view.  Kitchen has touchless everything, 4 ovens, humongous stove, on the third floor.  Main bedroom is ont ehfourth floor, with a huge closet, and ensuite.   Guest bedrooms all have ensuites, and great views, with an elevator.  second floor is a rec room with a gym, sauna , and steam room and pickleball indoor court, locker room, kitchenette, sports bar, another bath.   Plus, a huge hot tub/spa, boat house.    If she doesn't buy this one I'll be so sad. 

She buys # 3.  This was such an amazing episode.  Kathy invites David to come and play pickleball at the house.   I love that Kathy has so many friends and relatives that will enjoy the house too.   And I love she invited David to come up and visit. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

Yes.  These were some amazing houses and I love Lake Mendota.  I would have chosen the one she did too.

But I am not sure it's his biggest budget to date.  Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the CA episode from the first or second season have a budget of about 10 million dollars? 

• Like 1

Now that’s what I thought this series would be like. #3 was so over-the-top.
Was her entire family staying often? Or moving in. Nice change, though, from the houses that David oohs over (because the people are nice) but would be called gut jobs on Hh.

Lake Mendoza was all over Top Chef  this week, too. Sorry there wasn’t a Wright house on the market.

• Like 4
(edited)

The three houses looked nearly identical to me - brutalist architecture on the outside, all white interiors - I would rather see a home with character!

I mean, warmth, with at least some wood showing; cozy not cold. I imagine winters must get rough there, but did any of the numerous rooms have fireplaces? Even inserts, just to give the illusion of warmth. 

It occurred to me that one thing these shows all have in common is that they exist in a world in a different universe than our own.. One of my first questions would be how do they heat it? Yes, I know, she could burn money day and night, but assuming the owner has some sense of responsibility, I would have liked to hear about the solar panels on the roof, or the hot springs running under the basement level, or just about any other renewable energy source. 

I always feel a thrill when we get down to the lowest level of a house and find an extra living space, equal to the home's footprint, with an extra kitchen, a home theater, or game room. It's like finding an unexpected bonus. These homes are all bonus, so where's the fun in that?

Edited by CousinAmy
  • Like 3
(edited)

The house might have radiant heat too.   I'm sure the bathroom floors do, plus heated towel racks.     I guess Kathy didn't want a Heritage or Vintage house, and wanted the open floor plan.   She did have that on her wishlist, but of course that was tailored to what she already owned.    

Kathy wanted to be close to her family, and her friends, and I love she stayed in the area she loves.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

Wow, amazing houses and yes, I've been Wisconsin-ed over on Top Chef with Frank Lloyd Wright too.  

I did find them all a little sterile and minimal for my taste.  I would have preferred a little more color and design.  But I can appreciate looking at them and found something to like about all 3 of them.  Compared to the low budget houses this show often has on it, I'm not complaining.

I do have to say, though, that if I had that kind of money I wouldn't spend it on a house on a lake in Wisconsin.  But she's a native so I guess I get it.  Maybe I'd buy a house in Westport or Greenwich.   Now that would be something!  

When she said she made a great investment in a tech. company I wondered if it was one of those pandemic companies that developed the vaccines.  I could imagine that bringing someone a huge windfall.

I hope she makes good on her comment about coming back on the show to find a home in Florida.  I also hope the show can find more people with big budgets like this but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

• Like 6
(edited)

"Family Bonds"

After inheriting money from their late brother, Lenny, sister Marlene found a home in Palm Springs, while Kenny,  enlists David's help locating a place of his own amidst a desert oasis in the Coachella Valley. Marlene was season 15 episode 3, and bought in Desert Hot Springs.  David, Kenny and partner Jim meet at Marlene's home, and her artwork is beautiful.   

(I remember the sister buying a fabulous house in Desert Hot Springs.    I was hoping the brother would buy, and I would get to see the houses.)

Wishlist-Pool and spa, Turnkey, $600,000 to $650,000, close to Marlene. 3 bed 2 bath.  

House 1-Cactus Court in Desert Hot Springs  -3 bed, 3 bath, 1918 sq ft, $699,000 fully furnished.   Very modern.    Fantastic pool and spa in the courtyard.  Living is fantastic, great kitchen, great dining area.  Lots of huge windows.    2 guest bedrooms with an ensuite, one has door to the pol.  Main bedroom is huge, with a slider to the pool, and huge ensuite.   

House 2-Scorpion Basin in Cathedral City -3  bed,2 bath,2,000 sq ft, $630,000 Spanish style with tiled roof.  huge living room, kitchen is gigantic, attached to family room with fireplace.  stove is 6 burner with a griddle.  Main bedroom is huge, with a slider to the pool, ensuite is gorgeous with a big jetted tub, and a big shower.  2 guest bedrooms and bath are nice.   Pool and spa are fantastic with a covered area, and trees. 

House 3-Diamondback Ridge in Desert Hot Springs -4 bed,2 bath, 2300 sq ft, $575,000.    Nice living and dining room, with a fireplace.  Kitchen is nice, but not as big as #2.   Bedrooms are nice size, with a slider, other two bedrooms are big, one with an ensuite.  Main bedroom is big, ensuite and clost are nice, pool and space is fantastic.   Not furnished.  

Kenny buys #2.  They fooled me when #1 was sold furnished.     

I suspect with the prior episode featuring Marlene, that Kenny felt like a third wheel.    So, this time he felt more comfortable on camera, and with David.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They fooled me when #1 was sold furnished

Me, too, but by the artwork—some of it looked like Marlene’s!

Sliding glass door!! You can take us out of Detroit, but LOL! I get quizzical looks from my Chicago peeps whenever I talk about mine.

Enjoy the jetted tub, Kenny. He’s not quite as odd as in the Marlene episode and seems much more comfortable around David.

• Like 3

“Below Dock"

New, 4/26/2024

From the show site: Laney decides to honor her parents by using her inheritance to buy a generational vacation home on the Emerald Coast, and David embarks on a journey to find perfection in waterfront showstoppers.

Laney and husband Brett are househunting on Florida's Emerald Coast, Destin, Panama City.  and a lot of other fantastic panhandle cities. Laney's mom recently passed away, and Laney was left a gift from her parents.    They live in Fort Lauderdale/ South Florida, a 9 hour drive to the Emerald Coast.  (Laney said that until they retire, the house will be for family vacations.

Wishlist- 3 bed, 2 bath, not cookie cutter, and an open water view, with boat access.    $1 million to $1.2 million.  Realtor Sandy says ocean front is out of reach, but bay front is very possible.   

House 1-Sailor Bay-modern, on the north bay bayou,  above Destin.  - 3 bed, 2.5 bath, 3000 sq ft, $1.29 million.  Living, dining, kitchen are ope, with a fantastic view.  2 story.  kitchen recently redone.   beautiful deck.  main floor bedroom with a fireplace, and a view, great ensuite.   (actual main bedroom is upstairs), Second floor main bedroom is spectacular, and it's gigantic with another fireplace, and amazing huge ensuite.  Back deck and dock are fantastic. Lots of back yard, dock is big, and can hold a boat, and jet skis, or other toys. (Being on the north part of the bay/bayou in Destin is much nicer than being on the beach.  Destin's beach area is full of beach rentals, high rise condos that are mostly full time vacation rentals, and has big shopping centers with tons of traffic.   The location of this home is perfect.) 

House 2-Baytown Beach in Niceville - 3 bed, 2.5 bath, 2,000 +sq ft, $1.15 Million.   2 story, more traditional than House 1.  Kitchen is OK, but not modern like #1. main is big, and ensuite is nice.  Upstairs 2 bedrooms, bath, and a loft.   Back deck and Dock are great, with a huge boat lift on a deep canal. 

House 3-Windswept Way in Niceville , on Rocky Bayou- 3 bed, 3 bath, 1900 sq ft, $999,999. Waterfront, open living, dining, kitchen with soaring ceilings.  Kitchen is big, and totally remodeled.  Main bedroom is on the main floor, decent size, and water view, ensitue is wonderful.  Upstairs are 2 bedrooms and 1 more bath.   Deck and dock are fantastic, deck is over the water.  

They decided on #1 .   I love that they picked that one.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5

They were so going to pick that one! Good for them, sorry for your loss, but that was some budget for a second home. It’s either going to be their primary or wtf is in Ft. Lauderdale.

Maybe being on the bay will be better come hurricane season. I don’t know much about Florida (and that’s fine by me).

The husband’s adopting David’s “boop” was a surprise.

• Like 4

RE: West coast of Florida. My stepdaughter has lived in St. Petersburg (Historic Old South) for over 20 years. They are 3 blocks from Tampa Bay. They have evacuated once for a hurricane. Their house was unharmed, and their neighborhood did not lose power. They love it there.  The kids are in good magnate schools, and their neighborhood is close knit.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

RE: West coast of Florida. My stepdaughter has lived in St. Petersburg (Historic Old South) for over 20 years. They are 3 blocks from Tampa Bay. They have evacuated once for a hurricane. Their house was unharmed, and their neighborhood did not lose power. They love it there.  The kids are in good magnate schools, and their neighborhood is close knit.

My husband and I visited a rich client of his last Fall in Sarasota and their house was pretty spectacular.  It has never been hit by a hurricane, only outer-effects like downed trees.  I'm from NYC so I've seen wealth but never on the order of this!  They lived in a development on a golf course with 5,000 square foot mansions, one more exciting and luxurious than the next.  Right up there with the most luxurious we've ever seen on this show, even better, actually.  What an amazing trip and they were lovely guests, fun to hang out with.  We had our own wing with a door out to the birdcage/pool/bbq/outdoor kitchen/living area.  They want us to come back.  Sign me up!  LOL

• Like 1