Type keyword(s) to search

My Lottery Dream Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I went to the show's web site to see what the requirements are to be on the show. They say have you bought a home with lottery winnings or are you thinking of buying a new home with winnings. From that I take it you don't have to have already bought a home. That's different from HH, which says you need to have bought a home or be in escrow. There is no "secret", it's right on these types of shows web sites how to get on.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I went to the show's web site to see what the requirements are to be on the show. They say have you bought a home with lottery winnings or are you thinking of buying a new home with winnings. From that I take it you don't have to have already bought a home. That's different from HH, which says you need to have bought a home or be in escrow. There is no "secret", it's right on these types of shows web sites how to get on.

I said it was an "open secret" because it can be known, but they don't make it known on the show itself.  You'd have to do a bit of sleuthing on their website or other online blogs like you did to find out.  Otherwise the show proceeds as if the people have not purchased a home and that David is actually helping them find one whether or not that is actually the case.  Hence the "secret" aspect.

I'm thinking that if they put that part in there about people "thinking about buying a new home" when such a person applies to the show they tell them to first find a home, contract to buy it (or be in escrow or whatever) and they'll schedule you for filming around those events.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I'm thinking that if they put that part in there about people "thinking about buying a new home" when such a person applies to the show they tell them to first find a home, contract to buy it (or be in escrow or whatever) and they'll schedule you for filming around those events.

I agree. Production doesn't have time to follow folks around on a real house hunt. However, this is what the web site says:

Did you recently win the lottery and purchase the home of your dreams? Or are you currently looking for a new home and need a little assistance from an expert? If you answered yes to either of these questions, then you’re in the right place!

We are currently casting for the hit HGTV series, My Lottery Dream Home, and we are looking to cast people like yourself to star in your very own episode with our vivacious host David Bromstad!

On My Lottery Dream Home, David Bromstad takes real life lottery winners on a sensational house hunt in search of the home of their dreams. Will they splurge on an extravagant mansion, keep it simple with a modest home close to family, or choose that vacation property they’ve always dreamed of? The only way to find out, is to tune in!

If you’re interested in being considered for the show, please send us an email at mylotterydreamhome@beyondusa.com or give us a call at (424) 345-4132.

We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Casting Team

• Useful 1
42 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I agree. Production doesn't have time to follow folks around on a real house hunt. However, this is what the web site says:

Sure but that still doesn't mean the "expert" is David.  He gets realtors to assist them in house hunting, then after they pick one, films them looking at houses after they've already contracted for it or have even lived in it for a while.  Most of the houses already have furniture in them and it's often obvious to me which one they pick based on what kind of furniture or possessions they have around the house or whether there is furniture at all.  Like this past week I knew they weren't going to go for the first or second house just based on what was in them.  To me they seemed more like a couple that would go for the style of furniture in the third house.  I've actually got a pretty good track record for picking which house the people eventually choose based on that, too.  There have been times when I've been blindsided, though.  I forget which episode it was now, but the people picked a house that was way worse than the other two.  Now when I see that type of situation I often think maybe they picked the worst one because why would they pick that one if they had the other two to choose from?

• Like 1
(edited)

“Lake Cumberland Dreaming”

$5 million scratcher, moving from Cincinnati, to Lake Cumberland, KY on the lake.  Jason and Jennifer, he rarely gambles, bought the ticket, and $5 million happened.  Lake Cumberland is the largest U.S. manmade lake. 

Wishlist- Right on the lake, for Jason, Jennifer, their adult daughter and her child.   4 bedrooms, 3+ baths, big kitchen and dining room. Budget $400k to $500k.   The realtor is Tammy Anger, and she’s adorable.

House 1- Barton Booth-4  bed,  4 bath,  3760 sq ft, $499k on 1 acre.  Stone exterior, hardwoods on the first floor. Kitchen is medium sized, and nice, with an island.   Family room is beautiful with a fireplace.  Upstairs has 2  bedrooms, main is big, with a sitting room or dressing area, ensuite is nice.   Basement has two bedrooms and a shared bathroom.

House 2-Perry Park -4 bed, 3.5 bath, 3600 sq ft, $430k on 1.2 acres, 11 minutes to the marina.  Nice two story.   Small living room, big dining room. Kitchen cabinets are darker wood, but I like it, 6 table dining area in kitchen, first floor bedroom main is big, and the bathroom is nice.  The other 2 guest bedrooms and bath are upstairs, basement is mostly finished, and could work for the daughter and her child.  Huge screened porch.   Only house with first floor living, allowing for aging in place.

House 3-Bluejack Barrel  - 4 bed, 3 bath, 2300 sq ft, $484K, with a lake view.  Two story. Split entry, downstairs is a family room, full bath, and bedroom downstairs,  upstairs has a living room with a fireplace, dining area, kitchen is medium brown wood cabinets with stone counter tops, 2 guest bedrooms, and bath, main suite has a lake view, ensuite is nice, but not huge.  With a screened porch and huge decks, with a smaller deck overlooking the lake. (Great view, but if the buyers want an 'age in place' option, this one isn't for them.)

They buy #2 .   I love the gigantic screened porch. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

I hope they did already buy that second house and the third hadn't been an option, because otherwise they were crazy to choose that house, beautiful screened in porch or not. The view alone for Bluejack Barrel was enough. Then, it was actually a nice house inside and out and did have a screened in porch still (with that view). No brainer to me if the whole point was the lake. It was a little smaller, but still very decently sized, and still under budget. 

• Like 4

I predicted they would pick the second house.  The third house had a great view but it was much smaller, more expensive and basically a "Home Depot Special" as I call it in terms of renovation.  Plus the layout was kind of pedestrian if you ask me.  It was just a typical raised ranch.  The second one had interesting vaulted ceilings and the kitchen was much better from my home cook's perspective.  I don't think I'd trade all that for that view either, but that's me.  I grew up with a great view but we lived in a cramped 800 square foot apartment.  When I was 15 we moved to an 1100 square foot apartment with less of a view but it was on a corner and in every other way a definite improvement.  I didn't miss the view.

• Like 2

“Texas Tranquility”

Woman has a surprise inheritance, and wants a house within ten minutes of her daughter and grandchildren.    Marisa inherited from her 95 year-old father.  2 of 3 daughters, and grandkids live in Texas, so Marisa’s moving to Texas near her daughter Jody.

Wishlist-   One Level, 2 to 3 bedrooms, small yard. Move-in ready. Budget is $300k to $350k.

House 1-Butterfield Bliss, near Jody’s house in Richmond.   – 3 bed, 2 bath, 1700 sq ft, $299k, 2 car garage. Open floor plan kitchen, dining and family room.  Granite counter tops, big dining area. 2 guest baths, bath, and laundry room.  Main bedroom is huge, en suite with big closet are lovely.  Another family room with a fireplace. Small back yard, privacy fences look like joint.

House 2- Rawl’s River, Richmond, TX-single family, 3 bed,2 bath, 1858 sq ft, $307,500  , on 1/3 acre.  Open floor plan, tile and wood floors.   Kitchen/family room combo are nice.   Kitchen has granite, and is more up to date than house 1.   Dining nook, and separate dining room.  2 guest bedrooms, and guest bath.   Main bedroom is spectacular and huge with a big ensuite.  Back yard is bigger. A highway is behind the back fence.

House 3-Wildcat Way -Richmond, single family, two story, 4 bed, 2.5 bath, 2500 sq ft, $344k, built in the 80’s, but cute.  Second floor has main bedroom, it’s huge, big ensuite, guest bedrooms with guest bath, downstairs is a half bath.   First floor is living room, nook, dining room,  big kitchen with Uba tuba granite (I hate Uba Tuba, so I wouldn’t buy a two story with Uba Tuba).  Back Yard is big, well landscaped, with a covered seating area.

Marisa buys #1.   I would have bought #2, it was turn-key and single level, and I loved the finishes.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Texas Tranquility

While the interior of #2 was a nice surprise I thought the exterior was nondescript. I found myself wondering why with all that space the owners chose to have a detached garage and parking area a hundred feet from the front door. That would be quite a long walk to the front entry in bad weather.

• Like 2

Err, it's interesting how the interior can be a pleasant surprise, but the exterior might not live up to expectations. As for the detached garage and parking area, I can see why you'd find it inconvenient, especially in bad weather.
I mean, who wants to trek a hundred feet to the front door in pouring rain or freezing cold, right? I'm curious though, do you think the owners had a particular reason for choosing to have the garage and parking area separate from the front entry? Maybe they had limited space to work with or maybe it was a design choice they made for some other reason? Just throwing it out there...

• Like 2

Texas tranquility:  I think she made the right decision with the first home.  The Tudor style house was just too big for her, and it was a 2-story - something she didn't want.  The biggest drawback to the second home was being able to see the main highway.  I lived close to a major highway years ago, but we couldn't see it.  We were surrounded by trees.  Although you could hear it (wasn't that bad), once you were inside it was quiet.  I wouldn't have wanted to be so close where I could see it from my backyard though.  David's suggestion of her planting pine trees isn't a good idea.  They grow into very big trees with roots that can cause a lot of damage.  We're in an area where that's a problem.  She could've planted something else, but that was going to be a lot of work.  Butterfield Bliss seemed cozy and just the right size for her lifestyle.  I liked the backyard of the second home the best, sans the highway!!

7 hours ago, Kenzie said:

I found myself wondering why with all that space the owners chose to have a detached garage and parking area a hundred feet from the front door. That would be quite a long walk to the front entry in bad weather.

Are we talking about the same show?  All 3 homes on this episode had attached garages.   

• Like 4
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Texas tranquility:  I think she made the right decision with the first home.  The Tudor style house was just too big for her, and it was a 2-story - something she didn't want.  The biggest drawback to the second home was being able to see the main highway. 

Once again I knew which house she was going to pick.  When she said she wanted something small I knew the other homes were too much for her plus I know how a grandma thinks, LOL.  Although I liked the second home, I didn't like the proximity to the highway.  And yes, pine trees wouldn't work, but my garden club president friend says arborvitaes would, at least where we live.  Not sure about Texas.  I have no idea, as plants die at the sight of me, LOL.

I liked her and her daughter.  They dressed and acted tastefully, which deserves note on this show.

I'm still noticing the trend toward featuring nicer homes this season.  Perhaps that's intentional.  I hope it continues as I've enjoyed it so far.

3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

David's suggestion of her planting pine trees isn't a good idea.  They grow into very big trees with roots that can cause a lot of damage.  We're in an area where that's a problem. 

Tell me about it, I have pine tress on my property and know all about that.  I think arborvitaes don't do that, which is why they are popular for privacy around homes.  The only problem with them is that it takes years for them to grow tall enough to provide enough privacy and at her age that's a consideration.  Yeah, I'm at the age where I think about stuff like that!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 3
58 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

The only problem with them is that it takes years for them to grow tall enough to provide enough privacy and at her age that's a consideration.  Yeah, I'm at the age where I think about stuff like that!

Me too, Yeah No, me too!!  She might've decided that she doesn't want to tackle a big landscaping project since it appears that her days are busy with her grandchildren.   I would be concerned with the highway in case someday the city/state decides they want to expand it out a bit.  I wouldn't want to be that close just in case something like that happens!   I did like the first 2 houses though. 

• Like 1

At our last house, I hired a nursery to plant arborvitae for privacy. When the woman from the nursery came to the house, she told me planting them as close together as possible was going to make a wall. I looked at her and said - exactly! I bought the biggest they had, and within a few years they were already providing privacy.

• Like 4
On 4/14/2023 at 9:32 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

House 3-Wildcat Way -Richmond, single family, two story, 4 bed, 2.5 bath, 2500 sq ft, $344k, built in the 80’s, but cute.

That house was something, but I wouldn’t use “cute” to describe it. The current owner had an obsession with metal wall art and fake plants, egads! The decor needed a serious edit to show what that house actually looked like.

On 4/15/2023 at 12:23 PM, Chit Chat said:

David's suggestion of her planting pine trees isn't a good idea.  They grow into very big trees with roots that can cause a lot of damage. 

Pine trees must be different in Texas because everybody here plants rows of pines for privacy and sound barriers. The roots causing damage is not an issue at all, never heard such a thing. The only drawback to David’s suggestion to plant trees is that unless she had a budget for enormous trees from the get-go (which she doesn’t), it will take years before they do any good as a sound buffer.

Those who suggest arborvitae? They are cedars, which are mosquito magnets around here. Again, might be different in Texas.

On 4/15/2023 at 5:20 PM, Chit Chat said:

She might've decided that she doesn't want to tackle a big landscaping project since it appears that her days are busy with her grandchildren. 

Well, if she bought trees I’m pretty sure the nursery she bought them from would plant them. They wouldn’t expect (nor trust) an aging middle-aged woman to plant them herself. And I don’t think she’s so busy with a couple of school-age grandchildren that she doesn’t have time for a bit of gardening, if she wants. 

As for the show in general, I wouldn’t call the houses in this show “lottery dream homes”. They’re very ordinary middle class houses, and in this case, the buyer didn’t even win a lottery. Getting an inheritance is not winning a lottery. The show is basically “House Hunters Who Came Into Some Money”.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Shermie said:

The roots causing damage is not an issue at all, never heard such a thing.

My neighbor has about 15 pine trees in her yard.  Some are right next to her driveway which is being pushed up due to the roots growing underneath it.  The pines spread pollen everywhere in the Spring too.  I love trees, but don't want the bigger trees too close to the house.  I'm in an area that can get hurricanes and tornadoes, so that's a big reason for the caution with the taller/bigger trees not being too close to the house.  

11 hours ago, Shermie said:

They wouldn’t expect (nor trust) an aging middle-aged woman to plant them herself.

Didn't she say that she's a master gardener or a pro at landscaping?  Yes, a landscaping company would plant the bigger trees, but the way she and David were talking, it sounded as if she might enjoy doing the smaller landscaping projects.  The kind of shrubs or trees she'd need in order to buffer the highway noise could potentially grow so big and get out of control if not tended to properly.  The more stuff you plant, the more work it takes to maintain it!! I think she made the right decision getting the smaller, more manageable yard. 

• Like 3
On 4/18/2023 at 7:54 PM, Shermie said:

That house was something, but I wouldn’t use “cute” to describe it. The current owner had an obsession with metal wall art and fake plants, egads! The decor needed a serious edit to show what that house actually looked like.

Pine trees must be different in Texas because everybody here plants rows of pines for privacy and sound barriers. The roots causing damage is not an issue at all, never heard such a thing. The only drawback to David’s suggestion to plant trees is that unless she had a budget for enormous trees from the get-go (which she doesn’t), it will take years before they do any good as a sound buffer.

Those who suggest arborvitae? They are cedars, which are mosquito magnets around here. Again, might be different in Texas.

Well, if she bought trees I’m pretty sure the nursery she bought them from would plant them. They wouldn’t expect (nor trust) an aging middle-aged woman to plant them herself. And I don’t think she’s so busy with a couple of school-age grandchildren that she doesn’t have time for a bit of gardening, if she wants. 

As for the show in general, I wouldn’t call the houses in this show “lottery dream homes”. They’re very ordinary middle class houses, and in this case, the buyer didn’t even win a lottery. Getting an inheritance is not winning a lottery. The show is basically “House Hunters Who Came Into Some Money”.

Oh, my gosh.  I had so much trouble with the roots from pine trees.  They were so invasive that they were heading towards my house foundation.  I would never plant trees that grow so tall and have such a huge root system again.  The trees were already on the property when I bought it.  There was also a Japanese Maple that grew to about 40 feet, also with a very invasive root system.  Expert advise is needed when planting trees, in my experience.  It is very expensive to have huge trees removed.

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

It is very expensive to have huge trees removed.

So true.  Where I'm at it can run around $800+ per tree for removal.   As much as we love trees, we've learned over many years of home ownership just how problematic the big trees can be when they're too close to the house.   Pine beetles are a big problem with them too.  One weak tree can spell disaster! 

• Like 2

I feel sorry for all of you who can’t enjoy the beauty of big trees. We have many large pine trees, many people here do, with no problems with root damage. Not sure what the difference is - pine tree variations, climate? A row of pines is often the go-to for privacy and/or wind.

I still think a buyer would have been okay planting the pines along the back fence as a traffic buffer since it was far enough from the house. Although it would be YEARS before they did any good buffering noise or visuals.

That said, she chose the right house for her needs. So many people, esp when they come into money, think bigger is better. But she was very self-aware, knew her limits and what she wanted and bought a house accordingly.

I still don’t consider a moderate inheritance the same as winning a lottery though.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Shermie said:

I feel sorry for all of you who can’t enjoy the beauty of big trees.

I get to enjoy my neighbor's big trees without worrying about them falling on my house when bad weather rolls through here!  Again, we love trees, but we've also seen the damage they can do if there is root rot (had a huge tree fall away from our previous home due to that), so we stick with crepe myrtles; maple trees; a Japanese Elm but try to manage their growth.  

• Like 1

I guess the show is back to reruns?  I watch some of them anyway because by this time I've forgotten which house they chose!  I like the little extra bits of behind-the-scenes info they put on the screen.

• Like 3

Yeah and what's up with labeling recently aired episodes as "new" scratch off episodes?  My DVR records them but sometimes it takes me a few minutes before I realize I've seen them already.  It's aggravating.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Yeah and what's up with labeling recently aired episodes as "new" scratch off episodes?  My DVR records them but sometimes it takes me a few minutes before I realize I've seen them already.  It's aggravating.

I notice a few of my shows doing that these days.  Maybe with this show it's because they add in the written commentary.  If I'm bored, I'll watch the episode again. 

• Like 1

The 'new' episode this week was a Scratch-Off, but I couldn't remember seeing it before. Bangor, Maine but not the one where David stopped at Stephen King's house. Tiny wife, large husband. They looked at two older homes and one new build outside of Bangor and chose the new build. It was a nice house, but the other two had more character. 

• Like 2
On 4/23/2023 at 1:41 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

The 'new' episode this week was a Scratch-Off, but I couldn't remember seeing it before. Bangor, Maine but not the one where David stopped at Stephen King's house. Tiny wife, large husband. They looked at two older homes and one new build outside of Bangor and chose the new build. It was a nice house, but the other two had more character. 

If that's the one where the husband wanted a garage for a workshop, the new build had the attached garage, so it was more convenient for him.   This is a fairly recent episode.   

On 4/21/2023 at 9:35 PM, Shermie said:

I feel sorry for all of you who can’t enjoy the beauty of big trees. We have many large pine trees, many people here do, with no problems with root damage. Not sure what the difference is - pine tree variations, climate? A row of pines is often the go-to for privacy and/or wind.

I still think a buyer would have been okay planting the pines along the back fence as a traffic buffer since it was far enough check this this for gambling. Although it would be YEARS before they did any good buffering noise or visuals.

That said, she chose the right house for her needs. So many people, esp when they come into money, think bigger is better. But she was very self-aware, knew her limits and what she wanted and bought a house accordingly.

I still don’t consider a moderate inheritance the same as winning a lottery though.

Err, I have to respectfully disagree with some of your points.

So firstly, while you may not have experienced any issues with root damage from pine trees in your area, other regions may have different soil conditions or water tables that make planting large trees, including pines, a risky choice. Root damage can occur over time and may not be immediately noticeable, leading to potential problems with foundations, driveways, and other structures...

Secondly, while planting pines along a back fence for traffic buffering sounds like a good idea in theory, it's worth considering the long-term impact. As you mentioned, it could take years for the trees to provide effective noise or visual buffering, and during that time, the trees may require maintenance which could just add to the overall effort and cost((

And thirdly and the last one, while big trees like pine trees can be beautiful and offer benefits, it's important to consider regional factors and long-term maintenance :)
Everyone's perspective and experiences may differ, and it's important to respect individual choices and limitations when it comes to property decisions.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Which is why I said I feel sorry for those who can’t enjoy the beauty of these trees, since some people in some regions can. In my region they’re not a problem and are very beautiful, and like I said, I feel sorry for people who can’t have the same experience. I don’t see that as a point of disagreement, since you’re right about your area and I’m right about mine.

The buyer’s experience in this episode is different again, and it wouldn’t have made a difference for her since the reward of pine buffering would have taken too long for her to enjoy them. Like I said, she chose the right house for her needs, which showed great self-awareness. More than some buyers on these shows.

• Like 2
(edited)

I'm ignoring the Florida shows.

In all episodes of everything. The stupidity of buying these waterfront properties is astounding to me. Either they're vulnerable to storms and flooding, or they're gator pits or rising sea levels are going to be a problem. 

Edited by buttersister
  • Like 8
(edited)
On 5/21/2023 at 11:34 PM, buttersister said:

Either they're vulnerable to storms and flooding, or they're gator pits or rising sea levels are going to be a problem.

I grew up 5 miles from the beach (east coast of Fla) and IIRC, Al Gore said we were supposed to be under water in the 80's (?).  My childhood home is very much above water to this day (and my mom has been there 68 years!)  

The gator problems are probably coming from all of the land getting developed and they're encroaching on their territory.  I find that sad for the wildlife.  

No matter where you live, you're more than likely going to have some kind of issue to deal with: earthquakes, fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding...etc.  Pick your poison!!  :)  

Edited by Chit Chat
  • Like 3
On 6/19/2023 at 7:34 PM, Chit Chat said:

No matter where you live, you're more than likely going to have some kind of issue to deal with: earthquakes, fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding...etc.  Pick your poison!!  :)  

Not necessarily. For instance, in the desert some would say they'd rather get stung by a scorpion than being ripped apart by an alligator. I suppose it's all relative to what you're used to dealing with.

5 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

For instance, in the desert some would say they'd rather get stung by a scorpion than being ripped apart by an alligator. I suppose it's all relative to what you're used to dealing with.

Generally speaking, gators weren't roaming the streets when I was growing up in Fla.  You knew to be careful around ponds or lakes though.  There is a lot of development going on in Fla., which includes developing what once was swap lands into huge subdivisions and shopping, so that's probably part of the problem with the gators, and I don't know if there's been a recent surge in the gator population or not, but you're pretty safe there. 

I'd be more concerned with lightning than gators.  Note to tourists:  stay off of the beach when a storm is approaching!  It's amazing how many will go set up their umbrellas and chairs when those dark clouds start rolling in!  

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
On 6/22/2023 at 6:47 AM, Chit Chat said:

Generally speaking, gators weren't roaming the streets when I was growing up in Fla.  You knew to be careful around ponds or lakes though.  There is a lot of development going on in Fla., which includes developing what once was swap lands into huge subdivisions and shopping, so that's probably part of the problem with the gators, and I don't know if there's been a recent surge in the gator population or not, but you're pretty safe there. 

I'd be more concerned with lightning than gators.  Note to tourists:  stay off of the beach when a storm is approaching!  It's amazing how many will go set up their umbrellas and chairs when those dark clouds start rolling in!  

I live in SC and gators go up in people's yards and garages.  They also cross streets going from one water area to another.  And, oh, the storms!

I wonder how many people who use their lottery win to move to Florida (or any where in the South) eventually move due to the heat and humidity.  It all depends on what people want to deal with: snow or humidity; scorpians or gators; the options go on and on.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I wonder how many people who use their lottery win to move to Florida (or any where in the South) eventually move due to the heat and humidity. 

Probably a few!  I've heard from folks who've visited the south and they wonder how we deal with the humidity.  It's the way I feel about people living where blizzards are a common occurrence.  Much respect to them for dealing with that!  The humidity drains your energy though and people are grumpier when it's 90+ degrees and 80+ humidity!!  

People are still moving in droves to Florida, and if they're getting away from extreme cold, they're probably there to stay!  We're seeing the same thing along the Alabama coast too.  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I live in SC and gators go up in people's yards and garages.  They also cross streets going from one water area to another.  And, oh, the storms!

I wonder how many people who use their lottery win to move to Florida (or any where in the South) eventually move due to the heat and humidity.  It all depends on what people want to deal with: snow or humidity; scorpians or gators; the options go on and on.

Speaking as a Northeasterner, I'd much rather deal with worrying about bears getting into my garage than alligators.  You can scare away a bear, not so much an alligator.  Plus let's not forget the incredible insects in Florida.  There were just 5 cases of malaria reported there, the first in the US in a while.  No thanks.  We can have pretty bad heat and humidity here in the Northeast too (the humidity has been positively "tropical" lately) but at least it's confined to a couple of months out of the year if that.  And lately (knock wood) we haven't had that much snow to contend with in CT and when we do it's usually not insane.  That does depend on where you live.  I wouldn't want to live up near Rochester or Buffalo, NY because of the lake effect snows.  We can be threatened by hurricanes but usually not anywhere to the degree you get in Florida.  So there are more reasons (in my opinion) to like parts of the Northeast better than Florida.  YMMV (your mileage may vary).

I know a couple of people that moved to Florida and moved back to the Northeast because they hated the weather among other things.  

Speaking of the show, there haven't been any new episodes for a while.  Everything they're showing right now is a repeat rebranded as "new" because of extra "factoids" inserted in captions.

• Like 5

Charlene and John won $2 million, a year after their son won $100,000.    They want a 5 bedroom home in the Richmond, VA area.   They want first floor living.    Budget $495k to $525k.   CJ and Noelle met with David and the couple yesterday, today another daughter comes along Ty. 

First home-Kent's Mill, south west of Richmond, $535k, 5 bed 3 bath 2811 sq ft, 1.5 acres, I love the living room, main bedroom on the first floor, with a private deck, and an ensuite that's really nice.  Four bedrooms on the second floor, with another bath. Back deck is wonderful.  Back yard is a little sloping, but that will help with snow melt, and rain runoff. 

Second home- Greenberg Gorge, west of Richmond $449k,  2 acres, 5 bed, 3 bath 3200 sq ft, I love the outside of this one.   Living room is beautiful, dining room is medium size but you can put an extending table right through the door into th eliving room.  Kitchen has mixed metals, brass and dark stainless appliances, back deck is huge.   kitchen looks like an L shape, plus a dining nook with a fireplace.  3 bedrooms plus guest bath on the first floor. Main bedroom on this floor, but the ensuite is kind of small, so David says extend the ensuite and take the small bedroom next to it.   Basement is finished, 2 more bedrooms, and a big bathroom.  Back deck is huge, and lovely.  Back yard is big.  2 fireplaces. 

Third home- Cascade Crest, on a corner lot, new build, a little over budget. $55 bed 3 bath 3500 sq ft, $526k.    Beautiful family room/dining/kitchen combo is huge and beautiful. There is a first floor bedroom with bath, but it's not the main bedroom, and not huge. Main is second floor, big bedroom and bath, ensuite is huge , plus 2 guest bedrooms and bath, backyard is decent size. no fireplace. 

No mention of HOAs or costs. 

They picked #3.   I really liked all three homes. 

John says they'll call David when they get a beach home, and I hope they do.  I love looking for pricey beach homes.  The Houston and NYC man said the same thing, and I hope we get to see beach homes for him also.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really liked all three homes. 

I liked all of them too, but I preferred house #2 with all of the deck space.  The house they chose was lovely, but there wasn't any privacy in the back yard.  David mentioned that they could plant trees, but they take time to grow.  I loved the dark blue siding on house #3, and being a brand-new house was definitely a plus.  They had 3 good choices and I'm happy that they are happy!  They are a lovely family.  

• Like 4

Such a lovely (and lucky) family.  I would have chosen the same house although the show faked me out because I thought they might have gone with house #1.  Maybe I'm just losing my touch, LOL.  

I'm 65 too but with that money I'd pay to have it all done for me.  Life's too short to pass up on a house like that, privacy or no privacy.  They can invest in some bushes or trees.

Speaking of that, my next door neighbors are on a corner lot and finally put in some privacy bushes, although they are about as tiny as can be so it will take several years before they're big enough to provide any privacy.  And at their age I wonder if that was the best idea, LOL.  Perhaps they were doing it on a budget and didn't want to spend on bigger bushes.  Now if I won the lottery I'd have full sized bushes or trees planted.

• Like 2

New episode, Season 14, Episode 14 "Anything You Want in Vermont". Former Long Island residents, Shawn and Claire,  received a family inheritance, and want to buy a property in Vermont.   They want character, and charm.   This is David's first trip to Vermont.  Inheritance is from Shawn's father. 

Wish List-3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2000 sq ft, Budget $600k to $650k, sounds like a great budget, but not in the Killington area. They want land with it. They want a chalet or cabin home. 

I just love the realtor TG Glazer.  He's adorable. 

First house-Goldfinch Gorge. 4 bed 2 bath, 1858 sq ft, on 118.8 acres. $650k.   I love the barn and goats.   I like the ramp and front deck.  Lots of beams, and huge wood work.   Kitchen is nice, well remodeled.  Main bedroom has tons of windows, and a rock wal.  2 bedrooms, a sitting room and a bath is an addition.  Second floor has an adorable room for the baby in a few years.  Barn is huge, and a small studio apartment separate.   The goats are cute, and so are the sheep.  Sheep want nothing to do with David or the couple. 

Second house-Haystack Hills, in Londonderry. 4 bed 4 bath, $645k, 2540 sq ft, almost 2 acres, with 2 pools, a 1970s modern ski chalet.   entry is unique, steps to the main floor, living and u-shaped banquette are huge.  There's a living room, and a family room/den up a few steps. step down to the small indoor pool with a tanning bed next to it.  kitchen is small, and needs work.  main bedroom is huge, ensuite bathroom is bizarre, but workable for now.  Another suite is on the same floor, with another suite for guests.  There's a tennic court, and a nice outdoor pool.   There is a separate 1 room house, don't know if it had a bathroom too.  

Third house-Woodcock Way near Wardsboro, in the mountains.  It's turnkey.  What an amazing house. 4 bed, 4 bath, 3410 sq ft, on a little more than an acre, $650k.  It's a modern wood cabin inside.  First floor has huge rooms, and open floor plan, with a giant kitchen with granite, a huge island.  1/2 bath, and another big bedroom with the en suite-ensuite is spectacular.   Second floor has a game / pool table room, 2 guest bedrooms, sitting room, bath and bonus room. Third floor is huge bedroom/sitting room, ensuite.   Exterior has a big fire pit, picnic area.  

They bought #2.  What an adorable, quirky house.   I would have bought #3, with the beautifully finished kitchen.   I'm wondering if Haystack Hills will be a good long term investment?   

They give David real maple syrup.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5

That was unique. A nice couple but I couldn't stand her voice. Not sure I would have picked that one. Take the first house with its original details and put it on the property of #2. I nodded off a bit so didn't see #3.

• Like 1

#3 was boring and seemed more modern so I expected them to pick that one.  I was pleasantly surprised when they picked #2.

I liked the look of it outside, and I think it'll be a cute, unique house once it's renovated.  I really want to see what they do with it.  Do they keep the inside pool? 

I liked #1 too but that's a lot of acreage. 

• Like 2

I liked house #1 with the 118 acres.  House #2 was a hodgepodge of design and stairs!  I did not like the style of that house, at all.  I would've turned the car around in the driveway!  I'm glad they're happy with it though.  

• Like 2

"The Wizard of Cape Coral" Season 14, Episode 13.   

Won $2 million on a Powerball (minus the Powerball number), Angie and Tony moving from the mid-west, Indiana,  to Cape Coral, FL (near Fort Myers, on the west side of Florida).  September 2022 was Hurricane Ian, a Category 4.   Still a lot of houses with blue tarp roof, and all kinds of damages.  I love the giant shrimp cocktail plus drink. 

This will be interesting to see how Hurricane Ian affects his two other winners who bought there, one owns a restaurant and a house.    I'm sure the aftermath of the hurricane caused inventory shortages, and may present a challenge getting homeowner's insurance too. Lots of people living in short term rentals, or seasonal rentals, while they fix their own homes. 

Wishlist-garage, pool or room for a pool, 3 bedrooms 2 baths, $350k to $450k. 

First Home-Seagrape Place, repaired on the inside, only needs a new roof. room for a pool, house is water tight and ready for the roof.  3 bed, 2 bath, 1458 sq ft, $348k, 2 car garage. Inside is perfect, den could be 4th bedroom, open living, dining area, kitchen. Primary bedroom is nice sized, ensuite is nice (except for the vessel sink, I hate vessel sinks). split bedroom plan with 2 bedrooms and a bath on the other side of the home.   Yard is big enough for a future pool.    Biggest house, and only one with a possible 4th bedroom.  Pool would be close to 100k. 

Second Home-Estero Court, smaller home, with a birdcage pool, 3 bed, 2 bath, 1205 sq ft, $424,500. 2 car garage, double front doors, open kitchen dining, living are big.   Kichen is smaller, but still nice. Main bedroom is nice, with a big closet, ensuite is only a walk-in shower, guest bedrooms and guest bath are nice with a tub.  smaller guest rooms, but they're still nice. Tile or laminate throughout the home.  Pool is lovely, and big for a home pool. 

Third Home- Buttonsage Bay, 3 bed 2 bath 1158 sq ft, $345k, 2 car garage, nice living room/dining/kitchen, tile floors, valuted ceiling. She's asking about getting the furniture, so red herring or really their house.  kitchen is nice. Main bedroom, and ensuite is nice.   2 guest bedrooms, guest bath with tub. Screen back patio is lovely, pool is outside the screen room, and I hate that.  

They picked #1 . I would have bought #3, and built a bird cage over the pool. 

They go to the Jungle Bird restaurant, Cape Coral's only tiki bar based resraurant.  I love that name.  It's not the one the previous winner who bought a restaurant and house owns (It's called Cork Soaker, and it's still in business).  Both restaurants look fantastic.  

I'm watching the rerun from Bath, Maine.  Even though I remember what they picked, I love seeing the really old redone house.  It was a museum at one point, and that has a massive number of bedrooms and bathrooms.    Their 'nice to have' list included a heated driveway.   I would have bought the newer house on acreage, with the giant, fenced pool.   

They fooled me, I thought the first house on the acreage would be their choice, but they picked the one right on the water.   I knew they wouldn't buy the third historic home, the former Maritime Museum with eight bedrooms, but I loved seeing it. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2