Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Mika has repeatedly expressed her support for Hillary Clinton and that she will vote for her. Calling Clinton out for things she thinks she's doing wrong does not make her some Trump-loving robot. Short of her going down on Hillary Clinton at the 7 o'clock hour (which would mean Clinton showing up for an interview), I'm not sure how much else she needs to do to prove her Hillary supporting bona fides.

I wonder if they would join Trump TV?

13 hours ago, NextIteration said:

I can appreciate the on-set joy about Bill Clinton's so called gaffe, but what he said is true.  The cliff for the subsidies is really steep and it comes quickly - once you go over it you go from making a relatively small contribution to paying for the whole thing, with growing co-pays and deductibles.  It's sort of like when you leave a job and go on COBRA, and it is pretty crazy.  I don't agree that it was a slam against Obama like the MJ crew is trying to push, I think that Clinton just acknowledged the biggest flaw in the ACA, I know I saw it when the proposed income chart was made public.

The show used to have Zeke Emmanuel on as a guest to discuss Obamacare. It's surprising that they haven't discussed Trump's health care plan vs Hillary's health care plan. It's easier to focus on Clinton or Johnson's gaffes.

4 minutes ago, 33kaitykaity said:

Oh, wouldn't that be lovely???  Then we could have Joy and maybe Kornacke -- you pick your favorite dude -- on in the morning!!

A few years ago, I was hoping that NoraO Donnell &  Willie Geist would take over Morning Joe.

• Love 4

Now that Norah's gone to CBS, I would throw out the name Chris Jansing but I think she's a reporter's reporter, she's always out on the field doing real reporting and not just bloviating.

But unless Trump TV is willing to pay $8 million/year to Joe (an obscene salary), he ain't budging.

• Love 3

It's surprising that they haven't discussed Trump's health care plan vs Hillary's health care plan.

It's not surprising at all. Trump doesn't have a health care plan. Nothing to discuss.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, shok said:

It's not surprising at all. Trump doesn't have a health care plan. Nothing to discuss.

It could be a short discussion: "Repeal Obamacare and let insurance companies compete across state lines (which they already do)."

It would be great if Joe and Mika went to Trump TV and took Halperin with them. And Harold Ford. Actually, I'm tired of Nicole Wallace and Michael Steele too.  I think Chris Jansing and Peter Alexander could co-host well or sub Joy for Chris or make it three like at CBS This Morning. It's such a good idea, so well positioned, but Joe and Mika are just so awful, especially when you think of others in the MSNBC stable who are smarter, more telegenic and much better journalists--cuter, too!  (Reed, Jansing, Alexander, Snow, Roberts, Hall, etc.)

• Love 6

Thursday mini recap. Joe is wearing a navy blue sweater. Mica is wearing a black sweater with a new red unitarian scarf. They briefly mentioned the hurricane. Donnie said Trump could do well by flying around the devastated areas. Hillary will stay in her bunker. They showed a commercial with young women & Trump's comments about weight, breasts etc. Joe said it was a devastating ad. The new polls show that Hillary is leading by 10 points. Joe said he knew that would happen & congratulated himself for being right. He said if Trump has a good debate, the race will be tied again. They also discussed Bill Clinton's opposition to Obamacare. There are no subsidies for hard workers. The panel is mocking Bill Clinton for telling the truth. They are showing clips of him saying the last 8 years were horrible. Mika is having cramps after watching those clips. Joe is upset at the media for not reporting Bill's attacks on Obama's presidency.

Willie said Obama stole the presidency from Hillary in 2008. Donnie said Bill should be removed from the campaign trail.

• Love 4

The best years of the show were when Chris Licht was the Executive Producer.  I enjoyed watching it then. There were interesting guests.

Joe was arguing this morning that Trump has had the most negative press. I disagree. Since she decided to run for President, I haven't seen much positive press for Hillary.  Even when someone compliments her, there is usually a negative edge to it.

Trump is getting more negative press now but earlier the media seemed more excited about covering him. For a very long time I couldn't avoid Trump. Remember the times when MSNBC split the screen to show empty podiums with the hosts constantly saying Trump will be on any minute. Didn't it sometimes go on for an hour! They made it seem like they were waiting for someone extremely important that people were excited to watch. I can't come up with any comparisons because I can't think of anyone I would be that excited to watch.  In those days, Trump called into Morning Joe almost every day.

During the primaries, we (my family) kept wondering why they focused almost exclusively on Trump. Why did they broadcast his events but not many of those of the other candidates?  There was no equal coverage of other candidates. It was all Trump all the time.  For a time after the primaries, the focus seemed to be more on Trump than on Hillary.  On this show they would constantly remind the audience that Trump was going to be on an upcoming segment.  This all added up to positive press.

Adding it all up, have the scales tipped yet to Trump getting more negative press overall? It should because of his actions. Joe seems to think it is undeserved.

• Love 13

Joe & Donnie are arguing over whether Trump got negative coverage during the primary. Joe said the coverage was more negative of Trump. Joe is mad at the outrage that journalists have for Trump.

The millenial expert said they are undecided & may stay home in November. They think that Gary Johnson is stoned & ill informed. Hillary is shady but Bill is a Plus. The politico poll showed 51-19 Hillary. Johnson got 9%.

Joe said they will stay on the couch.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Landsnark said:

This show is getting worse at warp speed.  We're all witnessing it.  As a group, can we start a GoFundMe for Willie Geist to write a full, thorough tell-all?  I have to know what's going on behind the scenes.

You said it, Landsnark!  I was wondering last night while watching All In With Chris Hayes and The Rachel Maddow Show how it was possible for Morning Joe to go from zero to suckage in 60 seconds.

How does one go from vociferously acknowledging Drumpf's lack of qualifications and unfitness for the presidency to shilling for him yet again.  I get that Joe was probably optimistic because of the media-driven horse race that had Drumpf rising in the polls.  Joe has always been all about the polls and the perception of the front runner.  But, this mind-boggling nonsense of the last few days has me on edge.  While the show hasn't exactly become the Donald Trump Praise & Worship Hour, but the two co-hosts make it very difficult to watch.  I'm already bracing for the narrative if Drumpf doesn't do well Sunday.

I do take some comfort in knowing that Joe & Meek-a have been called out for their slavish devotion to Drump by other media sources.  So, I know it's just not me.

• Love 4

Joe says race will be tided if trump has a good debate.  LOL

I hope Chris Christie is coaching him.  Then trump will look an innocent voter in the eyes when they ask a legit question and say, "shut up, don't question me!"

• Love 1

I was wondering last night while watching All In With Chris Hayes and The Rachel Maddow Show 

Did I  miss it or did Joe & Mika not bring up The Atlantic  article/endorsement of HRC.  They had so much fun reading his psycho tweets last week I figured they'd get a kick of out how it trashed Trump. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

They discussed the Atlantic endorsement sometime in that 6:30-7 half-hour.

There was also some mention by Rachel of Secretary Clinton being up 2 points in Ohio.  

Since Joe is so obsessed with polls, I wondered if this would be a part of the discussion by the panel today.

52 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

There was also some mention by Rachel of Secretary Clinton being up 2 points in Ohio.  

Since Joe is so obsessed with polls, I wondered if this would be a part of the discussion by the panel today.

After weeks of seeing Joe's focus on Ohio as kind of Trump's firewall, I wasn't prepared for the new Ohio poll. I still haven't seen them talk about it, although I'm guessing Joe will disregard it for some reason or other. HRC ahead in Ohio would be like Trump suddenly being two up in Pennsylvania.  No wonder some MSNBC host (think on MJ but could have been with Todd) said if she's solid in NC then Trump has no path.  If she's solid in Ohio (and currently also leading in Arizona of all places)....

Personally, I think it'll go to the wire and that there is going to be some "October Surprise" from wikileaks, from the Nat Enquirer, and from other Trump allies. But what would MJ do if the horse race they love to cover looked thoroughly over in mid October? Elections I remember looking like that before were all before the 24 hour cable news cycle. I can't imagine how they'd keep covering an election--esp with Steele, Halperin, etc.-- if it looked like a landslide a month early.  (My guess would be to just stop talking about polls, period, because how else would we know?)  If Joe's conversation about polls in October drops off (when the number and frequency of polls themselves is going to be increasing), to me, it'll be a really good "behind the scenes" sign for Hillary.

• Love 1

After weeks of seeing Joe's focus on Ohio as kind of Trump's firewall, I wasn't prepared for the new Ohio poll. I still haven't seen them talk about it, although I'm guessing Joe will disregard it for some reason or other.

Nope. I actually watched the show today. I think they led with a discussion of the Ohio poll - if not lead with it, it was in the first 5 minutes.

Just curious, do you watch this show?

43 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Nope. I actually watched the show today. I think they led with a discussion of the Ohio poll - if not lead with it, it was in the first 5 minutes.

Just curious, do you watch this show?

I try, but I usually don't last through it all. I was glad to see Donny this a.m. Then, of course, Joe had to be "funny" with an insult. Donny tried to tell about how he'd been on "The Apprentice" three times in the context of the challenges and started to reference the article this week about Trump's sexism with the women, beginning, "If you spend any time with him, you know he -does- talk a lot about women" but Joe cut him off instead of asking for some stories.

I'd do a lot better watching it if Joe and Mika weren't the hosts. I find them both exceptionally annoying, but there's not a lot on when you're working at 3 a.m.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Mumbles said:

They discussed the Atlantic endorsement sometime in that 6:30-7 half-hour.

Oh good.

They talked about it when viewer numbers are especially high. :::eyeroll:::

I am unable to make it through an entire MJ. My eyes roll, I groan, I yell at the tv, I yell at my husband and the cat runs away and I click to another channel. In the car I yell at the radio, I consider banging my head on the steering wheel and I change stations. I think I'm usually good for about 15 minutes at a time. 

So, thanks to all for reporting in! This ain't the only show I mainly watch vicariously through PTVers. 

• Love 8

I don't record it. I try to set the cable on it when I go to bed so in the morning I can rewind the DVR and catch the last hour or so (West Coast it is off by 6 am PST). 

If Kelly Ann is on spouting her normal gibberish, I FF through it. Half the time I jump ahead if Joe is going off on his rant.  Only if I can't sleep do I get the first hour.

• Love 1

David started a thread for me that I had asked about starting (name included) in the "Genre" section titled "The 24hr News Grind". I asked beforehand because I didn't want to start it then have it be deleted not long after. Seems like some of the other shows on various networks need their own boards too now so watchers can have more in detail discussions. Going to be a PITA hopping from one to another to do this instead of having the convenient one stop network threads though.

• Love 7

I requested a board for AM Joy, not sure it will happen though.

It was so nice this morning to see Me-eka sneering about politicizing a hurricane.  Shame on Clinton for requesting an extension for voter registration in FL, and oooh, the unmitigated nerve to have an ad buy (these things don't happen spontaneously - they are planned in advance) on the Weather Channel.  I love Sam Stein, that is all.  Back to coverage of Matthew...

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 10
10 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

Shame on Clinton for requesting an extension for voter registration in FL, and oooh, the unmitigated nerve to have an ad buy

Sourpuss Mika can go back to her lemon grove and suck them to her hearts content.  All HRC has to do is win the states that the Democrats have won in the last six elections, plus Florida, and she wins, so FL is pretty important for her.    When I see hurricanes heading for FL now, I'm worried that The End Is Near for so many communities close to sea level.  I lived in FL for 15 years from '79-94.  It used to be said that you only had to worry about the hurricanes in the early part of the alphabet.  Global Warming has changed that, 

• Love 3

There was a lot of right wing noise yesterday about Clinton having an ad buy on the Weather Channel.  It's hard to believe that horse shit nonsense would be repeated by Mika.  She WORKS IN TELEVISION, and doesn't understand it at all.  "Stunningly superficial."

• Love 7

It was so nice this morning to see Me-eka sneering about politicizing a hurricane.  Shame on Clinton for requesting an extension for voter registration in FL, 

Yeah seeing as how Scott is the head of a Trump SuperPac.  Funny how in Mika's mind,  it's only HRC that is politicizing the hurricane. 

Nothing could possibly go wrong in Florida in a presidential election. 

• Love 7

There was a lot of right wing noise yesterday about Clinton having an ad buy on the Weather Channel.

It was also on Politico, CNN too.  

I can imagine why someone can view the idea of taking advantage of an increased audience watching a weather channel to determine when and whether to leave their homes as a destructive storm heads their way as cynical, but seriously I do think this is a YMMV situation. And I also wouldn't have characterized Mika as sneering, but I dont hate her, and again, YMMV.

1 hour ago, NextIteration said:

(these things don't happen spontaneously - they are planned in advance)

The buy was done a few days ago.

Not extending the voter registration deadline is problematic. If only for the cynical reason that it creates an issue on appeal (for either side) if this thing gets litigated. Good lord please don't let that happen .

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Yeah seeing as how Scott is the head of a Trump SuperPac.  Funny how in Mika's mind,  it's only HRC that is politicizing the hurricane. 

Nothing could possibly go wrong in Florida in a presidential election. 

Oh, you mean like long lines of people waiting for hours(!) to exercise their right to vote?  Funny how that works in a state known for its shenanigans when it comes to voting.

• Love 1

Wouldn't  people in FL probably watch local news more than the Weather Channel, to find out what was going on in their immediate area, as to whether they should get the hell outta Dodge? 

When we have bad weather here, I don't turn on the Weather Channel.  I would imagine people in other parts of the country are turning on the Weather Channel, if only to see Jim Cantone try to stand up against a 120 mph head wind.

I don't think at this point people in FL give a rat's ass about HRC or Trump. They care that they have a home to come back to.

If I'm a media consultant for anyone, and I know there's going to be people watching a certain channel, say the Super Bowl, etc. I'm buying ad time there.  It only makes sense.  

• Love 2

A big political ad buy on The Weather Channel in advance of a major weather event versus potentially disenfranchising thousands of affected residents who might be cut off from the ability to register by the deadline....hmmm....what's more "deplorable," Mika?

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

So it appears we have a political tit for tat.

Ordinarily you are right, however - buys are done some time in advance. This was a surprisingly quick buy.

A big political ad buy on The Weather Channel in advance of a major weather event versus potentially disenfranchising thousands of affected residents who might be cut off from the ability to register by the deadline....hmmm....what's more "deplorable," Mika?

Mika seemed concerned about the deadline not being extended. And the issue was discussed in some detail and comparisons made to how Hurricane Sandy created a similar mess.  Did you watch the show? This was around midway of the first half hour if you want to watch it on the website.

But in any event it is quite possible to be disgusted by a cynical ad buy and alarmed about disenfranchisement, at the same time. And Mika seems to be both.

2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Wouldn't  people in FL probably watch local news more than the Weather Channel, to find out what was going on in their immediate area, as to whether they should get the hell outta Dodge? 

I live in the Orlando area and was directly affected by the hurricane and pretty much watched the Weather Channel until my power went out.  The local news can't hold a candle to it.

Anyway, back to show talk please.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

Mika seemed concerned about the deadline not being extended. And the issue was discussed in some detail and comparisons made to how Hurricane Sandy created a similar mess.  Did you watch the show? This was around midway of the first half hour if you want to watch it on the website.

But in any event it is quite possible to be disgusted by a cynical ad buy and alarmed about disenfranchisement, at the same time. And Mika seems to be both.

Yes, I watched the show. As I do every day. And I have a different opinion than yours.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, NextIteration said:

We have had Enough!

Keith takes down many, but includes Scarborough as a collaborator.  

Great link! I really liked some of the comments.  Monday with Joe and Mika will be so interesting--post video, post townhall.  Will they go to Trump tower this weekend and still be kept "in pocket"? Or, as is more likely, will Joe (once again) claim he's got all this integrity and has to separate himself from the nominee (again)?

I'm hoping they'll have Donny back and let him tell the stories about Trump's behavior with women on the Apprentice, stories he began but which Joe cut off last week.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Padma said:

Monday with Joe and Mika will be so interesting--post video, post townhall.  

For the first time ever I woke up wishing that Saturday was a Morning Joe day. Probably 'cuz I went to bed wishing the same.

I'm guessing awkward at best.

I thought I heard Donnie doubling down on his, "In my personal interactions he never ..."  (paraphrase) just this morning but I could easily be confused.

• Love 2