Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Joe said the USA was wrong to pull 2500 troops out of Syria. Chris Murphy said the USA should not have put 100,000 troops in Syria to defeat Assad.

Mika could have discussed her dad's key part in the USA supporting the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan to defeat the Soviet Union.

It was a very subdued discussion today. Is Joe drinking decaf ?

I was pleasantly surprised by Joe being rational for thirty minutes.

That's all for now. Baseball awaits on Jackie Robinson Day !

• Love 3

whoa they are all super stressed and tense this morning, are they all in a fight or something. It's moving so fast I'm getting whiplash 

grateful for Keisha Blaine though. Also Hamlet is actually making sense this morning

ETA: omg there is definitely some drama, there hasn't been a single Joe/Willie/Mika interaction.

ETA 2: yay Elise is here! with badass bookshelves, filled with actual real books. take note, Hamlet. tbh I automatically distrust any human who doesn't own books

Edited by neona
  • Love 4

Jim Jordan tries to chew up Dr. Fauci like it’s 2020.  

Mika’s analysis: “That’s so rude.”

Mika’s deeper analysis: “That’s very rude.”

Mika’s root cause analysis:  “Does he get more—-*clicks*—-by being so rude?”  

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

omg wtf, Joe was so fucking rude to a SITTING CONGRESSMAN. it's totally ok to have a different opinion, but maybe be.... polite about it?

this format sucks so much!! Why can't we have Joe and Mika back together again on the show, for balance? i'm so sick of this apotheosis of Joe with no pushback. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Today's show is too much to process. Congressman Maloney and Claire Bloom are lying liars who lie and Joe once again conveniently forgets what he himself was spewing four years ago. Mika remains unwavering from her usual routine, unable to recall the name of her state attorney neighbor who is on the show almost every other day.

ETA: does Joe not have a mute button or was he intentionally pretending to cough up a long off-camera when Mika was talking?

Edited by chick binewski
All the hacking
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, chick binewski said:

Mika remains unwavering from her usual routine, unable to recall the name of her state attorney neighbor who is on the show almost every other day.

I caught that! I guess she was mentally exhausted after reading that seemingly endless list of poll results.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

I guess she was mentally exhausted after reading flailing through that seemingly endless list of poll results.

Fixed it for you!

Joe was insufferably rude to my gay congressman boyfriend Sean Patrick Maloney. He is getting rightfully dragged on Twitter.

Edited by Eliot
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, neona said:

omg wtf, Joe was so fucking rude to a SITTING CONGRESSMAN. it's totally ok to have a different opinion, but maybe be.... polite about it?

this format sucks so much!! Why can't we have Joe and Mika back together again on the show, for balance? i'm so sick of this apotheosis of Joe with no pushback. 

Joe was well behaved for the first part of the show yesterday. I prefer that to "angry Joe ". However, "angry Joe" is much better at generating publicity for the show.

I preferred watching the show when guests were allowed to challenge Joe in a studio.

Joe is very thin skinned. He is 14 years older than when the show started & is less able to tolerate different opinions. I notice the same changes in behaviors with some of my older relatives. They don't like to debate issues & prefer to spout opinions that can easily be proven to be wrong.

Mika & Joe don't like sitting together anymore because they would have to stay together for the entire show. The current format allows Joe to disappear for any parts of the show that bores him. It doesn't look as bad as if they were sitting together at a desk & Joe got up to leave numerous times during the show.

Joe has responded to his critics on twitter for his "debate" with Congressman Maloney.

https://twitter.com/JoeNBC/status/1383044622239338496

• Love 6

I still think maybe one of the reasons they sit "apart" is so they can claim two home offices on their taxes.  But Oakville, You Are So Right! regarding Joe being able to disappear for chunks of time when they sit apart.  And the network tolerates this. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Here' how I found out about Joe's latest rant.

I agree with her. And as to Joe's response, that's a case of revisionist history. That wasn't a debate. If your guest calls it a rant in the middle of the interview, then yes, it's a rant.

On 4/16/2021 at 8:54 AM, neona said:

I don't believe that exchange would have happened if both of them were in studio like in the old days. Joe wouldn't be able to go on twenty minute rants if he had guests in studio. Joe also wouldn't be able to walk away when he is bored if they were in studio.

I understand that the pandemic has changed how these types of shows are done. But they were in the Florida bunker before that.

I think @oakville nailed it as to why they have "separate" desks. In addition, the tighter shot makes it easier for Joe to get away with wearing shorts.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, Kemper said:

I still think maybe one of the reasons they sit "apart" is so they can claim two home offices on their taxes.  But Oakville, You Are So Right! regarding Joe being able to disappear for chunks of time when they sit apart.  And the network tolerates this. 

I believe Mika & Joe still sit next to each other at the big desk they have. Occasionally, Mika's hand will go from her screen to Joe's screen. Thus, they are right next to each other.

It's possible that Mika need to be off screen when Joe is talking, so the producers can explain to her off camera the various complicated words that she will have to read on the TelePrompter.

Mika struggles with remembering how to pronounce names, places, titles like President.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika struggles with remembering how to pronounce names, places, titles like President.

In fairness, I had trouble, too, for the last four years, saying the word "President."

• LOL 8

If I am looking at Soledad O’Brien’s comment correctly...the truly best part is her spelling Mika’s (better known here as Meeka) name incorrectly.  That has got to burn. So sorry I missed the fireworks.

Also there really was no balance when The Twins appeared together back in the studio days.  It has always been his show, his opinions; she has always been window dressing.

Edited by Kemper
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

If I am looking at Soledad O’Brien’s comment correctly...the truly best part is her spelling Mika’s (better known here as Meeka) name incorrectly.  That has got to burn. So sorry I missed the fireworks.

Also there really was no balance when The Twins appeared together back in the studio days.  It has always been his show, his opinions; she has always been window dressing.

Mika & Joe did have some different opinions on issues prior to the Trump Presidency.

Joe did badger Mika on a regular basis.

• Love 4

I don't watch this show as much as I used to mainly because of Joe's bloviating, I just check in here for comments.  However, I tuned in this morning and Mika was trying to read the teleprompter and she pronounced "rebuffed," "reboofed."  What is wrong with her? 

I switched to CNN.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

What is wrong with her? 

Mika being Mika. When will MSNBC realize she is a detriment to the show? Probably when they realize that the whole show is a black eye for the network. I wonder how their ratings were today now that CNN has re-booted the morning show.

I saw just a few snippets: clicked off when I saw Donny as an esteemed panelist and again when I saw Richard Haas, who for some reason has 4 world globes behind him; I guess so we remember he knows global stuff. 

• Love 6

Randomly,

They look like undertakers, so drab and dreary. Over at CNN last week one of the goodby segments was an extended look at how camerota and berman tried to coordinate wardrobe each day. Yes, fluff, but color! All those smart people that invented color tv and these 2 show up in blacks and greys.

As dry as store-brand saltines. They should never have let those 2 exist in boxes in the first place. Then, covid, and, all of a sudden, what visionaries they were, and it was an easy pivot to all boxes. Now it's way past time to think outside the box. Even the few times Willie's had sharpton or barnicle at his table in NY, it becomes more engaging. Even barnicle.

• Love 9

Because of the exhausting yelling on Friday I decided (for sanity) on this crappy monday to go on a "joe-break" and watch on a time-lag and just skip ahead to watch the Mika parts (Willie wasn't there)....buuuut discovered with just the Mika parts it only took me 27 minutes to get thru the *entire* 3-hr show... who, who would accept this shit? being transitioned from *fulltime* cohost to being there like...1/6th of the show? for reasons no one has ever explained (except possibly joe thinks we're all in love w his magnified real!close face, which, in the a.m., no...just no.) I can't even. well, on the bright side, at least hopefully Willie will be back tomorrow!

Anyhoo, so then I had to go back and watch the rest to get you know, the bulk of the news and I have to say at least the Van Cliburn segment was a genuine highlight....i had never even heard of this!! and I looked it up on youtube, and it's AMAZING, here is the complete White House recital:

I skipped most of the Rachmaninoff bc tbh Rachmaninoff exhausts me, but the Brahms at 4.40 mins and Debussy at 19.30 mins are definite highlights and at 31 mins he actually sings in Russian LMAO. The whole thing is freakin incredible.

Agghh every time i wanna give up on this show they do something weird and interesting like this. ....but also those moments are so few and far between these days, it's depressing 😞

• Love 3

I think Mika has proven that even 27 minutes is much too long for her. If she or Joe wanted her to have more airtime, I'm sure she'd have it. She's not capable and Joe knows it and I don't think she wants to work any harder than she already doesn't.

• Love 6

Did anyone see Joe and Mika's "debate" about whether vaccinated people should wear masks?  Joe said that there is no reason for a vaccinated person to wear a mask.  Mika took the opposite position and said she sides with Dr. Fauci.  How fresh and exciting it was to watch Joe and Mika banter.  Their chemistry is off the charts.

Willie read a headline from the Washington Post indicating that Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick's cause of death was reporter as natural causes. It is very tragic and sad.

Mike Barnicle commented on the findings, insisting that he knows that Officer Sicknick was assaulted.  Is Barnicle a medical examiner now?   He essentially refused to accept the DC medical examiner's report.   Why do they let this known fabulist continue to appear on the show?  He is the absolute worst that the media has to offer.  He seems to think that he knows everything.  It is like a Boston asshole version of Joe.

Edited to add, this is not a slam on Boston (which I love), just Barnicle!

Edited by nittany cougar
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I have been turning to CNN’s morning show more and more lately. There is no bloviating and the hosts, especially the replacement for Alyson C (I liked her, too) are engaged. It has gotten to the point where it is almost no fun to poke at The Twins.  Almost.  And there is no rerunning the first half hour.  On a news show...on a major news network.  Even most of the regular guests seem bored.

• Love 7

i thought the discussion on classics was really interesting and important, buuuuuut also the entire panel was entirely composed of six men lol... given the subject matter that blindspot was uhhhh a lil ironic.

Soooo where were the female academics this child of morning, rosy-fingered dawn?? busy at their looms?

Also, Mika's "thank you Dr Scarborough, Dr Confessore" ahahahaha the shade *chef's kiss*

ETA: just to clarify, I love the Odyssey and am perfectly capable of appreciating it in context without losing my mind about the bigotry and misogyny, my point was more that women also *read*, and should have a voice in this debate?! ffs

Edited by neona
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

Did anyone see Joe and Mika's "debate" about whether vaccinated people should wear masks?  Joe said that there is no reason for a vaccinated person to wear a mask.  Mika took the opposite position and said she sides with Dr. Fauci.  How fresh and exciting it was to watch Joe and Mika banter.  Their chemistry is off the charts.

Willie read a headline from the Washington Post indicating that Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick's cause of death was reporter as natural causes. It is very tragic and sad.

Mike Barnicle commented on the findings, insisting that he knows that Officer Sicknick was assaulted.  Is Barnicle a medical examiner now?   He essentially refused to accept the DC medical examiner's report.   Why do they let this known fabulist continue to appear on the show?  He is the absolute worst that the media has to offer.  He seems to think that he knows everything.  It is like a Boston asshole version of Joe.

Edited to add, this is not a slam on Boston (which I love), just Barnicle!

In fairness to Joe and Mika, the messaging on vaccinated people needing to mask is very terrible. Someone from the administration needs to come out and say, "Everyone will still need to mask until three things happen: 1. 70-80% of the eligible population in the US is vaccinated; 2. Transmission rates are below X%; and 3. We have clinical data showing the vaccines are X% effective on the variants."

Barnicle is correct in that Officer Sicknick was assaulted. There is video of him taking blast after blast of bear spray to his face. But I agree he *is* a fabulist! (great word, btw)

I didn't watch the show today, but I noticed yesterday Mika had a guest on whose name was "Melissa" and she addressed her as "Michelle." She stammered an apology during the interview. I honestly think there might be something wrong with her.

Edited by Eliot
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, neona said:

i thought the discussion on classics was really interesting and important, buuuuuut also the entire panel was entirely composed of six men lol... given the subject matter that blindspot was uhhhh a lil ironic.

Soooo where were the female academics this child of morning, rosy-fingered dawn?? busy at their looms?

Also, Mika's "thank you Dr Scarborough, Dr Confessore" ahahahaha the shade *chef's kiss*

ETA: just to clarify, I love the Odyssey and am perfectly capable of appreciating it in context without losing my mind about the bigotry and misogyny, my point was more that women also *read*, and should have a voice in this debate?! ffs

I missed Nick Confessore? 🤨

Just now, Kemper said:

I did see the last part of Meeka’s interview with Maisie Hirono...who I happen to love.  Towards the end, Meeka had to mention KYV.  All successful women are props to this vanity project that the network allows.

6 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Kemper how could you miss Nick Confessore....not gonna lie he's one of the few who can make the pandemic!beard! thingy work....damn

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Missed parts of this morning so catching up, aaaaand this week in Splitscreen! history: Joe and Beschloss casually chat about Joe reading Dr Brzezinski's diaries and talking to Mika's brother... Mika tries to interject to speak, you know, about her *own family*, but is kept off-camera *the entire time*. I still can't believe she's not livid about this separate setup shit, it's still weird AF

On a positive note, at least Angus King was on point...though a lil jaded? I just don't know how to interpret these cutesy bipartisan aspirations, are they for real, or going thru the motions??

• Love 2
On 4/17/2021 at 7:23 AM, oakville said:

I believe Mika & Joe still sit next to each other at the big desk they have. Occasionally, Mika's hand will go from her screen to Joe's screen. Thus, they are right next to each other.

It's possible that Mika need to be off screen when Joe is talking, so the producers can explain to her off camera the various complicated words that she will have to read on the TelePrompter.

She continues to say CEE drick instead of CED rick, and AL cin dor instead of al CIN dor.  Can someone please correct her?  Yeah, I know.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I tuned in around 7:45 and there was no Joe.  Any reason given?  Today is a big news day for the morning shows.  I stayed for the 8:00 rerun...and there is John M.  Meeka introduced him and mentioned whatever book he has out.  And he droned and preached on.  But...

I see Val Demings is coming up!  I love her; watched her on CNN earlier.  She never disappoints but I wonder if KYV will be inserted into the convo.  

What I have seen of Show this morning seems subdued - just me? Or maybe we are just used to a Joe shouting.  Surprisingly, I kind of missed his “energy” ... maybe I am misjudging  since I have not seen the entire show.  But Willy seems invested, so there is that. Wait!  Now I am seeing Joe and Joyce Vance.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Kemper said:

What I have seen of Show this morning seems subdued - just me?

I tuned in to see Eddie lecturing so I switched to CNN to check out any actual news and there was some manic guy at "the electronic board of charges and sentencing possibilities" (I guess) going all John King or Kornacki, swooping around, pushing icons...I didn't get the point. Such theater. Ridiculous. The cynic in me thinks the cable folks were secretly hoping for a different outcome from the jury so they could cover the outrage and protests. Thus, they really weren't prepared for a peaceful ending and ended up somewhat low spirited.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

it cracks me up that Joe spent his entire childhood memorizing those baseball stats...and THEN THEY INVENTED THE INTERNETZ, and it was all for nothing!!! But that entire segment was worth it just for the omg-I-married-a-serial-killer expression on Mika's face

I liked Mika's comments re the larger context of Ma'Khia Bryant and how it's not just about policing but also providing resources for child protective services, social services, mental health etc.

I wish they could bring back in some of the actual Russia experts when discussing Navalny and Putin. whatever happened to Natasha Bertrand, Julia Ioffe, Kasparov, Masha Gessen, or even Dr B Mini Me??

• Love 2

I think it is time that Show gave John Meacham and Eddie Glaude a brief break/timeout.  Maybe a couple of others, but I dread these two coming on lately.  I have the same reaction as I do to the "Get Your Wet Teddy Bears" commercial.  Bleeding-gum inducing.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I think it is time that Show gave John Meacham and Eddie Glaude a brief long term break/timeout.  Maybe a couple of others, but I dread these two coming on lately.  I have the same reaction as I do to the "Get Your Wet Teddy Bears" commercial.  Bleeding-gum inducing.

There.  I feel better now. 😁

These two like to hear themselves talk, like my grandma used to say.  There are several others who should be on a break/timeout, but Eugene Robinson should be given a nice sendoff for good.  The man has bumbled and mumbled for years and I swear it boggles the mind that they've kept him around for so long. 

• Love 5

I put on the show this morning and hear how great Trump was to give all that money to companies.  Thank you Joe and willie you got me to work early today.  Not sticking around for that b.s.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, jacourt said:

I put on the show this morning and hear how great Trump was to give all that money to companies.  Thank you Joe and willie you got me to work early today.  Not sticking around for that b.s.  

Apparently, Joe did apologize to viewers before bringing up the success of Operation Warp Speed vaccine development.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/mark-finkelstein/2021/04/22/scarborough-afraid-turning-his-viewers-praising-trump-vaccine

Joe is becoming more humble, because a few months ago, Joe bragged that he was right that vaccines would be needed to reduce the amount of coronavirus cases.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, freddi said:

Yikes, Joe and Willie are REALLY mythologizing the role of Trump and the Pfizer vaccine.  “Trump did a great job ‘picking’ Pfizer in. The Warp Speed Phase.”  But Pfizer took NO Warp Speed funding.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2020/11/09/pfizer-vaccine-funding-warp-speed-germany/amp/  

It's true that Pfizer rejected upfront funding , but I believe that Trump committed the USA to buying millions of Pfizer vaccines before they were developed, so the company felt secure that it would make money once the vaccine was authorized by the FDA.

Joe was worried last year about Trump announcing a Covid vaccine before the election because it could have helped Trump get votes. Joe was concerned that the vaccine wouldn't be effective & it was rushed. Joe praised the pharmaceutical companies for delaying any announcement of vaccine trial results until after the election.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, oakville said:

Morning Joe ratings continue to fall.  Morning Joe is now ranked 116/150 with total viewers below 1 million. Ratings in the key demographic ( 18-49) is now below several segments of Fox & Friends & CNN New Day. 

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-monday-cable-originals-network-finals-4-19-2021.html

I think something may be up; the show is off.  One thing that may be hurting ratings...CNN has gotten better.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Eugene Robinson should be given a nice sendoff for good.  The man has bumbled and mumbled for years and I swear it boggles the mind that they've kept him around for so long. 

I can't agree more. Auto-click off when I see him. He has a voice for writing columns, not retelling them.

• Love 4

Let's send Jonathan LeMire off with Eugene, John M and Eddie G.  While I like him, I am sick to death of him.  Didn't Meeka brag that she and Joe handpicked the "regulars" - stated that they were all from The Island of Lost Toys.  I don't think LeMire and Eddie G were present at the start.

• Love 4

Donny Deutsch this morning...his privileged, bleached teeth, smarmy smiling, over-tanned, status-conscious, branding expert asshole self.  Smugly decrying the relief check "giveaways" to the regular people that would destroy the economy.  Did anyone bring up how much money his smug, icky, pandering-to-the-1%-ers self made from the tax cuts?  His rich cronies?  I don't know because I had to turn it off before my head exploded.  I wish I could think of more adjectives to describe my feelings towards him but I am fresh out of words that are not expletives. Or redundant.  He can brand himself right into a bottomless pit of vipers.  With regulars like this guy, is it no wonder that ratings may be dropping?  Show seems to have forgotten who it's regular viewers (and MSNBC viewers) are. 

Joe...go create a podcast for your and your beady-eyed bombastic self and turn the show over to someone else.  You can do a podcast from bed; no more having to get up at 5 am. Sorry, should not have ranted like this but the plumber had to come back early this morning. We is tired and grumpy.

I have gone back and edited this to add...I am sorry I have been ranting so much on this board lately.  I need a timeout.  The news has gotten to me a bit; it is exhausting and relentless.  Two friends are coming by this afternoon for tea and scones; we are going to watch a couple episodes of Midsomer Murders.  That should calm things right down.  We have also discussed rewatching episodes of Bridgerton over wine and cheese.

Edited by Kemper
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Let's send Jonathan LeMire off with Eugene, John M and Eddie G.  While I like him, I am sick to death of him.  Didn't Meeka brag that she and Joe handpicked the "regulars"

I didn't know she said that, and think she's stretching truth a bit to include herself on this decision, but I do think their close association has ruined their reputations as meaningful pundits or whatever they fashion themselves. I know I'd still click them off if they showed up anywhere else. I see them as just as lazy as the duo; show up, say the same things over and over, repeat. Steady paycheck and ego stroking. Donnie fits nicely into this category, as well. (BTW, I was surprised to see Oprah's Discovery streaming show commercial with her interviewing various members of the look-at-me crowd...and there was Meacham! Ugh. I just don't see his appeal, especially on a show like that.)  

• Love 3

Positives this week: the classics discussion and Mika proposing Steve Rattner as a stoner partner. `Omg can you imagine the charts?!` That may be the first time she's made me laugh out loud.

Negatives: almost everything else. Joe barking about masks without reason, Donny barking about taxation without elucidation (other than "economics!" and "I'll just go over to Fox now") and Mika's gaze of adoration at Joe during his Conservative with a capital C speech on Colbert.

• Love 3

I don't understand Joe and Willie's obsession with not wearing outdoor masks... hoping to get vaxxed in the next 2-3 weeks, but would it kill those who were ahead in the line to show a little respect and solidarity, even if it's mayb not 100% necessary?? everyone's been making adjustments and sacrifices for each other all year, why is it so hard for the vaxxed ppl to just wear the damn mask a few more weeks to get everyone across the finish line?

also Dr Kavita was like, yeah, it's probably not necessary, but also I'm more worried about the people *still dying*, can we focus on that plz, and tbh it made me want to slap willie on her behalf.  

I liked the Colbert clips... evening!mika is so much more relaxed and funny than morning!mika, it's like we get a glimpse again of the energetic pre-trump NYC Mika...also of course it helped that she was actually included in the whole conversation, not conveniently shoved out of frame whenever she disagreed with Joe agggh. And loved loved the Mrs B sculptures in the background..

today's highlight: Professor Greer, Mika and Kasie basically shutting down Donny's pseudo-economics... basically he was all "I feel it in my *gut* that this is too much spending". I usually like Donny, but, dude, "gut economics" is not a thing 🥴

ETA: actually I'm gonna try to get a walk-in shot this weekend!! yay!!

Edited by neona
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I have gone back and edited this to add...I am sorry I have been ranting so much on this board lately.  I need a timeout.  The news has gotten to me a bit; it is exhausting and relentless.  Two friends are coming by this afternoon for tea and scones; we are going to watch a couple episodes of Midsomer Murders.  That should calm things right down.  We have also discussed rewatching episodes of Bridgerton over wine and cheese.

Kemper don't timeout, we love your rants!! I don't even agree 90% of the time but they are funny and interesting all the same. 

post-Bridgerton (RIP Simon) you and your wine friends should watch Outlander on Netflix!! There are like 5 seasons, historical drama, hot guys in scottish kilts. need I say more.