Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

They're doing a segment titled, "What does the Republican party stand for?"  This involves Joe and Clare McCaskill speculating about Senator Joe Manchin and the filibuster.  The problem with this is that Joe Manchin is a DEMOCRAT, even though he sometimes takes conservative positions.  The air is out of the tires on this stupid show.  

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 11
13 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

They're doing a segment titled, "What does the Republican party stand for?"  This involves Joe and Clare McCaskill speculating about Senator Joe Manchin and the filibuster.  The problem with this is that Joe Manchin is a DEMOCRAT, even though he sometimes takes conservative positions.  The air is out of the tires on this stupid show.  

I thought the show would focus on Infrastructure,earmarks, corporate tax rates etc. They could invite guests to discuss those topics, but I doubt Joe or Mika would bother to do some research on the issues.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

While I don't spend more than 10 to 15 minutes watching, if this show was filmed in 35 mm, I would say what a waste of perfectly good celluloid. 

Edited by tres bien
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

I caught the last segment of the show today and it was one of the most surreal moments I have ever seen on this show. And that's saying a lot.

Steven Ratner was lecturing about the ills of income inequality without a single acknowledgement that, as Michael Bloomberg's investment manager, his job is to literally increase that inequality by making a billionaire even richer. According to Forbes, Bloomberg was worth $45 billion in 2016. On the latest list, he's worth $59 billion. A chunk of that increase is presumably because of Ratner's effort.

So, keep talking about increased income inequality Steve. You truly speak from experience.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 8

I could not have said it any better. Best post of the week. 

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I caught the last segment of the show today and it was one of the most surreal moments I have ever seen on this show. And that's saying a lot.

Steven Ratner was lecturing about the ills of income inequality without a single acknowledge that, as Michael Bloomberg's investment manager, his job is to literally increase that inequality by making a billionaire even richer. According to Forbes, Bloomberg was worth $45 billion in 2016. On the latest list, he's worth $59 billion. A chunk of that increase is presumably because of Ratner's effort.

So, keep talking about increased income inequality Steve. You truly speak from experience.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, xaxat said:

Steven Ratner was lecturing about the ills of income inequality without a single acknowledgement that, as Michael Bloomberg's investment manager, his job is to literally increase that inequality by making a billionaire even richer. According to Forbes, Bloomberg was worth $45 billion in 2016. On the latest list, he's worth $59 billion. A chunk of that increase is presumably because of Ratner's effort.

I used to really like Ratner, but he was such a sourpuss about the Rescue & Recovery Act he lost major points with me. Listening to a rich guy who makes other rich guys even richer snark about how the stimulus should have been more targeted so that the so-called "undeserving" wouldn't inadvertently benefit pissed me off royally.

I started watching the Barnicle Brothers' Netflix doc about the Gardner Museum heist, and it is surprisingly engaging.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

I started watching the Barnicle Brothers' Netflix doc about the Gardner Museum heist, and it is surprisingly engaging.

It's good. Normally I'm skeptical about cutesy "art heist" documentaries, because they're either poorly researched, super cheesy or consist mainly of boring interviews with lawyers from Switzerland. But this was actually well-structured and interesting. The vibe was pretty unique, they made it kinda eerie and sad and haunting... which is exactly the right tone IMO because art theft isn't cool, or glamorous, it's depressing as fuck. The music director of this series deserves an award for intuiting this.

IMO there's no greater crime than stealing light and hope and beauty from countless future generations. The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum still keeps the empty frames up for the stolen paintings, and it's a gut punch.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, oakville said:

The article below is an excellent profile of him.

That's a deep dive right there! Thanks for posting that. I loved the dig at his size..."even elfin"...but Rattner's ego is plenty boosted by all that wealth. What is it with money guys and wives with bad behavior? Kevin O'Leary's wife at the helm of the boat that killed two people didn't help his reputation, either. I wonder if Rattner runs the money for the Brz. clan? Or the massive fortune of Mr. and Mrs. Scarborough? We'll never know since disclosure doesn't seem to be a thing with this crowd.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

That's a deep dive right there! Thanks for posting that. I loved the dig at his size..."even elfin"...but Rattner's ego is plenty boosted by all that wealth. What is it with money guys and wives with bad behavior? Kevin O'Leary's wife at the helm of the boat that killed two people didn't help his reputation, either. I wonder if Rattner runs the money for the Brz. clan? Or the massive fortune of Mr. and Mrs. Scarborough? We'll never know since disclosure doesn't seem to be a thing with this crowd.

O Leary is in the process of getting US citizenship. He is a regular guest on CNBC.

I don't know if the Brezezinski's & Scarborough's have enough money to meet the minimum wealth requirements  to be  managed by Rattner.

He was managing $5B of Bloomberg's money.

Joe always brags that he invests his money in dog track racing.

I read in the Today's Birthdays blurb in the paper it's Joe's BD. What did they do? I only saw a bit of the show, with Scott Gottlieb (who showed up about 15min later on CNBC) and Joe's "Breaking News" moment re: Prince Philip.

• Love 1

Friday Mini Recap. I was surprised to see Mika & Joe on set given it is Joe's birthday. Long time viewers remember that Mika & Joe would always have big cakes on the set to celebrate their birthdays.

Mika is appropriately dressed in a green cardigan.

The show began with a clip from Jimmy Kimmel making fun of Trump's press conference on April 8, 2020. Trump thought there would be less than 100K deaths.

Joe started laughing at the clip. It's hilarious that thousands of people died. I don't think it's funny that over 500,000 Americans died, but YMMV

Mika wished Joe a Happy Birthday Sweetie!

I get the sense that Mika & Joe want to pretend that Trump is still President so they can take cheap shots at him. Trump is irrelevant to the current Covid crisis.

Mika told Joe to stop laughing.

• Love 3

Recap continued.

Joe made fun of the Red Sox. Mika shouted about the Mets!

ESPN Joe said the umpire made a mistake in the game between the Marlins & the Mets.

Joe said the Marlins will do better this year.

Heilemann is the special guest. Eugene Robinson & the Elizabeth Mueller.

Joe joked about Eugene writing a column about his performance at the 1987 Masters.

Mika sighed that she hoped Joe wouldn't behave like he was during the entire show.

Mika brought up the Matt Gaetz scandal. It's sex trafficking. Mika was disgusted about Gaetz having sex with 17 year olds.

Joe took off his glasses to talk to Heilemann. Heilemann started laughing at Goldberg's lawyer. Does Heilemann realize that Gaetz's dad is a friend of Joe ?

• Love 3

Joe is worried about Goldberg co operating with the state of Florida.

Heilmann said Joe's birthday celebrations will start after the show. He is shocked that Joe is working today.

Michael Schmidt appeared wearing a sweater. Greenberg will plead guilty to sex trafficking. He will cooperate to get Gaetz prosecuted.

Joe said it is bad to transport 17 year olds across state lines for sex.

Schmidt talked about ghost candidates.

Elizabeth Bumiller said Greenberg has to provide documentation to prove documents. Gaetz's staff is quitting.

Mika read about a former NFL player that killed 5 people. Thi is sad.

• Love 3
(edited)

Heilmann & Joe are excited about a bi partisan consensus outside Washington to support the covid relief plan.

Republicans outside Washington agree with Biden.

Heilmann said guns are a cultural issue.

Joe said he owned many guns & the Brezezinski's own even more guns. Mika said her family likes to hunt.

Joe said everyone loves background checks. Joe is opposed to gun sales from pick up trucks.

Joe said he was right about corruption in the NRA.

Joe supported Justice Scalia in the Heller decision about absolute rights . Mika said wow!.

It seems like whenever Joe says Scalia & Heller, Mika gets aroused.

Edited by oakville
  • LOL 3

Recap continued.

The interview with Jack Goldsmith was interesting. They discussed whether a sitting President can be charged.

A rooster interrupted Michael Schmidt talking from his secret location. Mika told the panel about her favorite roosters in Maine & growing up.

Joe explained the time delay with guests.

Dr Scott Gotlieb showed up. The USA has FULLY vaccinated 20% of the population. It is very impressive.

It will be difficult to deliver vaccines to lower income countries. They don't have fridges.

It is important to vaccinate Mexicans, because it close to the USA.

Joe was worried about packed baseball crowds. Dr Scott schools reopening is affecting the northeast & Michigan.

• Love 3

Dr Scott said a 4th wave won't happen in the USA because 110M have had the vaccine & 130M have been infected, even though cases were at 30M.

There will be a plateau within 4 weeks.

The USA is only diagnosing  1 in 3 cases.

Pfizer is working on vaccines for children aged  12-16

Joe announced the death of the death of Prince Philip. It's an important announcement, so Joe had the read the TelePrompter. Mika moaned a few times while Joe was talking.

Mika laughed at Philip's jokes.

• Love 2

Donny asked Joe what Mila & Joe will do for Joe's birthday.

Will Joe get Alabama ribs ?

Joe is getting a special Boston Red Sox birthday cake.

Joe told Donny he doesn't like going to parties.

Joe is also getting a Derby Pie.

Donny asked if they would play Pin the Tail on the Donkey ?

• LOL 2

It's good that they cut out Joe laughing about 500,000 people dying from Covid at the 8 am repeat of the show.

Katty Kay said that the Duke accepted that he would not be King if he married Queen Elizabeth.

He was a good naval officer. He had to quit to take care of Elizabeth as her consort.

Katty's phone cut off.

Richard Engel has a special on the Capitol Riot. The rioters chased after a black cop that voted for Joe Biden.

Mika interviewed Brooke Baldwin. Mika discussed her KYV community.

Mika said many women support her.

Brooke said it was a honor to be on KYV? What ?

Brooke is leaving CNN. I like her. She own Pugs.

Brooke was happy about the woman's march in 2017 after Trump was inaugurated.

Joe was absent for the interview.

Mika admitted that CBS was her home & never thought she would have to leave the network.

Edited by oakville
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, oakville said:

It is important to vaccinate Mexicans, because it close to the USA.

Joe was worried about packed baseball crowds.

Did they forget about you guys up there, Oakville? I've read several articles in the WSJ about the abysmal vax situation. Just a shame. I hope you're eligible soon.

I was reading the CC when Joe got his serious face on while bemoaning the return of baseball fans. Rich, Joe. Have you unpacked your suitcase yet from the opening day trip to Boston?

1 hour ago, plumbago blues said:

Did they forget about you guys up there, Oakville? I've read several articles in the WSJ about the abysmal vax situation. Just a shame. I hope you're eligible soon.

I was reading the CC when Joe got his serious face on while bemoaning the return of baseball fans. Rich, Joe. Have you unpacked your suitcase yet from the opening day trip to Boston?

Unfortunately, the Canadian government botched the vaccine procurement from Pfizer & Moderna, so we were behind the USA & the UK in obtaining vaccines. The vaccine administration per population has caught up to Germany,France & Italy.

The good news is that more supplies have arrived recently. My wife is getting her first shot next Friday. I have to wait a bit longer since I am younger than her.

Canada should have 70% plus of adults vaccinated with one dose before the end of June. The problem is that the health officials are delaying the second dose for 4 months, so they can get as many people partially vaccinated.

I think Joe was looking for  few good rants this week against "lazy teachers" who wanted to stay home & "Cancel Culture MLB" for moving the game to Colorado from Georgia. His rants fizzled because the guests wouldn't agree with him.

I find it fascinating to see how Joe is trying to get attention with "hot takes" on issues, to increase ratings but no one cares.

Mika was happiest on Friday when she got Brooke Baldwin to join her Know Your Value Network & write articles for Mika's website.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, oakville said:

Unfortunately, the Canadian government botched the vaccine procurement from Pfizer & Moderna, so we were behind the USA & the UK in obtaining vaccines. The vaccine administration per population has caught up to Germany,France & Italy.

The good news is that more supplies have arrived recently. My wife is getting her first shot next Friday. I have to wait a bit longer since I am younger than her.

Canada should have 70% plus of adults vaccinated with one dose before the end of June. The problem is that the health officials are delaying the second dose for 4 months, so they can get as many people partially vaccinated.

I think Joe was looking for  few good rants this week against "lazy teachers" who wanted to stay home & "Cancel Culture MLB" for moving the game to Colorado from Georgia. His rants fizzled because the guests wouldn't agree with him.

I find it fascinating to see how Joe is trying to get attention with "hot takes" on issues, to increase ratings but no one cares.

Mika was happiest on Friday when she got Brooke Baldwin to join her Know Your Value Network & write articles for Mika's website.

I probably need to take my opinion on this to Small Talk.

On 4/7/2021 at 6:41 AM, freddi said:

Oh, Mika.  Near the start of the show she struggled with “Preced... President...Precedents...Presiden.”  I’m still not sure she landed on the intended word.

And she just said “corpseman”, not “coreman” for the “corpsman” in her script.  

This morning (Monday) it was names.  She introduced Ah nah (instead of Ann ah) Palmer and a police expert as CEE cil rather than Cess ul.  Oh, Mika . . . don't ever change.  Oh, wait!  Please do!

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

it cracks me up that joe (who himself wrote a history book...) thinks Charlemagne is a magical time traveler who traveled back in time to attend the Battle of Milvian bridge in 312 AD.... 400 yrs before he was born, in 748 A.D. Dude. the whole burning cross thing he keeps citing was Constantine!! definitely not the same person...

gratuitous beautiful fresco as evidence but also to cheer everyone up on this depressing monday https://www.museivaticani.va/content/museivaticani/en/collezioni/musei/stanze-di-raffaello/sala-di-costantino/visione-della-croce.html

ETA: when you're too geeky, even for the internet *hides in corner* 

Edited by neona
  • Love 2

Mika to John Boehner about January 6:  “If you were serving in the Senate NOW, would you be willing to speak up?”

Holy cow, Mika, he was Speaker of the HOUSE.  You *just* read the title of his book, On the House.

To be fair, someone in her ear told her to correct this a minute later.  

• Useful 1

Mika is “interviewing” (and I use the term loosely) John Boehner about his book, and she gave a long, rambling introduction literally sprinkled with lots of “ummms”  and “ahhhs”before inaccurately referencing his service in the Senate and then finally getting around to her incomprehensible question.

This woman cannot even perform the most rudimentary functions of her job.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, freddi said:

Mika to John Boehner about January 6:  “If you were serving in the Senate NOW, would you be willing to speak up?”

Holy cow, Mika, he was Speaker of the HOUSE.  You *just* read the title of his book, On the House.

Mika should realize that Boehner was Speaker of the House. Did she forget ?

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, freddi said:

She seemed flustered.  And confused.  

Mika's trouble reading the TelePrompter,long winded incomprehensible questions,& flubbing of basic knowledge would make an excellent comedy show.

I am surprised that Mika & Joe don't pitch their show as a parody of cable news broadcasters. Mika could be the female Ron Burgundy .

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, freddi said:

I think Joe mumbled "house" in the moment.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, oakville said:

I am surprised that Mika & Joe don't pitch their show as a parody of cable news broadcasters. Mika could be the female Ron Burgundy .

I think it's time SNL revisit this shit show. The flirtation parodies were hysterically accurate. Mika just made a demo tape for Kate McKinnon to follow. 

• LOL 5
55 minutes ago, Lowcountry snark said:

Did Boehner say anything about the rise of the tea party and the endless Benghazi investigations?  Was he asked?  Did Mika only ask questions or did she crowd source it to the others?

Boehner can take a long walk off of a short pier.  A few years ago I trapped him in an elevator at a very nice resort hotel; Mr. Kemper and I were celebrating our 48th.  When he passed us in the hall I told Mr. K that I was going to try and chat with him in the elevator.  Sadly, we were on the second floor...so I only had a minute to tell him that he was partly to blame for the state our country was in.  Nicely.  He harumphed (sp?). I think he had been attending a conference/meeting/frat party at the resort for marijuana companies or some such.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I wish Boehner's interview had been less gop-apologism and more "joe was a pain in the ass" stories -- i actually wanted to hear those! i'm obviously here for his backdrop of flamingos in Santa hats and Chihuly-style chandeliers but the interview itself was a lil softball imo.

i can't believe Dr Survival Guy forgot the most essential item in his apocalypse backpack list: a wine opener!!!

Anyone who's ever had to do it with a breadknife knows of what i speak

Edited by neona
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, neona said:

I wish Boehner's interview had been less gop-apologism and more "joe was a pain in the ass" stories -- i actually wanted to hear those! i'm obviously here for his backdrop of flamingos in Santa hats and Chihuly-style chandeliers but the interview itself was a lil softball imo.

i can't believe Dr Survival Guy forgot the most essential item in his apocalypse backpack list: a wine opener!!!

Anyone who's ever had to do it with a breadknife knows of what i speak

I will have to recap this how later today. Boehner has a good sense of humor & is a red wine drinker. I will go buy a bottle of red wine in order to do a proper recap.

I have a Swiss army knife with a wine opener. I would never the leave the house without it.

Did Joe bring up that he implied that Boehner was bar hopping at 5 pm, when he was the House Minority Leader in 2010 ? Joe implied that Boehner was lazy & wasn't working hard enough in June 2010.

https://www.politico.com/story/2010/06/scarborough-jabs-boehner-on-twitter-039219

Edited by oakville
  • Love 4

Where is Joe?  Mika's working a face full of bronzer and highlighter.

Al is there to analyze the George Floyd court case.   I would totally watch a show where Al analyzes the Supreme Court.  

Clare McCaskill and Mika talked about the George Floyd case.  Mika wants to know how jurors are blind to the "context of the trial." Mika is really kind of stupid.  She's clearly never participated as a juror. The only context that matters in a trial is the case before the court. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

Mika is really kind of stupid

Another t shirt slogan?!

I watched for a short time while we listened to her read a NYT piece about Gaetz and the sex thing. No surprise that Joe didn't read it but she sure didn't seem comfortable; but then she never does. Her questioning from there was rambling and difficult to listen to. She ought to write down questions in advance rather than freestyle it. But that would be considered show prep and that's not her thing. It would be easier for all involved if she'd take the easy way and just say "Michael, explain your findings" or similar. I clicked away. Was Joe even there? I'd think Mika would be the one in Time Out after yesterday's Boehner interview.

Edited by plumbago blues
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I was a bit confused today about the J&J vaccine - Willie said it was a really small chance, like one in a million, for everyone.... but then Fauci also said all of the cases of the blood clot thingy were women 18-48? So... what is the *specific* risk for women 18-48? Like how many women 18-48 have gotten the J&J, and how many of those had this problem?

just to clarify, i'm so inspired and grateful for the vaxx efforts and also pretty desperate and would definitely and gratefully take any vaccine offered to me... I just wanna know the specifics for my group and what to look out for, if you know what i mean. I'm glad they are being honest about this stuff, for me at least that actually does increase trust FWIW

Edited by neona
  • Love 4

Thursday Recap with wine. I will recap a bit of the show before the baseball game.

The show opened with clips of  President Bush announcing military action against Al Queda training camp in Afghanistan on October 7, 2001.

I remember watching that clip live in Oakville & my American relatives who were visiting for dinner getting worried & having to go back to Buffalo that night. They were worried about the border closing.

Next clip was Obama announcing 33,000 troop reductions in Afghanistan in May 2012. The USA would have no troops by the end of 2014.

Next clip from Trump changing his mind about leaving Afghanistan in August 2017.

Biden announcing in front of the same window as Bush that the USA will leave Afghanistan in September 2021.

Mika was dressed nicely today. Willie & Joe are serious.

Interesting, after the clips, Joe did not go into a long rant about how he was right about the War in Afghanistan.

Protests in Minnesota last night. Joe said Kim Potter should not have shot Duane . She is a veteran police officer.

• Love 3

There was a discussion of the Chauvin trial. Joe is worried about a hung jury.

Katty & Lemire did not comment for the first 20 minutes of the show. Why does the show do this to guests ?

• Love 3

Joe said that Biden was skeptical of staying in Afghanistan in 2008. He opposed Obama increasing troops in Afghanistan.

Lemire said that Trump's treaty with the govt of Afganistan was legal but he will leave by September instead of May.

Lemire admitted some people are worried about the Taliban rolling back women's rights. Could terrorists take over ?

Joe admitted that he cheered when the USA left Iraq but it created  a void filled by Isis.

Joe admitted that the Taliban will be cruel toward women, girls & are Islamic extremists. Isis will go to Afghanistan.

The USA may have to go back to Afghanistan in a few years. General Petreus disagrees with Biden.

Willie said UK troops died in Afghanistan. Katty said the Taliban has not changed since 2001.

The 2500 troops are keeping the peace in Afghanistan.

Joe said Trump was wrong to pull out troops in Kurdistan.

Mika was allowed to speak at 6 32 am. Mika said this has been a long debate. Many people are tired of the USA troops being there for 20 years.

Joe said troops have been in Germany since 1945 & Korea since 1953.

Chris Murphy supports leaving Afghanistan.

He is worried about the Chinese & Russians.

• Love 3