Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

"You think what Trump is doing is bad, well, Clinton was worse!" I think this is going to be my strategy whenever someone doesn't like what I'm doing.

"You think this report is incomplete, well, what about Hillary giving incomplete information about the emails!"

"I may be late to this meeting but what about all of the times Obama was slow to respond to Syria!"

"You call this chaos? It's nothing compared to the Clinton's first 100 days!"

• Love 11

So this morning, Joe was seriously trying to equate the Clinton so-called "Travelgate scandal" with potential Russian collusion with a major-party presidential candidate to interfere with our election process? Did I hear that right?

YOU HEARD THAT RIGHT!!!  I actually snorted shower water out of my nose when I heard that one.  Joe is like a wildly veering car being driven down the freeway by an 11 year old.  To the right--too the left--back again.    Stop it Joe!!!

I think Mika was right to ban KAC.  I saw that Meriam Webster tweeted several times about KAC's incorrect usage of definitions ("Alt facts," "feminism,"--which includes a belief in abortion--WHO KNEW???!!!???,  etc.) The fact that Merriam Webster tweets is just about the most awesome thing I've ever heard in my life.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

YOU HEARD THAT RIGHT!!!  I actually snorted shower water out of my nose when I heard that one.  Joe is like a wildly veering car being driven down the freeway by an 11 year old.  To the right--too the left--back again.    Stop it Joe!!!

I think Mika was right to ban KAC.  I saw that Meriam Webster tweeted several times about KAC's incorrect usage of definitions ("Alt facts," "feminism,"--which includes a belief in abortion--WHO KNEW???!!!???,  etc.) The fact that Merriam Webster tweets is just about the most awesome thing I've ever heard in my life.

I think Mika was wrong to ban KAC. I enjoy the chaos that KAC creates with her appearances. KAC could end up making a dumb statement on Morning Joe that could affect her career. Mika has lost her "women's power " segments on Morning Joe for an unexplained reason. The segments celebrated women who were successful in their careers. KAC deserves credit for helping take control of the Trump campaign & winning the election.

I just don't understand  why they stopped with KAC. That whole bunch is just a gaggle of liars. 

Does anyone believe MJ will dredge up a smidgen of what's left of their journalistic integrity and refuse to book any of Trump's minions until full access is restored to the NYT and other newly banned outlets?

Yeah. Me neither.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Eliot said:

Does anyone believe MJ will dredge up a smidgen of what's left of their journalistic integrity and refuse to book any of Trump's minions until full access is restored to the NYT and other newly banned outlets?

Yeah. Me neither.

Well, I can't even think back when the last time they *had* booked one, to be honest. They usually just book GOP senators who carry the administration's water.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Well, I can't even think back when the last time they *had* booked one, to be honest. They usually just book GOP senators who carry the administration's water.

In the early days of the Obama administration they used to have key members of the Obama administration on as guests. Axelrod, Valerie Jarret, Gibbs. Now..... ?

Catching up with Friday's show. Joe floated an interesting theory that Trump is playing the role of a "madman" but is surrounded by reasonable generals who are running the foreign policy. It's a good cop bad cop routine.

Joe was upset at Trump insulting allied countries and their leaders. There will come a time when the USA & Trump needs a foreign leader to help out the USA.

Joe said that Mike Murphy was a key GOP Strategist who argued that the GOP always had a populist wing but the establishment GOP wing always beat them in elections.

Joe said that George W Bush would beat Trump in a debate. Joe said no other GOP candidates stood up to Trump last year during the primaries.

Joe said that no one punches back at Trump.

Joe said that Trump's cabinet is very conservative. It's like Hoover. That did not end well since the stock market crashed 1 year later.

Joe said that no one in Middle America cares about the palace intrigue in the White House. Joe said voters in the Midwest want good jobs. Posh Katty said infrastuctre jobs are important for Trump's blue collar base.

Joe said the Clinton administration was in chaos for 2 years. Stephanopoulos was a disaster & called the FBI to protect Clinton

• Love 1

Monday recap. Joe is off. I missed the first 40 minutes. Michael Steele had a heated argument with Marc m

over vouchers for inner city schools. Everyone was happy with Ivankas business panel. Ivanka likes small business entrepreneurs. Mika's daughter tutors kids in inner cities with .4 gaps.

What was with all that huffing and puffing Steele was doing while Morial was speaking? That was so weird and unprofessional.

I feel sorry for Sean Spicer if he's really the good guy that everyone says he is, but there comes a time when you have to make a decision about the job you're being asked to do. Whatever he thought this was going to be at the beginning, it must be clear to him at this point who he is working for and what's expected. Either stop looking so "pained" or quit. There are other jobs.

• Love 7

The footage of the Geist family cheering when Willie's sister won was lovely. Good to see Bill Geist, I'm a fan from his CBS days and he's been dealing with Parkinsons the last few years.

Every time I hear one of these Beltway people say "But Sean Spicer (or fill in the name of the flack of interest) is a good guy" I wanna tear my hair out. DC is such a company town. The reporters and the reporteds all send their kids to the same schools, socialize at the same bars, etc. Who cares what he's like as a person. 

• Love 6

Every time I hear one of these Beltway people say "But Sean Spicer (or fill in the name of the flack of interest) is a good guy" I wanna tear my hair out. 

Agree. 

I didn't know Willie's sister was involved with the OJ movie.  It is absolutely riveting. Good for her!! 

• Love 4

Tuesday Recap. Mika & Joe are in Washington & all dressed up. Mika is wearing a fancy black & white scarf. Joe is wearing a suit. Exclusive guests are Halperin & Tom perez & Mika's daughter's employer Elijah Cummings. Fox & Friends has an exclusive interview with President Trump. Joe wants Trump to have a softer tone & be nicer to everyone. Mika & Joe said that Trump is very gracious in Private. Even Craig Melvin agreed. Joe said Trump wants more support with African American Americans & Hispanics. Joe did not like the inagural address. He wants the speech from Saturday.

Joe's hair is puffier than usual. Joe is mad at Lenin. He wanted to destroy the administrative state.

NBC showed the polls where Trump & the GOP is more popular than the Democrats & Nancy Pelosi

Mika & Joe are mocking Bannonism. Joe said that Trump was an economic nationalist before Bannon. Joe said Trump can win the midwest without Bannon's nasty tone. Mika mocked Trump's approval ratings at 44%. Joe reminded the panel that he was popular in Congress.

I was listening to the part of the show with the Republican representative (the Freedom Caucus guy). I could barely understand him. He was mumbling but at the same time speaking in a super-speedy voice. Very hard to listen to. But I was really annoyed with his assertion that everyone will be better off when the ACA is repealed. Yes, Mika and (maybe) Halperin asked him about it, and he just kept speed-mumbling the same thing. It seemed as though Joe ended the conversation. Then they went on to talk about how much better Trump is doing that anyone else (according to a recent poll).

Some days this show irritates me so much (the bloviating, the preening, etc.). Today it just depressed me. 

Edited by Jordan Baker
Autocorrect doesn't like "Mika".
  • Love 2

I thought Monday's show was fairly good - the show and Mika are so much better when Joe isn't there.  I thought Mika did a fairly good job as the host - unlike Joe who always interrupts or shouts over others.

I only last 15 minutes this morning because today we have Joe back on the trump train.   Seriously, Joe is a man without any convictions or principles.

• Love 2

Mika cut loose on the Trump administration today, and I really appreciated it.

thought Monday's show was fairly good - the show and Mika are so much better when Joe isn't there

I thought it was just me imagining it. We'll see how long it lasts with Joe back. 

15 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe is mad at Lenin.

This cracked me up. That's about the level of complexity on display here during our morning session of Mean Girls. Joe is sooo Gretchen Weiners. WE SHOULD TOTALLY JUST STAB CAESAR!!! 

15 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe's hair is puffier than usual.

Maybe because Jeremy Peters was on the show and god forbid someone outdoes Joe's hair. But I think Peters needs to wear his glasses when he's picking out a tie - I don't notice ties in general, but ye gads, that was a hideous swamp shade of green. Also, he tried about six times to interject when Blow was bloviating before going back to circling stuff on his papers ("pick up hair goo [circle] and Starbucks [circle] after show"). Has he not learned by now?

However, once he finally got a minute, I, too, needed a vomit catcher because the idea of Bannon and tRump in some sort of "My Fair Lady" situation where Bannon coaches him into being some kind of refined intellectual? Er....Steve? He's only "like a smart person," remember? Dude does not read.

Mika was cracking me up. "THANKS, Steve." Ha ha ha.  Gosh, I so enjoy Mika's morning read-alongs. I love having a slab of text on screen as she reads it. Riveting viewing, that. 

Also, lighting crew needs to change things up. The oh-so-special set in D.C. makes everyone look like they were hauled out of bed at 2am while doped on cold medicine or after bad sex and then fed cold porridge to start their day. Bad look.

I have an inexplicable like for Bob Costa. He seems like a smart guy who actually listens and who you could have a beer with without a massive side of ego. But I've been fooled before. 

Edited by potatoradio
Oops- let's try spelling Costa's name correctly!
  • Love 2

I have an inexplicable like for Bob Costas. He seems like a smart guy who actually listens and who you could have a beer with without a massive side of ego. But I've been fooled before. 

Not inexplicable to me. I've been a fan since "Later with Bob Costas" in the 1990s. He would interview a variety of guests - actors, authors, musicians - with ease and impeccable preparation. Like the great interviewers, he's an excellent listener. Kind of the opposite of you-know-who.

I actually think he'd make a great host if they gave him this time slot.

Joe sounds like the mom at the parent teacher conference who thinks her juvenile delinquent son Donald is really smart and good at heart but it's those nasty Bannon and Miller boys who have led him astray, so it's their fault he's getting in trouble, but it is also the school's fault for putting them in the same home rooms.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, potatoradio said:

I have an inexplicable like for Bob Costas. He seems like a smart guy who actually listens and who you could have a beer with without a massive side of ego. But I've been fooled before. 

Bob Costas will forever be my broadcasting boyfriend. 

• Love 2

Bob Costa of the Washington Post is not the sportscaster Bob Costas.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bob+costas&oq=bob+costas&aqs=chrome..69i57.6056j0j4&sourceid=silk&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?ei=eSi2WLS7LojUgAbeoaD4Cg&q=bob+costa+washington+post&oq=bob+costa+wahington+post&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.0.0i13k1l2j0i22i30k1.25091.31924.0.33444.16.16.0.0.0.0.3417.5579.9-2.2.0....0...1c.1j4.64.mobile-gws-serp..14.2.5578.xZdK8Ccb6O4

I've read WP's/Bob Costa's pieces for awhile but was introduced to him in the flesh (figuratively) on Morning Joe.  He impressed me because he never said ONE WORD MORE than he wanted to say.  He keeps his sources to himself and often prefaces his comments with "according to my reporting...."  He has ethics and a moral parameter.  He doesn't "hint" or play word games.

I like his recalcitrance.      It's a rare (almost non-existent, really) quality in tv pundits.

• Love 3

It's obvious that Joe and Mika are afraid to criticize Trump - even the tone he is setting with the rise of anti-semitism. So instead of Trump they say Bannon. The "Bannon White House". Okay, Mika.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, potatoradio said:

This cracked me up. That's about the level of complexity on display here during our morning session of Mean Girls. Joe is sooo Gretchen Weiners. WE SHOULD TOTALLY JUST STAB CAESAR!!! 

Maybe because Jeremy Peters was on the show and god forbid someone outdoes Joe's hair. But I think Peters needs to wear his glasses when he's picking out a tie - I don't notice ties in general, but ye gads, that was a hideous swamp shade of green. Also, he tried about six times to interject when Blow was bloviating before going back to circling stuff on his papers ("pick up hair goo [circle] and Starbucks [circle] after show"). Has he not learned by now?

However, once he finally got a minute, I, too, needed a vomit catcher because the idea of Bannon and tRump in some sort of "My Fair Lady" situation where Bannon coaches him into being some kind of refined intellectual? Er....Steve? He's only "like a smart person," remember? Dude does not read.

Mika was cracking me up. "THANKS, Steve." Ha ha ha.  Gosh, I so enjoy Mika's morning read-alongs. I love having a slab of text on screen as she reads it. Riveting viewing, that. 

Also, lighting crew needs to change things up. The oh-so-special set in D.C. makes everyone look like they were hauled out of bed at 2am while doped on cold medicine or after bad sex and then fed cold porridge to start their day. Bad look.

Thanks!. I find that Morning Joe makes me laugh. I probably should be crying. As someone with many American relatives, I am puzzled/shocked with what is going in in the USA. I watched the State of the Union speech. They showed a clip of legendary Congressmen Joe Scarborough. What will Joe say tomorow?

2 minutes ago, Miss Slay said:

It's obvious that Joe and Mika are afraid to criticize Trump - even the tone he is setting with the rise of anti-semitism. So instead of Trump they say Bannon. The "Bannon White House". Okay, Mika.

I believe that Mika & Joe have realized that Trump will be President till January 2021 unless he is impeached. They are mad at Trump now because he refused to give him an exclusive interview. I was watching CNN & they showed Joe in the audience!. Hopefully, Joe will provide his perspective on the speech.

(edited)

I couldn't really listen to the post speech coverage this morning because of course even though it's all the same words but in in a different tone, Joe, Mika, and Halperin are giddy.  In fact, if Mika doesn't stop kissing Ivanka's ass, I'm going to throw up.

Edited by stormy

Oh dear God, they are gushing over the fact that the Cheeto-in-Chief managed to read from a TelePrompTer without throwing up on himself and calling it "governing mode"?

• Love 5
(edited)
56 minutes ago, Maire said:

Can't watch myself but did Joe say he was at the speech last night? I saw a pic of him there.

He mentioned it, said that as a former MOC he has floor privileges for SOTU.

Now my question:

Did anyone mention how pissed the Joint Chiefs looked?*  Maybe I was just projecting because of T's passing the Yemen blame on them, but they did not look happy at all.  Those were no "resting bitch faces."  Those bitch faces were active AF.

* - I had to step away from the set for a few minutes so I might have missed it.

Edited by revbfc
  • Love 3

Joe was in the audience and that's all I saw of the event except for Melania's  Las Vegas showgirl dress.  (Fancy the alt-right outrage had a Michelle showed cleavage and sequins?)     This morning Joe and Mika demonstrating their art of being sycophants----nothing new here except  a couple of other panelists stepped  up to go along with the a--kissing.    Mika: "the inaugural speech we never got."  yada yada yada. Ted Cruz on now .   That's enough.  Clicking off.  tah tah.   

• Love 1
(edited)

Joe:  "I wrote a book.  Not to talk about my book, but...."

Ted Cruz was on in person--it seems lawmakers rarely are on set, so that was odd.  Also odd was the fact that I didn't loathe him with the heat of a thousand suns like I always do.  He seemed less smarmy--perhaps its because of being forced to become a toady if he wants to stay in the game has humbled him???

I didn't get to watch/listen much today.  Oakville-- were they only talking about the Speech, or did they address the shameful fact that Jews are supposedly toppling over their own headstones and calling in bomb threats to their own Synagogues and community centers??

Joe sounds like the mom at the parent teacher conference who thinks her juvenile delinquent son Donald is really smart and good at heart but it's those nasty Bannon and Miller boys who have led him astray, so it's their fault he's getting in trouble, but it is also the school's fault for putting them in the same home rooms.

Mumbles, that was perfection.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Maire said:

Can't watch myself but did Joe say he was at the speech last night? I saw a pic of him there.

Joe has floor privileges as a result of his tenure in Congress. Joe said he was a guest of Elijah Cummings. Joe said a nice thing about Miller. Mika & Joe are happy that Trump was behaving well last night.

Wednesday recap. Mika & Joe are in Washington in a small studio. Mika is wearing a black turtleneck. Joe is wearing a suit with a tie. Mika was very close to Joe. Mika didn't like people getting ahead of their skis. She was upset that Democrats took Trump too lightly.. Mika & Joe were very happy with Trump's speech. Mika said it was the best speech of his career. Halperin liked the speech as well. Joe was very happy that Bannon was not consulted for the speech. Mika said that the Democrats should take the openings that Trump gives them. The panel made fun of Sam Stein for being called a Senior writer for the Huffington Post. Mika said the media should avoid trivial fights with Trump. Joe said the President is learning on the job. Mika & Joe bragged that they knew Trump for 10 years. Joe said that Elijah Cummings can work with Trump on high drug prices.

Joe wrote a best selling book in 2004.

Ted Cruz likes the infrastructure project but is opposed to the Obama boondoggle from 2009.

Joe wants someone to pay for the roads.

Cruz said better growth in GDP can help cut the deficit.

1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

Joe:  "I wrote a book.  Not to talk about my book, but...."

Ted Cruz was on in person--it seems lawmakers rarely are on set, so that was odd.  Also odd was the fact that I didn't loathe him with the heat of a thousand suns like I always do.  He seemed less smarmy--perhaps its because of being forced to become a toady if he wants to stay in the game has humbled him???

I didn't get to watch/listen much today.  Oakville-- were they only talking about the Speech, or did they address the shameful fact that Jews are supposedly toppling over their own headstones and calling in bomb threats to their own Synagogues and community centers??

Mumbles, that was perfection.

they didn't discuss the Jews toppling over their headstones. That's so weird.

• Love 2

Ted Cruz said that Medicaid produces bad outcomes. Cruz wants people to be able to afford private healthcare.

They had many high profile guests today. Pelosi, Shumer & VP Pence. Joe said that Pence helped write the speech.

Mika wanted Pence to apologize for fake news & media attacks. Pence said the media can't make up stories about Pence.

Ms Romney McDaniels gave Mika & Joe a Detroit Tigers hat. Doesn't she know that Mika & Joe are Red Sox fans.?

What a mess. Thank goodness Sam Stein was there to slow their stupid rolls. Joe is so desperate to retcon his past support of a fascist racist ("This is the man Mika and I have known for years!" And then throws in Nancy Pelosi for no good reason.). Even Michael Steele was all, easy there tiger.

Sam Stein was all, you know all that stuff about clean air and water in that speech? Well, earlier that day Trump signed an EO allowed coal waste dumping into streams. Game set and match, Mr. Stein.

The Romney woman was useless. Apparently the Dems need to help dismantle Obamacare because "they created the mess to begin with." Idiot.

Manchin and McCaskill look like elderly demented Cabbage Patch Kids dolls.

(Thank you WhineandCheez for your kind words!)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mumbles said:

What a mess. Thank goodness Sam Stein was there to slow their stupid rolls. Joe is so desperate to retcon his past support of a fascist racist ("This is the man Mika and I have known for years!" And then throws in Nancy Pelosi for no good reason.). Even Michael Steele was all, easy there tiger.

Sam Stein was all, you know all that stuff about clean air and water in that speech? Well, earlier that day Trump signed an EO allowed coal waste dumping into streams. Game set and match, Mr. Stein.

The Romney woman was useless. Apparently the Dems need to help dismantle Obamacare because "they created the mess to begin with." Idiot.

Manchin and McCaskill look like elderly demented Cabbage Patch Kids dolls.

(Thank you WhineandCheez for your kind words!)

Joe said it will be tough for McCaskill & Manchin to win re election in 2018. Macaskill like the Trump family paid leave program. She admitted that Hillary was the status quo candidate & Trump voters were like Road Rage.

It's strange that they never ask Mancin about his daughter being CEO of the price gouging epi pen company. Is it because he is a "friend of the show"?

McCaskill got lucky in 2012 when the GOP nominated the pro rape candidate.

I can never tell from day to day if Joe will be Pro or Anti Trump. Joe always pull out the " Mika & I have known Trump for years and he is a great guy line".

It was nice of Pence to show up on Morning Joe.

• Love 1
(edited)

Macaskill like the Trump family paid leave program.

I have said for years this woman is beyond dumb. That program is based on tax credits. You know who don't have much use for tax credits? Low-income people who don't pay a lot of income tax. The kind of people who could really use some help with child care. And yet this show keeps inviting her on and never pushes back.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

I have said for years this woman is beyond dumb. That program is based on tax credits. You know who don't have much use for tax credits? Low-income people who don't pay a lot of income tax. The kind of people who could really use some help with child care. And yet this show keeps inviting her on and never pushes back.

You are right. Macaskill is an official "friend of the show" , so they don't criticize her and ask her about the Cardinals.

The Ivanka program would help higher income voters with kids.

• Love 1

Catching up with yesterday's show. Joe trashed the Democrats for losing the upper midwest. Joe said he was right about elite reporters mocking Trump for visiting Minnesota & Michigan. Joe demanded a lower deficit. Mika mocked Halperin's studio & said it looked like a baby's room. Halperin said he got it at Target.

Mika & Joe mocked the Oscars for getting the wrong names for the best picture winner. Joe said they had poor production values.

Mika & Joe had Joshua green on yesterday to discuss Bannon calling out Joe for his attack on Miller. Mika called Miller Mini-me & tiny dictator. She then got confused about  whether or not the article was about Josh't place in the sun. Josh was the author, so she got mixed up. It's hilarious when Mean Girl Mika goes after Joe's enemies. She discussed the media picking trivial fights with the Trump administration earlier in the show. Isn't this another trivial fight?

Joe's best point of the show was that Trump should focus on tax reform, regulatory reform & infrasture. Obamacare can fall apart on its own & Democrats will beg Trump to fix it. Joe doesn't want Trump to waste time repealing and replacing Obamacare right away. Joe must have a great health care plan , so he could care less what happens to people who are worried about proposed changes to Obamacare.

Joe kept trying to get Josh to admit that Miller & Bannon were Leninists.

Joe is worried that Bannon & Miller will try to get Trump to kill 100M people like Lenin. I think that's an over reaction.

Joe gets so petty at times. Joe thinks Miller is closer to Trump than Bannon.

• Love 1

The idiocy of Mark Halperin, as evidenced by this snippet:

Ratner: The Trump tax cuts benefit Wall Street and rich people but aren't going to do anything for the laid-off auto workers who elected Trump.

Halperin: If there's a middle-class tax cut...

Ratner: There is no middle class tax cut in any of the proposals being considered right now.

Halperin: They could change that!

Sure, Mark. And they could change their Supreme Court nominee too, but they won't. Idiot.

And the mendacity of Joe, as evidenced by THIS snippet:

Joe: Small businesses are getting killed by Obamacare and regulations! 

Ratner: Well, there are all types of small businesses...

Joe: I'm talking about the guy in his garage who wants to hire people or the doctor who has a solo practice...

Yes, Joe. The exact types of businesses that are exempt from ACA requirements.

• Love 9