Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

Mika should do a whole segment about how nepotism helped her. 

That would prove once and for all that she really does know her worth, being that she would have gotten nowhere without her father's name. ------   I was sitting here picking my jaw up off the floor during that segment, thinking how totally ignorant she is about her station in life.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

Joe and Mika are outside in front of the Capitol.  Willie is in the studio.  The top story is the Democratic debate and attacks on Elizabeth Warren.  Joe said Warren's style is punitive.  I am confused because Joe previously seemed to be on the Liz Warren bandwagon.

Nothing confusing about it. This is what Joe does. Remember in the '08 primaries when Joe pumping up Obama, and then switched to cheering for Clinton when Obama was pulling ahead, repeatedly calling her "his girlfriend"? He's just trolling, none of it ever seems genuine, especially when he's giving his "expert" advice to Democrats.

• Love 7

Can someone explain to me why Joe & Mika sit outside?

It does not lend gravitas to anything they say. They aren't at an event where there is a crowd are they?  Did they want to prove they're in DC?  Why would we give a shit? 

As a lifelong St Louis Cardinals fan, fuck off Joe and your jumping on the Nationals bandwagon. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Mika cuddled up to Joe during his rant. She was wearing a black vest.

She was almost in his lap, her cheek on his shoulder.  Just sitting there, looking up into his face as he ranted like she didn't know she was on a fucking political punditry television show... like she was his date who happened to wander on stage during the segment.  At the end of the segment I think she said, "And..." and a clip teased Kamela Harris coming on the next segment.  She said 1 word after hugging his arm, wiggling in his lap.
I've never seen that before.  I tried to imagine Alli Velshi snuggling against Steph on their show... and I couldn't.  Silently looking up into Steph's eye, "she's mine, all mine, boys."

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

Andrea Mitchell was very upset at President Erdowan for humiliating the USA.

He is ignoring a visit by VP Pence. & the Secretary of State.

No one takes the USA seriously anymore. She said Trump is making a mess of the USA's traditional alliances.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, oakville said:

Andrea Mitchell was very upset at President Erdowan for humiliating the USA.

He is ignoring a visit by VP Pence. & the Secretary of State.

No one takes the USA seriously anymore. She said Trump is making a mess of the USA's traditional alliances.

I think we all agree that this is a very upsetting situation but my angst is not focused on President Erdogan.  

36 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

I'll be there!  Even if I have to rent one of those Hollywood rain machines, I will be a Woman Voting In The Rain!

Hee, we think alike but I was going more renting a fire hose route . . . 😃

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

And I so agree with all comments about that outdoor venue.  It may work on a nice summer day but it's so awkward for an early morning show as that wind has to be a factor no matter what the temperature may be.  And good grief, how can MSNBC let those two cuddle on the air like that?  So inappropriate and I don't care that they are married now (like that ever stopped them before).

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

And I so agree with all comments about that outdoor venue.  It may work on a nice summer day but it's so awkward for an early morning show as that wind has to be a factor no matter what the temperature may be.  And good grief, how can MSNBC let those two cuddle on the air like that?  So inappropriate and I don't care that they are married now (like that ever stopped them before).

Bahah what time were they cuddling at ?😂😂😂😂🤮🤮

• Love 4
3 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Can someone explain to me why Joe & Mika sit outside?

It does not lend gravitas to anything they say. They aren't at an event where there is a crowd are they?  Did they want to prove they're in DC?  Why would we give a shit? 

As a lifelong St Louis Cardinals fan, fuck off Joe and your jumping on the Nationals bandwagon. 

I think it has has something to do with Joe being a former Congressman and wanting to show his closeness to the institution. The two of them also seem to enjoy some pious delusions about defending liberty and the Constitution.  They got married in front of the Bill of Rights.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

And I so agree with all comments about that outdoor venue.  It may work on a nice summer day but it's so awkward for an early morning show as that wind has to be a factor no matter what the temperature may be.  And good grief, how can MSNBC let those two cuddle on the air like that? 

They were sitting so close together that the armrest from Mika's chair overlapped the armrest from Joe's chair.

I started to wonder if maybe they've pissed off the D.C NBC affiliate, so maybe they have nowhere to go when they're in the nation's capital.  It can't be just to get that shot of the Capitol.  This is, after all, a show that allows its hosts to broadcast from a bunker in Florida with green screen shots of D.C. landmarks.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

I think it has has something to do with Joe being a former Congressman and wanting to show his closeness to the institution. The two of them also seem to enjoy some pious delusions about defending liberty and the Constitution.  They got married in front of the Bill of Rights.

Congress has been dysfunctional since Joe left. Joe was the glue that kept everyone together. Joe had friends on both sides of the aisle. 

They did have quite a few candidates on today. However, they couldn’t get Biden, Warren or Sanders. Joe had advice for all 3 campaigns.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Yoloahon said:

I missed this mornings show what time did Mika cuddle up to joe and what time was Kamala Harris on at ?x😂😂😂

Mika cuddled Joe throughout the first 2 hours. The show issued a warning that it was for adult audiences only. Kamala  was on around 845 am

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

This is, after all, a show that allows its hosts to broadcast from a bunker in Florida with green screen shots of D.C. landmarks.

Yesterday they had a green screen of the White House or Capitol that had way too many autumn colored trees that it looked like the White House/Capitol is located in the Catskills or the Adirondacks.  I think it was a fake (how suitable for this show...)

• Love 4

I watched some of the Snugglefest this morning and Mika sure came dressed for it because it appeared to me she was wearing fuzzy lounge leggings. Because nothing is more professional than those

At some point, Joe said something about "...random people," to which Mika turned to the camera and blurted out, "Randos!" because Mika wants to make sure that we all know she's invited to sit at the Kool Kids' Table where they speak teen slang and cling to every word their boyfriends utter. 

I'm near certain the "random" Joe used was in context to what Andrea Mitchell had mentioned (that I'd totally forgotten about) -- that Erdogan has been invited to come meet the President despite the last time he was here when he sicced his goon squad on a bunch of people and got away with it. This was very serious and dire commentary Mitchell was making and the only thing Mika could contribute was "RANDOS!" to it. 

This show is a national embarrassment. 

30 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Well, I can't really rag on Joe for just becoming a Nats fan.  There are some of us in the DC area who don't usually follow baseball, but became Nats fans yesterday. 😃 

Yeah, but I'm guessing you don't have a cable TV show where you have spent years with Mike Barnicle publicly professing your lifelong love of the Red Sox. 😉

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, meowmommy said:

They were sitting so close together that the armrest from Mika's chair overlapped the armrest from Joe's chair.

I started to wonder if maybe they've pissed off the D.C NBC affiliate, so maybe they have nowhere to go when they're in the nation's capital.  It can't be just to get that shot of the Capitol.  This is, after all, a show that allows its hosts to broadcast from a bunker in Florida with green screen shots of D.C. landmarks.

SNORT exactly!  It's like they checked in late and they were told the only room available was on the patio . . . hee!

5 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika cuddled Joe throughout the first 2 hours. The show issued a warning that it was for adult audiences only. Kamala  was on around 845 am

Seriously, if they keep this up they are going to have to slap an "R" rating on the show . . . 🙂

KYV phffffft, Know Your Boundaries!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Yesterday they had a green screen of the White House or Capitol that had way too many autumn colored trees that it looked like the White House/Capitol is located in the Catskills or the Adirondacks.  I think it was a fake (how suitable for this show...)

Seriously, their backdrops are starting to look like they came from QVC.

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I watched some of the Snugglefest this morning and Mika sure came dressed for it because it appeared to me she was wearing fuzzy lounge leggings. Because nothing is more professional than those

At some point, Joe said something about "...random people," to which Mika turned to the camera and blurted out, "Randos!" because Mika wants to make sure that we all know she's invited to sit at the Kool Kids' Table where they speak teen slang and cling to every word their boyfriends utter. 

I'm near certain the "random" Joe used was in context to what Andrea Mitchell had mentioned (that I'd totally forgotten about) -- that Erdogan has been invited to come meet the President despite the last time he was here when he sicced his goon squad on a bunch of people and got away with it. This was very serious and dire commentary Mitchell was making and the only thing Mika could contribute was "RANDOS!" to it. 

This show is a national embarrassment. 

RANDOS!  Thank you, I wasn't sure I heard it correctly . . . I love how she tosses in newly learned "lingo" . . . not.

Seriously, I was waiting for her to ask Joe "did I get that right?".  I have this vision of Joe creating a "Word of the Day" calendar for her to try and drag her into the current century.

Blech.

• Love 4

Snarking from the shallow end of the pool . . . what was up with Mika's hair wings this morning? Her hair was done up in some sort of flipped ends that resembled wings. She should have borrowed Mike Schmidt's upturned-collar black jacket (the one that causes me to refer to him as The Count) to go along with her look.

And I can't hear "women voting in the rain" without thinking of Willie Nelson's "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain."

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

what was up with Mika's hair wings this morning? Her hair was done up in some sort of flipped ends that resembled wings. She should have borrowed Mike Schmidt's upturned-collar black jacket (the one that causes me to refer to him as The Count) to go along with her look.

Now see I was going with more of a Flying Nun look or maybe Carol Brady.  The first couple of minutes of the show were rather mesmerizing watching her hair.  It was like they had a wind machine on full blast right at her.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

Snarking from the shallow end of the pool . . . what was up with Mika's hair wings this morning? Her hair was done up in some sort of flipped ends that resembled wings. She should have borrowed Mike Schmidt's upturned-collar black jacket (the one that causes me to refer to him as The Count) to go along with her look.

And I can't hear "women voting in the rain" without thinking of Willie Nelson's "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain."

Thank you!  I thought I was the only one who noticed Michael Schmidt's jacket.  Always the same (seemingly), always black, always with the same collar.  The Count!  Love it...now I won't be able to not think about that when I see him from now on.

And to the news that sports fans in the DC area could use some good news...right you are.  Mr. Kemper and I are long-time Redskins and Caps fans.  The Caps finally did it a couple of years ago.  I am sure Meeka knows nothing about any sporting event she attends with Joe...doesn't care.  But it is where The Cool Kids are.  Rando?  I have never heard that; who, other than a middle-school kid, would use that expression?  We is all old.

• Love 6

In 2013, Barnicle arranged for Mika & Joe to get a private tour of Fenway Park.  The show posted glamor shots of Mika looking out from the scoreboard .They also went to all the Red Sox World Series games. Joe interviewed the manager of the Red Sox, John Farrell after they won the World Series . Farrell thanked Joe for supporting the Red Sox.

I suspect Mika & Joe will be attending games in Washington once the World Series begins.

Hopefully, Joe will be asked to throw out the first pitch at the games or at the very least have his band perform the National Anthem.

Joe is considered to be one of America's favourite baseball analysts.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Regarding their outdoor gig this morning, I also have to agree it was pointless.  It was too windy and that wind was doing a number on Mika's hair.  I spent entirely too much time looking at that and couldn't concentrate on what anyone was saying..  Also, Andrea Mitchell looked like she was freezing as she was out there without a coat or jacket.  Given her age, I was afraid she would develop pneumonia sitting out there.

• Love 3

I am surprised they are on camera today.  Rep.  Elijah Cummings, who performed their wedding, died suddenly and unexpectedly this morning after surgery.  Mika is crying on camera while reading the news. Willie did a nice segment with Michael Steele.  

Joe brought up his own time in Congress when he worked with Elijah Cummings.  Together, they got things done.  Of course Joe had to insert himself.  

They should have left this story to Willie if Mika couldn't do it.  It is uncomfortable to watch.  I don't like this trend of anchors announcing deaths and crying on camera.  It started with Tom Brokaw announcing Tim Russert's death.  It is unprofessional because it makes it all about the person announcing the loss.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

So very sad about the passing of Elijah Cummings.   I could have done without Mika's grief drama.   It wasn't as bad as it could have been, considering it's Mika, but it's (supposed to be) a news show.   Andrea, Nicolle, Katie, all of them, would have handled it professionally.

• Love 4

Ah there's Podhoretz in all his Cookie Monster sweater glory . . . 

I was shocked this morning when I saw that Rep. Elijah Cummings had passed.  So sad and such a huge loss for the Congress and our country.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

They should have left this story to Willie if Mika couldn't do it.  It is uncomfortable to watch.  I don't like this trend of anchors announcing deaths and crying on camera.  It started with Tom Brokaw announcing Tim Russert's death.  It is unprofessional because it makes it all about the person announcing the loss.

Have they used this as an excuse to talk about their wedding and show off another montage of ceremony photos yet?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

It is unprofessional because it makes it all about the person announcing the loss.

Not to mention the fact that Senator Schumer offered his condolences to Joe and Mika. At which point I reached for the remote and went click.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, XOQueens said:

Have they used this as an excuse to talk about their wedding and show off another montage of ceremony photos yet?

Mika tweeted about Rep Cummings and in the tweet posted a photo of the wedding. So yeah, she's making it about them. 

• Love 4

I'm going to give Joe and Mika a pass. It sounds like Cummings was a genuine friend and I can see it being difficult separating their memories of their personal relationship from discussion about his public career.

Barnicle really annoyed me when he went on a long winded soliloquy about how the sons and daughters of the heartland, states like Ohio and Michigan, serving in the military would be put in harms way be Trump's decision to withdraw from Syria. 

Members of my extended family have served in every branch of the military except the Marines. None of them were from the "heartland". Members of our military come from all states and territories of the United States and they share the challenges of service equally. 

I am so tired of this fixation with the Midwest as somehow representing "true" America. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I am so tired of this fixation with the Midwest as somehow representing "true" America. 

Well said.

And what's also annoying is the faux concern for the Midwest.  But for the Electoral College and the need to court swing states, snobs like Barnicle wouldn't give two FFs for the Midwest.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

And what's also annoying is the faux concern for the Midwest.  But for the Electoral College and the need to court swing states, snobs like Barnicle wouldn't give two FFs for the Midwest.

It's so condescending. Like "oh look at me the liberal elite jackass caring about you schlubs". 

They act like it's the 1930s and everyone east of Ohio is The Waltons. Sitting around the kitchen table, trying to figure out how we'll afford that new milking cow, waiting for Daddy to come home from the mine. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

I'm tired of it, too.  It's as if Middle Americans are the only true, hardworking people.  My teeth also grate whenever I hear them saying "white working class."    😒

However, one thing I do think is strange is when I hear an MSNBC person give the time and say something like "10 Eastern, 7 Pacific" and never mention the other two time zones.  If I lived in middle America, I would be upset about that.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
Just now, Ohwell said:

However, one thing I do think is strange is when I hear an MSNBC person give the time and say something like "10 Eastern, 7 Pacific" and never mention the other two time zones.  If I lived in middle America, I would be upset about that.  

That has gone on just about forever, even back when there were only three major networks.  And I'm in the Twilight Zone of time zones--Arizona.  We are MST year round, which means we are in line with Denver in the winter and mimic Seattle in the summer.  

But the clock at the bottom right usually rotates among the four main time zones (let's not get started on AK and HI).  If New England ever gets around to changing to Atlantic Time, TPTB will lose their minds.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

If I lived in middle America, I would be upset about that.  

Indiana, Michigan & Ohio are on Eastern. I think they just figure Central knows to subtract an hour from Eastern, Mountain adds an hour to Pacific. It's probably a time constraint issue, more than a snub. 

The thing that gets me is when the network morning shows (Today GMA etc) cover the weather on the east coast more than the rest of the country.  Like they forget they're a national show and not Fox 5 in NYC.  Esp Bill Karns(sp) on First Look and MJ. 

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Indiana, Michigan & Ohio are on Eastern. I think they just figure Central knows to subtract an hour from Eastern, Mountain adds an hour to Pacific. It's probably a time constraint issue, more than a snub. 

Time constraint?  It'd probably take about five more seconds.  LOL 

• Love 2

I will refrain from airing my true feelings about their performance this morning. It did seem they were back in the breakfast nook, though, this morning, weren't they? Did they fly home after the show yesterday, only to have breaking news from Washington? Once again proving that this show really needs to be centered and fully broadcast from DC, not Jupiter or W. Palm Beach...it would add a sense of gravitas to the show's supposed mission of being the place "government starts it day" or whatever the tagline was a year or so ago...now they'll have to haul ass back to Dulles for the sad coverage...having the Brady Bunch squares sharing memories and reminiscing will be painful. (Forgive me if I am wrong and they were actually in DC...the brief views I had looked like FL.)

• Love 2

Joe is riffing.  He made fun of Mick Mulvaney's press conference yesterday.  Joe said Mulvaney wet his pants on TV.

Joe made fun of the Yankees' loss last night.  

Jonathan Lemire is on with a panel of foreign policy analysts and a former NATO commander to talk about Syria.  Joe said the president is holding talks at his resort, and this falls into the Emoluments Clause.

Adm Mcraven wrote an op-ed for the New York Times. This revelation affected Mika.  She sighed and said "Whooh."  Mika sat and stared at the camera for the whole segment.  She reminded us that Elijah Cummings died yesterday and then tossed to a commercial.  WTF Mika?

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 4

Glad to see Joe stayed up all night prepping for today's show (his little notepad was completely blank when the show opened).  I know they showed one of Mattis's soundbites from last night but as far as I'm concerned they should pre-empt the entire show for all of them as he was on fire last night.

• Love 1

Mika.  Jeez what a clown.  In the open she said something about General Mattis wanting Trump out, and then she made The. Most. Ridiculous. Face.  She squinted her eyes, scrunched her face, made a "huh?" sound and cocked her head quickly, sharply to the side to emphasize... something.  Kind of like the church lady, kind of like a dog, kind of like a teenager.
Put the TV on mute and just watch her.  When she's caffeinated it's pretty entertaining how a talking head on the telly can't use words to express thoughts and must squinch her face and tilt her head to emphasize, "wha? heh? huh? wow!"  Such gravitas!

I like how every morning they say, "THIS, THIS RIGHT HERE! This is the smoking gun!  This is what will cost Trump."  Every freaking morning.  I guess I respect their optimism.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

Yesterday I wrote that I gave Joe and Mika a pass on how they handled their discussion of Elijah Cummings death.

Today, Mika cited an article she wrote about their relationship while promoting her KYV site.

I was wrong.

• Love 3