Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Just now, nittanycougar said:

I just wanted to clarify that I am not trying to insult anyone's age.  I myself will be 50 in a few years.  I just don't understand this idea of Joe and Meeks bringing up her father's history to illustrate anything about the current government. There have been six presidential administrations since Zbig Brzezinski was in the WH. 

I think it may be their attempt to bring gravitas to the discussion, but it doesn't work.  I have doctors in my family, but that doesn't make me qualified to give medical advice.

You weren't insulting anyone, (IMO).  Mika doesn't grasp the concept that whatever her father did when she was a young child has absolutely no bearing on what she has done in her life. 

"Daddy's Girl:  How To Trade On Your Fathers' Career for Fun & Profit/Making it Big in Broadcast News By Sleeping with the Boss - I Will Plant the Heel of My Louboutins in Your Back to Get Ahead". 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

"Daddy's Girl:  How To Trade On Your Fathers' Career for Fun & Profit/Making it Big in Broadcast News By Sleeping with the Boss - I Will Plant the Heel of My Louboutins in Your Back to Get Ahead". 

Isn't that the subtitle to every single book she's "written"?

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Did I catch Mika saying that she too was the child of immigrants, during the convo on Lt Col Vindman? Can't not make it about yourself, can you Meeks?  

We're all descendants of immigrants.  And while we're tossing around ancestry,  I'm a Daughter of the American Revolution, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.  My 3rd great grandfather served in the Revolutionary War.  

I notice we're jumping on the "don't look up old tweets  or comments trying to bring people down" trope this morning. I can't imagine where this is coming from. 

BTW Joe, your Poindexter glasses don't make you look smarter, you just look douchier than you did yesterday wearing shorts with a sports coat. 

Why do I feel like I'm watching Jaws 3D when it comes to Mika's boobs?  I keep thinking they're going to come thru the screen & bite me. 

13 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Did I catch Mika saying that she too was the child of immigrants, during the convo on Lt Col Vindman? Can't not make it about yourself, can you Meeks?  

We're all descendants of immigrants.  And while we're tossing around ancestry,  I'm a Daughter of the American Revolution, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.  My 3rd great grandfather served in the Revolutionary War.  

I notice we're jumping on the "don't look up old tweets  or comments trying to bring people down" trope this morning. I can't imagine where this is coming from. 

BTW Joe, your Poindexter glasses don't make you look smarter, you just look douchier than you did yesterday wearing shorts with a sports coat. 

Why do I feel like I'm watching Jaws 3D when it comes to Mika's boobs?  I keep thinking they're going to come thru the screen & bite me. 

Two of my 5th great grandfathers fought in the Revolution....another one fought for the “other” side. 

• Love 2

Joe's lead tomorrow/this morning. 

"There was more damaging testimony in the impeachment investigation of the president of the United States. The state of California is on fire. (I hope the Ronald Reagan library survives because I am a REAGAN republican.) 

But hey! How 'bout them Nats!"

Can't watch.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

The top story is that the Washington Nationals are World Series champions!  As a resident of Wash DC, I am happy that we that we have something non-political to be excited about. Joe is very happy.  They showed some video of the game highlights and the Nationals pouring champagne on themselves.  Mika laughed at the video of the celebration.  Joe joked that he is working on his cutter and throws 47 mph pitches.  Funny, Joe.

Next, recent polls show support for impeachment.  A vote on a resolution is expected in the House today. They showed members of Congress speaking about the resolution.  Joe said the Republicans will continue to fight about the process.  Garrett Haake said it will be a party line vote.  

This is actually pretty interesting since Garrett Haake has better inside info than their usual panel.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 2

Wow, you can see how much Joe respects Amy Klobuchar's campaign for president. He left the breakfast nook and let Mika do the interview. I feel bad for the senator because it sounded like she actually thought Joe was on the other end.

These two couldn't even be bothered to do a full show on the morning of a vote to formalize an impeachment hearing.

I see Joe is off the bandwagon and has returned to his diehard Red Sox status.

1 hour ago, Eliot said:

Joe and Mika are now pretending to be “Succession” fans, but they’re lying because the youngest son’s name is ROMAN, not Romulus.

Logan occasionally calls him Romulus.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Logan occasionally calls him Romulus.

I refuse to believe they know that. They probably watched the show once, saw Logan call him that, and assumed that was his name!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Eliot said:

Joe and Mika are now pretending to be “Succession” fans, but they’re lying because the youngest son’s name is ROMAN, not Romulus.

They probably had it on and weren't paying attention and heard Logan call Roman by his nickname "Romulus".  idiots

Did they say the second oldest son's name is "Number One Boy"? 🙂

The daughter is "Pinky"? 

Not even them watching my favorite show is going to make me like them. 

Mika must be officiating a Unitarian wedding later today.   What is the point of those idiot scarves? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

You know, I could see Joe as being a secret Conn Head. "Look! He's got the memes! The youth love those things!"

He & Mika and a poor would just sit down and hash things out. No taxes, no medicare for all, we'll just work together, as long as you don't try to take any of my money or make off shore tax havens illegal. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe likes pie charts.

And Mika likes pie.😉 (We just haven't had a Come to Jesus KYV video about it yet.)

That scarf was certainly a blast from the old days, wasn't it? Maybe she had shorts on too and wanted to cover her legs on the wide shots. They have become unwatchable for more than 2 minutes.

• Love 3

Joe and Mika are in the studio together.  Mika said Republicans are advancing conspiracies.  Willie, WaPo Eugene, John Meacham and Some Axios Guy joined in studio.

The top story is the impeachment resolution. Joe is surprised that no Republicans voted for the impeachment resolution.  Joe is worried about the Republic. Joe invoked Hamilton, Madison, and Jefferson to illustrate his point.  Shit is serious today!  Joe must have busted out a constitutional history book last night.

John Meacham talked about  the Enlightenment and constitutional history and everyone looked confused.  

Willie says he doubts the speculation about cracks in the Republican base.  WaPo Eugene said it is not new that Republicans know Trump and follow him.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Joe said Fox News personalities still support the president.  I don't understand the point of Joe talking about Fox when he is on MSNBC.  Maybe this is a bigger issue about cable news competition? Most MSNBC viewers are not watching Fox.

Editing to add, apparently Joe and Fox news have had some conflict.  Joe thinks that Fox has had unfair coverage of impeachment witnesses.  He has been quite critical of Laura Ingraham. 

Edited by nittanycougar

The only reason Joe is on the show is that it allows him to bloviate at the top of the hour every morning. The only reason Mika is on the show is to serve as Joe's hype man and promote KYV. 

Neither of them is interested in discussion. That's for the in studio panel. Even when he is talking to the regulars in the studio Joe is like "Blah blah blah. . Eugene, tell me why I'm right." And they are increasingly handing over interview responsibilities to the panel or Willie. They had two members of Congress in studio the day after an impeachment inquiry vote and Joe and Mika decided to disappear. Talk about a lack of respect. To the interviewees and the viewers.

They are making themselves irrelevant on their own show.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 11

Joe said that Susan Collins, Cory Gardner & Tom Tillis will lose their senate seats. He wants them to vote for impeachment to keep their reputations intact.

Joe complained about Republicans blindly voting the party line. Isn't that what Joe did in 1998 with Bill Clinton.

Susan Ferechio always begins her commentary with "You are so right Joe!".

• Love 6

Did I hear Joe at the top of the show bad mouth Donald Trump Jr about living off his father's last name, etc, while sitting next to someone who has  lived off her father's last name? 

I  will assume Jon Meacham laughing at Joe's suggestion that the impeachment, accusations again Trump etc. is comparable to the VietNam war, and asking Joe if Sean Hannity is supposed to be Walter Cronkite in this scenario, will signal the last time Meacham is on the show for a while. 

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/joe-scarborough-rupert-murdoch-needs-a-cronkite-moment-to-break-political-tribalism/

Edited by teddysmom
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

The only reason Joe is on the show is that it allows him to bloviate at the top of the hour every morning. The only reason Mika is on the show is to serve as Joe's hype man and promote KYV. 

This is the best description of this supposed "news show" I have ever read. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

This is the best description of this supposed "news show" I have ever read.

They would be better served with a podcast. Then Joe can run his mouth, Mika can promote KYV, they can have guests on that agree with them and tell them how wonderful they are, and we don't have to look at either of them. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
Just now, teddysmom said:

They would be better served with a podcast. Then Joe can run his mouth, Mika can promote KYV, they can have guests on that agree with them and tell them how wonderful they are, and we don't have to look at either of them. 

And Joe wouldn't have to wear pants.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Joe said that Susan Collins, Cory Gardner & Tom Tillis will lose their senate seats. He wants them to vote for impeachment to keep their reputations intact.

Joe complained about Republicans blindly voting the party line. Isn't that what Joe did in 1998 with Bill Clinton.

Susan Ferechio always begins her commentary with "You are so right Joe!".

Joe has been out of the trenches way too long.  Tom Tillis is from my state;  we are one of the most, if not the most, gerrymandered states in the country.  He has no reputation to keep intact; he is gerrymandered in - unless the court ruling to strike down the electoral map stands.  Joe needs to start listening to other voices; not the ones in his head who keep coming up to him and giving him their opinion.

I love listening to Max Boot (is that his name?) - he brings a hard dash of reality when he comes; and I think he disagreed with Donnie this morning.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, oakville said:

He said that Nixon was a controversial President.

That is a real hard hitting, inside scoop that most people would never know. 😛

I was just thinking, maybe Joe wants Fox News to hire him so he can give them their "Walter Cronkite/VietNam" moment. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

Neither of them is interested in discussion. That's for the in studio panel. Even when he is talking to the regulars in the studio Joe is like "Blah blah blah. . Eugene, tell me why I'm right." And they are increasingly handing over interview responsibilities to the panel or Willie. They had two members of Congress in studio the day after an impeachment inquiry vote and Joe and Mika decided to disappear. Talk about a lack of respect. To the interviewees and the viewers.

They are making themselves irrelevant on their own show.

I find it fascinating that they both disappeared around 7 45 a.m. today.

• Love 1

Mika & Joe both disappeared at 7:30am and never returned.  The rest of the show was done with Willie and guests from the NYC studio.  This is becoming increasingly more annoying as either usually Joe and occasionally Mika disappear after 8:00am.  But now it's down to 7:30.  Why do they even bother to show up at all?  I deeply resent the fact that these two make a great deal of money and can't be bothered to do their jobs.  I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would jump at the chance to host a daily 3-hour news show, get paid a pile of money and actually show up every day.  Look, everyone is entitled to vacation time off, but these two (especially Joe) just go MIA in the middle of their own show.  I can't believe the powers that be put up with this.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

That left over Halloween candy isn't going to eat itself.

Cut to scene from last night where drunken mika has a 32oz Yeti full of vodka and ice in the crook of her arm that's also holding a huge platter of messy cake.  Humorlessly using her other hand to sloppily grip and throw cake hunks into trick or treaters' bags.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Cut to scene from last night where drunken mika has a 32oz Yeti full of vodka and ice in the crook of her arm that's also holding a huge platter of messy cake.  Humorlessly using her other hand to sloppily grip and throw cake hunks into trick or treaters' bags.

Need their address please, sounds like a party!  😀

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

The kids get back to their homes and one Mom asks "Why is your bag all wet, what is this? OMG it smells like vodka, and why are there cake crumbs in here?  You didn't go to the Scarboroughs did you? I told you not to go there!!

Child replies "Mrs Scarborough was throwing pennies in our bags and then she said "here you kids will get thirsty, we thought she was pouring water in the bag". 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I was much more out than in this morning in terms of watching but I found it fascinating that the folks in the NY studio (including the EP) didn't even seem to bother to pretend those two were participating in the given segment.  I so agree with everyone's comments that I am astonished that this is allowed and even rewarded (by their new contracts) but then Brokaw showed up and it all made sense again . . . ick.

2 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

The kids get back to their homes and one Mom asks "Why is your bag all wet, what is this? OMG it smells like vodka, and why are there cake crumbs in here?  You didn't go to the Scarboroughs did you? I told you not to go there!!

Child replies "Mrs Scarborough was throwing pennies in our bags and then she said "here you kids will get thirsty, we thought she was pouring water in the bag". 

Vitamin water (wink) . . . what a mess.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

then Brokaw showed up and it all made sense again . . . ick.

As far as NBC putting up with bs much longer than they should?   

Why do they give one whit about Brokaw?  He is so irrelevant. I do not get the power these people have over an employer.  "Nixon was controversial".  No shit sherlock. 

It's not like Brokaw is a money making entity for NBC. And it would be quite easy for them to replace Joe & Mika and not miss a beat.  Yeah some people might stop watching for a while, but once they see the format is the same, just 99% less bullshit and sighing, they'd come back. Viewing habits, esp when it comes to news, are hard to break. 

If people really wanted to watch a program with good conversations & relevant guests, in the morning, dvr 11th Hour.  No yelling, no misreading a teleprompter, good panels with a variety of guests. Joe & Mika aren't talking about anything that wasn't covered the day before by much more capable hands. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

John Meacham talked about  the Enlightenment and constitutional history and everyone looked confused.  

Thank you for an excellent laugh. I didn't see this, but I can just picture it. I have visions of those head tilts dogs do when they're befuddled.

I watched a few minutes this morning. Someone (it might have been Joe) said that Trump was the odd-on favorite to win in 2020. Now, I was half-asleep, but I think that's what I heard. Did Joe (or whoever said it) back that claim up with any data?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

I love listening to Max Boot (is that his name?) - he brings a hard dash of reality when he comes; and I think he disagreed with Donnie this morning.

The real Max Boot is on CNN.  He used to be on MSNBC and I used to get him confused with John Heilemann, even when they were on at the same time.

6 hours ago, xaxat said:

Neither of them is interested in discussion. That's for the in studio panel. Even when he is talking to the regulars in the studio Joe is like "Blah blah blah. . Eugene, tell me why I'm right." And they are increasingly handing over interview responsibilities to the panel or Willie.

Wonderfully articulated.  It's a completely different, and infinitely more watchable, show when they are not there and Willie is left in charge.

2 hours ago, Linda956 said:

I deeply resent the fact that these two make a great deal of money and can't be bothered to do their jobs.

According to this site, Rachel Maddow, MSNBC's star, makes $7M per year, and IMO, she works her ass off every day to make sure that when she goes on the air, she's earning her keep. 

The same site says Joe and Mika each pull in $8M per year.  For the amount of work these two morons put in on the same goddamn network, they should be paying us.  They just have to have video of their bosses fucking goats.  That's the only explanation.

Edited by meowmommy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Linda956 said:

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would jump at the chance to host a daily 3-hour news show, get paid a pile of money and actually show up every day.

Morning Willie? 

I could get behind that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Brokaw discussed the similarities between Trump & Nixon. Nixon said he had the support of the "Silent Majority". Trump is using the same terms . Trump said that the silent majority is now the Noisy Trump supporters.Trump said the Silent Majority is back.

Brokaw warned viewers that people he talks to out west & in the midwest don't support the Democrats impeachment Inquiry.

Brokaw said Social Media is affecting the debate over the Trump.

Brokaw said that people outside the Beltway care about the economy not Impeachment. 

I don't like Donny Deutsh. He is annoying.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, oakville said:

Brokaw warned viewers that people he talks to out west & in the midwest don't support the Democrats impeachment Inquiry.

Brokaw said that people outside the Beltway care about the economy not Impeachment. 

I live in Arizona.  I care about the economy AND impeachment. 

You can go anywhere and find somebody who has the opinion you're looking for.  

23 minutes ago, oakville said:

I don't like Donny Deutsh. He is annoying.

Annoying is an understatement.  

• Love 7
3 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I live in Arizona.  I care about the economy AND impeachment. 

You can go anywhere and find somebody who has the opinion you're looking for.  

Annoying is an understatement.  

Ditto this entire statement including the Donny Deutsche reference.  I have grown so weary of the same talking heads on the tee vee screen or in a given diner on the road.  You want to hear a really different opinion?  Try catching a "busy mom" flying through the drive thru at McDonald's gathering/wheeling her kids to their next destination and lining up the next set of tasks for a given hour.  Most of those dilettantes would be a puddle of whizz in under an hour.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, oakville said:

Thank you NBC for having on a millionaire to give us the pulse of the nation based on those people he talks to (and smokes cigars with and swirls brandy in an elegantly appointed snifter).  I feel so seen.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

You want to hear a really different opinion?  Try catching a "busy mom" flying through the drive thru at McDonald's gathering/wheeling her kids to their next destination and lining up the next set of tasks for a given hour.  Most of those dilettantes would be a puddle of whizz in under an hour.

Or, hey, why not try one of the Silicon Valley tech cafeterias or, gasp, maybe go to a big city coffee shop and talk to some of the  millions of people reporters constantly ignore in favor of rural diners.  The west and midwest have cities, too, cities filled with people with opinions and votes.

Edited by izabella
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Chloesmom said:

Thank you NBC for having on a millionaire to give us the pulse of the nation based on those people he talks to (and smokes cigars with and swirls brandy in an elegantly appointed snifter).  I feel so seen.

Brokaw likes to pretend he's still the poor kid from South Dakota, but he's been an entrenched part of the elite for a very long time.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, izabella said:

Or, hey, why not try one of the Silicon Valley tech cafeterias or, gasp, maybe go to a big city coffee shop and talk to some of the  millions of people reporters constantly ignore in favor of rural diners.

Agreed.  I think there is a broader cross section between folks standing in line at a Starbucks-esque establishment trying to fuel their over-scheduled day, those whose lives are lucky enough to spend an hour having a leisurely breakfast at a local breakfast place and those that are parked around Brokaw's BBQ Hutt.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Brokaw likes to pretend he's still the poor kid from South Dakota, but he's been an entrenched part of the elite for a very long time.

From my perspective, the only value Brokaw could bring is to be a voice of experience.  He could remind people that what is happening in our government is very serious and should be taken seriously and reported on seriously, rather than cavalierly.   He could also note that Walter Cronkite did not need to be told not to wear shorts on camera while delivering the news.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

I think NBC is trying to do its best to keep Brokaw on the air despite the scandals that he is involved in. It was rude of Mika & Joe to not even bother staying to participate in the interview.

Brokaw deserves credit today for not mentioning that his friends in the west were worried about "Brown Grandbabies".