Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

You know, it would make sense if this show featured interviews with non-political folk every day and that way a Ringo Starr interview wouldn't stand out like a sore fucking thumb like a gardening segment during a WWE match. But, I guess he's on of Joe's heroes, so...

And I couldn't believe that Joe couldn't be bothered to ask Ringo Starr that, in the age of #metoo, if he had any regrets over writing that super pervy, "You're 16." (A 45 which, of course, Joe proudly boasted he owned.) How would Joe feel today if Ringo was singing that song about one of his daughters? (Does he even have any? I don't know.)

Joe has three sons and one daughter who is ... 16 years old.

You're Sixteen was a big hit for Ringo but he didn't write it. Rockabilly artist Johnny Burnette rocked the charts with it in 1960. (It was one of my mom's "divorce songs" and she literally wore out her 45. Also Sleep Walk by Santo and Johnny).

I suspect that Joey doesn't want to go anywhere near MeToo. The Little Woman always does those segments solo.

So did they show the Ringo interview? How long was it? He is notorious for being surly and sarcastic, especially toward ass kissers.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Well that Qanon piece was frightening.

No kidding but I am so glad this is being covered because I think most folks aren't even aware this is a thing.  I see it a lot on Twitter but it's good to highlight this movement to the general public and not just news junkies.

Talk about yikes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Joe did not like his mother in law supporting LSU over Alabama.

Joe is happy that Biden is leading in the battleground states .

Joe said that a poor finish in Iowa & NH  would hurt Biden's momentum.

Mika said that Bloomberg could buy Fox News.

Bloomberg is not doing as well in the polls.

Lemire said that Bloomberg's "Stop & Frisk"  is not popular with African Americans.

• Love 2

Lemire sad that Nikki Haley might replace Mike Pence as VP candidate for 2020.

Nikki might run for President after Trump.

The look on Mika & Joe's face after Hans called the show "Morning Chit Chat" was priceless.

Mika does not like the term "Morning Chit Chat".

Mika is worried about Nikki Haley supporting Trump. Mika supports patriots that tried to stop Trump.

• Love 6

Joe said that Nikki is describing bureaucratic infighting. It happens ll the time.

Joe is trying to get Nikki in trouble with Trump because she didn't immediately tell Trump about Rex Tillerson.

Mika has a new coffee mug.

• Love 2

Joe said that Russia's involvement in defeating the Nazis was important.

Joe wants a political truce so that Trump could attend the May Day parade in Moscow next year.

Hans apologized for the Morning Chit Chat comment. No one messes with the intellectual gravitas of Mika & Joe.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, oakville said:

The look on Mika & Joe's face after Hans called the show "Morning Chit Chat" was priceless.

Mika does not like the term "Morning Chit Chat".

They have no one to blame but themselves. It's clear to everyone that they are ducking hard news and interviews and their primary role is to chat at the top of the hour.

Exhibit A: Baseball.

• Love 9

Where can I send Hans a gift basket? 

This is a huge indication of how the other employees of NBC News/MSNBC feel about this clusterfuck. 

To be fair, I wouldn't even call it chit chat.  It's Joe bellowing about whatever pissed him off this morning, Mika gazing at him like he's a chocolate cake while trying to read two syllable words off a teleprompter.  At least that's what I saw during the 15 seconds I had it on around 7 am. 

Thanks but no thanks. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

Joe is upset that Iowa & New Hampshire are the first two states for the Democratic nomination. There aren't enough African Americans or Latinos in those states .

Adrienne is still hopeful that the Super Pac can help Biden finance the Super Tuesday races.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, oakville said:

Mika promoted KYV at 8:40 am. Mika said that respect before friendship is key to a successful career.

What would Mika know about respect? Or for that matter friendship? She only interacts with people who can be of some service to her.  

• Love 6

Is anyone else impressed with John Heilemann's elegant way of combining flattery of J&M with subterfuge trolling? I can't quite put my finger on it, but I can sense it, very strongly, and it's hilarious. 

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, neona said:

Is anyone else impressed with John Heilemann's elegant way of combining flattery of J&M with subterfuge trolling? I can't quite put my finger on it, but I can sense it, very strongly, and it's hilarious. 

Yes! He is a master! You can tell by the look on Joe's face sometimes that he thinks he  catches a whiff but isn't quite sure enough to call JH on it.

Also, Heilemann is an inch taller than Joe which counts for a lot on Intimidation Avenue in Scarborough Country.

• LOL 4

My only issue with Heilemann is that he sometimes stumbles over words because he speaks hurriedly.  I wish he'd slow down.   

Same problem with Jamiche Alcindor, and don't even get me started on Eugene. 😒

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Woah, I see Hans Nichols knows how to light up the Scarboroughs.  ... They threw it to Hans who then asked Joe something about some obscure football coach(?) and then launched into his thoughts on Haley and "whatever you talk about on this chit chat show" . . . boom!  Joe looked like somebody kicked him in the nuts and Mika like she was going to snap her pen in half.   It must have made them furious because now Hans is trying to "clarify" his comment after they came back from the break.  Tattletales.

Needless to say we'll never see him again on the show.

It is both helpful and very weird to miss the show and then reconstruct it from this thread.  Thanks to all for the solid observations.  Had to look up Hans Nichols, and he is familiar from other MSNBC shows.  I am hoping he is on the segment that is preserved on the app, because the “chit-chat” comment is worth hunting down!  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Woah, I see Hans Nichols knows how to light up the Scarboroughs.  Earlier in the show they were talking about soccer and then moved on to Nikki Haley.  They threw it to Hans who then asked Joe something about some obscure football coach(?) and then launched into his thoughts on Haley and "whatever you talk about on this chit chat show" . . . boom!  Joe looked like somebody kicked him in the nuts and Mika like she was going to snap her pen in half.   It must have made them furious because now Hans is trying to "clarify" his comment after they came back from the break.  Tattletales.

I am so sorry I missed the show this morning because this sounds hilarious.  A chit-chat show?  Damn, what a burn. It had to be an intentional insult by Hans.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Found this online re Hans Nichols - it's a wedding announcement but it has his background.

Considering his background and education, they're lucky he didn't call it "this stunningly superficial chit chat show". 

Mr. Nichols, also 33, is a White House correspondent for Bloomberg News. He graduated magna cum laude from Cornell; he received a master’s in political theory from the London School of Economics and a law degree from George Washington University. He was a Fulbright scholar in international justice in Sierra Leone in 2005.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

Every sentence of that description got more and more impressive. 

And then I read the last line and was like "holy shit."

ETA Impeachment testimony begins Wednesday, will Joe and Mika actually bother to stick around for three full hours?

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

Sounds like maybe the guy is British?

"Chit chat" may not be so pejorative to Brits.

Not really pejorative to Americans either.

MJ isn't exactly some stern debate at the Foreign Policy Council.

11 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Woah, I see Hans Nichols knows how to light up the Scarboroughs.  Earlier in the show they were talking about soccer and then moved on to Nikki Haley.  They threw it to Hans who then asked Joe something about some obscure football coach(?) and then launched into his thoughts on Haley and "whatever you talk about on this chit chat show" . . . boom!  Joe looked like somebody kicked him in the nuts and Mika like she was going to snap her pen in half.   It must have made them furious because now Hans is trying to "clarify" his comment after they came back from the break.  Tattletales.

Oh, it took me a while, but are you referring to the Fibonacci quote?  He was a medieval mathematician.  Hans was snarkily saying something about numbers and how Joe could show off how smart he is by making the numbers into a Fibonacci sequence, a series of numbers and calculation named for Fibonacci. Then was the chit-chat comment.  The first part of this, implying Joe is not smart, was just as insulting as the second part.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, freddi said:

It is both helpful and very weird to miss the show and then reconstruct it from this thread.  Thanks to all for the solid observations.  Had to look up Hans Nichols, and he is familiar from other MSNBC shows.  I am hoping he is on the segment that is preserved on the app, because the “chit-chat” comment is worth hunting down!  

Hans got in trouble on one of his first appearances on Morning Joe several years ago. He was in Germany covering a NATO meeting & was excited to show Mika & Joe a German tabloid newspaper that had a juicy gossip story on someone in the Obama administration that also contained topless photos of women. Hans showed the wrong page of the tabloid & Mika started freaking out about tabloids having photos of topless German women.

Hans reminds me of Dwight Shrute in the Office.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Joe, Mika, and Willie are in the studio.  The top story is the race for the Dem nomination.  Polls in NH show Biden in the lead.  However, former Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick is considering a run.  Joe says Elizabeth Warren hit a ceiling.  Eddie Glaude said the polls reflect a fissure in the party. 

Half of NH voters will not support Mike Bloomberg.  Willie said Bloomberg is planning to skip the first four primaries.  The panel said these data could change.

Seems Joe is already turning on Bloomberg like he turned on Biden and now Warren.  Mika says Deval Patrick thinks he can unite the party.  WaPo Eugene is unsure that Deval will change anything.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 4

There is a question of whether John Bolton will testify in the inquiry.  Joe said Bolton got a big book deal, according to rumors.  A former federal prosecutor, Barbara McQuaid, joined.  She said that the transcripts thus far are damaging, and this is a wake up call. She said Jim Jordan is an attack dog. Not exactly earth shattering, Barbara.  Most hearings in Congress involve a lot of attacks on the opposition.  

WaPo Eugene has a column in today's WaPo about partisan solidarity in DC.  Maybe Barbara should read it.

Edited by nittanycougar
3 minutes ago, oakville said:

Joe disclosed that Steve Ratner manages Bloomberg's finances. I wonder why it wasn't disclosed last week ?

Holy cheese and crackers why wasn't this disclosed before?  All the times they have discussed Bloomberg and this tidbit slipped their tiny little noggins?  Good grief.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Found this online re Hans Nichols - it's a wedding announcement but it has his background.

Considering his background and education, they're lucky he didn't call it "this stunningly superficial chit chat show". 

Mr. Nichols, also 33, is a White House correspondent for Bloomberg News. He graduated magna cum laude from Cornell; he received a master’s in political theory from the London School of Economics and a law degree from George Washington University. He was a Fulbright scholar in international justice in Sierra Leone in 2005.

Thanks for this teddysmom as after the discussion, I strolled over to this Twitter feed to see how many high fives he was getting and you can tell just by his header page this is an accomplished young man.  Apparently MSNBC wasn't angry with him yesterday as every time I tuned in (at least in the morning) there was Hans in all his wonderful glory . . . snort.

He must be relieved he won't be invited back to chit chat with those two clods any time soon.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Yes, yes, but can I still say that he needs to not wear those glasses?  His entire head is beige, he needs some darker glasses.  I feel better--I've been thinking this for years.

Loved the Niki Haley lambasting this AM. They have a lot of fun with Mike Pence waiting for the bus to drive over him!

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, freddi said:

Oh, it took me a while, but are you referring to the Fibonacci quote?  He was a medieval mathematician.  Hans was snarkily saying something about numbers and how Joe could show off how smart he is by making the numbers into a Fibonacci sequence, a series of numbers and calculation named for Fibonacci. Then was the chit-chat comment.  The first part of this, implying Joe is not smart, was just as insulting as the second part.

Oh goodness I don't know freddi as to be honest I mostly listen with less than half my brain depending on who the guests/topics are at a given time but that sequence does fit the timeframe.   Joe just looked completely stunned and had zero comeback while the Hans is lucky he and The Mrs. weren't in the same room as I am sure than pen she was clutching would have gone straight into his jugular.  The last time I saw her with such unchecked rage was many years ago when she and Heilemann got into something and they both looked like they were going to launch themselves over the table at one another.  Joe quickly stepped in, separated them and threw the show into a break while Halperin just sat there with that smug, satisfied grin of his.

7 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Loved the Niki Haley lambasting this AM.

This hasn't been a great week for book launches has it?   And I never, ever would have thought that the attacks would come from the right.  Amazing times we live in right now.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I don't think I've ever seen two people whose job it is to report the news care so little about the news. The country is on the eve of a process to start an event that has only happened a handful of times in history. And these two couldn't be bothered to work an additional hour.

(Although, to be fair, it would increase their workload by fifty percent. From two to a whopping three hours.)

Joe, you do know that anyone can look up political donations? In addition to the candidates you listed that somehow show that Trump is a secret Democrat, he also donated to noted liberal firebrands Mitch McConnell, Mitt Romney, John McCain and. . . Rudy Giuliani. (I only listed 2012 and before. It wasn't because he was getting ready to run for president.)

Admiral McRaven (ret.) was impressive. But it was both funny and sad that Joe was blathering so much that McRaven had trouble figuring out what question Joe was actually trying to ask.

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Admiral McRaven (ret.) was impressive. But it was both funny and sad that Joe was blathering so much that McRaven had trouble figuring out what question Joe was actually trying to ask.

I am a big fan of Admiral McRaven and am so glad he is laying waste to the myth that the upper echelons of the military have to keep their mouths shut.  I admire him greatly and thought he did a good job of trying to figure out what Joe was trying to do in that segment.

• Love 4

(Although, to be fair, it would increase their workload by fiftypercent. From two to a whopping three hours.)

I beg to differ.  At 8:00 they repeat what was shown from 6-6:30 approx., so they only "work" 2 1/2 hours max.  WORK is in quotations on purpose.

Anyone who has seen The Da Vinci Code, which is 7/8 of the planet, knows what a fibonnacii (sp?) sequence is...

• LOL 2
42 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Holy cheese and crackers why wasn't this disclosed before?  All the times they have discussed Bloomberg and this tidbit slipped their tiny little noggins?  Good grief.

Pretty sure he was also a KYV donor and conference supporter. Or was. Joe’s band played at a Bloomberg event too, if I recall correctly.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

Oh goodness I don't know freddi as to be honest I mostly listen with less than half my brain depending on who the guests/topics are at a given time but that sequence does fit the timeframe.   Joe just looked completely stunned and had zero comeback while the Hans is lucky he and The Mrs. weren't in the same room as I am sure than pen she was clutching would have gone straight into his jugular.  The last time I saw her with such unchecked rage was many years ago when she and Heilemann got into something and they both looked like they were going to launch themselves over the table at one another.  Joe quickly stepped in, separated them and threw the show into a break while Halperin just sat there with that smug, satisfied grin of his.

Fascinating!  The reaction was totally cut from the version on the MSNBC app!  Thanks! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, XOQueens said:

Pretty sure he was also a KYV donor and conference supporter. Or was. Joe’s band played at a Bloomberg event too, if I recall correctly.

Joe's band could perform at the Bloomberg campaign launch!

I don't think Joe ever forgave Trump for not letting his band perform at his Inauguration in 2017. It would have been great publicity for Joe.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

I am a big fan of Admiral McRaven and am so glad he is laying waste to the myth that the upper echelons of the military have to keep their mouths shut.  I admire him greatly and thought he did a good job of trying to figure out what Joe was trying to do in that segment.

You should check out Adm. McRaven's speech at the University of Texas a few years ago.  I would link it; but I am unsure how to attach on this platform. The theme was life lessons that he learned from SEAL training.  It is one of the most impressive and inspirational speeches I have ever heard.

• Love 2

Applebees?

I heard it was the parking lot of Popeye's, to celebrate the return of the Chicken sandwich. 

I finally found the Hans Nichols clip. It sounds like Hans and Joe have had some run ins in the past.  I loved the "maybe Joe can do some Math and show us how smart he is".  Like Joe knows what the Fibonacci sequence is.  

I didn't see where he called the show "chit chat", he was referring to the speculation that Haley has some hidden agenda to replace Pence, etc, and said "until we know for sure, it's just morning chit chat". 

Did he say it earlier? 

I did catch Mika's "Monday Motivation": Don't be friends with people you work with. Respect before Friendship.  I'll find it and post in the Hosts thread, because we all need to do what Meowka tells us. 

Mika just because your fellow employees at MSNBC can't stand you doesn't mean the rest of us don't have relationships with people at work. 

I imagine this is Mika going around brow beating female MSNBC anchors, etc to do something with KYV, not have drinks with male coworkers, make sure she okays any pregnancies, 

image.png.c696973b53c19c81dda06e3eb7d0dcaa.png

Edited by teddysmom
I can't get both the images to delete
  • LOL 3

I am a big fan of Admiral McRaven and am so glad he is laying waste to the myth that the upper echelons of the military have to keep their mouths shut.

They do when they're still on active duty, but once they're retired, they're private citizens and can say whatever the hell they want (looking at you, Jim Mattis!).  Perhaps they stay quiet out of force of habit.

1 hour ago, oakville said:

I don't think Joe ever forgave Trump for not letting his band perform at his Inauguration in 2017. It would have been great publicity for Joe.

Oh?  So there were people watching?

6 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

She said Jim Jordan is an attack dog. Not exactly earth shattering, Barbara.

In fairness, she was answering Willie's question about what it means to have put him on the committee, and there really isn't any other answer.

4 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

All the times they have discussed Bloomberg and this tidbit slipped their tiny little noggins?

Probably didn't occur to any of them until some NBC lawyer told them they had to fess up.

The last time I saw her with such unchecked rage was many years ago when she and Heilemann got into something and they both looked like they were going to launch themselves over the table at one another. 

As if I didn't already have enough reasons to love Heilemann.

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

I don't think I've ever seen two people whose job it is to report the news care so little about the news. The country is on the eve of a process to start an event that has only happened a handful of times in history. And these two couldn't be bothered to work an additional hour.

If I thought for five seconds that these two spend all day engaged in prep work, like pretty much every other on-air host does, I could forgive them for not wanting to do a full three hours.  Three hours actually is a lot of live air time, if you're having to prep for it and demonstrate knowledge every second.  Nobody else on the network has a three hour block, nor do they probably want it.  But dammit, if you're not going to do the job, give it to someone else who will.  At a minimum, detach the third hour, give it a new name and a new host so the hosts of MJ don't have to pretend they haven't moved from the breakfast nook to the bedroom.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

But they don't prepare and they get paid a fucking fortune, and they have a staff booking guests and doing all the heavy lifting. 

For $8 million a year, I'd sit there till noon and discuss politics.

Try and stop me. 

• Love 8

Well, it used to be that Joe disappeared around 7:45am-8:00 most days.  Now it seems Mika has joined him.  The clue should have been the checkered shirt & no tie.  He was ready to bail from the get-go.  I have only one thing to add - when Joe and Willie were talking about Sean Spicer's elimination from Dancing With The Stars and then somehow segued into his love of Dawson's Creek, would it have killed Mika to stop acting like such a sourpuss (I'd use stronger words, but they would probably cause me to be banned from the board).  She looked so pissed off that he was talking for approximately 5 minutes about something other than news.  I really have to wonder about Mika.  She's made it plain she doesn't like movies or tv, doesn't listen to much music and seems to hate sports.  I'd have a real hard time interacting with anyone that closed off from life.  I bet the only books she reads are political.  God forbid she read a mystery or something light!

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Linda956 said:

I bet the only books she reads are political. 

Can't tell by what comes out of her mouth.  She appears to be the least intellectually curious person ever to grace a network political show.  What are the odds she's read the Mueller report or even one of the deposition transcripts?

42 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

For $8 million a year, I'd sit there till noon and discuss politics.

There probably aren't any limits on what I'd do for $8M, including unspeakable things with inanimate objects.  Poor and desperate, that's moi.  And yes, blindingly jealous of a woman who wouldn't know honest work if it hit her in the facelift.

• Love 7