Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

I have had the luxury of being the very youngest amongst the very oldest in my family.  I have lived with my off the boat Czechoslovakian ancestors who could barely communicate with me as they lived in their communities that they carved out after coming to our wonderful country which they love dearly.  Each generation expanded that reach (not without some discomfort as my mom told me how she had a whopping two weeks to learn English when she started school or she would get socked (please keep in mind she was five) but learned she did and taught her parents and others our language and they happily assimilated into America but for those that were not born here were always more comfortable in their native language hence them smiling and nodding at me a lot.

It pains me to hear Lowry talk like this as I am pretty sure they are cherry picking folks to hold up as evidence of who is not assimilating.  Anyone that would walk thousands of miles to get here wants to be here and shame on you if you think differently as you yourself probably don't know the first thing about sacrifice.  I would imagine having to share a bathroom growing up is probably horrifying and I would bet he doesn't grasp the irony of not being able to communicate with the guys that mow his lawn.

Jerk.

I have some thoughts on this topic, which I will discuss in Small Talk. 

• Love 1

Joe and Mika are in the studio with Willie and Susan del Percio.

This morning, hypocrisy alert!  Joe criticized Trump for making fun of Jeff Sessions' accent during a rally.  Joe, you dumbass, you were making fun of Lindsay Graham's accent just yesterday.

Polls in Iowa show a four way race.   Warren in first place and Biden in fourth. Joe says it is hard to see things getting better in New Hampshire. Seems like Joe and Meeks are searching for a new candidate to support.   They are so done with Uncle Joe.

Next, public hearings in the impeachment inquiry begin next werk.  Mika did a dramatic reading of a deposition transcript of Amb Bill Taylor.  Do they do the readings just to give Mika something to do?  She read it so fast that it was impossible to follow.

Mika called the president a "wannabe dictator." 

Edited by nittanycougar
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, cased said:

Joe’s tie and Mika’s shirt are matching today. 

Mika wears that shirt frequently. Her wardrobe choices have declined since she moved to the Florida bunker.

1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

Joe and Mika are in the studio with Willie and Susan del Percio.

This morning, hypocrisy alert!  Joe criticized Trump for making fun of Jeff Sessions' accent during a rally.  Joe, you dumbass, you were making fun of Lindsay Graham's accent just yesterday.

Joe seems to have no memory of what he did yesterday.

Edited by oakville
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

She finally started wearing tops that downplayed her new chest because she couldn't take the comments that people were making. The second enlargement was generally regarded as overkill. (Not just here - Mediaite, Daily Beast, twitter, etc).

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

This is now annoying AF! Senator Harris marks the fifth interview of a Democratic presidential candidate that Joe has decided to skip.

The breakfast nook is destroying this show. It allows Joe to pontificate away at the top of the hour, shoot the shit with the regulars for a while . . . and leave whenever he wants. Do your damn job.

Ratner: It's great that you're running a positive campaign. . . but why don't you attack Senator Warren's health care plan? 

Harris: I'd rather talk about my plan.

Ratner: But don't you owe it to the people of America to condemn her plan?

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, xaxat said:

This is now annoying AF! Senator Harris marks the fifth interview of a Democratic presidential candidate that Joe has decided to skip.

The breakfast nook is destroying this show. It allows Joe to pontificate away at the top of the hour, shoot the shit with the regulars for a while . . . and leave whenever he wants. Do your damn job.

Ratner: It's great that you're running a positive campaign. . . but why don't you attack Senator Warren's health care plan? 

Harris: I'd rather talk about my plan.

Ratner: But don't you owe it to the people of America to condemn her plan?

It's very strange that Joe leaves all the interviews of the Democratic candidates.

Ratner is very upset about Warren's M4A plan. It will increase his taxes while forcing him to accept regular healthcare.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, oakville said:

It's very strange that Joe leaves all the interviews of the Democratic candidates.

And sent his wife -- in her loungewear -- to go interview Joe Biden. 

I am hoping this guy's contract is up -- and SOON -- and they turn this show over to Willie or hire Shepard Smith whose show I would watch for the full three hours instead of watching this mess with either the hairdryer on or my finger planted permanently on the mute button.

Joe is gone for Valerie Jarret.  Mika has no questions for her.  Interrupts her to kick it to Willie.
Sen. Kane is on and finishes talking, Mika says, "aaaaaaaalllll right.  Thanks.  Congrats on the big win.  And now this."  She asked him no questions.  Joe asked him no questions.
Some dude is on to discuss the lizard Stone and when he's done, she does, "all RIGHT.  [reads his name and title] [overemphasizes Thank you VERY much] [kicks it to commercial]"
She asked him no questions.  Joe asked him no questions.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I am hoping this guy's contract is up -- and SOON -- and they turn this show over to Willie or hire Shepard Smith whose show I would watch for the full three hours instead of watching this mess with either the hairdryer on or my finger planted permanently on the mute button.

It rings a bell that they signed new contracts not that long ago. I remember moping for most of the day when it was announced.

They definitely should give MJ's third hour to Shep! It's not like they use it. I bet he would get killer ratings and then he could nibble away at their second hour and then ... and then ...

(Nothing against Willie, he's sorta just too white bread).

3 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Joe is gone for Valerie Jarret.  Mika has no questions for her.  Interrupts her to kick it to Willie.
Sen. Kane is on and finishes talking, Mika says, "aaaaaaaalllll right.  Thanks.  Congrats on the big win.  And now this."  She asked him no questions.  Joe asked him no questions.
Some dude is on to discuss the lizard Stone and when he's done, she does, "all RIGHT.  [reads his name and title] [overemphasizes Thank you VERY much] [kicks it to commercial]"

And for this, Joey makes $99,000 per week. Plus whatever Her Nibs brings in.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It's remarkable how Mika & Joe refuse to participate in their own show.

I am surprised that high profile guests like Senator Kamala Harris or Senator Tim Kaine or Valerie Jarret would even bother coming on the show.

• Love 11
48 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

They don't care what anyone has to say. This show is a platform for Joe to show off his stupidity and boorish behavior, and for Mika to hawk her shaminar. 

They want the fame. Period. They don't give a shit about politics, or civics, or anything other than themselves.  Joe wants to be Paul McCartney, and Mika thinks she's white Oprah/Gwyneth Paltrow/Sheryl Sandberg. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

They don't care what anyone has to say. This show is a platform for Joe to show off his stupidity and boorish behavior, and for Mika to hawk her shaminar. 

They want the fame. Period. They don't give a shit about politics, or civics, or anything other than themselves.  Joe wants to be Paul McCartney, and Mika thinks she's white Oprah/Gwyneth Paltrow/Sheryl Sandberg. 

Or maybe Bonnie to Clyde would be more appropriate. I would say Meeka was Yoko Ono to Joe's John Lennon but that would be insulting to John and Yoko.

My best friend calls MJ "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" - and she may not be far off.  

• Love 1

I have been commenting for several weeks about Joe disappearing and never returning around 7:45am most mornings and one of the comments was that he had to leave early to take his kid to school.  Assuming this was not a joke, I have a real problem with this guy's unprofessional behavior.  If he and Mika are reportedly earning $8 million a year, he can afford to hire a Nanny or someone else to take his kid to school and allow him to, you know, actually WORK!  Between this and all the other crap he does (not coming to the NY studio, ranting & raving, constantly interrupting guests, etc.), I have to assume he and Mika have something on the heads at NBC. I also can't stand all the time spent with Mika's "Know your Value."  Yes, all the other show hosts have books out and plug them, but not every day.  With Mika, it comes across as so hypocritical considering "Know You Value" means, sleeping with the boss to get a better job position. That's your value, Mika even if you want to pretend at your meetings/forums with other women that's not the case.  There is no other explanation for these two being allowed to continue on their show when as stated, they could go with Willie or anyone else.  I second Shep Smith.  I think he would be fine for this show.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Linda956 said:

have been commenting for several weeks about Joe disappearing and never returning around 7:45am most mornings and one of the comments was that he had to leave early to take his kid to school.  Assuming this was not a joke, I have a real problem with this guy's unprofessional behavior.  If he and Mika are reportedly earning $8 million a year, he can afford to hire a Nanny or someone else to take his kid to school and allow him to, you know, actually WORK!  Between this and all the other crap he does (not coming to the NY studio, ranting & raving, constantly interrupting guests, etc.), I have to assume he and Mika have something on the heads at NBC. I also can't stand all the time spent with Mika's "Know your Value."  Yes, all the other show hosts have books out and plug them, but not every day.  With Mika, it comes across as so hypocritical considering "Know You Value" means, sleeping with the boss to get a better job position. That's your value, Mika even if you want to pretend at your meetings/forums with other women that's not the case.  There is no other explanation for these two being allowed to continue on their show when as stated, they could go with Willie or anyone else.  I second Shep Smith.  I think he would be fine for this show.

I wasn't aware Susan Scarborough lives in Jupiter FL. 

Was this recently, because if she lives in CT and they were in NYC, I'd love to know how Joe is going to get from 30 Rock to CT to take his kid to school.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Linda956 said:

I have to assume he and Mika have something on the heads at NBC.

They don't.  What they have are excellent ratings because people keep watching them. 

Third quarter ratings:  https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/q3-2019-ratings-msnbc-remains-the-second-most-watched-basic-cable-network/416001/

Morning Joe beat CNN New Day in total viewers for the 18th consecutive quarter and among adults 25-54 for the 9th consecutive quarter.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

My best friend calls MJ "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" - and she may not be far off.  

After reading Landsnark's summation of today's show, all I can think of is J&M singing "Workin' in the Coal Mine," especially this part:

Five o'clock in the mornin'
I'm already up and gone
Lord, I'm so tired
How long can this go on?

I think that last line belongs to the viewers, though.

• LOL 4
4 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe is opposed to using leeches for medical care.

But I guess not opposed to marrying one.

5 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe made fun of people who tweet in support of M4A. Joe said they should not use blenders.

The panel is in an uproar over M4A. It's the worst idea ever according to Joe.

Oh c'mon Joe, there have been worse ideas (read: his garage band).

• LOL 11
5 hours ago, suomi said:

She finally started wearing tops that downplayed her new chest because she couldn't take the comments that people were making. The second enlargement was generally regarded as overkill. (Not just here - Mediaite, Daily Beast, twitter, etc).

KYCS (Know Your Cup Size)

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, izabella said:

They don't.  What they have are excellent ratings because people keep watching them. 

Third quarter ratings:  https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/q3-2019-ratings-msnbc-remains-the-second-most-watched-basic-cable-network/416001/

I wonder how much those ratings are now generated despite Joe and Mika's presence. 

For me, the draw is literally everyone else on the show. Willie, Eugene, Meacham, Natasha Bertrand. . . Barnicle? Not so much. . . the politicians etc.

Their bookers really earn their money. Especially since their guests have probably guessed that there's a good chance Joe will walk out before the interview.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I wonder how much those ratings are now generated despite Joe and Mika's presence. 

For me, the draw is literally everyone else on the show. Willie, Eugene, Meacham, Natasha Bertrand. . . Barnicle? Not so much. . . the politicians etc.

Seriously, this is like the Howard Stern show (from the Private Parts movie).  Half listen because they love him and half listen because they hate him.

• Love 3

Before Joe's mom died, long before IIRC, there was an oblique reference to Susan living in FL.

It came up in the context of the cover story for the big move from CT to FL which, according to Cheat Sheet, saves Joey half a million in taxes every year. Her Nibs saves a little less because she makes a little less but she still saves a considerable amount.

But it wasn't because of taxes, oh no, they moved to FL to be closer to both of their mothers! It wasn't that the mothers were moved to FL for their convenience. I remember posting that yeah, they just follow their elderly moms around, wherever those two old zanies decide to land. Joe and Mika were just along for the ride and it just happened to end in FL!

So, that's when it came up somehow that Joe's two youngest kids live in FL! And so does Susan!

Imagine this, imagine that, yadda yadda, totally not our doing!

You could at least halfway respect someone who said oh hell yes, we moved because of the tax incentive to do so. It's the lying and subterfuge that sticks in one's craw. 

It's the tax thing, and Kanye thinks he can eventually get elected in FL - and his National Archives wedding photo with Nantucket Barbie will be prominently featured in his campaign literachur.

I love watching a long con unfold.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Seriously, this is like the Howard Stern show (from the Private Parts movie).  Half listen because they love him and half listen because they hate him.

I mostly watch for the snark because no one else on TV acts like these two.  It is fascinating to have two married people showing so much of their business on a show that is supposed to be news television.  Now I understand why many corporations don't allow married couples to work together.

I like Willie and John Meacham and enjoy their segments in a more serious way.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, suomi said:

Her Nibs saves a little less because she makes a little less but she still saves a considerable amount.

I am assuming she found a discount wine bin in the area that delivers . . . blech.

• LOL 1
37 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

I like Willie and John Meacham and enjoy their segments in a more serious way.

I couldn't agree more.  If those two were removed from the show I wouldn't touch the remote as I too love Willie and Meacham.  There is a lot of talent out there, MSNBC just needs to utilize it.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

I couldn't agree more.  If those two were removed from the show I wouldn't touch the remote as I too love Willie and Meacham.  There is a lot of talent out there, MSNBC just needs to utilize it.

I would add Heidi Pryzbela. Willie & Heidi as co hosts

• Love 4
5 hours ago, suomi said:

Before Joe's mom died, long before IIRC, there was an oblique reference to Susan living in FL.

It came up in the context of the cover story for the big move from CT to FL which, according to Cheat Sheet, saves Joey half a million in taxes every year. Her Nibs saves a little less because she makes a little less but she still saves a considerable amount.

But it wasn't because of taxes, oh no, they moved to FL to be closer to both of their mothers! It wasn't that the mothers were moved to FL for their convenience. I remember posting that yeah, they just follow their elderly moms around, wherever those two old zanies decide to land. Joe and Mika were just along for the ride and it just happened to end in FL!

So, that's when it came up somehow that Joe's two youngest kids live in FL! And so does Susan!

Imagine this, imagine that, yadda yadda, totally not our doing!

You could at least halfway respect someone who said oh hell yes, we moved because of the tax incentive to do so. It's the lying and subterfuge that sticks in one's craw. 

It's the tax thing, and Kanye thinks he can eventually get elected in FL - and his National Archives wedding photo with Nantucket Barbie will be prominently featured in his campaign literachur.

I love watching a long con unfold.

Very well said!. I am pretty sure that Joe's mom was in a Connecticut nursing home near Joe before she was moved to Florida.

I think Mika's mom was living in Virginia after Dr Z passed away. Mika did mention once that the doctor recommended that Mika's mom move to a warmer climate for health reasons.

It made perfect financial sense for Mika & Joe to move to Florida & to be closer to Joe's family.

Joe mentioned that he was working hard on trying to convince his brother George to stop supporting President Trump. Florida is a swing state & Joe made the sacrifice to get a few more votes against Trump for the next election.

Isn't Susan Scarborough from Florida? She used to work for Gov Jeb Bush. I am sure she would be happy to move back to Florida.

• Love 3

Joe is in the studio with Willie, Donnie and Elyse.  Mika is off.

The show opened with a clip of Louisiana Sen.  Kennedy insulting Pelosi, saying she is dumb.  Hypocrisy alert: Joe is outraged that people degrade themselves by insulting others.  Joe forgets that he has spent entire shows hurling insults at the president.   But that was ok because the rules are different for him.

Joe and Willie talked about a possible candidacy of Michael Bloomberg.  Bloomberg is collecting signatures to get on state ballots.  The panel wondered how he will appeal to people outside of New York.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Joe (in the context of the smarmy Sessions commercial):  “If someone insulted my wife, called her ugly, I’d spend the rest of my life making him pay.”  

What do you mean, “If”?  I remember those remarks about Mika’s alleged cosmetic surgery.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Joe and Willie did a segment about impeachment.  Joe said approval ratings are a key to how senators will vote.  Jonathan Swan from Axios said no Republican senator will vote for it.

Noted constitutional scholar Donnie Deutsch said that the Democrats must frame impeachment as a constitutional issue.

Edited by nittanycougar
edited to specify Swan was talking about Republicans
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Gosh I'll admit it, those video clips of the Berlin wall coming down made me cry.  Didn't even mind Brokaw being on which for me is huge.

So I see Isaacson is there to join in with Joe and Brokaw for a meeting of the Old Know It All White Guys club soon to be adding in Bloomberg.  Sigh.  I actually like Bloomberg, of all the billionaires he is in my top three but dude your money could be so much better spent.  You're not going to be president, not everyone gets to be an astronaut.  Throw that money at helping people pay for electricity, food and health care.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Joe said that Bloomberg can do well in the Super Tuesday primaries because he can advertise in those states.

Isaacson is on the Board of Directors of one of Bloomberg's charities. He is not a neutral guest.

• Useful 2

Hey Donnie:

Doesn't matter how much money you have if no one votes for you or really wants you to run. 

I could be crazy, but I think the US has had enough of billionaires thinking they have the answers. 

If the question is "Who should I call to decorate my yacht, or where can I buy a fleet of helicopters", then yeah they might have the answer. 

3 hours ago, freddi said:

“If someone insulted my wife, called her ugly, I’d spend the rest of my life making him pay.”

He said her face was bleeding and I believe he has also called her crazy and maybe deranged.  So yeah six of one half a dozen of the other. 

😀

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Joe said that Bloomberg can do well in the Super Tuesday primaries because he can advertise in those states.

He can advertise all he wants. That won't equal votes. I mean, the Morning Joe crew really can't stay on message here. For weeks, all we've talked about is how Biden is the only one who can appeal to the white working class *and* older black voters who are the backbone of the Dem party. But now *Bloomberg* can appeal to them? All the money in the world isn't going to make Bloomberg appealing to black voters, if almost all of the current Dem candidates are having trouble getting their support. Plus, as Elise Jordan said, Bloomberg is known for strict gun control and for a soda tax. THAT is not going to appeal to the white working class in the midwest. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
42 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Plus, as Elise Jordan said, Bloomberg is known for strict gun control and for a soda tax.

As soon as I heard about Bloomberg possibly running, I immediately thought about "soda tax."  As silly as it might sound, I think that might hurt him.

• Love 4

Plus, as Elise Jordan said, Bloomberg is known for strict gun control & for soda tax

As soon as I heard about Bloomberg possibly running, I immediately thought about "soda tax."  As silly as it might sound, I think that might hurt him

YEPPER. Remember Sarah Palin with her giant Big Gulp on stage as a FU? The soda tax thing should have been the very first thing Joe talked about.

Got to get a Dumb Southern Accent Joe reprise today.  Loved it when Donny or Heilman called Sessions commercial "a hostage video!"

• Love 3
7 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe supported the Berlin Wall coming down.

Bold take by Doucheborough....

He and Mika are the personification of DC cocktail chatter come to life....

Barely watch anymore.....appreciate oakville's work here.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Woah, I see Hans Nichols knows how to light up the Scarboroughs.  Earlier in the show they were talking about soccer and then moved on to Nikki Haley.  They threw it to Hans who then asked Joe something about some obscure football coach(?) and then launched into his thoughts on Haley and "whatever you talk about on this chit chat show" . . . boom!  Joe looked like somebody kicked him in the nuts and Mika like she was going to snap her pen in half.   It must have made them furious because now Hans is trying to "clarify" his comment after they came back from the break.  Tattletales.

Needless to say we'll never see him again on the show.

• LOL 9

Uh, Joe? You wonder why the US has been reluctant to acknowledge Russia in recent years?

Because Putin decided to invade a sovereign country and annex part of it.

Should we just get over that?

So Joe flies out to the West Coast to interview Ringo Starr, but can't be bothered to teleconference with the Democratic nominees. 

Click.

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10