Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

But they don't prepare and they get paid a fucking fortune, and they have a staff booking guests and doing all the heavy lifting. 

For $8 million a year, I'd sit there till noon and discuss politics.

Try and stop me. 

Or they could stay an extra 10 minutes and watch Stephanie Ruhle and Carole Lee break that John Bolton story spilling the tea at a Goldman Sachs speech he gave "off the record".  I know they have plenty of supplies to take notes but I have to say with all of those important phone calls from around the world they are always fielding I would think one of their rich pals woulda slid that tidbit across the table at them.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Linda956 said:

I'd have a real hard time interacting with anyone that closed off from life.

I have a sister just like her.  Used to fly into fits if we talked about Project Runway too long (meaning 60 seconds).  Unless they control all aspects of their surroundings (especially things that may distract from them) duck and run.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Can't tell by what comes out of her mouth.  She appears to be the least intellectually curious person ever to grace a network political show.

With an exception, I think that every single person on the network is professionally excellent at what they do.  Outside of producing/reporting news, very nearly all of them could be successful professional policy wonks writing policy, high powered attorneys, professors teaching political theory, powerful lobbyists, State Department officials, powerful business execs, and actual politicians/statespersons.  Joe included, obviously.
There are a handful of others who are straight up news anchors, and their calling and is more limited to producing/reporting media vs being politically expert.  Willie, Jansing, Kristen Welker, Ayman, Peter Alexander, Alex Witt... all professional anchors, with hard news creds and can write stories, pursue stories and work successfully in the field.

And then there's Mika.  She has no interest in much.  She's incurious about the topic of her show, at least in comparison to every single other on-air talent that appears on the network.  As an example, I don't think she reads any of those papers they have on their morning desks.  Imagine for a moment Mika reading through each paper thoroughly, for content.  I can't.  I can only imagine she sits there on set either gossiping with the makeup people, haranguing Joe, daydreaming about cake, or just staring at a wall.  I can't even imagine her doing prep work.
How many times has she guest anchored or appeared on any other shows?  KYV claptrap aside, I presume the answer is never.
Her special skill, her value, is that she's comfortable in the studio.  It's so routine for her that she's bored with it and she mistakes that boredom for having succeeded, so she's smug to boot.  Being smug about simply being on set is her skill. 
She likes to think of herself as Nicole's patron (or is it matron?) which is ironic of course, because Nicole's show is the best thing on the network and Mika could learn A TON on how to be a professional from Nicole.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, teddysmom said:

But they don't prepare and they get paid a fucking fortune, and they have a staff booking guests and doing all the heavy lifting. 

For $8 million a year, I'd sit there till noon and discuss politics.

Try and stop me. 

$14 million! $8 mil for him and $6 mil for her.

I don't get why the authentic newsies at MSNBC haven't ousted them from the village with pitchforks and torches. (They could wear masks). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Mika and Joe are in the studio with Elyse and Willie.  The top story is impeachment hearing starting today.  Mika is using her very serious voice.

Bill Taylor and George Kent will testify today.  Joe said it really matters because this is history, and we will remember who put country first.  He said most players in Watergate are dead.  Joe, Jill Wine-Banks is still alive and is on the phone and ready for her interview!  

Joe said there may be undecided senators.  Joe said Donald Trump hates this process.  He said Trump hates the Constitution.  

On another note, I live in Washington, DC and work for a government agency  in downtown( not Justice or Congress).  Bars here are offering impeachment hearing specials.  I wonder who can do that at 11 am on a work day.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5

Rep. Tim Ryan was interviewed and gave an endorsement for Joe Biden.  He said Biden can connect with the working class voters.

That is a really interesting development.  Will Joe and Mika get back on the Biden train?

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 3
Just now, nittanycougar said:

Rep. Tim Ryan was interviewed and gave an endorsement for Joe Biden.  He said Biden can connect with the working class voters.

That is a really interesting development.

Hee, yes I saw that Sulking in Florida Scarborough flounced back on air just in time to help break that endorsement.  He's very low energy today, must be stewing about Williams/Wallace anchoring the impeachment coverage.  I wonder why the Mrs. is in the NYC studio?  Must be a fast breaking KYV update.

It's good to hear from Rep. Ryan.  I wish he could have gotten more traction as I would have liked to see him in the final group.  Coming from the Midwest, he speaks to me.

• Love 5

Ok, I gotta say with all the fantastical stories that have flown around out of this administration this chick with the faux Time Magazine cover is just the best.  Someone needs to speak with them about their "extreme vetting" process . . . 😀

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Why am I not surprised that even an impeachment couldn't get Joe's ass out of the bunker?

33 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

I wonder why the Mrs. is in the NYC studio?  Must be a fast breaking KYV update.

It's pretty sad that regular have come to expect that their presence in DC or NY is probably because of stuff other than their job.

Joe sees the newest Iowa poll. Warren slides two percentage points and it's because people hate MFA. Biden slides two percentage points and Joe points out that is within the margin of error. No reporting on aggregates or their trends. Actually it's seven point and Joe did a better job reporting it in the second hour with appropriate caveats.

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Why am I not surprised that even an impeachment couldn't get Joe's ass out of the bunker?

It's pretty sad that regular have come to expect that their presence in DC or NY is probably because of stuff other than their job.

Joe sees the newest Iowa poll. Warren slides two percentage points and it's because people hate MFA. Biden slides two percentage points and Joe points out that is within the margin of error. No reporting on aggregates or their trends. Actually it's seven point and Joe did a better job reporting it in the second hour with appropriate caveats.

Joe has to stay in Florida for tax purposes.

Joe's band is performing at the TGIF Friday's in Jupiter Florida for the lunchtime crowd .

Joe's band will be playing a few of their greatest anti - Trump hit songs.

• LOL 5

So, they decided to bail at eight. (They're back. Must have been a bagel break.)

Slow news day.

(Seriously though. How did MSNBC decide it was OK to have taped coverage this morning?)

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

He's very low energy today, must be stewing about Williams/Wallace anchoring the impeachment coverage.  I wonder why the Mrs. is in the NYC studio?  Must be a fast breaking KYV update.

How low energy is she today?  Her boobs'n'sweater are caffeinated fer sure, but she seems as if she's on medication or something.  I swear she's even speaking more slowly.  After the Rep endorsed Biden, she sighed and said Ok. 
Joe tried to give her dad and career bureaucrats a shout out, and she sighed and told us who is on the show this morning instead of commenting.

Wait... now she's perky and arguing with Joe, AND SHE IS WEARING A DIFFERENT SHIRT!  Her Bond villainess turtleneck is gone. 
What happened in the 8am block?  Did she spill something?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

How low energy is she today?  Her boobs'n'sweater are caffeinated fer sure, but she seems as if she's on medication or something.  I swear she's even speaking more slowly.  After the Rep endorsed Biden, she sighed and said Ok. 
Joe tried to give her dad and career bureaucrats a shout out, and she sighed and told us who is on the show this morning instead of commenting.

Wait... now she's perky and arguing with Joe, AND SHE IS WEARING A DIFFERENT SHIRT!  Her Bond villainess turtleneck is gone. 
What happened in the 8am block?  Did she spill something?

Oh no it was Joe that was low key, she looked quite pleased to be there and I am sure she had to change her outfit for whatever extravaganza she flew up there for.

I didn't see what she changed into, I wonder if it's her new KYV outfit (I'll try and post something from her Instagram in KYV).

• Love 2

Heileman is not supportive Michael Bloomberg running for the Democratic party.

Joe said Bloomberg could still win by avoiding the debates & paying for tv ads.

I think Joe would get a bonus if Bloomberg advertises on MSNBC.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Joe said Bloomberg could still win by avoiding the debates & paying for tv ads.

I think Joe would get a bonus if Bloomberg advertises on MSNBC.

He actually said this?  Wow, I guess Joe's looking for Bloomberg Bucks . . . wow.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

He actually said this?  Wow, I guess Joe's looking for Bloomberg Bucks . . . wow.

Yes!. Joe said Bloomberg could avoid campaigning in the first 4 states and focus on the Super Tuesday states. He can’t appear in the debates because he won’t take donations. Joe said the debates aren’t that important . 

Buying tv  ads is the key to victory according to Joe. 

Bloomberg could agree to appear on Morning Joe on a regular basis like Trump did in 2015 & 2016. 

1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

If he leaves he has to pay the same rate I do. 

ie poor loser without a million shady deductions

Bloomberg could agree to give federal tax breaks for people working from home based studios. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, oakville said:

Yes!. Joe said Bloomberg could avoid campaigning in the first 4 states and focus on the Super Tuesday states. He can’t appear in the debates because he won’t take donations. Joe said the debates aren’t that important . 

Buying tv  ads is the key to victory according to Joe. 

Isn't one of Joe's criticisms of Hilary is that she relied to much on TV and didn't connect with the people?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Isn't one of Joe's criticisms of Hilary is that she relied to much on TV and didn't connect with the people?

Joe did not address Hillary's  2016 campaign today.

Joe said that Bloomberg was a very popular Mayor of NYC. He helped rebuild NYC after the 9-11 terrorist attacks . Joe said that Bloomberg's "Stop & Frisk" policy was very successful at reducing crime.

Mika was very supportive of Bloomberg's  soda tax which she says helped reduce obesity in NYC.

Joe said that Bloomberg can spend hundreds of millions of dollars on tv ads to introduce himself to the country.

Joe is happy that Bloomberg is fiscally conservative  & socially progressive.

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, oakville said:

I love the smell of democracy in the morning . . . good grief what have we become and once again why are these two still on the air pushing this bullshit.

5 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika was very supportive of Bloomberg's  soda tax which she says helped reduce obesity in NYC.

Mika can bite me and my Big Gulp.  Fountain sodas rule!

Edited by Chloesmom
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

The top story is the testimony of Amb. Bill Taylor.  They showed Taylor testifying that that the president was interested in investigations of Biden.

Joe said the Republicans will focus on hearsay and the whistleblower.  Joe said the Republicans have no defense. Joe is unsure where the Republicans learned evidence law.  

John Meacham is on while Joe rants about Watergate.  Meacham talked about the Enlightenment and Nixon in San Clemente. He mentioned Dr. Z.

Mika was disturbed about the mistreatment of the witnesses.

Breaking News: Deval Patrick is in the race for the Dem nomination.  Jonathan Lemire says voters are frustrated by the number of candidates.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe said that Bloomberg's "Stop & Frisk" policy was very successful at reducing crime.

Joe is flat out wrong, for a variety of reasons.

Is Joe under house arrest? That's the best reason I can come up with for him still broadcasting from the breakfast nook this week. Maybe he's saving up work release days so he can be in DC for the trial in the Senate.

So strange seeing Richard Engle in studio. That clip of him watching incoming artillery was scary.

I swear Joe is pontificating longer and longer periods of time before he actually gets around to asking his questions for his guests.

• Love 9

Don't quote me on this but I think you could see Joe's sphincter tighten up when Meek's mentioned George Conway being on the air yesterday . . . . hee.  He must have been stewing yesterday.  Good, maybe you should hang around the NYC studio more.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Deval Patrick is in the race for the Dem nomination. 

Did they bring up his current employer, Bain Capital? 

Richard Engel can't stand Joe, for obvious reasons.  The look on his face while Joe was blathering on about whatever the fuck was "JFC will you shut up and just run the video?" 

What exactly does Mika do now other than gaze adoringly at Joe and throw to commercial or do video segment intros? 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 8
32 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Did they bring up his current employer, Bain Capital? 

Richard Engel can't stand Joe, for obvious reasons.  The look on his face while Joe was blathering on about whatever the fuck was "JFC will you shut up and just run the video?" 

Ahhh a rare moment when I am sorry I missed that.

And my company was a victim of Bain Capital so no thank you Deval Patrick.  Take your ill gotten gains elsewhere.

eta: you clueless twit.

Edited by Chloesmom
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Meacham talked about the Enlightenment and Nixon in San Clemente. He mentioned Dr. Z.

You know you're too focused on this show when George Kent briefly mentions Dr. Z in his opening statement, and the first thing you think is that Mika's going to climb all over this.  But she didn't.

1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

Richard Engel can't stand Joe, for obvious reasons. 

There's gotta be some ironclad language in these people's contracts that forces them to interact with any doofus the network requires, or I can't imagine an actual working international reporter like Richard Engel would get within a mile of the Gold Dust Twins without hurling.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

ou know you're too focused on this show when George Kent briefly mentions Dr. Z in his opening statement, and the first thing you think is that Mika's going to climb all over this.  But she didn't.

Joe mentioned her father yesterday and I swear she started swooning. It was beyond ridiculous. 

• Love 3

At one point Joe tried to pull his usual bullshit with Richard Engel, interrupting him in mid-sentence just as he began, but Engel just continued until he had finished his remark. Joe actually stopped and let him finish. Surely Joe respects Engel for his work even if Joe can't stand not being the alpha guy.

Edited by graybrown bird
Spelling.
  • Love 4

I was gone most of yesterday and didn't watch Morning Joe until late last night.  I have to say, the thing that had me laughing out loud was the moment near the end of hour 3 when Ari Melber came on and was drawing comparisons to the Impeachment hearings by quoting lyrics from rapper Little Wang and Mika cut him off mid-rap with "Okay, that's enough of that!"  The sheer look of horror on her face at his rapping was priceless!

Yeah, and the appearance by George Conway truly shocked me.  I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he goes home to Kellyanne.  He also was on Deadline: Whitehouse with Nicole Wallace yesterday as well.  I'm smiling at the thought of him becoming an "MSNBC Contributor."

• Love 5
1 hour ago, graybrown bird said:

At one point Joe tried to pull his usual bullshit with Richard Engle, interrupting him in mid-sentence just as he began, but Engle just continued until he had finished his remark. Joe actually stopped and let him finish. Surely Joe respects Engle for his work even if Joe can't stand not being the alpha guy.

I love Richard Engle. His reporting about the Kurds has been so deeply knowledgeable and passionate; you can tell he is just heartbroken by the situation there.

rapper Little Wang

I think it is Lil Wayne, but since we've seen "Little Wang" a couple of times here I think we should just run with it. 🙂

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Joe is in the studio with Mika, Willie, Donnie, Elyse, and David Ignatius.  Joe said he used to eat McDonald's when he was a student at the University of Alabama.  Mika was disgusted by Joe eating at McDonalds. Mika could afford five-star restaurants when she was in college!  Must be nice to be so privileged.

The top story is that Amb Marie Yovanavitch will testify. Mika said we are talking about extortion and bribery.  Speaker Pelosi said it is a bribe to withhold aid. Donnie gave a legal lecture about the definition of bribery.  

Joe keeps lecturing about hearsay again.  He loves to play law professor.  I would love to see an actual law professor on this show to address the issue of hearsay.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 4

Mika & Joe agreed to come to the studio in NYC because a longtime employee is leaving the show. There will be cake and alcohol served after the show.

Joe is making fun of Louisiana Senator Kennedy for being a Democrat in 2004.

They love replaying the clip of Kennedy when he was a Democrat.

It would be fun if they replayed the clips of Mika & Joe fawning all over President Trump throughout 2015 & 2016.

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika & Joe agreed to come to the studio in NYC because a longtime employee is leaving the show.

We've been joking about it for a while, but it looks like it is true. Only a party, gig or KYV event will get both of them to New York. (Although that was a nice sendoff.) 

Elyse: I don't understand how people in this White House can work with a white nationalist.

Me: Hmm, I do.

I appreciated Health Class with Joe and Mika. I really didn't know that I should wash my hands and get a flu shot.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, oakville said:

Donny discussed the case of Governor Blaggo from Illinois. He tried to sell Obama's Senate Seat.

Donnie was on a roll there making great points.  He pointed out a long list of elected officials currently in prison for soliciting bribes, even if the event they were to have been paid for never took place.  Donnie was tying up his points to produce a cogent sequence of thoughts, and on cue, Joe just suddenly bloviated over Donnie, interrupting him fully, mid-sentence.  There as a chaotic few moments where nothing anyone said was intelligible. 

Did they just say they are staying on air through the hearings?  Must miss TV
Imagine the hissy fit he must have thrown Wednesday and yesterday for this to happen.

• Love 4

Joe is opposed to segregationist policies.

Joe said the Republicans should get rid of Steven Miller for sending white nationalist emails to Breitbart.

Joe said that demographic changes favor the Democrats.

Joe said Trump's win in 2016 was a fluke.

Joe said that Texas could vote for Democrats in 2028.

• Love 3

Hoo man...Deval Patrick. He's a real dynamo, isn't he? At some point I became convinced he was Charlie Brown's teacher made sentient. 

Cause this was pretty much me after the first thirty seconds: