Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

I know they showed one of Mattis's soundbites from last night but as far as I'm concerned they should pre-empt the entire show for all of them as he was on fire last night.

I've posted a longer clip in the Small Talk thread.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

I've posted a longer clip in the Small Talk thread.

Thank you for this meowmommy.  Please know while I enjoyed watching him throw directly at Trump's head, I am tired of him hiding behind his "I'm a general and I can't comment" stance he has been taking.  Those rules went out the window a while ago and our country is at stake.  I hope he follows up these jollies with first hand testimony about what is going on in the WH and why we need to find a solution sooner rather than later.

• Love 3

I forgot to mention another annoyance from this (last?) week. 

Joe had a speech about how this Congress was the most diverse ever. 

You can thank the Democrats for that Joe. It's not a bipartisan effort.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, xaxat said:

I forgot to mention another annoyance from this (last?) week. 

Joe had a speech about how this Congress was the most diverse ever. 

You can thank the Democrats for that Joe. It's not a bipartisan effort.

I've come to realize that Joe just talks out of his ass every day (when he bothers to show up). I think that, in his heart, he is and always will be a "Republican" (whatever that means to him).

So, on some level, it just feels right to him to support Republicans and trash Democrats. So some days he twists himself in knots to do that. On the other hand, he's very angry at his beloved Republicans for supporting Trump, with whom he has personal beef. So some days he embraces Democratic achievements/ideals in order to seem "principled" and "non-partisan." 

Mostly, he just likes to hear himself talk and make money. Politics (of whatever party) are really secondary to those goals.

• Love 7

I think Joe knows that if he comes off as a right-wing-er  (and we know he he would have been a Tea Partier had he still been in office) ... he would not have a show on this particular network.  He forgets that we all watched him during the campaign...and the kissing-up he did to Trump.

• Love 4

I honestly think Joe is given too much credit as a "strategic thinker", who allegedly flip-flops, changes his position according to what is more popular/profitable, etc. and thinks about how he "comes across". Nah.

I don't think his mind works that way at all. I think he and Mika are both deeply emotional thinkers, and much less intellectual than they are deemed to be. I think they flip-flop in accordance with those emotions, which often makes them seem unprincipled. I think neither of them are aware  of their own hypocrisy or cultivate it in any way. I think they are both very emotional people who genuinely believe what they say in the moment. Personally this is one of the reasons I find them likeable/entertaining (like your favorite drunken relatives at the boring-ass family gathering). I'd never look to them for intelligent/academic analysis of the news - their show has NEVER been that. After 13 years, why is there still disappointment that they don't deliver the sort of serious, detached news they NEVER promised to deliver in the first place? It's like complaining those French fries don't contain all the nutrients! Well yeah, that was pretty obvious...gotta get those vitamins elsewhere... 😉

• Love 3
4 hours ago, neona said:

I think he and Mika are both deeply emotional thinkers, and much less intellectual than they are deemed to be.

Who deems them to be intellectual?  Maybe the people they see in the mirror.  I don't think they're deeply anything, unless it's possible to be deeply shallow.  When you are as shallow as they, you don't worry about what you said yesterday because you don't remember and don't care what you said yesterday.

4 hours ago, neona said:

I'd never look to them for intelligent/academic analysis of the news - their show has NEVER been that.

Then I see a lot of cognitive dissonance, because they have intelligent and academic analysts as regulars, semi-regulars, and guests on their show.  The chasm between shallow and deep is never so clear as when they engage with people who are smarter, better prepared, and more articulate than they are.  If they're content to stick to happy talk, let them, as I once suggested, add cooking segments and fashion tips, and never book anyone more challenging than a Kardashian.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

The top story is Nick Mulvaney.  NBC reporter Ken Dilanian appeared live.  Apparently, no one else wants to be on this show any more, so they have to use NBC reporters as guests.  Joe is repeatedly saying quid pro quo.  Mika said their hands are in the cookie jar and that is important.  Basically,  it is verbal vomit.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 10/17/2019 at 8:00 AM, Chloesmom said:

Ah there's Podhoretz in all his Cookie Monster sweater

He was on Kasie DC last night wearing the exact same sweater. It’s the same one Anne Hathaway wore in her first day as Miranda Priestly’s assistant so I know definitively the color is cerulean.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Then I see a lot of cognitive dissonance, because they have intelligent and academic analysts as regulars, semi-regulars, and guests on their show.  The chasm between shallow and deep is never so clear as when they engage with people who are smarter, better prepared, and more articulate than they are.

One thing they use the bunker for is to avoid interviews that require them to engage in conversation at a level more sophisticated than DC cocktail party chatter. They hand it over to Willie, Lemire or the panel in DC/NY and disappear. Today, during the interview with David Shulkin, Mika managed to misstate the name of his new book and then they were gone until the close.

Joe and Mika to Senator C****: Hunter Biden. . . Hunter Biden. . . Hunter Biden. . .

C****: It was a mistake in judgement, but there is no comparison to the outright corruption occurring in this administration.

Joe and Mika: No, there's no comparison at all, but Hunter Biden. . . Hunter Biden. . . Hunter Biden.

• Love 6

Jonathan LeMire can just shut up with his baseball talk; funny, I used to really like him.  That was before he got a seat at The Cool Kids's Table and is now (for me) into Barnicle territory. 

Meeka stumbled over "quid-pro-quo" - but that is not hard to do ... it is a bit of a tongue-twister.  Plus it is out of her "hmm, wow" area.  Quid-Pro-Quo Tourettes Syndrome!  Joe is aware enough to try and not say it too often.  

Boy, this show needs some freshening-up, guest-wise. Meeka's answer to a coherent Elise Jordan speech: she began with "wow", started to say something else and then Joe interrupted her to pontificate.  She came back with "yeah" ... Barbara Walters weeps.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Meeka's answer to a coherent Elise Jordan speech: she began with "wow", started to say something else and then Joe interrupted her to pontificate.  She came back with "yeah"

Mika is nothing more than a hype man:

"Wow!"

"Yeah!"

"Rando!"

Mika is to the Morning Joe crew as Flavor Flav was to Public Enemy.

41 minutes ago, xaxat said:

oe and Mika to Senator C****: Hunter Biden. . . Hunter Biden. . . Hunter Biden. . .

C****: It was a mistake in judgement, but there is no comparison to the outright corruption occurring in this administration.

Joe and Mika: No, there's no comparison at all, but Hunter Biden. . . Hunter Biden. . . Hunter Biden.

WTF was that?  Why are they bringing up something that was settled two weeks ago?  And Joe badgering C**** like that? Jesus.  

I will assume Chris C**** will not be appearing on Morning Joe any time soon ( or ever again). 

He looked PISSED.  And Mika shouting at him "we have to be able to talk about this".  All that was missing was her shoveling cake into her mouth. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

He looked PISSED. 

He did. And you could tell that Joe realized it when he tried to joke his way out of the interview and C**** did not say a single word.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

WTF was that?  Why are they bringing up something that was settled two weeks ago?  And Joe badgering C**** like that? Jesus.  

I will assume Chris C**** will not be appearing on Morning Joe any time soon ( or ever again). 

He looked PISSED.  And Mika shouting at him "we have to be able to talk about this".  All that was missing was her shoveling cake into her mouth. 

I said it before and I'll say it again. Mika has NO MORAL AUTHORITY WHATSOEVER to even be part of this discussion, let alone opine on its impropriety.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Eliot said:

Mika has NO MORAL AUTHORITY WHATSOEVER to even be part of this discussion, let alone opine on its impropriety.

It's incredible, right?  She is so un-selfaware.
1.  She was literally born into European aristocracy
2. Her father was a powerful international diplomat and wonk whose connections got her all life's early advantages including admission into Williams where she was not qualified otherwise
3. I can't say her name got her a job as a cub reporter, but her name absolutely got her Joe's attention and a seat early-on on his show
4. Her family connections, including her father, were/are frequent guests on the show
5. She married her boss and afterwards locked in probably the 2nd highest woman's salary at the network
Her position in the world right now is 100% dependent upon the status of her family. 
But we need to have a serious discussion about Hunter Biden.  Go fuck yourself, Mika.  If you were smarter, you would be able to create content and drama and friction without taking the stupidest, simplest, most hypocritical route.

• Love 14
37 minutes ago, The Solution said:

They might be the only people watching MJ too.

Well, now, don't count out all their latest  "esteemed experts" from their local community...I fail to see the value of having the Palm Beach county DA or local doctors pontificating on a national political show; more evidence that legit pundits are staying away from this shitshow.  Also, I 'm sure Mika's minions are forced to watch their hero. You know, to see how a real woman of value can stammer her way to the bottom.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

But we need to have a serious discussion about Hunter Biden.  Go fuck yourself, Mika.  If you were smarter, you would be able to create content and drama and friction without taking the stupidest, simplest, most hypocritical route

And Joe only has this job because he's a former Congressman.  

I don't even know why he was hired in the first place. Was it back when MSNBC was just throwing anyone on air to see who worked out and he happened to be standing in line to be in the audience of Dr Phil? 

Even Scarborough Country sucked. All he did was yell and make fun of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

And Joe only has this job because he's a former Congressman.

Without even stopping to think, I can come up with two former Congresscritters who could take this show and do great things with it, and are already on the network:  David Jolly and Donna Edwards.  What's so damn special about this one?

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Eliot said:

He was on Kasie DC last night wearing the exact same sweater. It’s the same one Anne Hathaway wore in her first day as Miranda Priestly’s assistant so I know definitively the color is cerulean.

And he has it on again just now.  I think maybe Mrs podhoretz has tossed him out.

Cerulean . . . Great post!  😊

• LOL 1
15 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Without even stopping to think, I can come up with two former Congresscritters who could take this show and do great things with it, and are already on the network:  David Jolly and Donna Edwards.  What's so damn special about this one?

Joe was lucky to takeover the morning show after Imus imploded for making racially insensitive comments about black female basketball players.

Joe was smart to team up with Mika & Willie to have a political show that was able to get good ratings from the 2008 GOP & Democratic nominations.

• Love 2

Polls are once again the top story.  A NY Times poll shows support for impeachment in six swing states, including Wisconsin and Michigan.

WaPo Eugene is back to talk about the polls.  He says voters are leaving the Trump train.  Willie said a majority of independents support the investigations. 

Joe said that people don't tell the truth to pollsters.  Barnicle agreed it is tough to get an assessment from the polls.

Twelve minutes in, and Joe is back with the insult riffs.  Joe said the Trump resort in Miami has bedbugs.  He is going on and on about bedbugs and some lawsuit by some guy who was bitten. Mika smirked and admired Joe because she agrees bedbugs are a big problem for the president.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • LOL 5

Did Joe discuss the Canadian election results ? It's shocking that he didn't provide his valuable insights into Canadian politics to the Canadian media.

I think Joe would be upset that the political party holding the balance of power is demanding Universal Pharmacare. People without private insurance would get access to prescription medication at little or no cost.

This is Joe's nightmare. Poor people getting pills.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I love it when Joe tells viewers about his conversations with people that come up to talk to him.

Joe said that a  retired senior who remembered that Joe was a popular Republican Congressman. He also knew that Joe was on TV but didn't watch the show because he liked to golf in the morning. The person wanted to get rid of Trump & replace him with Mike Pence. He also couldn't stand Democrats like Hillary Clinton & Elizabeth Warren.!  Joe's imaginary friends always agree with him!.

Joe said Republicans secretly agree with him that Trump should be impeached.

Joe defended Obama for for keeping illegal border crossings low.

Mika beamed at Joe throughout his story telling. She said wow!

Joe said if there was a secret ballot in the Senate, Pence would be President by noon!

Joe called Trump Swampman!

Joe hates Bed Bugs!. Mika started scratching herself.

Joe made fun of Doral Resort being empty in the summer.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Mika is by herself in the studio.  Joe is out on assignment to interview Ringo Starr. I think Joe stayed up to watch the World Series and has tickets in DC.  That is his "assignment."

The top story is Ukraine.  Ambassador Bill Taylor testified to the House yesterday.  They showed a transcript of his testimony Jonathan Lemire said there was quid pro quo. Mika asked David Ignatius if there was a crime. Mika, Ignatius is a reporter, not a lawyer.  Mika is dumber than a box of rocks.  Barnicle said there is a sea change.

Garrett Haake said people are shaken.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

I think Joe stayed up to watch the World Series and has tickets in DC. 

I bet Joe is in the DC studio Friday. The first Nationals' home game is that night. Monday off, they will be flying home after the Sunday night game. Tuesday back in the bunker.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, oakville said:

I love it when Joe tells viewers about his conversations with people that come up to talk to him.

Joe said that a  retired senior who remembered that Joe was a popular Republican Congressman. He also knew that Joe was on TV but didn't watch the show because he liked to golf in the morning. The person wanted to get rid of Trump & replace him with Mike Pence. He also couldn't stand Democrats like Hillary Clinton & Elizabeth Warren.!  Joe's imaginary friends always agree with him!.

Joe's imaginary friends remind me of Chris Evans, my imaginary husband. 

Yeah it's fun but I don't tell people about it on national television....because I don't want to appear to be a delusional fool. 

• LOL 8

I thought it was sad that Mika groaned when she told the panel that she would have to attend the World Series game with Joe this weekend.

She should let Joe go to the game with one of his friends that enjoys baseball.

I hope the Washington Nationals let Joe throw out the first pitch. It's an honor for the team to have someone of Joe's stature attend the game.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Mika is by herself in the studio.  Joe is out on assignment to interview Ringo Starr. I think Joe stayed up to watch the World Series and has tickets in DC.  That is his "assignment."

Snort, I had already tuned out before the announcement of Joe's interview with poor Ringo Starr (happen to catch it on the replay which made me giggle out loud).  I totally agree that the Scarborough's will be camping out in the DC area when WS games are scheduled and then back to the breakfast nook they will go.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, oakville said:

She should let Joe go to the game with one of his friends that enjoys baseball.

This.  I gave up baseball years ago, but the World Series should be attended by people who actually like the game, not some bimbo who's going to sigh and moan and passive-aggressive her husband for days for "making" her go to a game she doesn't understand and doesn't care about.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, suomi said:

He keeps her on a leash because he knows what she's capable of when her husband isn't around.

(If she did it to him she'll do it to me).

It would have to be someone with more money than Joe, will put up with her bullshit and use his power to help promote her scams on the network. 

I don't think he keeps her on a leash, she goes to these things so she can be seen and post photos on Instagram and have her cult tell her how pretty she is and how happy they are to see her having fun with Joe and keep on fighting for us we love you when are you coming to Tallahassee? 

Also she needs to have something to hold over him. "I went to that stupid World Series game, that will cost you five new pairs of shoes, a trip to France over Thanksgiving, and five emotional support cakes". 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Also she needs to have something to hold over him. "I went to that stupid World Series game, that will cost you five new pairs of shoes, a trip to France over Thanksgiving, and five emotional support cakes". 

Sigh . . . gives a whole new meaning to the word "transactional" doesn't it?  

• Love 2

Poor Meeka having to attend a World Series game.  She actually groaned when she said that? She is our Little Match Girl. 

I wish she would donate her ticket to a fan, stay home and binge Netflix while eating an entire cheese cake.  That would earn her points in my book.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Sigh . . . gives a whole new meaning to the word "transactional" doesn't it?  

I very much doubt it's transactional. To be honest, I've never understood where this conjecture comes from, watching the show, on a psychological level - they just seem super-codependent people who have lost their sense of self, mostly to the detriment of poor Mika, who seems lost, professionally and intellectually. It seems to me more like one of those intensely unhealthy, all-consuming emotional dramas than a financially transactional situation. I'd almost respect her more if it was a purely financial thing.  

• Love 3

Didn't Mika say she ate cake at the last game? That makes me think they were in a skybox or suite. That is a totally different world from sitting in the stands. If you want, you can just sit in the back, which is kind of like a small den, eat the catered spread and watch TV.

She's not suffering.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, neona said:

I very much doubt it's transactional. To be honest, I've never understood where this conjecture comes from, watching the show, on a psychological level - they just seem super-codependent people who have lost their sense of self, mostly to the detriment of poor Mika, who seems lost, professionally and intellectually. It seems to me more like one of those intensely unhealthy, all-consuming emotional dramas than a financially transactional situation. I'd almost respect her more if it was a purely financial thing.  

Mika's interviewing & teleprompter reading skills have deteriorated over the past few years.

She used to be involved in directly booking guests when the show started. The show used to spend more time covering issues other than politics in the pre Trump era. Mika was more involved in the discussions during those shows.

• Love 3

Joe and Mika are in DC out in front of the Capitol. It is breezy out there.  Thanks to this show for helping me with the local weather.  WaPo Eugene and David Ignatius are there.

Elijah Cummings' body will lie in state today.  Joe turns to baseball.  The Nationals are up 2-0 in the World Series.

They showed a Trump tweet from yesterday.  Mika says this is difficult to watch.  Joe said the defenses are crumbling.  Joe read some articles about the Ukraine.

Donnie Deutsch said Trump is in a box.  Donnie Deutsch is an expert on impeachment?  This dude needs to work out his personal problems with the president and stick to talking about advertising.  He is not credible on this topic because he dated Marla Maples.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, revbfc said:

So they’re having class outside on a 45 degree day?  They’ve had worse ideas, I guess.

Oh yikes the visuals get worse by the minute.  I thought Meeks was bad until I saw the left side of Joe's hair and then poor David Ignatius's hair getting blown to smithereens.   Good grief what is MSNBC thinking?

• Love 4

They said new polls show Biden leading the Dems.  Donnie said Biden is like your uncle and that's why people like him.  WaPo Eugene said Warren was evasive in the last debate.

Mika said people know Joe Biden is good.

Joe's hair in profile outside is about six inches higher than his head.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Joe just claimed they were tipped off about the Ukrainian aid situation more than a month ago. Could he not have been bothered to tip off any of the reporters he works with every day? Conversely, does he not fancy himself and Scoop Brzezinski to be journalists themselves?

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 11